[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: 1446720103198.png (87 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1446720103198.png
87 KB, 3840x2160
Previously on: >>54273885

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqgPyqyh4X4
video related
>>
What distro and DE do pros use?
>>
>>54289962
Ubuntu Unity
>>
>>54289962
>>54289962
1. gentoo
2. >de
>>
What's the best tool for quick mind mapping?
>>
>>54289996
pen and paper.
>>
>>54289962
Babbies: Ubuntu, Mint
Teenagers: Arch, Gentoo
Gentlemen: Debian

Special snowflakes: Fedora
>>
>>54290032
(You)
>>
A month ago; i installed ubuntu to my laptop alongside windows 10 for learning linux and going into coding stuff. I am having a problem that i can not solve or found any answer google and gentoowiki.
Two days ago; after i logged into ubuntu, there was no sidebar and menu bar. Also windows are unable to move; and they have no icons in left top for closing or resizing. In boot screen; i use the recover mode for ubuntu; but the result was same. Also; in windows 10, there was a hardware problem. In logging screen, screen goes of and comes back multiple times; the wifi symbol goes to the ethernet symbol and back to the normal with a shorter signal (Windows try to recognize wifi card, at first, it recognizes but for some reason; it goes of to the ethernet symbol which i guess windows removing driver and after that using another driver that's not capable to use wifi card at all, wifi work again but with a less signal, in this proggres screen goes of and on multiple times, windows clearly try to figure out hardware)
Today i reinstalled ubuntu, it's working fine. But i am still having wifi problem in windows, and after entering into windows; it says "We found hardware changes. For effecting new changes; restart the computer" As you can guess; restarting does not work. I have tried to update all drivers; and for wifi, i also tried to downgrade it. Btw, in ubuntu; there is no problem after reinstalling. But still having wifi problem in windows.
Could you guys help me about that please?
>>
>>54289962
Any distro with decent package managements, usually .deb or .rpm, with whatever interface they like. I enjoy Ubuntu's Unity but it's a bit heavy for a chroot on a Chromebook so I'm using XFCE with all clutter hidden. At my desktop, all my GNU/Linux stuff is accessed via ssh to a laptop running Debian Sid.

The "n00b" distros are not any less capable than others. They just have more automated and pre-configured by default. People who use their computer primarily as a tool and not a toy prefer these easy distros. Not much transferable is learned with the less intuitive distros like Arch and Gentoo. The average user couldn't pass LPIC-1. You're best off keeping that stuff in virtual machines and spending your time cultivating actual skills.
>>
>>54290296
Thank you anon.
>>
File: 1461257563448.png (293 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
1461257563448.png
293 KB, 600x399
Don't 404 on me!
>>
File: 1420023754589.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1420023754589.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
>it's an Anon get's dependency conflicts episode
>>
When i type w in my terminal i get 4 users are logged in
all four are my username
how the fuck can i end the idle sessions?
>>
>>54291256
>get's
Why did I put an apostrophe there, I'm too tired for this.
>>
What's a /g/ approved alternative to webmin?
>>
>>54291273
on what ttys are the other 3 logins?

just try ctrl alt f2, where f2 are the other ttys, and logout there.
>>
I have Xubuntu on my laptop and I'm in love with it, but everytime I lock it, the cursor is invisible when I resume, any idea what's wrong?
>>
>>54291317
>pts/0
>pts/1
>pts/2

will try that thanks
>>
Im trying to install arch from beginners guide and evyrthing seems clear to me but the configuration step.
Could someone explain me fstab?
What does >> do in this -> # genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab command?
How do I do this fstab thing?
Next step with root says copy any other configuration files to the new system in /mnt. What are whose "any" files? Where are they?
How do I know which ones do I need?
>>
>>54291416
>What does >> do in this -> # genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab command?

the >> command puts something on a file. /mnt/etc/fstab is a configuration file.
genfstab is a commmand, that generates a config file (is my guess). So it just puts the output of the command into that file. You can see the output of the command executing just:

genfstab -U /mnt
>>
>>54291416
">>" adds the output of a command to the end of a (text) file. In this case it means "generate a file system table and add it to the /mnt/etc/fstab file".

You do this fstab thing exactly with the command that you posted.
You don't need to copy any more configuration files, unless you created some and know that you want them.
>>
>>54291416
>What are whose "any" files? Where are they?
How do I know which ones do I need?
If you don't know what they are, then you don't need any. Really that disclaimer seems to be for users who are doing something not covered in the beginners guide - I've never copied any other configuration files myself.
>>
Cant seem to start any process without pam/polkit killing it. Netctl started fine,and then was killed,as seen below
What would cause this?
I've reinstalled pam and polkit,restoring the default config files.
-- Subject: Unit UNIT has finished start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit UNIT has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
Apr 28 23:44:51 linux sudo[15070]: pam_unix(sudo:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=1000 euid=0 tty=/dev/pts/5 ruser=user rhost= user=user
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux sudo[15070]: user : TTY=pts/5 ; PWD=/home/user ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl start netctl
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux sudo[15070]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux polkitd[8404]: Registered Authentication Agent for unix-process:15071:4437084 (system bus name :1.82 [/usr/bin/pkttyagent --notify-fd 4 --fallback], object path /org/fre
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux systemd[1]: Started (Re)store the netctl profile state.
-- Subject: Unit netctl.service has finished start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit netctl.service has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux sudo[15070]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux polkitd[8404]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:15071:4437084 (system bus name :1.82, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, local c)
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux sudo[15077]: user : TTY=pts/5 ; PWD=/home/user ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl status netctl
Apr 28 23:44:56 linux sudo[15077]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Apr 28 23:44:58 linux sudo[15077]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
>>
>>54291368
pts?
My previous answer does not aply.
are you using ssh?
>>
Reposting from /sqt/

I installed Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit onto my laptop via a USB. During the installation, I told it to wipe my old OS (Windows 8) and it did that fine. Now, when I boot up my computer without the USB plugged in, it says there's no boot device, and when I boot with the USB in, I can only access the trial. When I go through the installer again, it says it's detected another OS, which is just the install of Mint.

