[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/ - Board Game General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: IMG_2245-Edit-682x1024.jpg (203 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2245-Edit-682x1024.jpg
203 KB, 682x1024
>letting /bgg/ die
>again
Aiight fuck you guys

BLACK FRIDAY CONSUMERIST BULLSHIT EDITION

Heads up: I was just at Barnes & Noble and, though they didn't advertise it- all or nearly all board games are buy one get one 50% off.

I'm newish to tabletop and picked these casualish games up during the sale:
>Forbidden Island
>Love Letter
>Sushi Go!
>Coup

How'd I do?

Also, what are y'all's analog gaming hauls so far?
>>
>>Forbidden Island
>Love Letter
>Sushi Go!
>Coup

These are the games my friends play almost exclusively. Toss in some Avalon, a little CaH, Bang! dice, and maybe a rare game of Settlers, and that's what my crew rolls with.
>>
>>43856303
Spyfall is amazing.

I like more worker placement games, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, trajan, stone age.

Netrunner, dominion.

Really, just start looking on boardgamegeeks for the top 100 list and sign up for game-exchanges. I think SA + BGG have swaps.
>>
Can anyone recommend some good co-op or low competitiveness games? Ideally with cheerful themes?

By low-competitiveness, I mean where it's difficult to screw over other players as opposed to building your own stuff up and 'attacks' tend to hit everyone. For example Lords of Waterdeep or Dominion.

Also, if co-op games don't have a 'traitor' mechanic or are at least playable without one, that's a bonus. One player being 'GM' from the start is OK though.

Basically, I need games with minimum chances of causing butthurt.
>>
>>43856932
Risk.
>>
>>43856932
Suburbia, Imperial Settlers, Eldritch Horror, Fury of Dracula
>>
>>43856945
nice one. are you going to recommend monopoly next?
>>
>DM at regular group is away promoting his own system at a con
>bring Ninja Burger, ONUW, Saboteur and Guillotine
>Ninja Burger goes down a treat, but drags on a bit due to me not remembering shit
>switch to ONUW
>one guy has the app, but it fucks up with the Seer so he just does the announcing
>first game one guy goes "Oh, I'm a werewolf"
>it's his very first game, we'll give him the benefit of the doubt
>he was the Tanner
>next game, I'm the Tanner, pretend to be the Sage and say the person next to me was a Villager
>she WAS a Villager, and defends me even though I'm clearly kinda suspicious
>next game she goes "Hey, I'm a werewolf!"
>555-COMEON-NOW
>surprise, surprise, she was the Tanner
>>43857159
There are decent versions of Risk (LoTR and Star Wars) and Monopoly (Deal, Tropical Tycoon)
>>
File: epic_box.jpg (89 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
epic_box.jpg
89 KB, 250x333
What's the opinion of this game on here?
Should i get this or star real or both?
>>
Coup is super easy to play without actually owning the game set. All you need is a deck of cards and some d20's for counting money.

I'm still figuring out how to do it with Resistance though.
>>
Have any of you guys ever brought board games camping with you before? I'm going camping with a buddy and I want suggestions. I'm already planning on bringing Star Realms and a deck of cards.
>>
>>43858475
I don't like it quite as well as star realms, but they definitely scratch different itches.

>>43858709
Resistance should be a lot simpler than coup, unless you're trying to include the special cards.

>>43859133
Yeah, I've done it a couple times, get the most result out of light social stuff like codenames, skull, coup, and the like. Everyone burns out too much energy hiking or fishing or whatever for heavier fare in the evenings.
>>
Can somebody give me a crash course on Love Letter? I bought a used copy from a buddy who's graduating and his is missing the instructions.
>>
>>43857033
I'm pretty sure Eldritch Horror and Fury of Dracula are not "cheerful" games.
>>
>>43859898
Shuffle deck, remove 1 card and toss back in bag unseen, deal one card to each player. On your turn you draw a card, and discard a card taking the action on the one you played. At the end of the round highest card (closest to princess) wins a token, first to 4 (or however many) wins the game.
>>
>>43860316
Awesome, thanks.
>>
>>43859898
Give everyone playing a card, then put one card aside for the remainder of the round. On your turn draw a card, then play a card. All the other rules are written on the cards themselves.
>>
>Board games
>nothing but cards
>>
I didn't really make any purchases for black friday per say, but might as well go into my recent /tg/ purchases.

>Rum and bones captain level kickstarter pledge for 125+15 s&h (25 more than cost, not great, but acceptable)
>Arcadia Quest Inferno Pledge
>2 copies of sedition wars. 1 for me (bases for infinity, minis for whatever sci fi rpg, terrain boards to frisbee at local feral animals fuck if i know, and the additional copy for nephew for christmas. He's 12, high time he gets started)
>>
>>43861684
Coup has tokens... made of cardboard. It's a type of board.
>>
>>43859898
>Can somebody give me a crash course on Love Letter? I bought a used copy from a buddy who's graduating and his is missing the instructions.

I can do better than that...

http://www.alderac.com/tempest/files/2012/09/Love_Letter_Rules_Final.pdf
>>
>>43858475

I have no idea how it plays but that is a fuckawful name. Like on one end of the spectrum you have the ones that try too hard to sound cool, then on the other ass end you have the ones that make no attempt at all, which is where "epic card game" sits
>>
File: betrayal at house on the hill.jpg (27 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
betrayal at house on the hill.jpg
27 KB, 300x300
So this game is beyond fun with friends (unless they have an overly competitive streak and get mad when they die)

but is there any other game that captures exploration/random events/RPG elements like it does? Something simple I could easily teach non rpg players.
>>
>>43862379
Tales of The Arabian Nights
>>
>>43862379

You're going to have to give a little bit more than that anon. However

>Exploration, random events, RPG elements

Talisman has all three in spades
Relic if you like the warhammer 40k theme
Dungeonquest
There's those d&d games that incorporate the three somewhat (one was called castle ravenloft?)
Zombicide
Arkham Horror
Fortune and Glory

To name a few
>>
>>43862430
Looks Cool.

How complicated is it/Is it easy to teach to casual board game hobbyists?

>>43862497
>Arkham Horror
I would but I hear that game takes a long ass time to play.

I don't know how to be more specific, all you've given me so far are good examples of what I want. Basically simplified not-D&D that requires no preparation but offers a new adventure every time.
>>
>>43862637

>Arkham Horror

Yeah, prep time is kind of a bitch and the rules a bit to take in, and it's not a short game by any stretch of imagination.

>No prep and a new adventure every time

Let me try to sell you on Talisman, because that's the game that got me into board gaming in the first place.

You've got a board with three rings, and the further in you go the harder it is to not get rekked. You take turns moving d6 spaces around the rings, and most spaces will tell you to drawn an adventure card. Could be a sword, could be a monster, could be a magical fountain, could be anything. There's a metric shit ton of characters to play as. There's a ton of expansions out there that add more variety, more board space, more everything.

It's the kind of game where you and your friends share some grip and sip, hit the road and go adventuring. Only one can win (there's a coop mode in one of the expansions), and sometimes it's the most unlikely person. PVP is certainly a thing if people choose to do it.

The only complaints I've ever heard about the game are...

