[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mario Bros.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 12
File: Mario Bros Cartridge Scan.jpg (40 KB, 400x489) Image search: [Google]
Mario Bros Cartridge Scan.jpg
40 KB, 400x489
Mario Bros.
>>
Mario Bros.
>>
File: wiiu_failure.jpg (126 KB, 960x684) Image search: [Google]
wiiu_failure.jpg
126 KB, 960x684
>>3303967
>you lived long enough to see Nintendo go back to being third-party
Feels great, doesn't it?
>>
>>3304056
Why would it feel great? I just want to play their games.
>>
>>3304058
Nintendo should focus on making creative games for all platforms. Their hardware has always been complete shit, all the way back to the Famicom.
>>
They looks some goddamn the same
>>
>>3304062
But nintendo also offered a platform for such games. The death of nintendo is the death of games with good gameplay instead of just graphics. You will regret it, mark my words
>>
>>3304062
I'd say their HW has only been shit post GC. Prior to that, their consoles were all at least decent for the time of their releases
>>
>>3303967
>>3304045
Mario, Bros
>>
>>3303967
Why did those fucking assholes kill that fly? It's so happy looking.
>>
>>3304465
Then you only started playing games last in the ps2 era. Maybe later than that.
>>
I thought it was called Mario Twins?
>>
>>3304474
Nope, I've been playing games since the 70s. Tell me when you think Nintendo has been innovative. Go ahead.
>>
>>3304361
>The death of nintendo is the death of games with good gameplay

I suppose Nintendo died back in 1995 after a long period of suffering then, the things you learn from this board...
>>
>>3304490
Platformers like Mario and Kirby, adventure games like Metroid and Zelda, great party games like Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Mario Party, all didn't exist prior.

It's cool to hate Nintendo though, everyone has different tastes.
>>
>>3304504
Uh, what? They didn't innovate any of those.
>platformers
So many scrolling platformers existed before Mario that it's silly to list them all.
>adventure games
Again, so many existed before Zelda. What is wrong with you?
>party games
1. Many existed before Mario Party
2. Hudson made Mario Party.

I hope you're false flagging.
>>
>>3304504
>all didn't exist prior.
[citation needed]
>>
>>3304506
List some please.

You'll notice the influence before and after. For example, Sonic was inspired by Super Mario. No Nintendo = no Sonic. After Nintendo, Atari could never achieve the same success as they had with the 2600. Why is that?
>>
>>3304509
Are you serious? You're so ignorant that you think Mario is one of the first platform games? You think Zelda is the first adventure game? You think Mario Party is the first party game? That's so ludicrous if you're not trolling.
>For example, Sonic was inspired by Super Mario. No Nintendo = no Sonic.
How was Sonic inspired by Mario? Sonic was competition for Mario in terms of mascot platformers, but gameplay wise they are very different.
>After Nintendo, Atari could never achieve the same success as they had with the 2600.
Because they were more heavily focused on computers. The Atari ST was a great success and remained popular, especially in Europe, for many years. The NES took over the American market, but that doesn't mean it was innovative.
>>
>>3304508
>[citation needed]
Of course. There was no platform like Super Mario Bros. prior to it's release. They were mostly games similar to Mario Bros. (the arcade game) or Donkey Kong (which was admittedly a Space Panic clone).

After SMB, many companies attempted to achieve similar success with titles such Wonder Boy, the Gianna Sisters, Alex Kidd and Sonic the Hedgehog, all had a similar parallax scrolling style.
>>
>>3304521
>Of course. There was no platform like Super Mario Bros. prior to it's release.
What the fuck? There were many. Pac-Land is one and it was a hugely successful and popular game. Mario Bros and Donkey Kong weren't even scrolling platformers. There were dozens of scrolling platformers before SMB, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>3304519
>How was Sonic inspired by Mario?
>In designing the game mechanics, Naka was inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto, whose games he had enjoyed playing years earlier. Admiring the simplicity of Miyamoto's mechanics in complex environments, Naka decided that Sonic would be controlled with only a directional pad for movement and a single button for jumping. He also wanted his creation to be more action-oriented than the Mario series;[20] while playing Super Mario Bros., he had wondered why the levels could not be cleared more quickly.

Read about that here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(1991_video_game)#Programming_and_prototyping

Like I said, it's cool to hate Nintendo but don't act like they did nothing.

>>3304525
>dozens
Okay you have Pac-Land which isn't at all like SMB apart from running and jumping. Continue on down the list.
>>
>>3304521
>There was no platform like Super Mario Bros. prior to it's release.
[citation needed]

That's a lot of Nintendo Kool-Aid you're drinking though.

>>3304527
>which isn't at all like SMB apart from running and jumping.

I really hope for you you're just baiting and you don't seriously believe in what you're typing right now.
>>
>>3304527
Define what you think SMB innovated and we can talk. I don't know what you mean. It wasn't the first scrolling platformer, it wasn't the first anything, so what do you mean?

Doesn't seem like much of an inspiration. Simplicity. Okay, like most platformers of the 80s. SMB and Sonic are so vastly different that any inspiration was fleeting during development, as you have shown.
>>
>>3304529
>Nintendo has never made innovative or interesting games.
That's a spurious statement and I'm yet to see proof. Until then, I can make spurious statements myself.
>>
>>3304519
>being this wrong and not accepting it
>>
>>3304535
>That's a spurious statement and I'm yet to see proof.
Anything you name that you think was innovative can be shown to have been derivative. Nintendo's design philosophy all but precludes innovation.
>>
>>3304537
What am I wrong about?
>>
>>3304537
I literally admitted I was wrong here
>Okay you have Pac-Land

>>3304539
Okay, so show me one. Show me on for Zelda, or Mario Party. I'd like to play one of those, so list some titles.
>>
>>3304525
Someone hasn't provided any proof that their hate for Nintendo doesn't mean they didn't innovate and create certain types of genre basics and concepts.

