[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Game General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: bgg.jpg (828 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
828 KB, 1000x1000
I'm too tired to think up questions, just talk games.

>Diamonds and SW:Risk in the mail for xmas gifts to family who are just starting to get interested in my hobby.
>Heading out of town Friday to go visit the heavier gaming group and get in two full days of nerdery
>Client calls last minute tonight, asks if I can do an order for delivery early Monday morning
>Shifted everything, now leaving Thursday afternoon so I still get 2 days
Every time I try to get down to Indy for gaming people go and fuck it up, but not this time, not when I finally have a copy of HoN available to play with my nephew.

Last thread >>43856303

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU
>>
No one's up and wanting to talk cardboard at all? Where the fuck is Steev when I need him to write a 20 page guide on how to build a proper German army to crush a 12 yr old with?
>>
I have a board game that I opened but will likely never play. Is there some sort of game exchange/trade/way for me to get rid of it that isn't just selling it?
>>
>>43940927
BGG has a regular trade system, as well as math trades (depending on your region) every couple months. Finding a trade through geekmail can be a long process but is sure to get you what you want, math trades are much more likely to get you a trade fast but you might end up with a game you don't enjoy as much. Rahdo did a pretty good series of videos on how they work, and if you're just looking to drop one game it might be worth it to wait. If you attend any conventions or live in a big enough location you might even find a no-shipping math trade, which helps get you more value for your game, as people are more willing to part with games when they don't also lose another $10-20 each.
>>
>>43940927
What game is it?
>>
>>43941188
Battlestar Galactica
>>
Jesus Christ, has it been difficult to get people together for board gaming lately. Thanksgiving, friends going through breakups, some just flaking out, and I've been on the emotional rollercoaster of depression.

I got to play some Small World: Underground with a friend on Thanksgiving Day. I really like the idea of Small World, but I'm still having trouble with strategy. I feel like I'm just kinda winging it without really having any idea how to play the long game. I still won thanks to the four or five rounds I spent with my Reborn Mudmen being untouchable thanks to my pet Balrog.

I'd fucking cut a bitch to play some Terra Mystica.
>>
File: unf.jpg (366 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
unf.jpg
366 KB, 1024x683
>>43941357
Wasn't on my list of things that needed to get done this weekend, but I think it is now. Getting my local group to play anything heavier than TtR/Carcassonne is like pulling teeth, they're all still too new to the hobby. Now I just gotta convince my brother in law that wooden cubes are better than cardboard chits from the 70s.
>>
What is Mage Knight like?
Is there a game that compares to it?

It's so expensive here, so I haven't looked into it since last year.
>>
>>43941426
Unnngggghhhh, it's so good, isn't it?

I totally get why there are plenty of people who don't like games like Terra Mystica, of course. It's big, it's complex, it's ponderous, there's a distinct lack of action...

... and those are all the things I love about it. It's a lovely, introverted game.
>>
>>43941426
El Caballero is Carc with a little extra.
You have to boil the water slowly, or the frog jumps out.
>>
>>43941718
That's a lot of words to say "comfy."
>>
File: binding spell.jpg (70 KB, 822x1122) Image search: [Google]
binding spell.jpg
70 KB, 822x1122
I'm making a witchcraft retheme for Hanabi, but I can't figure out what ingredients should be in a love potion. Rose petals, locks of hair, a bottle of wine...?
pls help me /tg/
>>
>>43942499
the scale of a dragon, a wolf’s tooth, a witch’s mummified flesh, the gullet and stomach of a ravenous shark, a root of hemlock that was dug up in the dark, a Jew’s liver, a goat’s bile, some twigs of yew that were broken off during a lunar eclipse, a Turk’s nose, a Tartar’s lips, baboon blood, the finger of a baby that was strangled as a prostitute gave birth to it in a ditch,
>>
>>43942567
Some of these will definitely make it to print, thanks! How do you come up with these things? Does the trailing comma mean there's more?
>>
>>43942651
I literally copy-pasted from a page gotten by entering "Macbeth ingredients" into Google.
>>
>>43942499

Harry Potter and Dresden files had a list of love potion ingredients: ashwinder eggs, rose thorns, pepper mint and moonstone is what I can find from the HP side.
>>
>>43943142
Those are shitty ingredients.
>>
Does anyone on here have/use TTS? I would really love to get a few games going on there. I've got Shadow of Brimstone I've wanted to play with a group but hasn't ever happened
>>
File: sad.jpg (41 KB, 640x441) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
41 KB, 640x441
>>43943165
>>
>>43939848
>I finally have a copy of HoN available
HoN?
>>
>>43943310
Heroes of Normandy, a squad based tactical foamcore game based on a manga about the Axis repelling the Allies at Normandy.
>>
>>43943351
Oh shit son, that sounds dope. Any good links for gameplay or anything of the sort?
>>
>>43939848
I just bought all of runebound 2nd edition, expansions, promos and dungeon quest 3rd edition which has chars for runebound for £700+

Not quite sure how to feel.
>>
>>43939848
>Indy
Do you mean Indianapolis?
>>
Btw did any of the people that took part in the BGG auction from the last thread finalized the transaction/got a quote about the shipment cost?

I only got the followup mail and no response after that.
>>
File: Age of Napoleon Board Game.jpg (326 KB, 1500x1083) Image search: [Google]
Age of Napoleon Board Game.jpg
326 KB, 1500x1083
I'll re-ask my question from last thread: Are there any games similar to total war's campaign map? I've played A&A 1941 and quite enjoyed it. I was also looking at Age of Napoleon, Has anyone played this, would you recommend it?
>>
>>43941678
It's a fantasy exploration game wrapped in a neat puzzle game. Each turn you're faced with a hand of cards that you need to use to the maximum to develop your character to be faced with a slightly more complex puzzle next turn. It somehow still manages to retain a thematic feel. I don't think there's any game I would be able to compare it to, it's one of kind as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>43943632
Journey to the Overland, although not as strategic, is shaping up to be kinda like it
>>
>>43943643
Maybe.
>>
>>43943654
I have complete faith that he will deliver
>>
>>43943665
Maybe.
>>
>>43943673
Stop it anon, you're making me doubt myself
>>
>>43943710
Don't doubt yourself, anon-kun, I'm sure you're going to be fine maybe
>>
Anything upcoming in the 4xXfront that's not set in space?

Planning ahead might be stupid but I guess I'd want to get something heavier in half a year.

And AFAIU Scythe isn't really 4X
>>
>>43943794
I don't think I've ever played a truly 4X game, most games associated with the genre lack at least 1X.
>>
File: pic2550416_lg.jpg (649 KB, 1024x1023) Image search: [Google]
pic2550416_lg.jpg
649 KB, 1024x1023
>>43939848
Well, since this thread seeme to be taking over, I'll reference my last post: >>43938395...

Did anyone back Battalia the creation? I hope to get it before Xmas...

Have you backed up any games recently?
>>
>>43943394
Yup, I live and work in lower Michigan, and travel down to Indianapolis 4-8 times a year to visit family/friends and do some heavy gaming.

>>43943376
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZmDKd7yUW4

Sam's also got a video where he does a comparison between it and Memoir '44, which is pretty helpful if you're trying to decide which one fits in your collection better.
>>
File: 1297162286240.jpg (14 KB, 450x307) Image search: [Google]
1297162286240.jpg
14 KB, 450x307
OK guys, so I finally opened my copy of Gate of Arkham for Elder Sign to just have a look at it and read the instructions...
I opened the box, looked at instructions and some cards, then closed the box. The box lid now sits half an inch above the base. The contents somehow expanded which is really pissing me off.

So now I'm thinking about making a custom insert in the vanilla game box to include the pieces from both expacs in their own sections.

Does anyone know what type of foam to use and how expensive it is?
Do I just use an exacto and a ruler to cut them?
>>
>>43944096
5mm black foamcore is the usual material. Go search on Amazon for cheap prices.

Basic tools are sharp cutting knife with replacable blades, metal ruler, healable green cutting board, PVA glue.
Optionals include 90 degree straight edge, sandpaper and custom made vertical cutters.

Go check out youtube videos on best practices and handy tips but it's really going to boil down to practice, practice, practice. You will cock up a fair few times, you will forget to take the foamcore thickness into account when you're measuring, you will have boxes that look fine on paper and fine on measurements just. not. fit. inside. the. damn. container. Don't worry about it and good luck.
>>
>>43944096
>Does anyone know what type of foam to use and how expensive it is?
Foam core/foam board find it in the school good/arts & crafts section of Meijer/Walmart/Target etc. My local store stocks a dozen colors made by Elmer's for $2-4 a board. Elder Sign (no expansions) took me about 3/4 of a board to create an insert.