>RANDOM MOVEMENT IS STUPID WAHHH
Don't be one of those autists.
>CHOICES ARE MEANINGLESS WAHHH
This is wrong. You can go one of two directions, or you can use a fate token to reroll if you want to go somewhere else. There are certainly good and bad choices to be made.
>GAME TAKES FOREVER WAHHH
I can agree with this, sort of. You can power through a game if you really want to, but I feel like that really kills the spirit of the game. There's also no real player cap to speak of outside of how many classes you have available to play as (might run out of tokens though). So yeah, an 8 player game of talisman will take a long time, but you can also just stop playing if you wish and it won't break the game. To be honest, dropping out or getting in early to mid game most likely has very little impact on the game. Usually. Late game entry is silly though, as the winner should be evident by then.
>>
File: Talisman Cover 2nd Ed.jpg (61 KB, 366x500) Image search: [Google]
Talisman Cover 2nd Ed.jpg
61 KB, 366x500
>>43862860
I'll second the love for Talisman. I'm a big fan of the old 2nd Edition stuff. It isn't a 'serious' game and definitely sets off the 'power gamer / win at all costs' types. If you can get over that, then it's hilarious and a lot of shenanigans routinely occur while playing.
>>
>>43862958

Sadly I got into it right after 3rd dropped. I heard 2nd was certainly all sorts of crazy, like the space marine dropping into the world or something like that. Rift hopping shinanigans.
>>
>>43863056
Yeah there's an expansion that includes some characters from 40K like a Space Marine and an Inquisitor, etc. Even with just the 'Dungeon' and 'City' expansions, there's tons to do.
>>
>>43862860
Random movement is stupid, but it's not an issue in Talisman since most of the game is grinding instead of actual progression.
>>
>>43859133
Took Sheriff of Nottingham camping last week, went down pretty smoothly, and you can just pack the cards and the baggies instead of hauling the entire box.
>>
>>43863698

>don't be an autist

Anon, the rules, follow them please.
>>
So, I know this 18 year-old kid. Good kid, but he's planning on starting a board game collection and he's just told me he wants to have several different versions of Monopoly. I don't even know what to say to that.

I don't even want ONE version of Monopoly. So I've convinced him to start by just getting one version, and then if he plays it a lot but wants some variety in how it looks, he can get more versions. I mean, I don't want him not to enjoy a game he enjoys, but I think he'll have much more fun with other games.

What would you recommend to someone if you were trying for "like Monopoly, but good?"
>>
>>43863822
Well, on a more serious note, it really hampers long-term tactics in Talisman. If you really want to buy an axe, you can get to the side of the board with the town easily enough, but once you get there, you have to hope that you roll the right number on your die. You can't plan what you'll do for your next turn because you have no idea what options will be available to you.

Spending fate points on movement rolls doesn't help much, since it's still only a 1/6 chance you'll get what you want.

I like the game, but it just doesn't require much thought to play.
>>
>>43864102

>long-term tactics

And that's where you're screwing up. Talisman does an amazing job of simulating the "hit the road and adventure" theme.

Think of it like this, you want to make money, and you know you need a job to get it. You don't simply proceed directly to a specific job following a specific path with absolutely no variables. Variables are part of life and you have to deal with them. Sometimes your car asplodes. Sometimes you get job opportunities doing something else. Sometimes you just die en route.

So, that's what talisman is all about. You want that crown, you know where to go to get it, but the journey between point A and point B is never certain.

I find people who lean more towards euro style games have a particular distaste for talisman, because they can't think 20 turns ahead like they can with said dry ass euro (and by that you can discern my feelings towards those games)

TLDR You don't play talisman to win, you play it to experience the journey. Sort of like playing an actual RPG.
>>
>>43864007
>like Monopoly, but good?

I'm like 90% sure that is the exact phrase every single person uses when they try to sell people on Catan so go with that.
>>
>>43864230
I use that phrase for Alhambra, collect cash buy properties, go for sets.
>>
>>43864007
Lords of Vegas.
>>
>>43864230
Chinatown will also scratch the negotiation itch Monopoly fans have.
>>
File: mio eyes.gif (666 KB, 365x274) Image search: [Google]
mio eyes.gif
666 KB, 365x274
>>43862430
Any chance a "Book of Tales" Pdf is sitting around anywhere??
>>
File: IMG_20151127_195414.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_195414.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
It's been two years, but I'm finally playing it again.
>>
>>43864789
>that galaxy
What the hell are you doing, anon?
>>
>tfw your friends are pissed at you because they only EVER want to play Eurogames no matter how many times you suggest mixing it up, and you eventually got fed up and told them if you wanted to play stockbroker you'd just trade some actual stocks and use your earnings to start a charity fund for gamers suffering from PTSD and having flashbacks of moving the same goddamn cube over and over again to generate one unit of wheat per turn for six fucking ours
>>
>>43865256
Find a different gaming group. I game with a core group of friends who are flexible, but I also game with a couple other groups so I can get in a variety.
>>
>>43865256

>Eurofags

I know those feels anon. The board game meta in my city skews heavily towards euro games. Manipulating cubes, colors, and numbers without an real reason always felt like what I used to do when I was a small child, and considering I've grown up since then I find it all to be extremely tedious, among other negative terms.

I eventually decided to just host game nights at my place instead of meeting up at the nearby stores/bars. Since then I've only played games I like with friends I want to play with. Never looking back, it's been great.

But like >>43865286 said, find another group. To hell with wasting time with eurofags.

Is there a better word for such folk? Euro snobs maybe? there's gotta be a word out there for people who refuse to detach themselves from euro games.
>>
>>43865286
It's not that I mind Euros on occasion, but I at least want what I'm doing to actually correspond to what it represents in a more direct way, or just go full abstract.

Let's play Chess or let's play Ticket to Ride, but Carcassonne is right in that point where the game itself is great, but the theme and gameplay are actually so unrelated that I find the theme distracting.

>>43865386
I might do that. I have some friends who haven't played board games much that are interested in giving it a shot. Might bring The Resistance, King of Tokyo, Forbidden Island, Arctic Scavengers, Descent, and MAYBE like one Euro when I go.
>>
>>43865458

A solid collection. I'd save descent for last.

>So you guys wanna try something a bit heavier?

And all that good stuff.
>>
>>43865227
Trying out whacky shit. Sbeen fun. Wouldn't do it again, but it's different from the norm. Want to try two ring galaxy with four players next time.

Sardak not has so much mobility, despite being in the backwater of the old galactic sector. Sol spawning babies everywhere, lot of new variants being tried for first time, so its fun to try them out.

Good time being had by all.
>>
>>43863056
Was 2nd edition hilariously unbalanced or something? Should I try to find 2nd edition instead of 3rd? I want to know more about these shenanigans.
>>
>>43865691
Does anyone seriously care about balance in talisman?
>>
File: 2015-11-28 00.30.44.jpg (2 MB, 1918x1512) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28 00.30.44.jpg
2 MB, 1918x1512
Oh boy a box came in the mail today. I wonder what's inside!
>>
File: 2015-11-28 00.31.24.jpg (2 MB, 2622x1474) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28 00.31.24.jpg
2 MB, 2622x1474
>>43866030
Paper so far.
Lots and lots of paper.
>>
File: 2015-11-28 00.32.20.jpg (2 MB, 1291x2075) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28 00.32.20.jpg
2 MB, 1291x2075
>>43866107
First up is Principato.
>>
>>43856932
Kings of Artifice
>>
File: 2015-11-28 00.33.06.jpg (2 MB, 2116x1586) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28 00.33.06.jpg
2 MB, 2116x1586
>>43866123
Since I'm still newish to board games, I figured I would add Dominion to my collection.
>>
File: 2015-11-28 00.33.44.jpg (2 MB, 1712x1494) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28 00.33.44.jpg
2 MB, 1712x1494
>>43866147
After Dominion comes Diplomacy. It looks interesting!
>>
>>43866147
Dang anon, you could have done so much better for a deck building game.
>>
File: 2015-11-28 00.34.17.jpg (2 MB, 1553x2022) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28 00.34.17.jpg
2 MB, 1553x2022
>>43866161
Almost done. I read the summary of this game and it looks insane. I really hope I'll get this to the table one day. It looks a bit complicated, but it'll be alright.
>>
File: 2015-11-28 00.34.55.jpg (2 MB, 1584x1584) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28 00.34.55.jpg
2 MB, 1584x1584
>>43866175
It's all good. I have Nightfall w/ expansions gathering dust. I also have Star Realms that I absolute love playing. Then I also plan on getting Ascension eventually. Dominion was really easy to get in this giant package, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and grab it.

>>43866186
And finally, I got Pillars of the Earth. I hardly know anything about it, but it looks quite interesting. I'm most excited to bring this game to the table.
>>
>>43866219
Bringing back memories. My first real board game I bought, after munchkin. We would joke anyone going to see the king to get a tax break was just his little fuck toy.

Good times
>>
>>43866030
>>43866107
>>43866123
>>43866147
>>43866161
>>43866186
>>43866219
My God Man! Don't keep us in suspense! We want to see what the inside of the box itself looks like, not all the junk that was in it...

