[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: 1432410007802.png (12 KB, 300x461) Image search: [Google]
1432410007802.png
12 KB, 300x461
Previously on: >>54345954

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
First for Windows.
>>
Cant start netctl/systemd-networkd,and various other servies.Pam/polkit keeps killing it when its started.
-- Subject: Unit netctl.service has finished start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit netctl.service has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2328]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux polkitd[8404]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:2329:18091839 (system bus name :1.123, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, l
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2335]: user : TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/user ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl start netctl
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2335]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2335]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
>>
>>54365310
Doesn't mangina have a support forum?
>>
>>54365479
Read the thread subject, faggot.
>>
>>54365520
>demands to be spoken to in a friendly way
>spouts faggot
ok son.
>>
File: 1454967907573.jpg (46 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454967907573.jpg
46 KB, 500x500
Remember we have a thread on GNU/Linux training videos from beginner to advanced
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097

And a ported videogames thread
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928
>>
>>54365310
lel
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25527790/explanation-of-polkitd-unregistered-authentication-agent
>>
>>54365479
Arch does,but it is toxic and full of faggots like you,so is there irc,which i tried as well.Arch wiki has nothing.Googling nets no results outside of various programs not starting with the same error,some bug reports from ubuntu that closed in 2011.

>>54365556
Yet the procces is closed,as show in pic from first pic.It isnt a dismissable minor errlor,its stopping proccess from running,if you bothered to read the orginal post
>>
>>54365583
You really are an insufferable cunt, you sound like you would fit right in on the arch forum, and this is the reason no one has helped you here.
>>
File: 1462212450936.jpg (68 KB, 431x423) Image search: [Google]
1462212450936.jpg
68 KB, 431x423
>>54365627
No one has helped because your an arrogent asshole,who have no purpose being in these threads,because your narsistitic personalitiy prevents you from helping others,while you put down other people who have any sort of problem,and arent on your impossibly high podium of standards and intelligence.Instead you mock and belittle people.
>>
>all the shitpost from the samefag
>>
>>54365583
Pretty sure above where it says unregistered agent it says registered agent. So that message didn't mean "oh no, an unregistered agent tried to do something, undo!" But "ok I've done my job, unregistering now".
And if that is a lifetime issue of polkit make sure one is starting up at you session startup. If it is then find out how pam or whatever is supposed to connect to the running instance of polkit and why it is failing to (and hence starting a second shorter lived one).
>>
>>54365954
Explain the pgrep not finding netctl if it started?
It starts processes and then they get killed.
Why the fuck would I just lie?
Polkit is started by the system on init.
Pam rules are literally the same as it was before this issue,and reinstalling pam and polkit respectivly,using stock settings results in the same issue.There are no backup or saved configuration files in either directory.
>>
>>54366069
Must be magic then anon
>>
i want to change what arch says when it boots up. for example it says "welcome to arch linux!" by default. where is the text file?
>>
>>54366166
Do you mean grub or plymouth or display manager? I ask because my arch doesn't say that at any point in the boot process.
>>
>>54366166
Not on arch, but I guess it's "motd".
/etc/motd
>>
>>54366188
the very first part after the boot manager before the display manager.
>>
>>54366069
Did you even read the post you are replying to? I provided a hypothesis, asked for confirmation and provided an avenue for further investigation. And then you accuse me of accusing you of lying?
>>
>>54366199
i opened it and it was empty.
>>
>>54365954
Not accusing.Stating why would i lie about all the shit that is happening.Im sure of any other information that would be needed
>>
What's wrong with my screenfetch? Why isn't it detecting so much stuff?
>>
>>54366631
maybe it has to do with running it as root?
>>
>>54366631
>installs kali
>browses facebook and installs screenfetch
I've seen it all now.
>>
>>54366631
It's a bash script. Check to make sure it's pulling information from the right place and edit it.
>>
>>54366631
It relies of some X applications.
>>
Mounting any drive(including home) is telling me it is missing a dependency and dosent mount it.What the fuck?
>>
>>54366427
>Stating why would i lie about all the shit that is happening.
No-one accused you of lying so what is the point in saying that.
>>54366069
>Polkit is started by the system on init.
>>54365310
And is the pid of the polkit in the logs (here 8404) the pid of the one that was started at init or not? Because if not then pam or whatever is failing to connect to the system instance and starting a new short lived one.
Also in that log snippet you keep posting there are two sudo commands run and and no log of the process being killed. I don't you how you expect us to help with providing so little information. Then everytime we ask for more info you start arguing and saying you are doing everything right.
>>
>>54366958
... What is the dependancy that is missing. Kinda key information anon.
>>
>>54366958
How are you mounting and what is the exact error message?
>>
File: 1460972874526.png (825 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1460972874526.png
825 KB, 700x700
>>54366631
The screenfetch package is pretty outdated on most distros, especially on Kali (made for use in a VM, not as desktop OS); get a fresh screenfetch here (download the file screenfetch-dev) https://github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch

Sidenote: Kali is a joke. Installing a cracking distro without the knowledge how to use it's programs is retarded. If you really want to hack the planet, read about the specific topic you're interested in and install the missing programs in your favorite GNU/Linux distro (yes, all the kali stuff is available for every distro).
>>
What do you guys like about Fedora?