>Do I just use an exacto and a ruler to cut them?
Yup any kind of utility knife will cut just fine, make sure you go straight down and keep the knife steady or else the foam in the middle will tear and you'll have edges that look gross. Lots of people prefer the breakaway blade type utility knife because it lets you ensure your blade stays sharp and doesn't drag, I like using a heavier razor blade knife and just trade them out faster.
>>
>>43944205
>>43944187
Thanks guys.
Would you be interested in seeing the result when I finish?
Will be about a week before I do it probably.
>>
>>43944229

I certainly would.

I've been planning to make a foamcore inserts for Ghost Stories. as a test I love the game but setting it up is a PITA.

Also someone wrote a helpful tip last time I asked about inserts - you don't really have to buy the healable green cutting board - just get some cardboard to protect your deks/floor and use cheep blades (because they will dull more often then on a self-healing mat)
>>
>>43944303
Alright, will post it next week when I assume I will be finished.
I love measuring/planning, so that will be the most fun part about this I think, but then I have to physically make it work, which is probably a whole different story.
>>
File: 20151202_084211.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151202_084211.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>43944424
Potato quality but I gotta rush out the door in a few minutes for work. Clock and entrance card sit on top of the token box, and stay flush so if I ever get around to printing a board for the game it'll fit on top. Or I end up getting Gates of Arkham and have to redo the whole damn thing from the ground up.
>>
>>43944303
You can get a self healing mat for like $15 at Hobby lobby though
>>
>>43944798

If you're going to spend your time on building foamcore models, sure invest. But if it's going to be a couple of times a year you can make do with cardboard. At least I think i can.

My apartment is crowded as it is, no need to add *more* shit to it.
>>
File: 124084051194.jpg (18 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
124084051194.jpg
18 KB, 400x320
>>43943351
>Heroes of NormanDIE
>Based on a manga
The fuck you on, nigga?
>>
>>43943219
Oh my god, that's fucking stone cold, man...
I could never bring myself to bin the poor guy.
>>
>>43944978
Seconding the cheap cardboard, I just use the free priority mail boxes from the post office, just make sure if you get the large size you put them off center from each other, there's a pretty sizable gap there and I almost cut up my desk making the Elder Sign insert posted above. They also work really well for painting minis on; since they're rigid enough to pick up without shaking crap all over the place and move elsewhere to dry.
>>
>>43944544
I got Unseen Forces bundled up with base Elder Sign, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but /bgg/ seems to think it's the 'meh' expansion, Is Gates really that good?
>>
>>43936106
/bgg/ was already up, so... redirect there perhaps?
>>
File: Agent Orange.png (401 KB, 571x758) Image search: [Google]
Agent Orange.png
401 KB, 571x758
mfw both threads try to redirect to the other one
>>
>>43945531

Lurking programmers just got into an infinte loop.
>>
>>43942499
Rufalin
>>
File: i-has-the-dumb[1].jpg (40 KB, 600x365) Image search: [Google]
i-has-the-dumb[1].jpg
40 KB, 600x365
>>43945531
I uh...
yeah.
>>
>>43943602
Anon here.
He sent me a second message last night for specifics about a certain game I'm getting extras with, but did not go into detail whatsoever about a shipping cost, total cost, estimated ship date, paypal address- nothing nada zip.

The only thing I know to do is to be patient as that guy probably has 8 million PMs to now respond to daily.

Also keep in mind he's a tiki, so expect any replies from him at night time.

It sucks, but I guess that's the price to pay for the deals we all got.
>>
>>43945460
I keep hearing it changes the game quite a bit instead of just adding to it. Zee Garcia is a big Elder Sign fan and his review was really positive.

>>43945513
Yeah I wouldn't have posted the OP last night except I have /tg/ filtered to put any general at the top of the board. No title on that other one so I didn't see it, my bad for not looking hard enough.

>>43945614
Guy's also navy so his schedule is probably even more fucked up than a regular person in tiki lands.
>>
>>43945689
Yep. I almost debated if all the trouble and waiting would be worth it until I realized I'm saving $80 from the board games...before shipping, that is. So that price will probably be halved if not more.

But then the other thing I won is a huge lot of shit I'm paying 20% the worth of, not including an extra expensive weird thing in the lot that is now unobtainable, so it's totally worth the wait.
>>
>>43945614

Thanks. I've got no problems with waiting a bit - I figure the shipping is going to be minimum two weeks and probably a full month. I was just afraid that I was ignored/forgotten or something.

Thanks anyway.

>>43943903

That looks interesting. Haven't backed it but gonna learn more.
>>
Are there any games with Napoleon in Europe style battleboard, but set in First/Second World War? Loved the battle system were you actually had to plan your battles and not only mindless dice rolling were you just calculate odds pre-combat.
>>
>>43946100
>Napoleon in Europe
Sheeeit, I loved that game. Never got to play as much as I wanted because I lived way out in the boondocks and no one could/would invest the time to play with me. That's a great game.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-02-13-41-41.png (399 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-02-13-41-41.png
399 KB, 1080x1920
Takenoko, 7 Wonders, and Smash Up went below 50% so I had no choice.

Has anybody else been stalking amazon for too good to pass up prices for board games? Did you find anything else?
>>
>>43948510
I've been waiting for Corto to stop costing $60 after shipping and taxes for about a month or so (it's "only" £40 in my country, but I'm not paying that much for a game unless it's Viticulture).
>>
>>43948804
It's $38 here in burgerland.
Are you 60 years old?
I couldn't imagine playing that game if it was given to me.
>>
>>43948865
>It's $38 here in burgerland.
I'm sure it is, but on Amazon.co.uk it's a bit more expensive (£33 - just under $50) so I'm waiting for the price to drop over on amazon.com so I can take advantage of your weak and puny American dollars.
>Are you 60 years old?
No, I just consider Ballad of The Salt Sea to be something that everyone should read at least once in their life. And I'm aware that the game isn't the greatest thing ever, but I'd like to own and play it nonetheless.
>>
Hey /tg/ it's Christmas and I'm wondering, what are some good exciting co-operative boardgames for slightly younger gamers?

I know about Arkham Horror, so I'm aiming for something a little less complex than that, but hopefully in the same vein.
>>
Does anybody have a list of recommendations for dexterity-based games?
I have zero games like this and would like to try some out.
I'd just get shit like break the ice and jenga otherwise, so I'd love some ideas.
>>
>>43950030
>co-op
>exciting
I'm confused.
How do you revel in the lamentations of your enemies if the enemy is cardboard?

>arkham horror but simpler
The obvious answer would be eldritch horror.

>>43950116
>Dexterity
Flick 'em up and pitchcar are both great fun, but a little expensive.
>>
>>43950116
Disc Duelers is pretty fun. Feels very much like the pc game worms. You are trying to kill the other teams, and there are boxes of weapon goodies to grab, but things...just aren't going to go your way all of the time, what with the disc flicking and all. It's pretty fun for small to medium (5-7) groups.
>>
What's a good Mage Knight alternative? I can't shell out $90
>>
>>43950116
Hamsterrolle is pretty expensive, but it's one of the few games in my collection that my family will play.
>>
>>43950116

Dungeon Fighters?
>>
>>43950116
Big fan of dexterity games, have a bunch in both my groups and everyone seems to enjoy at least one of them. Work especially well with children, drunk people, and non-gamers.

If you've got a lot of money and a huge table: Pitch Car and Flick Em Up. Don't get Pitch Car mini, it loses a lot when shunk down.

If you're in Europe and willing to look through a lot of shops/used listings: Roadzters/Bisikle, it's a better version of Pitch Car (plastic non-warping track, ball instead of disc to flick, can jump over other players) but didn't get big market penetration and is OOP.

If you've got a reasonable sized table with 5-10' of space on all sides: Dungeon Fighter and Pingo Pingo. Dungeon Fighter can have some impossible shots (step back + blowing off your hand + bank shot = not for smokers) but it's a more interactive version of Catacombs and totally co-op. Pingo Pingo is speed based and really fun but in a tight space loses all the challenge.

For younger kids: Animal upon Animal/Super Rhino; actually Super Rhino is just awesome anyhow, and really cheap. As long as you're ok with the box from Haba reading ages 5+ it's well worth the small investment.

If you're wanting to be cheap: Cube Quest and any of the Toc Toc Woodman series. All the Mayday Games dexterity options are good but can get a little expensive. That said, Coconuts is beer pong for 4yr olds and can be sold to even the most casual bro of non-gamers, and the Chopsticks Mega Dexterity Challenge when played properly aggressive is like a scene from a classic kung fu film.

Disc flicking: Disc Duellers or Catacombs, just two solid games, nothing much more needs to be said, except make sure you get the new version of Catacombs, which shouldn't be hard to do.
>>
>>43939848
played Kanban the other night. It was everyone's first play. From setup to cleanup, it took a total of 5 hours. I really appreciated this one, it turned my sleepy buzz into this surreal corporate nightmare (in a good way). Made me want to play more Dominant Species

On Sunday I got my first play of Discoveries, which turned out to be exactly the kind of game I wanted out of it. imo Discoveries is the dice edition of San Juan, akin to Roll for the Galaxy's rendition of RaceftG.