Just kidding, nice haul. I'm curious about >>43866186 as I've never even heard of it before.
>>
>>43866161
Diplomacy is a truly great game, but it's pretty difficult to actually get a game started. It really needs the full seven players to be balanced, and a full game takes a whole day. Not to mention that some people can't play this game at all without getting upset.
>>
>>43862637
>all you've given me so far are good examples of what I want. Basically simplified not-D&D that requires no preparation but offers a new adventure every time.
>No Preperation

Have you tried to play any of those games with their xpacs?
Zombiecide in particular is a nightmare to setup, it can take almost 2 hours.
Once you have all the stuff for the game the less you actually want to play it because of time constraints.

Source: I have all the zombiecide stuff, like ALL of it. Started with the season 1 box and it was fun so i got the rest... no longer fun because its a pain to sort and setup.
I have all my cards etc sorted in zip lock bags already aswell so its prepreped.

Battlestar galactica is also guilty of this but to a much lesser extent because theres less things to setup.
>>
>>43867008
Forgot to add, i love playing FoW and 40K so its not that i dont have the patience to setup and play the games. And i certanly dont have any issues with convuluted nonsensical rules.

They just suck the fun out of it once you add all the extras.
>>
>>43867008
Sometimes it's worth it to make a bunch of nested insert boxes you can take out to make some attempt at making setup faster even if it means you can't fit it all in one box. The unwieldy nature of things just makes getting it out a chore in and of itself that you can only hope to assuage it by distancing prep time as much as possible from actually playing it.
>>
>>43864007
Lords of Vegas and Black Gold.
>>
I picked up a bunch of Krosmaster figs that were on supersale on Miniature Market, as well as:
>Mafia de Cuba
>Tales of the Arabian Nights
>Hive
>Welcome to the Dungeon
>Ladies & Gentlemen
>Alchemy! Card Game

I'm giving Mafia de Cuba to my brother since he loves booze and bluffing. Alchemy, Hive and Welcome to the Dungeon seem simple enough, Ladies & Gentlemen is gonna be a good party game if I can get enough people, and Tales is going to be a smash hit with my best friend and his brothers.

I also got Kune v Lakia, but it seems very unbalanced. Does anyone know if there's a way to counter the Princess' advantage?
>>
Anybody played Ortus Regni?

I can't recommend it enough.

And even if you don't want to waste your money on it there's a free demo for iOS and windows on their site.
>>
>>43867106
well ive kinda already got all that done, its all seperated into particular needs, the food/objective items are in their own pouch, all the equiptment and types of spawn cards are the same, the zombies are in whatever carboard box they came in so i can quickly identify them as they spawn, but its just a huge hassle to setup.

Setting up well prior to playing does definetly help, i just dont really get the chance because of a lack of living space hahah. Its usually setup. Immeadietly play. Immeadietly packup.
>>
>>43856932

Co-op: pandemic, ghost stories could have a cheerful theme if you spin it as a "Big trouble in Little China" simulator and add cheesy kung-fu music.

PvGM: Mice and Mystics, Last Night on Earth if you like B movies with zombies
>>
>>43866219
How;d you find that for a decent price?
>>
>>43864007
Convince him to get Monopoly Deal and Monopoly: Tropical Tycoon. That'll scratch his multi-Monopoly itch, and make sure he has good games in his collection. Also, seconding >>43864267, Alhambra is great.
>>43864614
Hell if I know. Hit up the pdf thread, they might have something.
>>
>>43864007

People compare Power Grid to monopoly but I don't see the resemblance. A solid game nonetheless
>>
>>43866186
>>43866219

Never heard about those two, what's this all about then?
>>
And from the stupid/silly questions department: do you guys protect your tokens, chits or cardboard pieces in anyway or just print them out somehow?

And kind of related - anyone tried DIY-ing a existing game? I've seen people making their own versions of Dune but have no idea about the steps involved in printing chits/boards etc:
> https://boardgamegeek.com/image/812719/dune
> https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199567/62nd-monthly-pimp-my-boardgame-contest-october-201
>>
>>43869387
If it's a game I know is going to be played around friends who drink a lot, or are spill inclined, I'll varnish the board. Otherwise card sleeves for anything that requires a lot of shuffling is more than enough for me.

>Recreate games
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/products
>>
File: Thermal Laminator 01.jpg (17 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Thermal Laminator 01.jpg
17 KB, 450x450
>>43869387
You do have some options when it comes to protecting your gaming items from common usage 'ware-n-tear'.

1. An inexpensive Thermal Laminator goes a long way to protecting gaming rules sheets, player boards, etc. I love mine and use it regularly to protect game components or even player gaming aids made by fellow fans of a game. (Generic Laminator pic related.)

2. Clear contact paper if applied carefully can help preserve gaming boards and protect them against liquid spills.

3. For protecting thicker cardboard gaming chits and boards themselves, there's also a product called 'Mod Podge' that's used for 'decoupage'. It reminds me of a variety of basic 'white glue / Elmers glue' that is used to protect paper and card stock items. It comes in gloss and matt finishes and be used to cover boards, gaming chits, etc, sealing them and making them resistant to wear and beverage spills.
>>
>>43869447
I posted the >>43869496 reply. And I've got some questions for you too:

1. What kind of varnish did you use? (I'm guessing it was a spray based varnish) And did you have to do any special prep? (I know that varnish needs the right temp range to chemically cure properly for example, but was there anything else...)

2. Have you had any problems like the boards or chits warping, etc? (My only issue with varnish is that some kinds tend to 'Yellow' with age - we're talking 20 - 25+ years.)

And thanks for the link!
>>
>>43869538
Yes spray clear acrylic, matte or glossy, I've just used what I have on hand for finishing minis. Glossy will have extra shine but also a harder more protective finish. Just treat it like you would when priming/finishing minis: very light coats, start spraying off the item, and move evenly across the target. I've heard if you get too close with paper products you can cause bleed through so I always stay back a reasonable distance from it.

No issues so far but I only took this practice up in the last year after seeing video related. I then searched BGG for threads about varnishing and went from there. There doesn't seem to be a single miracle product or way to avoid age of all kind on the board, but if I'm playing a game for 25 years, it's gonna get worn no matter what and that's cool.

https://youtu.be/nYSn2Sep_nA?t=125
>>
>>43869447
>>43869496
>>43869538
>>43869620

Thanks peeps! I'll read up, next month I want to start making foam inserts for my games and I'll also probably start protecting them. I already use card sleeves but had no idea what to do about the chits and modular board game pieces.

Once again thanks a lot!
>>
>>43869620
Thank you! On the plus side the varnish for minis has gotten better over the years. I've got minis from the 80's that have yellowed, but newer stuff seems to be better.
>>
>>43867008
As someone who owns every single expansion for Arkham Horror, and plays it once a week by forcing my partner to play it with me this is very much the case. Our dining room table is just Arkham Horror in stasis until Sunday comes around and we play. Before I made this tradition it got played once a half-year, if that
>>
>>43869673
Yeah I think if you go with Testor's or one of the Krylon products (they even have one designed not to yellow for paint/paper products) it'll be fine.

>>43869664
As someone who took up foam core at the end of August there's a couple things that I learned while making the first couple of inserts that are now rules I live by.

1) Don't spend a lot on this at the start, I got a new utility knife, but only spent 4 bucks on it including a pack of 5 blades. Sheets of foam core are gonna run $2-4 per and it'll usually take at least a sheet per insert so it can get expensive. You don't need an expensive self healing cutting mat either, go to the post office and grab 4-5 med/large priority mail boxes. They're free and stacked 2 deep will protect any surface, it'll dull your blade faster than a mat but you spent $1.25 on blade right?

2) Steal ideas from BGG; you should spent at least an hour looking at inserts for the game you're about to do, poring over every detail, because the guy who created it probably went through a lot of on-the-fly revisions to get it right.

3) Draw a loose plan up, and then lay everything out in the box, and use scrap pieces to approximate walls. The math might seem right on paper but doesn't always work out so you need to do both.

