[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: general jarkeld.jpg (78 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
general jarkeld.jpg
78 KB, 312x445
Jank Tribal Edition

Useful Links:
http://www.mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

http://www.tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

http://www.edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

http://manabasecrafter.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

CARD SEARCHING

http://gatherer.com
>Official search site. Current for all sets but has a terrible UI.

http://www.magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.

Previous thread: >>46512317

What tribes to you love, even if they suck?
>>
>>46528306
(Pic related, I am working on monowhite soldiers without the Darien karma urbog combo and am looking at the jank alternatives)
>>
File: 106.jpg (75 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
106.jpg
75 KB, 312x445
I'm trying to finish my Thromok deck after some anon asked me when it's going to stop being a work in progress.
I'm trying to use mana dorks and creatures with ETBs to keep artifacts and other annoying stuff under control. I think I need good sac outlets in R/G, and I don't know of any great token producers in R, since I've never built a deck with it.
>>
>>46528452
Most of the good token makers in red are goblin tribal, and goblins go well with being sacrificed, so you may want to consider that. Green is full of good token makers, so you shouldn't have too many issues with this, but green token makers tend to be less efficient than white in terms of number of creatures vs mana needed, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>46528576
Do you have any suggestions of cheap monetarily token producers?
>>
>>46528596
Get good irl
>>
>>46528452
I run Ulasht and can help you out

Chancellor of the Forge
Kazuul
Cloudstone Curio
Rally the Horde
Phyrexian Altar
Goblin Bombardment
Skullclamp
Shivan Harvest

admittedly red doesn't make fuckloads of tokens, you just use to to go to value town and splash all the good removal like Shatterstorm, Ruination, Gorilla Shaman, Viashino Heretic, Fissure, and Aftershock.
>>
File: werty.png (2 MB, 1788x645) Image search: [Google]
werty.png
2 MB, 1788x645
>>46528596
Here are some cheap ones. Not all of these are great, but these are all a buck or less, and none of them are terrible.

>>46528697
That doesn't even make sense.
>>
>>46528452

Goblin bombardment is one of the best sac outlets ever

RG have a million good token producers

deranged hermit, dragon fodder, siege gang commander, avenger of zendikar, wort the Raidmother (gets better if you have a lot of token making instants and sorceries like sa prolong symbiosis and second harvest)
>>
Recently made some changes to my Azami deck, it's more tempo-y now

If any of you have any thoughts, cards you think might be missing or what you think I don't need to run, that would be wonderful

No mana crypt, mana drain, or force of will, those could obviously make the deck better but my budget still lets me buy decently expensive cards like Snapcaster

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/time-crimes/
>>
>>46528697
Most of those are expensive, but these are some good suggestions. I have a bunch of artifact removal, some land destruction, but it's not the focus of the deck.

>>46528732
I already run some of these, Sylvan Offering and Night Soil are pretty good.

>>46528736
Wort is a very interesting choice, I'll try to get one of them.
>>
File: Gwafa.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Gwafa.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
Fitting with the theme of the thread, who are the best commanders for Human Tribal? The new Sigarda is up there along with Daxos, but what else works?
>>
>>46528732

Fresh meat is such a ridiculous card

Honestly hard to resolve if you're running it on a token combo deck

Make 5 tokens, sac two to cast spell that makes 8 more, sac 9 to cast spell that makes 12

Sac all those, how much is my fresh meat again lol?
>>
>>46529108
Karona
>>
File: 1427651783761.gif (2 MB, 280x286) Image search: [Google]
1427651783761.gif
2 MB, 280x286
>>46529117

>tfw two foil Koranas I picked up back when she was new
>>
>>46529108

I think shu yun is good because he is a human with a solid ability and red white blue are good colors for humans I think
>>
>>46529165
>2 foil Karonas around the time Scourge came out
Wow, how much did they cost you then? $2 each?
>>
>>46528640
Context, motherfucker, what is it? This is responding to an idiot who runs a 31-lands deck. At that point a basic swamp is better than whole lot of cards.
>>
>>46529219

Something like that.
>>
File: 1420974044368.jpg (236 KB, 691x625) Image search: [Google]
1420974044368.jpg
236 KB, 691x625
>>46529268
please don't bring that troll back up, I thought we were past this.
>>
>>46529394
He will live on, like his brother, remach guy
>>
So I'm currently trying to finish up my Meren deck. This is what I've been running: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-current-1/
Anyone have any suggestions for upgrades or interesting includes/cuts?
>>
>>46529268
that doesn't change the fact that the argument that a swamp is better than a dark ritual because "dark ritual makes only 2 mana for a phase" while a swamp makes 1 mana for many turns to come
>>
>>46529762
That argument is valid in a lot of cases, for a lot of decks. Context matters, you mong.
>>
>>46529268
were you not in the last thread?
>>
>>46529762

You're missing a clause at the end of this post
>>
>>46529108
It depends. With humans, you can go with a swarm strategy, counter strategy or a sacrifice strategy and ideally all 3, so you generally want to be in Junk, so that means Daghatar the Adamant is a good pick.
>>
>>46528306
My friend and I were discussing tribes the other day. I was saying I think it would be a cool idea if Wizards made a set that had legendaries for a bunch of tribes we don't have legends for yet. The only thing I could think of for story would be some powerful planeswalker abducting legends from random planes, and maybe even the past or future, for a fighting tournament.