Still waiting for some actual games or proof of your idiocy.
>>
>>3304535
>That's a spurious statement and I'm yet to see proof.

You didn't bring proof of anything yourself, why should I? And I'm going back to work right now, if you want to have a nice discussion you better be the one who backs up his assertion with facts once I come back, you're the one so desperate to proove that Nintendo did something original, not I.
>>
>>3304542
What? Like Adventure. There's an early action-adventure game for you.
>>
>>3304543
They didn't. Name a genre or piece of hardware that Nintendo innovated.
>>
>>3304540
When will you provide proof of your claims kid? What games came before Zelda and Mario that inspired them. Inspired them the same way every clone of Zelda and Mario after their release.
>>
i'm here to bring this thread back on it's track, step aside

Mario Bros.
>>
>>3304550
People have listed off several things. Your claims are that they haven't. The ball is in your hands to disprove it with citations or game names that were first. You haven't. Try harder kid.

>>3304547
LMFAO
>>
>>3304531
Sorry, missed your post. In terms of style, backdrop, enemies, controls, also being released on a home console helps.

>>3304545
>You didn't bring proof of anything yourself, why should I?
I have my proof, for example the developer of Sonic taking inspiration from the Mario games.
>>3304527
A list of innovative games that had precursor here
>>3304504
I've made the statement, I've backed it up. Show me their lack of innovation.

>>3304547
I guess, yeah. A box moving a key from room to room. Yeah that's pretty Zelda like.
>>
>>3304465
Obvious troll is obvious.
>>
>>3304551
Adventure, Pac-Land. There's one each. Xanadu, Jump Bug. There's another one each. Hydlide, Legend of Kage. There's another one each.
>>
>>3304560
>had no precursor
Correction.

Look like I said, if you don't like Nintendo, that's fine. Everyone can have their opinion. But don't act like the world would be exactly the same had they never existed, or that they did nothing at all to contribute to gaming.
>>
>>3304062
> Their hardware has always been complete shit, all the way back to the Famicom.

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but their hardware, Wii U excepted, has always been profitable. There's literally no reason for them to drop out of the hardware market at the moment. Maybe if they have another couple of Wii U's it might be something to think about.
>>
>>3304490
No you played games from the 70s there is a huge difference.
>>
>>3304560
Only controls would constitute innovation and Mario didn't innovate any control method or input. Sorry.

Zelda and Adventure are very similar. Don't get hung up on graphics.
>>3304562
Tell me what you think Nintendo has innovated. Don't be a retarded claiming that Nintendo invented things they didn't or that colours and art constitute innovation. That's like painting a house and claiming you built it.
>>
>>3304572
I'm a lot older than you, it seems. Why is it so hard to fathom that this board isn't full of teenagers?
>>
>>3304560
>Yeah that's pretty Zelda like.
Not the same guy, but Zelda was clearly inspired by computer dungeon crawlers a la Dragon Slayer. Now what "inspired" really constitutes is a different thing. Sonic is also really, really different from Mario, but we can all agree it would have never existed without the Nintendo game.
>>
>>3304563
>>3304575
None of those games are stylistically similar though. Xanadu is kind of similar to the dungeons of Zelda, Adventure is nothing at all like Zelda. Don't be ridiculous.

There was an outside component to Zelda as well, it wasn't just dungeon diving. Do you even fight enemies in Adventure?

>Hydlide
Now that's similar. I'll give you that. This is the kind of stuff I'm asking for.
>>
>>3304578
>Why is it so hard to fathom that this board isn't full of teenagers?
It's just hard to picture how someone who's as old as you say can be so ignorant.
>>
>>3304585
>Sonic is also really, really different from Mario
Agreed. I'm not insulting any non-Nintendo games, I love Sonic as well.

>it would have never existed without the Nintendo game
That's exactly my point. I'm not saying Nintendo is the greatest and everyone else just copied them, my point is that gaming would be different without them.
>>
>>3304586
>None of those games are stylistically similar though
We're talking about gameplay. A coat of paint doesn't constitute innovation.
>Do you even fight enemies in Adventure?
Yes.
>>3304592
>my point is that gaming would be different without them.
Maybe in the US. But they didn't make any hardware leaps or innovate anything. They just filled a market with games akin to what was popular in Japan at the time that Americans hadn't seen before.
>>
>>3304592
I was trying to draw a parallelism between Dragon Slayer/Zelda and Mario/Sonic.

You can't clain x wouldn't have existed without the Nintendo game and then discard Nintendo's own inspirations because they didn't make carbon copies.
>>
>>3304603
>We're talking about gameplay. A coat of paint doesn't constitute innovation.
I'd say going outside from dungeon in dungeon is hardly a coat of paint. Wouldn't you agree?

>They just filled a market with games akin to what was popular in Japan at the time that Americans hadn't seen before.
Exactly like Atari did, except with American arcade games. Nothing innovative, shit hardware.

So you're saying that gaming as a whole would be exactly the same if Nintendo had never existed? That they did nothing at all to contribute to gaming. I'm yet to see a true SMB before SMB. Pac-Land doesn't have warp zones, you don't jump on enemies to kill them, there's no run button, and there's no console port prior to SMB's release. Like I said, apart from running and jumping, they're not really similar.