Any ideas on where I fucked up?
>>
>>54291556
nope
directly logged in on debian
>>
best linux distro for battery life?
im abandoning winshit eksdee 10.
My laptop is quite shitty
>ideapad 100 15
now im looking for a distro for longer battery usage since all i use for this laptop is browse and watch youtube
>>
>>54291577
You didnt install a new boot loader for linux.
>>
i'm pretty new to linux and i have a question:
i'm copying large amount of files and while they're copying, i decided to delete a few unnecessary things. but they just add to the queue and i have to wait for the copying to finish before they get deleted. is there a way to enable the multitasking?
>>
>>54291652
arch+openbox or i3
>>
>>54291664
What file manager are you using?
It sounds like it queues it up within it.
You can deleted anything in any order.ts most likely your file manager doing this
>>
>>54291660
So I can still install one of those, despite not having Windows 10 installed on the computer anymore? Or did I just royally fuck up?
>>
It's arch installing guy again...
Now I got problem with grub installation. After this command -> # grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda . I get this error:
/usr/lib/grub/1386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.
Where did I fuck up?
>>
>>54291697
it's nemo, i think
>>
>>54291722
You're orginal post isnt that descriptive
From what i got of it.
You want to install mint and you no longer need windows.I dont use mint or its installer,but it looks like it didnt touch the mbr or efi loader

Pop the install usb in again and make sure you have a bootloader installed(grub2,syslinux)
>>
>>54291743
Do you have efi or mbr?
>>
>>54291788
Mbr
>>
File: 48709214.cached.jpg (39 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
48709214.cached.jpg
39 KB, 800x500
Wrong place, but you guys are nice, and it's semi-related to linux

I'm trying to create a Wordpress site as a complete novice. So, I downloaded a virtual machine from Bitnami that comes with a minimal installation of Ubuntu, and Wordpress pre-installed.

But I can't figure out how to a.) access the virtual files from my host computer, and b.) how to add an optical drive to the virtual machine through VirtualBox

I've tried to google the answers, but I can't find anything. Can someone direct me to any resources where I can teach myself to do both of these things?
>>
>>54291812
Did you make a seperate boot partition?
Are you installing it to /dev/sdX1.
1 being the partion number
>>
>>54291873
Yes I did. So that you want to say is that should install grub to /boot but not / ?
>>
>>54291873
Weird on guide it says sdx, not sdxz.
>>
Anyone using Antergos and managed to get DPMS working? I can't get my screen to turn off after waking it up. Light-locker settings do not persist, same with xset dpms - works only till the screen turns off, then resets.
I've tried using xscreensaver, but same results.
>>
>>54291860
Your host system is?
VBox has shared folders in options, did you set that? Optical drive can be mapped through the Devices menu.
>>
>>54292113
Post unclear:Correct syntax and repost
>>
>>54291580
okay any help for this?
>>
>>54291678
Bullshit, there is no distro for battery life, there is tlp, deblobbed kernels And lightweight wms the only thing that fits his question is i3.
>>54291652
Compile a custom kernel with only the stuff you need and install tlp. You can use a de but a lightweight wm is even better.
>>
>>54292163
What do you need me to clarify?
DPMS = Display Power Management Something.
I use Antergos. I want my screen to turn off after a set amount of time. I can set that time in light-locker (a lightweight system locker), but it resets after I wake the screen up and the screen won't turn off until I set the options again.
>>
Some files I upload to my ubuntu fileserver end up having root user instead of my username. Does that matter in the long wrong? I'm still a shit with linux permissions. Should I just chown the whole thing?
>>
>>54292344
Your monitor its self has this functionaly.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DPMS
Everything you want is here
>>
I got problem with grub installation. After this command -> # grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda . I get this error:
/usr/lib/grub/1386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.
Do I have to install grub to /dev/sda1 where my /boot partition is or do I have to install grub to /dev/sda2 where / partition is even thought arch guide tells to install to sda drive. Ooor maybe I need to do smth else to solve this problem? Im on Mbr BTW.
>>
File: Capture.png (4 KB, 782x78) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4 KB, 782x78
>>54292145
Figured this out, thanks.

Now I'm trying to enable SSH on this virtual machine

Can you explain what this error means?

