[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: I have no idea what I'm doing.jpg (68 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
I have no idea what I'm doing.jpg
68 KB, 1024x577
"Join our IRC chatroom" edition - see below

Previously on: >>54273885 (Cross-thread)

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
>>54307891
Did not work out.
Now then doing install all over again aaand, after mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/home it says
Mount: mount point /mnt/home does not exist
Then how am I supposed to add home?
>>
>>54308044
Do I just need to create it?
>>
>>54308044
>>54308079
yes: mkdir /mnt/home

there's a flag for the mount command that does this automatically, I'm sure.. but I don't know it atm
>>
>>54308113
Oooh I get it now, and that is why I printed mkdir for boot. Thank you all a ton, I'm really greatful
>>
Previous thread was >>54289841
I fucked up.
>>
Ok so maybe you guys can help me cause looking online has not helped at all.

I installed ubntu over my Win 7 installation partly cause my drive just needed to be wiped, and partly because I wanted to try linux.

After playing on Linux for a bit, I realized that there are two programs that I really need that are only on Windows, so I want to dual boot my Ubuntu with Win 10 now.

I have two boot drives with Win 10 and my Ubuntu distro.

For some reason, even after installing and setting up grub it does not detect ANY bootable usb drive.

Non at all. I have changed tons of settings of my motheboard trying to get it to work, but it doesn't.

Boot repair doesn't work. I have googled and tried this for so long now, probably reset over a hundred times in the past two or three days trying to get this to work.

Anyone have any ideas whats up?
>>
>fucking around with SSH
>realise I can forward x11

That's fucking awesome. Does it require a desktop environment at all or is this seperate?
>>
>>54308044
>>54308003
You dont want /home in /mnt
you want /home in your root directory /
Listen to what i say.Use blkid,it will save you problems down the road as you learn linux
For future knowledge,you need to make the folder in /mnt because you can mount it.
So,mkdir /mnt/data then mount /sdXY /mnt/data
>>
File: meAndMySquad.png (869 KB, 762x765) Image search: [Google]
meAndMySquad.png
869 KB, 762x765
>>54306409

I am trying to get Content-MD5 directive working on apache2.

I tried to edit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file and add
ContentDigest On

After reload & restart, it doest not return Content-MD5 header.

I tried also to edit sites-available VirtualHost, but no luck again.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>54308231
I think he was talking about the part of the installation where you are supposed to mount it under /mnt/home, though I'm somewhat confused what he is actually trying to do
>>
>>54308013
How do I get Chromium to show thumbnails in the file picker?
>>
>>54308283
You dont need to mount home when you're installing,as nothing goes there.The install is only touching root. So mount /dev/sdX to /mnt
Then chroot in to /mnt and finish the install.
You dont need to mount /home now but make sure you put it in your fstab for when you reboot.
>>
File: 1456019219171.png (279 KB, 386x362) Image search: [Google]
1456019219171.png
279 KB, 386x362
>>54308300
You can't.
>>
>>54308300
Install gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view
>>
>>54308311
Anonymous please
>>
>>54308330
It's true. You can't.
>>
>>54308328
Thanks anon, will try.
>>
File: Mac_Linux_USB_Loader_Icon.png (125 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Mac_Linux_USB_Loader_Icon.png
125 KB, 512x512
What's the lifespan of a Live USB?
>>
>>54308358
Depends on how much you use it
>>
>>54308428
12 hours a day
>>
Why do i literally get half the battery life on ubuntu that I do on windows 10 on my laptop?
>>
>>54308198
You don't need a DE or X11 on your SSH server, but you do need it on your client.
The program on your server will connect to the X11 server running on your client, through the SSH connection.
This takes a lot of bandwidth and can be slow.
>>
>>54308488
>You don't need a DE or X11 on your SSH server, but you do need it on your client.
Ah interesting, more things I can cut down on then. I'm still figuring out what I actually need.

Yeah I noticed messing around with virtualbox window over SSH makes network usage spike to ~20mb/s. I've managed to lower it a bit using compression.

