[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls lore thread #7
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1463013114955.jpg (592 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1463013114955.jpg
592 KB, 2560x1440
Dark Souls Lore Thread: Traditional Gaming Edition.

Please feel free to discuss any theories, speculations or ask any questions you may have about any of the souls games in the trilogy.

Previous thread here: >>47250151

TOTALLY CONFIRMED LORE:
The giant worm is Solaire
Solaire is Gwyn's firstborn
The queen is Rosaria
The queen is the shrine handmaiden
The queen is Gertrude
The queen is Gwynevere
The queen is Shanalotte
The queen is Fira from the comic which is totally canon guys
The King of the Storm is Ornstein
The Nameless King is Ornstein dressed in firstborn's clothes
The Nameless King killed Ornstein
The Nameless King is Faraam
Aldrich is Smough
Aldrich is the Chosen Undead
Vordt is Smough
Yorshka is Gwyndolin
Yorshka is Ocelotte
Yorshka is Priscilla
Yorshka is Gwyndolin's daughter
Wolnir is the Bearer of the Curse
Yhorm is Vendrick
Yhorm is the Bearer of the Curse
Yhorm is Vendrick and Nashandra's son
Oceiros is Bearer of the Curse and Shanalotte's son
The First Scholar is Aldia
The First Scholar is the Bearer of the Curse
Gotthard is Kamui
The Sunless Realms is Mirrah
Londor is New Londo
Smouldering Lake is Old Iron King's Keep
Smouldering Lake is Drangleic
Smouldering Lake is Lost Izalith
Profaned City is Drangleic
Profaned City is Lost Izalith
Profaned City is Eleum Loyce
Irithyll is Drangleic
Irithyll is Eleum Loyce
Sirris isn't a Darkmoon
Aldrich isn't a Lord of Cinder
Anri isn't from Astora
Aldrich ate Nito
Aldrich ate the Witch of Izalith
Aldrich ate Priscilla
Aldrich ate the Chosen Undead
Aldrich dreamed of Yorshka
Aldrich dreamed of Priscilla
Aldrich dreamed of Fira from the comic which is totally canon guys
Priscilla was Gwyndolin's niece
Priscilla was Gwyndolin's sister
Priscilla was Gwyndolin's wife
Priscilla was Gwyndolin
Carthus is Izalith
Carthus is Drangleic
Farron is Oolacile
The Untended Graves are in the future
The Untended Graves are in the past
The Untended Graves are in a parallel world
>>
>>47259737
Where's the
>Ashen One is Gwyn because con is timevoluted
>>
>>47259750

reposting this shit because Im pissed about it
>>
>>47259750
She did everything she wanted and has nothing left to do, and passed on.

The 00tn2 guy explained it on /vg/ or /v/ or somewhere back when he was doing DkS2 stuff, supposedly it's a reference to the Japanese concept of "joubutsu". IIRC it's something like, in Japanaese Buddhism ghosts are bound to the material plane by regrets, and you exorcise them by helping them fulfil their wishes so they can enter Nirvana. Something like that, anyway.
>>
>>47259737
sirris is lucatiel
>>
"Ah... but you are... I'm afraid we require more time. As long as it takes a Dark droplet to fall, that is all."

What the fuck does it mean?
>>
File: 1364832405532.gif (3 MB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1364832405532.gif
3 MB, 400x267
OP is missing

>Irithyll is Yharnam
>Aldrich is from Yharnam
>Ocelotte is Mergo
>>
File: garg-.jpg (1 MB, 2127x866) Image search: [Google]
garg-.jpg
1 MB, 2127x866
>>
File: WHAT DOES IT MEAN.png (19 KB, 651x252) Image search: [Google]
WHAT DOES IT MEAN.png
19 KB, 651x252
>>47259914
WHAT DOES IT MEAN
>>
>>47260641
It's the line the Pilgrim in Church of Yorshka says when you're on the Lord of Hollows quest and interact but don't damage her. Equip a shield or fists and then kick the statue.

They're waiting for Anri to die one more time for an extra Dark Sigil to appear.
>>
Remembered one more. "The giant archer is Gough's buddy"
>>
File: 041216-220225900-big[1].jpg (285 KB, 1973x1125) Image search: [Google]
041216-220225900-big[1].jpg
285 KB, 1973x1125
>>47262828
>Remembered one more. "The giant archer is Gough's buddy"

You know it isn't too much of a stretch to just suggest that the Giant Archer is from Oolacile.

There's no reason to think it bizarre or outlandish that Gough settled in Oolacile for some peace and quiet and in time he either had children or found other giants in the area that he could tutor and pass down his archery skills to.

I SEVERELY fucking doubt he's Gough- that would just be fucking ridiculous, but it isn't THAT crazy to think he may be a pupil or a grandson that was captured, enslaved, brought to anor londo and then became a free man.

So he spends his time sniping anyone who comes close to the few white-trees that grow in this fucked up land since they remind him of home.

With all that said: I'd love if one of the DLC's just focused on the fucking Giants.
MORE GIANTS MIYAZAKI.
>>
Why did my waifu have to go and get eaten ;___;
>>
>>47262909
Maybe you shouldn't have picked such a flavorful waifu, faggot.
>>
>>47262947
WHEN I SAID 'GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT' I DIDN'T MEAN THAT
SUCKING HIS DICK WAS GOING TO HAVE HALF THE FUN, NO HOMO
>>
Lore pastebin
pastebin.com/P3MVGSCV
>>
>>47263216
Thansk smelly cat
>>
>>47262894
That raises a good question. How DO giants have children or reproduce? Budding? Seeds?
>>
I've been wondering about this for a while, but what kind of fuckery did Seath get up to to make his soul stick around for aeons and show up time and time again?
While other Lord Soul holders like Gwyn or the Witch of Izalith are reincarnated as a reiteration of sorts, Seath just comes back as fucking Seath. Just look at Oceiros, the guy uses crystal magic and looks exactly like him.
And then there's the business with Tseldora. Are the Writhing Ruins related to Seath? Are the crystals they found related to his Crystal Caves?
>>
>>47263693
>Are the Writhing Ruins related to Seath?
There's some strong implication that Seath's obsession with immortality has led to him mastering various arcane and scientific methods of prolonging his life, including reincarnation. We don't know what specifically he did; he was a mad wizard-scientist, and did mad wizard-science.

Tark in DS2 mentions his master cannot die and takes many forms, and it's pretty obvious he's referring to Seathe. Hell, he might even be Freyja, the giant spider. He dies, his soul takes a new form, and he returns.
>>
>>47263693
>Are the Writhing Ruins related to Seath?
According to the translation blog, "writhing ruins" is actually "crawling reptile" and refers to Seath.
>>
>>47262894
The giant is stating right st anor londo from his position on the tower. There are a shitload of half dead or dead gismts there. Its not hard to figure out what his beef is
>>
>>47263739
>>47263874
So Seath, in his madness, actually achieved his goal of immortality, but became too insane to realize it himself?
>>
>>47263874
>"crawling reptile"
How the fuck do you get "ruin" from "reptile."
>>47259737
>The Untended Graves are in the future
>The Untended Graves are in the past
>The Untended Graves are in a parallel world
I don't think it's any of these. When I die in the Untended Graves my souls show up in the Cemetery of Ash, and also vice versa.
>>
>>47264361
Gameplay wise, that's just down to them reusing the same level geometry to save space. Lore wise, space is complicated.
>>
>>47264391
>Gameplay wise, that's just down to them reusing the same level geometry to save space.
They could prevent that by attaching the blood stain to a boolean, I think it's intentional.
>>
>>47264361
>How the fuck do you get "ruin" from "reptile."

The DkS2 translation was just that bad.
>>
>>47264474
Just like everything else in DS2 lmao
>>
>>47259737
Final 48 hours anons. You backing? Get any add ons?