I'm yet to see a precursor to Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.

>>3304616
>then discard Nintendo's own inspirations because they didn't make carbon copies.
I didn't. I did indeed agree Dragon Slayer and especially Hydlide are similar to Zelda (or rather Zelda is similar to them). That wasn't sarcasm. Once evidence backing the claim was presented, I changed my opinion. I remain firm regarding SMB, MP, MK, etc. however until someone shows me something that disputes that.
>>
>>3304620
>I'd say going outside from dungeon in dungeon is hardly a coat of paint. Wouldn't you agree?
A change of setting? Not really. The gameplay remains the same.
>So you're saying that gaming as a whole would be exactly the same if Nintendo had never existed?
Outside of the US and, maybe, Japan, yes.
>yet to see a true SMB before SMB. Pac-Land doesn't have warp zones, you don't jump on enemies to kill them, there's no run button, and there's no console port prior to SMB's release. Like I said, apart from running and jumping, they're not really similar.
They're very similar gameplay wise. It doesn't have to be a clone of it to be a pre-cursor to it. Warp zones aren't an innovation. Setting and enemies aren't an innovation. They are scrolling platformers that involve reaching a set point, the end of the stage. Console release? How is that an innovation?
>I'm yet to see a precursor to Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.
That's because you're looking for an exact clone and think looking different changes the core gameplay. You're an idiot.
>>
>>3304631
>Outside of the US and, maybe, Japan, yes.
Very bold claim. So no SNES, no Mega Drive, no Playstation. Everything would be the same in Europe and Australia? If you say so.

>It doesn't have to be a clone of it to be a pre-cursor to it.
Okay, so Pac-Land is a ripoff of Donkey Kong then. Cool, glad we agree there's no innovation anywhere.

>Warp zones aren't an innovation. Setting and enemies aren't an innovation.
Neither is parallax scrolling then I guess. Just a coat of paint.

>Console release? How is that an innovation?
Getting an arcade game to run on a home console seems like an achievement to me. What games would you deem innovative and having changed gaming as a whole? How do they differ from Nintendo's contributions?

>That's because you're looking for an exact clone and think looking different changes the core gameplay.
Actually no, I'm not. Dragon Slayer and Hydlide aren't an exact clone of Zelda (vice versa), they have a lot of features similar to it though so I accepted those games. I'm not looking for an exact clone, just something that was more innovative, perhaps something that had a larger impact and inspired developers and the games they made.

So list some Mario Kart and Party clones, no matter how broad. There are dozens of them, after all.
>>
>>3304056

Yeah man, nintendoooooomed!

They still have the chicken of the golden eggs that is Pokemon, they are never going third party as much as we'd want, /v/
>>
>>3304639
>Everything would be the same in Europe and Australia?

Why Europe and Australia specifically?

Actually, who gives a fuck about Australia at all?
>>
>>3304062
What. The Famicom was ahead of its time for 1983.
>>
>>3304675

s-shut up! euro computers were better!
>>
>>3304672
>Why Europe and Australia specifically?
>Outside of the US and, maybe, Japan, yes.
Because everyone knows the rest of Asia, South America and Africa/middle east are video game legends.

>Actually, who gives a fuck about Australia at all?
Nobody, but they had a few devs at least so I included them. I don't know where you're from, you could be a shitposter for all I know.

Let's cut to the chase, you're saying European/UK gaming would be the same with no Nintendo. I just want to be clear on that so I can stop talking to a retard right now.
>>
>>3304639
Somebody else here. I tested some BS (Satellaview) games a few days ago and a lot of the games on there were the same kind of party games like Mario Party but in 2D.
>>
>>3304683

No, I'm not the person you were arguing to, was just wondering why you'd think Australia matters at all, what game developers are from there?

Europe was Computer-land, I don't think consoles started being really popular there until the PS.
>>
>>3304675
Especially in terms of its expandability. Nintendo were able to envision a time when gaming might advance beyond single screens with a black background. Atari didn't and it shows in the 7800.
>>
>>3304687
>Satellaview
I always forget about that. But that's fine, I'm sick of talking about 30 year old shit anyway so I'll give you that.

>>3304691
Nothing I can think of off hand, some point and click companies in the 80s and 90s. Beneath a Steel Sky, whoever made that comes to mind. Who cares? Like I said, I thought you were an Australian who was about to list all the contributions they've made.
>>
>>3304691
>Europe was Computer-land, I don't think consoles started being really popular there until the PS
Sega consoles were huge in most PAL regions, but Nintendo...it didn't exist.
>>
The thing you must understand is that Europeans in general have less disposable income than Americans, also their shoebox homes less space. The European market couldn't really support both a console and computer market like ours could. For the same reason, Japan has always been a console-centric market and few people had home computers.
>>
>>3304669
Nintendo still makes loads of money, the WiiU had poor sales but one bad console isn't the death of Nintendo
One or two more expensive failures then maybe
>>
>>3304702

I don't know if huge, more popular than Nintendo yes, but Computers dominated over consoles, unlike Japan.
>>
>>3304490
>Nope, I've been playing games since the 70s
Playing Space Invaders on an emulator since 2011 because you're underage doesn't count.
>>
>>3304705
>Europoors
Also Europe is still pretty computer dominated
>>
>>3304709
>>3304702
The Master System/Mega Drive were quite big here yes, though they did appeal to a bit younger audience. Most console gamers were children while computer gamers were 14 and up.
>>
>>3304712
It's less a matter of per capital income and more that European/Japanese living costs are stupid high compared to the US.
>>
Having said that, computer saturation was highest in Europe but in terms of game design/innovation they were really weak until the 90s. Only once PCs got big and 8/16-bit computers faded did we see European game innovation take off so then you had UFO Defense, Rayman, Serious Sam, etc.
>>
>>3304705
I also think the tiny size of European homes is one reason for the persistence of 8-bit computers. A Sinclair Spectrum takes a _bit_ less space than a giant-ass 286 PC.
>>
>>3304525
>There were many. Pac-Land is one and it was a hugely successful and popular game

Not over here because of the video game crash. It came out in arcades in 1984. Bad timing.
>>
>>3304509
>Atari could never achieve the same success as they had with the 2600. Why is that?