I've always been a Debian and Debian-based kinda guy, and I'm curious
>>
so apparently my dorm wifi now has a firewall that blocks proxies. I can't launch HMA or Tor browser from Linux. HMA still works from Windows, but who knows for how long

this is some next level bullshit. How do I get around it in Loonix?
>>
Question/Help with rsync.
Backing up my / with 1st code block
2nd code block is what is erroring out.Do i need to add --delete-excluded?
rsync -aAX --info=progress2 /* --exclude={/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/data/*,/backup/*,/opt/*,/music/*,/media/*,/lost+found,/home/*,/var/lib/pacman/sync/*,/games/*,/tmp/*,/var/tmp/*} /* /backup/system/

cannot delete non-empty directory: usr/share/licenses/qt5-xmlpatterns
could not make way for new symlink: usr/share/licenses/qt5-xmlpatterns
>>
Manjaro 15.09 (KDE) is amazing! even for a computer that isn't performing too well.
>>
>>54366348
That would be Plymouth.
You could probably get grub to say it too
>>
I know this isn't GNU/Linux related but

I just learned about the existence of TempleOS and Terry Davis

Holy fucking shit I can't believe what I'm looking at

How does this man exist, how does this OS exist. What the fuck

How can someone so intelligent as to be able to write his own OS from scratch and code for it also be this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WgOWrT1yyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-dVp542XGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhRYGm_b9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-W4Tzg9-o
>>
>>54368509
And I forgot to link to the madman's Twitter

https://twitter.com/TempleOS/

What the actual fuck is this guys, help, this is all creepy as shit. The guy thinks it's god speaking to him from the program he wrote, AfterEgypt
>>
File: 1460474661350.jpg (196 KB, 500x568) Image search: [Google]
1460474661350.jpg
196 KB, 500x568
>>54368509
>>54368526
>>
>>54368320
VPN? SSH forward to port 443? Suck IT guy's cock? What kind of proxies is it blocking, SOCKS?
>>
File: 1.png (6 KB, 642x125) Image search: [Google]
1.png
6 KB, 642x125
>>54368955
>What kind of proxies is it blocking, SOCKS?
I don't know how to find that out. But like I said my VPN isn't starting and I can't even go to the website because I get errors like this
>>
>>54369005
Change your vpn to connect to a non standard port.Make sure you're using SSL going out in to the vpn.They are network shaping,and there is little you can do to get around it
>>
File: pia18356-1041.jpg (46 KB, 1041x1041) Image search: [Google]
pia18356-1041.jpg
46 KB, 1041x1041
Hey guys, need some real help
Windows wont stop blue screening and idgaf enough to fix it som I'm just gonna make the switch to full Linux.
Ive had an Arch partition for about 5 months now so I know quite a bit, what I'm wondering is how I write my entire disk with zeros so I can make the whole disk encrypted with dm-crypt on Arch, right now my arch is only 50GB/2TB and the rest is broken windows.
Really, I just wanna know how to wipe everything with zeros so its a pseuso blank slate and i will fresh install arch on it. Plz resopond
Thanks.
>>
>>54369183
You can just wipe it with fdisk or whatever but I don't know if that's what you mean or if that's secure/blank enough.
>>
>>54369183
First, are you sure that the problem isn't the HDD itself?
>>
>>54369232
i was wondering if i use fdisk or dd or both
To tell u the truth, I thnk its malware or virus/trojan on the Windows boot and it made my PC run like shit. Would wiping both partition by reinstalling arch over both do it well enough
>>
File: unnamed.png (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
17 KB, 300x300
There is no Spotify open-source client for Ubuntu 16.04? I don't want to install their official client, because it's botnet. I miss streaming music!
>>
>>54369247
i am not, kind of a newfag, how would i diagnose that?
>>
>>54369273
Plug this HD as secondary drive on some computer. If it's Windows, you can run the manufacturer's software to test the drive it produced. It will say if it has any problems. If it is Linux, I don't know, because I'm here to learn more Linux too.
>>
>>54369271
arch wiki says there are some clients but generally only work with premium accounts.
>>
>>54369005
Don't know much about proxies but if you can find on where the port you connect to is 443 that port is often unblocked (because it is used for HTTPS which is encrypted so they can't actually know what it is)
>>
>>54369271
This is why you don't let a company control your music. Maybe I'm old school but I will maintain a collection as long as possible.
>>
>>54369365
I let them control because they organize the musics much better than me, and have many more musics, and have recommendation algorithms!
>>
>>54369183
How can you install arch and not know how to wipe a drive? Have you read any article on the internet about "Preparing a drive for encryption"? I'm sure it would be in every one.
>>
>>54369183
I found this and believe I answered my own question just after asking. For anyone wonerding/ has the same problem:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Drive_preparation#dm-crypt_specific_methods
>>
>>54369485
i never encrypted it or anything before, only dual boot with windows. most i did was partition the drives, nothing special with them
>>
>>54369488
No one has the same problem because they read the wiki beforehand.Specially since its your distro's wiki...
>>
I understand the objections to Elementary's design choices (not to mention the donation thing) but, are there any actual problems with it? By "problem" I mean something that the vast majority would consider an issue, not just a matter of personal preference, such as its intent to be as OSX-looking as possible. (And I don't count the donation thing - you can just type 0.)
>>
>>54370017
Bugs everywhere
>>
>>54368509
>>54368526
It's called schizophrenia. Also welcome to /g/
>>
>>54370017
It's really fucking outdated.
>>
>>54370429
A half-year-old release based on 14.04 is really fucking outdated? (I'm just basing that on what Wiki claims about the latest Freya release.)
>>
>>54365039
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as kBSD or even NTOSKRNL.EXE, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.
>>
If I just want a linux environment to test code, is ubuntu sufficient?

