[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/- Immortal edition AKA pls don't die Did anybody get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: pic175966.jpg (311 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
pic175966.jpg
311 KB, 1200x1200
/bgg/- Immortal edition AKA pls don't die

Did anybody get any good deals on cyber Monday? I got 7 Wonders and Takenoko for about $22 each.
I also am still working on a storage solution for Arkham Horror, foamcore is life

What is everyone's least favorite game?
>>
File: 2close.jpg (1 MB, 2509x1481) Image search: [Google]
2close.jpg
1 MB, 2509x1481
>Forbidden Island game results as of 5 minutes ago
I went with 2 players for my solo run and randomized the characters to play- all on Normal difficulty.
I kept the hands separated by characters as to not give myself a handicap.

I almost got my ass kicked though, I got some of those water rising cards way too early on in the game.
I was ONE turn away from losing.
Had I not been able to go across with Diver and helicopter away on the turn I won, the flooding would have eaten up the heli pad and I would have lost.

>>43936106
Awh, fuck you man. I'm still punching myself for looking at those prices multiple times and still not buying them.

>least favorite game
If we narrow that down to games I have played since I've started playing and collecting board games, then I would have to say Gloom Second Edition.
Not because I dislike it, but because I own tons of games and very few of them make it on the table and this game actively challenges my brain to craft whimsical and morbid stories for the games' progression. Not that I don't love black comedy, it's just hard for me to bullshit a funny story on the fly.
>>
>>43936365
I feel the exact same way about Gloom
>>
>>43936668
There's a conspiracy in my group to always make the twins story as incestuous as possible.
Freaking mormons, man.
>>
>>43936365
How does Island compare to Desert?
>>
>>43937783
Island's a bit simpler and easier, desert is generally considered to be an improvement.
>>
>>43937800
Oh that's good, I managed to pick up Desert at Half Price Books brand new for $10 during the 50% off thing, I'm very satisfied
>>
>>43937783
dunno, it's pretty high on my casual-shit-to-buy list though.

>>43937800
good to hear. I've had a blast with Forbidden Island, I'd love improvements on it.

>>43937832
>$10
lucky cuck
>>
>>43936106
Aww yiss, /bgg/. Didn't see any new deals that weren't just stores trying to unload shit stock or unsellable garbage.

So far I have Tide of Iron (Fury of the Bear expansion), Epic the card game, and Star Realms coming. I never see /bgg/ talk about ToI.
>>
File: 20151123_132914.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151123_132914.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>43938172
>never see /bgg/ talk about ToI
That's because I'm too busy trying to smother every other ww2 game under a tide of cartoon fascists.
Thanks for making the picture sideways in advance, you retarded phone.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (783 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
783 KB, 3000x1688
Has anyone here besides me backed up Battalia: the creation on KS earlier this year?
It's finally shipping next week! I hope it's as good at it looks.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battalia/battalia-the-creation/posts/1427778

What has been your experience with kick started board games, Anon?
>>
>>43936106
>Never play like more nuanced board games much
>Really wanted to play Arkham Horror and Mountains of Madness
>Never had anyone to play them with
>Be a total shithead to my now ex/gf/idk things were always weird and complicated but things ended
>She recently posts a pic on Instagram of her playing Mountains of Madness with her new bf

I really wish I wasn't an alcoholic sometimes.
>>
>>43938395
>What has been your experience with kick started board games, Anon?
Chaosmos. Took forever to deliver, but hot damn, is it a sweet piece of welterweight ameritrash design.

Also two rooms and a boom. Took three forever to deliver, but wound up getting a free second copy, and it's become a much-beloved 2am staple at my monthly LANs.
>>
>>43938408
Sounds terrible, anon. I'm sorry.
I have the same problem with respect to Arkham Horror. I can only play it once a year when my cousins get together; they're the only ones I've found that enjoy playing it. It's very normie accessible, but includes a fair amount of obscure mythos references to satisfy someone who actually read them. The gameplay isn't too complicated and really grows on you, and there's a shit ton of expansion packs for it. Can't speak for Mountains of Madness though.
>>
File: LandoSabacc-SOTETC.jpg (1 MB, 1299x888) Image search: [Google]
LandoSabacc-SOTETC.jpg
1 MB, 1299x888
>>43938408
whiskey and coke, nobody to play games with, and work at 8am like every other day reporting in.
What's /bgg/ [strikethrough]playing[/strikethrough] drinking tonight?
>>
>>43938583
[s]is this how to do it right?[/s]
ah fuck it
>>
>>43938583
Bacardi 151
>>
>>43938583
Oolong
>>
>>43938583

Tea. It takes a party to get me to even bother with drinking. Otherwise it just feels like expensive water to me (woohoo getting drunk alone is so much fun /sarcasm)
>>
>>43938539
Word. Will see if I can get peeps to play on Christmas then. Thanks.