Is it pretty much unusable over the internet?
>>
PacBang vs ArchBang?
>>
>>54308198

You obviously need an X session running to forward it.
>>
>>54308571

>install arch like it's meant to be used
>install openbox
>problem solved

Also, if you have to ask: you probably don't need it.
>>
>>54308541
>Is it pretty much unusable over the internet?
In my experience it's pretty slow. You wouldn't want to use it as a substitute for running a program locally.
>>
>>54308619
>not using gigabit on lan
>not using jumbo frames
>>
Does anyone know how to remove a substring in bash by index?
 &{string#substring} 

exists, but that removes the substring by its content.
>>
>>54308796
what do you mean?
Can you give an example input and expected output?
>>
>>54308809
in :
 kektus-19:38-yourmum 

out :
 kektus-19:-yourmom 
>>
>>54308851
the easiest way would probably just to replace it then.
str="kektus-19:38-yourmum"
echo ${str/:*-/:-}
>>
Cant start netctl/systemd-networkd,and various other servies.Pam/polkit keeps killing it when its started.
-- Subject: Unit netctl.service has finished start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit netctl.service has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2328]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux polkitd[8404]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:2329:18091839 (system bus name :1.123, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, l
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2335]: user : TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/user ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl start netctl
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2335]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Apr 30 13:40:44 linux sudo[2335]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
>>
>>54308894
thank you, but that won't work since the example I gave doesn't represent what I'm actually trying to achieve ( cutting out seconds out of string that has a time part )
>>
>>54308925
if it is more complicated and you won't post the real example, then try to use awk or cut.
>>
>>54308949
Just figured I don't have another choice
thanks anyway, anon
>>
I want to install Arch with a few engineering software packages on one of my workstations. The problem is my university limits our internet usage to a retardedly low amount.

I'm wondering if it's possible to take my SSD home and install linux with all the packages I need on it and generate the fstab files to make it bootable.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Can I do it from my current installation without using livemedia?
>>
Void or Arch?
>>
>>54308989
void if you don't like systemd, arch otherwise. It's possible to run arch without systemd, but I never managed to because of lack of tutorials
>>
>>54308986
Only if /boot / /home are all on the same partion. You wouldn need to fuck with other drives.
If they have special hardware,you will need to make sure its supported in your kernel,or you may need to compile it your self and patch it

>university limits
Thats the bigger problem,how can they expect anyone to get shit done educationally,if they cap educat ion
>>
>>54308974

Just Python it up.
>>
>>54309022
>lack of
So you mean this wiki that hand holds you isnt enough?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openrc

And these sources?:
http://www.calculate-linux.org/main/en/openrc_manuals
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Baselayout_1_to_2_migration
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC
>>
>>54309047
b-but runit is better than openrc, I wanted runit
>>
>>54309069
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Runit
>>
what is openbsd and is it better than gnu/linux?
>>
>>54309088
a unix derivate with high security
>better
it depends on your usecase. Best for servers, yes.
>>
>>54309027

They fucking capped me at 1GB. This IT department is retarded and thinks we're still in the 80s, my previous institution gave me unlimited access even as a lowly undergrad. I'm just going to get my own wifi set up eventually.
>>
>>54309126
>>54308986
Also found there's actually a good wiki article on this. Sweat.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux
>>
>>54309126

During installation, Arch downloads not more than 150MB for the base system. With Xorg and some desktop environment packages it shouldn't be more than 250MB. You can then download the other packages at your home with the -w flag and install them on your workstation later (pacman -U). Just make sure you also get the dependencies.
>>
>>54309121
isn't rhel best for servers?
>>
>>54309186

Stop asking such cringe-worthy, meaningless questions. Why would it be "the best"? What does "best" even mean? You're doing nothing but propagating myths and misinformation.
>>
>>54309180
>You can then download the other packages at your home with the -w flag and install them on your workstation later (pacman -U). Just make sure you also get the dependencies.
Ah thanks that's very useful.
>>
>>54309186
for large enterprise servers maybe
>>
>>54309213
>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>Friendly
>>
>>54308949
what is faster / less computation?
>>
File: 1448065172702.jpg (2 MB, 3250x4333) Image search: [Google]
1448065172702.jpg
2 MB, 3250x4333
>>54308796
${#variable}                   # Find the length of the string.
${variable^} # Uppercase single.
${variable^^} # Uppercase all.
${variable,} # Lowercae single.
${variable,,} # Lowercase all.
${variable~} # Swap case single.
${variable~~} # Swap case all.
${variable%pattern} # Remove from shortest rear (end) pattern.
${variable%%pattern} # Remove from longest rear (end) pattern.
${variable#pattern} # Remove from shortest front pattern.
${variable##pattern} # Remove from longest front pattern.
${variable/pattern/string} # Find and replace (only replace first occurrence).
${variable//pattern/string} # Find and replace all occurrences.
${variable?string} # Complain if undefined.
${variable-string} # Use new value if undefined.
${variable+string} # Opposite of the above.
${variable=string} # Use new value if undefined, and redefine.
${variable:?string} # Complain if undefined or null.
${variable:-string} # Use new value if undefined or null.
${variable:+string} # Opposite of the above.
${variable:=string} # Use new value if undefined or null, and redefine.
${variable:num1:num2} # Substring:Offset:Length.
>>
So what are the advantages of using let's say Ubuntu over Arch with only the fonts, drivers, the DE of choice and basic software I use?
>>
What does a kernel exactly do? At which events do I know "this was done by the kernel"?
>>
>>54309421
Makes the hardware talk to the software
>>
>>54309421
I don't properly understand the underlines but here's a story to help you:

When I moded my PSP even tho my firmware was let's say version 3.5 and I was able to run 3.5 homebrew apps and new games, becaue of the differences in kernels I couldn't run firmware 1.5 apps

So I could choose to boot with 1.5 kernel but keep using the 3.5 features - everything else such as UI.

