[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: exNzmqn.png (106 KB, 725x325) Image search: [Google]
exNzmqn.png
106 KB, 725x325
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
>>51549945
What if I use Atom?
>>
>>51549945
next time, please link to the previous thread...
>>
File: arch_linux_logo.png (92 KB, 400x368) Image search: [Google]
arch_linux_logo.png
92 KB, 400x368
>>51549945 (OP)
I hate to ask for help here but Im done.
reinstalled arch today, cinnamon is in "software rendering mode"
arch 64 bit
nvidia-304xx
cinnanom
>>
Help me my shit is all fucked up
>Install openSUSE dualboot
>it's buggy as hell, want to boot windows again
>grub menu doesn't appear, it just says 'welcome to grub" for a second then boots openSUSE
>use windows recovery USB to delete openSUSE partitions
>reboot
>after BIOS it dumps me on the 'grub rescue>' prompt because the openSUSE partitions are gone
what do?
>>
>>51550099
We never have the tradition to the previous thread.
>>
>>51550193
Have you installed nvidia-304xx-libgl?
>>
>>51549945
>3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (not recommended)
I did this for my transition, although I still had my old desktop running XP as a fallback. It worked out great in the end.
>>
>>51550555
it was there, Ive been blindly uninstalling and reainstalling shit and reconfiguing x with xconfigure and nvidia configure
>>
Whenever I try and play something with Guayadeque I get:
Error: The configured audio output sink is not valid. Autoconfiguring...
Aborted

what do

nothing here http://guayadeque.org/index.php?p=/discussion/251/g-deque-quits-once-i-double-click-a-song/p1 helped
>>
>>51550602
Try to install it again.
>>
>>51550525
fixed, for archival purposes the solution is: bootrec /fixmbr
>>
>>51549966
>>51550099
>>51550555
>>51550606
checked
>>
>>51550606
Wasn't Guayadeque deprecated?
>>
>>51550697
Was it? I got it because it was one of the players recommended on the wiki
>>
Should I try to get an integrated over a dedicated graphics card if I plan on installing linux?
>>
why is
2>&1 >/dev/null &
so satisfying to type? :3
>>
>>51550712
Fixed.
>>
I really don't understand why anyone would use any software using the gpl. IMO, the bed lic née is superior in every imaginable way.

Thus, there is no reason to use gnu/linux since any one of the bsds exist. You have freedom using the bad license. Using gnu, your freedom is looking miter to their strict interpretation.

In short; to the GPL is fascism.

Barring that, I would say you are literally a fucking idiot for not using anything other than Gentoo or Arch since there are additional limitations on the using depending on the content of their repositories.

So, why are t you guys using real UNIX? Why aren't you guys using bed?
>>
>>51550762
probably because you are some faggot that thinks you are super cool and edgy for using the loonux
>>
>>51550852
GPL is communism, anon.
>>
>>51550852
>no reason
How about better hardware support, newer software and a license that doesn't invite the likes of sony to steal code without contributing anything back?
>>
Anyone here hardcore enough not to use any kind of GUI?
>>
>>51550852
Enjoy your kernel with no driver support integrated, shit repos and an OS literally based solely on a liscence.
>>
Shell quiz time! What does this do?

$ echo hi 1>&2 2>tmp

Running it is cheating, of course.
>>
>>51551776
writes "hi\n" to stdout, redirects stdout to stderr, then dumps stderr into a file named "tmp"
>>
>>51551821
So are you saying that "hi\n" gets written to "tmp"?
>>
>>51551960
seems that way, i've refrained from running it to double check

note that by by \n i'm referring to a newline character (LF), which echo writes by default unless "-n" is specified
>>
>>51552010
Well, you're wrong, but don't feel bad because it's a common mistake.

It's called input/output redirection, but that's a misleading name. What's really happening is file handler assignment.

0 is the program's stdin, 1 is the program's stdout, and 2 is the program's stderr.

At first, 0 is set to the shell's stdin, 1 is set to the shell's stdout (print to terminal) and 2 is set to the shell's stderr (basically the same as stdout, just separate).

So we start off with 0=stdin, 1=stdout, 2=stderr

1>&2 means to set 1 to the same thing as 2, so now 0=stdin, 1=stderr, 2=stderr

2>tmp means to open a file tmp and set 2 to that, so now 0=stdin, 1=stderr, 2=tmp

Now the shell starts echo, which writes "hi\n" to its own stdout, which is 2, which is the shell's stderr, which is basically just printing to the terminal.
>>
>>51552178
why I run Windows
>>
>>51552178
Edit: last line, the program's stdout is 1, not 2.
>>
>>51552178
neat, i was hoping i'd learn something new
>>
>>51552185
Windows is less powerful. It prevents you from shooting yourself in the foot, but it also prevents you from shooting anything that it thinks is a foot. Not exactly a good thing if someone is rushing you with a knife but your gun decides that his face looks like a foot. (Also Windows is shit for a lot of other reasons, but let's ignore that for now.)

Linux won't stop you from shooting yourself in the foot, but you can trust that it will shoot whenever you pull the trigger, no questions asked.
>>
File: 1424106848522.jpg (213 KB, 1000x779) Image search: [Google]
1424106848522.jpg
213 KB, 1000x779
Can someone help me please?
I'm on T420 and running manjaro and when I booted no sound comes out, you can "see" sound in the mixer just nothing comes out from the speakers or headphones.
I checked my audio mixer and the sound card have changed into "Thinkpad console audio control".
But I'm certain it was something along the lines of "Intel PCI HDA" or something like it.
I didn't update anything nor have I installed anything else the only two things I have done are
1. Changed the volume in 4chanx for /gif/
2.Moved my laptop to another location.