Thanks for the help.start
>>
>>54292497
Apparently SSH is disabled by default on these bitnami boxes, to enable them you rename ssh.conf.back to ssh.conf, which I've done, but I still can't execute the start ssh command
>>
>>54292468
Found problem written 1 instead of i...
>>
>>54292608
I was just thinking about a possible solution for you when I saw your post. I'm glad you found the error.
So it was
1386 instead of i386?
>>
>>54292645
Now then after # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Got Warning: failed to connect to lvmetad
Is this critical?
>>
>>54292460
My monitor does indeed have this capability.
xset dpms works, force off turns off the screen, etc.
I have xorg.conf set up, it's just that before it turns off, xset q reports the times okay. After it's waken up, the times are reported to be 0 (=disabled) and I can't for the life of me figure out why it changes and how to get the settings to stick.
>>
What is the localhost login if I didn't set the hostname?
>>
Hello /g/
I recently tried out KWin over Xfce and its working great
But my mouse cursor changes to a default cursor (KDE Classic) in some places (Right clicking on desktop for example)
My cursor theme is breeze snow and Im running manjaro 15.12
>>
I have not touched /etc/sudoers since 2010 then i installed the os.wtf is this
sudo: sorry, you are not allowed to preserve the environment
>>
I'm currently emerging some stuff for my gentoo box, with the command having been issued via ssh.
What happens if the ssh connection breaks? Does the emerge process continue in the background? Does it fail gracefully? Does it risk fucking up my installation?
>>
>>54292664
I don't think so. Open your /boot/grub/grub.cfg and check if there are any lines that start with
menuentry 'Arch

if they are there, Grub has created a boot menu entry for Arch.
You didn't set up LVM, did you?
>>
>>54292843
Booted up successfuly, now can't go past archuser login screen, probably because I forgot to set hostname but, boot up arch from flash again, then mounted /, then went into chroot and edited /etc/hostname file with single line archuser, and still can't go past login screen :(
>>
>>54292906
what exactly prevents you from typing in "root" and the admin password?
>>
>>54292835
No eco-hippies allowed on GNU/Linux
>>
>>54293129
When I boot I am instantly greeted by login line, can't type any commands, just localhost username and then password
>>
>>54292294

>a "lightweight" window manager will improve your battery life

Stop spreading lies and creating myths.
>>
>>54292742

Works on my Arch(tm) machine(tm)(c).
>>
>>54293162
did you set a root password in the chroot? I still don't quite get why you can't just type in your username (or the root username "root"), press enter, then type in the respective password
>>
>>54293162
Fixed. I'd like to thank everyone for noticing me and trying to help me and I'm sry im wasting your time with my newbie questions.
>>
>>54293231
Ooh so the user is root :D
>>
A few questions because i'm a dumbfuck and think like a windows-slave:
I'm running a debian with kde

CTRL+ALT+F1 to CTRL+ALT+F6 take me to the pseudo terminal slaves right? When i log in with them i get shell and type in startx to get a DE but it starts cinnamon
and with CTRL+ALT+F7 I get my normal KDE desktop

why the fuck are the shortcuts i placed in my desktop folder on cinnamon but not on kde?
how do i kill all PTSs? this way i get (when typing who) only "1 user" not "4 users"

why the fuck does kde start up dolphin and iceweasel suddenly whenever i reboot or totally shutdown the notebook?
>>
File: 1436420605592.png (278 KB, 706x412) Image search: [Google]
1436420605592.png
278 KB, 706x412
While browsing through the archives, I found a really neat bash script written awhile back by some anon(s) that runs your images through IQDB and applies tags to them. Problem is, I'm dumb and I'm having trouble getting it to work. I'm very new when it comes to ganoo slash lanucks, and particularly so with regards to bash scripting (which I can only just barely understand), so I can't really figure out why it isn't working myself.

Here is what the terminal says when I try to run it:
: not found.sh: 16: iqdb_tagger.sh:
: not found.sh: 17: iqdb_tagger.sh:
iqdb_tagger.sh: 18: iqdb_tagger.sh: function: not found
: not found.sh: 26: iqdb_tagger.sh:
iqdb_tagger.sh: 106: iqdb_tagger.sh: Syntax error: "done" unexpected (expecting "then")

and here's the script:
http://pastebin.com/WRj02sQg

What am I doing wrong here? I'm sure it's something quite obvious.
>>
>>54293355

>why the fuck does kde start up dolphin and iceweasel suddenly whenever i reboot or totally shutdown the notebook?

Because you probably saved that session.
>>
>>54293424
>ganoo slash lanucks,
>>>/trash/
Reapply for assistance
>>
>>54292294
>Custom kernel, wm = improved battery life
Fucking summer fag
>>
File: 1456959232247.jpg (317 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1456959232247.jpg
317 KB, 1000x667
>>54291111
Jesus christ. Nice quads!

Any ImageMagick wizards here?
I have a bunch of SVGs I want to batch-convert into png via ImageMagick. My problem is: The result doesn't have transparency.

I asked the botnet and tried -background none and -background transparent, but still not png inclusive transparency.

S O S

>>54291362
What's your screen locker?

>>54291652
>best linux distro for battery life?
Any distro with dwm as window manager. dwm is below 1mb, amazeballs hackable and eats literally no power. But in reality, you could even run a bloated distro with KDE - the main power eaters are HTML5, Flash, Brightness and useless CPU cycles. Keep an eye of these, not on distros.
>>
File: 1428223755723.jpg (62 KB, 393x293) Image search: [Google]
1428223755723.jpg
62 KB, 393x293
>>54293780
>>
File: arch user.jpg (57 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
arch user.jpg
57 KB, 1024x576
Anyone use Veracrypt on Arch Linux here?