Mostly bad business decisions by the Ray Kassar crew that killed innovation at Atari.
>>
File: Smb2_comparison[1].png (4 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Smb2_comparison[1].png
4 KB, 256x224
>>3304575
> Tell me what you think Nintendo has innovated. Don't be a retarded claiming that Nintendo invented things they didn't or that colours and art constitute innovation. That's like painting a house and claiming you built it.

Anon, you have to understand that something being popular is not always about making something new. People around like like to put down certain products just because they never enjoyed them, with the justification of not being innovative. Why is Skyrim popular when it doesn't innovate anything compared to Daggerfall? Maybe it doesn't innovate a thing, but if the overall product is of a high quality, it will be popular.

I don't care if Nintendo is innovative or not. It makes fantastic games that, for some reason, not every company can achieve. Not innovative, but maybe different

tl;dr: Innovation is overrated and the games you like are never innovative, but they make good use of other innovations.
>>
>>3304750

Not the other anon, but I think Nintendo has always had a cautious attitude about innovation. They tend to stick with initially successful formulas, and milk them until the public gets bored and moves on to one of the company's competitors. Nintendo did take occasional risks though, such as with Zelda II. It's too bad Nintendo IPs don't see that kind of innovation today. Now every Zelda sequel is doomed to be an OoT or Wind Waker clone because Nintendo R&D can't see beyond sales figures.
>>
I loved the 2 player deathmatch game in Mario 3 allstars. I didn't know it was actually a version of the original Mario Bros. arcade machine until years later.
>>
>>3304772
Those sort of sidescrolling semi-RPGs were kind of popular back in the day in Japan, though. Not sure that's actually a risk.
>>
>>3304876

It's also on the original NES version
>>
None of the home versions of MB got everything from the arcade game and only the Apple II port got the falling icicles.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnU-2HRJNO4
MAAAARIO WHERE AAARE YOOOOU?!
>>
>>3304705
Yeah, all those Americans making 25K a year (half the country's population) sure have so much disposable income.
>>
>>3304981

>>3304717
>>
>>3304056
>The original Wii gets a sales boost on Q4 2012, despite the Wii U launching during that period.
>The original Wii outsells the Wii U in the first half of 2013, despite the Wii U being its intended successor.
How did Nintendo fucked up this badly? At least when the PS2 was outselling the PS3, it was because the PS3 was still pretty expensive.
>>
>>3304403
Nah, they have definitely always been pretty shit.

>NES: worst sprite flicker of '80s consoles, needed MMC's to fix this
>SNES: bad processor speed and SPU buffer size negatively affected games
>N64: cartridges instead of CD's, that horrendous trident controller design
>>
>>3305198
>NES: worst sprite flicker of '80s consoles, needed MMC's to fix this

That's just because it has an eight sprite per line limitation. Also well-programmed games didn't have flicker.
>>
>>3305198

None of that makes the consoles "pretty shit" you're just nitpicking stuff to fit your own anti-nintendo agenda.
The same could be done to any other system.

The reality is that the Famicom was indeed a good system in 1983, the SNES delivered many of the best 4th gen games (and yes, without slowdown, also Genesis also has a lot of games with slowdowns, most of the times the reason wasn't the CPU speed, but the devs' own inaptitude) and finally the N64 had the most advanced 3D graphics for home systems until the first 3dfx card got released later in 1996 for PCs.

Your hateboner for Nintendo knows no boundaries.
Just limit yourself to calling nintendo kiddi or shit like that, trying to babble about tech stuff only makes you look stupider.
>>
>>3305224
>Also well-programmed games didn't have flicker.
Except, you know, Megaman, the most iconic NES series.
>>
>>3305245
Triggered Nintendo fanboy spotted.

Your favorite company's consoles are all garbage, deal with fucking it.
>>
>>3305258

Jokes on you, I actually never owned a Nintendo console, always played on PC and emulation.
You're still bullshiting and nitpicking stuff to fit your anti-nintendo agenda. Grow a pair.
>>
>>3305261
A PC enthusiast wouldn't have been upset enough to bother writing up that sorry excuse of a post in defence of a subpar videogames company.
>>
>>3304567
>their hardware, Wii U excepted, has always been profitable
Even the Wii U is profitable at this point. Barely, but they are making a profit on it.

That said, modern Nintendo is primarily living off past Wii bank and 3DS sales, which are in no short supply.
>>
>>3304676
Go back to your ZX Spectrum calculator.
>>
>>3304980
MARY OH
>>
>>3305272

I wasn't defending Nintendo, just pointing out how biased you are. The same nitpicking could be made for any other system, including PCs.
>>
>>3305309
Yes, but the thread's about Nintendo. Did you seriously expect someone to not come along and point out their hardware's specific flaws?

Get a grip, kiddo.
>>
>>3305354
I thought this was a Mario Bros thread, not a hardware thread.