Will I end up using it more and more?

Will I become a nolifer and start using the most esoteric distros I can find whilst forgeting my original goal long before?

>just want to make use of ncurses
>>
>>54370888
https://github.com/torvalds/linux
>>
>>54370888
install gentoo
>>
>>54370914
>>54370902
Thanks, guys. Installing ubuntu to a flash drive now.

Jokes aside, I'm not looking to spend 10 hours a day looking up 'what broke today'
>>
What's the point of going gnu/inux when windows just works?

Being able to gaymen without taking a performance sacrifice or jumping through endless amounts of hoops is too much of a positive to switch.

You can rice winders just as much as you can gnu/inux so that isn't a problem.

So why make the switch?

>dualboot

not a viable option
>>
im using cinnamon and my mouse sensitivity is all the way down but it feels like its still to high. how can i get it lower?
>>
File: santa.jpg (123 KB, 869x727) Image search: [Google]
santa.jpg
123 KB, 869x727
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>54371284
The nose knows.
>>
What is the best distro? /g/ doesn't make it easy; memes everywhere..
>>
>>54371981

gentoo

not even a meme
>>
Recommend me ANY DE or WM that works well with a high ppi screen with Debian testing.

I tried
>GNOME
works OK, but I just don't like Gnome. I can't figure out how to properly navigate it for the life of me.

>MATE
works OK as well, but sometimes has major tearing

>KDE
works somewhat OK, although as always, GTK doesn't work that well and it already crashed a few times

>i3
only thing that worked well so far. Good scaling, no tearing. But I'm not sure if I'm ready to embrace the full autism of a tiling WM.

Should I try XFCE and Unity first?
>>
Do you guys support Epic Games?

a crazy new open source+free game engin and open source+free game on githu? everyone can contribute?

I think they are as based as it gets if you ask me
>>
>>54372710
+e +b
>>
Using i3wm. Want to assign cmus to a workspace. xprop obviously gives the terminal class string, so how do i assign cmus without using the class string? Also, how can i get roft to open up cmus?
>>
How easy is it to make a BOINC project? I'd like to make one to factor an integer.
>>
can i have a conky panel on top like in dwm but in openbox
>>
>>54373336
yes
>>
File: pussinboots.gif (704 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
pussinboots.gif
704 KB, 1280x1024
>>54373390
>please tell me how
>>
>>54368039
Apart from a blobbed kernel, it's as free as it gets and has a nice balance of new stuff and stability.
If I weren't on debian sid, I'd be using fedora. Or maybe parabola but I need proprietary microcode unfortunately
>>54368509
He's a legit absolute madman. He is crazy. Literally.
>>54369466
Recommendation algorithms are even worse than the positive feedback loop on hipster boards like /mu/. Puddletag and beets are very good at tagging your stuff and HDDs are dirt cheap.
>>54369302
Have a nice stay and happy learning.
>>54370017
It is based on a distro that is based on another one, that is enough to not like it but it also manages to be extremely buggy.
>>
>>54370778
Yes basically.
>>54371053
This probably won't happen. Not even in distros like arch, fedora rawhide or debian sid.
>>
>>54371102
What's the point of using windows?
What's the point of asking rhetoric and retarded questions in a thread where freetards help each other?
>>
I'm looking for a new distro for my old macbook. It currently runs Ubuntu 16.04, but i really disliked that distro, and it feels sluggish. On my desktop i use Manjaro with KDE, and I'm really happy with it. Can you guys recommend some light distros for my old macbook? I was thinking of going Manjaro LXQt, but kinda want to try something new.
>>
>>54371981
The one I'm using.
>>54372710
They are interesting. I don't have a real opinion on them yet, but they do try to innovate.
>>54372319
How long did you try gnome? It doesn't get much better for scaling. Did you use it long enough to use the keyboard shortcuts? Because that's where it gets comfy. Use gnome-tweak-tool. And dropdown terminal is GOAT.
>>
>>54374221
Debian with xfce is pretty comfy.
Lxde if you want.
>>
>>54374221
I second Debian and either Xfce or Lxde as a good lightweight distro. You can even try KDE with it (but update from stable to testing or unstable, or you will have a really old version of Plasma
>>
>>54372319

Your desktop environment has no influence on that. The GUI toolkits that your software is using has. As far as I know GTK3 and Qt5 have decent HiDPI support. Check the Arch Wiki or elsewhere on how to enable/tweak it. For deprecated toolkits like GTK2 or Qt4 you might be out of luck.
>>
>>54370017