Didn't see the point for making an entirely new thread since threads about the board game never fill up or last long

I've already settled on Core, Darkroot, Kalameet, and Vordt. Seeing the total just shy of 200 bucks with my budget being 250ish I may actually get another add-on. Possibly Old Iron King or Gaping Dragon
>>
File: 1461485505179.jpg (66 KB, 474x378) Image search: [Google]
1461485505179.jpg
66 KB, 474x378
>>47264607
so are the stretch goals just figurines? shouldn't they spend that money on expanding and tightening the mechanics?

and is this game coming with a monster manual? how are we supposed to make homebrew games?
>>
>>47264607
I was a little bit disappointed that Vordt was the big £3m reveal. That said, I'd absolutely be backing it if I hadn't bought a new graphics card just a week before the kickstarter went live and I heard about it. Looks like decent value for what you get with all that the stretch goals have unlocked. Have they said whether the final retail box is going to include all the free stretch goal figures, or is it just going to be the base game as it was at the kickstarter launch? Cause they've easily tripled the number of figures in there, would feel kinda shitty to be left having to pay full price for the third of the content.
>>
What the fuck is Darklurker?
>>
>>47264607
Wish I could pick it up, but I don't get paid until the end of the kickstarted and haven't had that kind of spare change since it launched. Really want those figures, and the game actually looks fairly playable.
>>
File: dreams become memes.png (951 KB, 1368x717) Image search: [Google]
dreams become memes.png
951 KB, 1368x717
>>47264759
a reference
>>
>>47264693
Final retail is base game, grab this while it's hot.
>>
>>47262222
Nah, I had killed Yuria and hit with my main weapon when I got that,
>>
>>47264872
Fuck. I'm probably gonna pass on it in that case, I only really care about it for the miniatures, would be cheaper to 3D print my own.
>>
>>47264895
Kickstarter is base plus a shit-ton of expansions, totally worth it.
>>
>>47264910
Yeah I know it's more than worth it, but like I said >>47264693 I can't afford it because I just put down for over $200 of hardware. Another couple of weeks and I might've been able to afford it. I'm glad it's had such a great success though.
>>
I just realised something, the Deep is part of the Disparity created by the First Flame.

>Light and Dark (Gywn and the Furtive Pygmy)
>Life and Death (The Witch of Izalith and Gravelord Nito
>Heat and Cold
>Fire and Water
>Above and Below
>>
>>47264966
Naw, the Deep is just a place the Dark ate and turned out to be to spicy for it.
>>
File: 1462787425380.png (293 KB, 272x273) Image search: [Google]
1462787425380.png
293 KB, 272x273
>>47264925

>only work part time
>my total costs would be 250 before shipping
>really can't afford it with school and life
>backing anyways

I'll hate myself soon, but in the long run, I'll thank myself for getting it while it was cheap
>>
>>47265025
... the deep is the result of the Dark going to taco bell?
>>
>>47265046
God speed anon, I hope you can budget around it ok.
>>
>>47264823

I always thought Darklurker and 4 Kings looked like Kingdom Hearts bosses
>>
>>47265071
>I always thought Darklurker and 4 Kings looked like Kingdom Hearts bosses
Well I thought the 4 Kingcould do a great impression of Bohemian Rhapsody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HPkXHxS_s
>>
>>47264663

anyone?
>>
DS3 is my first Souls game and holy shit how does anyone figure out the NPC quests?
I'm doing my first run blind (I'm at Aldrich ) and out of curiosity I looked up the NPCs I've met so far and it looks like I have already fucked up or missed all of their quests.
Second completionist playthrough should be fun tho
>>
>>47264607
>jester thomas is in neither the invaders expansion nor the summons expansion
>>
>>47265315
>how does anyone figure out the NPC quests
They look it up. Literally.
Back in the days of Demon's Souls everything was trial and error (the strategy guide didn't even have anything on primeval demons) and people were still discovering things by the time Dark Souls came out, now every fucking thing is on the fextralife day one.
>>
>>47265315
Yep, they're pretty fuckin obtuse. The games were always built around collective knowledge, ideally guiding people using just the in-game messages, but those aren't especially reliable for anything more than basic shit, so reading up online for a full experience is essentially expected.
I only made my first playthrough semi-blind, so I had a friend throw me a very small checklist of stuff to do so that I didn't miss out on anything really big, like (actual minor spoiler, if you're wanting to stay blind) using the Dragon gesture at that area in Irithyll Dungeon.
>>
>>47265324
Which tells you everything you need to know about Jester Thomas.
>>
File: 1462786895349.png (2 MB, 2616x2160) Image search: [Google]
1462786895349.png
2 MB, 2616x2160
>>47264663
Don't know about the monster manual but some of the expansions expand the rules, like gravestones revealing a bit of a boss monster's AI or chests and barrels containing treasure. The invaders expansion shuffles in an invader card into the encounter deck for a chance to encounter an invader alongside the normal encounter. Don't know about summons but there are things in the expansions you can't naturally do with just core.

>>47265324
>Manus is retail only
>tfw no mini-Sif to summon

Just kill me
>>
Is this what hollowing feels like?

Because I'm stuck in these threads undying but every iteration feels more like beef jerky.
>>
>>47265345

Thanks for that (not sarcastically). I know exactly where you are talking about and I definitely would not have thought to try that.
I need to get my shit together. I just went back and figured out that there is more to Profaned Capital than just the bridge leading to Yhorm
>>
>>47265402
Yeah, and they stick it somewhere it's very easy to miss. There's nothing to make you think there's anything back DOWN the ladder you just climbed up to the bonfire, especially with the big shiny cathedral right in front of you.
>>
Is there a reason people seem to typically assume that Bear Curse winds up banging the Emerald Herald, or at least takes her as wife?

Every ruler needs a spouse, but I never got the impression that Shanalotte was specifically designed to be wife material (then again, she *does* have the best body out of all the fire keepers.)
>>
>>47265355
is the board game d20 based?

because then i can just use the 5e d&d monster manual
>>
>>47265490
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM3OCAQMP8
Here's the demo vid they made.
>>
>>47265446
>Is there a reason people seem to typically assume that Bear Curse winds up banging the Emerald Herald, or at least takes her as wife?

Emerald Herald says a few things that are interesting looking back:

"Are you...the next monarch? Or... Merely a pawn of fate? Bearer of the curse... I will remain by your side. Till this frail hope shatters... Take this with you. May it ease your journey. Go on, and see the King. He who made Drangleic what it once was; he who peered at the essence of the soul. King Vendrick."

She asks if you're to be the "Next Monarch."

"Bearer of the curse. I will always be at your side. Until hope has fully withered."

She seems genuinely persistent in being at your side as well until they very foreseeable end: it's not "completely" crazy to think that if the cursed undead did decide to fuck off from Drangleic and forgo the linking of the flame entirely that they'd take the Emerald Herald with them... Or she would otherwise refuse to leave their side.

"My name is Shanalotte. The dragon gave me this name, for I was born with none. I was born of dragons, contrived by men. By ones who would cozen fate herself… They are the ones who created me. But they failed. I did not come out as intended. Fate would not be bested, and men were cursed once again."

She admits she was a woman born of dragons and designed by men to end the curse: The idea goes that the chosen undead took emerald herald, fucked her good and put a few buns in her oven.
This hot crossed bun in question grew up to be the Lothric line- Ocerius turning into a seath mutant due to his ancient dragon blood from his mother's side- perhaps even naming his half-dragon son "ocelotte" after his mom/grandmother "Shanalotte."

It's a little "grasping", but it sure as fuck makes for interesting speculation.
>>
For the "learn all sorceries/pyromancies/miracles" achievements does anyone know if you can accomplish those across multiple characters or does it have to be on the same guy?
>>
File: creepsinternally.png (208 KB, 342x292) Image search: [Google]
creepsinternally.png
208 KB, 342x292
>>47265315
>>47265337
>>47265345
Do you guys think Dark Souls 3 has anything left to discover?

This is the first Souls game I got at launch and have been involved with since day 1, and I was really looking forward to discovering everything alongside the community, but pretty much literally within 24 hours its like all the games secrets have been spilled.

I remember people were still discovering new stuff in Bloodborne for quite a while after it came out (like rare chalice dungeon enemies), but I guess that was because it was on PS4 and people couldn't so easily file dive.
>>
>>47266292
>but I guess that was because it was on PS4 and people couldn't so easily file dive.
Pretty much. With it on PC, people can easily decrypt and reverse every file of the game, it's how we were able to see what all the cut content that they forgot to remove was pretty much day one. I still remember, for months, people were convinced there was some secret mechanic to unlocking beast mode. And then the DLC happened.
>>
>>47266161
All of each has to be on the same character, so eg. you have to get every miracle on one character.
>>
>>47266464
Shit
>>
>>47259737
What the fuck is going on with the Giants?

