[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay General, Part VII: Painters of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 1450909223761[1].png (2 MB, 646x913) Image search: [Google]
1450909223761[1].png
2 MB, 646x913
Warhammer Fantasy General, focused on the fluff and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. 1st and 2nd Edition, but discussion on 3rd Edition and the Tabletop is welcomed... ish.

Another thread is yet again about to fall of the board, so I'm starting yet another one. Let's try to not let this one derail.

If you see our resident autist coming back and posting meaningless shitposts even though things have been explained to him for the past five threads, hit the "▶" to the right of his post number and report him.

>Previous threads, some dead.
>>44108067
>>44147420
>>44208707
>>44256831
>>44298674
>>44322869
>>44345924

>I don't have the books for 2nd Ed.
http://khorne.ru/2nd/wfrp_web/

>how does career advancement actually work in 2nd edition?
http://i.imgur.com/8qoQOUl.png
http://i.imgur.com/dOOfPa2.png
http://i.imgur.com/jJN6PT9.jpg

>maps of the old world?
http://i.imgur.com/COthNjY.jpg
http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html

>good sites for extra resources?
http://www.kalevalahammer.com/p/page4.html
http://www.liberfanatica.net/

Outstanding questions:
>how would khornite priests summon daemons without magic?
>what happens if you invite an elf to an orgy?
>best houserules: the continuation.

End Times and Age of Shitmar need not apply. If that's your cup of tea, there's an ongoing thread for beaten housewives with stockholm syndrome elsewhere on the board, no need to shit up this one thread, please.
>>
>>44401164
>I have a question that I want to ask, but I know it's going to be extremely controversial to the Warhammer community, but I have to ask it:
>WFR, WFRP, WHFRP, WRFRP, WRHFRP
>Which is correct?
>I've always assumed WFRP (W.arhammer F.antasy R.ole P.lay) but in my time on this board I've seen all the above versions in reference to it.

I've always used "WHFRP", the TT being "WHFB".

What I'm asking myself is what the hell WRFRP or WRHFRP is supposed to stand for. Where does the "R" between W and H come in?
>>
>>44399246
>So how much is known about Nippon in Warhams?

Extremely little, afaik. Even less than about Ind and Cathay, which is saying a lot.
>>
>>44404352
LONG LIVE THE OLD WORLD
>>
>>44404370

As near as I can figure its:

W.arhammer F.antasy R.oleplay - WFP
W.arhammer F.antasy R.ole P.lay - WFRP
W.ar H.ammer F.antasy R.ole P.lay - WHFRP

The other two I'm assuming are typos. Unless it's meant to be
W.aR H.ammer F.antasy R.ole P.lay - WRHFRP

The only right answer is WFRP, though. Warhammer is one word. Role play is two. It's WFRP and WFB. Warhammer Fantasy Role Play and Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

Do you seriously spell/call it War Hammer?

>>44404352

Blood sacrifices. Make enough sacrifices dedicated to Khorne, something will eventually answer.

You have a bloody good time.
>>
>>44404496
Can I use a bloody orgy to summon a slanasish daemon?
>>
>>44404454
What the fuck is Slanasish?

It depends on what background you use. You could argue that there are chaos gods that are overlaps of others.

Like, a Nurgle/Slaanesh God of STI's, or indulging in disgust. Or a Khorne/Slaanesh mix of bloody orgies or the perfection of warfare.

The idea of only 4 Chaos Gods and nothing else has always seemed irksome to me.
>>
>>44404352
Conventional magic is the refinement of chaos passing trough the mind constrictions of the wizard, a priest can either ask for a favor to creatures already in the listening and with power to come from the other side and/or create a focus of raw energy without it being channeled and utilized by the priests the listening daemons can use.

The difference is that the priest has no real involvement in the supernatural like the wizard: Not unlike the difference between a person dragging another with his own strength and a person convincing the other to come by himself, maybe offering something too.
Of course it's not that easy and I assume even in conventional summoning there's some kind of agreement with the parts, but the on the greater scheme of things this should be it.
>>
>>44404526
>The idea of only 4 Chaos Gods and nothing else has always seemed irksome to me.

Same, the way it is described in the realm of chaos books makes way more sense: Chaos, then the 4, then lots of deities and powerful daemons with varying power levels, each possibly overlapping with the others in some places and each possibly having numerous versions and expressions depending on how you relate to it.
>>
>>44404496
Roleplay isn't more of two words than Warhammer is.
>>
>>44404568
Casting via Prayer and casting via Magic has always been a difference of perspective and approach, rather than mechanics.

You're both dealing with the same core materials, but in one instance you're in the containment room in a biosuit, risking your life. In the other, you're talking to the guy in the biosuit and not risking your life.

Both of which is kinda moot. The old consensus was that you don't summon Khornate daemons. They come to you.
>>
>>44404526
There's obviously some overlap, given that the chaos gods aren't entirely individual, nor represent self-contained areas of the warp. I prefer to think of it as the warp merely gravitating towards similar concepts, where greater concepts end up forming greater entities.

So it's pretty far from black and white.

>The idea of only 4 Chaos Gods and nothing else has always seemed irksome to me.

Yeah, the increased tendency towards this was always shit. Fantasy at least maintained all the other gods, but Fantasy still had a pretty big tendency towards it, in the end.

I prefer to stick to older fluff that makes it clear that there's a ton of different gods and possible concepts-taken-form spilling out of the warp, and how some gods can be aspects of other existing gods (or forces).

Hashut and Malal being notable ones that are likely their own entities, and both Khaine and Ulric potentially being aspects of Khorne, and the Great Horned Rat potentially being an aspect of Nurgle.
>>
File: Cenobite.jpg (20 KB, 364x273) Image search: [Google]
Cenobite.jpg
20 KB, 364x273
>>44404612
Hardly.

Warhammer isn't War Hammer. It's a trademarked name. Warhammer.

Role Playing is two words.

Role.

Playing.

Like, say, a Role Playing Game.

AKA

AN RPG, SON.

A FUCKING RPG.

EVER HEARD OF THOSE?

>>44404526
>Khorne/Slaanesh cross

I now have an excuse to bring these guys in.
>>
>>44404657
Except, y'know, we're not talking about "Role-Playing". We're talking about the game, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Not Warhammer Fantasy: Role-Playing. Not Warhammer Fantasy RPG.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

If your argument for why Warhammer shouldn't be broken up into it's components is valid, the same logic must apply to Roleplay, for the exact same reasons.

Now, since we don't apply that logic, it's broken up into WHFRP for clarity, just like we break it up into WH40k and WHFB, and so on.
>>
File: wfrplogo.gif (68 KB, 400x227) Image search: [Google]
wfrplogo.gif
68 KB, 400x227
>>44404727
>Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Swing and a miss, son. But thanks for playing. Pic related. First edition was Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. WFRP.

Hence why the community traditionally refers to it as WFRP and why WHFRP is wrong.

And why WH40k is generally refered to as just 40k, and the fantasy game is WFB.

Don't be embarrassed. English is a tough language, you'll get it in time.
>>
>>44404727
>>44404753

According to James Wallace, the creative head behind the 1ed of the game when it was produced by Hogshead Publishing - it's WFRP.
>>
File: bbtxolF[1].png (502 KB, 619x813) Image search: [Google]
bbtxolF[1].png
502 KB, 619x813
>>44404753
>First edition was Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. WFRP.

Except, y'know, check the OP.

English isn't really that hard. One would've thought you'd grasped it by now.

>And why WH40k is generally refered to as just 40k, and the fantasy game is WFB.

Keep telling yourself that. If you keep repeating it, it might even become true one day. Until today, I'd never even heard of WHFB being called just WFB, and referencing WH40k as simply "40k" is entirely contextual and colloquial - it by itself would make no sense outside of the discussion, whereas WH40k is always clear.

Also, picture related. It's from the 1st Edition rulebook. The name of the game was always Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The fact that the 1st Edition cover was stylized as "ROLE•PLAY" doesn't really change that.
>>
>>44404807

See

>>44404791

The creator has stated it's WFRP. That's pretty definitive.
>>
>>44404791
1) Source.
2) Argumentum ad Verecundiam.
3) Do you say "Jif" when referring to .gif:s, too?
>>
>>44404819
Even if that would be definitive, which it in no way is, that wouldn't make your argument right. Swing and a miss, son. Swing and a miss.
>>
File: wfrp.jpg (25 KB, 206x263) Image search: [Google]
wfrp.jpg
25 KB, 206x263
>>44404791

It's Wallis, but otherwise you're right.

>>44404807
I'm used to seeing it as WFB and 40k. That's how I've always seen it in White Dwarf.
>>
>>44404835
>I'm used to seeing it as [...] 40k
>I do not understand what contextual and colloquial means, I just enjoy being autistic
>>
>>44404823
>2) Argumentum ad Verecundiam.

Are you calling an argument of authority against what the creator of a piece of work calls his creation?

How do you pronounce Linux?

Oh, and not the anon you're responding to but I literally just googled WFRP and Wallis.

http://ogrecave.com/interviews/jameswallis2.shtml

He seems to alternate between calling it WFRP and Warhammer FRP.

>>44404831

Wait, how can you claim that a creator, the fanbase and the production teams all calling a product by a name doesn't make that the right name?

It's been WFRP since the mid '80s.
>>
>>44404873
>Wait, how can you claim that a creator, the fanbase and the production teams all calling a product by a name doesn't make that the right name?

That's not what I claimed.

>being this fucking autistic
>>
>>44404859
>Just because it's published in the official magazine as WFB, 40k and WFRP doesn't make it so!
>>
>>44404885

You're claiming that the anon was making an appeal to authority. This is an argument in which a proposition is claimed to be true because an esteemed person says it is true. It is a fallacy in that it relies on the person's fame or reputation, rather than on logical arguments or empirical evidence.

So what are you trying to say?

Anon isn't saying we should listen to Wallis, the fans, the community and the publishers because they're famous or in a position of power.

He's saying it because:

1. The creator made the game and named the product.
2. The community adopted the name and used it.
3. The production team used the name when working with the products and naming/labeling them.

So what are you trying to say?
>>
>>44404352
Why is the guy with a hammer having a swastika in his forehead? Is he some kind of Nazi dwarf?
>>
>>44404873
>He seems to alternate between calling it WFRP and Warhammer FRP.

He also doesn't seem to have given it any thought. And yes, it is definitely an appeal to authority, and can be summed up thusly:

*A is an authority on a particular topic
*A says something about that topic
*A is probably correct

Yet as we can see earlier in the thread, the actual arguments that's come up doesn't hold water. The fact that Wallis referred to A or B as this or that is neither here nor there; especially since he's not here to engage in the discussion, and does not seem to have made an argument on the topic - even the source is supposition based on his usage in the article, not a statement of fact.