>>43938583
Bourbon, neat. If I can find the damn whipped cream, Imma do Irish Coffee.
>>
>>43938982
drinking alone is just as fun as when i'm drinking with my friends except I can leave my dong hanging out and get to do whatever I want when I want without having a group democracy on it.
>>
>>43938583
Thinking of working on my RP tonight. Usually weed or if none, vodka. Currently have neither so water.
>>
>>43938583
On week nights, I usually drink tea or water with an occasional wheat beer.

>>43938395
I backed it up too, I read the rules and it looks solid enough, and it got good reviews from the few people that played it. I wish that they had gotten ready in mid november as planned because I'll be away during Xmas, now I need to have it send to my in laws and carry it back home. Oh well, such is the life of Ks projects...
>>
>>43938408
Who needs a gf when you have Dexter Drake
>>
I went to this great store about 20 minutes out from my house last weekend. It was awesome, the second I got in there a guy asked me and my girlfriend if we wanted to play a pirate game. We ended up playing Rum and Bones for about an hour. I loved this place, they had a library of games you could just pick up and play. I love the board game community. Anybody near Coppell Texas know the place I'm talking about?
>>
>>43938583
Arkham Horror is suprisingly fun solo, just put on some HP Lovecraft audiobooks while playing
>>
File: RichardPickman.png (200 KB, 245x375) Image search: [Google]
RichardPickman.png
200 KB, 245x375
And shirtless Pickman
>>
>>43936106
>always ctrl+f for "board game general"
No hits.
Scroll catalog, stumble upon what I think is an arkham thread.
Well then.

Next time, give it a proper title and image.
>>
>>43939480
Why don't you go make a "proper" one on your own then?
>>
>>43936106
>aways ctrl+f the catalog for board game generals
>no hits, disappointed
>scroll the catalog for anything else, see pic, oh, arkhan?
>it's the bgg

Step up your thread titles and image selection, son!

Most hated game? I'll go with agricola and/or masquerade. I suck at both, one frustrates me for starting me in the red points wise and being an unfun slog to get into the black. the other destroys my memory abilities and I could never do well with the playgroup that brought it out.

Few times I've had a bad time playing board games.
>>
>>43939085
I feel it.
the main reason I drink is because I'm too paranoid with weed.
I smoked it a bunch back in college 5 years ago, but after getting arrested (my fault for being retarded), it's just not worth it.
If I wasn't such a ambitionless sack of shit, I'd move to Colorado.
Or Washington since I love the rain.
>>
>>43939309
I don't have the core game or audiobooks.
I keep seeing oppurtunities to buy the game for $30ish, but even then I don't feel like it.
Don't get me wrong, I want to buy it. My priorities are just fucked.
>>
>>43939480
>>43939671
how about fuck you, ya entitled cunt?
>>
>>43939719
Gf and I are saving up to move to Washington. We love the rain. And weed is almost as hard to get here in Oklahoma as board games. Almost.
>>
>>43939741
Don't beat yourself up too hard about not buying a board game, focus on yourself first
>>
>>43939791
nah man, it's more like me being unable to purchase what I want and instead buying for deals>game priority.
Just can't escape that 80 year old grandma with coupons inside me I guess.
>>
>>43939837
Ah I know EXACTLY what you mean
>>
>>43938583
>>43938625
>strikethrough
>on 4chan
t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶

>>43936106
no deals on cyber monday, but arkham horror kinda disappointed me. Eldritch Horror is a much better game, phenomenal with the forsaken lore expansion.
>>
File: feelrunner.png (107 KB, 273x302) Image search: [Google]
feelrunner.png
107 KB, 273x302
>>43938408
>now ex/gf/idk things were always weird and complicated but things ended
you and me both.
>>
>>43939851
Yep. Most recent example is that giant auction over on BGG that ended last night.
Nothing was a huge priority of mine sans for one game, but I'm waiting on being billed for a great haul of stuff.