What's your high-score? Can you beat Billy Mitchell at Mario Bros.? Don't think so.
>>
>>3305365
>What's your high-score?
I don't waste my time on Nintendo shovelware.
>>
>>3305368

You sure waste a lot of time bitching about Nintendo, though.
Meanwhile, Mitchell has his name in several guiness book and still holds the Pac-Man perfect score, only human to be able to do it.

You're just a casual scrub.
>>
>>3305382
And have you seen videos of him? He's a complete sperg that can't stop thinking about Pacman.

Of course, an autist like yourself would idolise someone like that though.
>>
>>3304702
When will this meme end

90 per cent of kids in every school had a nintendo when I was a kid in the early 90s
>>
>>3305394

Keep telling that to yourself. You're just completely MAD that an american is one of the best arcade players in the world, and among these arcade games, many are Nintendo games.

Suck it, suck it dry.
>>
>>3305413
Why would I care about some Nintendo-obsessed manchild?

Is this really what Americans look up to as role models? Sad.
>>
>>3305245
>The reality is that the Famicom was indeed a good system in 1983
Compared with the Atari 7800 which would have come out a year later under the original schedule and which was just a slightly enhanced 2600 with no provisions for cartridge expansion.
>>
>>3305429

Pac-Man isn't a Nintendo game.

he also has scores for many other arcade games and countless Pinball boards from the 70s.

I'm not the person you replied to by the way, I think Mitchell is a faggot, but yeah he has achieved some impressive stuff in arcade games. He's not the only one though.
>>
>>3300897
I bet you this is the same autist.
>>
>>3305446

It's called Australia-kun. Learn your shitposters' handles, it could save your life.
>>
>>3305434
>Pac-Man isn't a Nintendo game.
Didn't say it was. I was referring to this line:

>many are Nintendo games.

He can have all the high scores in Nintendo shit all he wants, doesn't change the fact that Nintendo games are rubbish.
>>
Giana Sisters also is a shit copy of SMB and not near as good of a game no matter how many Yuropoor autists on Lemon64 wank to it.
>>
>>3305462
>Giana Sisters also is a shit copy of SMB
Prove it.
>>
>>3305458

Keep suffering about it, doesn't change the fact that your shitty name and last name will never be attached to any high score on any guiness book, ever.

On the other hand, an american with a NINTENDO game is. Suffer, suffer because of it!
>>
File: giana_sisters.png (314 KB, 2041x7034) Image search: [Google]
giana_sisters.png
314 KB, 2041x7034
It's hardly a bad game of course but still has markedly less content than SMB and the music is also unremarkable.
>>
>>3305503
Especially the enemies in Giana Sisters are very unmemorable.
>>
>>3305505
Same with Turrican. They just look like an indistinct glob of brown and gray pixels.
>>
>>3305503
The music in GGS is very low key and amelodic. It doesn't stand out at all like the catchy jazz-inspired Koji Kondo compositions.
>>
Maybe everything Nintendo and Sega should just be banned. We have retarded rules anyway, why not add another?
>>
>>3305552
Kill yourself gen6babby, there's nothing wrong with the current rules.
>>
>>3305198
>>NES: worst sprite flicker of '80s consoles, needed MMC's to fix this
Anon, sprite flicker was never fixed by MMCs. MMCs only existed to add features like 4-directional scrolling, scanline counters for background-splitting, etc. Basically all features for the background layer rather than sprites.

The only MMC that affected sprites was the MMC2, and that was only used in one game - Punch-Out - to allow large groups of sprites to move and change in unison to form bigger sprites. Even then it didn't fix the flicker. Punch-Out was just programmed cleverly enough to not use more than 8 sprites per scanline.

>>3305249
MegaMan is a Capcom game using Nintendo's stock MMCs.
>>
>>3305589
>Even then it didn't fix the flicker. Punch-Out was just programmed cleverly enough to not use more than 8 sprites per scanline

Correct. Well programmed games didn't go over the sprite limit.
>>
>>3305589
>MegaMan is a Capcom game using Nintendo's stock MMCs.
Right, and the stock MMCs in the NES are fucking atrocious. That's why so many NES games suffer from sprite flicker and massive slowdown.
>>
>>3305595
the flicker is a limitation of the PPU; mapper chips had nothing to do with that
>>
>>3305595
You just ignored everything I said. MMCs did nothing about the sprite flicker, because they physically couldn't. The only way you could write a mapper to deal with the sprite flicker would be to have a powerful modern processor contained within the cartridge writing to a framebuffer which then gets written to background tiles in VRAM, and even then you'd be dealing with the palette limitations of the background layer.

Slowdown is the same deal. It's a result of the 6502 not being fast enough to complete all computations in one frame, so unless you offloaded some of the work onto a separate onboard processor (some SNES games did this, like Super Mario RPG) there's not a single thing you can do about it.
>>
>>3305632

You're arguing with fucking australia-kun. don't reply
>>
>>3304563
That almost no one played. Yes they was games before but no one scrambled to make clones of them either at the time. But after those early nes games you started to see more pop up. That is what I think they mean.
>>
>>3305632
>>3305603
Both faulty MMCs and the PPU were to blame. Good MMCs could make some Famicom games decent, though, such as Akumajou Denetsu.
>>
>>3304578
You are not older than me. I'm sure of that. I don't think that it's all teenagers here but I do think there are a lot of stupid people in retro gaming that think they understand everything about it.
>>
>>3304707
This, Nintendo is bigger than Sony, not just the gaming division, the whole of Sony, meanwhile Microsoft's Xbox division has been losing money since the start. Love or hate their products, they're good at what they do and they know how to exploit their market share for maximum profits.