>using an immature desktop environment maintained by a handful of people, full of potential, unnecessary bugs which have been overcome on other environments

There should be a fixpantheon.edu website with the following text:

>install xfce
>install plank
>apply the greybird gtk theme
>apply the elementary-xfce icons
>enjoy your robust and mature Elementary O's without bugs
>>
How do I install i3 from a vanilla arch install
All I have done is
pacman -S i3 
i3

It returns
i3: Cannot open display

What do
>>
>>54375013
emerge xorg-server
>>
>>54367763
I just have it for aircrack and reaver. I don't pretend to be a haxxor.
>>
>>54375013

That's not how you're supposed to start it. Everything is explained on the Wiki, there's no point in posting redundant information here.
>>
>>54375075

Those things can be installed on a proper distribution.
>>
File: 1459697631921.jpg (697 KB, 1867x1633) Image search: [Google]
1459697631921.jpg
697 KB, 1867x1633
Recently installed Ubuntu GNOME 16.04. Got 2 black screen of death just out of the blue in 2 days of usage. What the fuck? I thought Linux is good.
>>
>>54375013
i3-wm
>pacman -Ss i3
>>
>>54375013
You log out of your current session. If you have a DM, it will show you a new i3 entry. If not, use your ~/.xinitrc.
Also plain i3 sucks balls. Get i3-gaps.

>>54375075
You need a whole distro for 2 programs? Why not installing a nice distro and add these programs there? Then you could have a nice GNU/Linux experience while cracking your daddies wifi.
>>
>>54375181

>whole point of a tiling window manager is to conserve space, maximize screen estate in a convenient way
>adds a feature which achieves exactly the opposite by wasting space

The gaps thing is screaming "desktop thread ricer", it's painful.
>>
>>54375241
blah blah blah; once you used gaps you'll see why it makes sense. You can simply better distinguish the different windows/terminals, you get rid of claustrophobic feels and yes, your desktop looks better.

Next to this, what's the point in hating on good looking desktops? You shouldn't connect some tripnigger weeaboos who act gay on the internet with functional beauty.
>>
What's so amazing about zsh? Till now, everything it "provides" can be done with bash or by reading manpages. Is zsh a meme or did I miss anything?
>>
>>54375464

They install it because they think the prompt is something they can only get on zsh. I'm willing to bet that the majority of them aren't even utilizing 10% of bash's featureset, yet they're moving on to a different shell.
>>
I have finally decided to give linux a go

tried Ubuntu but it's way too easy, any program I want I can find on Canonical's app store

what's a good distro for starters? I don't like how debian looks like so please don't say debian
>>
>>54376068
Manjaro. It's basically arch without breakage, good for beginners, but not made for retard beginners like ubuntu.
>>
>>54376161
aight manjaro it is then
>>
>>54376068
>tried Ubuntu but it's way too easy, any program I want I can find on Canonical's app store
isn't that exactly the point of a repository, to have all the programs you want? If you want to compile things for yourself there's always Linux From Scratch, but that's not for beginners.

>I don't like how debian looks like so please don't say debian
Debian can look exactly how you make it look, and since you can install Debian with the same Desktop Environments as Ubuntu (minus Unity) it will look exactly like either Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Gnome or Ubuntu with Cinnamon. What kind of look are you referring to that you don't like?
>>
>>54376068
>linux is too user friendly
FFS all those years morrons just told us it was too difficult and not user friendly and now it's too easy ?

>I don't like how debian looks like so please don't say debian
And I'm gonna tell you :
install debian on a VM, and during the install process it will ask you which desktop environment you want.
Install all of them, and try them, then install whatever comes with this DE.
>>
>>54375464
zsh permits some things bash doesn't provide. There's a better auto completion and other stuff like those.
It is supposed to be better, but I don't think you should really care about that.
You can still try it and make your own idea.
>>
>>54375013
why did you installed archlinux in the first place if you can't even read their wiki ?
>>
>>54376912
>zsh permits some things bash doesn't provide
What exactly?
>>
How do I fix this?

W: http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg: Signature by key 4CCA1EAF950CEE4AB83976DCA040830F7FAC5991 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
W: http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg: Signature by key 3B068FB4789ABE4AEFA3BB491397BC53640DB551 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)

>inb4 Chrome
The only reason I have installed chrome, is because of Netflix.
>>
>>54375124
>>54375181
But I have Kali installed already, why bother.
>>
>>54376959
>chrome
>netflix
I guess you also installed flash?
I guess GNU/Linux is not your cup of tea.
>>
How do I test serial connection in linux? I mean, I have an atmega hooked up through ttl -> usb thing, sending back every char it recive. How can I test it?
>>
>>54376984
>>54376984
>I guess you also installed flash?
Nope, just Netflix with HTML5. I have no reason to install flash.
>>
>emerge chromium
>some shitty "ninja" piece of shit segfaults at the end of compilation
Nice OS, retards.
>>
>>54376959
First of all, you should get rid of the nonfree spyware tool Google Chrome.
>>
>>54375125
By black screen of death you mean kernel panics?
Canonical kinda fucked up 16.04.
>>
File: 1419739815255.png (58 KB, 441x361) Image search: [Google]
1419739815255.png
58 KB, 441x361
>NTFS partition shit its pants
>no way to recover it
>>
I'm new to Linux but from what I've read apt is considered a solid, but not the best package manager.