4) Plan on 1.5 sheets of foam core per game for a while, you're gonna have on the fly revisions. I finished my Flash Point insert, was laying the card display into place and realized one corner was 2mm shorter than the other three. So I remade the support walls for it, and another corner was 4mm off. Remade, 3mm off. Said fuck it, got the original 2mm wall and set it into place with a gap between it and the floor of the insert. As it set I split another piece down the foam, put glue on it and slid it under flush as a shim. No one can tell now, and since a component box sits there I forget about it most of the time.
>>
File: pic1962021_lg.jpg (240 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic1962021_lg.jpg
240 KB, 1024x768
>>43869802
>cont.

5) Your first few aren't gonna look as perfect as you want. Those pictures on BGG are from people who have done dozens of inserts. They have spent loads of time and money on these, you will get there, but it will take investment in time, money, and patience. Start by just getting one together to keep stuff in place, and come back to it later if you need to.

Pic here is the Flash Point insert that inspired me, had to make revisions because I only had base game and needed room for board instead of separate box.
>>
File: Finished insert.jpg (876 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
Finished insert.jpg
876 KB, 1836x3264
>>43869827
This is what I ended up with after about 5 hours bent over my desk and my back aching. I still hate the finger slot for lifting out cards, but since I only had a large utility knife (need exacto for this) and tried 3 different times to get it clean cut, I'm ok with it. I was nearing the end of the foam core and realized for a first attempt it was pretty solid.
>>
File: Cutting Tools.jpg (209 KB, 1000x731) Image search: [Google]
Cutting Tools.jpg
209 KB, 1000x731
>>43869802
The trick with cutting most things is to make sure you're using a sharp blade. Getting a simple utility knife where you can break off the old dull tip and get a sharp new one (and the blade replacements are inexpensive) is the way to go. Next up a simple metal ruler or two (like the kind used for drafting with a non-slip cork base and a longer yard length metal ruler) will work wonders with keeping your cuts straight. Just make sure you keep the knife vertical. You can also make simple tools of your own to help keep the cuts vertical.
>>
>>43869866
Yeah I went with the kind that uses angled razor blades, but replace the blade pretty fast. My issue is rounded corners and circular cuts, I have a surgical knife from a stitch removal kit pilfered from my orthopedic surgeon buddy, but I don't have the steadiest of hands for small work.
>>
>>43856932
Space Alert
Race for the Galaxy

Though, in honesty, my group judges how good a game is by how much it ruins our friendship.
>>
File: Dexter Cutter 01.jpg (31 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
Dexter Cutter 01.jpg
31 KB, 600x441
>>43869802
>>43869827
>>43869861
Sweet! I think I have pictures of some of your other work. Next time don't worry about making the 'finger hole' for lifting out the cards 'round'. Cut a slightly larger square shape and be done with it! ;)

If you ever want perfectly 45 degree angle cuts (for joining corners together for example) check out 'Dexter' cutters for artists mats that surround paintings. I use them to create perfect corners for my 40K foam-core terrain, but they'd work fine for this too.
>>
>>43869914
Yeah I went full squared everything when doing Elder Sign the next day; Flash Point was more of a learning experience/battle of will to prove I could make something half pretty.
>>
File: jewelers saw.jpg (119 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
jewelers saw.jpg
119 KB, 700x700
>>43869977
If you really want to do curves, then get yourself a small 'jewelers saw' and you can cut round shapes with ease.

> Damnit Captcha - enough with the Turkey pics, now you're just making me hungry!
>>
>>43870010
Yeah but that'd also conflict with my desire to be as cheap as humanly possible so I can spend more money on the games. I got a copy of SDE for half off last year, and spent months painting. Then I figured out that despite getting lower cost brushes, and using more free postal boxes, the cost of the paint would bring the cost from half off to 150% price. It's currently sitting in the box 3/4 finished while I wait for my LGS to run a sale again so I can grab the last 4 or 5 colors I need.
>>
>>43870062
>Using cost this many times in a sentence
I need coffee
>>
File: Diplomatic Immunity.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Diplomatic Immunity.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
>>43866161
is there any notable differences between that version and pic related?
>>
>>43869898
Schadenfreude-fueled metas a best.

>>43870252
>>43866161
I'd been thinking about getting diplomacy, but I think subterfuge scratches that itch perfectly well.
Speaking of which, we still should totally run a /bgg/ game of that.
>>
>>43871285
STEEV! You are so grounded! I just looked at the Devil Pig site, and they're hosting a new KS, as well as putting out more counter sheets, etc. I blame you for this and the resulting hole in my wallet! (Sure, you didn't really do it, but you're not around to deny it either when I blame you to my wife.)
>>
>>43871478
Yeah. I'm trying to decide how badly I want to throw in on that. I mean, obviously I want the KS-exclusive sheets, as much as I also want to scold them for doing exclusives (even if they almost always make them available in some fashion later). And my present storage is definitely getting strained. But paying three digits for storage solutions hurts.
>>
File: cry.jpg (74 KB, 620x498) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
74 KB, 620x498
>haven't bought new board games in a while
>see the holiday coming up so excited to see this page
>decide to call up my FLGS to see if they have some of these in stock
>found out that they've shut down permanently

Hold me /tg/. Where did I go wrong? Maybe I should've bought more stuff!
>>
>>43871631
My big draw was the compendium of all the rules. The storage containers are ok, but it's mainly the compendium and errata all in one neat package that's appealing to me.
>>
>>43871702
Unfortunately, hard economic times are killers for luxury items like games and hobbies. My favorite FLGS closed down several years ago. Great owners, bro-tier staff and regular crowd, regular events, etc. And they just couldn't hold the line when the economy took a dump. Sad.
>>
>>43871788
>Sad for the loss of your FLGS
that means a lot considering your name
>>
>>43871754
I like the look of the compendium, but I don't know how much use I'd have for it. I've got the rules and special abilities and whatnot pretty well memorized, just pull stuff out for scenario instructions.
>>
>>43869387
>anyone tried DIY-ing a existing game?
I'm making my own One Night Vampire cards like I did ONUW, because fuck paying 25 bucks for those components.

I'm also going to make DIY versions of Stray Thieves and Maskmen to have simple microgames. Better than spending $20 each plus intern. shipping. Sometimes being a cartoony artfag pays off.
>>
>tfw have buddy who loves asymmetric "players vs GM" type games
>But only when he gets to be in the GM role
>Refuses to play otherwise
Anyone else know this guy?

Give someone else a turn, jackass.
>>
File: Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg (2 MB, 2416x1920) Image search: [Google]
Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg
2 MB, 2416x1920
>>43872556
There are many sorts of "That Guy's" in the world - this is one of them.

>>43872522
>>43869387
>And kind of related - anyone tried DIY-ing a existing game?

Yeah, I've done print-n-plays. I've made several 'travel copies' of "The Duke" using magnets. I made my own larger board, and put magnets in each square. The playing chits have sheet metal in them and were laminated once they dried.
>>
>>43872308
I'm a sucker for stuff in a single book or binder. And I don't really need the 'unit sorting boxes' as I just took the inserts out of the Army boxes and put all the different units in labeled zip-lock bags into their respective army boxes. (Though what do I do with the Italians now? - 1st world problems...) And of course the extras and add-ons seem appealing.
>>
>>43873072
Yeah, I'm doing the exact same thing you are.
Still haven't punched out benny & co, but they'll probably just get crammed into the german box.
>>
>>43864789
What game is this?
>>
>>43872977
>that lobotomy needle next to the game board
>>
>>43875233
>failure to recognize twilight imperium
Pleb detected.
>>
File: Spongebob.jpg (80 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Spongebob.jpg
80 KB, 900x900
>>43857285
Almost forgot:

>guy who'd done the announcing has had enough, asks me to do it
>mfw I describe the village we're all in as the swinging capital of the country, describing all the various roles in the lewdest possible terms
>mfw I can hear people giggling like

Sometimes, life is good to me.
>>
>>43875371
*giggling like loons
>>
>>43875275
Actually that's just the side view of a flat-head screw driver. I can't remember if it's from my PC repair kit or my glasses repair kit. It is small.