I spent about half an hour looking at all the different giant corpses in das3, trying to see whether they had faces or holes. I'm about 60% sure they have human faces.

Yhorm's skull is in his ashes, and is clearly human. This suggests giants are related to humans. But then there's the das2 giant tree in firelink! Everything aside from that suggests the das2 giants weren't canon, and as far as I'm aware the das2 giants were explicitly not human.

It's driving me nuts, especially since it seems like from went out of their way to make it difficult to look under the masks all the giants wear.

Can someone please give me an explanation? The souls games are known for their vague lore, but this is absurd, the evidence is conflicting.
>>
>>47266475
Humanity proliferation.

By which I mean humanity fucked the giants.
>>
>>47264607
Is it going to receive a professor sad expansion?
>>
File: faceholes.png (630 KB, 550x662) Image search: [Google]
faceholes.png
630 KB, 550x662
>>47266475
DaS2 giant slaves do seem to have face holes behind their masks, and we have the giant tree outside Firelink. However, Yhorm does have a human face and a human skull.

We could fanwank this as every giant having some sort of weird 'two layered head,' with a face deep inside their facial orifice.

Alternatively, we could say that Yhorm isn't actually a giant but one of the old godse. But of course, this seems needlessly convoluted seeing as DaS3 goes out of its way again and again to say that Yhorm is a giant.

One theory before DaS3 was that there were two types of giant - DaS1 giants who were a third branch of the human/god humanoid race, and DaS2 giants who were of unknown origin and turned into trees (and were possibly linked to the archtrees). It's now harder to go by this distinction because DaS3 gives the DaS1 giants face holes, while giving Yhorm - who by all means appears to be a DaS2 giant - a face.

It seems this all results from B-Team trying to do their own thing - perhaps we would have found out more about their giants were DaS2 not rushed - and the DaS3 team then trying to tie that back into the DaS3 lore, and the result we get is kind of confusing.

Still though, I think the idea of Yhorm is really cool - a non-human, non-undead, non-god character linking the fire wasn't anything anyone expected. Makes me wonder what other sorts of crazy shit could link the first flame. Demons are a major race in Dark Souls - could one of them have ever linked the fire? A Black Knight mindlessly trying to carry out Gwyn's last mission? How about a man-serpent? A golem designed to gather as many souls as possible?
>>
>>47266475
I think upon closer examination, the ones in 3 have hole faces, but smaller holes than in 2. From what I've heard, the whole hole-face thing is a result of some shitty design decisions though, rather than anything lore related. They were originally given actual faces in 2, looked like basilisks without the big fake orb-eyes, but the guy who took over decided (quite rightfully) that they looked fucking stupid, but it was too much time/effort/money to give them new faces, and I guess slapping the slave-like metal facemask on all of them wouldn't have worked, so they just carved the faces out and left them with holes. A few of the giants in 2 still have the faces, kind of evidence for how hasty a move it was that they missed some.
As a result, it makes the lore kinda murky, because it becomes hard to separate "lore decision" from "development fuckup". I've seen the theory that the face-hole is the giants' equivalent of the darksign, where souls seep from their bodies, which would explain it, but I don't think quite fits in with the organised army that the Giant Lord has in the memory you visit, too organised as well thought out for a hollow.
(I'd spoiler from here for the guy doing a blind playthrough, but I assume at this point he's all but given up on that if he's reading DS3 threads on 4chan) There's also the Stormruler, which is said to be effective against giants, but as we know is ONLY effective against Yhorm, which further divides him from the other giants around Lothric.
Personally, I'm inclined to believe that the giantd around Lothric and Lordran are descendants of the holeface giants from DS2, which are said to be extinct (save for the Last Giant hidden in a hole in the ground, also theorized to be the Giant Lord barely clinging to life, until the Bearer of the Curse comes to kill him all over again), that have gradually become more human-like, developing stronger mental prowess and communication, as well as becoming more human in appearance. cont
>>
>>47266752
>>47266475
Yhorm, I think, is a human/god/lord like all the rest of the Lords of Cinder, rather than yet another subset of giant. Dark Souls all kinds of implies that souls can cause physical growth, demonstrated with Ornstein/Smough absorbing the other when they're slain by the Chosen Undead. Could just be that Yhorm was so mighty, and had accumulated so many souls through the conquest of his ancestor, that he just grew to immense size, and modelled himself after the ancient giants I guess as a display of his raw power. I don't have a whole lot to support this line of thought, it's mainly my own speculative rambling, but I think it fits nicer than "yet another species of giant, of whom Yhorm is the only one we really know to exist". I saw someone either earlier in this thread or in a previous one say that Wolnir could be the conquering ancestor mentioned, which I could also see being the case. Whatever the case, he's clearly meant to call back to the DS2 style giants, and everyone thought he was one until the Siegward cutscene. Ultimately I think the whole thing is too much of a mess for us to ever get a real clear answer, so we're just gonna have to make do with a bunch of different theories all arguably plausible.
And the tree I'd say is a mix of gameplay consideration and simple callback. The giant trees in Forest of Fallen Giants had reason to be there, there's no reason for there to one at this Firelink Shrine.
>>
>>47259737
There's no way that Aldrich ate Nito. There's no lore to suggest and Nito is literally a fucking heap of skeletons.
>>
I need all the information you have on Wolnir.

There's a cosplay PvP even next weekend with /dsg/ and I wanted to go as a pre abyss non skeltal Wolnir, but I'm really not sure what he would have been like before then. Was Pyromancy something everyone did in Carthus or what.
>>
>>47266998
Bleed pyro, switch it up between Carthus Rouge and Flame Arc. Dress up like a vicious conqueror, wearing the crushed crowns of those you have subjugates.
>>
>>47266998
Wolnir was allegedly the best pyromancer EVAR, so it wouldn't hurt to attune some spells. Wolnir's crown is a must for obvious reasons, for the rest I'd say put on "desert-ish" armor for the chestpiece (Nameless King? Xanthous?) and heavy armor pieces on arms and legs so it looks like you're wearing a suit of armor underneath an Arabian Nights style robe. I'm gonna boot up my game and post screenshots.of what I mean.
>>
>>47267044

I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to do that shit because Wolnir's Sword is a boss weapon that can't be buffed, but then I remembered the sword was actually granted to him by the gods (?) after he fell to the abyss, so I'd be able to use something else.
>>
>>47266757
>>47266752
>>47266730
>>47266671
Thank you! I hope one day From releases a book which goes through the lore in excruciating detail, or at least gives us a mostly clear explanation.

Maybe after the dark souls franchise is completely done, and they've moved on to the next game in the genre.

Time and space are complicated in lordranglothric right? Suppose bloodbourne and demon's are specific points in time in the das timeline? The differences in the souls/blood mechanic could just be the same thing as the undead curse with slight changes related to how they're used, or different interpretations of the same thing.
>>
>>47266998
I'm planning on making a Carthus cosplay character at some point (for invasions rather than this event). My advice is:
>Carthus shotel and/or curved sword
>Wolnir's crown and desert looking clothes (something like the sellsword set)
>Carthus Rouge
>Carthus pyromancy (including flame arc)
>Maybe grave warden pyromancy? I think the description of the tome says it was discovered after Wolnir fell though so maybe not
>Carthus blood ring
>Carthus milk ring
>Kukri out the ass
>Very large build. Even if Wolnir wasn't such a big guy four kings before falling to the Abyss the big skeletons in the catacombs suggest Carthus was one of those countries with really big humans
>>
>>47267072
No, it was a simple greatsword, that got eaten away by the abyss. At least I don't think it was "granted".
>>
>>47267095
>Suppose bloodbourne and demon's are specific points in time in the das timeline?
Nice thought, but they've made it pretty specifically clear that they're all in separate universes. And we have the meta knowledge that Sony owns the Demon's and Bloodborne IPs, so there's no chance of them occupying the same existence. Going off on wild headcanons though, I could totally buy into Demon's Souls being the Age of Man/Dark, with Allant being the Chosen Undead/whatever of the previous age. Then, when that world starts dying, with no first flame to rekindle, in desperation he turns to the power of the souls of Demons. But this is all fanfic tier stuff.