I realize this might come as a hard blow to you, but you just might have to suck up that your arrogant tone was unwarranted.
>>
>WFRP search results: About 633,000 results (0.33 seconds)
>WHFRP search results: About 22,900 results (0.42 seconds)

I don't know where the WHFRP split started, but it's clearly a new one and in the minority. It doesn't make sense historically, grammatically or socially.
>>
>>44404910
No, I claimed that:

>Even if that would be definitive, which it in no way is, that wouldn't make your argument right. Swing and a miss, son. Swing and a miss.

When the arguments presented were refuted, you changed the argument to a (flimsy) appeal to authority. This appeal to authority was presented as a response to the post (not me) that refuted the previous arguments.

My point being that even if that would be definitive, which it in no way is, it wouldn't make your arguments, which were refuted, a rebuttal to which you offered the appeal to authority, it wouldn't make the arguments right.

And thus a swing and a miss.
>>
>>44404952
>It doesn't make sense historically, grammatically or socially.

Historically, WFRP might make more sense, but grammatically and socially, WHFRP makes a hell of a lot more sense in the interest of consistency and clarity, as explained earlier in the thread.
>>
>>44404352
>>how would khornite priests summon

daemons without magic?

I thought that the Demons summoned themselves to bloody battefields where Khornate warriors were fighting? I didn't think you actually "summoned" them, so to speak.

Did I miss something?

>>44404370

Where do you get the 'H' from?

>>44404380

I want to know more about the Hinterlands of Khuresh.

>>44404518

Absolutely. Just make sure not to break the binding circle.

>>44404654

That's the best way to look at it.
>>
Forgot to link the custom fillable .pdf Character Sheet for 2nd Edition at the creation of the thread.

Enjoy, autists.

You faggots will argue over anything.
>>
>>44404973
>but grammatically and socially, WHFRP

Where is that explained? In >>44404807 ?

Because WFRP is a lot clear than WHFRP. Mainly because it's the proper term for it, and Warhammer is one word.

>>44404957

Wait, so did you just attack Anons. argument tone to discredit his statement without debating the topic itself?

Isn't that a Strawman argument?
>>
>>44404992
>You faggots will argue over anything.

WFRP has been out since the mid '80s. Pretty much everything worth talking about has been. Now it's really only worth it for the occasional story or to watch people be idiots.

And seriously, you go for that WHFRP shit too?
>>
>>44404991
>I thought that the Demons summoned themselves to bloody battefields where Khornate warriors were fighting? I didn't think you actually "summoned" them, so to speak.

Well, possibly. I was imagining blood rites to summon them, though. I mean, there are ways to enter pacts with daemons and there are summoning rituals, so while khornite daemons definitely show up at cultist battlefields and whatnot, I'd expect them to be summonable, too.

>Where do you get the 'H' from?
Hammer. Just like get the P from Play. Warhammer Roleplay. Look further up in the thread. Please don't be obtuse on principle.

>I want to know more about the Hinterlands of Khuresh.
Me too. Khuresh is way too much of a black hole, too, and now we'll likely never see it filled with anything.

>Absolutely. Just make sure not to break the binding circle.
But you'd presumably have to do more than just having an orgy. It would probably involve some kind of ritual, I'd say.

>Did I miss something?

It was a question from the end of the last thread and I was short on outstanding questions, what can I say?
>>
>>44405011
>Warhammer is one word
So is roleplay. If your argument for why Warhammer shouldn't be broken up into it's components is valid, the same logic must apply to Roleplay, for the exact same reasons.

Now, since we don't apply that logic, it's broken up into WHFRP for clarity, just like we break it up into WH40k and WHFB, and so on.
>>
>>44405033
>so while khornite daemons definitely show up at cultist battlefields and whatnot, I'd expect them to be summonable, too

Hmm...yeah, that makes solid sense. Either way, I imagine a lot of bloodshed is involved.

>Please don't be obtuse on principle.
I seriously didn't click on that. When people starting arguing grammar I glazed out. Eh, call it what you want. WHFRP doesn't make sense to me, but if it floats your boat roll with it. I mean, we call it a Role Playing Game (RPG) and not just a Roleplaying Game (RG). But then, I grew up in the 80s when WFRP came out, so I've only ever really been exposed to what White Dwarf and Hogshead called it.

>Me too. Khuresh is way too much of a black hole, too, and now we'll likely never see it filled with anything.

Apparently all GW has ever released on the place is the name and location.

>It would probably involve some kind of ritual, I'd say.

Ritualised Orgy? Oh - did you ever play UA? Unknown Armies had a great example of ritualised sexualisation with the worshippers of the Naked Goddess. Was an interesting take on the idea.

In short - acting out a scripted orgy. Everything has to be performed in exactly the same manner, every time. So you get these circumstances that should be all about passion and going with the flow, but they are played out with clinical detachment and ruthless precision for fear of fucking up and destroying themselves.
>>
>>44404591

>each possibly having numerous versions and expressions depending on how you relate to it.

I don't see how this is anything more than in universe thing. It doesn't matter how many names you give or how you depict him, Khorne is still Khorne.

And it's not so much the other entities don't exist as the Chaos gods are the biggest fish around and have the most interaction with the world, meaning they're going to get the most focus.

The Great Horned Rat only bothers with the Skaven, Hashut only bothers with Chaos Dwarfs, only Dwarfs bother with the Dwarf pantheon, only Elves bother with the Elf pantheon, only Tomb Kings bother with the Nehekharan pantheon, only humans of the Old World bother with their respective gods.

The Chaos gods actively try to recruit new worshipers, have their own daemons, and have a stranglehold on the Beastmen.
>>
>>44405049
>Now, since we don't apply that logic, it's broken up into WHFRP for clarity,

But that's illogical.

We don't call it WFRP because it's a logical break down from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. We call it WFRP for the same reason we call it Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It's the name of the system.

The creators named it WFRP. Changing the name because you don't think it's logical isn't doing anything for clarity. It's just confusing and makes people think you're either misspelling WFRP or you're referring to something else.

If your group refers to it as WHFRP, then more power to you. But the internet community as a majority uses WFRP.
>>
>>44401164
>I have a question that I want to ask, but I know it's going to be extremely controversial to the Warhammer community, but I have to ask it:
>extremely controversial

HE FUCKING KNEW.
>>
>>44405084

Eh, depends on how you choose to run your game. There's no right or wrong answer. Whatever suits the needs of your GM best is the way to go.
>>
>>44404952

Heh.

>Google WHFRP
>Did you mean 'WFRP'?
>People argue that WHFRP has more clarity.
>>
Here's a question for the group:

What has been the most important publication for WFRP over any of it's editions for you?

And I mean beyond just the core rulebooks. What single book as been the most influential to your experience with the game?
>>
>>44405177
I don't give much of a damn because I'm over on the 40K side of GW's tit, but I'd say it is more consistent with 40k to use WHFRP. I don't think any are particularly clear because I have to think about it every time I see any of them.
>>
>>44405207
Gotrek and Felix
>>
>>44405230
>more consistent with 40k to use WHFRP

How so?

The more I think about it an look at the timing, it seems like anyone who started by playing 1ed in the 80s or 90s calls it WFRP, and anyone who started with 2 or 3ed in 2000+ tends to be a mix of either WFRP or WHFRP.

I suppose it doesn't help that neither GW, Hogshead or Fantasy Flight Games ever use WHFRP when they're talking about WFRP though.
>>
>>44405207

Shadows Over Bogenhafen.
>>
>>44405238
Which of the books do you think was the most influential to you?
>>
>>44405267
Don't think too hard about it. I say that simply because:
WH40k

Both should be the same, from a marketing standpoint, for brand identity. Doesn't matter if it's a W or a WH. My preference is for the WH because as I said, I'm a WH40k guy.
>>
>>44405108
>We don't call it WFRP because it's a logical break down from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. We call it WFRP for the same reason we call it Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It's the name of the system.

Except it's not? The name of the system is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. WHFRP is an abbreviation, not a name.

>The creators named it WFRP.

Source. Because I call bullshit.

>Changing the name because you don't think it's logical isn't doing anything for clarity.

Nobody is trying to change the name.

>If your group refers to it as WHFRP, then more power to you. But the internet community as a majority uses WFRP.

Argumentum ad populum.

Also, I call BS on that too. It's guesswork at best, unless you've taken a survey from the people that's aware of the question and have given it thought.
>>
>>44405311
Same. Coming from WH40k, it just became natural to refer to Warhammer Fantasy Battle as WHFB and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay as WHFRP.

And coming from that, it also makes a lot more sense that Warhammer becomes WH and Roleplay becomes RP. If you're going to apply a logic to abbreviation (or any writing, really), consistency is pretty much the most important thing there is.
>>
>>44405360

Google is your friend.
>>
>>44405021
>And seriously, you go for that WHFRP shit too?

Just makes more sense to me. I didn't grow up with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, I'm actually extremely new. I've always preferred Warhammer Fantasy over Warhammer 40k, but ultimately, I've been exposed A LOT more to the latter, and coming from there, "WH40k" is the norm, so Warhammer Fantasy becomes WHF, and applying the same logic to "Roleplay", it becomes WHFRP.

And like 90% of anything I know anything about is 2nd Edition. Ultimately I really don't care.

>Ritualised Orgy? Oh - did you ever play UA? Unknown Armies had a great example of ritualised sexualisation with the worshippers of the Naked Goddess. Was an interesting take on the idea.
>In short - acting out a scripted orgy. Everything has to be performed in exactly the same manner, every time. So you get these circumstances that should be all about passion and going with the flow, but they are played out with clinical detachment and ruthless precision for fear of fucking up and destroying themselves.

That sounds like a textbook Slaaneshi ritual. I enjoy interpreting uncommon foundations for the Chaos Gods, but if we're going for the sexology angle, that sounds pretty fucking (no pun intended) spot on (also no pun intended).
>>
>>44405360
>Source. Because I call bullshit.

Dude, google it. It's always been WFRP. The only people who call it WHFRP are those that come from 40k and move over to WFB. Like >>44405378

Interestingly enough, it actually goes the same for the table top games too. If you go from 40k to Fantasy, you tend to call it WHFB, but if you go from fantasy to 40k it's WFB.

Either way, I don't see why it's caused such a huge argument. All the online stores and supplies list it as WFRP. Hogshead, Green Ronin (while they had it), FFG. They abbreviate it to WFRP.

In the end, it doesn't matter. You're all referring to the same thing.