What bugs me (as a noob with OCD) for example is when I install a new package (like a new DE/WM I want to try) that comes with a lot of dependencies, e.g. sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment.
It installs a lot of dependencies (say, 50).

Now, if I uninstall MATE, like sudo apt-get purge mate-desktop-environment. It only uninstalls a SINGLE package.

Is there a package manager that will uninstall everything it came with?
>>
>>54377550
Gentoo lets you use depclean, but you shouldn't install Gentoo because everything takes ages to install.
>>
>>54377550
Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

The solution to your problem is: apt-get autoremove
>>
>>54376983
>But I have Kali installed already,
>Kali installed
>INSTALLED
>>
>>54372710
Link please.
>>
>>54377716
Something wrong?
>>
>>54377550
>>54377574
I haven't earned my Red Hat Dollars (tm) for today yet, so here's a bit of shilling:

Fedora's package manager dnf does exactly what you want: install 10 packages, remove 10 packages, as expected. No idea why apt has this strange system with different commands.
>>
To revive the thread, how about sharing some good shell hacks beyond rm -rf you're using daily?

> bind F1 to sudo !!
bind '"\e[11~":"sudo !!\n"'
>>
>>54377948
>No idea why apt has this strange system with different commands.
So you're telling me in Fedora you need to install 500 packages manually for a DE? :^)
>>
>>54378071
that repeats the last command with sudo in front of it, for times when you forget sudo, right? I saw someone do alias fuck=sudo !! or something like that, I like that more :)
>>54378091
nah, sudo dnf install kde
installing 500 packages
sudo dnf remove kde
removing 500 packages
>>
>>54377948
People are only hating on apt because the most problems are reported for apt, and the most problems are reported for apt, because the most newfriends who don't read manpages are using Ubuntu/Mint. In reality apt is pretty comfy.
>>
File: buttons.jpg (35 KB, 228x354) Image search: [Google]
buttons.jpg
35 KB, 228x354
how to make buttons for openbox like pic related (its a fluxbox theme cinerai)
>>
>>54378230
Fire up a search engine that doesn't track you, search for openbox themes and install the desired package. Alternativly, if there's no package, put the theme directory into /usr/share/themes.
>>
>LibreOffice/OpenOffice doesn't have text borders
Seriously, every fucking office writer on the planet that isn't cloud based has this feature. Even Apple's Pages is far superior to this crap. It's actually sad how bad the office tools is, and many are praising Libre/OpenOffice being "on-par" with M$ Office and Pages? Get real.
>>
>>54378386
Uneeded "feature" purposly left out
>>
>>54378386
>>54378455
"libreoffice text borders" on google
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Borders_1

see, this is what I don't get about people who circlejerk about "muh MS Office". They just.don't.know.what.they're.talking.about.
>>
File: Outline.png (6 KB, 257x185) Image search: [Google]
Outline.png
6 KB, 257x185
>>54378516
>>
>>54377933
Yeah you fell for a meme and failed to understand the purpose of your chosen distro.
>>
Stupid question, what's the difference between a terminal, terminal emulator and a shell? I understand different shells have different special commands, history etc. What separates one terminal e.g. xterm from something like Terminator?
>>
I'm kind of looking up bash as I go and was wondering which one's better.

if ls *.flac; then something something;
or
if [ -f *.flac ]; then something something

I want it to run if there's at least one FLAC file in the directory.
>>
How do i downgrade to gtk3 3.18?
Just installing 3.18 dosent do anything and every gui program errors out about missing gtk3
>>
>>54378836

> Stupid question, what's the difference between a terminal, terminal emulator and a shell? I understand different shells have different special commands, history etc. What separates one terminal e.g. xterm from something like Terminator?
Different features, shortcuts, etc. It's like asking what separates Firefox and Chromium.
>>
Got a little problem with rsnapshot.

It stopped adding and deleting files to the backup. rsnapshot sync works fine and the files sync but as soon as I invoke daily/weekly backups the new daily.0 gets created but the content is exactly the same as for the rsnapshot sync command.
>>
>>54378915
it's like you're spreading misinformation just to provoke someone into searching the answer and writing it here.
>>54378836
a terminal emulator runs in a graphical environment. A terminal runs outside one. A shell is the environment in your terminal [-emulator] which interprets your commands.
I might have gotten something wrong here, because I didn't want to search the web for you when you can do it yourself, but it should be 70% correct or so
>>
>>54378836

Terminal (tty) = eyes = the place where you run commands (accessable via CTRL+ALT+F1-F6)
Shell = hands = the tool you use to run commands

To have eyes and hands to run commands in a graphical enviroment (your desktop) you need an emulator: gnome-terminal, xterm, urxvt, terminator, etc.
>>
>>54378836
[terminal emulator (runs the inception inside a window) [ terminal (manages shell and commands) [ shell (manages commands [ commands ] ] ] ]
>>
Video editing: ffmpeg is pretty comfy for basic stuff like filters and converting file formats, but is there something with a graphical interface for true video editing autism?
>>
>>54379183
Try OpenShot for video editing.
>>
>>54379183
Will look into it. Merci.
>>
>>54379206
>>54379198
>>
>>54379002