A kernel is the "soul" of the thing.
>>
>>54309421
dmesg -T
>>
File: 1438382434744.gif (560 KB, 500x241) Image search: [Google]
1438382434744.gif
560 KB, 500x241
>>54309459
>>
>>54308796
fuck me. the easiest way is to concatenate variables.
>>
>>54309421
Correct me if I'm wrong:
As far as I know, a kernel is a translator. Software speaks softwarish, hardware hardwareish, the kernel tells each other what they are saying. Sometimes some hardware doesn't tell what words it understands. Then you need a language plugin such as propritary firmware.
>>
Pls help.

I can't set up NetworkManager on Arch
>>
>>54309821
>NetworkManager
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager
>>
>>54309843
I followed it to a tee, dude.

it does not work

I installed NetworkManager, the applet, xfce4-notifyd

AFTER disabling uninstalling all networking except for dhcpcd service in systemctl

Still won't work... So I did systemctl start NetworkManager, systemctl enable NetworkManager and the meme shit does not work
>>
>>54309821
>literally a single command
>can't set up
dumb arch user
>>
>>54310005
>he thinks i did not do that
>>
>>54309923
post journal -xe
>>
>>54308194
You'll have to re-format the motherboard
>>
>>54310028
Ok never mind I got it working finally.

Just had to restart services and then install gnome-keying for some fucking reason

I don't like the layout of this tbqhwy(to be quite honest with you).

I liked wicd A LOT more, it felt more... featureful I guess.

what network manager does /flt/ use?
>>
Is there a good laser printer that is compatible with raspberry pi 3 using archlinux?
>>
File: kvmbanner-logo3.png (16 KB, 200x62) Image search: [Google]
kvmbanner-logo3.png
16 KB, 200x62
I made a whole thread about it and then realized this one exists.

I'm trying to set up a virtual machine through KVM on Ubuntu. I'm completely clueless about OSes and their inner workings in general, so this question might be kinda stupid.

I have two partitions, one ext4 which is where I installed Linux, and a "shared" NTFS partition because I didn't know if I'd ever dual boot. Should I use an ext4 filesystem, or can I use my shared partition? Do I have anything to lose or gain from using one or the other?
>>
>>54310382
i printed pics of ur mom's pussie on my laser printer wanna see them
>>
>>54309186
RHEL is used because enterprise software is made specifically for it. I prefer .deb distros most of the time because I don't need to mess with third party repositories for basic stuff.
>>
>>54310186
I use wicd-curses.

>>54310802
>enterprise software
RHEL is for retards who fall for buzzwords
>>
>>54310818
What do you call expensive stuff used only by businesses?
>>
>>54310818
>buzzwords
This. The same reason companies pay $1000 cash for fonts like Helvetica.
>is expensive
>must be professional
>>
>looking around my music directory
>leave my mouse over a song for a few seconds
>it starts playing

holy shit, didn't even know. that's really cool.
>>
>just installed debian
>installing AMD drivers

" /lib/modules/4.3.0-1-amd64/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h " not found

What am I missing? I installed make + gcc but it still does not work.
>>
>>54310886
What distro/file manager? I would be scared/annoyed by such features.

>leave mouse over script for a few seconds
>it runs
>>
>>54310886
Sounds pretty gay tbqh
>>
>>54310942
using MATE

and it doesn't do that with scripts, that would be silly
>>
Hey /g/.
Should i install Opensuse Leap, Tumbleweed, or 13.2?
>>
>>54311085
leap
>>
Does clonezilla work on windows 8.1?
I ask because on their website it says clonezilla requires: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, or GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54309923

>except for dhcpcd service in systemctl
>except for

Nigga, you must disable EVERYTHING, including the dhcpcd service. You didn't follow the Wiki to a T. If you had, you would have read that.
>>
>>54308013
>/lib/modules/4.3.0-1-amd64/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h

is missing from my debian unstable install when trying to install 280x drivers, what do?
>>
>>54311135
take it to the friendly windows thread kiddo
>>
>>54311192
i ask here because clonezilla is a gnu/linux based software
if there actually is a windows thread id gladly take it there too tho lol
>>
>>54311169
Your current kernel does not support it
>>
is there any way that I can have tray icons/applets show up on the left side of the i3bar instead of the far right?
>>
>>54311248
if you use the live version of clonezilla then sure, why wouldn't it work? the system requirement of software is just if you're not using the live version, which i don't understand why anyone would do
>>
>>54311333
Windows installation media may be needed to run Startup Repair and get it to boot after cloning. Windows can be weird like that.
>>
>>54311333
Because the system requirements I posted are from the clonezilla live page
http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