Also anyone who reads this, whats a good coat of arms-esque card in naya colors?
>>
>>46529963

Beast master Ascension
Shared animosity
>>
>>46529987
Yeah I was thinking shared animosity because tokens.
>>
>>46528306
Shapeshifter/changeling tribal with all kinds of artifacts and enchantments that care about creature types
>>
File: 1442357700612.gif (347 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1442357700612.gif
347 KB, 255x255
>tfw no new decks you want to build
>tfw current decks are all done
>>
File: 2305823085023802.png (394 KB, 871x453) Image search: [Google]
2305823085023802.png
394 KB, 871x453
>Crabs are my favorite animal.
>No Crab Legend.
>Not even any good crab creatures.
>>
>>46530922

Now you just gotta find time to play them all
>>
>>46530984
No need to be so crabby about it.
>>
>>46530989

I play all the time. It just feels weird not having any decks in progress.
>>
>>46530984

>hedron crab isn't good
>>
>>46530984

Crabs killed my dad.
>>
>>46529963
We need more noggles. That is the only tribe I want more of.
>>
>>46531146
I gave your dad crabs
>>
File: 1415445463442.png (32 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
1415445463442.png
32 KB, 940x529
>>46531294

Aunt Sheila?!?!
>>
>>46531356
No, your other aunt Sheila.
>>
>>46531580

That's impossible, she's been dead for years unless..

Unless maybe crazy old Uncle Marvin wasn't lying about that book he found, unless he actually did unlock the secrets of death! This changes everything, I need to warn the others before it's too l
>>
Tribes I want a legend for would be Homarid, Kavu, and Myr.
>>
>>46531637
See, this kind of autistic shit is exactly why so many of your relatives made you think you they were dead.
>>
>>46529108

Both OG Teysa and Saffi work well with Human tribal, both because of Angel of Glory's Rise. It's a plus that both are humans themselves.

The main combo is with Fiend Hunter of course.

Teysa is a sac outlet to get it going and has access to Death Cultist, which is both a win con and a human. There is also the classic Darkest Hour combo available as well.

Saffi is just a combo monster who can replace Fiend Hunter while the combo is firing. However, you will need a sac outlet, which is more difficult in GW. Blasting Station is the main goto outlet, but there is the new monowhite Fallen Angel that can be tutored with TaN, which is a plus.

I have played both, and I think Saffi is far more resilient commander, however Teysa has more general wincons available.
>>
So how do you name your decks, /tg/? Any themes or do you just pick something that sounds cool?
>>
File: BugsandThugs_Lobby_Card.png (165 KB, 431x353) Image search: [Google]
BugsandThugs_Lobby_Card.png
165 KB, 431x353
>>46532128
I name them in subtly racist ways.

No seriously, I just name them after the Commander. I thought that's what everyone did.
>>
>>46532206

My Azami deck
My captain sisay deck

No need for kitschy names
>>
>>46532279
There's always that faggot who'll name his decks "the gay pride parade" or "divide by zero" or some such shit he thinks is clever to describe his 5-colors superfriend or Izzet combo deck. But that guy's an autist. Deck names aren't supposed to be jokes, they're supposed to be informative.
>>
So, I'm looking to get into Commander as, according to people at my local Magic Club, it's the easiest format to get into. I was planning on grabbing a prebuilt Commander deck or two this weekend and I wanted to ask which ones would be a good idea to grab. I'd like to run a Blue/Black deck of some kind, if possible.
>>
Hey does any one have any ideas on how to make a No fun Naya deck, Basically I want a deck that never wins but makes everyone else hate the game. I think naya is a good choice of colors for it too. any suggested cards?
>>
>>46532374

Draft is the easiest format to get into

But edh is second place

of the blue black edh precons oloro is good but his deck isn't great, jeleva is very powerful and the deck is pretty decent

The sultai deck is better I think but it's a bajillion dollars because it's from commander 2011, all those decks are hard to find
>>
>>46532374
>it's the easiest format to get into
Debatable. Depends on how casual your local meta is.
>which ones would be a good idea to grab
Whichever you think looks fun, they're generally all solid.
>I'd like to run a Blue/Black deck of some kind, if possible.
The only two blue/black precons I can think of in recent years are Oloro and Jelava. Of those, Oloro is easily the best one. But I'd ask why you want to play blue/black. If you're just interested in graveyard synergies, good creature removal and lots of card advantage, Meren (green/black) is also a perfect fit.
>>
>>46532459
I found that most of the time, the Jelava precon does absolutely nothing. Jelava is only the better deck if you rebuild it from the ground up into a storm combo deck or something, and someone who's new to Magic defnitely isn't going to be able to do that.
>>
>>46532386
I don't know if that's really possible in those colors
>>
>>46532459
>>46532462
Well, they're pretty casual and have drafts every Tuesday.

And honestly, I just like Blue/Black for the Knowledge/Power fluff.

I'll keep an eye out for Oloro and Jelava then.
>>
>>46532386

Spirit of the labyrinth
Impending disaster
Gaddock TEEG
Stranglehold
Aven Mindcensor
Torpor orb
Linvala
Stony silence
Suppression field
Rest in peace
>>
>>46532515
It must be some kind of weird bait. When you think of no-fun-allowed decks, you usually think Esper or Sultai. Maybe Daretti. But for the most part, never Naya.
>>
>>46532515
I think it is, you have things like Vornaclex, bearer of the heavens + boros charm, windborn and seed born muse, suppression feild, null rod, Kataki wars rage, that griffin that nulls etbs, rest in piece, a lot of wraths and land distractions
>>
>>46532534
>hatebears is no-fun-allowed
I'm really trying to understand and accept your opinion but it's hard, your opinion is so shit.
>>
>>46532561
I can assure you its not bait. I really want to know and build this deck.
>>
>>46532607
Why Naya?
>>
>>46532582
Oh so you're just using it for the colors

I would just run a whole bunch of wipes/exile effects, MLD, and artifact destruction. Maybe run Marath and just give counters to opponents' creatures/use the X damage ability

It's a weird request for that color combo, anon, it really is
>>
>>46532643
I am a weird guy but yeah thats what I was thinking
>>46532638
Need something that looks normal but competitive and I have a lot of naya colored cards already so I am trying to do it on the cheap
>>
>>46532530

Precon decks are kinda overrated in my opinion

When you get even the least bit serious about building it out right with good cards, you'll find that you probably won't be keeping more than 5 or so cards from the precon

It's only cheaper if you really are just going to play precons vs precons, otherwise I think not one of the precon decks is actually worth the retail price in terms of the value of the playable cards that are in it

You can build a much better edh deck for still pretty cheap ($50-$100) then spending $40 on a precon that won't even let you compete with anybody playing a real deck

However the precon commanders themselves range from decent to top tier and if you really like a specific precon commander it's more worth it to buy that deck
>>
>>46532591

I love playing with hatebears, I just assumed that's what the person meant by "no fun allowed" in naya

All strats are fun for me so I'm out of my element trying to give people advice on how to be not fun
>>
>>46532582
Red has some 'no fun' cards. Lots of land hate, too.