>>43939898
cbf to google how to do it, I'll just accept my pleb status with strikes.
>>
>>43939898
For some reason I love how complicated Arkham Horror is
>>
>>43939763
How about do a service to lurkers and others that wouldn't otherwise know its up?
But sure, I'm a faggot.
>>
>>43939281

Hail fellow dfw anon. Madness/Texas Toy Soldier/That new place that opened up like 3 weeks ago?
>>
>>43940034
I actually live 5 minutes from Madness and go there all the time but it was actually a place in Coppell called Roll2Play, it was great. I WISH Madness had games you could try out. Madness has a buy 2 get 1 free deal right now btw
>>
>>43940034
Btw what's the new place that opened up recently?
>>
File: 1446757882074.png (107 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1446757882074.png
107 KB, 320x287
>tfw your nearest game store is manned by neckbeards who stifle unautistic fun and has an uncomfortable atmosphere in general
>>
>>43940085

Doc's Comics and Games. Its in the same strip as Toys R Us, right next to Fadi's Mediterranean Grill.

I've never been there as i live over in arlington, but supposedly it's a pretty cool place.
>>
>>43940138

Hopefully the place will fail, or at least realize having a shitty atmosphere really kills it for possible customers.
>>
>>43940138
Try running something at a community centre or library. It's an idea I've had in the back of my head for years, but haven't found the courage to approach anyone about.

Last year I worked.got a community centre, helping to run after school activities at elementary and middle schools. Mostly sport/physical games, but for fridays, I led the Magic the Gathering afternoon at one school.

I got along great with the kids, and decided to try out Coup with them. They loved it. Incan Gold came next. Another hit. Who knows how much farther it could have gone, had I not moved back to my hometown a month or two after introducing board games to them.
>>
>>43940173
Huh, I'll have to go check that out sometime
>>
File: 1276048451368.jpg (58 KB, 302x237) Image search: [Google]
1276048451368.jpg
58 KB, 302x237
>>43936106

oh look they put my favorite game in the OP

too bad /tg/ hates AH
>>
>>43940415
I like it. Sister Mary is GOAT.
>>
>>43939963
ẖ̴̢̧̯̮̜̬̯̞̼̟̦̹̰̯͓̞̂͆̅̇͑ͬ̐͐̐̔ͣ͆͡i̼̙͎̗̮͚̲̩͔͈̟̇̃ͭ̾͗͑ͦ̋͊ͤ̑ͭ̏͟͜n͗͌̏͊̎ͧͬ̑̍ͤ̿̃̅͊̍̇̏̚̚͝͏͈̙̲͕͇̲̬̼̮tͮ̉̀ͣ̍ͭ̈́ͣͯ̚҉̨̙̠̹̞̰̦͚̲̲̼̯̳̩̝͈͉͔̩͟
>>
>>43940415
Was my favorite game until I played TI3
>>
>>43940750
What is TI3
>>
>>43940886
>every thread
>>
File: Storage.png (3 MB, 2004x752) Image search: [Google]
Storage.png
3 MB, 2004x752
>>43938408
Get TTS anon, I'll play with you right now
>>43936106
Pic related. Not perfect, but it works
>>
>>43940415
Still my favourite game anon. Play it quite often too.