Should I install Veracrypt or "Veracrypt-git" from AUR? What the heck is the difference?

One of them has less dependencies but also no comments as opposed to the other
>>
>>54291860
Who is this semen demon? I forgot her name (not an amerifag).
>>
>>54293851
>arch user.jpg
This is obviously a fedora user, also known as RHEL playground cuck.
>>
>>54293851
Use luks.
>>
File: 1455207688178.png (52 KB, 1680x1496) Image search: [Google]
1455207688178.png
52 KB, 1680x1496
>>54294039
>>
>>54293975
nah famfam. Veracrypt is pretty dope
>>
Any reason to install Wayland over Xorg?
I don't know what to choose.
>>
>>54294137

Chances are you'll still need X and run it inside your Wayland session with xwayland. Currently only GNOME and that one tiling window manager (Sway) have somewhat decent Wayland support. Not even KDE is usable.
>>
>>54294091
If you enjoy source that hasent been audited since truecrypt magically disappered,then go ahead and enjoy your nsa key backdoor.

Luks is superior in every aspect.
Vera is an uneeded program.
>>
>>54294137
use xorg,no reason not to.
You also need KMS for wayland,so if you're using nvidia,you cant.(nouveau is shit for anyhthing)
>>
>>54294160
>>54294197
In that case I'll stick with Xorg. Thanks.
>>
>>54294182
>If you enjoy source that hasent been audited since truecrypt magically disappered

But they have fixed multiple CVE's

Prove Luks is better. Sell Luks to me as a potential customer of Veracrypt. And I will use it instead
>>
what is a good image duplicate checker?
>>
>>54294197

I use nouveau (not for Wayland though) and it works fine. But then again, I don't play videogames.
>>
>>54294215
fdupes and findimagedupes
The first does md5 checks, the second checks for visually duplicates, thank me later. If you want a GUI app, consider suicide.
>>
>>54294254
nah i can use the terminal just fine m8.

thanks, i'll give those a try.
>>
>>54294271
Check the manpages, both have pretty comfy exec options to run image viewers for comparing the results.
>>
>>54294213
>fixed it
Right,so the 3 years its been out,it hasent been audited.
Here the devs are begging for cash to get it audited
>https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/576521

>luks
There is literally to much shit to begin pointing out one aspect.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LUKS
>>
>>54294254
>If you want a GUI app, consider suicide.
petition to add this piece of advice to the sticky
>>
>>54294328
But why do fedoras use veracrypt?

Luks seems too baby like
>>
>>54294271
>>54294254
/r/ing selfmade md5 file compare checker
(minimalism motherfucker!)
Anyone can do this (please)?
>>
>>54294248
Not even video games.
Most nvidia cards default to the lowest performance levels.
Nor do the power features work.
Nvidia is deliberatly gimping the card in linux to prevent reverse-egen the novuea team does
>>
>>54294350
practice your bash scripting
>>
>>54294349
They chose to use it as it has a front end,and it allows casuals to be leet haxx0r and have encryption.spooky cli commands will destroy the casual on ubuntu etc
>>
>>54294377
I know how to make a single md5 check, bot how for all files and how to compare them all?
Any small hints welcome.
>>
>>54294362

>power features

Do you mean power management or power features as in advanced features, like hardware video decoding?
>>
>>54291362
That's a bug on 16.04.
When you log in, ctrl+alt+F1 followed by ctrl+alt+F7 to fix it.
>>
>>54294388
Idk m8. I searched it and read a couple Ubuntucucks and stackoverflow threads and Veracrypt seems superior.

Luks is literally who-tier
>>
File: 1436691290070.jpg (238 KB, 1024x1344) Image search: [Google]
1436691290070.jpg
238 KB, 1024x1344
>>54294409
>>
>>54294419
>doesn't use LUKS to encrypt his partition

holy shit, there are people like this? even an option in the ubungu install. no reason why not to
>>
>>54294450
can't be bothered tbqh.

I rather just encrypt a partition with personal shit instead of encrypting EVERYTHING
>>
>>54294480
cannot fathom this, there are literally no downsides to switching it on.
>>
>>54294404
-c, --check read MD5 sums from the FILEs and check them
>>
>>54294503
i don't want to remember 6 trillion passwords man
>>
What's best virtualization solution for windows 10 - to virtualzie Linux

VMware Workstation Pro, VirtualBox ?
>>
guys, i need to move maaany files to external HDD. why does a simple copy/paste produces currupted files? (running diff gives me a spam of input/output errors) is it because of some power saving mechanism? and how to properly copy everything?
>>
>>54294879
rsync
>>
>>54294879
yes, the HDD is fine and problem doesn't occur when moving files in small chunks
>>
>>54294842
qemu
>>
>>54294963
I asked on windows 10 but of course you had to troll... and on Linux I prefer Xen and Kvm to virtualize windows 10
>>
>>54294936
is it error proof/checks copied files?
>>
I'm trying to get my webcam to play nice with OpenCV. I'm following a tutorial where a guy is using it to detect motion and send back each frame that catches the motion in an email. The problem is that OpenCv doesn't want to open up the camera. It displays an orange light to detect it's on when I run the camera = Camera() command but it wont display anything like it should. I know it's something to do with the drivers but I've no idea how to update them as it's an external webcam.

The code in the tutorial I'm following is geared towards a pi camera when it gets to the driver part.