So, you're saying there's a difference between xterm and Terminator other than the features they offer?
>>
What's pacman's equivalent of apt-get's group install (like build-essential, etc...)?
>>
Working on a fresh Gentoo install. Wi-fi card finally worked after some flailing around, culminating in a ip link set up incantation.
Is that a one time thing, or does this need to go into some config file and run at every boot?
>>
>>54379325
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Installing_package_groups
>>
>>54379367
Thanks familia
>>
>>54379288
xterm and terminator are both terminal emulators. In that sense, no, there is no difference between them.
If you don't have xorg installed and just boot into a command line, that's a terminal. And bash/zsh/fish are shells.
>>
Whats the equivalent to Custom resolution utility (CRU) on linux?
Id like to set 1024x768 @ 115 Hz and other non-standard resolutions that my CRT supports
>>
>>54379674
xrandr
>>
>>54379720
but thats hard, theres no GUI
how am i supposed to do ANYTHING without GUI?
there gotta be some kind of frontend to make it easier... would apperciate it if you told me about one
>>
>>54379737
What's hard about typing
xrandr -s 1024x768

?
>>
>>54379737
I'm pretty sure that there's a gui-frontend for xrandr, just forgot the name. Check the www.
But srsly. cli is much more comfortable. Just get used to it and you'll enjoy it.
man xrandr
for all questions.
>>
tru dat flash doesn't work on loonix? I really need /f/ in my life
>>
>>54379761
hey, thanks a lot buddy
the thing is i wanted to use 1280x1024 for desktop and 1024x768 @115 Hz for games
and games dont seem to change from 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz if its my desktop resolution even when they are set at 1024x768 or 800x600
i can live with 1024x768 but its a little uncomfortable with many programs not supporting it well
>>
>>54379832
It works but why on earth would you want it?
>>
>>54379832
For /f/ nostalgia use Gnash.
For the web use html5 like everyone.
>>
>>54379923
Or copy link
>mpv link

or use the mpv addon and right click, open in mpv
>>
File: 1393356747576.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1393356747576.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
I was told if I'm going to code in C I should do it in Linux if I'm going to be using system calls. What distro is ideal for this, does it even matter, can I just pick the one with the coolest logo? Professor at uni told me to go with Ubuntu but I don't really like the look of it's UI, if that makes sense.
>>
>>54379994
It's not too late to switch your major
>>
do you know wget fu to get bunda pics /not thumbs/ from pinterest and tumblr? wget all pics_originals from_url
>>
>>54379994
yes, you can go with any distro. If you don't like Ubuntu's look you can instead install any of their derivatives: Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu MATE.. search for screenshots or boot from live-usbs to try them out.
If you really don't want to use Ubuntu then Fedora, Opensuse, Debian are all close to upstream, up-to-date (Debian needs an additional setting for that) and have large communities and all the software you might need.
>>
>>54379994
>Professor suggests Ubuntu
switch professor
>>
>>54380069
>Debian needs an additional setting for that
What are you talking about?
>>
>>54375125
Mine refuses to update the grub menu and shut down properly.What a disappoint.
>>
>>54380082
he probably means just changing the sources.list
>>
>>54379994
If you're only going to use it for programming, go with Trisquel. Based on Ubuntu, but completly free. RMS himself is using it.
>>
>>54380082
well you need to enable testing or unstable repositories to get Gnome 3.20, for example, or Plasma >4.X
The default install of Debian is stable, and that's a bit outdated. I don't program, but I understand that sometimes you might need a relatively new version of a library. Is that wrong?
>>
>>54380092
>>54380103
Thank you.
>>
File: 1448015771314.png (424 KB, 3224x707) Image search: [Google]
1448015771314.png
424 KB, 3224x707
>>54379994
Best logo around, my man.
>>
>>54366199
He means the message in gummiboot not the motd
>>
File: 1458913046313.png (54 KB, 568x542) Image search: [Google]
1458913046313.png
54 KB, 568x542
>>54380150
>>
>>54366657
>wpa "hacking tutorials"

dude hackers lmao
>>
>>54380070
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Professor,
is in fact, Uni/Professor, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Uni plus Professor.
Professor is not an educational institution unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning Uni system made useful by the Uni campus, libraries and vital education components comprising a full University as defined by your government.

Many countries users have a modified version of the Uni system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Uni
which is widely used today is often called "Professor", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the Uni system, developed by the department of education.

There really is a Professor, and these people are using him, but he is just a
part of the system they use. Professor is the teacher: the person in the system
that teaches the institution's resources to the other people that you study with.
The teacher is an essential part of an university system, but useless by itself;
he can only function in the context of a complete university system. Your Professor is
normally used in combination with the Uni educational system: the whole system
is basically Uni with Professor added, or Uni/Professor. All the so-called "Professor"
people are really people of Uni/Professor.
>>
how would i make a USB stick that i can stick into any computer and run Ubuntu off of preferably with all my files on that USB?