Also tried out The Ancient World. It has a nice presentation and the game's alright, but ultimately I didn't have to make any agonizing choices. I won just by making consistent plays and always having enough resources

At thanksgiving my uncle brought supplies for Liar's Dice. Fun, but ultimately I'd rather be playing something else. I pulled out Hanabi after that was over and we had a good time with that. It's easily the best game investment I've made, it works very well with everyone.

>>43950116
Lift It! is the objectively correct answer.
>>
>>43950427
Defenders of the Realm, maybe?
>>
>>43948510
Yeh, I grabed Betrayal on house on the hill for like $20 on monday, It should be here any second.
>>
>>43950030
Pandemic, it's been on sale recently for around $18-$20 between amazon and target, so wait for it to be on sale.
>>
>>43939848
If I may ask, how does everyone here feel about Boss Monster / BM2? I understand it's an 'appetizer, and I've played a few games by BM2 rules, but it feels like it has no 'swing' and it's therefore too easy to dominate. Is it just me, and if not, does anyone have any suggestions?

Additionally, what asymmetrical card games are out there? I already have Netrunner (and learned a lot from examining Jackson Howard, Praise Be Unto Him), but I'm looking for others to study for a card game I wish to make.
>>
>>43952074
>asymmetrical card games
Well, you're already playing arguably the best one out there.

Unless you count twilight struggle, which is more of a card-driven board game, but still might be worth looking into.
>>
>>43945689
>>43945460

In regards to Elder Sign;
Gates of Arkham adds a totally new adventure card deck, so you are supposed to removes the vanilla/forces ones which means you can't get cursed or blessed.
Basically what it does is makes every new card that comes out face-down initially, which have effects on the back, and then only when you visit that card you flip it over to reveal the task/s.

It makes the game a lot more challenging and seems more thematic that you are going place to place to investigate rather than being in the one building the entire game.

But to play by the rules you either have to add gates cards or remove them which kind of sucks.
>>
>>43941678
>>43943632

In terms of theme, the best you're going to get is that it's not too unlike an "RPG in a box".

The idea is that you're a Mage Knight, a powerful entity striding across a continent to fulfill your debt to the shadowy organization that gave you your powers.

You level up, gain new abilities, gather armies, and face threats in the world on your way to complete your objective.

Your actions are represented by a series of cards that give you basic options (move X distance, attack with Y strength, defend with Z) that are stronger if you pour mana into them.

Personally, my friends and I enjoy it, though some quick "cons"

-Huge set-up in terms of space needed, pretty long.
-Games take between 90 minutes to 3 hours.
-VERY complex.

On the other hand, it generates fun moments like an RPG. One time, I was so stoked, because I was losing, but on my turn I was going to have the ability to move to a good place and take out some orc armies that wouldn't just catch me up, but put me in the lead, while also getting me out of a shitty region I had stumbled into stuck between a lot of hard-to-move through spaces.

Another player moved to pretty much exactly where I wanted, killed one of the orc armies, and stalled the other, trapping me in the shitty region, and moving him even further into the lead.

I was so pissed off, I had my character march over and curb-stomp a very powerful dragon at the cost of gaining some wounds to make up some ground. We had a great laugh about the idea of my guy screaming in rage that his victory had been stolen, then calmly stating "That's fine.", walking over, and snapping the neck of a dragon as it clawed him. "THAT'S JUST FINE."
>>
>>43953076
THAT'S FINE.

THIS REVIEW IS FINE.

I'm getting the game now, ass hole
>>
>>43953539
>getting mage knight
>meaning she's gonna stall on Summoner wars once again

Damnit notananon!
>>
>>43953718
Noo! I'm gonna get Descent Labyrinth, buncha summoner wars and Mage Knight on my next big CSI purchase!
>>
>>43953826
>getting mage knight from CSI anytime soon
I've got bad news for you.
>>
File: 20100130.gif (59 KB, 504x533) Image search: [Google]
20100130.gif
59 KB, 504x533
CSI sales!

I choose the "pick up in store option, choose the store closest to me?, and when I reach $100 I change it to shipping, correct?
>>
>>43954197
What exactly would this do?

>>43953844
I don't really have the money to get it right now anyway
>>
>>43954399
I'm getting Quantum and the Terra Mystica expansion for like $25 each. That isn't enough for free shipping, so you choose to pick it up in-store and wait 'til you buy enough shit to get free shipping, then change your order to shipping. I'm asking to confirm, as I can't find the part of the site that someone said recommended this.
>>
>>43954462
Oh so it's like a way to reserve the lower prices.
>>
>>43954462

What does the Terra Mystica expansion add, anyway?
>>
>>43955662
A board with a completely new map on one side and a slightly modded for balance OG map on the other, more turn VP tiles, four endgame VP tiles to randomly choose from (farthest apart buildings and most buildings on border I know for sure), and six new races, four of which are complete garbage, the other two being godlike.
At $25 the new map and new tiles are worth it, not paying $50 for races I'm never using, nawmeen?
>>
I got the "Ascension: Apprentice Edition" from Barnes and Noble on a whim. I liked it well enough, but soon figured out the dominant strategy of sticking with runes and ignoring power, getting Mechana, ect.

Is there a version of Ascension where this isn't the case?
>>
>>43955733

Gotcha.

In a similar vein:

What are some must-have expansions, /tg/? I just picked up On the Brink for Pandemic and I'm enjoying it so far, if only for those sweet, sweet purple cubes.
>>
>>43956474
All of theme.

Legit only strategy is buy every single card that lets you draw+effect

Played so much of this game with my play group and we all got sick of the winner always being the one who managed to buy the most Draw+effect cards
>>
>>43954197
No pick the Maitland store because that's the main branch. Just remember you only get to do one daily deal per shipping order.
>>
>>43956522

Damn. I really wish it was balanced better because I love the mechanics.
>>
>>43956888
I did Maitland, but the thing was a cyber week sale. Does that count?
>>
>>43956984
You're probably safe, but you can always email customer service and they'll let you know for sure.
>>
I've noticed you guys talking about fiddling with foamcore, and it's got me thinking. I've got a few miniature based board game (myth, arcadia, super dungeon). I was thinking of cutting out foam like I do with my wargaming minis, but that kind of safekeeping might be overboard for board game minis, even painted ones. Thoughts I guess?

Pic related is a wip of what I normally do.
>>
>>43957104
I'm very seriously considering the battle foam kit for my SDE set once I finish painting, though it's not exactly the best fit for the box. Often considered doing like what you have, but I'm not good at rounded edges so probably pick/pluck foam for me.
>>
>>43957256

What tools do you use? Tell me you don't use a knife anon.
>>
File: 1407639451483.png (82 KB, 1300x892) Image search: [Google]
1407639451483.png
82 KB, 1300x892
>>43957315
>>
>>43957317
No I haven't tried cutting foam on it's own yet, I was thinking more about my troubles with rounded edges on the foamcore inserts I've built so far. Plus I've got issues with anything less than surgical profession, and not the steadiest hands so I tend to hate my finished product more than anyone else.
>>
>>43957622
Surgical precision, damn it's been a long day.
>>
>>43957622

One of these days im going to stop being a lazy shit and make an instructional video on how to do it, but basically with foam, you need a few things

Soldering gun (30 usd from a hardware store)
3' 10-12 guage solid copper wire (33 cents a foot from hardware store)
Some sort of respirator if you're working inside, heck i'd still wear one outside (varies, also at hardware store, probably paint department.
Foam (off the net, like 3 bucks a sheet usually), crazy cheap.

Take the copper wire, strip it, bend it into the shape that resembles the other soldering gun tips. Mark on your foam the shape you want. Heat up the soldering gun with the copper tip for maybe 10 seconds, and start cutting. It takes practice getting the wire hot but not too hot.

Oh also a glue gun and some extra thinner sheets of foam for backing.
>>
>>43950030
Forbidden Desert
>>
>>43957740
That's genius
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>43958148

Info on this in a sec...
>>
>>43958272

Alrighty, so looking at the gun itself, you can see what im talking about with the tip being shaped a certain way.

That first tip you see on the left came with the gun.

The second and third tips were made from a coat hangar wire. The short one works well for 2" foam, but once you go thicker, the steel just doesn't conduct well enough to cut. That third tip doesn't work for shit shit.

Now, notice how much longer the currently equipped tip is. Being that it's copper, it gets crazy hotter than the others. If all you're doing is small stuff, then you should be fine just grabbing a coat hangar and making something short like I did.