Tutorial I'm following:
http://www.tinkernut.com/portfolio/homemade-motion-detecting-security-camera-part-2-simplecv/#step2
>>
>>54293170
If it actually uses less cpu load than a de, it indeed does reduce battery usage.
>>
>>54295217

I mean't SimpleCV*

>stupid autocorrect on my phone.
>>
Using systemd-analyze plot.The results show nothing happening for 15s then everything starting at 15s.What would cause it to hang for 15s?
>>
>>54295263
Does the camera work at all?
Like try to run cheese or something and get an image that way so you know when the camera is working.
>>
>>54295227
But this is exactly why a lightweight WM won't make a difference.
1. The window manager doesn't use that much CPU anyway and the window managing actions on heavy WM's usually use the graphics card where the minimal stuff only uses the CPU.
So if anything, the minimal window managers might be worse.
You could disable animations and see if it makes a difference.

If you run something like powertop you will see that the network card and the screen uses the most energy on most systems. Turning power saving features on those things is a lot more beneficial.
>>
File: shh homer is thinking.png (553 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
shh homer is thinking.png
553 KB, 720x540
I installed xubuntu, but now want to try debian.
How do I boot from cd? I'm familiar with going from windows to linux, but not linux to linux.
>>
File: a screenshot for ants.jpg (11 KB, 162x155) Image search: [Google]
a screenshot for ants.jpg
11 KB, 162x155
>>54296776
For some reason it wasn't reading the disc, so I thought something special needed to be done, but now it's fine.
>>
Does clonezilla work with windows 8.1?
From a google search, it seems people have tried it but on clonezilla's requirements page it says:
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, or GNU/Linux.
>>
Anyone got a straight forward guide to installing AMD drivers on Kubuntu? Pretty much everything i've looked at isn't helpful in the least.
>>
>>54296776
>>54297110
Same fag here.
When I'm installing Debian it says:
>[!] Detect network hardware
>Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a USB stick or floppy.
>The missing firmware files are: rt1_nic/rt18168e-3.fw
>If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue.

I don't know what this means. I have this network adapter plugged into the usb, if that means anything: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Wireless-Adapter-Archer-T2UH/dp/B00UZRVY12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
>>
>>54297462
Google Debian non-free iso
>>
>>54297462
Your network adapter in your usb slot will not work with Debian unless you install the driver that the installer is suggesting. That's what it means.
If you can instead connect your pc with a network cable to your router it will work without installing additional drivers (most likely). After Debian is installed you can add the nonfree repositories and download that driver. Make a note so you don't forget what it's called.
>>
Stallman is a pro-abortionist communist fucker. I hope he dies.
>>
how do I install lo/g/os? i have an iso booted up but i don't now how to install it
>>
>>54297780
>Born: March 16, 1953 (age 63)
statistically speaking he should be dead in 10-20 years :(
but then again I hope you die too, nobody should be cursed with immortality.
>>
>>54297806
anyone?
>>
>>54297462

Get the non free ISO or put the non free deb files you need on a USB stick and apply them during install.

I've done both and while the nonfree ISO is definitely more convenient, the USB way is definitely preferable as the nonfree ISO does not make for a very clean minimal install.
>>
>>54297911

Gosh wouldn't it be easier to just install Arch using the wiki? That took me 20mins on the first try.

But srs I never tried installing lo/g/OS I didn't even know it existed until I looked it up.
>>
>>54298028
but I want a baseline rice...
>>
Beginner here, I've installed Debian and I'm trying to get my wireless internet working. I've looked at the Debian wiki and followed the steps, but the new applet that is said to appear isn't.
>>
Is Arch + Plasma a good was to switch over from Win10?

I have a bit of experience with Arch and Linux in general, but it's been a while since I have tried to replace windows with a Linux DE completely.

I want to give it another try on my work notebook since most of my dev work could potentially be easier to do after the switch.

Does KDE(/whatever audio backend it uses) handle multiple speaker well? I have a bluetooth speaker that I often (but not always) use and changing default speakers, as well as their volumes has proven to be a major hassle on Windows (and 10 did not help)
>>
>>54298073
what wiki page?
what applet?
what DE?
any error messages?
>>
>>54298049

U created the ISO and run it from a USB stick or in a VM? Where are you at? I'll see if I can help.
>>
>>54298136
I literally made a bootable usb stick and booted from it, and selected boot logos linux (x86_64)
>>
>>54297492
>>54297540
>>54297982

I was able to put the files on usb, but now it's telling me:
>Network autoconfiguration failed
>Your network is not using the DHCP protocol. Alternatively, the DHCP may be slow or some network hardware is working properly.

Which makes me think the usb firmware isn't working? I tried doing "Configure network manually", but I'm not sure what to put for netmask.
>>
File: 145156165.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
145156165.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>54298073

>open terminal
sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi
sudo iwconfig
> review the output for sanity check
sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces
> go to bottom, modify and insert the following based on your network card and wireless

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid YOUR-SSID-HERE
wpa-psk YOUR-PASSWORD-HERE
>:wq
sudo ifup wlan0 (or whatever your network card actually is)
sudo ifconfig
ping yourbutthole.com

> enjoy wireless goodness
>>
>>54298192

Have you tried setting a static IP?

ip addr add 192.168.0.???/subnet_mask broadcast broadcast_address dev interface_name

For me it would look like

ip addr add 192.168.3.202/24 broadcast 192.168.3.255 dev wlan0
>>
>>54298119

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#GNOME

I enter nm-applet into the terminal and receive:
Failed to initialize D-Bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
>>
File: Screenshot_36.jpg (136 KB, 1499x726) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_36.jpg
136 KB, 1499x726
>>54298255
OH, I'm stupid.
I was putting the IP address of my Windows desktop on the computer that I'm installing Debian on now. Sorry, I thought IP addresses were unique to networks/houses and not each device.
So for this screen, I should try putting a static IP?
>>
>>54291530
Anyone one?
>>
>>54289841

I have an AMD gpu

installed Xenial and realized theres no fglrx..