>>43875371
People think my 'Trip' is ironic. I wonder if I should tell them I lifted it from one of your comments about being a bad gamer? ;)
>>
>Black Friday has been and gone
>Corto isn't any less expensive on Amazon
Maybe in the January sales...
>>43875665
>one of your comments
I've been to bed since then... could you remind me what exactly I said?
>>
>>43876229
It was months ago - someone was whining in a /bgg/ thread about the usual 'Stop liking what I don't like' malarkey to some new gamer and you commented about not being a 'jaded fun hater' which struck me as amusing and I stole it for my Trip.
>>
Should I get zombicide season 3 and maybe some expansions right now?

or wait until black plague comes out?

I dont own any of the zombicide games nor have i played it before.
>>
>>43877958
The first step is actually doing some research to see if you like the game before buying it. I've got Season 1 and some extras, but haven't bought any additional stuff as my group has been good with what I've got. You'll want to do a bit of research before dropping a big chunk of change on it. Other than that, you'll have to decide if you want modern zombies or fantasy zombies. :)

Try the pastebin for suggestions on video reviewers on Youtube as well as other resources.

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU
>>
Goddamit. I've seen Starcraft: Brood War TBG at an acceptable price and didn't buy it. Now I can't find it anywhere under $100.
>>
File: Forbidden Stars - FFG.png (994 KB, 718x722) Image search: [Google]
Forbidden Stars - FFG.png
994 KB, 718x722
>>43878907
Are you a huge fan of Starcraft in particular, or simply a fan of that game's mechanics? Because if it's the latter, then take a look at FFG's 40K based "Forbidden Stars".
>>
>>43878907
Only doing this because I'm not going to bid on anything til the new years.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199547/item/4276105#item4276105
>>
>>43879287
Temptation to overbid on his whole twilight imperium set and make my work foot the shipping bill: rising.
>>
>>43879536
Yeah he's got a lot of stuff cheap, War of the Ring for $20 is tempting, as is the WoW board game, which I know is overly long, and not very good, but damnit I love those coffin box games for being so very pretty.
>>
Just ordered Sheriff of Nottingham as a birthday present to myself. I've heard good things about it, so I'm stoked.

What can you tell me as someone who knows nothing about the game?
>>
>>43881273
It's about bluffing. It's garbage unless you're into it, and then it becomes amazing. Try role playing.
>>
>>43881411
Good. My roommates and I love bluffing and fucking each other over in Coup, so this should be a good one.

Although it's the honest guy who always wins.
>>
>>43881469
My group is more crunchy and dull than most groups so in Nottingham I enforce a rule that you have to declare the country you're from and try to act like it.
>Nein! Es gibt nur Äpfel in meiner Tasche! Schauen Sie nicht drin!
>>
File: pic1512978.jpg (4 MB, 1665x2350) Image search: [Google]
pic1512978.jpg
4 MB, 1665x2350
Finally found this gem after 15 years of struggling to remember what its name was, when I saw it on the shelf at my FLGS I had to grab it. Had fond memories of being a middle school chess club nerd and playing this for a change of pace.

Its like Mount and Blade as a tabletop, I fucking love this thing.
>>
File: 1360811640725.jpg (111 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1360811640725.jpg
111 KB, 960x720
>have been playing Euchre with friends all my life
>someone breaks out NYET! at our gaming night and tells me it's like an even better version of Euchre
>I very much enjoy the art style with classic Soviet iconography and the goofy animals but remain highly skeptical
>mf after our first game
>>
Cosmic Encounter?
>>
>>43882116
>better version of Euchre
Anon...
>>
>>43856303
Bought Tide of Iron plus Fury of the Bear expansion plus the scenario book for like $91 after shipping. Usually costs around double that. So tempting to get Stalingrad too since my girlfriend was geeking out but FFG shipping costs so much we would save nothing.

Also bought Epic and Star Realms. They seemed interesting and both together on amazon were $24 so it got me my free shipping on n another item. I would've picked up SO much more but we thought we were going to be short a bunch of money.

Nevertheless, 3 games and an expansion coming! Getting hype.
>>
>>43878103
Another anon, I've been looking around but I haven't found a reliable answer, I was wondering if anyone knew if black plague is going to be compatible with seasons 1 - 3, or if the cards will have different backs to them?
>>
>>43884541
I have no idea - you could actually try contacting them via their web site or via the KS page.
>>
>>43884541

>Magic
>New equipment system

I'm going to say no, but possible with house rules. Just a guess though.
>>
>>43881891
Some guy gave that to me when I was a kid. The rules were missing and so were the dividers which let you set up your army in secrecy. I still had a fuckton of fun just playing with the miniatures and acting out little battles.
>>
I moved last year, and it's taken almost that long to realize just how different my usual game group is here compared to where we used to live.

Complete shift from an almost completely Euro-centric group, to a completely Ameritrash-friendly group.

As someone who digs big messy games and shit like what Flying Frog puts out, I've been -extremely- lucky this last year.
>>
>>43879088

Both I guess but I love the SC setting. And I already have the base game.

>>43879287

Oh man, thanks!
>>
>>43866283
I have yet to look at the instructions, but apparently it's a highly-rated game, so I look forward to playing.

>>43866672
Yea, it's one of the weirdest games I've ever seen. My main gaming group is Ameritrash and most Euro we get is Catan every now and then. I saw this game and decided I had to own it for the sole reason of seeing my friends' reactions, and then maybe getting to play it if I'm lucky enough.

>>43866714
I'll see what I can do about this. My gaming group is 2 regulars, 1 off-and-on, and misc. others who only play board games because I ask them to. And if we're gonna take a whole day for games, if I can't even get them to do so for TI3, they certainly won't for Diplomacy.

>>43868520
I traded some video games for them all. I'm steering less away from vidja and more towards board games, card games, wargames, and miniatures games.

>>43868820
Google will tell you everything you're wanting to know.

>>43870252
Unsure. You might want to lurk BGG and search for version differences of that game.
>>
>>43881891
I have this and the old bookshelf version of Acquire as well. I haven't played it in decades, but it's still a cool game.
>>
>>43860408
There's also a Tabletop episode.

>>43862379
Been playing Eldritch Horror recently, it's hella fun. Complicated to set up but easy to play, cooperative problem-solving and monster-bashing. Taught my kid sister the rules last night. The game also has "quick reference" rules on the back of the rules packet. It's also much less tedious than its more famous cousin, Arkham Horror.

>>43882116
Welcome, friend.
>>
>>43889421
I hear that Eldritch Horror is a new and improved version of Arkham Horror. I can't play the latter anymore because everything is so procedural and formulaic after playing it so long. We actually ended up going back to Betrayal as our survival horror game.
>>
>>43869387
Yeah, I've DIY'd a few games, because poorfag. Found reskinned versions of Carcassonne, Alhambra, Tsuro, Coup, Werewolf, Can't Stop, and built 'em with chipboard and home-printed sticker paper, sprayed with acrylic varnish afterwards for durability, The Duke is next in line.

Regrets? Not being able to support the creators and lesser-quality components.
>>
>>43889748
That is true. I also find it more interesting lore-wise because the map is the entire world, not just the city of Arkham. There are a dozen or so different characters you can play, and the art is really great. For the last game I played I used the Actress, who can switch her stats around on her turn (flavorfully, playing different roles). My SO likes to play the Redeemed Cultist, who has low sanity but doesn't afraid of anything.

http://www.boardgamequest.com/eldritch-horror-board-game-review/

I just got the Antarctica expansion, but haven't tried it yet.
>>
Managed to pick up Twilight Struggle at a LGS. Got quoted $60 USD after the owner learned it was out of print. Did I get hosed, kinda?
>>
>>43891401
Kinda. It's not out of print, just between runs.
>>
>>43862497
>talisman
Don't listen to this fucker, talisman will ruin friendships, its just as bad as mario party.
>>
>>43891448
Cool, works for me. Apparently Vassal can run it, I'll have to use that while school is still in session
>>
>>43862199
Perhaps, but it is related to the Resistance family of party games, in which you play your opponents more than you play the rules, thus making them shitty games in general.
>>
>>43891561

It was all fun and games until you compared majestic talisman to mario party anon. Now you've gone too far.