War's Toll
Price of Glory
Stranglehold
Burning Earth, Manabarbs
Jokulhaups

Just to name a few
>>
>>46532128
If there's something obvious with the general then maybe something along those lines, but i usually just stick with the general's name.
>>
>>46532767
Vicious Shadows to fuck up people who love their card draw players. I've killed a Kruphix player using a sac engine with Vicious Shadows before

Oooh! Also, Stalking Vengeance. Fucking amazing card. Especially if you want to combo it with Marath making bigass Elementals

Big Red control is fun as fuck
>>
How does one do Wx token decks in EDH?
>>
File: 1448775787459.png (29 KB, 198x200) Image search: [Google]
1448775787459.png
29 KB, 198x200
Is there seriously any deck outside of mono blue prison that makes EDH less fun than Eldrazi?

>Everyone and their dog has an eldrazi deck
>Easy to cheese out early in the game leading to annihilator and ingest triggers before you have much of a board state
>Newlamog and new Koz never stop being efficient to cast, the former's abilities being on cast/attack
>Eldrazi players always act surprised and extremely offended when targeted. Aka "I built X so I should win every game" syndrome
>Deck speed and consistency are off the charts because muh colorless mana
>>
I have a deck with Tariel that focuses around killing creatures and bringing them back on your side with better abilities/power etc. I call it Mister Steal Yo Girl.
>>
>>46533072
I'll take Bribery for $200 Alex
>>
>>46532879

Basically every deck wants card draw and ramp

If you're a token deck you want token makers

Then you want stuff that scales with the number of creatures you control or put into play like craterhoof behemoth and aura shards
>>
>>46533111

Well memed my friend!!
>>
Going to PAX East and just readying my deck for the inevitable shitstorm of broken decks. Last time i was there there were slivers, flickering, exiling...god, so much bullshit.
>>
>>46533111
But Tariel is female.
>>
>>46533198
:p At some point in any game unless everyone focuses on me, everyone will give at least one creature to me. After that people tend to start attacking me much more.
>>
File: Ad Nauseam ALA.jpg (79 KB, 620x250) Image search: [Google]
Ad Nauseam ALA.jpg
79 KB, 620x250
>>46533219
>slivers
>flickering
>exiling
>broken
>mfw
>>
>>46533231
You don't know that for sure, do you? ( ͡- ͜ʖ ͡-)
>>
>>46533072
Artifact hate is plentiful across the naya colors. Unless you're dimir, mono-blue, or mono-black, you have easy access to efficient resources that will fucking wreck their day.

Colorless decks are artifact dependent, and artifact hate is plentiful, efficient, and effective.

A supplemental strategy: tear them a new asshole with nonbasic land hate.
>>
>>46533258
Well..Not broken. Mainly just annoying as hell to deal with.
>>
>>46533219
Well, what are you running?
>>
>always play EDH with my friends
>go to my local LGS one day
>some people are playing EDH
>Animar, Darcum, two other top tier commanders
>they have dual lands and other expensive cards
>all of them try to combo out

These decks look so efficient they're boring to play with and against. I have no problem with combo, I have 2 decks that are based on them, but holy shit, the only deck that interacted with the others was Darcum because he dropped a turn 2 Winter Orb.
>>
>>46533382
I've got Tariel as my commander, some odd cost kill spells for the Eldrazi that I KNOW will be there, Irelia the Warleader for some heavy damage fast, and there's also Iona and Avacyn in the deck.
>>
>>46533428
There are also assorted Ajanis in there, as well as Lilianas.
>>
>>46533427
yeah i really dislike those kinds of decks. Combo arms races are fun to some degree, but it just homogenizes the format to the degree that I dont have much fun anymore.

Then again I can't get any of the cards necessary to make the decks so I don't have much room to talk.
>>
>>46533505
I second this. It's the worst feeling to be assembling a massive combo and then get dropped with 40 commander damage to the face by Scion of the Ur-Dragon...
>>
>>46533427

What exactly made them boring? That they were too good?

What is your interpretation of "interaction"?

Are you saying they didn't run enough removal and counterspells?
>>
>>46533613
I think he meant that they worked too well and had a response to everything thrown at them. Everyone hates a deck there's no flaw in.
>>
>>46533613
What made them too boring is that they had almost no ways to interact with the board, instead focusing entirely only on comboing out as fast as possible, as if they were goldfishing.
I'm always a little wary around people who run original duals and stupid expensive cards in their decks, since they're probably one of those competitive versions you see on the internet.
I'm not saying my decks are cheap, but I can't afford everything I'd like for them. Also, EDH is still supposed to be a casual format, so I keep goofier decks around in case someone wants to play a funnier game.
>>
>>46533629

The reason I ask is I'm trying to pinpoint the general consensus on how and why the arms race can hurt the meta

All in all my meta has become more fun as our decks have evolved and gotten better but there are still times where the salt flows and I think it has to do with decks that don't line up well with the more common decks in the meta, for instance creatureless combo decks can make decks with only kill spells and no counterspells salty, it feels like no matter what they draw they aren't really gonna be able to do anything about the combo player