This is literally the most retarded argument I've ever seen people have, and I have watched actual retards argue.
>>
>>44405450
>That sounds like a textbook Slaaneshi ritual. I enjoy interpreting uncommon foundations for the Chaos Gods, but if we're going for the sexology angle, that sounds pretty fucking (no pun intended) spot on (also no pun intended)

When I use Slaanesh, I tend to go with either the Cenobite or Naked Goddess route. I've had a lot of exposure to both, and it's easy to turn players expectations of Slaanesh on their head when you take that approach.

For Nurgle, I like throwing the archetype of The Sculptor at them. I tend to focus on playing up Nurgle as the Unchanging and stagnating, prompting new life at the cost of old death.

For Tzeentch I use the Optimistic Orphan and for Khorne my go-to is PTSD Veterans locked in a forever war.
>>
>>44405458
>literally most retarded argument
Welp, it's GW's fault and proof that they're shit at any kind of consistency. They can't even abbreviate correctly (again, doesn't matter if W or WH, all products should use the same).
and some people still expect them to produce a balanced game
>>
>>44405499
GW haven't been the driving force behind WFRP in...fuck, ever I think.

The roleplaying game has always been handled by an outside party, IIRC. GW holds the license only when they're between publishing houses.
>>
>>44405526

They were behind the first edition and had editorial control in the second.
>>
>>44405360
Roleplaying games are abbreviated rpg. Warhammer is never abbreviated. It is a combination of those two things. The warhammer fantasy rpg. The w f rpg.
>>
>>44405568
>Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay was first published in 1986 by Games Workshop
>Warhammer 40,000 was created by Rick Priestley in 1987

Huh.

I think that just answered the WFRP/WHFRP question. When WFRP came out, there was no 40k. They didn't need to make a distinction or keep it consistent. It was 40k being called WH40k that was the inconsistency.

Huh. There you go.
>>
>>44405526
Kinda but not really. Yeah, I know the history of the systems, but when you work on someone else's IP like that, the owner company gives you a set of guidelines and conventions for using the IP. This has been in GWs control for a very long time, arguably the only bit that's still under their control.

Also, reply right above mine.
>>
>>44405614
>A new challenger has entered the ring.
>>
>>44405620
>It was 40k being called WH40k that was the inconsistency.
No one has said this wasn't the case.

In any event, the fact is that they were inconsistent at a point they should have been consistent.
>>
I think the sad part is that there are people genuinely trying to raise interesting points about WFRP and discuss it in this thread, but people are too preoccupied arguing over meaningless grammar to contribute.
>>
In all honest, if I were to jump into the WFRP world right now, what system would be the best for someone who hasn't played any of it before and whose tabletop gaming is limited to D&D, board games out the ass, the Apocalypse world games, and a splattering of Fate and Savage Worlds?
>>
>>44405780

Hmm...I'd recommend going with the core system. A chunk of the aesthetic of the setting comes from how the mechanics of the game plays out. If you're willing to learn it, it would probably do you a world of good.

If not, stick with something you know that emphasises high mortality and gritty combat.
>>
>>44405614
>Roleplaying games are abbreviated rpg.
By which you mean Role-Playing Games.

We're not talking about "Role-Playing Games", we're talking about the name Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. If you abbreviate Roleplay, there is no reason you wouldn't abbreviate Warhammer.

Again, be consistent.
>>
>>44405780

3rd edition.

It was a different beast of a game and it had its share of flaws, but it was absolutely the easiest edition for someone to get into with the way it was set-up.

3rd edition of WHFRP is like 4th edition D&D, it was a different game that alienated older edition players pretty badly, but for all the shit I could give 4th edition it was pretty damn simple to run and play even with it faults. Same for 3rd edition WHFRP. Some mechanics were pretty stupid and never fleshed out, but the core of the game was well done and pretty simple to grasp for newbies.

Traditional RPG gamers hated it because it wasn't crunchy at all and was way more narrative focused. I get that, but it also moved the combat along pretty quickly and encouraged team work a lot with party focus being a big deal.
>>
>>44405780
WHFRP2. That is, Second Edition.

First Edition seems to have some really good points to it, but it's dated in pretty much every sense of the word, so I think that it'd be like hitting yourself in the face with a brick.

Second Edition has OEF PDF:s for all the major books, but the editing is absolute shit, and the final publications by Fantasy Flight Games (the .pdf:s) are actually reprints of the first release(s), and there's no Errata, so there's bound to be issues.

Hence the reason the issue of Advancement, something utterly fundamental to the game, is settled in the OP - because the books don't make it clear, and there's constant arguments regarding it, in various places online.

Third Edition has no relation to the previous two editions whatsoever, and is basically an abortion that nobody ever wanted or asked for. The books have some good art, though.
>>
>>44405847
While 3rd Edition is indeed "easier to get into", it's also shit. So the question becomes if you want something that is shit but easy to get into, or something marginally harder to get into, but that isn't shit.
>>
>>44405828

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/role%E2%80%93play

Roleplay isn't a word, dude. It's role play.

Warhammer get's a pass because it's a noun. It's the settings name.

But the game is Warhammer Fantasy Role Play.
>>
File: wfrppreview1_lrg[1].jpg (260 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
wfrppreview1_lrg[1].jpg
260 KB, 1024x576
>>44405847
>muh board game
>>
>>44405310
I preferred the first trilogy where it's mostly vignettes (because it's mostly just collected stories that were published in WD)...but that's also before Felix becomes a combat God and Gotrek is more brooding/surly as befitting a slayer...not the fake grumpy uncle he becomes later on.
>>
>>44405905
>Roleplay isn't a word, dude. It's role play.

That's just it, dingus. It's not. It's part of the name, just like Warhammer.

>>44405905
>But the game is Warhammer Fantasy Role Play.

No. The game is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. For fucks sake, this was settled over an hour ago further up in the thread.
>>
>>44405905
>Warhammer get's a pass because it's a noun. It's the settings name.

Warhammer gets no more of a pass than Roleplay does. Why is this so hard to grasp? If Roleplay is RP, Warhammer is WH.
>>
File: 1447852276271.gif (776 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
1447852276271.gif
776 KB, 500x273
>>44405905

...wut

Wait, what?

Huh.

According to Oxford, Merriam and Webster it's Role-Play. Roleplay really isn't a word.

My whole life is a lie.
>>
>>44405893

>3rd edition is shit

I absolutely disagree.

It had its flaws, to be sure (every single RPG does), but it was a damn fine game in plenty of ways. The biggest bitch people have is that it most definitely was not a refined version of 2nd edition and instead was a drastic redesign from the ground up. I can understand someone not liking it if they were just expecting a revised 2nd edition with a little more added to it, but when played for what it was, a completely new role-playing system for the old world, it was a great game.

I completely understand older fans not liking it, I can't stress that enough, but objectively it was not a shit game.
>>
>>44405931
>That's just it, dingus. It's not. It's part of the name, just like Warhammer.

If you make that argument, you have to accept WFRP is correct because the same people who named it Warhammer Fantasy Role Play also named it WFRP. You don't get it both ways.

>>44405956

Because Warhammer is one word and Role Play is two.

Here - do me a favour. Google WHFRP and tell me what Google automatically corrects it too.

Or better yet, go on FFG's website and see what they abbreviate it to.

Wait, here, let me:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/search/?q=wfrp

>The WFRP dice supplement pack
>WFRP toolkit
>Jay Little's WFRP seminars

Well look at that, anon.

Holy shit.

It's WFRP.

WHO KNEW?!

HOW COULD WE EVER HAVE KNOWN?!
>>
>>44405957
>not having in-browser spellcheck.

Neither Warhammer nor Roleplay are real words. Never were. You usually write it out as Role-play and War-hammer.

Not being a native speaker, I've become so brainwashed at this point by "Warhammer" that it looks odd as hell seeing it written like it's supposed to be written.

Just look at how common "Roleplaying Games" are. Roleplaying isn't a word either. It's Role-Playing Game; hence why it's abbreviated RPG.

"Warhammer" and "Roleplay" are just names in the context, but the abbreviations used call upon the proper grammar, WH and RP.
>>
>>44405915

Amazingly enough, breaking things down into a bunch of different components that are easily given out and referenced without flipping through a book is probably one of the better ideas I have seen in roleplaying games and I wish more people would copy that idea.

What can my character do?
>looks at cards in front of them
Oh yeah. I almost forgot about X ability that can be really useful in this particular situation.

Everyone knew what was going on clearly and at a glance without having to dominate a table with minis and shit too.
>>
>>44406001

Warhammer is a noun. Roleplay is an abbreviation adopted by communities. It should be Role Play.

If you'll notice, GW has 'Warhammer' Trademarked, but not 'Roleplay'.

Additionally, they also have 'WFRP' trademarked. So they'll probably sue us over this argument.
>>
>>44405915
There was a rerelease that discarded the boardgame elements brah
>>
>>44406000
>the same people who named it Warhammer Fantasy Role Play also named it WFRP.

Nope. It's named Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. This was settled earlier, stop trying to rehash failed arguments.
>>
>>44406012
But.

That's what character sheets are for.

Like.

What?
>>
>>44406044

Nope, it's WFRP. If you have any proof to the contrary, please present it.
>>
>All this shit posting is from those end time/AoS fags from earlier trying to do the same thing they did to the old Warhammer Fantasy Generals.

It all makes sense.
>>
>>44406015
>Roleplay is an abbreviation adopted by communities.
No, it's actually the name of the game. Just check the WHFRP 1st Ed. rulebook, as referenced earlier in the thread.

>GW has 'Warhammer' Trademarked, but not 'Roleplay'
>implying you must trademark a name in order for it to be a name or part of a name
>implying they could trademark "roleplay" if they wanted to.

Top kek, anon. Top kek.
>>
>>44406059
And there were character sheets that also displayed that information.

Different anon btw.
>>
>>44406079

Nope, it's WFRP.
>>
>>44406059

>Character sheets

You write down the basic idea of shit on a character sheet instead of its full description or maybe just its name and page reference from the rulebook it is out of.

The cards eliminated that hassel of page flipping and shit right off the gate. Think of it like how people who main mages in D&D ususually have a smartphone with all the spells on them so they can bring them up at a moment for a description instead of dedicating space to it on a character sheet.

The card system made things play faster without a lot of rule discussion at the table and page turning and kept the action moving forward. That was the idea and it fucking worked.

Like I mentioned earlier, just because it was different doesn't mean it was bad. The components really sped the game up quite a bit.
>>
File: 3rFBBak[1].png (675 KB, 1705x448) Image search: [Google]
3rFBBak[1].png
675 KB, 1705x448
>>44406015
>If you'll notice, GW has 'Warhammer' Trademarked, but not 'Roleplay'.