>>54311362
I'm not looking to clone, I'm looking to recover my hard drive in case I fuck up my os
>>
>>54311391
>>54311391
that page is a little old I think, and if you read on down the page, those requirements are just for creating the liveusb/cd of clonezilla because yes some people are foolish enough to think they can they can somehow download and create a liveusb/cd without an os/after they've fucked their os beyond repair. you gotta remember to take normies into account
>>
if I'm adding a second drive to my pc just as a simple large volume should I just use "defaults" as the options?
>>
>>54311460
I was thinking the same thing
Mind you I'm quite the normie myself, so I thought if the page is old, the software must be just as outdated, so maybe they didn't make the upgrades required for it to work with newer windows
I will assume you know what you're talking about and go through with it shortly though
The other thing I was wondering is does it have to be installed on it's own drive completely?
Or can I install it on the same external hard drive I want to put the backup image on
>>
>>54311169
I have Kernel 4.3, why wouldn't it work?
>>
>>54311604
Here is my fstab entry for my media drive.
/dev/sdb1        /mnt/sdb    ext4        defaults,noexec,nofail,noatime,comment=x-gvfs-show    0 2

The comment option is for the drive to show up in Thunar's side panel.
>>
>>54311635
you can install it to a flash drive or cd, then save the image wherever you like
>>
>>54311731
ok
im left with questions still but maybe i can figure the rest out myself from here
thanks a lot partner :)
much appreciated
>>
>>54311273
>>54311681
>>
how stable is neon relative to kubuntu?
>>
>>54312217
Neon will use 16.04 but update KDE.
So stable core and probably a better experience as the bugs in the DE gets fixed as you update rather than when you update your distro.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-30_18-03-56.png (17 KB, 558x524) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-30_18-03-56.png
17 KB, 558x524
Can someone explain how to fix these dashed lines in Transmission? This is a fresh install of Mint xfce where I have changed my theme to Arc.
>>
Anyone tried the new version of the linux version of reaper? Trying it now, it's pretty cool.
>>
>>54312842
That isnt a bug,its part of the ui
>>
>>54312842
Either your theme is too new for your version of GTK, or your GTK version is too new for your theme.
>>
weird-ish issue.

On a cold boot on my laptop, my wifi card is disabled, and won't connect on boot. The only way I've found to turn it on is to start dhcpcd, but I still can't connect using wifi-menu. In order to connect, I have to reboot, and then use wifi-menu.

this laptop has an fn-key combo to turn the card on and off that doesn't work in linux, but there's a led that indicates wifi status. it's red, until i start dhcpcd, and then it's white. if I wait too long after starting dhcpcd, it turns off, and even restarting won't help wifi-menu work.

how the fuck did I mess this shit up?

using arch, naturally.
>>
Any idea why grep gives me argument list too long?

I'm trying to fix the names of some files but grep just errors.

Library is the file I wanna search
files is the directory

Bash script:
#!/bin/bash

library=$(<~/libraryfile)
files=$(find /location/ -type f)

while read line
do

if [ ! -z $(grep "$line" "$library" ) ]
then
echo "$line" >> brokenfiles
fi

done <<< "$files"
>>
>>54313659
Your shit is fucked up,and you didnt configure something right. Go over your configs
>>
So I just installed i3 and for some reason steam and spotify will not open for me, steam just doesn't opem, and spotify will pop up for like 2 seconds with a blank screen then close
>>
>>54314114
run from console post log
>>
>>54314114
who cares of your WM / DE
post distribution and logs
anyway, your answer will be here (probably)
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting
>>
>>54310933
I started to google but don't have the faith to spoonfeed you.
Just google debian version.h not found
you should find something related. Even if it's about fedora, stuff like those works the same way, whatever your distribution.