Also getting straight up priced out is salt inducing, I don't like losing to mana crypt openers that take over the game
>>
I'm putting together a Kresh deck with a focus on putting +1/+1 counters on things
I have cards like Corpsejack Menace, Hardened Scales, and Doubling Season that amplify the effects, but I need some good cards in Jund colors that place counters themselves, or all my creatures, creatures as they ETB, etc (things like Bloodspore Thrinax)
Any suggestions?
>>
>>46533723
I will admit that my deck does have a rather nasty combo with Tariel, Avacyn and Irelia. I steal everyone's shit and then kill them with it. Then they wonder why they didn't kill me first.
>>
>>46533808
Check out the green Graft and Evolve creatures.
Also, Mazirek and Jugan might be up you ally.
>>
>>46532368

Pretty much this, I cringe when I see autistic shit like that one faggot who posts his awful Nahiri deck like every thread and thinks the name is clever.
>>
>>46532757
I'm in a different boat, all strats for me are fun EXCEPT the strats that define this format: battlecruiser Magic, Gxx ramping into fatties into card advantage into more fatties.

I'd rather play against 37 stax decks (in a row) than sit at another table with Zegana, Damia and Meren masturbating over their board states and recurring everything forever until you can no longer see the table under all those fucking cards.
>>
>>46534013
Can't you just boardwipe? Not sure what the commanders do.
>>
>>46533992
Entertain me, what's the name?
>>46533072
Don't blame the eldrazis, blame the fast mana. The RC is convinced fast mana is never a problem, it's what you cast with it that causes issues. They're sort of slow like that.
>>
File: eva_green_reaction_do_want.jpg (14 KB, 316x341) Image search: [Google]
eva_green_reaction_do_want.jpg
14 KB, 316x341
>>46533289
>colorless decks caring about non basic land decks
>implying 95% of colorless decks aren't new players with Wastes

Good one
>>
>>46534013

So your problem is people who durdle too long in first place before closing out the game officially

Reasonable

Games can drag on sometimes
>>
>>46533072
I mean there's that one deck where you just shit out like 10 lands a turn. Don't remember what it's called.
>>
>>46532128
I only have one of my edh decks named, and its called Planet Fitness you can probably guess who the commander is
>>
>>46534056
Of course I can, and of course I do. These decks however are good at keeping the card advantage going, and recurring their threats. So you have to board wipe, and then either attack the graveyards, or the mana. And when you do that they get pissed and think you're a no-fun-allowed faggot. These players just want to put all their cards on the table, having 20+ permanents is the only thing that gets their dick hard. And that's pretty much the core playstyle that defines this format.
>>
>>46534101

I have no idea who is it?
>>
>>46534126

Wait you don't like putting your deck on the battlefield?

It's quite gratifying
>>
>>46534101
What colors?

Also, anyone have any experience with MTGO?
>>
>>46534126
Well, and then there's always that one asshole who plays Living Death after that. The thing is, they're always gonna get butthurt when you dismantle their entire deck with one card.
>>
>>46534177
UG
>>
>>46534230
Newzuri?
>>
>>46534057

Sword and Boardwipes, it's not the worst thing ever but he would post it like 20 times a day.
>>
>>46534170
I love just flopping my deck onto the table for everyone to see.
>>
>>46534170
I like it once in a while, not when it's the only thing anyone apparently ever cares about doing in the format. And I'd say my main gripe about these decks I'm bitching about is how uninteractive they are. They don't care about beating what their opponents are doing, they're only trying to do something bigger. And they view most forms of interaction as mean, unfair or against muh spirit of EDH. They complain when I wrath but then they lose to Craterhoof because they don't run wraths of their own and they come bitch about it on /tg/.
>>
>>46534264
Yes. Its the only deck I gave a cringe worthy name to. Only have 3 edh decks because my group consists of one lazy faggot who only wants to daretti or netdeck shit he's seen online but not have any of the actual cards, a powergaming jackoff, and a guy who thinks all his decks are good because he spends serious cash but still can't perform good combos
>>
>>46534264

Newzuri is a trap, and I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. If he's allowed to stay on the table, he will win the game. If people are smart, they let the command tax add up while you son quietly to yourself as you play another useless creature.
>>
>>46534422
>you son quietly to yourself
>"yeah SON, gonna drop this morph"
>>
>>46529108
I would say Daxos + stoneforge package + counters + draw + tempo creatures.
This is 1v1 though
>I built OGDaxos tempo yesterday so I know what I'm talking about
gonna play a 3dh today so I'll know if it's any good
>>
>>46533427
>he didn't git gud
YOU ARE LIKE A LITTLE BABY
>>
>>46534422
>Daretti is on the battlefield with newzuri
>better target the newzuri player!
>daretti wins because everyone ignores him because newzuri is a big threat

Sounds exactly like my group
>>
File: The Gitgud Frog.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
The Gitgud Frog.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
>proxy the gitgud frog tonight
>butthurt everywhere
>dredging out the ass
>land suicide cunt-ery
The frog power is real.
>>
File: 1447574740277.png (365 KB, 645x597) Image search: [Google]
1447574740277.png
365 KB, 645x597
>mrw I win the game off of Rise of the Dark Realms tonight in a 5 man pod
>>
>>46534659
But who was your general?
>>
>>46534614
Every time I play my gitgud deck it always decks itself, I just pray I draw jarad and sewer nemesis in time
>>
File: meirl.png (38 KB, 323x268) Image search: [Google]
meirl.png
38 KB, 323x268
>>46534688

Erebos.
This is actually my first build of the God of the Dead and I think I've finally found my deck.
>>
>>46534703
Why don't you have any tutors?
>>
>>46534723
What generals were you against? That's generally the thing that indicates how good rise will be.
>>
File: 1371264275196.png (69 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1371264275196.png
69 KB, 900x900
>>46534703
Kozilek
>>
>>46534300
I see what you meme'd there.
>>
>>46534736
Because the deck dumps itself so easily, once my dread return arrives the combo should be a lot smoother
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>46534771
I run one too
>>
>>46534703
You can get around decking yourself by dredging when you have 0 cards in library.

