[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Americans cope with having to use the shittier TV encoding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9
File: pal gives a superior picture.jpg (87 KB, 627x315) Image search: [Google]
pal gives a superior picture.jpg
87 KB, 627x315
How did Americans cope with having to use the shittier TV encoding format to play their videogames on?
>>
>>3305320
By having games that play at the correct speeds. I'm British and refuse to collect pal for this reason. And know quite a few people with full collections full of crappy pal games all running at the wrong apeed. They wasted 10s of thousands on these.
>>
Australia-kun, tell your "mate" to shove his dick deep into your asshole and stop posting on /vr/
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>3305335
>By having games that play at the correct speeds.

Nice meme.. When the videogames are optimised well, they run perfectly fine.

>>3305339
Wow, rude.
>>
>>3305335
/thread
>>
>>3305343
>Nice meme.. When the videogames are optimised well, they run perfectly fine.

90% dont
>>
>>3305320
Speaking as a Yuropeen, PAL is the superior TV encoding format, but that's pretty much entirely irrelevant in the context of /vr/ since most /vr/ consoles only producea small number of colours and the vast majority of console games worth discussing here were developed with NTSC in mind.

Playing games in the inferior encoding format is still better than playing games shoddily released for the superior encoding format.

Many games are optimised for PAL and run at the correct speed, but you usually still have the thick borders to worry about (which is the real issue, IMO - I rarely even notice the speed difference), and even if you don't there aren't really any games that benefit from using PAL. Crash Bandicoot is the only American or Japanese game I can think of that actually looks better on a PAL system.
>>
File: 1463081746694.jpg (22 KB, 363x320) Image search: [Google]
1463081746694.jpg
22 KB, 363x320
They didn't care because back then /vr/ wasn't shitposter central.
>>
File: 1461498202088.jpg (48 KB, 637x473) Image search: [Google]
1461498202088.jpg
48 KB, 637x473
>>3305343
>When the videogames are optimised well, they run perfectly fine.
And just how well are those seven games treating you, anon? Surely, you get tired of playing Super Mario World and Rare's library after a while, don't you?
>>
>>3305406
Most Sega games were.
>>
>>3305320
Probably by playing at 60hz and with no black bars.

>europoors
>>
>>3306846
Enjoy your Never Twice the Same Colour, you stupid yank.
>>
>>3306848
That's fine Australia-kun. Enjoy your Poorfags Always Lagging.

>50hz
>blackbars
>>
>>3306839
No they weren't. The music runs at the correct speed (only exception I know of is Sonic 1) so I even have trouble noticing the difference but very few mega drive games were PAL-optimised.
>>
>Australians can't comprehend that 60 is a larger number than 50
>>
>>3305335
Most games aren't region locked.
>>
>>3306931
If you import an American or Japanese game and run it on a PAL console, it will still be slow. You have to mod the console itself.
>>
>>3306936
Yes, so? That's very easy to do.
>>
>>3306937
It is, but I don't see what "most games aren't region locked" has to do with collecting PAL games or not, because the speed problem has nothing to do with the games themselves but the hardware.
>>
>>3306943
Actually, PAL games would be games optimised for PAL. Otherwise they're the same as their NTSC counterparts.
>>
>>3305467
Australia-kun obviously never gets tired of anything.
>>
>>3305467
>playing Nintendo shit
At least Battletoads was decent on MD.
>>
File: beyond-8ec16446faf4.gif (165 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
beyond-8ec16446faf4.gif
165 KB, 500x480
>>3305343
>I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'll call it a meme!
Go try playing the NA release of Beyond Oasis and then the EU Story of Thor. The PAL version is almost unplayably bad.
>>
>>3307032
Most PAL-region games weren't optimised for PAL though.
>>
>>3307124
Then they're not PAL games. As I said, most games weren't region locked. The games that were region locked were optimised.
>>
>>3307138
As far as I'm aware every SNES game was region locked in PAL. NES as well. Most Mega Drive games after 1993 were locked as well. The vast majority of console games were not optimised for PAL.
>>
File: you.jpg (39 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
39 KB, 399x600
>>3307032
>50hz
>same as their NTSC counterparts
>>
>>3307167
That's the console, not the game.
>>3307163
I, like most people, never bothered with Nintendo stuff. I know that the PAL Nes runs much faster than the US version. Those post 1993 games you're thinking of were optimised. The majority of post 1993 MD games were not region locked.
>>
>>3307138
How do you explain >>3307097 then? Pal version is literally barely playable.
>>
>>3307175
No it isn't. It is perfectly playable. It isn't even region locked. It plays on both settings on my modded MD.
>>
>>3307178
Have you played them side by side? I kept hearing people around here saying the game played like shit and was choppy and never knew what they were talking about until I played the pal release and it's terrible.
>>
>>3307192
You're really overstating it. It plays no worse than any other 60hz game on a 50hz machine.
>>
>>3307194
>You're really overstating it.