>>54308485
because linux doesn't care that you're using a laptop, unlike windows that do a lot of things to save your battery life.
But you can improve it
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop
>>
So I'm pretty new to linux, have mint rosa.
for a couple things to run right, i need to update my opengl.
But the update is hidden as the first of the level 4 "unsafe updates: Could potentially affect the stability of the system"
Am I fine doing it anyway?
Is there a way to "roll back" that particular update without backing up all my stuff and reinstalling?
>>
>>54314133
this is for steam
>>
>>54314313
nigga did you really just screenshot it
lol it in code or pastebin

Looks like you need to install lib32-nvidia and pals
>>
>>54314133
>>54314313
spotify
>>
>>54314338
install those libs it is crying about, mine doesn't have those but has the rest of it.
>>
>>54313659
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration#Troubleshooting
>>
Do you guys know why a lot of industrial operations and US military use Linux?
My friend is a former marine who worked on radar stuff, and he says they used Linux.
>>
File: 1368902939815.jpg (20 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1368902939815.jpg
20 KB, 640x480
Goddammit guys. Conky was working fine, now it's not. Only thing I did was do an update. When I do
conky -d
it flashes on the desktop for a second, then disappears.

I am running Fedora 22. Here's my conky.conf: http://pastebin.com/dzZH0z0S I have a conky.desktop file in my autostart folder, which worked before.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>54314677
What's the error? Conky should output what went wrong.
>>
>>54314677
try
own_window_type panel
or
own_window_type desktop
>>
What performance loss can I expect in games if I run Windows 10 on a vm, while having a Linux distro as my main OS?
>>
>>54314823
>windows 10 in vm
You made me spill my mountain dew
>>
>>54314724
Only error I get is when I have own_window_type set to 'conky' and it doesn't like that. It goes away when I set it to either of these >>54314748 , however neither one makes it visible on the desktop.
>>
>>54314823
I'm running Windows 10 in a VM with a hardware passthrough of a video card (GTX 970) and I'm getting near full performance in games. Definitely doable, just a bit difficult to set up.
>>
>>54314823
Actually the performance is much better. I tested a shooter on Windows and then in WINE, result was: 20 fps more in WINE than on Windows. I don't know about VM results.
>>
>>54314995
Opengl is better optimized then directx.
You may be running the "fallback" mode and loaging it
>>
>>54314879
What is the problem with this?

alignment top_right
background yes
update_interval 1.0
own_window yes
own_window_type desktop
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_argb_value 80
own_window_title no
own_window_hints undecorated,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,sticky
own_window_argb_visual yes
double_buffer yes
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
no_buffers yes
minimum_size 240 400
gap_x 10
gap_y 10
uppercase no
use_xft yes
xftfont Hack:size=10
default_color A74301
temperature_unit celsius

The default conky.conf file works fine, mine does not.
>>
File: 1442547964449.png (201 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1442547964449.png
201 KB, 3000x2000
pmub
>>
I want to rice GRUB, but I'm unsure what file I should edit since there are many different GRUB configs. Which one is the right one?
>>
>>54314529
My problem isn't really covered on that page.

going through manual setup works fine.

If I had to guess, I'd say "ip link wlp2s0 up" or whatever the command is, doesn't happen in the course of boot. How do I rectify that?
>>
>>54316373
>pmub
?
>>
>>54316668
Read backwards. Thread was about to 404.
>>
>>54316735
clever girl
>>
I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 and I want to add a new resolution, 2560x1080

I fallowed instructions in this video: https://youtu.be/LiP-YqtZoNQ
but when I select the newly added resolution, the screen just goes off. Any help?
>>
on debian testing. can i remove gdm, or will doing that cause issues?
>>
File: 1458447785870.png (105 KB, 883x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458447785870.png
105 KB, 883x1024
So, what's the best Linux?
>>
>>54317272
Gentoo
>>
>>54317272
>>
Torrent client?
>>
>>54317272
I'd say 4.5.2 is pretty good
>>
>>54317350
deluge FTW
>>
>>54317350
I've been pretty blown away trying Transmission out this past week. I came from Winblows and ShitTorrent, so take that for what it's worth.