>I just pray I draw jarad and sewer nemesis in time
Just use a Necrotic Ooze combo.
>>
File: WZZkZ70.jpg (14 KB, 235x380) Image search: [Google]
WZZkZ70.jpg
14 KB, 235x380
>>46534746

Tasigur
Sedris
Grand Arbiter Augustin
New Ezuri
>>
>>46535020
You can't dredge unless you have enough cards in library to satisfy the number, trust me I tried. I'll look into ooze though.
>>
>>46535068
You're right, I can't believe that was always the ruling and I never knew. Shows how much I know about Dredge I guess.
>>
File: 1433549714340.png (38 KB, 155x141) Image search: [Google]
1433549714340.png
38 KB, 155x141
>Everyone's faces at the table when I kill someone turn four with Doran + Slagwurm Armor + Priests of Norn
>>
>>46535117
It's alright, the only reason I knew is because I bought the izzet vs golgari duel deck from way back
>>
i remember i last left off at edh trying to make a non lockdown weenie derevi and put in a ton of effects that benefit from twiddling. That was a hanful of years ago, i think shes banned now too. Anything new thats good worth looking at since then?
>>
>>46535131
Ha. I don't think I could even be mad, but I sure would try.
>>
>>46535171
Derevi isn't banned. But she's fucking annoying as hell
>>
>>46535117
>ruling
Nah, it's not really a ruling, it's literally how dredge is worded. You must place N cards from your deck into your library (where N is the dredge number, of course) in order to dredge. If you can't do that (due to lack of cards or any other possible reason), you can't dredge.

If you read the reminder text really closely, it's pretty clear. Not giving you two a hard time, mostly just spelling it out for other, less observant, anons.
>>
>>46535239
>semantics
whatever, you know what I meant
>>
>>46535223

I liked twiddling, the natural evasion and commander tax evasion was icing on the cake
>>
>>46535265
Hey anon, you're a cool dude who can read cards and shit. Like I said, I'm just clarifying for all the fagtrons who can't do those things.

>professional writer
>semantic nitpicking is required
>totally did know what you meant
>sorry
>>
>>46534268
to be fair it is informative, if not too informative of how the deck runs.

>>46534571
are you me? I used to run a daretti and a newzuri and whenever i ran newzuri, niggers would FREAK OUT while when i ran daretti it was "oh anon's running mono red artifacts again, lets let him durdle"
>>
>>46535285
>commander tax evasion
And this is part of the problem. Any counter or removal you use feels useless, because whoever is playing Derevi can just say "whoopsie boopsie, I'll just dump her back out for 4"

The command zone interactions were a fucking terrible idea
>>
File: 34884_200w.jpg (25 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
34884_200w.jpg
25 KB, 200x285
what get rich quick cards can i play other than kodama variations? also, any easy elf generators?
>>
>>46535505
For 6 mana in white green you can have infinite elves in the form of Midnight Guard with Presence of Gond on it.
>>
>>46535475
Removing the tuck rule was the 2nd mistake.
>>
>>46535806

>fixing an unintended mistake was a mistake
>>
>>46535958
It may have existed only because of an oversight but it brought more good than bad in the format.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-56-44.png (870 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-56-44.png
870 KB, 1080x1920
>>46535505
Incoming flood of elves that allow you to play an additional land and a combo that forces other players to pull land back to their hand every time they use it. In essence it could be a green/red mill deck
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-56-55.png (815 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-56-55.png
815 KB, 1080x1920
>>46535505
>>46535505
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-57-35.png (816 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-57-35.png
816 KB, 1080x1920
>>46535505
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-57-43.png (811 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-07-23-57-43.png
811 KB, 1080x1920
>>46535505
>>46535505
Damn post limit
>>
File: ernie prepares.jpg (79 KB, 750x724) Image search: [Google]
ernie prepares.jpg
79 KB, 750x724
>>46534614
The best deckbuilder in my group has already finished his, I have played against it 3 times. The entire playgroup hates if already.

>our faces when he played a pernicious deed on turn 3 and for the rest of the game we were at a stalemate while he grinded out.

Eventually we all conceded so the game would just fucking end, his deck just slowly gained an unbeatable advantage.
>>
>>46528452
here's my list. I have to keep a Ti-83 in my edh bag to keep up with the tokens.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thromok-lord-of-noms/
>>
Need some help /edhg/. Got a problem with god decks. Mainly with purphoros and phenax. What's some good exile spot removal or enchantment exile?
>>
>>46534614

That guy in pour group has already asked me what infused ton animate everyone's lands in my Pharika deck.

It's over bros. It was nice knowing you.
>>
>>46536477
Cabal Therapy.
Target Self.
Name Kokusho The Evening Star.

Dredge Skeletons (or anyone 1 cost creature)
Cabal Therapy
Name Yosei, The Morning Star

Recurring Nightmare
Sac Dredge
Recurring Nightmare back to hand
Kokusho to play, drain 5 life from every player. Gain as much life that was drained this way.

Recurring Nightmare
Sac Kokusho
Recurring Nightmare back to hand
Yosei to play, target player skips next untap step. Tap 5 permanents player owns.
Having 65 life on turn 3 is a way to never get asked to play in a "casual 10 man game" again.

>Their Faces When I waited for all the blue mana to be tapped out
>>
>>46536844
But anon, Recurring Nightmare is baned, desu.
>>
>>46532386
True dickery can only really be achieved by WUB.