The entire reason for the lore being so vague and outright plot-hole-y all over is because Miyazaki was influenced by books written in English that he read as a kid with a poor understanding of the language. He'd get the general gist for some parts, then fill in the blanks he didn't understand with his own ideas. He wanted to create that feeling for people playing his game. So I doubt we'll ever see a comprehensive, official lore guide. Hell, I'm still surprised we actually found out who Gwyn's first born was. The best we can hope for is something like the Paleblood Hunt, a well thought out, solidly researched, comprehensive cover, written by someone who cares and can put in the time.
>>
File: 20160515184028_1.jpg (494 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160515184028_1.jpg
494 KB, 1920x1080
>>47267067
>Wolnir's Crown
>Black Iron Gauntlets
>Nameless King chest
>Drakeblood Leggings
>whatever greatsword you like best
>offhand Falchion/Scimitar
>both Carthus rings

And you'll need an appropriate face too, I didn't want to run to Rosaria just for this tho.
>>
>>47267133
>A holy sword eroded by the Abyss. When Wolnir fell to the Abyss, he was gripped by a fear of true darkness, and pleaded to the gods for the first time.
>This holy sword, together with three armlets stripped from the corpses of clerics, gave him some semblance of comfort.

So it's up to personal interpretation as to whether that's Wolnir pleading to the gods and then his sword and armlets being unrelated, or if he was given them as a result of pleading. Given that destroying his armlets causes him to be dragged back into the Abyss and the sword is explicitly holy despite Wolnir having nothing to do with the gods before his fall, I'm inclined to say they were granted by the gods.
>>
File: 1274643586389.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1274643586389.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>47267133

Well anyway, the fact that he has a Greatsword that was either eaten by the abyss, or empowered by divine intervention, he most likely used a Greatsword before shedding his flesh prison, and it looks strikingly similar to the Bastard Sword underneath the weird gold glass stuff, I'm gonna go with a Bastard Sword I think.
>>
>>47265572
That theory relies on Curse Bearer being a man though.
>>
>>47267223
Sex changing coffin is canon.
>>
>>47267095
I'm always entertained by and willing to help with fanwanks regarding connections between Demon and Dark Souls, but I think Bloodborne's cosmology is just too different for it to work.
>>
>>47266292
People just managed to figure out what the hell Poise does.

It makes you lose less dodge iFrames when you get hit. Yes, I didn't know that was a mechanic either. Also, less iFrames means a shorter distance covered by the dodge. It's weird as hell and pretty much completely unrelated to how Poise worked in the other games (although it's still super armor of a sort).

Also, there's still DLC left! There's tons of details lying about that could be touched upon - Ocelotte, Gertrude and the Angels in general, The Deep in general, Aldia's possible involvement with Lothric, shit like that. We know that Kaathe is involved since Yuria mentions him in her death quote, but what the hell is up with those winged man-serpent statues?

Not to mention the weird little unsolved mysteries still in the game like that fucking crab in the goddamn skeleton ball. What's the deal with that, anyway? Is it a pig or a Pendant?
>>
File: 20160515184834_1.jpg (567 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160515184834_1.jpg
567 KB, 1920x1080
>>47267182

I was thinking of this.

>HURR FALLEN KNIGHT LITERALLY PISS

Aside from that (and the fact that I'm not using the poopy pants anyway), it seems like it'd fit Wolnir quite well. Reading up on Carthus, they were a bunch of dudes who didn't give a fuck about anything but winning, generic warrior tribe stuff. So durable armor with a tattered cloak to protect from the elements since they're from a desert country seems like it'd work.

Face/build not included, this is just my current character.

>>47268006

It's hilarious how poise just turned out to be a worse in every way 10 times more complicated AGI, which people also had no idea how that worked at DaS2 launch.
>>
>>47268006
>everyone and their dog hated on ADP because you had to invest 15-20 points into it for normal i-frames, in a game that threw levels at you like no tomorrow and didn't have level based matchmaking anyway
>somehow Poise affecting i-frames is okay

OKAY WHEN MIYAZAKI DOES IT
>>
>>47268030
Nah man, its only the pants that got piss on them. Fallen Knight looks great and fits Wolnir-san well.
>>
>>47266752

Blindfriend here: I'm too deep in these threads to stop reading. Everything is pretty much over my head until I see it in-game though and I mostly didn't want to see particulars of where to go and what does what so all good.

Just killed Aldrich. The room up the elevator made me really sad once I realized who had lived there
even though I never played DaS and only knew her from these threads
>>
>>47268058
But literally everyone is saying poise isn't okay, retard.
>>
File: 20160514103630_1.jpg (459 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160514103630_1.jpg
459 KB, 1920x1080
Could a player actually have written this?
>>
>>47268244
No, it doesn't follow any of the templates.
>>
>>47268082
>her
Also, goddamn the floor in that room. Aldrich is fucking huge.

>>47268058
It's weirder than that - Agility actually gave you more iFrames, while Poise just stops you from losing frames.

Basically:
>Each weapon has a certain hidden iFrame reduction value
>On a successful hit, that many iFrames are removed from a hidden iFrame pool
>Higher Poise makes you lose less iFrames
>Higher Poise also makes you recover iFrames faster
I think there's also something about how getting your iFrames reduced to zero during a roll staggers you?

Some other fun bits about this: the Carthus Milk Ring makes you invisible during your iFrames, making it easier to track them for mathing this shit out, and the Carthus Blood Ring converts four of the beginning vulnerability frames into iFrames.

The weirdest thing is how this all means that having heavy armor (but being at 70% or lower) means that you're better at dodging in combat than when wearing lighter armor (but at 30%+).
>>
File: what....jpg (54 KB, 628x640) Image search: [Google]
what....jpg
54 KB, 628x640
>>47268444
The fuck?
>>
>>47268444
Goddamn, not only is that counter-intuitive, but not even that useful considering even the dinkiest things still stagger you.
>>
>>47268560
The point is that it's useful for dodging.

Also, blood ring makes it so that there's like a 4f window to hit you when you dodge spam, it's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>47268696
Yeah, it's just that you wear heavier armor so you can... dodge better?

Plus the removal entirely of the idea of tanking hits kinda pulling the carpet out from a lot of people. A big fuck you to slow/strength builds, too.
>>
>>47268397
So it's hackers?

Message has almost 6k ratings now.
>>
>>47268739
Hyper Armour is still a thing though? Like, you can't stagger someone doing the Gundyr Halberd charge IME. Of course, those attacks are a lot easier to parry...
>>
>>47267268
i am now imagining Curse Bearer making dirty talk
>hey bb let's go slay the ogres
>>
>>47268545
If you wonder where I found out about this shit, I was skimming through the subreddit 'cause I'm a faggot and someone made a huge effortpost about it.
>https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jdwy6/dark_souls_3_poise_mechanics_im_pretty_damn_sure/

Since tl;dr, here's a tl;dr from someone else.

>Practical summary/tldr:

>You start with 13 iframes per roll

Attack type: 2-handed katana R1
>At 15 poise: lose 3 iframes per hit
>At 32 poise: lose 1 iframe per hit

After 2 hits (typical stunlock)
>At 15 poise: 7 iframes left, 75% roll distance (18/24 total frames)
>At 32 poise: 11 iframes left, 92% roll distance (22/24 total frames)

Regeneration
>Faster with more poise. Around 1 iframe per second at 32 poise? Probably need more testing to figure that out.
>>
>>47268906
Some of the UGS hits are unparryable, IIRC, although I don't remember if they also have hyper armor.

Also, there's that one weapon art that gives a couple seconds of old-poise although I don't know if there's any good weapons with it.
>>
>>47269080
>Also, there's that one weapon art that gives a couple seconds of old-poise although I don't know if there's any good weapons with it.

https://youtu.be/xfqRlJ1uN9w
>>
What is an heir of fire?
>>
>>47269413
Seems to be anything with enough power to potentially become a Lord.
>>
Is the boundary around the Frigid Valley related to the Painted World, or is 'doll as a key' just being reused?
>>
>>47269413
A miserable pile of secrets!
>>
>>47265373

Hollowing is ragequitting. Whatever it is in you that makes you go "fuck this, I'm out", that's hollowing.