>>54317361
I thought Deluge was mobile-only? Guess I was mistaken.
>>
>>54317350
I've recently switch to deluge-console on account of rtorrent being so shit at filesystems somehow. I need a CLI client though so I don't have many great options. I wouldn't recommend deluge-console, but deluge anything else should be good.
>>
>>54317350
rtorrent + rutorrent if you can be fucked setting it up. It's especially good if you want to access it remotely and/or have it run on a server.
>>
File: 26555-nia_teppelin_66.jpg (609 KB, 2432x3491) Image search: [Google]
26555-nia_teppelin_66.jpg
609 KB, 2432x3491
Here's a pretty straightforward question: how do I set mpv as the default player for .mkv files? I think you all know what that's about.
>>
>>54317387
That depends pretty heavily on your distribution and desktop environment.
>>
>>54317404
Wow, I wasn't expecting to feel silly that quickly. I'm using Xubunutu 16.04 with the standard DE, no big customizations.
>>
>>54317272
Linux-libre
>>
>>54317422
Never mind, I figured it out. My bad for missing the obvious.
>>
>>54317272
4.5.2 just werks
>>
>>54317008
tail .local/share/xorg/xorg.0.log
>>
here's a video about Linux running in weird appliances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbAXKMCDkY
>>
File: 1445216024695.jpg (129 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1445216024695.jpg
129 KB, 500x367
>>54317799
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54317852
yeah anon, but in this video I think they're actually referring to the kernel itself and not just GNU/Linux distros (in some cases at least)
>>
>>54317990
a kernel alone can't do anything
>>
>>54318016
but the Linux kernel can do stuff without all of the GNU stuff
>>
>>54318071
no
>>
>>54318076
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justlinux
>Linux is used by itself, or with small other programs, in some appliances. These small software systems are a far cry from the GNU/Linux system. Users do not install them on PCs, for instance, and would find them rather disappointing. It is useful to say that these appliances run just Linux, to show how different those small platforms are from GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54318136
No matter how small the software system is, a kernel needs a layer/an operating system to work. Let's say you want to run Linux to control a smart-TV, you need something like busybox that does the actual job. The kernel itself just translates between soft- and hardware.
>>
>>54301075
First, I am glad to say it works properly on my machine. I'm on arch btw. I see no reason it won't work on mint. The tagging is perfect in a trial of ~100 images. That is images that are on the database are tagged properly and images not are in the database are left alone (ie no random tags are added). I also changed it so that &#039; become a ' which you may not want since some people get upset about 's in filenames. You could change it to 's/&#039;//'.

I also have the minimumsimilarity=85 in .saucetagger.conf. A bit lower would probably still work.

I don't know why it doesn't work for you. I thought you were trying to run it on windows or something. Can you do "bash -x iqdb_tagger" (or whatever you named it) and post the output? If you want to execute it directly, have you done something like "chmod 700 iqdb_tagger && ./iqdb_tagger"? There are no syntax errors to stop it from running.

Here's my modified version (there are some pointless changes), I'm probably still going to make more changes to it though.
http://pastebin.com/NFQPbfiE
>>
>>54318175
Nope. You can have your proprietary application as init from ramdisk. Don't even need a real filesystem.
>>
>>54318353
Still not Linux unto itself.
>>
File: 16294127.jpg (132 KB, 524x614) Image search: [Google]
16294127.jpg
132 KB, 524x614
Should I bother with Wine? I can't get good FPS playing my shmups.

D-dual boot.... d-dual boot seems nice.
>>
>>54318550
A-anon... d-do you want to fuck?
>>
>>54318568
y-yes...
>>
>>54318550
First-person shooter != shoot 'em up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_'em_up

Or is your computer struggling with actual shoot 'em ups?
>>
>>54318596
I think FPS means "Frame Per Second", in this case.
>>
>>54318596

FPS = frames per second.

I'm struggling with shmups via steam (Ikaruga, Mushi, CC, all of them runs like shit).
>>
>>54318550
I have an i3 and running an eroge in wine uses about 50% of my CPU. I have no GPU.
>>
I'm the guy from yesterday who was trying to become proficient in i3 in a day. Failed dismally and now I'm back to my first love, eOS. It feels good to be back. Got eclipse up and running and that's all I really need.
>>
>>54308013
sup g

So whats this no AMD graphics driver deal?
I have a MSI R7 370 4gb but I can tell I works like shit on buntu 16.04. Should I just sell it and get a Nivida or does it matter? Pls healp m8s, Ive already had Xorg go out on me once and I can tell its only a matter of time before it goes again.
>>
I installed Linux Mint recently, and I want to change my window manager to openbox from Muffin. Can I run Openbox instead of Muffin, but still use Cinnamon DE?
>>
>>54318750
I found i3 effortless, but I didn't like how windows couldn't be resized by exact rows/columns, so I went back to XFCE. I like to make my editor window exactly as wide as my current project's style guide dictates.
>>
>>54318823
I mean the controls were intuitive but the thing that killed me was having to use mod+d to get stuff up and running. I am somewhat proficient in linux, but I do not know the names of all the utilities for like wifi connections and whatnot. I'll definitely continue to use it on my X220 though.
>>
>>54318769

Yes, but what's the point? What do you think Openbox will do different than Muffin?
>>
>>54317385

Installing qbittorrent or qbittorrent-nox is simpler and doesn't require setting up a full blown http server for a web interface.
Why do you people always recommend the most complicated, overblown solution to the simplest "problems"?
>>
>>54316461