I have a 64GB USB and im currently running linux mint
>>
>>54380190
man dd
>>
>>54376983
Because the answer to the question about screenfetch fucking up is "kali is cancer"

please listen more
>>
>>54380190
partition it before hand, then dd the live cd onto one of those partitions.
>>
>>54379808
>>54379737

arandr, lxrandr, the list goes on. Just put your favourite letter in front of randr and it will most likely find a randr frontend.
>>
>>54380234
let's write grandr in sh with zenity as frontend!
>>
>>54380256
grandr() {
arandr
}
>>
The Bluetooth module on my X220 isn't working, although it shows up via lsusb. I would be appreciative of any ideas.
>>
>>54380256
alias grandr='while :; do xrandr -o left; sleep 1; xrandr -o right; sleep 1; done'
>>
>>54380321
Either a missing driver or not configured. I'd try booting from a live usb with another distro and DE, see if it works there. If not then you likely need a proprietary driver
>>
>>54380418
It works on Windows. I have no idea what else to do as it appears I have all the proper shit installed.
>>
>>54380418
It's a BCM2045B for reference.
>>
>>54380432
>it appears I have all the proper shit installed
What does that mean? What appears to be the proper shit to you?
>>
>>54380256

I'll create the logo and register the grandr.io domain.
>>
>>54380488
As in anything I could find at all related to the BCM2045B, Broadcom BT, etc. I'm running a full Plasma 5 install, so I also have all the BT packages that come with that.
>>
>>54380529
On which distro?

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/T60/etch
>>
>>54380538
Sorry, Arch.
>>
>>54380538
I have those modules already, unfortunately.
>>
>>54378755
I'm sorry I didn't stick to your holy distro parameters.
>>
>>54380572
loaded?
>>
>>54380579
Looks like it, yeah.
>>
>>54380573
That's ok, you just made yourself look a fool. Have fun being root.
>>
>>54380601
I am having fun, thanks
>>
>>54380629
coolio bro
>>
>>54380579
For shits and giggles, I reloaded thinkpad_acpi.
Guess what? worked. What the fuck. thanks Anon.
>>
>>54380321
i know it is silly, but check to see if it is disabled in bios.

did that with a sd card reader on my thinkpad, don't even remember switching it, so it never really struck me to check, until recently
>>
>>54380730
on a related note
>be me
>hurr durr I'll switch off my dvd drive in bios, I never use it anyway
>forget about it
>why can't I burn this dvd???
>>
>>54380785

I do this with my built-in ethernet NIC all the fucking time
>>
If I got a smart phone would I be able to stream music to it from mpd on my computer somehow?
>>
>>54381033
Yeah, use Ghost Commander from F-Droid. It can do all kinds of neat stuff.
>>
Recommended terminal emulators? I've been using xfce4-terminal for years and I want to try something with a bit more customization.

Preferably light but my laptop is pretty beefy so it probably doesn't matter.
>>
>>54381138
Urxvt
>>
>>54381138
URxvt
>>
>>54381033
MPDroid
>>
>>54381138
urxvt
>>
>>54381138
termite
>>
>>54381138
URxvt
>>
>>54381105
>>54381282
wow, I can hardly believe this is possible, so cool. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get rid of my ancient nokia.
>>
>>54380203
>>54380233
Whats the dd command to get it on the partition?

>i may be retarded
>>
>>54381723
if=inputfile of=outputfile

dd if=foo.iso of=pathtousb

you can also set the speed, but defaults should work
>>
>>54372319
install gtk and KDE and use xfce

literally everything works, way fucking better. and you can run kde specific shit like krita
>>
Hey guys. I'm forkbombing myself while being protected using ulimit - it works fine, no new processes over the limit, but I've one problem: I can't, because of the limit, create a new process to actually kill the running bomb.

How to work around this?
>>
I installed debian on my thinkpad cause I got sick of fedora. I'm pretty comfortable with linux but I messed up. Got an error for non free drivers (wifi card) skipped it and was planning on getting the drivers with an Ethernet cable. Can't find a cable anywhere swear I had some kicking around. No wifi can't get a hardline what do?
>>
>>54382367
Phone/USB stick
>>
>>54382399
Yea I have the drivers on a usb stick but keep getting no executable file errors marked it as executable tried executing from terminal to no avail
>>
Is there a way to know if a free distro will support my hardware without installing it IRL? In a virtual machine perhaps? Or is there a list where I ca check if there are free drivers available for my hardware?
>>
>>54382418
I must be retarded but I can't figure this out. When I try to extract the file I get can't run the archiver executable failed to execute child process "ar" (no such file or directory)
>>
>>54382418
If it is a .deb package install it with sudo dpkg -i ...thing.deb
>>
>>54382321
Kill from a different terminal?
>>
Since updating to Xubuntu 16.04, I've noticed that when I wake my laptop up from suspension, the mouse isn't visible. I can use the mouse, but I can't see it. I do CTRL+ALT+F1 and then CTRL+ALT+F7, and then it reappears. But I'd like a more permanent solution.
>>
>>54382569
You gotta love the 'buntus
>>
Just installed profile-sync-daemon on Arch Linux, set the Firefox cache size to 1gb+ and symlinked .cache/mozilla/profile to my profile folder managed by PSD. Firefox is very speedy now (this is not just placebo).