That's why the player character never "finally" hollows no matter how many times they die - so long as you keep playing. Hollowing is a meta concept that boils down to "the player behind this avatar has put down the controller and gone to scream into a pillow".
>>
>>47269523
It's just recycled ideas. Could argue that it's justified, since a key theme is the cyclic nature of the world. In-universe, ideas like that are bound to come again and again without anyone being aware that it was something from the past.
>>
>>47269580
I don't know how viable it'd be, and it'll almost certainly never be a possibility now that the series is apparently over, but I'd have loved if they'd introduced a mechanic where any character who goes untouched for long enough us spawned as a hollow in some random active player's world.
>>
>>47269931

What if one spawns every time you improperly quit? That seems to me the best way to measure the ragequit likelihood (just straight up turn off the console and storm off instead of the slower process of stopping, going to the quit game, then console off). And the game already keeps track of that for saving purposes, so it would be a relatively simple addition.
>>
>>47270052
That'd measure people who's game had crashed more likely.
>>
>>47264607
>told myself I'd just do the base £80
>have since added the Artorias/Sif and the tileset expansions for a grand total of £130
my wallet prolly hates me
>>
What would the Age of Dark be like if it came about?
>>
>>47270963
You're living in it
>>
>>47270963
Who knows. But according to the firekeeper in 3, even if the flame goes out, there will eventually be another one.
>>
>>47270963
A world where everything is completely still. Nothing changes, ever. Until the fire kicks back up, that is.
>>
>>47271178
That sounds more like the Age of Ancients / Dragons
>>
>>47271254
There's no proof for this in the game as far as I know, but I'm of the opinion that the Dark Souls universe goes through a constant cycle.
When the flame goes out, the world eventually reverts to something like the age of ancients, until the flame starts up again and a new age of fire begins.
>>
>>47271290
The endless cycle was confirmed in Dark Souls 2, and is referenced in the Ending the Fire ending of Dark Souls 3.

I'm not convinced that the Age of Dark is the age of grey, though.
>>
>>47271342
The age of Dark is actually when the Dark flame takes over I think, although it can be used somewhat interchangeably with the age of Gray, as both come about because somebody refuses to link the flame (supposedly; we have never seen it actually happen, only being on the brink).
>>
>>47270791
I'm teetering on that brink as well anon, having to stop myself getting the darkroot basin set and at least one mega-boss. It's just so tempting though.
>>
>>47271254
>>47271290
>>47271342
>>47271415
Since the *Dark* is completely different from *Fire* and the place with the most *Dark* we've seen is the Abyss, would it not make sense for the Age of *Dark* to be just like the Abyss?
A pitch black space without limit where only beings rich in *Dark* can survive?
>>
>>47271677
Well, I think it actually means Undead take over. The Abyss is sort of an untamed wilderness, so I'm guessing it would be kinda like that, but with less monsters roaming free, and more undead building (probably quite macabre) civilizations and shit.
>>
>>47271755
>more undead building (probably quite macabre) civilizations and shit.
Wouldn't they be Hollow, though?

While I'm pretty sure that the Age of Dark isn't the Age of Dragons, I also kind of get the feeling that it isn't the Age of Man either. That seems more like Aldia's plan and the Usurpation of the Fire.

>>47271677
Ending the fire in DS3 turns off the lights, so that kind of makes sense.
>>
Do you guys think Alsanna is okay?
She was sweet and I'd be really bummed out if she had a bad end.
>>
>>47271974
>a bad end
Just where do you think you are?
>>
What do you think of the lore significance of any of the cut content?

http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/unused-content

It seems weird to me that Yhorm's set originally called him Lord of Cinder as though it was his name or personal title.
>>
>>47269580
Hollowing is when you delete a character.

Or uninstall the game.
>>
>>47272049
Hollowing is when you forget about Dark Souls's existence.
>>
>>47271974
You didn't read the descripction on Tsorig's ring, did you?
>>
>>47269580

>Hollowing is ragequitting.

Not necessarily, its a loss of purpose or desire to continue. So it could come from giving up, but it could also come from fulfilling your goals and having nothing else to do.
>>
>>47272345

Right, it's when you stop playing the game.

New Game + is another cycle you go through, until eventually you dont start another cycle and you hollow.
>>
>>47272032
I'd bet on Yhorm being much more important originally. He probably got shafted hard in development, being given a short-ass area with little of interest and a gimmicky boss fight.
He was a main focus of the trailer, got me hyped up for him and everything..
>>
>>47259737
Why is this thread here? Dark Souls is not /tg/.
>>
>>47272093
who is to say the ancient city was elluem loyce?
>>
>>47272800
why don't you actually read the thread? dark souls is getting a board game
>>
>>47272032
>http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/unused-content

Ooohhh shit, so much of that cut content is so fucking cool:

-The Grotto Set looks so fucking cool. That weird outback hat and shawl look fantastic.

-Footman's set looks GREAT, why would they remove it? The board is a little much, but still.

-MAN SERPENTS ROBES??? Fuuck- the robes and the mask look so good! The little herb belt and the 6-eyed fucking bronze mask!!

I don't understand why so much of this was cut out of the game?
Will it come in the DLC or is it just gone forever?

I LOVE fashion souls- I NEED more fashion!
>>
Why did the Watchers turn upon themselves?
>>
>>47273540
>Why did the Watchers turn upon themselves?

The Abyss Watchers and the Farron's legion lived and died flushing out any signs of the Abyss they could find as they rampaged across kingdoms.

When the Abyss Watchers awoke from their graves at the ringing of the bell signaling the fading of the flame they found some of their own ranks seemingly tainted by the abyss and so they fought with them.

Maybe they only "thought" they were tainted with the Abyss; maybe this is one of those instances where undeath and life and cindering has just made the exceptionally fucking paranoid, but either way they stayed within their crypt to ceaselessly try and cull whoever they thought was corrupted.
>>
>>47267179
>>47267767
Yeah, i kind of expected as much. It's a nice thought though. I've never actually played demon's or bloodbourne, because I don't have a ps3/ps4.

That's interesting, there is something incredibly satisfying about figuring out the lore on your own.

Was part of the deal to get demon's and BB on the Playstation 3/4 that sony had exclusive rights? Is it the same situation as fox and the xmen movies?
>>
>>47270791

Same. Been thinking about Klam Meat too. If Manus wasn't retailer only I'd probably get him as well because I'm a goddamn drone.
>>
>>47265355
>>Manus is retail only
My buddy is letting me use his shit, I needed dat Manus.
>>
>>47266470
Have fun farming ears.
>>
>>47273865
in very early builds of Bloodborne Father Gascgoine whispered "Umbasa.." to himself when he killed you.

And he is explicitly mentioned to come from some other country.
>>
>>47274307
Interesting, there's a moonlight greatsword in BB right?
>>
>>47264607

I hope this works out. $225 dollars is more than all my other backed projects combined.
>>
>>47274888

Yes, in the DLC.
>>
>>47275197

>$225 dollars

kill me
>>
>>47274888
Moonlight swords are just a thing with From.
See Armored Core etc.

If you bullshit hard enough you could probably find other tenuous connections between From's major IPs, like Patches
>>
File: 1460410004042.png (63 KB, 220x262) Image search: [Google]
1460410004042.png
63 KB, 220x262
>>47275197
>>47275216
And that's without shipping
>>
>>47274888

There are Moonlight Greatswords in the fucking Armoured Core mecha games, that doesn't mean they take place in the cosmos.
>>
>>47275466
Gwyn is Otsdarva
Mergo is the Cradles
Darkmoon firekeeper is Wynne D Fanchon
The Deep Sea is Nineball
Aldrich is Kojima particles
>>
>>47275586
But then who's Merrygate?
i.e. best waifu who doesn't ever wind up fighting you outside of the arena
>>
>>47275724
Merrygate is Gwynevere
Lilium is Gwynevere
Fiona is Gwynevere
Kasumi Sumika is Gwynevere
Maximillian Thermidor is Gwynevere
Wong Xiaolong is Gwynevere
>>
>>47264607
It was my birthday so I backed and got Gaping Dragon, Kalameet, Four Kings, Darkroot Basin, and the tileset. Just over 300.