>ricing something you're not even supposed to see

It's time to stop.
>>
>>54316547

Just use NetworkManager, pal.
>>
How do I get chromium to not look like shit on most up to date stable Debian xfce
>>
File: truth.png (282 KB, 1511x618) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
282 KB, 1511x618
>>54314334
>>
>>54317053
It will probably remove gnome, but you can force it. Do you plan on using another dm? Install one and dpkg reconfigure gdm
>>
>>54314555
How would they be able to trust windows or mac os if they are part of PRISM?
A country should not be dependent on a private company for anything.
>>
>>54319236
By installing firefox aurora and applying the developer theme.
>>
Yo how do I manage USBs and phones without a full-on file manager? By this I mean doing automounting, mtp, etc..
>>
upgraded to ubuntu 16.04, and now I'm missing the unity interface window borders and all of that, the only thing I can do is right click open a terminal and run programs through it, how do I unfuckup this?
>>
>>54320279
Back up your /home/ and whatever else and does a new install?
>>
>>54320279
Sudo aptitude reinstall unity-desktop (or however it's called)
>>
I've got Manjaro on laptop. On laptop screen everything is okay, but when I connect the external monitor via the hdmi, I've got screen tearing on it. My GPU is Ati Moblity Radeon HD 4570 and my monitor is Samsung SyncMaster P2270HD. On Ubuntu I had the same problem. Is it possible to fix it?
>>
I'm using Linux Mint w/ Openbox. It's forced me into using natural scrolling and persists, even when I disable it in multiple places.
>>
So I had teamviewer installed on ubuntu for a few days and got rid of it earlier.

I still have things running in connection with teamviewer. Under running processes I get
>C:\windows\system32\services.exe

and pic related are the files and connections it uses. Whats going on here?
>>
>>54321628
For some reason Teamviewer seems to close without ending the wineserver. You can correct this using
wineserver -k
. This should stop all *exe's.
>>
Reminder that if you use Red Hat Systemd Gnome Linux (that is, mostly every distro except Gentoo, Slackware, Void and some thers), you are part of the cancer killing GNU/Linux.
>>
Hello /g/
How do I disable UUID check or something like that that prevents me from booting into Manjaro from another PC
>>
>>54321709
Good, let the hate flow through you.
>>
>>54321664
Wine isn't even installed, unless teamviewer had some sort of wine included. sudo wineserver -k gives me a command not found error.
>>
Gentoo/Funtoo needs to die. It's a huge piece of crap meme, developed by a Windows + Google Chrome using retard. https://usesthis.com/interviews/daniel.robbins/

You can recompile and customize everything you want on literally every GNU/Linux distro. There's no need to compile half a day for every single browser update. Most gentoo users use binaries for things that take too long - and miss the whole point of using Gentoo/Funtoo: being meme'd.
>>
So I'm pretty much ready to switch to Ubuntu full time, as pretty much everything I want is supported, except for League of Legends. However, it doesn't run in WINE as well as it does on Windows by a pretty wide margin, so I'd like to do some form of GPU passthrough to run League. How do I go about doing this?
>>
>>54314313
>>54314338
you're asking for it
>post your i3 config
>>
>>54321913
It's probably easier to customize on a distro geared towards it.
>>
>>54321928
Open GAME.CFG ( Game/DATA/CFG/Defaults ) and replace "[MouseOverEffect]" "Style = 2" to "Style = 0" and every "Glow = 2" to "Glow = 0".
This should fix graphic errors with WINE.
>>
File: 16_savile2_g_w.jpg (134 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
16_savile2_g_w.jpg
134 KB, 1024x576
>>54321913
>I'm a retard who had problems I couldn't solve so I'm butthurt
>>
>>54316373
>free software logo that doesn't look like a 5 year old's creation
I'm impressed
>>
>>54322069
Logos that are seen by many people are usually pretty good. Why would anyone spend time to make logos for software that doesn't have a gui for example. Or for things you only rarely interact with.
>>
File: 1443267801348.png (242 KB, 3000x2933) Image search: [Google]
1443267801348.png
242 KB, 3000x2933
>page 6 again ...
Will dump the rest I converted. >>54316373
Maybe someone has use for it.
>>
File: 1435056812520.png (239 KB, 3000x3062) Image search: [Google]
1435056812520.png
239 KB, 3000x3062
>>54322631
>>
File: 1444700096650.png (59 KB, 3000x3015) Image search: [Google]
1444700096650.png
59 KB, 3000x3015
>>54322641
>>
File: 1450030108319.png (70 KB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
1450030108319.png
70 KB, 3000x2250
>>54322664
>>
File: 1453023392398.png (61 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1453023392398.png
61 KB, 3000x3000
>>54322670
>>
File: 1460872557224.png (43 KB, 3000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460872557224.png
43 KB, 3000x1200
>>54322676
>>
File: 1432299082234.png (78 KB, 3000x3520) Image search: [Google]
1432299082234.png
78 KB, 3000x3520
>>54322691
Last one.
>>
>>54322691
Design horror. My OCD senses are crying.
>>
>>54322056
Who is this guy and why do you keep posting him?
>>
File: 1982238727112-1.jpg (96 KB, 321x321) Image search: [Google]
1982238727112-1.jpg
96 KB, 321x321
>>54322737
>>
Hello, I have laptop with dual AMD graphics.