That's just from WHFRP 2nd Edition Core Rulebook, but if you want to be smacked even harder I can pull the thingomathing from the 1st Edition rulebook too.
>>
>>44406079

https://trademarks.justia.com/775/81/roleplay-77581568.html

Actually, ROLEPLAY and ROLE PLAY is a trademarked term.
>>
>>44406061
>Nope, it's WFRP. If you have any proof to the contrary, please present it.

It already was presented. Are you literally this autistic?

>>44406092
>if I just spam the same link often enough maybe it will become true and not just be another baseless appeal to authority!
>genius!
>>
>>44406103

>Trademarking broad terms

I hate the legal system. That's like when Marvel had the word Zombie trademarked for a long time.
>>
MadAlfed calls it WFRP and he's basically a god to the game so it is indeed WFRP

/Thread Desu Sempai
>>
>>44406096

I think Anon meant the word roleplay on it's own, but >>44406103 has pointed out it's trademarked.

That said, anon is right. It's WFRP.

>>
>>44406103
1) Good luck holding onto that if there's a case.
2) Someone contact them and tell them that Fantasy Flight Games is infringing.
>>
>>44406110

He'll keep spamming it unless you just acknowledge you're wrong. Holy shit, just nod and smile and move away.

And shit son, saying that because Roleplay is abbreviated to RP that means Warhammer has to be abbreviated to WH isn't any sort of proof. You could say it should be abbreviated to WR for all the sense that makes.
>>
>>44406128
>I think Anon meant the word roleplay on it's own.

But with that logic, it doesn't matter either way; then Warhammer should not be judged on it's own at all, but as part of "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay" as a whole. Either all words count on it's own as part of the name, or the entire name counts on it's own.

>>44406122
>appeal to authority
MadAlfred also writes the entire thing out as Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay, which is just retarded. But that's neither here or there because it doesn't matter to the argument.
>>
>>44406176

Why, in your opinion, is the FACT that all the producers, distributors and creators of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay content abbreviate it to WFRP not matter?
>>
>>44406153
>He'll keep spamming it unless you just acknowledge you're wrong
Well that's just too bad, because unless there's something suggesting I am, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

>And shit son, saying that because Roleplay is abbreviated to RP that means Warhammer has to be abbreviated to WH isn't any sort of proof.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you follow the same logic, you have to be consistent. It's not rocket science.

You could argue that it's supposed to be WFR or WHFRP, but WFRP is pretty hard to pull off with any semblance of logic to it in relation to the name of the game.

>You could say it should be abbreviated to WR for all the sense that makes.

I still have no idea how anyone came up with WRFRP or WRHFRP.
>>
>>44406190
>Why, in your opinion, is the FACT that all the producers, distributors and creators of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay content abbreviate it to WFRP not matter?

I think you need to take another look at that sentence. English is hard if you're not from the western world.
>>
>>44406215
>WRFRP or WRHFRP.

I think it's WaRHammer FRP.

Which makes as much sense as WarHammer.

Especially given everyone who prints the stuff and sells it brands it as WFRP.

Seriously, what's your answer to >>44406190
?

It's fine to call it WHFRP, but you have to accept you're in the wrong for doing it. I can start calling Dungeons and Dragons %&%, it doesn't matter what sort of argument I make for using the term, it won't make it any less wrong.
>>
ITT: A lot of people that actually calls .gif-files "Jif". Or hypocrites.
>>
>>44406234

Answer the question.
>>
Sup /tg/. I'm playing a apprentice Wizard and I'm wondering what lore I should get into...I'm leaning towards heaven lore or death...what should I do?
>>
>>44406259

There's a difference between pronunciation and flat out spelling. No-one calls it the .jif, regardless of how they pronounce it.
>>
>>44406252
>I think it's WaRHammer FRP.
>Which makes as much sense as WarHammer.
How so? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Why would be abbreviate something in the middle of a name? Total strawman and false equivalency.

>Seriously, what's your answer to 44406190?

Nothing, because the sentence makes no sense.

>It's fine to call it WHFRP, but you have to accept you're in the wrong for doing it.

Except I'm not, as evidenced by your complete lack of arguments.

>I can start calling Dungeons and Dragons %&%, it doesn't matter what sort of argument I make for using the term, it won't make it any less wrong.

Yes, that would be deeply wrong, because it carries no relation to Dungeons & Dragons, nor is it an abbreviation.

You're free to do so, but it'd definitely be wrong. It'd be nonsense.
>>
>>44406273
Death, but play him as Gomez from the addams family
>>
>>44406268
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
>>
My best house rule is to make it so fire doesn't take two terns to light you on fire.
>>
Guys its just called dungeons and dragons
>>
>>44406283
>There's a difference between pronunciation and flat out spelling. No-one calls it the .jif, regardless of how they pronounce it.

The point being that the creator definitely intended it to be pronounced Jif. By the logic offered by a lot of people in the thread, they should call it Jif because the creator called it that at some point.
>>
>>44406297
>How so? That makes no sense whatsoever.
>Why would be abbreviate something in the middle of a name?

Now you're thinking. The H in Warhammer is actually further into the middle of the name than the R is.

>Nothing, because the sentence makes no sense.

Are you stoned? He is asking you why you think WHFRP is correct when the people who make and produce the game sell it under the abbreviation of WFRP.

Check the link he keeps posting.

>Except I'm not, as evidenced by your complete lack of arguments.
>Nothing, because the sentence makes no sense.

Holy shit, some next level trolling right there.

Here - I'll make his question as simple as I can for you.

Q: Why do you call it WHFRP when the people who sell you the game sell it as WFRP?

For evidence of this, please see https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/search/?q=wfrp and note that all the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay related products are abbreviated to WFRP.

Are you stating categorically that the people who are creating, producing and selling this intellectual property are calling it by the wrong abbreviation?
>>
>>44406319
>My best house rule is to make it so fire doesn't take two terns to light you on fire.

That sounds like a horrifying house rule, when dealing with Bright Wizards. Like. Damn.

>>44406273
>Sup /tg/. I'm playing a apprentice Wizard and I'm wondering what lore I should get into...I'm leaning towards heaven lore or death...what should I do?

Personally... I'd encourage you to make that decision yourself. It really comes down to what you want to play, as they can be radically different in appeal.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Lore of Death, as you can play a legit pseudo-necromancer, but you must be aware that you are not actually a necromancer at all, but quite the opposite - Amethyst Wizards loathe the undead and necromancers, and have a lot in common with the Church of Morr.

Celestial Wizards, on the other hand, you could very much pull of the whole "stargazer"- and "seer"-spiel, whatwith ominous predictions and weather-wizardry.

There's no right or wrong answer. The best advice I can give you is to read through their respective sections in Realms of Sorcery. They're not big, but they're full of interesting info about the various Colleges.
>>
>>44406323

The difference is .gif is how that file format is labelled. It's understandable why people would call it GIF and not JIF. You can see it. It's written down.

It's like Tzeentch. You see the word written down, but unless you've had prior exposure to it you could interpret it's pronunciation in a few different ways.

This clashes with the idea of WFRP/WHFRP because it's always been written as WFRP. Games Workshop, Hogshead, Green Ronin, FFG. They all abbreviated it to WFRP. They named it, and the players were all exposed to the correct writing of that abbreviation.

It's like if you introduced yourself to some as John pronounced 'Joe-N', but they refused to call you that and said 'No. Your name is John so I am going to call you John.'

It's not being correct. It's being a cunt.
>>
>>44406364
>when dealing with Bright Wizards. Like. Damn.

Here's a question for the group: How often do you actually have to deal with wizards?

Like, my group only runs into them sporadically and we've only ever had a few players who reached anywhere above MP 2.

How often do you deal with them?
>>
>>44406401

By having my PC pin them with some heresy and sell them to the witch hunters for a fat bounty, mostly. Greedy, prideful cunts.
>>
>>44406340
>Now you're thinking. The H in Warhammer is actually further into the middle of the name than the R is.

It has nothing to do with position or relative placement of letters. The Warhammer part of the name consists of two words; War and Hammer, in the same manner Roleplay consists of two words, Role and Play.

If you abbreviate Roleplay into RP, there is absolutely no reason not to abbreviate Warhammer into WH.

And abbreviating Warhammer into WR is complete nonsense.

>Are you stoned? He is asking you why you think WHFRP is correct when the people who make and produce the game sell it under the abbreviation of WFRP.

Then that's what he should've written. Look at that sentence. It's a fucking train wreck.

>Why, in your opinion, is the FACT that all the producers, distributors and creators of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay content abbreviate it to WFRP not matter?
>The fact that all [...] abbreviate it to WFRP not matter?

How fucking stoned do you have to be to fuck that sentence up?

>Q: Why do you call it WHFRP when the people who sell you the game sell it as WFRP?
They don't, they sell it as Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and happen to abbreviate it to WFRP.

Stating that this means that it's correct is either argumentum ad verecundiam or argumentum ad populum. Either way, doesn't matter.

The fact that more people make a mistake does not make the mistake right. WFRP makes no sense - it's either WHFRP, or WFR, the latter which would be unclear as fuck, which is why we stick to WHFRP for clarity and consistency.
>>
>>44406384
>still confusing abbreviations of names with actual names

Wait, let me get some popcorn, this is some hilarious levels of retardation at play, Le-A.
>>
>>44406340
>if someone makes a mistake for long enough we should all make the same mistake consistently and defend it with vigour whether it makes sense or not.

k.

>>44406401
>Here's a question for the group: How often do you actually have to deal with wizards?
>Like, my group only runs into them sporadically and we've only ever had a few players who reached anywhere above MP 2.
>How often do you deal with them?

Extremely rarely, honestly, or relatively speaking, anyway. When I said deal with Bright Wizards, I was mostly thinking from a player's perspective.
>>
>>44406340
Q: Can you make a logic-based argument concerning the validity of WFRP as an abbreviation, without argumentation fallacies?
>>
File: skaven enters the southlands.jpg (89 KB, 1092x437) Image search: [Google]
skaven enters the southlands.jpg
89 KB, 1092x437
What the fuck is going on in this thread?
>>
>>44406493
Citing falacies does not an argument make.
>>
File: 9x94HYO.jpg (93 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
9x94HYO.jpg
93 KB, 640x360
>>44406493
>>
File: YPn0aac.jpg (46 KB, 298x412) Image search: [Google]
YPn0aac.jpg
46 KB, 298x412
>>44406493
The ref has a lot for you.
>>
>>44406967
>facts

They will be considered when there are any.
>>
File: 0zC7gQw.jpg (43 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
0zC7gQw.jpg
43 KB, 448x252
>>44406995
>>
>>44406990
>Attacked the opposition's grammar or spelling instead of their argument.

Nobody did that. The entire argument is about how something is supposed to be abbreviated, which has nothing to do with grammar.