The Wii U is what, their first major fuck up? Second if you could the Virtual Boy?
>>
>>3305714
>The Wii U is what, their first major fuck up? Second if you could the Virtual Boy?

Gamecube sold like arse, N64 sold like arse (except in Burgerland), SNES didn't sell until the Mega Drive and PC Engine were discontinued.
>>
>>3305719
>SNES didn't sell until the Mega Drive and PC Engine were discontinued.

Hahaa
>>
>>3305721
It's a well-known fact that SNES started gaining sales rapidly in 1994, because Americans are graphics whores and lapped up DKC like sheep.

By that point, MD and PCE were already phased out. Their success would be short-lived, though, thanks to PSX.
>>
>>3305690
Akumajou Denetsu used the VRC6, which is a very mediocre mapper. The only advantage is some additional sound channels. The MMC5 is miles better in terms of graphical capabilities.
>>
>>3305749

Yeah sure, DKC was the only reason SNES got sold.
Killer app as they call it, right?
>>
>>3305757
That and no competition, Playstation was still new and the other 4th gen systems were getting successors (NEC's, unfortunately, would fail, while SEGA's would be a huge hit in Japan).
>>
>>3305749
Vat. SNES was selling briskly after the first six or so months once it got a decent amount of games.
>>
File: kojimaglass.jpg (68 KB, 673x929) Image search: [Google]
kojimaglass.jpg
68 KB, 673x929
>>3305771

Yeah sure, the SNES was all alone in the market. Just it and DKC, nothing else.
>>
>>3305879
SNES was a flop for the majority of its life. It only really picked up from '94-'95.
>>
>>3305913

Source: your delusional fanboy mind
>>
>>3305918
>>
>>3305918
>SNES fanboy calling other people fanboys
The ironing.
>>
>>3306013

So in order to not be labeled as a "SNES fanboy" I have to pretend I believe that "SNES was a flop for the majority of its life. It only really picked up from '94-'95." and "SNES didn't sell until the Mega Drive and PC Engine were discontinued."?

Yeah bro the SNES was a major failure, it sold like 2 copies and only in USA.

Everybody knows that.
>>
>>3306032
The SNES was a complete bomb in the only market that actually mattered (Europe).

>giving a shit what Murrifats play
>>
>>3306039

Yeah dude, it sold, liek, 2 copies, and the only game for it was DKC.

Did it had any other game?
>>
>>3306045
Well, it also had that shitty Gradius III port that runs at like 5fps.
>>
>>3306060

Oh yes, that one, I bet it didn't even sell 1 copy, who would bought a slowed down, muffled port, am I right?

I don't even know how the SNES exists... are we sure it exists and isn't it just an AVGN meme? XD
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9-l_jeYA44
>>
>>3306087
The sound is so bad compared to the NES.
>>
Is that Mr Krabs on the front cover?
>>
File: 1371390009616.jpg (215 KB, 756x972) Image search: [Google]
1371390009616.jpg
215 KB, 756x972
>>3305249
>the most iconic NES series.
>>
>>3306087
>BZZT BRAARK
Fucking who designed these sounds?
>>
>all these europoors defending their desktop calculators
Ha ha ha.
>>
I wish this game got a remake/remix in the same style of Donkey Kong '93, some one was working on something like it, but they never made more than a one world demo.

I think it's fun. The lack of music and having to commit to jumps is kind of a downer, but that's what the GBA versions included in all the GBA Mario games are for.
>>
The arcade Mario Bros was not a hit in the US because it arrived as the video game crash was unfolding and the game got only half as many home conversions as earlier games like Donkey Kong (only ported to the Atari 800, Commodore 64, Apple II, Atari 2600, and NES).
>>
>>3306501
Well, and it was a crappy game. Although, so was Donkey Kong but Americans still liked that for some reason.
>>
File: 1442549083169.png (5 KB, 601x695) Image search: [Google]
1442549083169.png
5 KB, 601x695
>>3305719
>>3305749
>>3305913
>>3306013
>>3306039
>>3306045
>>3306060
>>
>>3306534
>Well, and it was a crappy game.
It was the original VS game. Fierce competition, the likes of which could forge or destroy friendships. You think Mario Party lets you be a dick to your friends? It doesn't even hold a candle to Mario Bros.
>>
>>3306542
>It was the original VS game
Yes, unlike every other competitive game. Most of which were much better. Why do Americans think Nintendo were the first in everything? I saw someone claim that Mario 64 was the first 3D platformer once.
>>
>>3306549

Not him but I tend to say Nintendo was the first on everything because I know it offends certain "special" people around here.
I also like to say I learned stuff from watching Cinemassacre, just because it also offends said "special" people.
>>
File: joust.jpg (2 MB, 1530x2100) Image search: [Google]
joust.jpg
2 MB, 1530x2100
>>3306542
>It was the original VS game.
Niggas don't know 'bout muh Joust.
>>
>>3306534
What's wrong with DK?
>>
>>3306591

It's by nintendo so it triggers autralia-kun badly.
>>
>>3306591
It's not on his shitty ZX Spectrum.
>>
>>3306593

It is, but as most euro computer ports, it's not very faithful to the arcade.
>>
>>3306593
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WP5Pqfcrb4

Yes it is and this version is almost unplayable because too many barrels on the first stage.
>>
>>3306603
That makes it better by being less casual than the original version.
>>
>>3306616
The arcade game is not easy to begin with because they wanted to keep slurping down your quarters. That Spectrum port is just bad programming like most home versions of arcade stuff.
>>
>>3306621
Donkey Kong is easy for an arcade game. All Nintendo games are easy next to the games of their contemporaries.
>>
>>3306629
Australia-kun continues to embarrass himself with each post.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>3306621
>DK Arcade
>not incredibly easy to 1cc

Maybe to millennial Nintendildos who started gaming on the Stupor Nintendo.
>>
>>3306636

>>3306632
>>
>>3306629
>>3306636
HOLY SHIT, AUSTRALIA-KUN IS MULTIPLYING
>>
>>3306637
Australia and I aren't the same poster, you fucking dipshit. I will admit to using a few of his memes though, because I laugh at people's reactions to them.
>>
>>3306646
>because I laugh at people's reactions to them.