Seriously though, if you play with people who like to roll the assassin or the thief and spend the entire game fucking over everyone else, the problem isn't talisman, lol.
>>
>>43892304
>all social games are shit
What's wrong with you?
>>
>>43893412
He probably meant something less blatantly retarded than what he said. I mean resistance is a pretty stupid game. Taken in its most vanilla format, doesn't consist of much beyond "do the spies lie convincingly".
But yeah only an idiot or a diehard eurofag would discount all games where predicting/manipulating opponents is a central element. Plus the only real connection coup has to the resistance is artistic.
>>
Greetings /bbg/
I'm a newfag to the board and the hobby alike and I wonder what can you tell me about Lords of Waterdeep.
I like the theme but I worry if there is too much snowballing, my friends really hate that on competitive games and I doubt they'll have fun playing catch-up every match if the snowball is too big of an issue.
>>
>>43894149
I don't have a ton of experience with LoW, but most worker placements have strong engine-building mechanics, which do tend toward snowball effects if some players are making significantly more mistakes than others. Something with more direct player conflict that might allow players to gang up on someone in the lead might be preferable? Kemet comes to mind as a great game that's hard to snowball, has a ton of depth and replayability, and isn't too complicated for a newer group.
>>
>>43894243
Gonna give it a look, thanks m8.
>>
>>43894149
Fairly bland worker placement. I wouldn't say it has a snowballing issue but you can definitely get shit on as soon as you draw your lord card. Go for Yedo instead, just got a nice new reprint with much better components.
>>
>>43889421
>>43889748
With even just the base game, I'd recommend playing Eldritch Horror with the rules for focus tokens added in the Mountains of Madness expansion. All you need are stand-ins for the tokens themselves.

For one action during the movement phase, you can draw a focus token (maximum of two) which you can spend at any time to re-roll a single die, just as if you spent a clue token. It doesn't change the balance very much at all, but it really helps to remove the sting of not being able to do any actions on your turn after a failed encounter that you need to complete.

>>43894149
The theme in Lords of Waterdeep is, unfortunately, a bit weak. There's not much to make the cubes feel like fighters, wizards, rogues, or clerics.

But I don't think it has snowballing issues at all (though I haven't played with the expansion). Many of the intrigue cards are targeted, and can be used to bring down the player in lead. All of my games have been close with the hidden VPs being the deciding factor.
>>
>>43889876
>>43872977

Awesome, thanks. When I'll get board I'll try make a proper project out of it.
>>
>>43893704
>the only real connection coup has to the resistance is artistic
Well, The Resistance and Coup are meant to be part of the same setting, like how that one version of Love Letter is "totally" in the same "world" as a bunch of other AEG games.

http://www.alderac.com/tempest/products/

But yeah, there's no REAL connection.
>>43894149
If you want a worker placement, I'd suggest Viticulture: Essential Edition... then again, my fanboner for Viticulture could block out the sun.
>>
Alright, guys:

Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age and why?
>>
>>43894357
You could always invest in a set of DnDeeples, they help a bit with game immersion.
>>
>>43896693
Stone Age seems like a more solid game, it's not just placing workers to collect cubes to fulfill card requirements and score points. There's more to do than deciding which color you're gathering this turn, strategy is deeper, decisions more meaningful.

There's worker placement and management, resource generation, set collecting and variable game length, you can rush or stall endgame depending on your strategy.

Overall crunchier and more satisfying than LoWIMGO. On the downside, it's a bit harder to teach and experienced players will have an edge over newcomers.
>>
>>43898978
I really like Stone Age too - there's an online version on board game arena that does book-keeping and makes it even easier to play / teach.
>>
>>43898978
>>43899890

Thanks anons.
>>
are there any games similar to Clue?

kinda want to have a board game night with some friends but I want to stay away from the "typical" board games even though they are classic and everyone knows them
>>
>>43903103
Kill Dr Lucky is sort of an anti-Clue, you move around the mansion, collect tools and sabotage the other players to kill the Doctor before anyone else can, you get a DIY version from Cheapass Games for free.
>>
>>43903103
Mysterium is often described as Clue + Dixit, so there's that, though your experience as the ghost depends on how much you like looking at your friends having fun over actually doing stuff. For mystery solving in general, there's T.I.M.E. Stories and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, though both have limited replayability, with the former garnering complaints due to being rather expensive for its small amount of content. The latter receives high praise though.

Then there's hidden movement games if you want to think and deduce stuff; Fury of Dracula (3rd edition just released), Letters from Whitechapel, Scotland Yard (both of these play relatively the same?), and Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space (cheap Print n Play available).
>>
>>43903663
>Kill Dr Lucky
that game looks pretty cool. definitely something i was thinking of.

>>43903751
ill have to check out some of those games. thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>43903103
Android (boardgame, not Netrunner) is a sci-fi euro-y murdersolver. You might want to check that out and see if it works for your group.
>>
checked out the local game shop today

one corner warhammer, GW shit, muh 5 figs 4 $50 shitting
one corner d&d manuals and tokens anyone sane will pirate
one corner meme games for normies so stupid they're just a one-upped monopoly
one corner generic fantasy slop with the obligatory bikini elves

and right down, tucked away. three fucking hex wargames at unbelievable markup. The other two historical games weren't even hex

Now I just want to say, fantasy killed wargaming. Fuck all of you greased pizzas for bringing this to come about
>>
>>43904204
The problem with wargaming is that most grognards learn one system and hump the chits until they disintegrate.

Any new system tends to fix the "non realistic" portion of the last and ends up becoming more and more complicated to all but the vets.

Fantasy can bypass that by not being so caught up with recreating an experience according to history and focusing on something fun.
>>
Wondering if anyone can help me out here.

I'm a pretty big fan of Thunderstone Advance, and I've got most of the expansions. I like it enough that I'd love to go about collecting the original sets as well, but I can't really seem to find details on just how many expansions there were or where to get them. I'm assuming most of them are probably out of print or something by now.

Any tips on where to look? Amazon has a few but they're crazily priced...should I expect that everywhere I look? Are there some expansions that are worth skipping even if I'm a collectohal? And is it worth picking up worlds collide if I want to get the original sets?
>>
>>43904483
From BGG, arrows are boxed sets which should be reasonably priced still, if you look hard enough. Promo card prices vary wildly, depending on seller, but tend to be expensive collector items.

*Thunderstone Avatars
*Thunderstone: Blade Trap Promo
*Thunderstone: Death Sentinel Promo
->Thunderstone: Doomgate Legion
*Thunderstone: For the Dwarf Promo
*Thunderstone: German Promo Pack Harrulier (Harruli)
->Thunderstone: Heart of Doom
*Thunderstone: Promo Pack
*Thunderstone: Promo Pack #2
->Thunderstone: Thornwood Siege
*Thunderstone: Vicious Promo Pack
*Thunderstone: Vision Promo
*Thunderstone: Werewolf Promo Pack
->Thunderstone: Wrath of the Elements
>>
>>43864211
There's thinking 20 turns ahead because there's a clear best way to win (Pandemic), and there's thinking 20 turns ahead because the game has been designed with extremely interesting, hard choices and your foes could throw a wrench into those choices at any time (TI3). Don't get me wrong, TI3 is by no means perfect, but you can actually construct a strategy in that game and another person's strategy or tactics can fuck you over, and your entire decision-making process will need to change or account for potential wrenches.

As a fan of long-term 4X-style games like TI3 who hates Talisman, I can for sure say that I don't like it because there simply isn't anything interesting going on. It's a lot of waiting for your own turn, then when your own turn happens, most of it is out of your control with only the choices of which direction to I move, do I combat, do I take the loot (none of them interesting). I'd say, as a fan of CRPG's and a D&D player, it does a poor job of representing the best RPG's have to offer.
>>
>>43858475
Haven't played Star Realms, I can tell you that every I know who's played Epic has enjoyed it, and I've seen several people go buy additional copies to play with more people.

we describe it as the bastard child of Magic the Gathering and Hearthstone, with no sense of moderation.

You get 1 gold per turn to cast cards, many of which cost 0. The 1 cost cards can be pretty insane. An 18/18 with Breakthrough (trample) is a 1 cost, as is a "Tap to put target creature from a graveyard into play under your control" necromancer.

Just huge shifts in power every turn.
>>
>>43858709
Red cards and black cards represent Evil and Good, with the King of Hearts as the assassin, and the King of Spades as Merlin.