If you're referring to the fucked-up sentence, that wasn't an attack on the grammar - if you have an argument, make that argument, but don't expect other people to just sorta guess at what you mean, and when they point out that they have no idea what you're trying to say, claim that they're attacking your grammar.
>>
File: SDeE9pE.jpg (36 KB, 625x353) Image search: [Google]
SDeE9pE.jpg
36 KB, 625x353
>>44406995
And
>>
File: XrJefCu.jpg (50 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
XrJefCu.jpg
50 KB, 400x400
>>44406995
Also
>>
>>44407028
>has no idea what begging the question means

Sure brah, just keep telling yourself that. The only "fact" presented so far has been argumentum ad populum and appeals to authority.

If you had anything other than fallacies and shitty memes, you would've presented it by now.
>>
>>44407042
>moving the goal post
>offense successfully proved their point

None of those things are true. The goal post has not been moved, nor have the offense successfully proved their point.

>>44407053
>continuum fallacy

You.. you have no idea what half of these even mean, do you? It is not unreasonable to require a logical argument to be made, nor have the goalpost been moved.
>>
>>44406704
I think it's just our resident autist shitting the place up with dank maymays.
>>
File: D04Rnjt.jpg (51 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
D04Rnjt.jpg
51 KB, 480x360
>>44407085
See >>44407053

The abbreviation used in all warhammer fantasy roleplay products is wfrp. It is also the corporate abbreviation.
>>
Why are these threads perpetual skub and butthurt zones?
>>
>>44407115
Because drake fire couldn't melt steal beams as it moved before two terns.
>>
>>44407115
Because massive, massive autism. Probably going to stop making new threads, on account of a returning autist or two simply not being banned.

/tg/ has apparently gone from worst mods to no mods.
>>
>>44407176
I want to have a character named Steel Beams now.

Just for this purpose.
>>
>>44407106
>The abbreviation used in all warhammer fantasy roleplay products is wfrp.
Which Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay product uses WFRP as an abbreviation itself?

>It is also the corporate abbreviation.
First, no evidence of this has been presented, second, doesn't matter, for reasons explained.

>Why are these threads perpetual skub and butthurt zones?

Because for some reason, WHFRP attracts the worst autists, and at least one has taken a shining to this series of threads, returning ad nauseum to shitpost for no apparent reason other than to ruin good threads.
>>
So how are your games of WFRP going /tg/? We just played last night. Here our group:

Nipponese Champion: Master swordsman, 5 attacks per turn, carries a katana and a dwarven made magical sword
Dwarven Runesmith: The most smug and arrogant bastard you will ever meet. Spent the first 30 minutes of the session insulting the Nippon's katana for being shit. In a continuous state of being partially drunk. Almost was one shotted by the first attack in the game. Loves to pick on the elf.
High Elf Scout: Has a sense of "I'm better than everyone here" despite not having a job. Has a magical bow of unlimited arrows. Constantly arguing with the dwarf without actually saying anything.
Ice Witch: Totally not Crystal Maiden. Is the richest in the party. In direct correspondence with the Ice Queen. Has a magic staff that always makes it Kislevan winter for her spells. Has a magic necklace of regeneration. Constantly walking around freezing things with her aura which the dwarf eats. Uses a lot of slip and slide magic. Took down an undead giant almost with a single shot. Employs the entire party. Arguably the scariest member of the party when going all out.
>>
>>44407701
Don't have one yet. I tried starting up one with my roommate and his girlfriend, but they antagonized each other to levels I haven't seen before in a game so I ended it. Now I'm groupless again.
>>
File: goon.jpg (12 KB, 320x296) Image search: [Google]
goon.jpg
12 KB, 320x296
>>44407739
>>
>>44407753
It basically started when their characters first met. One pushed the other in a river, the other pushed back so he fell into a group of thugs and got his ass beat. Then after deciding to team up after being robbed by the same halfling, the girl knocked out the guy and tied him up, then refused to let him go. They kept fighting like that until I decided to call for a break for the night and we haven't picked it up since. This was three months ago.
>>
>>44407264
SHUT UP

>>44407106
SHUT UP
>>
>>44407701
Damn, for how long has that game been going on to reach those levels of super-saiyan-ness?
>>
>>44408210
Just started. GM gave us 1000 XP to start.
>>
>>44408221
That's only ten advances.
>>
>>44408243
Gave an extra 500 XP if you went full random rolls. Straight down the line and all. Everyone but the Ice Witch went that.
>>
File: 360104259_640[1].jpg (33 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
360104259_640[1].jpg
33 KB, 640x360
>>44408053
That started out as sounding like fun but by the time she tied him up and refused to let him go, I just felt my enthusiasm for the very story you were telling itself instantly deflate and become oh, nevermind.

I'm sorry for your loss.

In hindsight, you should've just made them kill eachother so they'd get that they have to cooperate to get anywhere and they can't get caught up in too much asinine bullshit.

A simple push could've had one of them falling down a hill, breaking their leg(s), or into the river, where they'd almost instantly start drowning unless they've got Swim. Even the whole tie-someone-up could've resulted in asphyxiation.
>>
>>44408221
That's still just ten advances. How the hell did you get to become a Nippon Champion (that presumably speaks Reikspiel?) with a Katana with only 1000 XP? Best-case, that'd let you finish your starting career and let you begin your second one, whereas Champion is *at least* a third-grade advanced career!
>>
>>44408265
Even so, that's not really possible. Unless you started in an advanced career, of course.

>>44408277
It was just his wrists and ankles, but it still could have gone a lot better. I don't usually like interfering a lot when the adventure first starts. It's kinda like when the opera makes all that noise because they're practising and checking their instruments. I let my players look around the world for a bit, get used to the skills they can do and wander around for a bit to get to know each other before I toss the plot at them. Or go with one of several plots depending on where their initial wandering goes.

That was just the first time it's gone so horribly.
>>
>>44408311
>It was just his wrists and ankles, but it still could have gone a lot better.

It's cutting off the blood to his hands! They're turning blue!

>That was just the first time it's gone so horribly.

Damn. Never had the whole "party instantly turns on eachother" thing, but damn.
>>
>>44408347
I've had the party turn on each other more than once. I've actually been on the receiving end of a would-be mutiny. But it's always worked out in the end, or the power was restructured in the party. Hell, I don't mind if one or more players die in an in party scuffle as long as the story progressed for a while before it happened.
>>
>>44408423
>I've actually been on the receiving end of a would-be mutiny.

Me to, but that was in Rogue Trader, and it was entirely warranted, because my character was literally crazy.

But the operative word was *instantly*. I generally shy away from PC murder because people get so whiny about the whole thing. Hopefully playing WHFRP will put an end to that. People need to get less attached to their characters.
>>
File: 668px-Cerealguyhd.png (112 KB, 668x599) Image search: [Google]
668px-Cerealguyhd.png
112 KB, 668x599
>>44408298
>>44408311
Considering by CRB, you don't have to have anything but the trappings and spend 100 XP, that's not hard to do.
>>
>>44408514
>>entirely warranted
Mine wasn't. I was wounded and one of the other players smelled blood. It only ended because we were split down the middle, so the entire crew could have died that day.

>>44408551
You have to finish the Main Advancements and pay 100xp each time you change a career. Champion is at least your Third career. Maybe if you made a beeline for it and didn't pick up any extra skills or talents, but that would just be gimping yourself. This all depends on which career these characters started in, so discussion without that is moot.
>>
>>44408584
>You have to finish the Main Advancements and pay 100xp each time you change a career
Flat out doesn't say that in the career changing rules.
>>
>>44408551
>Considering by CRB, you don't have to have anything but the trappings and spend 100 XP, that's not hard to do.

That's not how it works. Have you not even looked at the OP? Or are you just trolling?

>>44408592
See OP.
>>
>>44408592
>>Before you can enter the new career you've chosen, you must finish your old career by buying all available advances.

Page 28, core rule book. Under Changing Careers.
>>
>>44408551
"Before you can enter the new career you've chosen, you must finish your old career by buying all available advances."
>>
>>44408656
>Page 28, core rule book. Under Changing Careers.

Note that this isn't necessarily true, since it's different depending on printing, the last printing being the most outdated one, because FFG is retarded.
>>
File: WFRP 2 OEF_01.png (8 MB, 2513x3263) Image search: [Google]
WFRP 2 OEF_01.png
8 MB, 2513x3263
>>44408656
>>44408668
Not on the page anywhere.
>>
File: 20151227_151418.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20151227_151418.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>44408681
My pdf version says the same. Which is why I took a picture from the physical book.
>>
>>44408743
It's not in the errata. So I don't believe you.
>>
>>44408681
Again, check the fucking OP you autistic fucking piece of shit god fucking dammit I hope you get gassed in the impending holocaust of your kind.
>>
>>44408759
>It's not in the errata. So I don't believe you.
>implying there's an Errata

Cute.
>>
>>44408759
>So I don't believe you.

Clearly, he printed his own rulebook just so he could clarify the wording in an official rulebook to the people of the internets, or just lie.
>>
>>44408805
I want you to look at this thread and tell me there's not someone autistic enough to do that.

Take a good long hard look at this thread and tell me.
>>
Ignoring the fact that people are too retarded to read the OP of a general thread, I have a question beyond some autistic faggot's intent to shitpost and stir shit for no reason whatsoever.

Is there no way to do a Called Shot in WHFRP2? I know it later became a part of the entire WH40kRP line, and I realize that you can do things outside of the general ruleset - the Core Rulebook specifically says so - but I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing some rule.
>>
>>44408805
I think that makes sense. A lot more than editing a pdf book so that his argument is correct.

>>44408831
I'm assuming Called Shot is like "if X happens, I do Y"?
>>
File: tcpip_punch1[1].jpg (25 KB, 224x411) Image search: [Google]
tcpip_punch1[1].jpg
25 KB, 224x411
>>44408823
...you're right. Goddammit.

Either way, the writer clarified it, when asked.

But goddamn... sometimes, man. Sometimes I really wish I could murder people with my thoughts.
>>
>>44408869
http://web.archive.org/web/20080215033214/http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=WH&content=faq
>>
>>44408868
>I'm assuming Called Shot is like "if X happens, I do Y"?

No, it's when you Aim at a specific body part. I think that in WH40kRP, it comes at a -20 modifier, but you get to hit, for example, the Head.
>>
File: 1422749235671.jpg (42 KB, 296x289) Image search: [Google]
1422749235671.jpg
42 KB, 296x289
>>44408681
"As well as finishing your advance scheme"
you nigger
>>
>>44408885
There's the Aim action which gives you +10% to hit with either WS or BS on your following Standard Attack. I've allowed my players to aim for a certain part of the body, but if they do they lose that +10% bonus.
>>
>>44408879
Oh, thanks! I had no idea that existed. I had found the errata before, elsewhere, but I assumed it was a fan supplement, due to the shit quality.