ALSO, if you go this route, you most likely want to use an angle grinder or a dremel to flatten the wire to make it sort of like a knife. It gives you nicer cuts, and also when you bend it sharp like the copper and last wire is, you can make turns mid cut, with that rounded end one, you can't turn well, so you have to back out of the foam and go back into it.

Also, a thing, the iron tips generate very little smoke or smell, i'd say you might be fine without a respirator trying that. When you switch to copper though, the difference in heat is substantial, and it puts out a bit of smoke.

It also makes the foam oily for a bit, but i believe that goes away after awhile. Gonna find my case and check right now.
>>
>>43958272
Seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to get smoother edges than cutting with a razor.
>>
>>43958381

Maybe 30 minutes to set it up, and if you're any sort of DIYer you've got all this stuff lying around anyways

Takes me maybe 3 minutes to make pic related. Would probably take like 30 with a knife, as well as being a pain in the wrist to do.

Tried the knife route. Breakaway blades that stayed sharp and all that. It's a miserable experience.
>>
>>43958485
Ah, I thought you were talking about ye Olde foamcore boardgame inserts. Miniature cases makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>43958763

Oh right, yeah, foam would be terrible for something like board game inserts...or maybe not? Like get a sheet half as thick as the Heroes of Normandie cards, cut slices in the foam and just wedge em in maybe?

Speaking of which, I've gotta say I was saddened to learn Normandie is a 2 player game. I spoke with you about it a few days ago, and looks interesting but now I'm not even sure if it's worth getting. I rarely game with just one other person.

>>43958368

Confirming that the sticky residue does dry out.
>>
>>43950116
>Does anybody have a list of recommendations for dexterity-based games?
This is coming out of left field so you probably won't be interested, but you should take a look at Dread.

It's a horror roleplaying game with no dice rolls. Character actions are determined to be successful or not by pulling a block out of a Jenga tower. If your pull is successful, your character succeed. If the tower falls, your character dies. That's it for the character, no do-overs, no retries. The game goes on until only one character survives.

It sounds simple, and it is, but the jenga mechanic really builds tension since the pulls become harder and harder as the game gets more involved, and one wrong pull means death. Pretty darn fun, and great for playing out horror tropes.
>>
>>43958849
Expansions kick HoN's playercount up, and I've had some really great 2v2 games, but yeah, it's primarily 1v1, which has certainly cost it some playtime in favor of other stuff.
>>
File: dn_frontcover.jpg (135 KB, 587x800) Image search: [Google]
dn_frontcover.jpg
135 KB, 587x800
This is one of the funnest games to play solo, bros; would definitely recommend.

I can't say for co-op play though since I tried to organize a board game night but everyone who told me they wanted to play flaked on me /blog
>>
>>43956513
Of the games I own/played, there aren't many I'd consider a must-have.

Tuscany for Viticulture, To Forge A Realm for Kingsburg, Suburbia Inc for Suburbia, and Scoundrels of Skullport for Lords of Waterdeep are the only ones I'd put in that category.

There are others that are supposedly on that level, but I haven't tried them yet so I'm not gonna put them there myself.
>>
>>43959457
Shattered Empire solves a LOT of TI3's problems, foremost being overpowered fighters, broken and unfun Imperial strat, and useless cruisers.
>>
I've already picked up a couple games recently but I'm thinking about getting maybe one or two more before the end of the year. What can be said about the shit that I'm considering getting? I'm already mildly informed but I'm curious if I should prioritize one of these titles over the others because it is that much better.

>terra mystica
>lords of xidit
>castles of burgundy
>orleans

I'll also be getting some more expansions for Race for the Galaxy and Eldritch Horror, but those don't count against the list.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a blog post, I'm fucking moving away from my shitty group that only ever wants to play garbage like zombicide. I hope to never play that game again.
>>
>>43962268
Preach brother, zombicide is a piece of shit and the novelty of it wore off after the first game.
>>
>>43962287
It really is. Trouble is I know a lot of people only like boardgames with 'cool' miniatures. Nevermind you're still playing on a piece of cardboard. For them zombicide is the paramount of board gaming. Fuck that game. Its one of the only games I'll vocally criticise.
>>
>>43962287
>>43962613

Uh I wanted to get a zombie themed game one day and Zombicide was one of the things I wanted.

I guess I'll either stick to Last Night on Earth or Dead City.
>>
>>43962646
Dead of Winter. Cooperative game with possible traitor mechanic, and though you may survive whatever scenario you're playing, everyone still gets personal missions they must complete if they actually want to win as well.
>>
>>43962665

I heard that Dead of Winter gets duller and duller the longer you play, I want something that will last (even if it's on the table infrequently).
>>
>>43962646

>arcade like fun
>good minis
>Zombie variety
>RPG elements

If you like these things, try out zombicide before you discard it. I've never played dead city, but found zombicide to be muuuuch better than last night, and while they're really different games, dead of winter got boring for me after the second play, while zombicide has been enjoyable over multiple plays due to its nature.

Form your own opinion, as /tg/ tastes vary wildly from good to absolute shit.
>>
>>43962884
>RPG elements
I know there are some third party scenarios where you can keep your character between games but I think it is a bit of a stretch. Very very minor facet of the game at best.
>>
>>43962919

>leveling up
>item management
>skill trees
>game difficulty actively adjusts to the character with the highest level

Sorry anon, whatever it may be, it's certainly not very very minor
>>
Day 3 after the huge BGG auction.
I didn't receive a message last night.
I'm starting to get frustrated.
I know dude has a LOT of stuff to box up and calculate on top of his military job, but damn.
I'm starting to wonder if it'll be 2 weeks before my package even gets sent out.
>>
>>43953076
>In terms of theme, the best you're going to get is that it's not too unlike an "RPG in a box".
It's really not, though. You can provide a narrative to any game you play, but Mage Knight just never feels like an RPG.
>>
>>43963303

In the same boat, still nothing
>>
>>43962677
It's fallen off a lot of people's radar, but consider mall/city of horror. Dead of winter is still pretty good, but after a dozen or so plays, my group's gone back to liking BSG better again, as long as we have the time for it.
>>
>>43963417
Try Dark Moon, it's BSG express and gives you the same experience in half the time.
>>
>>43963443
Yeah, I'm aware of it, just feels silly to have DoW, BSG, AND Dark Moon in the same collection.
>>
>>43963498
It must feel silly to attention whore on an anonymous imageboard yet that never stopped you.
>>
>>43950116
The new edition of catacombs. Played it a couple Times and it's awesome
>>
TFW no friends, closet full of board games and minor card games.
One of these days, I should just scan up all my shit and play more Tabletop Simulator...
>>
>>43963819
Anon. We can play together. I'm literally in the same boat. What do you wanna play?
>>
>>43963871
Nothing right now, cause I can't access Steam.
But ideally,
House on the hill, already uploaded everywhere
Epic Spell Wars, already uploaded most places
And Killer Bunnies, self-upload to get all the decks together from blue to chocolate.
>>
>>43963902
I'd be happy to play any of those, provided you give me a chance to learn them; always keen to play and learn new Boardgames. It's 1:40am here but if you want to add me anon we can organise some games.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mrayner
>>
>>43964046
>It's 1:40 A.M. here
I'll be available in about 8 hours, 15 minutes. Get some sleep. I'll post here when I start the server up with the pass for whoever wants to join and then I'll teach and we play.
>>
>>43964077
You're a darling anon. See you in 8ish hours.
>>
Is there a group for TTS?
I know they usually die after about a week or two but it'd be convenient.
>>
>>43963819

>make a Facebook group
>advertise it on Craigslist
>attain group
>host party
>acquire fun times

At least that's what I did. Worked with paintball and board games.
>>
>>43964128
DESU, I just use the Tabletop Simulator club on Steam. It's a great source of people wanting to play digital traditional games.
>>
>>43963819
>>43964128

Facebook or MeetUp, if you're willing to go out and meet random people some of them might turn out to be pretty cool!
>>
>>43963550
Absolutely, but the salt of easily triggered people gives me the will to continue.

>>43963819
If there's a college in your town, most of those spawn at least a few public gaming groups. If you're lucky, one of them might even be tolerable.
>>
>>43964199
No colleges in my town, but I do go to college, it's why I don't have access to my Steam right now, cause awful college Internet.
No FLVS or equivalent here either.
The college has two or three private Magic and D&D groups and a videogame club, but nothing, literally nothing else.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449005814676.jpg (84 KB, 800x467) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449005814676.jpg
84 KB, 800x467
To encourage a bit of discussion and to widen my views on gaming, what's the best game you have ever played that isn't TI3?

Why did you choose the game you chose?

You may use the word "best" in whatever semantic you wish.