>>47264663
Figurines ands all mechanics to use them in game
>>
>>4726460
Oh man. I've pledged 227 dollars for core, DR garden + tileset and an extra boss.

I'm torn on if I should say fuck it and get one more boss. But its damn hard to choose. Like Kalameet is a bad ass, but by the time I fought him I was way over leveled and the fight wasn't super hard. On the other hand Asylum demon was my first boss so I'm emotionally attached to him, but his move set might be kinda weak.
>>
>>47264607
I picked up core, Darkroot, tiles expansion, Kalameet, Four Kings, and a third mega boss that I've yet to decide on. Probably Iron King to match my nice new Iron Keep tiles. Came out at about $320 after shipping... urgh my wallet.
>>
>>47272817
Knight Slayer Ring has the same icon as the Ivory Warrior Ring.
>>
So me and my boyfriend seem to agree that Rodaria is Gwynevere is the queen of Lothric and thus Ocelette's mother, and that Ocelette is almost certainly Yorshka.

Right?
>>
>>47278573
No.
>>
>>47278573
Rosaria might be some fucked up degenerate daugther of Gwynevere, but the actual goddess fucked off long ago.

The queen was probably not a shard of Manus.

Ocelotte is either nonexistient, dead, or invisible in the boss room (since Priscilla could do that, and she was a half-dragon)

Yorshka might be Priscilla's relative somehow, since she also appears to be a halfdragon of the same kind.
>>
>>47278713
I always assumed that since Oceiros was simply mad, and that Ocelotte was never there. During his second phase, he drops that cradling gesture and goes all out.
>>
>>47263739
it's more likely that freyja just HAS the lordsoul remains, much like the others do. I mean sure, the sinner's bug resembles the bed of chaos, and the rotten is a bunch of corpses, but I'd bank more on the soul making the body conform to it over time than any form of reincarnation.
Seath is the only one explicitly said to never die through many lives, and that's ONLY because he's a mad wizard scientist.

The lord souls don't reincarnate, but they DO get passed around.

Now, Oceiros has the MLGS because he tried to make himself into a second seath, and this might have involved trying to make the remnants of seath's soul join with his own, especially given how his soul looks (god am I pleased with the unique boss soul icons). Seath-worship is a thing now, after all, and cults dedicated to crazy mad wizard scientists will inevitably also do mad wizard science.
>>
>>47278573
Gwynevere is not the queen of Lothric. This is confirmed.
>>
>>47263739
Didn't Duke Tseldora find Seath's soul, and it made him insane and obsessed with spiders, then he used the soul to create Freya?
>>
Could burning archtrees have evaporated Ash Lake?

The Chaos flame is going out, perhaps they just ran out of archtree kindling, and now it's just smoldering.
>>
>>47279335
Doubt it.
>>
>>47267223
Bearer could be gay. Plus the intro cinematic shows what is clearly implied to be the Bearer's wife holding a child, so either the Bearer is canon a male, or the Bearer is canon gay.
>>
>>47268444
>>her
Gwynevere is a girl, anon
>>
File: Lovely Hallway of Death.jpg (620 KB, 1917x1073) Image search: [Google]
Lovely Hallway of Death.jpg
620 KB, 1917x1073
Why are there dead Serpent-men in this hallway?

This is right after Oceiros and right before you get into the Untended Graves.

There are about five dead Serpent-men that can be attacked and will bleed though I assume they are dead since they are laying there as if they are.

There is only one serpent-man walking through the hall.

Before you enter this room you are in your own time. After you leave this hallway you are in the past.

What is the lore behind the serpent-men?
>>
>>47269523
Painted World does seem to have been destroyed, whether or not Priscilla died with it is unknown though. Corvian Storytellers spin tales of the Painted World, and seem to be descendants of the crow people once imprisoned there for their association with Velka.
The Painted World spilling out its contents into the Anor Londo surroundings could also explain the eternal winter of Irithyl, as the Painted World existed in a similar state.
>>
>>47279479
Could be Oceiros was experimenting on them, since he's got an obsession with dragon transformation.
>>
>>47269931
>finally reach Anor Londo
>hundreds of NPC hollows decked out in scrub gear
>DrakeSword 2h r2s being constantly fired at you from every direction
>literally can't get past the greatbow archer section because too many hollow players standing on the walkways
>all this after similar conditions in Sen's
I'd love this.
>>
>>47279537
It'd be great, until you realise how many abandoned and OP twinks you're going to have to face in Undead Burg.
>>
>>47273606
Red eyes REALLY seems to indicate Abyss corruption, just not to the point that Pus of Man manifests.
The "friendly" Abyss Watchers in the fight are marked by their glowing red eyes which explains the infighting to a degree, but I still can't understand the wierd blood ritual thing that happened going into stage 2 of the fight. Was that all the fallen souls of the Watchers coalescing into one body as a vessel so that he could fight with the strength of a true and proper Lord of Cinder? It would explain the sudden fire attacks, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the boss Watcher gets the kindles effect on his clothes in second half?
>>
File: Temp.jpg (186 KB, 700x774) Image search: [Google]
Temp.jpg
186 KB, 700x774
Do fire keepers mutate and become all wriggly? The Firekeeper souls and Brass Armor seem to imply that yes, all that humanity IS visible as bugs/leeches/whatever crawling about under your skin.

Therefore people shouldn't waifu fire keepers because they are gross
>>
>>47279585
He does ember up, the Twin Princes appear to as well.

The order is big on wolf blood, their item is the wolf blood swordgrass, how that translates to them being able to coalesce via blood is unclear.
>>
>>47279608
Their souls might but not the actual individual as evidenced by the mounds of dead firekeepers in the bell-tower.
>>
>>47279585
Yes, that's the Blood of The Wolf reuiniting in one vessel. The Watches dilluted the power of being a Lord of Cinder amongst them, when you drop the last one, it comes together again in one flame.
>>
>>47278573
There's definitely a connection between Rosaria and Gwynevere, but I've yet to see anyone perform the mental gymnastics required to justify Gwynevere going to the Cathedral of Deep, becoming some sort of Rebirth monster and running an invasion covenant.

Yorshka=Ocelotte's only proof is that Yorshka is half-dragon. Other than that they have 0 links and plenty suggesting the contrary, as baby cries are heard in Oceiros' fight but Yorshka is much older, and why would Ocelotte be in Anor Londo?
>>
>>47279613
All those are half-mummified, ancient corpses of dead firekeepers who presumably no longer 'squirm with humanity'.

I'm not sure you can call that conclusive.
>>
>>47278997
Confirmed where and how?
>>
>>47279585
>Was that all the fallen souls of the Watchers coalescing into one body as a vessel so that he could fight with the strength of a true and proper Lord of Cinder?

That's my understanding of what happens.
>>
>>47279611
They shared the wolf blood.
Traditionally the sharing of blood symbolized the combining of the individual participants into one being.
The embering empowers you so might have had the simply empowered them which would mean creating one strong individual as opposed to many weaker ones.
>>
>>47279479
Reminder that it's not conclusive that Untended Graves is in the past. I for one think it isn't, but that's neither here nor there. Point is, I don't think the transition to UG has anything to do with the dead serpentmen, they're likely just Oceiros' experiments.

The one living manserpent that attacks you is Ocelotte
>>
>>47279630
The translations of the divine blessings from the original Jap text;

English translation:
"Holy water blessed by the Queen of Lothric. The Queen of Lothric, married to the former King Oceiros, was initially revered as a goddess of fertility and bounty. After giving birth to Ocelotte, her youngest, she quietly disappeared."

Original Japanese text:
"Holy water said to have been blessed by the queen of Lothric. She was the wife to the previous king Osroeth, and even compared to a goddess of fertility and bounty, but she is said to have disappeared after giving birth to their youngest child, Ocelotte."
>>
>>47279661
Link to the translations which should be in the op
http://00tn2.blogspot dot com.au/2016/04/dark-souls-3.html
>>
>>47279646
>shared the wolf blood

This sounds like one of those things it'd be useful to know the original Japanese text for, 'sharing' means too many things in english.
>>
>>47279625
The lore seems to indicate that the humanity itself "writhe and squirm".
The brass set belonged to an undead firekeeper which would explain why she was hideous. Going hollow/looking undead isn't attractive.