I don't think I'm overstating it at all. And if that's what you consider acceptable then we are coming at this from very different perspectives. Enjoy what you will, but I find the pal release of that game awful by comparison.
>>
>>3307202
You'd probably think the same thing when playing any other 60hz game on a 50hz machine. I understand what you mean. I played Starwing on an overclocked Snes and now the original feels unplayable to me. But you should know that our version of Story of Thor is all we've ever known so we don't have a basis from which to degrade it.
>>
>>3306936
Not him, but I don't understand why you wouldn't collect for PAL when the when, as you say, the speed problem has nothing to do with the games. Just mod your hardware, play your PAL games at the correct speed.
>>
NTSC is good enough for the japs.
It's good enough for the USA.
So it's good enough for me.
>>
>>3307207
Most CRTs can as well. Most also accept RGB SCART, but many people insist on using composite.
>>
>>3307205
>You'd probably think the same thing when playing any other 60hz game on a 50hz machine.

Yeah, the few I have felt bad, but BO is a game I have played the fuck out of so I'm very familiar with how it should (in my eyes) play.

But I should emphasize that it's not just me. I ran into a lot of people on this board who said they didn't think the game was good because it controlled badly. It wasn't until I played the other version that I understood what they meant.
>>
>>3307220
Yes, that's how I feel about non-overclocked, 60hz Starwing now. It plays too slugishly for me and the controls feel delayed and unresponsive. I know people who feel like that about the 60hz Super Mario Bros, that it runs too slowly and is made less playable because of that. You should know, though you seem quite dull so I'll presume you don't, that the speed of a game is not the only thing affected by being played on a 60hz machine. The internal timing is also put off, obviously.
>>
>>3307206
The issue is some PAL games are slowed down, some are optimised. So if you have a big collection of region-free PAL games and mod your console to run at the correct speed, now the optimised ones are too fast.
>>
>>3307209
There are no tvs in the US that accept SCART, crt or flat screen
>>
>>3307237
I don't care about the US. Not every post on this board is about you.
>>
>>3307209
A lot of European CRTs from up to around the late 80's don't support both formats. Also I've seen some cheap, small CRTs from the late 90's/2000's that are PAL only, though they're less common. Unfortunately my current CRT is PAL only which means I'm stuck playing my Famicom on an LCD. I get what you're saying though

.>>3307237
More reasons why Americans should know that they live in the inferior region.
>>
>>3307247
Budget tvs have always existed, I have late model CRTs that only support 50hz. You just need a mid-range or higher end CRT.
>>
>>3307231
That's why you mod it with a switch...
>>
>>3305467
There are hundreds of PAL optimized games. Here is a list of N64 ones: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/420230/1/

If it was felt a game would benefit from the speed optimization, then unless it was a crappy company it would get it. When it's fullscreen as well PAL also has significantly higher resolution so is objectively better.

In games that haven't been given the speedbump, there's also more slowdown and choppiness in NTSC games because sometimes the SNES can't keep up with the action while the PAL SNES has more time to.
>>
>>3307270
What did American CRTs have, then?
>>
>>3307270
But we still got superior video formats.

On a somewhat related note most European Laserdisc players were multi-system, supporting PAL and NTSC.
>>
>>3307278
Component, hombre. Far superior to SCART in literally every way.
>>
>>3307306
Do you mean that YpBPr shit? Sorry, that is not better than RGB. We have both in the first world, but component is almost never used.
>>
>>3307306
Ignore this nonsense. SCART literally has everything component has and far more, including ability to carry RGB.
>>
Doesn't matter if your encoding format is better when you're running at slower clockspeeds than the countries making the games.
>>
>>3307320
I wouldn't consider it to be. Second world, like every other country that needed help to catch up.
>>
>>3307332
>>3307325
>PAL 3rd worlders calling Japan "3rd world"

Now that's funny. Your standards are literally shit in the street supported.
>>
>>3307337
What? That's just an ignorant claim that is wholly untrue.
>>
>>3307340
Western Europe is, quite literally, the standard for first world. Stop being such a weeb.
>>
>>3307345
Try America. You have fun thinking your dream of monarchy is any kind of standard there. Anything east of Germany is a fucking slum.
>>
>>3307353
>it's an 'American attemps geo-politics' episode
>>
>>3307327
Nobody's "running at slower clockspeeds", the game is slowed down to match the tv frequency, not the console itself. The left over CPU speed actually leads to less choppiness and frameskipping in PAL games not optimized.
>>
>>3307359
>>3307360
>Only this part of the EU counts guys
>it's the standard for the Western civilization!
>Muslim prayer music plays in background
LOL
>>
>>3307353
>Anything east of Germany is a fucking slum.