Should I just use 14.04?
>>
>>54298344

If you have a static IP setup you should know or whoever admins the network for the addresses available. You sure you don't have a dynamic IP setup?
>>
>>54298421
AMDGPU is the new graphics subsystem. AMD will release a driver soon™, probably with Polaris.
>>
>>54298426
Sorry, I don't know. My house just has wifi that everyone uses. As far as I know there's nothing unique about it.
>>
What's a good schedule reminder thing for linux?
>>
>>54298426
Just install the ati proprietary driver.
lspci -nn | grep VGA
> review output
sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
> add contrib and nonfree to all
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') fglrx-driver

> now u gotta update your xorg. Idk maybe /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-fglrx.conf and add

Section "Device"

Identifier "GPU_GOES_HERE"

Driver "fglrx"

EndSection

You probably gotta restart but then u have AMD fglrx drivers.
>>
File: rangersmith.png (246 KB, 480x301) Image search: [Google]
rangersmith.png
246 KB, 480x301
newb here, never used linux. as far as writing in private journals, is my info safe with ubuntu? Because sometimes I feel weird writing about my private life on my computer. And that's fucked up
>>
>>54298458

Then you likely have dhcp. Back up the installation and use dhcp. Wired if possible during the install. Wireless should work too tho.
>>
>>54298536
BFS is you want responsivness over slight performance loss.
Otherwise for platters stick of cqf,use deadline for ssd
>>
>>54298596
I am certain the question is not about kernel schedulers.
>>
>>54298596
>>54298624
No, but incidentally, what are these, and do I need one?
>>
>>54298544
Generally speaking, yes. If you're not using Windows 10 your private data can be safe with Windows as well, but obviously the risk of data-stealing malware is smaller on Linux.
For additional privacy you could also restrict file permissions easily or even encrypt the journal files.
>>
File: anon doesnt know how to linux.png (975 KB, 1494x1488) Image search: [Google]
anon doesnt know how to linux.png
975 KB, 1494x1488
>>54298557
So, this is where I'm at then.
Sorry for making this is really painful.
>>
>>54298536
>>54298624
Oh um...

You can use the libnotify framework,i works for most de's or you can run it independently
Look up statnot.
>>
File: 1455082918525.png (1 MB, 942x986) Image search: [Google]
1455082918525.png
1 MB, 942x986
Torrent client?
>>
>>54298666

You're doing this in a VM? Is the network adapter device for the VM configured properly?
>>
>>54292254
>>54291273
I remember on debian every time I opened a new virtual terminal it created another 'login', or something. Try closing all but one of your terminals and see what it says then.

If you're using urxvt, use the daemon and only start clients.
>>
>>54298688
deluge/qbittorent for more features
transmission for just werx
>>
>>54298089
don't come here to blame linux being shit and difficult and not user friendly if you go with arch linux. You've been warned.

>Is Arch + Plasma a good was to switch over from Win10?
Anything is a good switch, it just depends on your tastes, knowledge and machine.

>Does KDE(/whatever audio backend it uses) handle multiple speaker well?
probably. Gnome based DE (gnome, unity, cinnamon..) provide a good support for that, so it should be the same.

>>54298073
I don't like recommending debian to beginners because of that.
Debian, by default, doesn't provide non free software, and some wifi card doesn't have free drivers, so they aren't installed by default.
Can't help you much about your issue since you didn't said a lot of things

check
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi
>>
>>54298700
This is installation from a disc.
>>
>>54298758
>don't come here to blame linux being shit and difficult and not user friendly if you go with arch linux. You've been warned.

I won't. Complaining about problems that I can solve is not something I do. I have installed and used Arch for headless hobby stuff a couple of times and I tried to switch to a DebianLXDE and a Bodhi environment in the past.

I should be able to get around whatever Linux environment I choose. I just want to minimize the "choosing" part, because I need to get working again ASAP
>>
I have finished my first install but stuck on how to customize my desktop. I installed openbox and its all kind of ugly. Are there comprehensive guides with instructions i can follow? I am trying to use debian right now thank you
>>
>>54298867
for what it's worth, KDE Plasma with the Breeze theme looks very similar and in my opinion better than Win 10. I like it a lot
>>
>>54298884
get adventurous anon and install maui os
>>
>>54298654
ah alright.

I use libre office regardless when journalism, which must be safer than microsoft office
>>
>>54289841

Best Window Managers?

Best Dock?