Pic pretty but unrelated.
>>
>>43964615
Chaos in the Old World is the most amazingly balanced asymmetrical area control game ever made. It just fires off on all cylinders, the theme, the graphic design, the replayability are simply unparalleled. It awards clever play and is a lot less random than TI3. I think it would be much higher on the BGGeek list if most people gave it more than 1 play, since Khorne is a lot easier to play than other gods so beginners must have thought the game is unbalanced.
>>
>>43964615
Don't remind me that my copy of TI3 sits unplayed on my shelf. It's painful to think about.

On-topic though, my favorite would definitely have to be Chaos in the Old World. Fucking love that game.
>>
>>43964615
Chaos in the old world for groups, Summoner Wars for the 1v1.
Chaos for reasons already listed.

Summoner Wars because its rules are simple but the plays can be deep. The factions certainly feel different, and the deckbuilding options, though limited, are varied enough and reward a long term gameplan. It's a really stripped down miniatures/skirmish game that I don't have to pay thousands for, paint anything, or waste hours over a single match. It just hits all the right buttons for me, and the expansions have been very affordable and rewarding. There is only one or two decks out of the 32 armies i actively dislike playing as or against.
>>
File: rule3.jpg (22 KB, 342x109) Image search: [Google]
rule3.jpg
22 KB, 342x109
>>43964554
it's not bothering anyone, stop trying to start shit every week
>>
>>43964704
>>43964731
I'm glad to read these.
Besides the TI3 expansions that I'll never get to play along with TI3, the games that are highest on my priority list are:
>CitOW
>Forbidden Stars
>Xia
>Mage Knight
>Death Angel because it's cheap

Unfortunately like TI3, none of my friends are willing to sit down and learn these games.
>>
>>43964903
Mage Knight is better solo than with 3-4 players. Still, you need better friends.Where you at, bro?
>>
>>43964903
Man, get additional friends. Meet new gamers ornfind the unconverted.
I've managed to have my wife, her bff, her brother, his nonboard gaming friend, my doctor/non-gaming buddy, my gamig friends gf, and others play ti3 at least once, if not getting them hooked on it.

Through ti, I've introduced people to the hobby.

Just gotta keep looking for like minded people.
>>
>>43964615

I'd pick two but haven't played StarCraft that much so will refrain from praising it until I'm after the honey moon phase

In my opinion the best game is:

> Neuroshima: Hex

It's brilliantly balanced with asymmetrical sides, random elements yet skill always trumps luck.

It's easy to setup - literally just pick up the box get the board up and start shuffling chits.

It's fast paced and gory, even when playing casually with "take your time" attitude it goes down so fast. One match takes up maybe 30 minutes tops so you can duke out 2-3 times easily.

The art for 3ed is simply gorgeous. The only complaint I've heard against it is that the mobile game is better then the boardgame.
>>
>>43964969
I live in West TN. Closest FLGS is a 30 minute drive to KY which isn't bad considering some folk here are hours away from one.
It's also MtG and Force of Will-centered shop and, while I love both games, I want to play board games mainly.

Friends aren't too bad, but there's only two of them. One is a wacky artist who enjoys rpgs mostly but gaming isn't a high enough priority for us to play a lot. Other one loves rpgs, 40k, mtg a bit, and likes board games too- it's just hard to schedule because he works night shifts.
All other friends in my town don't care about playing games unless I ask them to and even then are only excited to play because I'm spending time with them.
/blog
>>
>>43964992
>skill always trumps luck

Tell me about it. My wife has the app, has been playing it a ton for the past two years. Created an infinite loop with Doomsday, can repeatedly make neojungle into nightmare. She is a much better player than I. I play against her now and then, and its mostly a stomp. I make some moves, and she recognizes how bad they are and pounces.

Still fun, makes the win so much more satisfying, but yikes is it an uphill battle most of the time.
>>
>>43964869
Actually I'd like to mention that tripfuck attention whores bother me.
>>
>>43965251
offtopic whining bothers me, and is a rule violation unlike tripfagging
shut the fuck up or at least talk about boardgames while you cry
>>43964554 based janitor

>>43964615
all this CitOW love
i've only played twice but so far i'm enjoying rex more just for the politics and battle system
need to get some more plays in with both tho desu senpai
>>
Playing Battlecon: Can I choose the Special Action card as one of the pair of cards I have to cycle at the start of a match?
>>
>>43965400
>offtopic whining bothers me, and is a rule violation unlike tripfagging
Thanks STEEV, now put your trip back on.
>>
>>43965502
>steev
>having only played chaos twice

Well, now here's a fine idiot that doesn't pay attention to the things he hates.
>>
>>43965502
>Dropping both my trip and my punctuation autism instead of just blowing raspberries at the whiner.
Why? It would annoy him(you?) more if it WAS me.

Also I've never played chaos in the old world. And I've got too many other 4-5 player area control games to make buying it a priority.

Speaking of which, anyone else ordering the new expansion for Kemet? Was supposed to be out last month, but I still can't find it anywhere aside from some scalpers that picked it up at a convention.
>>
>>43965078

Haven't yet started playing the expansions, the vanilla game has so much depth I think we'll need another half a year to get bored
>>
>>43953076
I think one of the greatest things about Mage Knight is how little luck dependence there is. Only random chance in combat comes from Summoner enemies, otherwise you have your hand for the turn, you see what the board looks like, and you can puzzle out what you can do if you spend up this much cards and resources and what if you you do this instead.
>>
>>43965926
Even so, I would highly recommend neo jungle and new York expansion, along with steel police and Mississippi if you can find the army packs in stores.

They are a blast.

Oh, and the app is great. We have not touched the physical copy in years. Everything that needs to be streamlined IS, and games can be over in 15 minutes.
I still miss getting the physical copy out, but playing it in a waiting room, bus, or Airplane with a friend/loved one is just so convenient.
>>
>>43965934
Well, then there are enemies that are randomly drawn in catacombs and effectively random enemies at night.
>>
>>43965881
Never played chaos? Damn man, what non existent/relevant respect I had for you has been thrown out the window.

At least play a friends copy 3-4 times during a week or something.
>>
>>43965979
Neuroshima Hex is actually the only boardgame I've got loaded on my tablet. Need to play it some more, take a shot at getting the wife into it.
I assume the expansions on the app are the same?

>>43965999
I don't have a single friend who owns it, somehow, or I would. Seems right up my alley. Watched part of a game a couple months ago at one of the local college meetups, love the board art. Khorne was winning by a landslide, which I've heard you guys say is a common result of new and/or stupid people playing.
Maybe christmas. . .
>>
>>43966058
Expansions are the same, more recent ones in the app I haven't really seen in stores, but art/rules are identical.

As for chaos, there are two phases nooobs go through.

Khorne is op. Then, as soon as they learn to manage him, granting him as few opportunities as possible for dial advancement tokens...

Nurgles op. Without khorne kicking his face in, he just skyrockets those points! It's so unfair and not balanced!

Once they get over playing around these two points, they realise how beautifully assymetrical the game really is and how paying attention to every players goals and methods of winning is crucial. This ain't a solitaire euro points salad!

But you would already know that.

P.s., its weird when one receive two (you)s in another anons post. Uncanny.
>>
>>43965881
I know I'll be getting it when I get the money.

Already got the chance to play it, and it's definitely worth the purchase.
>>
>>43964615

Talisman

I play games for the social experience. I get very little if any joy from winning.

Talisman is the best hit the road and adventure simulator I've ever played. Ive never had a game that wasn't filled with excessive laughter, shit talking, and memorable moments. Toad life mang.

I've got a bunch of other that rank pretty high up there like Nueroshima, Dungeonquest, Thunderstone/Nightfall, Arcadia Quest, etc etc (I like Chaos in the old world, but I've never played with 3 others who gave 2 shits about the universe and wanted to play again after a learning game. Don't even want to think about if I'll ever get to use the horned rat expansion. So I can't love that game yet)

But yeah, talisman.
>>
>>43966606
Talisman is barely one step above monopoly man. I enjoy bringing it out with some beers every once in a while, and it can make funny narratives, but it's so random and tedious that you can't take it too seriously
>>
>>43950030

Speaking of this, what's the best cooperative game that would be appropriate for kids say 9-12? (Christmas shopping myself)
>>
>>43966757
Forbidden Island
>>
>>43966757
Some games that come to mind would be Forbidden Island/Desert, Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, or Escape: Curse of the Temple.
>>
>>43966708

It's quite alright that you don't like it anon, really. The game is pretty much as close to a life of adventuring as you can get. Some people just don't get it, some do.

Just don't go super autistic and scream about random movement or "meaningful decisions".
>>
Anyone played these games?
>the new a Fury of Dracula
>sheriff of Nottingham
>splendor

Thinking of getting those. Also what's the best space game that isn't Eclipse or TI3? My group already had those
>>
>>43966804
I Think you can get closer to the life of adventuring with a true RPG
>>
>>43966815
Sheriff of Nottingham is fun. You have to be in the mood to be a bit silly though, since playing it straight may feel a bit stale. Can't speak for the other 2.