Enjoy.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-the-lazy-dick/
>>
>>46536917
That moment when you didn't read "10 man CASUAL game" as in play wtf ever you want.
Some of them were rocking power 9, some were using proxies... Casual
>>
>>46536844
What does that have to do with the post you're responding to? Sounds like you weren't even playing EDH. Are you in the wrong thread?
>>
>>46528306
I have an ally tribal deck. My friends hate it. If anything more than 2 creatures hit my board they start to panic and wipe the field.

Feels nice tho, especially when I living death or rise from the dark realms.

Or Genesis wave for about 12.
>>
>>46537078
Daxos The Returned was my commander for the game. -_- just showing how easy it is to ruin a CASUAL game with the people who do nothing but deckbuild at home.

I usually run a sliver deck for EDH using Hivelord or Overlord as commander.

Go trim your neck beard.
>>
>>46537254
What the fuck does this have anything to do with what you are replying to.
>>
>>46536809

Help please?
>>
>>46537266
What the fuck do your frivolous posts have to do with it? Be sure not to cut yourself on all those edges there junior
>>
File: Mazirek.png (139 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Mazirek.png
139 KB, 223x311
Convince me on why I should run him.

And if you can't, I'll probably build a Ghave deck and be a faggot because I love this card too much to not use it.
>>
>>46537394

two color manabase is easier than 3

also deckbuilding is somewhat easier because you have cardpool 2/3 the size

ghave and mazirek are very comparable, i'd say ghave is more versatile but play whatever you want
>>
>>46537283

are the gods the commanders?

or in the 99?

either way my favorite ways to deal with gods:

Unravel the Aether
Deglamer
Return to Dust
Oblation
Mangara of Corondor
Chaos Warp
Capsize type effects are pretty good against Purphoros because you can respond to a token spell then deal with the tokens later with no damage dealt
>>
>>46537283

oh yeah and cant forget all is dust

very good card in general but in a god-heavy meta it shines
>>
File: pin7.jpg (20 KB, 240x276) Image search: [Google]
pin7.jpg
20 KB, 240x276
>>46528732
>All in alphabetical order except Wolfbriar Elemental
You've triggered my trap card!
>>
I bought 4 Strionic Resonators, 4 Ice Age Swords to Plowshares, and 4 Basalt Monoliths from my local store for 6 dollars total. They had a half off sale on certain singles and the Resonators were definitely mispriced. Also bought 3 Living Deaths for a dollar each.

What are some of your good buys/trades for EDH staples?
>>
File: 1420905085596.jpg (10 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1420905085596.jpg
10 KB, 224x225
>It's a "The players in the pod run bad decks but they're still salty about losing" episode
>>
>>46533072
>people unironically think Eldrazi generals are good
What the fuck?
>>
Serious question here guys. What's a pod?
>>
File: 1365717210819.png (170 KB, 331x319) Image search: [Google]
1365717210819.png
170 KB, 331x319
>>46537138
>Or Genesis wave for about 12.
Oh god.
The only way you could make it better is Riku or Flameshadow conjuring.
>>
>>46537394
>Ghave deck
Do it. Ghave is best commander. He has so much ways to build him, and all of them are extremely fun in actual game.
>>
>>46536844
>the koko puffs
>>
Shit thread

Shit format

Shit board

Shit people
>>
>>46539197
shit post
>>
>>46534013

I have one deck like that (Zegana with merfolk and Krakens) and it can be nice to engage in some battle cruiser magic from time to time, though I have to agree that it's not for everyone and can get boring after a few games. Zegana is probably my least-played deck right now because of it.
>>
>>46534191

My one friend has a no-basics Scion of the Ur-Dragon and thinks that I should pull Wave of Vitriol rather than him replace some of the shittier non-basics with basic lands.

My other friend was in a game where I dropped it and he lost maybe 3 non-basic lands (which we immediately replaced with basics) and went off on a tangent about how all of my decks run MLD now and they aren't fun to play against and that he's not gonna buy cards to catch up with me and maybe he'd even quit the game altogether if I don't cut MLD out of my decks.

It was quite entertaining.
>>
>>46539234
Scion of the Ur-Dragon. I already don't like him. But still if he doesn't have responses to stuff like that he shouldn't be crying about it. When someone pulls lifegain on me, I drop some 8/8s and then Irelia the Warleader and I'm killing them usually faster than they can gain life.
>>
>>46538893
>RoE Kozilek
>Bad
>>
>>46537394
I'm honestly not sure why I still have him in my Meren deck.

Every time I've gotten him out, he's died stupid fast and I have so many better things that are either fat as hell right from the get-go, or have ETB or self-Sacrifice effects.

Also it doesn't work with your sacrifices, and I sacrifice so much more shit than my opponents.
>>
>>46539577
He does work with your Sacs...
>>
>>46535285
>I liked twiddling
Ew
>>46535285
>commander tax evasion was icing on the cake
You are cancer
>>
File: 1390928867544.png (1 MB, 1440x428) Image search: [Google]
1390928867544.png
1 MB, 1440x428
Anyone else have That Guy in their playgroup?

The guy that gets insanely upset when others strike up an alliance to take out his Rule of Law/GAAIV/Ghostly Prison pillowfort?

He also gets mad when you just attack him, with anything.

Fuck I hate playing with That Guy.
>>
>>46539577
>Also it doesn't work with your sacrifices
Yes he does. If you sac as much as you say he'd turn your remaining board into a fucking freight train
>>
>>46539577
>Also it doesn't work with your sacrifices, and I sacrifice so much more shit than my opponents.
nigga you blind
>>
>>46539672
I'm lucky enough not to. I have yet to actually play at an LGS, I just play with friends who don't get overly salty
>>
>>46533219
For whatever reason I figured there would be a lot of casual play there...guess I'm packing Scion
>>
>>46536218
>alright so who here wanted to play a deck that revolves around your commander, like the format was made for?
>are you running tutors out the ass? Oh? You're Gruul colors? That's a shame. Sorry you never get to see your commander again or have fun.