Silas marsh is my go-to character.
>>
I'm looking to introduce a new game to my group. They started off with basic things like catan and risk, but I'm kinda sick of sitting through another game of race for Australia, so I've been trying to get them into other games. We tried Eclipse for a while, but that may have been a bit too much of a jump for them, gametime wise. After some research, I've been eyeing either Pandemic or Acquire. Anyone have experience with these games?
>>
>>43945264
Acquire is kinda bland.
Pandemic is good - but only if you're into co-op's. Personally can't stand them, but it's one of the more solid ones out there.
How many people you play with?
>>
>>43945460
We should merge threads. Posting to redirect here.
>>
gah, meant. can't brain this morning
>>43939848
>>
>>43945324
Anywhere between 4 and 6 depending on the day
>>
>>43945699
For 4-6 and not too heavy, I'd take a look at:
Battlestar Galactica
Cosmic Encounter
Coup (G54 version)
Fury of Dracula / Specter Ops
King of Tokyo / New York
Mare Nostrum (once it's released)
One Night Revolution / Werewolf
Rex: Final Days of an Empire (best with 6)
Sheriff of Nottingham (only goes to 5, but easy to houserule 6 into)
Smash Up (can get cluttered with more than 4)
Skull
Smash Up
Spartacus
Spartacus
Spyfall
Spyfall
>>
>>43945931
>repeated three things on list
I'm not even sure what to diagnose myself with here.
The stupids, probably.
>>
>>43945931
Thanks a bunch. We've tried spyfall, and its pretty fun. Almost more of a drinking game. I'll definitely look at Rex and BSG. How long do games of Rex take? BGG says 2 hours, but I don't really ever abide by their judgements
>>
>>43946410
It's about right on that one. My first game took about 3/3.5, but after that's been pretty close to 2 every time. Fantastic game, essentially the old Dune boardgame rethemed for the Twilight Imperium setting because the Herbert estate wanted a million jewbucks to use the IP again.
Fantastically political, great combat system, asymmetrical races that play off each other really well, though that means that playing with less than 6 means pieces of that balancing act are missing. With 6, though, I can't recommend it enough. Everything good about the Game of Thrones game, but better, and faster.
>>
>>43946511
Thanks anon. I'll give it a try
>>
>>43936106

I guess this is the place for this question:

Is Kingdom Death worth the price it is asking for? Its a whole bunch of plastic and cardboard, so I am certainly getting a lot for my money, but does anyone have firsthand experience playing it? How replayable is this game? I'd hate to spend that much money on a game I am only going to play once or twice.

Also, there are a shitton of different things I can buy for it. Is there actually any reason to buy anything beyond just the core game? Or is all that stuff just window dressing like pretty looking models you cannot actually use in the game?
>>
>>43948264
You get a lot, but not enough to justify the cost of several other games, in my opinion.
And it's semi-replayable, but not enormously so.
Also it's pretty much just a solo game, which aren't for everyone.
>>
>>43948264
I think it's worthwhile, but I got it for $275. $400 is a bit steep (although free shipping is nothing to scoff at, it's $40 to ship this beast). It's not infinitely replayable, but the campaign does have some length to it - we've been playing once a week since October, six hour sessions, and once made it to LY10 of 25 without dying. Each Lantern Year is about 90 minutes, 25 in a campaign. I can certainly see playing another campaign after you've "won", and make different choices, maybe shoot for Legendary beasts.

Concerns about replayability largely stem from the number of monsters you can hunt: three. Nemesis monsters aren't huntable and show up about every four years, but you'll usually be hunting the Lion, Phoenix or Antelope. They have 3-4 levels of difficulty, so it at least takes a while to feel samey, plus the AI system is pretty clever. There's a mountain of planned expansion material, including new campaigns, new quarry, new everything, so by the time one night be sick of it there should be even more. Hunt events might also get stale and I hope Lantern Festival includes more - the Hunt phase is a dice-driven Arabian Nights thing. Half are quarry specific, half are just " roll d100, read a thing, maybe get stuff, maybe die." New quarry will help, but a new table would be great.

Cost-wise, it really depends on how much you're willing to put into the minis, because this isn't a CMON these-come-assembled-and-look-fine-without-work box. These are sprues and sprues of heads that come in five pieces. If that sounds like fun, and you want your Survivor minis to wear exactly what they have equipped in game, the minis are worth it. Cards and things are high quality, insert is... Not great. Nice finish on 1000+ cards abd some hundreds of little gear cards though.
>>
By the way, anything extra on the store now? Just models, no rules. The extra kits are copies of armor from core game. Only thing outside of main box that has rules are the scenarios for the KS promos, which aren't available atm. A few of the pinups have a single piece of gear or event that's optional and flavorful, like a Halloween item. Plastic tits paid for this game and plastic tits mean we keep getting expansions, at least.

All in all, I think it's worthwhile, but ymmv. A lot of people have said they'd buy a standee version, but Poots doesn't want to compromise in that way. An official TTS module is in the works though, and I'm betting that won't be $400.>>43948264
>>
>>43948264
I'm not into expensive games, I feel like I can get the same experience for less.
>>
What's a good Mage Knight alternative? I can't shell out $90 for a game
>>
>>43950402
Star Trek: Frontiers
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.