The best space game other than those 2 I would probably say is Exodus: Proxima Centauri.
>>
>>43966815
Splendor is simple easy fun and I have yet to meet a person who wouldn't like it. It's very light, though.

The best space game (I assume you mean area control) is Exodus, as this >>43966856 anon pointed
>>
>>43966815
Sheriff is great. Gets even better when people start roleplaying personalities and quirks at the customs office.
>>
>>43966815
Haven't played splendor, but I'm sure it's popular for a reason, ad that reason certainly isn't theme.

Fury of dracula is fantastic. Last edition was a little more colorful, but the mechanical improvements are fant as toc, love it.

Sheriff is a great little bluffing game. A little lengthy for its weight, but loads of fun.

I'll second exodus, but it's still in that same genre as TI3 and Exodus, roughly. For something different, take a look at cosmic encounter or chaosmos, both very replayable light/middleweight games.
>>
>>43966834

I most certainly agree, but you can learn talisman in 3 minutes, children easily understand it, nobody has to be the DM, you don't have to have a competent DM for that matter, and you can wrap up a game in a few hours. I've never been in an RPG where anything super meaningful happened in that time span.
>>
>>43966919
I can second Cosmic Encounter, didn't think about non 4xish games.

I would also throw in Among the Stars, New Dawn, and Race/Roll for the Galaxy as well.
>>
>>43966919
TI3 and eclipse*
>>
>>43965412

Replying late : yes you definitely can.
>>
>>43966804
In a world where Runebound and Dungeonquest exist, I can't fathom recommending talisman to someone looking to play a non-co-op adventure game.
>>
>>43967146

Don't know what to tell you anon. I think all worker placement games are the same game just reskinned, but you don't see me complaining about them whenever they get mentioned.
>>
>>43967226
No, you just make a post suggesting they try Talisman.
>>
>>43966856
>>43966861
>>43966919
>>43966971
Thanks for the info guys.

My group's problem with Eclipse is really how it ends. We find ourselves ramping up, really getting into it and then... oh, it's over. Just sorta ends arbitrarily . Not to mention the fact that the game only has 8 opportunities to do combat, Feels kinda limiting somehow. I like the euro mechanics but I don't like the euro endgame method. Perhaps TI3 is better in this regard, which is sitting on my friend's shelf waiting to be opened.

I asked about Fury of Dracula because I want a horror game other than Eldritch Horror, which I already have. EH is good, but can be a bit of a slog sometimes and can drag on way too long.
>>
>>43967426

>stop liking what I don't like

Give it a rest
>>
>>43964615
>what's the best game you have ever played
>the best game
>the

I'm going to ignore that and break it down to player counts instead, because I really can't pick a single game that I would call "best ever."

>2 players
Twilight Struggle. Not a wargame, not a euro, odd and "difficult" theme, and every turn feels like the card decks are stacked against you. I've played it maybe 10 times, and feel like I've just scratched the surface of this game. There's just always like 10 things that need doing every turn, but you only have 6-7 actions, and half the cards you'll need to play to do them will somehow fuck you over. On the bright side both players generally feel this.

>3 players
Triumph&Tragedy. Babbie's first wargame. Politicking, area control, hand management, researchable tech, hidden units power, resource management (and protection), 30s-40s Europe. Yeah, probably one of the best 3 player experiences I've had.

>4 players
Probably going to go with Power Grid here. Not much that needs saying about this game really, a solid eurocrap game.

>5 players
Mare Nostrum. For some reason we're seldom 5 players, and I much prefer this to CitOW. Pretty fun production/trade mechanic to this game. Area control, variable player powers, LOTS of talking/shouting around the table as to who should attack who, or not.

>6 players
Dominant Species. Some day I'll maybe stop praising it.

>that isn't TI3?
I've... never tried TI3...
>>
>>43967533
>Mare Nostrum
I'm so damn excited for the new edition of this, first I've heard around here of someone playing (what I assume is) the original.

TI3 ending can have a similarly abrupt feel, depending on how you have it set up, and whether you include the GAME END NOW card in the objective deck, or play to a set VP count.
>>
>>43967598
>new edition
Wait what? This is news to me. I'm going to have to look into that. Will they be rereleasing the expansion as well? We never managed to get our hands on it unfortunately. And yeah, we had the original, I think? At least I don't know of any other published versions.

>include the GAME END NOW card in the objective deck, or play to a set VP count.
I mean I haven't the slightest impression even of TI3, but it kind of seems like the kind of game you set aside a day for, and play until someone wins like they're supposed to, you know? Easy to say with no experience I guess lol
>>
For those of you who sleeve cards in your games, even if you've only done it once, please answer:

Where do you draw the line for when sleeving cards and not sleeving cards?

I'm torn between spending $200 on a shitload of sleeves or saying fuck it by not sleeving anything and let whatever happens happen.

My main issue with it is keeping everything in the original box post-sleeve.
I can't be fucked to into foamcore; I just wanna throw my shit in the box and be done. With sleeves, cards stop fitting in the molded trays.
>>
File: then we shall play in the shade.png (748 KB, 640x791) Image search: [Google]
then we shall play in the shade.png
748 KB, 640x791
>>43967775
There's the 2003 version, which is what I'm assuming you were playing. A new edition was kickstarted this year, and as I understand it, everything in the old expansion is either in the new base game or the expansion it'll be shipping with. I think they're still taking pre-orders at close to the same price as during the KS campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/mare-nostrum-empires

If you decide to go for it, don't get the giant map add-on. Unless, you know, you've got a table the size of australia.

>>43967951
For me, it's a balancing act between how expensive / difficult the cards will be to replace, how much minor damage to cards will affect the game, and how much play they see. Things like cosmic encounter were getting played 3-4 times a week, so those all got sleeved immediately. Twilight Imperium is expensive to replace, but only gets played a few times a year, so no sleeves for that yet.
>>
>>43967495
It's not your liking it that's annoying, it's your borderline shilling of it. Not every /bbg/ thread needs a Talisman recommendation.
>>
>>43967951
If it's a card, it gets (penny) sleeved. If it needs special size sleeves, I get them. I've made only 2 exceptions: Dominion and Sheriff of Nottingham, given that they're fairly cheap, feature like 10000 cards, and I don't play them much anyways.
The extra 5-10 dollars to get special or penny sleeves is worth it in my opinion. Saves on wear and tear, keeps them clean, and the edges safe from those scratched edges they get when people use nails to pick them up.
>>
>>43968135
>penny sleeves
This was the cheapest solution I had in mind.
However, I already have Love Letter and Star Realms penny sleeved.
I. Fucking. Hate. It.
Penny sleeves are too tall and always have a little flap hanging over the card.
Sure once one breaks in the cards initial slipperyness, it's not that big of a deal.
But those little flaps are the bane of my existence.
I wish I could buy the almost-same penny sleeves that were a couple millimeters shorter.
>>
>>43968012
Just had a look over at BGG and yes, it is the 2003 version we have. Man, looking at the kickstarter stuff now, I'm gonna be beating myself up over not discovering it sooner. I'm probably gonna have to postpone any form of preorder till after christmas and new years however, hope it'll still be up. Also that giant map is kind of hilarious.
>>
>>43967951
Of the two games I have that are primarily cards, one of them has sleeves, the reason being they're all the same size and there's atleast 150 of them. Plus the cards required a lot of moving around during a game, and would probably wear itself quickly. The other one has different sized cards and has less than 100 of each size, so I decided it wasn't worth the bother of having extra sleeves that probably weren't going to be used anyway.
>>
>>43968250
I agree, they could be sized to fit standard cards a bit better, but $17 for 2500 sleeves is cheap enough for me to just live with it.
>>
>>43967533
>Dominant Species. Some day I'll maybe stop praising it.
Tell me more about that game. It's always looked interesting to me
>>
>>43963343
You have a character with a provided backstory, who faces and overcomes threats in a fantasy realm,such as exploring dungeons and ruins, or fighting orc armies and dragons, while leveling up from the experience gained in facing those encounters to achieve the strength to face greater foes using stronger moves acquired in their adventures, and dealing with the local populace in a manner affected by their reputation to recruit allies in their quest to achieve their goals.

Jesus christ, man, I've played plenty of RPGs that were less RPG-like than Mage Knight.
>>
>>43969414
>You have a character with a provided backstory
Which has no impact on absolutely anything.
>who faces and overcomes threats in a fantasy realm,such as exploring dungeons and ruins, or fighting orc armies and dragons,
Which amounts to playing cards to generate 1 of 4(?) types of resources.
>while leveling up from the experience gained in facing those encounters to achieve the strength to face greater foes using stronger moves acquired in their adventures
Which amounts to more ways of generating more resources.
>and dealing with the local populace in a manner affected by their reputation to recruit allies in their quest to achieve their goals.
Which is a bonus to generating one of the resources.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an outstanding game. But if you want that RPG feel, Pathfinder card game or, even better, Magic Realms provide a much more RPG-like experience.
>>
>>43969099
Here's a couple of BGG reviews which do a far better job of it than I probably ever would.

