[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Civilization Quest Thread General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: civ_chart.png (2 MB, 720x2259) Image search: [Google]
civ_chart.png
2 MB, 720x2259
THIS IS NOT A CIV GAME, IT IS A GENERAL.

This is a thread created for the discussion of civilization quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QMs.
>>
>>43985791
>>
there are really not enough civs happening at the moment. what happened to ghouls?

also, am i the only eurofag interested?
>>
>>43985993
I'm not sure.
>>
>>43985993

>>43933433
>>
>>43985993
Well, I'm +2 GMT and scouting threads most of the day, but they only happen once in a blue moon.

>tfw you'll never again participate in a dozens long civ thread
>tfw no spreadsheet monkey gm with good storytelling skills
>tfw even if I did have the skills I wouldn't enjoy it as much as if I were a regular player
>tfw your insect civ from stone to space age will never happen
>tfw you'll never again enjoy an economy system with drones automatically collecting biomass each turn and hatching new units to expand your territory for more drones for more biomass for more troops for more territory for more biomass for more troops
>tfw you'll never design a unit with empty slots to fill.
>>
>>43986400
>>tfw you'll never design a unit with empty slots to fill.
You can fill my slot, sir.
>>
Did anyone read the Lanternfolk quest?
>>
>>43987011
Sell me on it. Was it any good?
>>
>>43987336
It was okay.

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43931463
>>
>>43987433
Oh man that's bad. It's like two or three people spitting unenthusiastic limericks at each other
>>
>>43987613
>opinions
>>
>>43932251
>>
>>43985719
>Weekend Civilization Quest Thread General

This is only partially related, but I feel as though since I made such an impact on the CIV scene I figure you guys might be interested in what I'm working on:

I am working on a Dungeon-based CYOA where in you Anons take the position of an Overlord building their very own dungeon:
-You pick your dungeon Size
-You pick and organize your dungeon terrain tiles & dungeon features
-You than staff and stock your dungeon with purchased Minions & Monsters with the resources generated by your tiles

I've been illustrating and writing everything for it myself and would love and welcome any criticism, comments or what-have-you:

-Terrain Tiles: http://imgur.com/a/83mQV
-Monster Bestiary: http://imgur.com/a/HJn61
-Dungeon Features: http://imgur.com/a/vA9WB (Little house indicates 1 tile upgrade, "little "rows" indicate entire floor upgrade.)

It's still incomplete and very much a work-in-progress mechanic wise and I still have MINIONS and OVERLORD CLASSES to do- but still, please, by all means pick it apart.
>>
>>43988198
This could be fun.
>>
>>43988198
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHvWmJREROY
>>
>>43989071

Anon, that's not fair using the last unicorn against me.

It's mildly true though in a few aspects: It feels like a lot of the popularity and enthusiasm Civ quests had deteriorated after I left...
And it seems like all is dying and would leave the Civ anons to mourn
In the distance hear the laughter of the last CyclopsOP

I'm alive, I'm alive!
>>
>>43989501
Once, I can't remember
I was, long ago, someone strange
I was innocent and wise
And full of pain

Now that I'm a c.m.
Everything is strange

Once, when I was searching
Somewhere out of reach
Far away
In a place I could not find
Or heart obey

Now that I'm a c.m.
Everything is changed
Everything is changed
Everything has changed
>>
>:BumP:
>>
File: 1444929601168.png (7 MB, 1500x6400) Image search: [Google]
1444929601168.png
7 MB, 1500x6400
I have been looking forward to start a civ quest on my own for a long time. Any Advise how to make it a success? or do i just start with a new one and hope decent people join?
>>
>>43990748
Don't let the player's choose the race. Pick one you like then do some preliminary worldbuilding.
>>
>>43988198
>looks like dungeons
>i liked dungeons
>make this a thing
>>
>>43985993
Jyoti is running a quest. Shouldn't you know from his twitter?

>>43990748
I have a lot of opinions, not a lot of facts, and some of these opinions contradict each other. Sorry buddy.

>>43988198
definitely giving it a read

It seems to me that TECHNICALLY we have enough people to run at least 1 civ a week, but the issue is that everyone is mysteriously spread out between multiple timezones.
>>
>>43988198
This is looking very interesting, but I'm curious on how you're going to add up all these stats and distinguish all of these tile modifiers at a glance. It feels like a video game, and the cards are in-game encyclopedia entries.
>>
File: Dungeon_Minion_Alien.png (213 KB, 784x904) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon_Minion_Alien.png
213 KB, 784x904
>>43991077
>but I'm curious on how you're going to add up all these stats and distinguish all of these tile modifiers at a glance.

That's honestly my most immediate and blatant problem: I'm terrible with numbers.
I'm mostly just a narrative and art kind of guy... So really any criticism or nit-picking is appreciated and loved.

>>43988857
>>43990860
>>43990969
>>43991077

Thank you for all the interest!
It's still being worked on; the next one I plan on finishing is the "Minion" section whom are basically your "Staff".

The first one I've completed so far is the "Alien".
>>
>>43991517
The way I see it, you have 4 tile "types"
>surface
>underground
>wall
>hole
and then you add up to two "templates" to them? The issue is that these template modify 4 different stats, which is going to be pretty hard to keep track of for every single tile.