Once everyone knows their role, black cards approve a mission team, red cards reject it, and black cards pass a mission, red cards fail it.

Pretty simple.
>>
Im getting fief: france 1429 for my birthday. Any opinions on it here?
>>
>>43906310
Hope your group ain't AP prone.
>>
>>43906511
>AP
What does that mean?
>>
>>43906898
Analysis Paralysis
Basically bogging down the game for other players while your brain ticks over every possible permutation for your move looking for the most optimal one.
>>
>>43906940
>Analysis Paralysis
Heh, recently got GMT's Churchill which actually addresses this - taken directly from the rules:

4.6 Five Mississippi
The game can be tedious if players think too deeply on the
placement of every marker. If this starts to happen, count five
seconds out loud, and if the offending player has not played yet,
the player to his left places the marker for him.
>>
>>43904406
>Muh historical realism!
Yeah, fuck those guys and their encyclopedic rulebooks. Every programmer, engineer or mathematician can tell you an elegant system is the simplest, most efficient one, which gets the job done with the least amount of rules/code/parts.
>>
>>43907397
There is something to be said, though, about systems on the far opposite end of the spectrum.
Campaign in North Africa and Fire in the East sell on complexity alone.
>>
>>43907420
Which is what makes hardcore wargames such a niche market product.
Wargamers are usually history buffs first and gamers second, they enjoy minute details few non-wargamers have any patience for. Also, some are elitist pricks who look down upon other games, and tend to build very exclusive (as in "GTFO, newfag plebeian") communities.
>>
>>43907537
It's a bit of a shame really, there seem to be quite a few interesting wargames out there - Washington's War, the COIN games, Rommel in the Desert, East- and WestFront (or EuroFront kek), Wilderness Wars. Though I suppose they don't necessarily fall under the "hardcore wargames" category, except for EuroFront.
>>
>>43907537

>GTFO newfag

If I was at a computer id do the story justice, but I'm on a phone so you get the shitty tldr version.

Guy I know picks up bolt action, assembled it, comes to store. People won't play him because it's not painted. Miffed but not to be dissuaded, he paints them and comes back.

>"anon that's the wrong color. The year that force went to war the pigment they got shipped was delayed so they had to use this instead and blah blah blah"

How that scene hasn't curled up and died is beyond my comprehension.
>>
File: remove hasperat.jpg (139 KB, 707x530) Image search: [Google]
remove hasperat.jpg
139 KB, 707x530
>Loads of good shit on sale at coolstuff / miniaturemarket
>It's almost entirely stuff I already own
>>
>>43910621
12hrs left on the black edition of Star Wars Risk: Ackbar's Gambit.
>>
>>43911549
Where at? Amazon? Guess 40% off isn't nothing, might be a decent gift for sister's kids. Got them Jamaica last year and they still haven't played it, though.
>>
>>43911667
Yeah it's currently only 7 bucks more than the crappy edition at Amazon, I've let people know who have my wishlist they need to get on that shit today, and I'm ordering it for my brother in law right now.
>>
>>43910621
>loads of good shit
Like what? On miniaturemarket, the only thing that's on sale is the shit they can't sell and dead games.
>>
>>43912142
I have a soft spot for dust tactics.
Still can't bring myself to get into it, though.
>>
>>43856303
i know somebody who is addicted to coup, he wont play any other table top game, he has a problem
>>
>>43913215
Ah yes, a very serious problem. It's called being a casual tard.
>>
>>43913234
found the kek
>>
>>43913215
Just convince the entire rest of your group to do nothing but duke, duke, coup him until he ragequits and agrees to do something else.
>>
I'm trying to get into boardgames with my gf, she's buying me forbidden island and get bit for christmas, can anyone recommend any good two player games?

because I have no friends
>>
File: gf recs.png (2 MB, 1625x1012) Image search: [Google]
gf recs.png
2 MB, 1625x1012
>>43914406
All have worked great with the wife; not in that image is Pinata, which I keep meaning to add now that I've played it, but is a really nice light dueling game, and a definite improvement on Balloon Cup.
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6 MB, 1040x3642) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6 MB, 1040x3642
>>
>>43914406
Try to get Hive or Jaipur, even Lost Cities
Great intro 2 player board games.

On a side note, personally I prefer Forbidden Desert much more to Forbidden Island (so try checking that out or Pandemic, same designer)
>>
Got Council of Verona and after a couple games it seems there's not a lot of replayability... Am I doping it wrong? Anyone else played a game that felt repetitive and formulaic?
>>
>>43906511
>>43906940
Holy shit it's me playing any social deduction game
>>
>>43856303
Forbidden Desert is better but good choices, I have all of those
>>
>>43856932
Co-op-
Pandemic/Forbidden Desert
Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror (I recommend Arkham)
Bang! and Tragedy Looper are semi-cooperative

Tanto Cuore is a less dry alternative to Dominion because of chambermaiding and also because it is kawaii
>>
>>43862637
Arkham Horror takes long as hell to play but every second is worth it to me, it's definitely my favorite game. You really need to embrace the lore and it's a bit dry when you play by yourself unfortunately. It's not for everyone
>>
>>43905769
I am so fucking excite for this game to arrive now that I read what /bgg/ thinks. I kinda got it on a whim to scratch a micro-mtg power gaming itch without the wallet death or bad mechanics.

One concern now because I based my purchase of only one box on star realms model. Do I need two boxes to play with someone?
>>
>>43919467
>kawaii
Are there any lists of board game for weebs yet? Nothing overtly sexual like those loli Hitler games though.
>>
>>43919627
I believe one box supports 2 players
>>
>>43919719
Well Super Dungeon Reboot is p. Cool.

Shadow Hunters was also cool.
>>
Make a game using any of the following:

- Dice (any number of sides)
- 52 deck
- Pen + paper
- Counters
- Meeple
>>
Hey /tg/, I made a thread asking earlier but it died shortly after I woke up this morning. I'm trying to find the name of an old Board Game, it's a space strategy game I played at school 12-13 years ago.

The board was a rectangular, fold-up board. There were planets in each corner that were the player starting locations, and one planet in the center. It was a strategy game, maybe 4x, with base building and starships.

The game had some fairly complex combat rules - Little ruler cards showed the firing and movement range of units. The box art had some robots standing around a hologram on it. It wasn't Twilight of the Imperium, as an anon suggested in the thread - It definitely had one large, fold-up board. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
>>
>>43920940
Were the areas squares or hexes?
>>
>>43920708
Fleshed out an idea from last time this was posted. >>43916822
>>
>>43920956
I think that they were Hexes, but it's been over a decade so my memory is admittedly fuzzy.
>>
>>43921574
They were also very small; the board was more reminiscent of a Chessboard or Wargame than Catan.
>>
>>43921574
You sure it isn't GMT's Space 4x?
>>
File: BoardThing.png (15 KB, 1510x820) Image search: [Google]
BoardThing.png
15 KB, 1510x820
>>43921688
No, that's not it. The board looked something like the left of pic related; The center planet was definitely grey, and one of the corners was definitely blue. I can't remember the colors for the other players.There were also little cards that showed the range of weapons and movements, like the right of the pic.
>>
I tried Battlecon today and thoroughly enjoyed the one game I played.
It's also on sale right now, so are there any things I should watch out for when buying a copy? Any of the sets stand-outs, for better or worse? I am probably going to pick up War Remastered or maybe Fate since I'm not sure yet how much money this game is worth.
>>
I am digging Warhammer Quest the Adventure Card Game right now.

It is simple enough to get into, however, it has way more going on than the Pathfinder ACG which was basically 'flip a card, roll to beat X'.

This has you aiding bros, a healing mechanic that doesn't suck dick, combat and exploration that makes sense, and a lot of other good things going for it.

The only downside so far? Limited monsters and only one campaign at the moment. Still good enough to keep me going for a while given the randomness of the exploration and loot digging, but I can see it wearing thin without some expansion love in the near future.
>>
>>43921798
Was this already an older game when you played it 10-15 years ago?
>>
>>43919467

Eldritch horror was the better game in a lot of ways, but Arkham did feel a lot more co-operative.