The reason I didn't entirely disable the disk cache in Firefox natively and only enabled RAM cache is because I wanted it to be persistent.
>>
>>54382430
can't you just google the name of the driver and check the repository
or install from source if necessary
>>
>>54382532
It doesn't allow me to creat a new process, doesn't matter what program it is. Let's say, I have two terminals, side by side, one starts the fork bomb, the bomb starts processes till the limit - and here is the end. When I go to the second terminal and try to kill the bomb, I get an error message that no new processes can be created.
>>
>>54382509
Awesome thanks that did it
>>
>>54382430
Think there's a tool somewhere on the debian website which can do that
>>
>>54382624
Huh, I right ulimit was per tty, sure your not out of pids! Anyway, try spamming ctrl+c and/or ctrl+\ at the problem terminal
>>
Can I add a low latency kernel to my buntu so that I can choose which one to use at startup?
>>
>>54383508
yes but there's very little reason to switch back to the regular one.
>>
File: Untitled.png (283 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
283 KB, 2560x1440
I used to run Linux on my daily driver, but after building my new gaming computer I have been using windows pretty much exclusively. I would like to dual boot on my desktop and the pic attached is a list of my specs. Iirc radeon cards are better supported on linux so I'm hoping I have a leg up there. I don't need a distro for beginners and it doesn't need to be lightweight, but I also don't want to run something heavy like ubuntu with unity. I just want something with fairly robust features out of the box and is power user friendly, but I don't want to have to fix my installation every week. Two years ago when I was still up to date I was running crunchbang and would like to stick with something debian based with aptitude out of the box, but other than that I have no idea what the best distros are now. Any suggestions?
>>
>>54384159
Install debian and openbox?
>>
File: 1462148370346.jpg (239 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1462148370346.jpg
239 KB, 800x800
Hey guys, I'm running Debian Testing with GNOME.

I'm dual booting with a small Windows partition for certain games.

I've configured my mouse to have a certain DPI with the propietary tool it shipped with on Windows. I have my Windows sensitivity set to 6/11, with acceleration turned off

How can I replicate my Windows 6/11 sensitivity and no acceleration on Debian? The DPI should be the same because the tool on Windows saves it to the hardware itself. So I just need to know how to change the software sensitivity/accel on Debian.

GNOME's Settings GUI has a Mouse Sensitivity slider with no numbers (so I don't know what would match 6/11) and no Acceleration toggle. Was googling around and found this solution from the Arch Wiki, but I'm not sure if it would apply to Debian as well (I don't know the version of libinput my machine has)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration

>Mouse acceleration has changed dramatically in recent X server versions; using xset to disable acceleration doesn't work as it used to and is not recommended anymore.

>To completely disable any sort of acceleration/deceleration, create the following file:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
EndSection

>and restart X.

>Since libinput-1.1.0-1 and xf86-input-libinput-0.15.0-1 you can use a flat acceleration profile which will give a 1:1 mapping of physical to virtual mouse movements. To enable it put this in the following file:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
Driver "libinput"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelProfile" "flat"
EndSection

>and restart X.

Thank you for your time
>>
>>54384314
xset
>>
>>54384341
>Mouse acceleration has changed dramatically in recent X server versions; using xset to disable acceleration doesn't work as it used to and is not recommended anymore.
>>
>>54384346
>xorg 1.8.3
>i use it every day
>it works pefecting fine for my g700 and naga 2012
>in my wm start up file
>xset m 0 0
>xset m 1 0

>arch wiki,not apply to you
KEK
>>
>>54384389
>praises arch wiki in his post
>then proceeds to ignore its warning in favor of his anecdotal "werks on my computer"

if you're going to try to make fun of new people at least be internally consistent
>>
Okay, so on OpenSuse/Xfce my laptop just shut down automatically, even though it's charging. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Why?
>>
>>54384415
>he can't live with dichotomy
>laughingphilosophers.jpg
>>
>>54384698
>shitposting anon in charge of identifying dichotomies
>>
Here's something for all you folks who use firefox but want flash. I stopped using flash ages but i use this on family's computers who use GNU/Linux but wish to play [spoiler]facebook games[/spoiler]

Download Google Chrome For GNU/Linux

Get the libpepflashplayer.so from /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash In the .deb and put it somewhere safe.

sudo apt-get install cmake gcc g++ pkg-config ragel libasound2-dev \
libssl-dev libglib2.0-dev libpango1.0-dev libgl1-mesa-dev \
libevent-dev libgtk2.0-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev \
libxcursor-dev libv4l-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libavcodec-dev \
libva-dev libvdpau-dev libdrm-dev libicu-dev libpulse-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libsoxr-dev

git clone https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin.git
cd freshplayerplugin
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo ..
make
sudo make install

nano ~/.config/freshwrapper.conf
pepperflash_path = "/home/:^)/mylocation"
>>
>>54384943
Why would you need flash? Honestly, this baffles me.
>>
>>54385111
>anon in charge of reading fake spoilers
>>
>>54385161
Yeah I read that, it still baffles me. Do people other than 12 year old kids play facebook games?
>>
>>54385202
Whether we like it or not, Facebook is still a thing. And middle-aged people playing facebook games is also still a thing.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.