Other than that, nowhere else does it say they mutate themselves or even imply it.
>>
>>47279661
That's not what confirmed means, anon.
Titsmom = Queen Lothric theorists already suggest the general populace doesn't know she's Gwynevere; "revered as" is functionally similar enough to "compared to" that it doesn't actually make a difference.
I thought there was a dev quote or something that deconfirmed it.
>>
Just got an email from the kickstarter saying that they will "be very bust on the final 24 hours", should I be worried? What happens when they bust?
>>
>>47279774
It's confirmed enough.
We've got proof it's not gwynevere and nothing stating she is.
>>
>>47279791
Covers your face and protects you from the curse effect.
>>
>>47279774
It's completely changes the context though.
'Revered as' in this case means they worshiped her as a goddess again meaning they viewed her as a goddess. Knowing or not knowing it's gwynevere doesn't matter.

'Compared to' in this context means she was similar to a goddess, not worshiped as one.
They drew similarities between her traits and that of a fertility goddess but didn't worship her as one because they knew she wasn't one.

The japanese text says she wasn't a goddess, gwynevere or otherwise.
>>
>>47279867
It doesn't suggest they knew she wasn't a Goddess, it would suggest they thought she wasn't one. I agree that it changes the meaning in the sense that in English they originally went "hey it's totally Gwynevere!" and worshipped her before getting over it or realising their mistake, while in Japanese they just never thought she was Gwynevere.
It would be a like a shitty sitcom sketch where a famous person puts on a moustache and people go "hey you look exactly like [famous person]" but never actually draw the conclusion that they ARE the famous person.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Gwynevere is Hannah Montana.
>>
>>47279945
No, you idiot, Yorshka is Hannah Montana.
>>
>>47279945
I can't disagree with what you're saying.
We can only hope she makes an appearance or is mentioned in the DLC.
>>
What the fuck is an Heir of Fire and why is every non-LoC boss called that?
>>
>>47280046
To be honest I'm fine with the Gwynevere/Queen Lothric mystery being one of the unsolvable ones that Miyazaki intends players to draw their own conclusions about, rather than one we'll get some clearcut answer about. Far from all mysteries in Souls series have a single, clear, intended answer to them.
In fact I thought the same way about Gwyn's Firstborn back in DS1, how could I have known they'd shove Nameless King down our throats so many years later.
>>
>>47280074
It's commonly accepted that it means they have a Soul strong enough that they could potentially link the First Flame, but I don't think any text in-game suggests this (or anything contrary, for that matter). It does make sense though.
>>
>>47280074
A Heir of Flame is someone who at one point could have been a Lord of Cinder, but didn't become one for whatever reason.
>>
>>47272093
The ancient city isn't Eleum Loyce, there were no knights left there.
Also, Alsanna dies after giving her 100(?) Loyce souls.
>>
>>47273865
>Was part of the deal to get demon's and BB on the Playstation 3/4 that sony had exclusive rights?
Yeah, basically. I think Atlus has rights on Demon's Souls too, basically ensuring it'll never get a rerelease (trying to get three corps to okay something like that is like herding cats).
From (or specifically Miyazaki, I forget exactly which) signed a three-game deal with Sony after Dark Souls' success, so we have two more yet.
>>
>>47279479
>Why are there dead Serpent-men in this hallway?
>What is the lore behind the serpent-men?

The Serpent Men are a kind of animal people within the dark souls setting that seem to worship Dragons. Many of the Serpent rings state that Snakes/Serpents are seen as being "greedy" due to them making up for their short comings of being "imperfect dragons".
I can only imagine that culturally speaking: Serpent Men are covetous people, but are devout followers and worshippers of Dragons.

Seath had an entire staff/brood of Serpent Men as his own guards within his archives and most likely lent an additional brood to whoever's responsible for Sen's fortress.

>What is the lore behind the serpent-men?

My big idea behind Serpent-Men in Ds3 is they're basically the local feral population that continued on continuing on after seath was disposed of. They never abandoned or lost faith in their adoration for Dragons and so when the Dragon Peek came around they sought sanctuary there and acted as it's caretakers and citizens- seeing to the Dragons and their disciples needs.

Ocerius when he became a Dragon mutant must have attracted a small following of Serpent-Men who wished to serve and worship him.

The Serpent men interestingly enough may have NOT BEEN CREATED BY SEATH as it says on their shields,
"The painting is the result of an exquisite but painstaking technique. Lingering, undying traces of the ancient dragons can still be seen in their descendants, the man-serpents, though they have fallen far from grace."

They're like de-evolved dragon people.
>>
>>47280220
>>47279479
>what is the lore behind the serpent men

They're from Sen's Funhouse. Maybe play DS1 before you shitpost.
>>
File: 1217992951902.jpg (211 KB, 800x1017) Image search: [Google]
1217992951902.jpg
211 KB, 800x1017
>>47280220
>Dragon Peek
>>
>>47280220
>My big idea behind Serpent-Men in Ds3 is they're basically the local feral population that continued on continuing on after seath was disposed of.
Now that I think about it, since Lothric is built around the Duke's Archives, that could be what all the dead serpent men in the walk to Oceiros' room are.
>>
>>47279945
>proof that she ISN'T Gwynevere is actually proof she IS

I hope you never try to be taken seriously IRL.
>>
File: wat.png (827 KB, 623x580) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
827 KB, 623x580
>>47280278
>since Lothric is built around the Duke's Archives
>>
>>47280253
Not only only did the one guy mention their presence in Sen's Fortress, but the fact that they're in Sen's has next to nothing to do with the lore behind the race. You're the only shitposter here.
>>
>>47280288
That isn't what I said at all, stop purposefully misconstruing what people say to get a kneejerk reaction.
In return, I'll stop giving you the kneejerk reactions you crave.
>>
>>47280278
>>47280298

>Now that I think about it, since Lothric is built around the Duke's Archives, that could be what all the dead serpent men in the walk to Oceiros' room are.

Funny you should mention that: Lothric's Archives aren't actually built around/from the Duke's Archives.

The Duke Archives are still in Anor Londo and can be seen in the distance- the physical structure anyway.

You know what I think the deal with Lothric's grand archive is?
The Books were stolen/looted from the Duke's archive: it's why they're cursed, seath fucking cursed the Books.
>>
>>47280298
I think it's the idea that the Grand Archives are literally the Duke's Archives, which personally I don't believe for multiple reasons. It seems more likely that at some point the information from DA was relocated, possibly multiple times, rather than the building surviving in it's entirety (but somehow changing structure) over the course of untold centuries/millenia.
>>
>>47280321
The only piece of textual evidence related to Queen Lothric (the item description of Divene Blessing in its ENG & JPN version) clearly states her non-god status, and yet you cite that as proof that she IS a god (Gwyenevere).
>>
So the Nameless King is Solaire, right?
>>
>>47280345
obviously
>>
>>47280330
>The Duke Archives are still in Anor Londo and can be seen in the distance- the physical structure anyway.
That's the Undead Settlement and stuff.
>>
>>47280345
No, he's Lautrec.
>>
>>47280330
>cursed
I like it.
On the topic though, what even is Curse? It's obviously most associated with Seath and his crystals, you even crystalise when getting killed by curse in DS1 and 3, but curse doesn't only come from sources related to Seath. Basilisks inflict it despite seemingly having no relation to either, and Sulyvahn's spider beasts inflict it. Is it just something meant to be handwaved as videogame mechanics for the most part?
>>
>>47280341
But it doesn't state that. I'm saying that it leaves the identity issue vague and up for personal interpretation.

The reason I think Momtits is the Queen is because she is as far we know the ONLY source of Divine Blessings, which makes sense given their incredible healing properties. And now suddenly in DS3 the Divine Blessings originate from the Queen, who is similar enough to Gwynevere to warrant comparisons/reverations by the citizens of Lothric. And nothing contradicts this theory.
>>
>>47280188
Then why does the ring both look the same and do the same as the loyce knights'?
>>
>>47280345
He's Andre from the original world, while Andre in pocket-dimension-Firelink is just a copy created by Ludleth to serve the Unkindled, like the Shrine Handmaiden.
>>
>>47280404
So why is the Shrine Handmaiden at the Untended Graves before Ludleth arrives?
>>
>>47280384
>And nothing contradicts this theory.