Brief review - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1458712/perfectly-adapted-dominant-species-review

More in-depth review - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/561327/top-food-chain

Taken from the shorter review:

Dominant species takes an excellent synthesis of area control and worker placement and makes a riveting game based around a struggle for survival. The mechanics are rock solid, everything works seamlessly and game play is totally engrossing.

Get Dominant Species if you like:
- Player interaction
- Direct and Indirect Conflict
- Worker Placement
- You enjoy hearing the lamentations of your opponents
- You don't mind a very thoughtful game

Avoid it if:
- You believe risk management is a skill that has no place in gaming / you don't like to fight the legions of Chaos
- you cannot devote 2-2.5 hrs to a game (after the beginning longer games, say 4hrs?)
- Tension is not something you enjoy
- Getting killed will make you angry
- You have arachnophobia (seriously, there is a spider)
- You have to choose your player colour
>>
>>43969491
Shrug. To each their own.

Though, your resource count is wonky. I assume you're referring to Move, Block, Attack, and Influence. Which ignores that Heal exists, and that Attack has technically 6 variations (Attack, Ranged, Fire, Cold, Coldfire, and Ranged Fire/Cold/Coldfire) And that the actual physical resource you're collecting, rather than actions you're taking, is Mana Crystals, since those are the only things that persist per turn. And that many of the cards have additional affects that change the use of said "resources", or obliviates them. So there's a minimum of 5 "resources", but more accurately 6, and even more accurately 11, though by the game's count, there's only 1.

This is partly why I've never understood criticism through highly reductive summation of things, since everything sounds stupid, or dismissable, when summed up like that

I mean, when you come down to it, most RPGs are simply attempting to collect the resources of Loot, Damage, Skill ranks, and Bonuses.

I haven't played Magic Realms, so I can't compare it to that. Technically, if we really wanted to go RPG in a Box, Mice and Mystics exists, and that's pretty explicitly exactly what it is.
>>
>>43967951
If the game's hard to replace, or if it's expensive, or if it's important to me, I'll sleeve it. I buy penny sleeves but on some games I may soon replace the current sleeves with premium sleeves.

Only game I don't sleeve that I really should sleeve is Dominion. My storage solution doesn't let me, but thankfully I could buy new base cards if I ever feel like they're too worn
>>
>>43968040

>people ask for a game recommendation
>talisman fits their parameters
>I suggest it

This isn't a very hard concept to grasp. If someone wants a 4x, worker placement, Dex based, war based, or whatever kind of game, then talisman need not be mentioned. However, that's not what people have been asking for.

Still, keep fighting the good fight. I'm going to start tripping in your honor.
>>
>>43969705
You forgot siege regular, fire, cold and coldfire damage :^) The 4 resources was a huge simplification, I admit, but whenever I play a fireball, I don't feel like I've cast a powerful spell, I feel like I've increased my fire siege damage by the indicated amount. That's very unlike playing an RPG.

Mice and Mystics is much closer but the game itself is quite bad so I can't recommend it.
>>
>>43969698
Thanks. Are the mechanics of the game somewhat intuitive? Do they mesh well and make sense with the theme?

Thinking i might get dominant species for xmas.
>>
>>43969963
>Are the mechanics of the game somewhat intuitive?
Hm, I wouldn't say intuitive is the right word, but on the other hand no single mechanic in itself is complex or difficult to understand imo. First game might require a few references to the rulebook, but no worse than that.

>Do they mesh well and make sense with the theme?
Yes and yes. There's a lot going on, 12 different actions to choose from, how opponents will execute their chosen actions, and then dominance cards which can affect the game too. All of that combined with rather limited action availability for each player makes for a pretty complex game overall.
>>
>>43969789
>Whenever I play a fireball, I don't feel like I've cast a powerful spell.

That's a fair point. Some of the cards, in my opinion, do feel appropriately cool (the "Destroy target monster effects" the "Moving on plains is free" one,) while other do definitely feel just bleh. "Wee, a strength 5 blast. I could have done that with Berserk."

I'll take your word on Mice and Mystics. Sadly, I'm relatively broke AND new to the Boardgame scene, so I can only discuss plenty of things by reputation.
>>
>>43966708
>>43966804
Do we need this discussion word for word in every thread? Every thread, "Talisman", "Oh no not Talisman", "Yes, Talisman", "noooo"

>>43969786
Okay let's be a little more honest with ourselves, anon. What did we talk about last time? The game is overproduced which means most people who can afford it are a bit more seriously into games. Those people generally want more for their money; as in more interaction and depth. Talisman is $40 on Amazon. Most people that see this price are going to just get Descent, Summoner Wars Alliances, or any other game in existence over this.

Someone with a spare $40 to spend for a good weed-with-the-girls game might get this but it's so very niche that claiming it fits a recommendation in every thread is a huge stretch. I think this is why you're being accused of "shilling". Let's take a step back from the tangential Talisman recommendations for a few threads.
>>
>>43967598
Speaking of which, I've been fooling with a new endgame model. Tell me what you think, Steev. Instead of going to a specific number of VP, instead the game goes to Players + 2 rounds. So if there are 3 players, it has 5 rounds. If 8 players, 10 rounds. Whomever has the most number of points will win or joint-win at those rounds.

It really seems to give players a kick in the pants to move their ass and do as many things as possible.
>>
>>43970600
You can proxy just about any board game if you try hard enough.

Love Letter, Battlecon (if you don't try to proxy every single character), Hanabi, Skull, Mascarade, and Resistance are all primarily card based, which makes them relatively simple to PnP if you're like me and have thousands of junk Magic cards that can be easily re-used.
>>
>>43971156
Not sure what the practical difference is between that and the normal ended-by-imperium-Rex setup is. Arguably the biggest benefit of that occasionally fun-deflating card is that it encourages people to get stuff done right the hell now, especially when you don't know exactly when it'll rear it's head. A known endpoint will lead to a more climactic final turn, but potentially at the expense of more barren lead-up turns as people prep for the big one, stockpiling ships and command counters.
>>
>>43971251
I already snatched up Resistance (well, Resistance Avalon) and Love Letter. Inexpensive games are a poor man's boon.

I actually was just recently proxying a custom faction in the Game of Thrones card game (2nd edition) . So far, results are inconclusive, which I take as a good sign. The first game (a joust) it barely scraped out a victory, the second game (a melee) it lost rather handily. The generally agreed point is that the Personal Guard unit should be nerfed, which I'm already bouncing ideas for.
>>
>>43971306
The poor bastard who took Mecatol early will have to devote all attention to that if they want to deny 2+ players their secrets. It could lead to some oh-SHIT moments.
>>
>>43971054

>Do we need this discussion?

Not at all. People make a request, I make a suggestion and say why, then a select few shit on it, sometimes they give a reason, sometimes not.

>What did we talk about last time?

You gave your opinion of the game. I considered it exemplary because it was well thought out and explained, unlike what most people seem capable of.

>I think this is why you're being accused of "shilling"

I'm almost positive it's the same shitposter whining about tripping. I'll admit I've done very little to kill the conversation when I could have.

>Let's take a step back from the tangential Talisman recommendations for a few threads.

Where you any other anon I'd ignore the request and point out how the same certain games are talked about in every thread ever, and telling someone to not talk about something that people enjoy while a small vocal few on this board claim otherwise is kind of shit. However, I suppose something could be done, but only because of the above mentioned effort on your part.

Name stays though. We've gone too far for that to change.
>>
>>43967951
The real issue is whether or not the little scratches and nicks cards tend to pick up will bother you. In almost every case if I buy a game it is getting sleeved. And not with penny sleeves. Fuck penny sleeves. I discovered a long time ago that little bits of incidental damage to game components really bugs me, so I do what I can to limit it from occurring. I know, I'm a bit anal. I also hate bringing my games to play to certain locations, because I know the playing space isn't clean. I'll also make sure you wash your hands if you've just eaten something and sit down to play. If we're playing someone else's game I don't give a fuck. There are, however, some games that feature cards that don't really warrant sleeving. These are the games where you're drawing just one card per turn and not constantly shuffling the deck.

Just buy the sleeves. It's worth it.
>>
>>43972110

Took the penny sleeve route myself for my thunderstone (classic) collections. There's like...420 cards alltogether I think, and I'm not about to drop several hundred to sleeve that. Penny sleeves for the win.