Best tiling wm(except i3)?
>>
>>54299298
KDE
Plasma applet
KWin
>>
>>54298884
Go to the desktop thread
>>
>>54299298
Fluxbox
Not needed
Awesome
>>
>>54299404
>Not Needed
And why is that?
>>
>>54299298
dwm
docky
dwm
>>
>>54299430
docks are so 2011
>>
>>54299430
most tiling window mananger have something like a built-in launcher, so you press some key combination enter the first few letters -- fuzzy matching does the rest. You dont need a dock.
>>
>>54299430
You dont need it in fluxbox
>>
>>54299445
what I know about linux is
-headless
-full DE

I don't know the specifics about in between that. We are talking about "docks", like the windows taskbar right? I actually like how unified the start menu is.
>>
>>54299437
>>54299404
>>54299353

Will try, thank you.

Is KDE customizable asides from stock install shit?
>>
>>54299520
kde-look.org

google around for kde desktops.
>>
>>54289962
Debian or Gentoo.
>>
Everytime I try to edit tags in ncmpcpp I get an error
>error while writing tags in...

I suppose it's a permission issue. Any idea how do I fix this?
>>
>>54299776
Check the permissions of your music files.
>>
Is there a more direct way to look at device information on, than using wireshark? I'm assuming it's somewhere in /dev or /proc but I don't know what to look for. I want some information about this controller I found, so I can know what it is exactly and maybe find drivers for it.
>>
>>54299809
controller that connects via USB*
>>
>>54298688
rtorrent is pretty good if you're not afraid of CLI. There's graphical interfaces that can connect to it.
>>
>>54298536
I dunno, but org-mode is the only free software I've found that can handle daily tasks how I need.
>>
File: Untitled.png (23 KB, 513x581) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
23 KB, 513x581
>>54299803

Nothing.
>>
>>54299965
And how are you starting mpd and ncmpcpp?
>>
>>54299776
you need mpd_music_dir properly set in your ncmpcpp config
>>
>>54299825

lsusb

sudo apt-get install jstest jstest-gtk

jstest-gtk
>>
>>54299988

Had to kill mpd and reopen. It works now, thanks.
>>
What is the best wireless card for Linux? I'm looking for a PCI one under $50 the $20 usb one I have doesn't work at all with Linux and cuts out once every 10 minutes on windows.
>>
File: Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg (52 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg
52 KB, 500x329
Which text editor should I use?
>>
File: 2016-04-30-141309_800x600_scrot.png (271 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-30-141309_800x600_scrot.png
271 KB, 800x600
>>54293424
It worked first try on my machine. I just copy pasted it. What version of bash are you using? I should say it "works", the tags are mostly wrong. Change "-le" to "-lt" on line 110 makes it work better. I also recommend removing some of the info it writes to the image. "-Keywords" is all I need.

It requires imagemagick, curl, cat, perl-image-exiftool, might be called something different elsewhere.

Holy shit that's more work than it's worth. Might work on it more later.

Pic is how the tags are when it works how it should. On some images it's worse.
>>
>>54299858
Rtorrent is old outdated shit.
Multiple other clients have a headless/cli option
>>
>>54300335
Notepadqq for scripts
Gedit for everything else
>>
>>54300335
neovim
>>
>>54289841
How do I play a steam game on wine?
>>
>>54300441
Run steam in wine, download game, play game.
>>
>>54300465
I have the linux version installed. Is there a way to play the Windows version of a game with wine?
Because I don't want to install the windows version of steam to just play one game.
>>
Help me to improve my shitposting experience, /g/.
How do I see thumbnails when selecting a pic to post?
>>
>>54300543
write a patch, submit it
>>
>>54300543
You can just open your file manager and then drag and drop the image into the reply window.
>>
>>54300506
You can't really.
When steam first came to Linux I read that someone was able to do this though. They said it was because steam used sockets to communicate with the application and the steam client, so if you launched it the game through wine there was still a way to get it to communicate with the Linux steam client.

But I think maybe it was just for some special case and maybe doesn't work for everything, and I've never heard of anyone being able to do that since so maybe it doesn't work at all anymore or something.
>>
How do I remove this bios beep sound?
>>
>>54300632
hdparm
>>
>>54300632
hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
Or whatever sd* you have
>>
Okay here goes nothing
Anyone knows a program that acts as a middleground between the terminal/emulator and the program running so you can run arbitrary programs in between?
Like, in *sh you can do stuff like
$ ln -s $(which python3) /some/path/python

note the $( ... ) where the output of `which python3` goes in place of the idem.
Is there a way to do this for any program, so that if you, for example, are running an interactive program like, say cat
$ cat
input
input
$(echo cummies)
cummies

where the $( ... ) gets processed by this middleground program before it goes to the cat process?
Thank you very much
>>
>>54300917
of course it'd actually be like
$ someprog cat
am I in cat?
am I in cat?
$(echo yay!)
yay!

kinda like you do with rlwrap
or maybe there's already a way to do that with tmux? if so it'd all be easier
>>
Just a minute ago this spammed my log
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0:: rx error, status 0x5f20010 length 1518

Any program that downloads is being prevented from working(ftp,wget,scp)
due to this error im assuming
wat do
>>
>>54300339
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. The version of bash I'm running is 4.3.11(1), and I'm on Mint 17.3. What are you on?

Also, a bit of a shame to hear that the tagging is wonky. I had intended to use it to mass tag big folders of unorganized images.