My graphics is "supported" HD6600M.

But when I boot ubuntu 16.04, it gets stuck at dots.

When I boot with grub option nomodeset, it boots but with small resolution and I can't change resolution.

Can someone help me fix this problem?

Thanks!
>>
>>54322745
#skillz
>>
>>54321913
I kinda agree. Fucking casuals don't even use their own distros.
>>
>>54322875
same fag
>>
Why is Linux so shit?
>>
>>54322930
Because binary blobs. Use Linux-libre.
>>
>>54322936
>le linux is only the kernel meme
epic
>>
>>54322942
>le
>>>/plebbit/
>>
File: GNUarcblack.png (82 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
GNUarcblack.png
82 KB, 3840x2160
>>54322631
>>Maybe someone has use for it.
I do, thanks. gonna use them for minimalistic freedom wallpapers
>>54322930
because it's monolithic i guess. it's pretty good for being an obsolete design though.
>>
Hey

I broke some themes in Cinnamon. Control selection has a lot of blank options, (only 2 actually work, Adwaita and contrast high) when I choose the blank ones only colors change, most shapes are not shown.

I guess installing custom control themes can fix this issue but I don't know how to do that either.

Can you guys help?
>>
Free memes for your terminals: http://pastebin.com/cEibTCNp
>>
>>54310818
There are a lot of vendors that will only support their package if it's on a RHEL based distro (RHEL,Fedora,CentOS)

This is because 'Enterprise Software' = 'Incompelte software, that must be customized for you'
>>
File: 1455758386410.png (12 KB, 414x237) Image search: [Google]
1455758386410.png
12 KB, 414x237
http://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-releases-ethical-evaluations-of-code-hosting-services
>>
>>54323357
thanks anon!
>>
I'm running mint cinnamon, and i've come to find out that I have 3.0 mesa 10.1.3
Is there a way to get 3.2 or higher?
>>
Will try Debian GNU/Hurd https://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/ now. Wish me luck.
>>
>>54324003
good luck, please report back, i'm kinda interested.
>>
>>54323642
>All JavaScript code served to the client is free, but does not work with LibreJS enabled.

So, we deduct points for the site even though the error lies with LibreJS, great logic they have.
>>
>>54324205
do you know what librejs does? it protects users from non-free javascript. if the site doesn't work properly without proprietary javascript it, in the eyes of the fsf, doesn't care about their users freedom.
>>
>>54308358
BUMP
>>
>>54324259
Can you read?
>All JavaScript code served to the client is free

So, either this estimation is wrong or LibreJS is not working as intended.
>>
Hi /fglt/ guys, I would ask about a single question I can't make it through.

Someone had the issue of when running distros in a virtual machine (hyper-v in my case) the OS doesn't recognize "the screen"? I wanted to mess around with res and some shit, but apparently, my OS thinks there's no screen connected.

Can I have some help? I can provide what you need.
>>
>>54308358
Infinity pretty much
>>
I don't know, but -
I once tried Icecat and was confronted with LibreJS, making half of the web not working. Then I read a bit about nonfree javascript and as far as I can see, these "nonfree" scripts are mainly just obsfucated aka minified scripts (makes sense to speed up page loading) or am I wrong?
>>
>>54324331
My real question is: How does Javascript violate my four freedoms?
>>
>>54324367
it runs non-free code on YOUR computer.
javascript in itself is not a problem, proprietary javascript is.
>>
>>54324384
What exactly makes it non-free?
>>
>>54324392
being licensed under a non-free license usually.
>>
>>54324401
What if the HTML code of a website is copyright'd? /r/ing LibreHTML!
>>
>>54324401
wut. Does that mean LibreJS searches through the code about license strings?!
>>
>>54324432
Free code is copyrighted as well.
>>
>>54324441
>>54324432
>>54324392
>>54324367
>>54324331
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html
>>
>>54324441
As far as I understand it, it actually does. This would explain the slower page loading at least. I haven't looked into it fully though.
>>
>>54324537
kek, true story: https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/manual/librejs.html#Free-Licenses-Detection
>>
File: Selección_030.png (76 KB, 676x405) Image search: [Google]
Selección_030.png
76 KB, 676x405
>>54323198
update: I installed Vertex theme but that didn't fix the lack of shapes. The problem seems to be something else.

As you can see in the top left, the menu buttons don't happen, I jsut get all their text smashed together. Some apps like Videos have the same problem.

What can this be? any ideas?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.