Nothing except the piece of evidence you're using as proof. She isn't Gwynevere. Stop being obtuse.
>>
>>47280428
>this item description doesn't explicitly call her thing, therefore she cannot be thing.

The description says nothing conclusive in either direction.
>>
>>47280421
Probably doing her job as handmaiden of the Shrine. Why else would she be there in the first place at all?
>>
>>47280428
This is clearly only going to continue as a bickering contest of "it says she isn't" and "it doesn't say she is or isn't", so I'm not going to reply to you anymore.
>>
>>47280464
To whom? There's no one to serve and you're there early, why would Ludleth have created her so much earlier than the others?

And if Ludleth is so easily able to create people who pass the turing test, why can't he find a better solution for their remains than leaving them in a heap in the tower?

Ludleth isn't powerful or smart enough to have such potent involvement IMO.
>>
>>47280488
I didn't say that Ludleth created the handmaiden, just her copy in Firelink. Who fucking knows where she came from, or really anything about her including why she's in the real world Untended Graves.

And to be honest I don't even know where the "Ludleth created the hub-Firelink" theory came from, I'm just parroting what I've seen more than a couple people bring up in these threads. Come to think of it they're probably just making conspiracies because Ludleth is so unassuming and we know so little about him.
>>
>>47280552
>Come to think of it they're probably just making conspiracies because Ludleth is so unassuming and we know so little about him.
Bingo.
>>
>>47280565
>>47280552
>>47280488
>>47280464
>>47280421
>>47280404

I'm just a casual observer, but the idea that Ludleth MADE the untended graves is.. Well it's poppy-cock.

Here are the things we know about the little lord Ludleth:

-He's from Courland which may or may not be a country that either no longer exists or nobody knows about. No other item ever mentions such a place.

-Courland possess the ability to transpose SOULS: this is a trade/skill he possessed during his mundane life as evident by the fact that he personally owns the "skull ring", "One of Courland's transposed wonders. Derived from the soul of a Soulfeeder." "one of courlands WONDERS" implies he had done this for a while and was known for such a trade.

-Courland's linking of the fire was horrendously traumatic to him and the process burned him horrible and left him a terrible singed cripple. He has nightmares of it and talks in his sleep about the awful pain he experienced when lighting the first flame.

-Courland is aware of the untended graves and seems to have KNOWN the firekeeper with the eyes, saying "we did everything we could to spare her". Who knows what this entails.
>>
File: original.jpg (22 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
22 KB, 720x480
>>47280596
>Who knows what this entails.

She's seeing things she shouldn't see, it's pretty obvious what has to be done.
>>
>>47280596
>He's from Courland which may or may not be a country
It's a region in what is now Latvia. Converted to Christianity by a holy order which amalgamated with the Teutonic Knight, was ruled by the Livonian Order (a collection of, essentially, knight-bishoprics) for a few hundred years, taken over by Russia (the Soulfeeder).
>>
Are Catarinans black or german
>>
>>47280661
both
>>
>>47280596
>He has nightmares
When does this happen? Is it just one of those things that has a small chance of happening when you load the hub zone, like the cute idle animations of Maiden in Black, Emerald Herald, or Plain Doll?
>>
>>47280728
When you kill him, he respawns but you have to wake him up before you can talk to him again.
>>
>>47280745
>Kill Ludleth the Collosus
But he's too moe to hurt...

That's interesting that he respawns though, considering you can just use his Cinders to transpose boss souls after the Kiln ritual, and he doesn't really do anything else. Do Andre and the Handmaiden respawn as well, since they're "native" to Firelink? (as opposed to all the other NPCs which can come and go from the Shrine.
>>
>>47280850
Andre respawns, but refuses to enhance your equipment.
>"Overstep not your bounds, cousin. I may serve, but I'm no slave. I have business I must attend, begone."
The Handmaiden also respawns, but increases her prices by 20%.
You can fix those things at the statue of Velka in the Undead Settlement, though.

The Fire Keeper also respawns, obviously, but I think that's pretty much it? Presumably the others respawn somewhere in their own worlds, given that they're mostly Undead.
>>
>>47281096
So we know Andre, HM, FK, and Luleth respawn. I wonder if this means anything besides
>video games
>>
>>47280850
>>47281096
>>47281139

The Shrinemaiden makes the interesting comment of admitting her undead curse is "linked" to the shrine itself which is most likely part of her being a shrinemaiden.

She could also just as easily mean that her "purpose" is supporting and living within the shrine and as long as it exists she has purpose enough to continue living.
>>
Who hyped for the Board Game here?
I'm wanting to get it, but the Base + Darkroot + Extra Tiles is quite the hefty price.
$260 minus shipping here in Aussieland.
>>
>>47281139
Andre seems to be unkindled, and is probably the same Andre from DS1 given that he knew the giant blacksmith of Anor Londo.
The handmaiden just straight-up tells you that she's undead.
The firekeeper has this line of dialog:
>"I'm truly sorry
>but know'st thou not? I cannot die. So please, ashen one, allow me to serve thee.
>The Lords have left their thrones, and must be delivered to them. To this end, I am ever at thy side."
Much like Ludleth said, she is a prisoner.

Ludleth is Ludleth. He has a clear purpose that he's not given up on yet, and that's to light the fire once more.

It's somewhat useful to remember that besides all the time bullshit going on in Lordranglic most of the NPCs are also Undead and thus will respawn at a bonfire when killed. Possibly while also becoming Hollow. Also, the big NPCs probably respawn in their own worlds? Who even knows, man. What the hell is up with them teleporting to Firelink anyway? And how did Eygon get there if he isn't Undead? (Is he?)
>>
>>47281204
Base + Darkroot + Asylum Demon + tiles + Manus for me.
Everything for friend (lending him the money).
Retail edition + Manus + one each of the three exclusives (Manus for me, Manus + Giant + Chariot for friend, selling copies make up for losses, acting through local comics shop proprietor friend).
Came out to 804 britbucks, after friends repays me and I sell the retail edition copies I should have only spent $126 to -$132 (negative sign intentional) depending on market forces.
So probably $126.
>>
>>47281222
I don't think Andre is unkindled, I think he's just a plain old undead who likes smithing enough to keep himself going indefinitely.
>>
>>47281204
I'm getting that stuff and 3 bosses for 400 True North diddlydollarinos.
I'm hyped yet already feeling anxious about dropping that much money in one sitting.
>>
>>47281222
>>47281293
Yeah what exactly suggests Andre's Unkindled? He was undead in DS1, during a time where Unkindled didn't exist. I doubt his state of undying has changed, he's just been able to smith for all these countless ages, and thus never go hollow.
>>
>>47281298
I'm both hoping and dreading they'll do another expansion if they hit 3.5m or 4m, because I'll eat that up.
Also, I'm pledging now and had a question. Do I just do the regular 80 GBP pledge now, and add more later, or do I need to pledge for the amount of the things I'm adding.
I'm new to Kikestarter.
>>
>>47281275
>Manus + Giant + Chariot
What's up with those? I've only heard of Manus, he'll only be available in-stores, as opposed to via kickstarter, right? Same as the others I'm guessing?
>>
>>47281319
Here, meant to ask you too.
>>47281275
>>
>>47281319
>or do I need to pledge for the amount of the things I'm adding
Yes.
>>
>darkroot expansion
>no ariamis expansion
I'm out.
>>
>>47281319
You can change your pledge later I'm pretty sure, I know I just switched my 104-bongs pledge to a 214-bongs pledge. It would make sense that you can change the amount you pledge up until they start sending out the products.
You can probably dig around the kickstarter site for a FAQ or something to make sure.
I'd just do the addition to know how much pounds they want for all the pieces you want to get, and pledge that amount right away.
So for example with a minimum 80 pledge (obvioiusly), if you want to add the darkroot expansion, just pledge 115 right off the bat.

Also, we get Horace at 3.6m, Beatrice at 3.8, and the nudist Sword Master at 4million. Theoretically they should add an expansion on after we unlock that weeaboo faggot at 4 million, but with only 6 hours left I doubt that's gonna happen.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.