Mansions of Madness was probably the best of the lovecraft board games kicked out by FF, but it was also terribly broken in some missions and they absolutely let it die.
>>
>>43922148
It may have been; I was in primary school and it was one of the games the Library happened to have. The school the kind of school that regularly got locked down when some kid brought a knife to school or some crazed alcoholic stumbled onto the premises, too, so they weren't exactly swimming in funding for new and shiny games.
>>
>>43907031

We just use a fifteen second timer for every game where AP is a problem. It got used quite a bit during the planning stages of Mage Wars. That game was fantastic and awful at the same time. It is incredibly deep and strategy heavy and as such it is a whore to teach someone. The game only shines when you have two dedicated players going at it, but that is rare because it is a long game because so many people turtle like idiots when just starting out.

Go for full offense and the game ends pretty fast actually. A purely defensive player usually gets smashed by someone going for full offense because they don't get a chance to set-up their end game. Crush someone too quickly and they get a big NPE out of the gate and don't want to play anymore because they can't think to chip away, or run away steadily while making their defensive line grow at the same time.

Spamming fire spells or creatures each turn and having them go right for the other mage's throat will absolutely crush most players who are trying to set-up something neat or control the board and THEY get pissed because the duel is over too fast.

So you are left with a game with a shit load of strategic options that rewards violent aggression from the start instead of letting those strategic option hit the field. Too advanced for people to get into, too crushing for overly analytical eggheads, leaving a sliver of gamers that really enjoy it. Balls out yet thinky aggression is pretty damn fun.
>>
>>43922188
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/59476/galaxy-grid
>>
>>43858475
Avoid Epic like the plague, get everything for Star Realms

Talking about Star Realms, since the pool of cards has increased a lot, do any of you have a cube/compact deck or do you just throw everything in? I don't play with heroes, events or gambits. Maybe once in a blue moon and have also tried to balance it. it was hard to shuffle.
>>
>>43921117

It's cool to see you put so much thought into this. I'll give it a play tomorrow.
>>
>>43921117

C'mon guys, hone your design skills. It could even be a variant of a simple game like Pig.
>>
>>43923149

meant to reply to >>43920708
>>
>>43922425
Right, but you're not saying WHY. One is a pocket Dominion with a space theme and one looks like MtG on meth.
>>
Just got my copy of the Krang character expansion for Mage Knight, bringing my total characters up to 7...been wondering, has anyone here ever tried playing a huge mage knight game with 4+ people? I've almost exclusively played solo, and once with a single friend of mine. Never 3 or more. Also just kind of curious what people's thoughts were on the shadows of tezla expansion. I'm playing through the main scenario with krang right now and it seems tougher than the average campaign, but certainly fun. I like how many rewards there are now, though some of these fights are a total bitch.
>>
>>43922067
War Remastered.

>>43919627
>>43919908
>>43923339
One box supports a draft with 4 players or even sealed (random decks). That's all I have and it's enough for me (I can't possibly foresee playing constructed).

Ignore the haters, if you like Magic but decided you're not paying for that shit anymore, you got the perfect game. Just be clear, attacking/defending in the game is more like an amalgamation of MtG and Hearthstone. Everyone who thinks the game is too zomfg randumb probably played with the wrong attack phase rules.
>>
What is a good board game with boobs?
>>
>>43879287
Won some awesome stuff thanks to you. I'll be sure to post in the latest /bgg/ to show my hauls after it's shipped from fucking Hawaii where the dude lives.
>>
>>43923761
Tanto Cuore
Kingdom Death: Monster
>>
>>43922425
The board was bigger than that, and the planets took up the corners - the planets were their own sections of the board rather than just a couple of squares (similar to the space maps in Empire Earth II)
>>
So me and a few friends just got into the whole board gaming thing. We are a group of 4-6, so far only played Settlers of Catan and Coup. Planning on renting a different game every week.
The only preference we have is easy to learn rules, so we can have fun playing it once without spending more time learning than playing.
I plan on getting Love Letter and Resistance at some point already, although games needn't necessarily be of that genre.
What should I get?
>>
>>43856303
>letting /bgg/ die
Maybe if you'd stop putting shitty games in the OP, more people would care.
>>
>>43879287

Ok once again thanks man. Managed to grab brood war at an not-so-great-but-definitely-not-bad $75.

How do you monitor for this kind of steals btw?
>>
>>43925129

Ok found the geeklists. Well that's not going to make my budget better next year.
>>
>>43879287
My thanks as well, I was disappointed at the end of a Black Friday binge and got plenty odd this guy, despite losing Space Hulk at the last minute and having to fold on SC: Brood War. Glad the guy from this thread got it though.
>>
>>43925429

Now I only hope that shipping to Poland won't be over $100 ;/
>>
>>43925564
Eh, shouldn't be for just one box. It'll still be 2026 before you see it though, island mail is crazy slow.
I'm US-DOM, but I also nabbed like, 25 pounds worth of stuff. So my shipping might get outta hand.

Ended up with:
Horus Heresy (heard it's just okay, but was $25 and so pretty)
WoW boardgame (see above)
War of the Ring 2nd ed
CO2 - now only missing Vinhos
Trajan
Alhambra - didn't even plan to win this one, just worked out
Dungeonquest, because sometimes I want to just roll some dice and steal treasure.

Did I did good, /bgg/?
>>
>>43926088
>>
>>43926088

I thought you were joking with 2026.

Yeah I think it will take at maximum 5 weeks. Which is fine. We've only recently started playing SC:TBG so playing it a few more times without the expansion won't be a problem.

Haven't played any of those, heard that War of the Ring was great it you have people for it, and that WoW was shit though.

If I double posted sorry, not seeing my reply anywhere.
>>
>>43923761
Spartacus
>>
>>43925129
>>43925429
Very welcome anons, thanks for bidding on things so I wouldn't feel the need.

>>43925129
Yeah, I edited my front page to only include contests, main board news, and marketplace stuff. 2-3 times a day I go and hit recent on trade/auction listings and check every one out there. It's good willpower exercise, since I haven't bid on anything in 3 months and have let some pretty massive steals go by. That's also the reason I posted the link this time, I was faltering and wanted to push bids past the pocket change I have to spend atm.
>>
>>43926218
WoW is a decent game. It has one of the more interesting combat mechanics in boardgaming. Though the complexity of the mechanic can be a turn off to some.
>>
>>43924697
Great response, and only 4 days late. Upvote bro xD
>>
>>43926654

Fair enough. Like I said haven't played any of those games so I'm only parroting what I've heard.
>>
>>43925129
>>43925429
>>43926088
>>43926581
I've never done board auctions before this. Everything I won, I won by sniping. Is that a frowned-upon thing to do? Someone called me out for bm and I'm not sure if I did a dick thing or not.
I mean I thought sniping was the whole point of auctions.
Because bidding dollar by dollar every few hours is fucking retarded.
>>
>>43926088
Oh also good going with Horus Heresy! I really wanted it but ultimately decided against it.
Like you, I think it's a gorgeous game, but left it alone since it would never see play as I've heard so much mediocrity behind all the shiny pretty stuff about it.
>>
>>43927219

Personally I think only blind auctions or real-life auctions only make sense (when you stop after the last bid). The auctions with a timer only encourage sniping.

I also have no idea if this is BM or not.
>>
>>43927256
Basically I said screw it for full price, but for this little why not?
Also that's about the thing I had heard about the WoW game - some really interesting mechanics but overall just okay. I like that though - I dig a lot of flawed but interesting games, or else I'd never be able to get into Super Dungeon Explore or Mansions of Madness.
>>
>>43919719
I keep meaning to make one... so far I've got:

>Tokaido
>King of Tokyo
>Love Letter/Lost Legacy
>Weiß Schwarz
>that Lupin III board game with the rulebook so shit they had to make a new one and stick it online
>>
How bad do you guys think shipping from Hawaii to CONUS will be?
Getting nervous here as I easily have 20 pounds of board games I won. I tried putting 25 pounds in for a USPS quote on their website and they're saying fucking $170.
Surely I miscalculated
I sure fucking hope I did.
>>
>>43924094
Kingdom Death looks awesome.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.