It's actually great having a third source clarifying how Career Advancement is supposed to work. I'll add that to the OP if I ever create another one of these threads.
>>
Interesting bit from Gav Thorpe I cam across explaining why Dark Elf worship turned away from Slaanesh

>The subject of Slaanesh first came up when we were looking at the High Elves background and the Cult of Slaanesh. I had a long conversation with Rick Priestley and Alan Merrett, who expressed concerns that the worship of Slaanesh was not consistent with the rest of the Dark Elf approach to the gods. In a nutshell and without getting too metaphysical, it posed the question of why Dark Elves worship Slaanesh and at the same time also worship Khaine and not Khorne. There’s a never-ending debate about how the gods perceived by the Warhammer races are part of or separate from the Chaos Gods and this was encapsulated in the Khaine/ Khorne dichotomy. It seemed a far more plausible and characterful solution that while the Elves descended into debauchery and excess they would do so via their own pantheon of gods, just as Aenarion was a disciple of Khaine and not Khorne. This gave me the opportunity to explore the religious side of the Elves with more vigour, in particular expanding upon the classical Greek/ Roman approach to worship that the Elves beliefs are based upon. The idea that there are darker gods in the pantheon that all Elves accept, but only the Dark Elves pray to and give sacrifice to was a nice way to lead into the the idea of the ‘Dark’ Elves. This is something that is further explored in Malekith.
>>
File: 16546498732156.png (115 KB, 200x265) Image search: [Google]
16546498732156.png
115 KB, 200x265
>>44409128
Slaanesh was the only dark god to have anything to offer to the elves.
>>
>>44409128
That's actually interesting, but it's odd to go from that to abandoning the idea that the Dark Elves have Slaaneshi cults. I don't think that's an oddity, really, but instead shows a form of very real dynamic - that it's entirely possible to worship one of the Chaos Gods, or have cults dedicated to a chaos god, without adopting the entire pantheon and going full-on crazy.

I liked the idea of there being Slaaneshi cults amongst the dark elves BECAUSE they still had their regular elven pantheon in the mainstream of society, while the slaaneshi cult was worming it's way in via corruption and political maneuvering in the upper echelons of society.

And I absolutely think that they should've taken the time to explore the idea of OTHER chaos cults amongst the elves, too, such as high elves falling to Khorne after a much-too-dedicated approach to Khaine, or some cult of Isha being co-opted by Nurgle.

And so on.
>>
>>44409128
>Warhammer races are part of or separate from the Chaos Gods and this was encapsulated in the Khaine/ Khorne dichotomy

There is no debate. the fluff you wrote, mister Gav, is clear. The gods of the WHFB are all parts of the Chaos Gods. Born of the Chaos Gods and yet separate.

It's only stubborn fans that deny this.
>>
>>44409226
>It's only stubborn fans that deny this.

I'll never get that, really. It's all the warp and the warp isn't necessarily evil. It's all the warp, that just sorta gravitates towards different concepts. It's why something can be an aspect of something else, yet interpreted as separate.

On a meta plane, we all know that Ulric, Khaine and Khorne stem vaguely from the same warpstuff, and they all exist as part of the warp, rather than being clearly distinct individuals.

Even the warp is at odds with itself, which honestly makes a hell of a lot of sense.
>>
>>44409198

Liber Slaanesh had a part of it that examined why Elves aren't really seen among Chaos armies, particularly Dark Elves who live close to the north.

I think the explanation basically was that Elves worship in such a way that they don't allow their gods to take precedence over their own personalities.

>>44409226

In a way it's not really as clear as that. While Gav still holds to this particular belief, the Design Studio seemingly moved on to not really going in depth with the various gods and how they functioned.
>>
>>44409353
I don't think so.

According to ADB, GW murdered Chaos Undivided to emphasis that the Chaos Gods are the truth of the Warp.
>>
>>44409383

That doesn't really have much to do with the non-Chaos gods though.

In a way I can agree with their decision since the four Chaos gods acting as one is supposed to be a rare thing and similarly marks and such should be rare.

The more emphasis you place on the four Chaos gods, which GW has done, the less sense having a mark specifically for Chaos Undivided makes. Doesn't help that such can be taken by entire armies and not just individuals or even a small group within the army.
>>
>>44409478
>That doesn't really have much to do with the non-Chaos gods though.

Except the guy stated that ADB that the Chaos Gods being the truth of the Warp means that the Warp is made up of the Chaos Gods and the beings born of them or of them. The authors are in agreement but I guess the fans don't like to have things hard truths dedicated on them.
>>
>>44409353
>Liber Slaanesh had a part of it that examined why Elves aren't really seen among Chaos armies, particularly Dark Elves who live close to the north.
>I think the explanation basically was that Elves worship in such a way that they don't allow their gods to take precedence over their own personalities.

First, I think that sounds like BS. I have no doubt that you're telling the truth, mind you, I just think it sounds like a BS rationale.

Second, I could accept that as partly true and let it explain why we see very little of elven chaos, but we should still have seen more, I think. There's a wealth of good shit that would've been possible.

>>44409383
Murdering Chaos Undivided was always retarded anyway. They had played up the whole chaos unified thing way too much, instead of sticking to the original idea of chaos undivided which entailed precisely what we're talking about.

That the warp just is, and that the chaos gods aren't at all the "truth of the Warp"; they're just coalesced warp-matter that gravitates towards various concepts, taken form, and labeled "Khorne", "Slaanesh", "Hashut" and so on, because they exhibit consciousness and exerts force upon the material world to some degree.
>>
>>44409531
dictated*
>>
>>44409546
>That the warp just is, and that the chaos gods aren't at all the "truth of the Warp"; they're just coalesced warp-matter that gravitates towards various concepts, taken form, and labeled "Khorne", "Slaanesh", "Hashut" and so on, because they exhibit consciousness and exerts force upon the material world to some degree.

GW disagrees, though.
>>
>>44409478
As much as I think it was retarded to axe the idea of Chaos Undivided, the idea of a Chaos Undivided having it's own mark is double-retarded.

The only way to get a "Mark of Chaos Undivided" should be to get marked by all the Chaos Gods, which really shouldn't be possible in mechanical terms in any game, for very obvious reasons.
>>
>>44409579
>which really shouldn't be possible in mechanical terms in any game,

Mark of the Ascendant?
Mark of the Everchosen?
>>
>>44409546

Who bestows the mark then in the case of Chaos Undivided?

It's not like Chaos Undivided doesn't exist as a concept, you can still have a warband devoted to it. You just don't get any special rewards for it.

Originally it seems like the marks on their own did nothing, they just allowed you to roll on a table devoted to a specific god instead of rolling on the generic one while the Undivided mark increased a stat or something like that if you didn't want to roll.

Now that becomes harder to implement when it comes to wargame, especially if their is no downside to the Undivided mark and in fact in may be the best one.

>>44409616

Those are special cases and actually function how you'd imagined a mark from all four Chaos gods would, it's just their marks combined into one.
>>
>>44406094
>Think of it like how people who main mages in D&D ususually have a smartphone with all the spells on them

>'main' a class
>smartphone at the table

Confirmed, WFRP3 is tabletop WoW for dumb vidya babbies.

and I'm a 4rry
>>
File: Pronunciation.gif (559 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Pronunciation.gif
559 KB, 480x270
>>44406259
Only one way to pronounce it, anon.
>>
>>44406273
Personally, I find Celestial Mages the most fun to play; you get some decent combat spells, but more importantly you've got a lot of useful non-combat stuff, and you can be really ritualistic about it, which is what I like in a wizard.
>>
>>44409830
>>taking video of myself
>>better put up stuff that I like on the wall behind me so people know what I'm into
>>
File: Mark of Archaon.png (224 KB, 452x580) Image search: [Google]
Mark of Archaon.png
224 KB, 452x580
>>44409661
>Who bestows the mark then in the case of Chaos Undivided?

Archaon

Archaon in AoS strips his loyal servants from their allegiance to the Chaos Gods and bestows his Mark on them.

The Mark of Archaon

It's the Mark of Chaos Undivided in all but name.
>>
>>44409914
The Mark of Chaos Undivided was for someone who followed the Four, not placing one above the others. This Archaon mark puts one above the four.
>>
File: Cruel Mistress.jpg (88 KB, 424x514) Image search: [Google]
Cruel Mistress.jpg
88 KB, 424x514
>>44408743
>>44408681
>>44408759
This has been clarified a few threads back.

Green Ronin did multiple printings of 2e, fixing errors as they went. The Changing Careers thing is the biggest one, and >>44408743 has the last printed version.

When Fantasy Flight bought the license, they didn't use the correct reprints as the base for the PDF, but the very first run of the book. Current reasoning is that they are pants-on-head retarded.

Use the print copies if you can, because ironically they have the most errata worked in.
>>
>>44409661
>Who bestows the mark then in the case of Chaos Undivided?

Like I said later;
>The only way to get a "Mark of Chaos Undivided" should be to get marked by all the Chaos Gods, which really shouldn't be possible in mechanical terms in any game, for very obvious reasons.

Basically, I don't think there should be a Mark of Chaos Undivided. That concept is just stupid. This does not make the concept of Chaos Undivided stupid.

If you want to not be dedicated to one of the four, in the case of rolling on a table or something, you could just have a generic chaos table.

In practice, there should probably have been six different concepts for this. Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Chaos Undivided, and Chaos Unaligned.

Chaos Undivided representing a dedication to ALL the chaos gods as a pantheon, or Chaos as a concept whole, while Chaos Unaligned would represent everyone that isn't specifically aligned to that or any of the four major gods.

Or something to that effect.
>>
File: Warhammer Gods.png (5 MB, 1364x1370) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer Gods.png
5 MB, 1364x1370
>>44409306
There's a difference between 'all gods are reflections of the warp' and 'all gods are aspects of the 4 Gods of Chaos'.

The first is widely accepted and correct, the second is some bullshit.
>>
>>44409946
>This Archaon mark puts one above the four.

Himself maybe.

Archaon deals with the Chaos Gods equally ( Horned Rat aside).

Be'lakor is the currently the only being in all creation that actually has a Mark of Chaos Undivided. (It's right there on his manly chest). I don't have to tell you that he does not follow or honour the Chaos Gods.
>>
>>44410025
>correct

Wrong

>the second is some bullshit.

Wrong again. It's the correct one.
>>
>>44409871
That's the Idea Channel guy; he works for PBS making online content, that wall of records is how they connect with the kids these days. (i.e. self-obsessed liberal youths in university willing to watch pseudo-philosophy videos using Harry Potter characters and talk about them on reddit, the ones who will be impressed by the 'obscure' bands).
>>
>>44410025
I'm the guy you responded to. I agree completely, to the point where it's literally impossible to agree more without being autistic about it.