It was an unintended mistake that was unintended because the format's supposed to be casual, and it's supposed to be about building around one card.
Fuck off with your "no, the format is what I want it to be" bullshit. House rule it if you really want.
>>
>>46529649
Deadbridge Chant, definitely.
>>
>>46539785
>autist nexus in the form of a nerd shit convention
>expecting casual play
>>
>>46529649
And Deathreap Ritual.
>>
>>46539234
>tfw people complain about this in my meta too
>tfw my scion deck runs 26 basic lands
>tfw I'm never colorfucked
I don't get why people feel the need to run all nonbasics. Maybe I'm missing out on the glory of reliquary tower or some shit, but every time someone has a magus of the moon or something equally stupid out, I'm just on the side with the monocolor players, jerking it.
Having mostly basics has saved me more than it hurt me.
>>46539252
Why the Scion hate, brother?
>>
>>46531018
Do a theme deck. I brewed a Kresh LOTR theme deck a while back, tons of flavor and it even played well.
>>
>>46540041
>LOTR theme
That sounds interesting, don't suppose you've got a list?
>>
>>46539234
I built my friend's Scion manabase. It's so easy to do it with basics. Load it up with Forests and Mountains, then use land auras to fix the colors.
>>
>>46539672
>not Young Peezy
>>
>>46540062
Long gone when I deleted Cockatrice
>>
>>46539252

The Scion player grumbled but he's already planning on swapping out some lands since I hit him with the wave two games in a row.

It was the Daghatar player that threw a shitfit after losing 4 or 5 nonbasic lands because the basics left him *slightly* mana screwed.

He also throws fits about Lightning Greaves, Sol Ring, counter spells, and blue in general.
>>
File: norin-the-wary.jpg (71 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
norin-the-wary.jpg
71 KB, 480x680
So I've had a dumb shower thought earlier: A deck that, like a typical Norin deck, does a whole bunch of shit when creatures enter the battlefield, but in mardu colors, with payoffs being not just Purphoros and Impact Tremors, but also the soul sisters, the blood artists for sacrificing stuff, a bunch of teysa style cards etc. Anyone know a deck that does this? I brainstormed a few inclusions in here, wish alesha as a commander for the colors that can sometimes bring back dead shit.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/swefswergedsgz/
>>
>>46540858
>Deck title of champions
You have a lot of humans and you're in Mardu, you could shoe in the Angel of Glory's Rise combo from ISD standard
>>
>>46540939
holy shit that is a brilliant idea
>>
>>46529113

Tokens don't go into the graveyard, though, so.. zero beast tokens?
>>
>>46541028
but they do. they cease to exist once they do, but they do go to the raveyard. same with being shuffled into the library for cards like warp world or the great aurora. and fresh meat is one of the few neato effects that doesn't specifically say nontoken creature like caller of the claw does.
>>
File: 1365689230342.gif (602 KB, 318x240) Image search: [Google]
1365689230342.gif
602 KB, 318x240
What's a fun way to run Shattergang Brothers?
>>
>>46539041
a multiplayer game
>>
>>46541464
use ugin's nexus
>>
>>46539234
How can you run a no-basics scion deck???

you are ignoring a lot of the best ramp possible and you are utterly fucked vs wave or blood moon

I run 9 basics and use almost all of them every game that grinds on
>>
>>46541739
Hermit Druid combo.
>>
>>46541776
that is shit tier in a multiplayer commander game
>>
>>46540163
>land auras
Like what? What of those is actually useful in edh?
>>
I've got decks already that i've built for fun or because they seem like they'd be strong. But it feels like I need one WAAC deck because my entire playgroup has one themselves.

Help me piss people off /edh/. Hit me with some really annoying commanders.
>>
>>46542441
land destruction narset

play every Armageddon, raiza's purification, blood moon type effect
>>
R8 me m80s
>>
>>46539871
>Gruul colors can't tutor their commander back up
The problem may be that you're dumb. To be fair though, I perfectly understand your point of view, and your arguments would be perfectly valid in the context in which EDH was born. However, the game has changed. Magic got since filled with legendary creatures that are their own fuel, engine and finisher, and ramping has never been an issue. This results in plenty of decks being able to win through only recasting their commander through multiple removal spells, maybe backed up by one or two other synergy pieces (of any nature, legendary creatures now combo with everything). Then there's flat-out commander tax evasion like our dear sweet shitbird Derevi. This isn't the EDH of olden days when you need X, Y and Z synergy pieces to even make your Commander work, and having it removed was a real setback. Now, there are plenty of commanders on which removal is just completely inefficient. Tucking was the solution. They took that solution away. Games now often revolve around players continually recasting their powerhouse commander, and players are incentivized to run more bombs and less answers because if you can't answer the opponents' commander, might as well drop more bombs. It's shit.

The removal of tuck has changed the format in plenty of subtle and unpleasant ways.
>>
>>46539980
Do you run fetches or a lot of monogreen ramp like Cultivate?

I don't want my deck skewing heavily toward green, so but I want to reliably cast Mortify or my commander when it is important.

I'm not running any triple color cost cards either, but like, I need lands that tap for multiple colors.

I could see myself running 10 basics in a 5 color deck, but more than that? I don't know how I'd do it. I don't even run colorless land.
>>
>>46542511
That's a problem with individual commanders, not tuck.

Tuck hurts the people who run bad decks the most.
>>
>>46542495
>Rakka Mar choice is because Vorthos
Why not one of the Bladewing brothers since they are the legendary ones from Shiv?
>>
>>46542583
not really

how am I meant to get rid of narset now outside of dedicating every turn for the rest of the game on the narset player
>>
>>46542587
Tried em both in an earlier build. Tarox was way too damn weak. Rorix was just one dimensional like Zirilian. Rakka is not only a flavor win, but she also makes tokens as sac fodder or chump blockers.