I suppose that on a semi-related note (not really fitting for the thread, but whatever), does anyone know of a good automatic tagging client (ideally aimed towards animu images)? I've tried Hydrus Network in the past, but unfortunately, even after syncing to the public tag repository and using the tag archives, it only tagged a small portion of my images. The dev seems like he's going to add a lot of extra functionality in the future (for instance, a module that grabs tags from IQDB), but I'm too impatient.
>>
>>54300371
>headless
did you
do that
on purpose?
>>
File: Screenshot_96.jpg (136 KB, 1506x431) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_96.jpg
136 KB, 1506x431
>>54297462
>>54298192
>>54298344
>>54298666
>>54298788
Same fag again.
So I installed Debian without any internet connection, and now I want it to recognize my usb wifi adapter. I was trying to follow this guys tutorial:
http://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/08/25/identify-pci-usb-wired-wireless-driver-linux-identify-usb-driver/
But I keep getting no command found when I do modinfo on any of the listed drivers.
>>
>>54290117
It sounds like there was a software fuck up in the actual system mainframe that glitched everything up with hardware connections. Because of this, all you have to do is reinstall windows so you can reconfigure the hardware connections. I had this problem once and this was the only way i could fix it.
You can reinstall by going to settings/update and security/recovery and then you just click reset this pc. Hope that helps
>>
File: ɯǝpınɯ.jpg (10 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
ɯǝpınɯ.jpg
10 KB, 64x64
>>54301220
>Screenshot_96.jpg
>Picture of screen with camera.
>>
>>54301220
this is why debian is garbage
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-04-29_21-05-57.png (159 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-04-29_21-05-57.png
159 KB, 1366x768
If i'm going for a Mac OS aesthetic, how do i remove the bezel around the MATE titlebar?
>>
File: dan.jpg (42 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
dan.jpg
42 KB, 270x270
>I should have been running makepkg -sri instead of just makepkg this whole time
How could I have been so naive?
>>
>>54302070
tfw remembering when I used to do
ps aux | grep 'process && kill PID' 
instead of
 kill $(pgrep 'process') 
>>
>>54302138
oops, should be
 ps aux | grep 'process' && kill PID 
>>
>>54302138
I just used htop.
>>
Where does Nemo store its directory view settings? How does it remember which view (icon, compat, etc) to use for a directory?
>>
>>54302138

Or just use
pkill "process"
>>
>>54302211
I feel more bad ass invoking a sub-shell, desu.
>>
why can a url be loaded inside a flash player (such as jwplayer, flowplayer ) but when a try a get request (from the browser or curl ) the nginx server returns me 404? the video is being loaded in a pseudostreaming way and I would like to be able to download from the server the same way the flash player is capable to load.

Also, it's a http link, not rtmp, downloaded wireshark but could find anything, any helps? thx
>>
is opensuse beginner-friendly?
Does it work well with macbooks?
>>
>>54302331

Maybe something to do with the useragent in the request header?
>>
>>54302343
yeah most distros are beginner friendly.

opensuse is a great one with a company behind it, maybe try Leap instead of jumping into Tumbleweed.

and sure, should works well with macbooks, you can always search online if you run into trouble.
>>
>tfw you want to use neon but kubuntu is a steaming pile of shit that took just 24 hours to get permafucked the last time you tried it
>>
>>54302533
literally how?

did you fuck up trying to install something?
>>
Which wm or dm is easiest to rice?
>>
I have no idea. when I installed it on my macbook it mostly worked, thought some of the keys didn't work and the trackpad didn't right click. I was trying to download packaged to fix the trackpad and when I rebooted I somehow I managed to fuck up the interface irrevocably.

Themes stopped working, icons in the menus didn't render, the spacing of everything was wrong, it was a nightmare.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I broke it by changing the theme and then changing it back without logging out in between
>>
>>54301246
I was thinking the same, i just don't want to put an effort and wait for the installing but looks like there is nothing to do. Thanks for your help and answer.
>>
Former linux user here trying to migrate back, but having a few issues. I'm on my test bed machine so I've got Kubuntu running. Working on getting i3 set up, but it keeps crashing. My other question is how do I manually create and set partitions for a distro, I always fuck that up somehow. like the difference between /home/ /etc/ and shit.

Thanks guys.
>>
File: 1461736065577.jpg (222 KB, 850x1275) Image search: [Google]
1461736065577.jpg
222 KB, 850x1275
What flavor of 16.04 should I install?
Want to move out of mint 17
>>
>>54302858
That is some god awful photoshop
>>
>>54302858
Mate if you're on a weak computer, kubuntu or kde neon if you're on a strong one and don't mind bugs, gnome if you do mind bugs, xubuntu if you hate yourself

damn, bubblegum pink hair is actually really hot when its long
>>
Anyone tried ubuntu 16.04 with MIR with a high dpi display, and a normal one?
Is it possible for windows to auto resize as they are dragged across?
If so, it'll be worth it for me to upgrade early.
I'm gonna mess with a liveCD in a day or two anyway, but I'm curious now.
>>
>>54302858
Post that bubblegum princess' penis post haste
>>
>>54303014
Bet you can't say that 5 times fast.
>>
Which VM software should I use?
>>
>>54303043
virtualbox is easy
anything beyond that do your own research
>>
>>54292814
Anyone?
>>
>>54302200

nvm fixed it ;)

gvfs-metadata
>>
>>54303139
>>54292814

There's an article on the Arch Wiki.
>>
>>54303162
That didnt solve it
I always check arch wiki first
>>
>>54303174

What did you try?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.