In fact, I created the image you uploaded, in an earlier thread, because I love the idea of the other gods (i.e. other aspects of the warp that may or may not share varying degrees of warphood with the Big 4) trying to hold back the 4 big ones, and that them interfering with the material world damages the cage, or widens the hole between realspace and the immaterium.
>>
File: 1450928423569.jpg (50 KB, 500x682) Image search: [Google]
1450928423569.jpg
50 KB, 500x682
I screencapped the FAQ posted earlier and uploaded it here: http://i.imgur.com/Yvdf8pH.jpg

If I make more threads, I intend to include it in the OP. I would've uploaded it right into the thread, but it's too big to upload on 4chan.

Picture unrelated. It's the vaguely civilized beastfolk of Kuresh. Or something. I dunno. Make something up.
>>
>>44410066
Taking a stab in the dark, I'm going to assume that you're the one that also thought that End Times and Age of Sigmar mattered.

All gods being aspects of the 4 Gods of Chaos is some serious bullshit and that won't change just because you think it should.
>>
>>44410547
>All gods being aspects of the 4 Gods of Chaos is some serious bullshit and that won't change just because you think it should.

And I take a stab in the dark and say that you haven't opened "Hordes of Chaos" 6th ED or the WHFRPG 1st edition source book. This is where the fluff about the gods of the WHFB universe being aspects and parts of the Chaos Gods come from. For all your love for the olden fluff, you seem to ignorant about a big portion of it. Perhaps intentionally.

I mean how is it bullshit? Because you disagree with it because it doesn't fit your understanding of the setting?
>>
>>44410640
1e also talks about the Gods of Law and how they are not descended from Chaos, but the antithesis of them. As well, the Old Ones were set up (in the High Elf and Lizardman army books, as well as elsewhere) as Gods who either came from some other reality entirely (as opposed to the regular or Chaos realities), or who are in opposition to the Gods of Chaos in all flavours, not just the big 4.
>>
>>44410388
kuresh has nagas as main beastmen though.
>>
>>44410640
>This is where the fluff about the gods of the WHFB universe being aspects and parts of the Chaos Gods come from.

Except that is not at all as clear-cut as you try to make it out to be, which you base on skub fluff that has no bearing, not actually the much more ambiguous sources of Hordes of Chaos. and WHFRPG1.
>>
>>44410790
>kuresh has nagas as main beastmen though.

Source? Not contrarian, just asking, because I like beastmen and like the idea of filling in the gaps.

I think that in the last thread, someone said that beastmen take on the shape of the fears of the local population, which probably isn't something I'll take to heart anyway, but I never got a source on it.

Either way, cool beans.
>>
File: beasts of chaos (6ed).png (1 MB, 866x1167) Image search: [Google]
beasts of chaos (6ed).png
1 MB, 866x1167
>>44410912
>There are many night-haunted legends emanating from the fetid jungles and deadly wastes of the far hinterlands of Khuresh. Stories abound of the dread Snake Men and the foul and nightmarish Blood Naga queens who rule there, and it is a realm where men are no more than hunted prey, and blood and souls are the only coin in trade. Rarely do artifacts of this fell civilization reach the Old world and all are steeped in blood and misunderstood power. One such artifact is the White Sistrum, a strange ivory-graven rattle-drum shaped like an hourglass, whose discordant music brings madness and death, and evokes the terrible rites of the Naga.
>From Monstrous Arcanum.

While for the aspect of the beasts we have pic related, source in filename.
Nothing actually stops beastmen from differing a lot even in the same regions, chaos and all that.
>>
>>44410388
http://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=92
Have some more gifts from the Ice Queen
>>
File: Power Hug.jpg (424 KB, 965x714) Image search: [Google]
Power Hug.jpg
424 KB, 965x714
>>44411207
Nice.
>>
File: Chaos Gods (Hordes of Chaos).png (117 KB, 328x353) Image search: [Google]
Chaos Gods (Hordes of Chaos).png
117 KB, 328x353
>>44410844
Actually, it's clear.

Read the final sentence.

Lets the cognitive dissonance start.
>>
>>44411382
>gods are conglomerations of emotions
>basic emotions form the greatest gods
>other gods, being made of basic emotions too, are parts or conjunctions of the big 4

being made of analog emotions doesn't translate directly into "LOL khaine is khorne with an elf mask", which I am assuming is actually what the other anon is not agreeing with, the fact that god in general are described as self conscious beings would support this, kinda like a tumor being actually part of you but it not being exactly you nor following your normal nature.
loose parallelism, but in my tired mind is the fist thing that popped up, don't know if it conveys the idea.
>>
>>44411382
Literally all of that actually supports my points, aside from the flower-language of the very last sentence, which basically ties into my overall argument anyway; that they are just coalesced warpstuff without distinct individual identities, but rather all part of the same thing, of which the four big ones are the greatest, because they form the largest "blobs" of coalesced warp-stuff, but that everything is still linked together to varying degrees.

So.. thanks, I guess?

>>44411733
Pretty much.

For example, Ulric and Khaine are not Khorne, but both Ulric and Khaine are close to Khorne, or embody parts of Khorne, but not all of that which encompasses the warp entity traditionally known as Khorne.

The same goes for all the entities of Chaos and the Warp, whether they're daemons or gods or what-have-you, with the chief difference being that the four big ones are far bigger than virtually all others, and that these others exist between the four big ones, grow near or on the four big ones, or gravitate to or from the four big ones to various degrees.

I guess the best way to describe it in concrete terms as to how I have it in my head would be to compare it to a 3D grid in space, where the various influences upon the warp, as generated by varying degrees of varyingly related emotions generates a gravitational pull that warps space around it, and all these various points of gravitation grows in size depending on the strength of the influence, and various forms of emotion gravitate towards eachother, and eventually, some of these become strong enough to exert force back into the materium to some degree, and come to embody the idea of associated ideals, interpreted as individual gods.

So Ulric is a blob connected close to what would be considered Khorne, where some might argue rightly that Ulric is an aspect of Khorne (or essentially Khaine), but the concepts which Ulric embodies are still strong enough to stand on their own, without being consumed.
>>
Welcome to WFRP general where we talk about what the gods are, whether you need to spend XP to advance, how to spell WFRP and call anyone who disagrees an autist.
>>
>>44408743

Most GM's ignore this anyways since it's stupid.
>>
Alright, the work on my custom armoury continues. Pulled a lot of influence from WH40kRP and made a custom Weapon Qualities list that I was thinking I'd be using to differentiate many of the weapons and equipment.

Thoughts?
>>
>>44410640

1st ed RPG had Chaos gods who were not the big4 for Christ's sake.
>>
>>44413302
>Most GM's ignore this anyways since it's stupid.

Most GM's don't ignore this as a blanket rule, because it makes perfect sense.

What most GM:s do is that they hear arguments as to why Rule 0 should be practiced in their particular case, instead of throwing out good rules because of the theoretical snowflakes of internet autists that just wants to cherry-pick their advances in order to power-game against their equally theoretical hordes of 6 TB/6 AP knights dual-wielding best-craftsmanship axes using optional rules, supported by Bright Wizards that cannot set anything on fire with their fire spells nor with torches because the rules does not specifically say so.
>>
>>44413439

Forcing people to put exp in their dump stats is stupid.

And powergaming in Warhammer is retarded.
>>
>>44413684
>Forcing people to put exp in their dump stats is stupid.
>implying there's dump stats and that someone that isn't powergaming would denote something a dump stat

Everything is a dump stat if you're brave enough.

>And powergaming in Warhammer is retarded.

I agree, which is part of the reason why the base system is good, and deviations should be arbitrated, not the norm.

But we've been over this and you're just pulling it up so you can shitpost more, aren't you? Kinda like how you tried to bait with a random comment on fire again at one point, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>44413747

What the fuck are you even talking about?

And I never played a WH game without some changes to the system. It's a very flawed system. But few changes make it work pretty good. Most GM's update it to the latest 40k versions.
>>
>>44413795
>What the fuck are you even talking about?

That you're the same shitposting autist that's pulled this exact thing up at random before, with the exact same tired arguments, to be refuted in the exact same way.

>And I never played a WH game without some changes to the system.

Nobody has.

>Most GM's update it to the latest 40k versions.

Yeah, no. The latest 40k versions are very, very different from WHFRP2 and an update like that is not something you just do. Even converting between Dark Heresy 2 and anything other than Only War is a ton of work.

At best, you pull loose pieces and that's that.
>>
So would it be worth converting Dark Hersy 2e for use for WFRP?
>>
File: 1427549018996.jpg (36 KB, 300x316) Image search: [Google]
1427549018996.jpg
36 KB, 300x316
>no crpg version of whfrp
>>
>>44414201

It's the same system with minor changes. Magic is the only thing that needs work.

WFRP suffers from really bad decisions like the whole deal with Dodge Blow. Or players with SB/TB of dragons.
>>
>>44414359
>So would it be worth converting Dark Hersy 2e for use for WFRP?

I would say no. There are definitely good things you can pull from the WH40kRP games, but a full conversion would be a rather massive undertaking, and largely needless, since a lot of mechanics simply do not translate well, or would have to be reworked.

I'm working on an Excel Spreadsheet for WHFRP2 weapons, items and armour, and since WHFRP2 actually has very few weapon qualities, I looked over all the qualities from the whole WH40kRP range and.. I actually ended up taking very little.

There are some things I'd like to see converted, but that might take some real work. The barebones of the combat system, with it's Combat Actions (such as Called Shot) comes to mind.

Dividing up Talents into Talents and Traits, and expanding upon both, would be nice.

There's a lot of inspiration that can be taken, but ultimately, it would have to be more about improving WHFRP2 than to actually converting WHFRP2 to the DH2 system.

....I really wish that WHFRP2 would be metric. 2 inches = 1 square is so jarring.
>>
>>44414531
>I really wish that WHFRP2 would be metric. 2 inches = 1 square is so jarring
lol what

A yard and a meter are pretty much identical for all intents and purposes.
>>
>>44414444
>It's the same system with minor changes.
It's really, really not. I have extensive experience with all the WH40kRP games, and just getting them to play nicely with eachother is a bitch.

It's the same fundamental system, and I'm not saying it cannot be done. I'm just saying that it's far more work than you seem to realize.

And especially the later WH40kRP:s suffer from the exact thing you mention, with players having SB/TB of dragons. It gets incredibly wonky fast, and the WH40kRP:s suffer from the fact that they're based on a rather low-tier game, where the modifiers are relatively small.