Plus, why wouldn't I have the sexy shaman lady leading my army of dragons?
>>
>>46542629
Ban Narset.

If a commander is busted, ban it. Don't put in a rule that shits on Narset and the guy playing Anthousa.
>>
>>46542583
I don't know, I guess it's a matter of personal experience, but I personally don't waste tuck spells on shitty commanders, especially not when there's something like a Derevi or a Prossh at the table.

There are plenty of commanders I know I can get rid of through regular removal spells. My opponents aren't going to be excited to recast their Aurelia for 8 or their Zurgo for 9. The Wanderer player, however? Couldn't give less of a shit what the commander tax is at. So guess which one is getting Chaos Warped when I have a Chaos Warp in hand?

If anything, tuck made games more fair, and more fun for casual, weaker decks.
>>
>>46542647

Why not Bladewing the Risen?

>>46542629

Sounds like you need to gitgud
>>
>>46542698
>Let's ban all commanders that are problematic when the opponent can recast them forever.
That'd be a long list, friend.
>>
File: The Wonderful Game of Life.jpg (155 KB, 675x1200) Image search: [Google]
The Wonderful Game of Life.jpg
155 KB, 675x1200
Hey there /tg/, I wanted to know what you guys thought of my deck
If you'd like, I also have a tappedout link
Thanks in advance for any comments

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-wonderful-game-of-life/
>>
>>46542760
I forgot to rotate the picture, sorry
>>
>>46542778
Now I'm confused and just won't post it anymore, sorry about that
>>
>>46542778
you tried...

get a necropotence, improve landbase
>>
>>46542795

I wouldn't worry about it. I have literally never gotten any feedback whatsoever from these threads, they're just circlejerks for tripfags.
>>
>>46542707
Sure, if you are all at the table, but if someone has a Hallowed Burial or Terminus in their deck for when they have to deal with an abusive deck, they aren't gonna avoid casting it just because they in a casual setting.

I ran Hinder, I ran Terminus, I ran Chaos Warp, I ran all kinds of shit to deal with the busted commanders. But for every game where I shat on a dickwad playing one of those decks, there were four or five games where I tucked someone's synergistic, fun, casual commander away. I'd be in situations where I need to get rid of something like a Rosheen Meanderer and now, that players deck, full of X-spells just doesn't feel worth playing.

You could say, don't build around the commander, removal is a thing. But that's the reason we have the command zone in the first place.
>>
>>46542797
The only lands I have on my list to get are Marsh Flats and Hallowed Fountain, anything else, anon?

And I've been debating Necropotence for a little while, still not sure though
>>
>>46542809
>>46542707

Tuck spells no longer affect commanders, they can choose to put it in the command zone instead of in the library.
>>
>>46542809
>But that's the reason we have the command zone in the first place.
Tell that to the worthless pieces of shit that run Oloro because HURR LIFE IN ESPER
>>
>>46542819
the only reason to not get necropotence is if your playgroup cries it is broken too much

best card in black

all of those guildgate or enter tapped gain a life lands are garbage
>>
>>46542721
Well, there you go.

And I understand that even ones that don't break Commander Tax can be frustrating, like a Zegana deck when they manage to ramp a fuckton.

But we need to address the problem of these strategies and commanders directly, rather than rely on an exception that fucks all commanders.
>>
>>46532128
White/Blue fliers and legendary tribal = The Wild Blue Yonder

Almost creatureless Narset (Aurelia the Warleader is the only other creature) = Nearly Narset

Big Black Goodstuff with Ob Nixilis = Ob Nixilis, Throb Dixilis

Xenagod stompy stuff = Divine Revel

Purphoros tokens and etb effects = Hephaestus? Gesundheit!

Daxos the Returned enchantment control = An Enchanted Evening with Daxos
>>
File: RED.png (1 MB, 669x933) Image search: [Google]
RED.png
1 MB, 669x933
RED
>>
>>46542809
>You could say, don't build around the commander, removal is a thing
I could say that if I thought of everything only in the most ridiculous extremes. I don't. I instead choose to say "Build around your commander but make sure your deck can operate without it"

I really feel like there's no excuse for running, say, a Voltron deck with Isamaru as the commander and literal only creature. If that deck gets blown up by a Terminus, then it's just getting what it was asking for.
>>
>>46542830
I know. We're arguing if that was a good decision or a bad decision.

>>46542831
Have they printed a fun Esper General yet? Sydri seems reasonably fun.
>>
>>46542862
but you cant run enchanted evening in Daxos the Returned :^)
>>
>>46542840
All right, I can see the necropotence now

As for the life lands, I greatly, greatly enjoy them. They act as a source of lifegain for the several sources that use it. I also don't have anything in mind which would replace them
>>
>>46542885
>I know. We're arguing if that was a good decision or a bad decision.

Good, because only two colors have access to tuck effects.
>>
>>46542852
Addressing this problem would mean a much longer banlist, a lower health total, and a 1v1 setting. And oh look, we're playing French now.

I have nothing against French, I actually quite like it, but I also enjoy EDH and I wish this format would get its head out of its own ass and realize that there can be a middle-ground between fostering a fun environment and actually building a balanced and reasonable set of rules.
>>
>>46542495
aside from the fact you're clearly autistic, your commander choices are decent
>>
>>46542886

Many groups allow hybrid mana cards in monocolor decks, which is what the design of hybrid is supposed to support.
>>
>>46542885
I tried Sydri, felt kinda lackluster. Esper really isn't for fun stuff, it's either busted af or stomped really easily like Dakkon or Sydri
>>
>>46542901
Two things. That's false, and it's also one of Sheldon's arguments which makes it dumb and false.
>>
>>46542629
dude just run rule of law
>>
>>46542938

Which colors have tuck effects outside blue and white?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.