Sadly, all the stuff is waiting for a bitching wooden case I'm making to hold it all, and with bags of sleeves and the cards just kind of packed in random expansion boxes, it's become a huge mess.
>>
>>43971956
>and telling someone to not talk about something that people enjoy while a small vocal few on this board claim otherwise is kind of shit
No, I agree.
>>
My xmas list, in no particular order
> splendor
> fury of Dracula
> sheriff of Nottingham
> Dominant species ( unless someone can suggest a better euro, alrdy have power grid)
> machi koro

And maybe Dead of winter, not sure yet
>>
>>43964615
Shadow of Brimstone hands down. It's the game I play the most, and is easily my favourite game. Just itself is a blast, but take the hexcrawl some fantastic anon made on BGG and it becomes a whole new game and 10x more interesting.
>>
>>43972442
Why is Splendor so expensive?
It's 50 here (ausbucks)

I also got my money taken from Ebay trying to buy Biblios and Splendor last year, the seller vanished from Ebay after a few weeks and this was before the better buyer protection is has now.
I still haven't played either of them.
>>
>>43973101
$25 over here, sucks to live in that island, even video games are fucking more expensive.
>>
>>43943219
This just makes me so sad ;_;
>>
So here's something I'd like to hear opinions on.

In ye olden times, well not that long ago but long enough, I was introduced to the board game supremecy. I had a lot of fun with it, but a lot of people did not considering that game ended with everyone losing if people launched enough nukes at each other. The nuclear winter ending was something you saw the vast majority of games. Yet the global commerce idea was very cool, and the mushroom tokens you put on top of areas to show that they were irradiated was also very cool to my teenage self.

Fast forward in time, another company decided to remake the game. They did an unknown amount of research to find the original creator, but apparently he's be AWOL for 15+ years now, perhaps rotting in the ground somewhere. IP in limbo, they were able to get it and remake the game so it could breathe air once again. However, a couple things came about that I'm not too happy with.

>The game is like 160 usd and up. They made a demo version or whatever, but still, that's a lot of money for what amounts to cardboard and plastic chits.
>Unless things have changed as I just looked into this again, in the instructional manual and the BGG listing for the new version supremecy 2020, they list all the members of their team, but not once do they mention the original person who created the board game. I agree with another poster on there and feel like this is really sleazy.

I've got the original one and in expansion in a box that is rapidly falling apart, as it's been tossed around and it's old as hell. But I'm just curious what you're thoughts are on the situation.
>>
File: pic368339_md.jpg (81 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
pic368339_md.jpg
81 KB, 500x351
>>43973706

Shite forgot the pic
>>
Me and a group of buddies play games during lunch at my work, but we're hard pressed to find 5-40 minute games that fit 4-7 and don't take a lot of set up. Any one got some suggestions for some small games we could play?

Some of the regular ones we play include Love Letter, Gubs, Age of War, Dungeon Roll, Fluxx, and Guillotine to name a few.
>>
>>43973888
Bang: The Dice Game and Good Cop Bad Cop work, although not as much with 4-5 as they do with 6-7.

They aren't bad at those player counts, just not as good as above that.
>>
Hey, how long is Rex supposed to take? BGG says 2 hours, but I've heard people say it can go as long as 5 or 6. Anyone have experience with this game? (ideally played with 6 players)
>>
Is one night ultimate werewolf any good?
>>
>>43973888
Avalon, Incan Gold, Masquerade, No Thanks!, For Sale, and Coup come to mind.
>>
>>43974130

I've heard a few people say they prefer it over ultimate werewolf for the most part. It gets rid of downtime for players who die early in ultimate werewolf, but while it claims it gets rid of the moderator, it does this by having you use your phone/tablet to speak the cues for people to open their eyes. Without that you use an egg timer and have someone do the narration anyways.

First part never bothered me, not sold on the second part, but a few people I talk to prefer to traditional WW.
>>
File: yinsh.jpg (952 KB, 2599x1921) Image search: [Google]
yinsh.jpg
952 KB, 2599x1921
Looking for 1v1 games that aren't Chess or Go

Really like YINSH. Haven't played any other GIPF games, but if YINSH is the best of them (as I've heard), I think I'm more interested in other games
>>
>>43974130
It's mafia lite. Which isn't a bad thing cause you can just slam it down if you guys got like 30 mins and get 3-5 games in.
>>
>>43974541
I would still try TZAAR and DVONN from the gipf games, even if YINSH is the best one.

As far as games outside of that line, I would recommend Hive and The Duke.

The Duke is somewhat similar to chess, with wooden squares that change their movement patterns every time they move on the board.

Hive is a game about surrounding the opponent's queen tile with assorted bug tiles that have different abilities to trap their queen or protect yours.
>>
Is Forbidden Stars worth it for what would most likely be exclusively 2 player?

It's extremely depressing how expensive board games are, at least, in the UK.
>>
I am watching Watch It Played's playthrough of Neuroshima Hex. It is my first good look at the most recent edition. I am so torn. I really enjoyed the art of the original edition. But the graphical layout of the latest copy is just smart. The net tokens are also something I would have really liked in my version. The lack of borders looks great, modules work much more clearly with only a single line in the middle of the chit border. It is all fantastic.

But then there is the new art...it isn't bad at all, just not the art I came to enjoy a lot.
>>
My Christmas list-
>Arkham horror expansions (Innsmouth Horror, the king in yellow)
>Cosmic Encounter
>Legends of Andor
>Hive Pocket

I'm going to ask for an Indines game but i don't know which one
>>
>>43975442
If you want more cards and variants then you know what to do with, go with Devastation.
If you want the basic kit, go with War
If you want something that technically counts as a standalone game, but has a lot of complex mechanics and tactics going on in the characters' kits, go with Fate.
>>
>>43975528
What about on the side of expansions? Armory, Strikers, Extendeds for War/Devastation, etc
>>
>>43974913
It's pretty expensive for a two player game. I don't know. I like a lot of things about FS. Two is maybe its strongest playercount, its just been top long with four. Havent tried three. I think I'd be tempted to go for twilight struggle, or wait for star wars rebellion maybe.
>>
File: Elder Sign with key.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Elder Sign with key.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>43944096
Got bored today and measured the pieces
This should fit everything, vanilla+both expansions, but I can't really make inserts with all the content.

All the characters and ancient ones had to be put together with the vanilla cards. Unseern forces and Gates have their own sections, and the same with the small cards.

The smaller tokens (clues etc)aren't accurate sizes in 3D so i'm not sure exactly how far away it is from reality.
I'll measure it all again to make sure I don't goof before I start, but I think it will all fit.
>>
>>43975912
I also will be adding some sort of card tab beneath each stack, so i can pull them out easier.
>>
>>43975867
I have never used the armory and strikers stuff got from Devastation. The base game alone suits me just fine, though I am a bit disappointed I have never gotten those extras to the table.

Etended is fun, alternate standups and character abilities is an easy addition to incorporate, and some of the rpomo character that come with (Juto and Borneo, I believe, coem with devastation extended), are fun.

I got Light & Shadow from the War 2.0 Kickstarter, and I am shaking my head, wondering how I would ever get those cards out of the shrink wrap to see the light of day.
>>
>>43974689
>The Duke
Thanks for the recommend; that looks super cool
>>
>>43976176
No problem. There's another game called Jarl which is basically the same thing. If you end up liking The Duke, the pieces from Jarl can be integrated into it, making it more replayable.

I know a third one is in the works, but that probably won't be out for a year or so at least.
>>
>>43973101
Good question. I noticed soon after Splendor came out it was pretty affordable, around 30 CAD but now it's more expensive for some reason, almost 50 CAD. I don't understand why certain games are so overpriced
>>
>>43976246
It gets played. A lot.

The dice tower guys mentioned in the top 100 video how no matter what you might think of the game when you go to cons or meetups you see it played constantly. I've logged a dozen hours or so on my phone since getting the app in June. Retailers have figured out their copies will sell and they don't have to discount to get rid of any for now.
>>
File: HIRÞ.jpg (78 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
HIRÞ.jpg
78 KB, 680x453
Part of my monthly ritual is looking through analog gaming on kickstarter and telling myself why I don't need their crap and, at worst case scenario, picking up the game after it has been produced.

However, being a huge fan of Norse Mythology, this game has me sold.

It's called HIRÞ.
It's not a historically authentic game, it's a game made in the spirit of what could have been.

Is anybody else interested?
I've never backed a KS before that wasn't already guaranteed to win, so this one has me a bit worried that it won't be funded in time.

If worse comes to worse and it doesn't get funded, then at least I'd save money and I can always just do a print-and-play by drawing the map out and using random pieces I have laying around, but it wouldn't be as fun.

how the fuck do you guys link the page without the system thinking my shit is spam?

What do y'all think about it?

tl;dr historically inaccurate but-in-the-spirit-of Viking strategy game on kikestarter that makes my dick diamonds
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.