Maybe if the template and things like income are calculated in 8*8 "blocks" of tiles. Entire floors might be a bit much for things like farms.
>>
>>43991616

Well the way I'm currently "doing it"/ imagining it is basically:

-Your Dungeon is organized into "levels" and these levels have tiles you can place terrain and features on.
-Your Dungeon levels can also be upgraded with features that affect or apply bonuses to the entire level (The ruins or Dungeon Town, etc )
-You can take as many features as you have levels, I.E: 10 levels, 10 features, etc.
-How many levels you have is dictated by the SIZE of your dungeon (and perhaps the model, I.E: Tower vs cave or city or something? Dunno).

That's about it at the moment.. oh, besides:

-Resources are generated by features and terrain tiles. You use resources to purchase Monsters and Minions for your dungeon.
-Monsters are purchased "per-level" and can be purchased multiple times.
-Minions only need to be purchased once.

-The MAGIC and TECH stat are used to "operate" features: if you have a feature with a magic or technology stat you need a corresponding minion with an equal or greater stat to "run it".

Okay I "think" that's it.
I intended to elaborate this in a set of rules that would come with the completed CYOA pdf.
>>
>>43991915
>You can take as many features as you have levels, I.E: 10 levels, 10 features, etc.
do you mean the 10th level has the 10th feature, or the 10th level can have up to 10 features by itself?
>>
>>43991915
>Resources are generated by features and terrain tiles. You use resources to purchase Monsters and Minions for your dungeon.
you're going to count individual tiles for resources. You sure that effort isn't better expended elsewhere?
>>
File: CyclopsCiv.png (152 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
CyclopsCiv.png
152 KB, 700x700
>>43991915
It is really good to see you still around mate.

Cyclops Civ was what got me into Civs and then Quests in general.
>>
>>43985993
>what happened to ghouls?
Taking a break from Ghoul Civ to run my latest quest Death Among the Stars.

I'm definitely going to return to Ghoul Civ just not sure how soon
>>
>>43991960
>do you mean the 10th level has the 10th feature, or the 10th level can have up to 10 features by itself?

I mean if you have 10 levels you can buy 10 features.
Think of Levels as Tokens and each level can get you one feature.

Would it make this easier to understand if I started calling levels, "Floors"?
>>
>>43992183
So features affect ALL the levels/floors? I mean, what do you do if you want each floor to have a different theme, or want a floor to combine themes?
>>
>>43992058
>Cyclops Civ was what got me into Civs and then Quests in general.

I've heard this a few times from a lot of other anons when lurking these, but thank you! That always means a lot to hear from you guys.

>>43992034
>You sure that effort isn't better expended elsewhere?

There's only three types of resources: Food, Material & Money.. so I don't think so??
>>
>>43992340
well, if you say so.
>>
>>43992237
>So features affect ALL the levels/floors?

See here:
>>43991915
>-Your Dungeon levels can also be upgraded with features that affect or apply bonuses to the entire level (The ruins or Dungeon Town, etc )

A feature either affects an individual tile or it affects the entire floor/level it's placed on.

http://imgur.com/a/vA9WB
Features with a little "house" icon only need to be built on 1 tile.
Features with the several "houses" icon affect and are built on the entire level they're on.

The LABYRINTH is built on a floor and turns the entire floor into a labrynth: it doesn't replace any tiles, but instead compliments them, I.E: you now have all these forest or flooded or what have you tiles within a labyrinth.

The FORGE/GREENHOUSE/ETC is built on an individual tile.
>>
>>43992434
ah, mixed up feature with terrain a bit there.

But still, can you have multiple floor-wide features on the same floor? Say, Labryinth Dungeon Town? I'm assuming you can put a forge and greenhouse on the same floor, no problem.

My main worry is that individual tiles having multiple terrain types is going to be hard to show with just colors.
>>
>>43992617
>But still, can you have multiple floor-wide features on the same floor?

Nope. "multi-tiled" features don't stack.

>I'm assuming you can put a forge and greenhouse on the same floor, no problem.

Correct. They can't though be in the same room/tile.

>My main worry is that individual tiles having multiple terrain types is going to be hard to show with just colors.

Oh, no, no: A single Tile can only have 1 Terrain type (with exception to the "flooded" terrain tile) and 1 feature placed on it.
>>
>>43992713
>A single Tile can only have 1 Terrain type (with exception to the "flooded" terrain tile)
ah, so no intention of adding more "stackable" terrain types? No mist/fog, etc?
>>
>>43992829
>ah, so no intention of adding more "stackable" terrain types? No mist/fog, etc?

I'm sure as hell not opposed to that.
Miasma, Mist, etc..

Flooded currently does that like I've said previously.
>>
>>43992853
But you can't have MULTIPLE stacks, right? Miasma flooded forest sounds like a bit too much going on.
>>
File: W_myrmidon.png (2 MB, 704x1134) Image search: [Google]
W_myrmidon.png
2 MB, 704x1134
>>
Hey everyone it's been a while. I've recently finished my Senior Year of Highschool and if I remember correctly people spoke well of my Civ threads. Unfortunately none lasted all that long due to real world commitments, but if people feel this way: >>43985993

I suppose I could go about hosting them again?
>>
>>43994046
Here it is, preliminary World Building and all, been working on this setting for a few weeks now.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.