Getting called a legit autistic retard and getting posts deleted?
>>
>>3306632
Explain how Donkey Kong is hard. Go ahead.
>>
>>3306660

If you aren't calculating almost every inch of the patterns of the springs on the 3rd or 4th elevator screen, you won't probably survive it.

The high scores for DK are over 1m points now.
How high can you get?
>>
>>3306660

It's an arcade game. There are people that have mastered it, but only a few.

If you feel it's easy, go ahead and beat the WR

inb4 "I don't play nintendo", then don't ask.
>>
>>3306662
The springs are extremely easy to avoid. Do you have muscular dystrophy?
>>3306663
Yes, I'm going to play a boring, crappy game over and over just to prove some American Nintenyearold wrong who has probably never even stepped foot in an arcade.
>>
>>3306662
>>3306663
Not him, but beating DK Arcade was necessary in order to 101% Donkey Kong 64, which I did when I was 12-years-old.

DK Arcade is not a hard videogame.
>>
>>3306667

>The springs are extremely easy to avoid.

Sure they are.

>>3306667
>to prove some American Nintenyearold

not your boogeyman nintendo evil yakuzas, Guiness cares. You could get your name on Guiness and be famous, how about it? If it's so easy and casual, do it, shouldn't take you too much time with your extremely hardcore australian skills.
>>
>>3306669

You can't "beat" DK, it's an arcade game, you play for score.

On DK64 you get the nintendo coin by beating the main 4 levels, but the game loops. By the 3rd loop the games starts being challenging.

An average person's DK play is about 10 to 15 minutes before they reach a game over screen, a pro can last for hours.

How high can you get?
>>
>>3306672
To normal people, beating the game means clearing the first loop.

Also, "how high can you get" is referring to each stage's height, not your score.
>>
>>3306674
>To normal people, beating the game means clearing the first loop.

That's not how arcade gaming works.

Nobody would simply stop playing because they beat the first loop, they stop playing when they get Game Over.
>>
>>3306672
Reminder that Arcadia, an official arcade standard in Japan, only records the first 1 to 2 loops of an arcade game's score if the game is an infinite-looper.
>>
>>3306678
So you concede that Donkey Kong is easy to 1-ALL then?
>>
>>3306690

Getting sub-1k points? Yeah, that's easy, but that's not what people consider playing DK or arcades in general. You play for scores, not to see an ending screen with credits and stuff.

>>3306681
That's mostly for shmups that have loops of over 40 minutes long, it's reasonable.
>>
So the guy obsessed with Australia-kun is a hardcore Donkey Kong superplayer, huh?

Where's a picture of your high score?
>>
>>3306701
>So the guy obsessed with Australia-kun

No, apparently the "guy obsessed with australia-kun" (because obviously it's just ONE guy who can recognize him) is the actual janitor, or maybe the mod, or maybe Hiroyuki himself.
>>
>>3306672
So 1CC is easy. Thinks.
>>
>>3306703
>the "guy obsessed with australia-kun" (because obviously it's just ONE guy who can recognize him)
There's definitely an autistic poster that's still butthurt over an argument he had with Australia over six months ago and still brings up certain things from it, like how he modded his console to do 60hz because he worked at an electronics store and the Bloodlines being edgy thing.
>>
>>3306706

Sure if you can reach the kill screen, you can consider it "complete"
>>
>>3306710

Yes, of course, it's just one guy, and it's the mod!
People obviously wouldn't normally recognize australia-kun since he's so subtle, right?
>>
>>3306716
I honestly don't think anyone else would care as much as you do tbqh.

Admit it, you got blown the fuck out by him and have held a grudge ever since.
>>
>>3306710

Nobody ever had an actual argument with him, everybody was just laughing at the whole "bloodlines is edgy and the correct way of pronouncing Sega is See-ga", among other of his famous lines.
>>
>>3306719

Yes, it's obviously just me and I'm also the owner of 4chan and that's why I delete the shitposts of australia-kun.
>>
>>3306719

AK is a rampant shitposter, it's not just 1 guy sick of him. Also he never BTFO anybody, he's always having childish tantrums, people only reply to him to mock him.
>>
>>3306740
>>3306730
>samefagging to make your story seem more plausible

What a shame.
>>
>>3306748

Why would I need to samefag? I am the owner of 4chan, that's why I can delete Australia-kun's posts.
>>
>>3306751
Then how come his computer thread's been up for almost 3 days now?
>>
>>3306748

It's on the archives, I don't need to make up any story.
>>
>>3306754

Okay, you got me, I'm not 4chan's owner, but I'm also not the only guy who can tell Australia-kun is around when he starts having his autistic rants about yanks and what not.
>>
>>3306756
The story that several people are retarded enough to pull the Australia-kun strawman.
>>
>>3304981
You wasn't around in the 80s when we all had money. Fuck off.
>>
>>3306763
>everyone that says "yank" is Australia-kun
I guess you don't talk to many Europeans?
>>
>>3306764

Show me 1 example of people pulling the "strawman" when it didn't fit.