It starts unraveling into ridiculous numbers rather fast. Nevermind the condensation of Skills in the latter versions resulting in single skills representing enormously wide areas; from Only War onwards, Tech-Use covers everything from operating a Comm, to making factory-grade gear from scratch, to using and placing all kinds of Demolitions.

There's a lot you can pull, but there's no easy conversion to be made. And I'm saying that as someone that's going to try to pull A LOT of shit from the WH40kRP:s, as soon as I've gotten more experience with WHFRP2 so I'm sure I'm not breaking anything irrevocably.

Once I've made a good armoury, I'm going to try to convert the Traits and Talents section, rewrite the Skills section, and convert the Combat System.

But it's an assload of work.
>>
>>44414415
It's called darklands anon
>>
>>44414552
>A yard and a meter are pretty much identical for all intents and purposes.

Problem of course being that I'm coming from WH40kRP, where everything is metric, and I have no idea how much an inch is, or a yard, for that matter.

It's entirely based on preference, I realize, but metric has the benefit of always being consistent and having a system to it. 1 meter is always going to be 100 centimeters, and 1000 meters is always going to be 1 kilometer.

And I'm sorry, I meant 2 yards = 1 square. Not inches. See? Madness.
>>
>>44414643

The only things from the basic 2ed combat system that really need changing is the dodge mechanics and TB. I saw different fixes by different GMs and it's generally easy to fix.

A much bigger problem with 2ed is the magic system. It's a horrible mess. Spells are not balanced. Lores are not balanced. Glacial Surge and Wrath of Gods are not balanced.

But even that is not horribly hard to fix.
>>
>>44413321
You don't need Blast; simplifying everything down to small, large or cone templates works wonders.

Useless is a garbage quality; you can already cut down the strength of a weapon through modifying the SB (or imposing a flat penalty to that specific weapon type if it's not melee). You don't need it, and you'll be tempted to use it if you have it, which will do no one any good.

Flame doesn't make sense as worded: Will the XX be a modifier to their own Agility attribute? Setting it as a flat 'you need to beat XX' is unbalanced as it doesn't take in the personal Agility of the target.

You don't need both Scatter and Shrapnel; it doesn't add enough depth to reward the brainpower learning it, assigning it to different weapons, or choosing one over the other. Scatter is an unnecessarily complicated import from DH, but if you need to have it then drop Shrapnel. (Similarly, you don't need Spray, as it's functionally identical to Shrapnel with only a bit of a fluff change).

Tearing is the exact same as Impact, you don't need both. I think you're getting too caught up in the flavour of the qualities and not really looking at the mechanics.

Unbalanced and Unwieldy are likewise too close in functionality for people to give a damn about the difference.

Also, from the general bent I'm guessing you're thinking about the characters having access to a lot of bombs, gunpowder weapons, and other cutting-edge specialty weapons. If you want that, be aware that they are really fucking dangerous en masse (or even just one guy with a bunch of pistols and Quick Draw) and that the pricing puts them beyond the reach of most parties anyways (not just in buying them, but keeping those things fed with gunpowder and bullets, especially if they go to the vast majority of the Empire where getting those resources is impossible for a dodgy traveler).

Not bad for a first draft overall, but needs improvement.
>>
>>44404919
That's not on the actual cover, it's a joke fan edit.
>>
I think the biggest problem with Magic for a system like WFRP is that every GM will have a different idea of how it should work and how powerful it should be.

There is plenty of fluff to argue for wizards to range from super-powered destroyers of worlds, to feebs who have just a slight edge over others.

Ideally the magic system should be able to be tailored by the GM to suit how magic heavy he wants the game to be.

Hell, having extra rules to turn WFRP from Grim and Gritty to Heroic might not be a bad idea.
>>
>>44406493
>WFRP makes no sense - it's either WHFRP, or WFR

I thought the logic was:

Warhammer - noun. It's a name, single word. Abbreviated to W for the same reason that Roseanna would be shortened to R or Butterfly would be shortened to B. All of them are built of multiple word elements, but they are each one word nouns. So, W.

Fantasy - Shortens to F.

Role Play - Shortens to RP. The issue here is a lot of people, the books included, use Roleplay like it's a single word. This is grammatically incorrect. It's not a noun, it's two separate words that are often amalgamated together out of convenience and habit. The best way to describe it is like 'Alot'. Alot isn't a word. It's A Lot. Just because people use 'alot' constantly doesn't mean it's not grammatically correct.

Either way, arguing that because Warhammer is W then Role Play should be R, or that since Role Play is RP then Warhammer should be WH is the same as arguing that:

Butterfly Fantasy Alot should be BFFA and not BFaL.

But eh, WFRP or WHFRP, we know what you're talking about. WHFRP is clearly the incorrect use, but as long as people understand then what's the issue?
>>
>>44417240

Still fits though. Empire Priests are scary motherfuckers.
>>
>>44414713
>It's entirely based on preference, I realize, but metric has the benefit of always being consistent and having a system to it. 1 meter is always going to be 100 centimeters, and 1000 meters is always going to be 1 kilometer.

Metric is the better system for use, mechanically. Everything just...fits nicer.

That being said though, Imperial gives WFRP more flavour. 12'' = 1'. 3' = 1y. 1760y = 1m. 3m = 1lg. It's fucking nuts and I love it.

12 pennies equal a shilling. 20 shillings equal a crown.

It's confusing, but I love it.

I like playing with the idea that Dwarf and Elf characters use metric in their societies, and get confused as fuck when dealing with Empire measurements and currency.

One of my favourite game memories was when we traded with a dwarf engineer to get a schematic for a submersible as well as a few dwarfish engineers to help produce it.

The thing sunk on it's maiden voyage because the Dwarfish engineers were all using metric measurements and tools, but all the Empire yard hands were using Imperial.
>>
>>44416319
>You don't need Blast; simplifying everything down to small, large or cone templates works wonders.

As a guy coming from 1ed WFRP, how does the template system work for people who aren't using miniatures for combat?
>>
>>44407701

I could see that with about 10,000 XP.

Any other stories?
>>
>>44416319
>You don't need Blast; simplifying everything down to small, large or cone templates works wonders.

Not a fan of the templates because they are not modular. Part of the reason I'm homebrewing this is because I want there to be a higher degree of modularity.

>Useless is a garbage quality; you can already cut down the strength of a weapon through modifying the SB (or imposing a flat penalty to that specific weapon type if it's not melee). You don't need it, and you'll be tempted to use it if you have it, which will do no one any good.

I can do that, but it would remove the potential for creating situations where I would simply add (or degrees of) Useless to an object in a specific situation, and instead have to modify the SB on an individual basis, which is cumbersome and inefficient.

>Flame doesn't make sense as worded: Will the XX be a modifier to their own Agility attribute? Setting it as a flat 'you need to beat XX' is unbalanced as it doesn't take in the personal Agility of the target.

I'll look over the wording and see what could be confusing. I think it is pretty straight-forward, though; if it says Flame (-10), you take a -10 Agility Test; if you fail, you are set on fire. The norm would be 0, but again, I wanted modularity and freedom in determining that.

>You don't need both Scatter and Shrapnel; it doesn't add enough depth to reward the brainpower learning it, assigning it to different weapons, or choosing one over the other. Scatter is an unnecessarily complicated import from DH, but if you need to have it then drop Shrapnel. (Similarly, you don't need Spray, as it's functionally identical to Shrapnel with only a bit of a fluff change).

Scatter and Shrapnel is sufficiently mechanically different, though. They work in very different ways, and many weapons that have one will have the other. A merger would be possible, but given how different they are, I prefer to keep them separate.

>con't
>>
>>44416319
>>44420930
>cont'd

Similarly, Spray and Shrapnel are actually very different. Shrapnel hits everything in a line in front of you, like a tight-spread blunderbuss, while Spray represents a cone spray or stream moved left to right (or vice versa), such as from a flamethrower. I'm honestly not sure if this one will actually end up used, but I wanted the Quality to be there if I need it, or at the very least for NPC use (or very specific, or custom weapons)

>Tearing is the exact same as Impact, you don't need both. I think you're getting too caught up in the flavour of the qualities and not really looking at the mechanics.

Absolutely caught up in the flavour, because I felt like Impact and Tearing are narratively different and gives different rationales as to why the quality applies. But if you'd want a mechanical rationale as well, they stack.

>Unbalanced and Unwieldy are likewise too close in functionality for people to give a damn about the difference.

Yet the difference is huge. One imposes a -10 penalty, while the other one makes parry flat-out impossible to use. Useful for turning poor-craftsmanship weapons with Unbalanced into Unwieldy, for example.

>Also, from the general bent I'm guessing you're thinking about the characters having access to a lot of bombs, gunpowder weapons, and other cutting-edge specialty weapons.

Not really thinking about them having access to it, but I didn't want to discount the possibility, and wanted to account for those things mechanically. The reason it seems to be the general bent is because those were the ones I considered "missing" in WHFRP2, which is why they were added - but at the end of the day, not all of them will see wide-spread use.

I may also update it at some point to include even more fantastical Qualities, just so I can slap them onto spells. I even considered adding Shock, but realized that I can't think of a weapon that'd actually get it, so I decided to hold off.
>>
>go away for christmas
>leave /wfrpg/ open
>come back
>find 4-days worth of autistic bullshit over several threads

autists don't celebrate Christmas, I guess?
>>
>>44419169
>Role Play
Now you're just trolling. This was already explained to you in the very post you're referencing.

>WHFRP is clearly the incorrect use

Except it's clearly not, as evidenced by this thread. There's yet to be a solid reasoning for saying that, other than
>muh appeal to authority
>muh tradition
>>
>>44421188
>Christmas is for the Weak.

How was yours, by the way?
>>
>>44421207
pretty cool, thanks.

watched a movie about autists, coincidentally
>>
>>44421188

Apparently the Austist never sleep.

Just mute people like >>44421190 and >>44419169. The mods do nothing and it's easier this way.

Did anyone do anything WFRP related this Christmas, out of curiosity?
>>
>>44421231

Small world. Which one was it?

>>44421115
>>44420930

You're doing great work, Anon. I know this isn't exactly a helpful response but it deserves to be said. Not a lot of people work on house rules for WFRP these days and you're clearly putting a lot of work into this.

Well done.
>>
>>44421302
Snow Cake

really optimistic and heart-warming winter movie
>>
>>44421315
>>44421302
Watch Zero Charisma. It will remind you of this thread's you-know-who.

>>44421243
I painted the Skaven I gifted myself.
>>
>>44421315

That's the one with whatshisname - Snape, right? I've been meaning to check it out. I'll have to get around to watching it.

>>44421243

My WFRP group had lunch together, on Christmas Eve. Ended up playing a one-shot Stargate/WFRP cross over.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.