Not the guy you're arguing petty country loyalism with, but America is a slum itself. Violent crime rates only surpassed by places like Honduras and Swaziland and prison populated surpassed by almost no one. Americans really aren't in much of a position to call other places slums.
>>
>>3307364
Nobody mentioned the EU. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>3307367
>prison populated surpassed by almost no one.
Because America likes to incarcerate people for having a plant.
>>
>>3307367
Compared to all Europe, no.
>>
>>3307370
It's about the legality of the act, not the act itself.
>>
>>3307374
Enjoy your third world country violent crime rates then :) Nowhere in Europe is that bad.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (265 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
265 KB, 1920x1080
>>3307383
>Nowhere in Europe is that bad.
>>
>US website
>europoors trying to tell us how it is
Kindly go fuck yourselves.
>>
>>3307392
>Thinks being racist will support his point about America not being a shithole

lol
>>
>>3307394
You're on the British world wide web, retard.
>>
>>3307396
>Muslim
>race
>>
>>3307397
And you're using an American OS, faggot. Off yourself.
>>
>>3307397
Based on the American standards that set up the internet.

While lead by a Brit I believe it was team in Massachusetts that actually made it a thing.

Regardless all of it was based on American made standards.
>>
>>3307402
No I'm not. A Finn made it.
>>
>>3307413
>linux hipster
Absolutely disgusting. Kill yourself for sure.
>>
>>3307401
>you didn't get the specific flavor of bigotry right
>>
>>3307412
>American standards
Nonsense term. Nonsense idea.
>>
>>3307416
>kill yourself for not using the computer operating system I prefer
>americans aren't violent assholes!
>>
>>3307413
The kernel, yes. Look up who made the GNU userland tools. i.e; the rest of the OS.
>>
>>3307416
>insulting someone for going against the norm
This attitude really explains the general American behaviour on here. They will always attack something they perceieve as different. That's why they always shitpost about European PC gaming and the like. They hate anything they perceive as different, even if it's just an obvious regional difference.
>>
>>3307417
Called being educated.
>>
>>3307426
You're absolutely right, that's why we have threads like these made by Europeans, always opening with a hostile question.
>>
>>3307420
>taking a random 4chan post as a literal command to kill yourself
>gauging an entire country based on said 4chan post
Completely rational mindset, yes.
>>
>>3307430
Americans also seem to have a totally different level of discourse. In America, it seems, you're all so fake and try to be as nice as possible to everyone. But in Europe we're generally blunt and honest. I don't think banter is even a concept in America, which is why your idea of banter is to chant USA and call everyone muslims.
>>
>>3307437
>generalizing
Not everyone in Europe is you. Not everyone in America is as you perceive them. I'd judge Europeans as self absorbed, pompous, rude and disrespectful based on your post but I know you're not all like that.
>>
>>3307445
Actually, you'd be right from your perspective. Coming from a sterile, plastic, and fake culture like in America, where everyone pretends to be nice, makes Europeans seem rude.
>>
why is this thread still up? mods?
>>
>>3307436
I pointed out your country has one of the worst violent crime and incarceration rates in the world. Your response was just bigotry and then telling people to kill themselves over operating systems.

All I'm saying is that even in jest, you're just illustrating the point I made about your country. You seem like a typical American. That was all.

I'll leave you to your little bitchfest about OS's and SCARTs or whatever now.
>>
>>3307172
>That's the console, not the game.
Except most games back then were locked to the framerate, which was in turn locked to the 50Hz or 60Hz output, otherwise you'd have crazy microstutters.

Sure, some games were probably modified to run properly at the lower refresh rate, but the majority were shit.
>>
>>3307454
Well considering the alternative is the dark, government controlled, no fun, industrial nightmare of Europe where everyone insults each other for kicks and laughs at their misfortunes, I guess I'll embrace the fake empathy.
>>
>>3307472
This is just plain wrong.
>>
>>3307476
As an eurofag, I agree with all, minus the laughing at each other's misfortunes and "insulting" friends for fun . A society where everyone needs to be polite, show fake empaty outside of workplace (where I strongly believe you have to be professional) is my personal nightmare, and it's something I fear for the future.
>>
>>3307465
I have no idea, they just deleted the other BS NTSC VS PAL thread, why the hell are they leaving this one up?
>>
The thing is, most posters here, americans or europeans, are in their 20s, maybe early 30s.

How fucking old is Australia-kun? It's like having a grampa with delirium tremens.
>>
PAL60 > NTSC > PAL
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.