It's easy as shit to recognize australia-kun, he always posts the same stuff.
>>
>>3306773

I am European and I've had Australia-kun call me a yank while posting his usual Tomoko reaction pics.

Stop defending chronic shitposters.
>>
>>3306774
Since you asked, ya wanker.

>>3305923
>>
>>3306782

It was Australia-kun, though

>>3305837

Try again.
>>
>>3306784
>people that post Watamote images from their phone are Australian now

Autism as fuck.
>>
>>3306787

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that there's many, many people that post phone Watamote images and always bitch about Nintendo, yanks, yadda yadda.

But of course, only one guy complain about all these people, who also happens to be the mod that deletes his posts.

it all makes perfect sense.
>>
>>3306789
Instead of shitting up /vr/ with you pretending to be Sherlock Holmes, you can A) stop taking his bait, and B) stop forcing the shitty Australia-kun meme.

Jesus, /vr/ has to be the crybabiest board on 4chan.
>>
>>3306784
It happened in this very thread.

I was >>3306629 and someone accused me of being Australia-kun, then the real Australia-kun posted.
>>
>>3306801
>Australia-kun meme.

Sadly it's not a meme, and nobody "takes his bait", it's always so obvious it's him, it can't be considered bait.

Also, the actual crybaby was him yesterday when mods deleted his posts and he was like "waaah waaah, why do mods side with the nintendo fanboys".
>>
>>3306812
Guess you'll just have to petition to Hiro to get all of Australia banned like how he banned all of Russia the other day.
>>
>>3306814

I don't have to do anything, I don't really mind stralia-kun, he entertains me.
>>
>>3306812
Name one thing bad about Australia-kun other than he doesn't like Nintendo stuff.
>>
>>3306817
Then you're just as shitty as him and don't care about the quality of /vr/.
>>
>>3306818

He avatarfags with Tomoko and calls anyone who doesn't agree with him a "yank"
>>
>>3306812
Are you the same autistic anon the other day that said he'd be writing an essay on the psychology of Australia-kun over at /v/?

If so, how'd it go?
>>
>>3306818

>>3305320
>>3300878

Those are 2 Australia-kun classic shitposts that aren't related to nintendo.
>>
>>3306825

Not him, I don't go to /v/, but if there really is someone writing an essay on a shitposter he should shoot himself.
>>
>>3305354
>kiddo
butthurt 14 year old spotted
>>
>>3306549
Mario 64 was the first good one though
>>
>>3307406
>good
Not with that shitty camera and slippery controls, it isn't.
>>
>>3307839
>slippery controls

How about you get good and learn them? I know, too much work for you.
>>
File: jumping-flash.jpg (97 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
jumping-flash.jpg
97 KB, 650x650
>>3307846
Because I'd rather be playing actually good 3D platformers instead.
>>
>>3307880

Well, good taste, JF is great.

You still need to git gud at SM64 if you think the controls are "slippery"
>>
>>3306754
Cuz I liked that thread.
>>
>>3307883
>You still need to git gud at SM64 if you think the controls are "slippery"
That argument is as dumb as saying Virgin Aladdin has good hitboxes if you only learn where the bad hitboxes are.

Sure, you can "adapt" to the slippery controls, that doesn't mean that they aren't fundamentally slippery however.
>>
>>3307892

I disagree, there's nothing technically impressive you can do on any Virgin game, while mastering SM64's controls and physics is possible, and speedrunners can achieve very cool stuff.

At any rate, I accept your complaint about the camera (although it hardly breaks the game), but slippery controls? only on the ice levels.
>>
People that complain about the way mario 64 controls probably never played 3d platformers before it.
>>
>>3307897
A game being a broken mess that can be exploited for speedrun purposes isn't really a good thing, though.

Isn't it possible to beat the game with 0 stars? That's just poor programming.
>>
Why does Mario have to do a slide every time you stop moving him in SM64, even when not on ice? I can't think of any other 3D platformer that actually does this.
>>
>>3307937

Example? I'm trying it right now and when I stop moving the stick, Mario stops moving, unless I'm running, but even if running the momentum time until he stops is very short, doesn't really feels like it's slippery.
>>
>>3307937
Mario's always had poor controls, even before it went 3D. Not sure how anyone can enjoy that rubbish.
>>
>>3308204
>rubbish

nice keyword, makes it easier to identify your posts

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3303967#p3305458

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3300868#p3303787

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3300868#p3303139

You're so fucking retarded australia, so fucking retarded.
>>
>>3308204
This. Nintendo learnt from their mistakes and so made Wario have tight controls.
>>
>this widely acclaimed game is actually shit

one of you fuckers is the guy that makes the Metal gear overrated threads. I'm sure of it.
>>
>>3308225
>it's just one guy that makes /ogg/
paranoid much?
>>
>>3308228
Except hes right, I'm that one guy.
>>
>>3308230

No, I am. I'm also the mod who deletes australia-kun's posts.
>>
>>3308231
Well stop that, bullying the mentally ill isn't very nice.
>>
No I am iron man
>>
>>3306591
https://youtu.be/IzI1RBdK2_g
>>
>>3305719
You really need too post a source that supports these claims, otherwise you will just be seen as retarded.
>>
>>3303967
>on atari 7800

The way America intended.
Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.