This isn't the first time either, It happened before, and I solved by doing a fresh install.
How do I fix this?
>>
>>51552270
Try aplay -l -L and post output. Also are you using pulseaudio?
>>
File: 1412978129613.jpg (242 KB, 780x2323) Image search: [Google]
1412978129613.jpg
242 KB, 780x2323
>>51552303
http://hastebin.com/umexegolub.pas
I turned it off, shook it a little and now it came back.
My sound card is being detected as "HDA Intel PCH (Alsa mixer)"
>>
What do you guys use to check ssd health?
>>
I feel dumb for asking this, I've looked a bit about that but didn't find anything that did help (I found a link to askubuntu but that didn't really help).
How do I change the kernel version? I've compiled 4.4.0-rc2, installed it, updated GRUB (grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg).
When rebooting, the GRUB menu was still just like it usually is. uname -r also tells me that I'm not on 4.4.0-rc2 but on 4.0.5.
>>
>>51550852
>fucking idiot for not using anything other than Gentoo or Arch
i fucking lost it.

Some people use their machines for more than watching chinese cartoons
>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/onboard", line 12, in <module>
from Onboard.Exceptions import chain_handler
ImportError: No module named 'Onboard'

I get this when I try running onboard.
What I'm doing wrong? and is there a better alternative?
>>
recommend me some good linux distro you fucks
>kde
>a lot of packages
>stable but more recent than ubuntu
>no apt
>>
>>51553319
>KDE
>a linux distro

What the fuck?
>>
>>51553358
kde installed by default, are you really this stupid?
>>
>>51553376
>KDE installed by default
Be specific you dumbfuck, what distro are you talking about? Kubuntu?
>>
>>51553399
these >>51553319 were my requirements, no kubuntu because i dont like apt
>>
>>51553412
Just use Kubuntu, you dimwit. If you don't like apt, just install another package manager and configure it yourself.
>>
>>51553412
>he doesn't know openSUSE
Jesus Christ.
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-11-27_12-05-20.png (778 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-11-27_12-05-20.png
778 KB, 1680x1050
I'm a little girl who installed archlinux a while ago.
Now it seems there is something wrong with my fonts. Firefox cannot display some of them, but it works just fine for other sites.
What am I doing wrong?
Pic related.
>>
>>51553609
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration

Try to install fonts.
>>
>>51553609
>taeyang
Even worse than anime shit..
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-11-27_12-25-39.png (632 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-11-27_12-25-39.png
632 KB, 1680x1050
>>51553623
thanks, I had to unlink my Windows Fonts and rerun fc-cache :)
>>
New to Linux here, reading on the archwiki I hear the phrase "advanced Linux user" a lot. What exactly does that mean? How do you get more advanced at using an operating system to the point that you can install something like arch or gentoo?
>>
>>51553776
The only thing you need is time and effort. Everything else comes naturally.
If you still have a job/life, you shouldn't consider yourself an "advanced linux user".
>>
>>51553319
Why dont you just install a redhat distro, opensuse, literally anything non debian based and then install KDE on to it.

I mean literally what youre looking for is arch or fedora, bleeding edge and relatively stable. Good luck finding true stability with newer packages than ubuntu though.

KDE by default literally doesnt matter. Only chakra fits your meme requirements
>>
>>51550852
>You have freedom using the bad license. Using gnu, your freedom is looking miter to their strict interpretation.
The only freedom denied you under the GPL is the freedom to deny freedom to other people, which nobody should be using anyways.
>>
>>51553776
If words like daemons, ACL, man, sudoers, xorg.conf or "./configure; make; make install" don't make you anxious, you can consider yourself an "advanced Linux user".
>>
File: 1446753857515.png (222 KB, 1000x924) Image search: [Google]
1446753857515.png
222 KB, 1000x924
>>51553801
>If you still have a job/life, you shouldn't consider yourself an "advanced linux user".
good one
>>
File: thank gnu.jpg (55 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
thank gnu.jpg
55 KB, 500x375
Any good tips to make the transitioning from Windows to GNU/Linux smoother? Acclimatizing is the biggest issue I've had.
>>
>>51554572
>Linux Mint
Linux Mint
>>
>>51554572
>>51554585
Just use it.
>>
>>51554585
I'll try that in a VM, see how it does.

>>51554591
Now that I think about it, I guess a big part of feeling lost is not having your usual programs available. Is there a comprehensive list of windows software equivalents for GNU somewhere?

Things I'm missing the most: Adobe Ps, Sony Vegas, Lightshot (comprehensive screenshotter with uploader), Foobar2000, MPC-HC with madVR, Taiga (MAL list updater), functional Razer Naga sidebuttons (Synapse), Visual Novels and f.lux
>>
>>51554657
Nigga why do you even want Linux then? Suicide yourself.
>>
>>51554657
And before I'm crucified, I have checked the list of recommended GNU/Linux software on the second post. It has a lot of options, but not exactly direct comparisons.

>>51554673
>Friendly Linux Thread
I guess I shouldn't have believed the thread name so easily.

I just want more control over my PC, customize it to my preferences further. I spent years setting windows exactly to my tastes, so I'm having a little more difficulty adapting to a completely alien OS, but figure in the long run it'll be for the best.
>>
>>51554657
>Foobar
mpd+ncmpcpp, or see 2nd post before OP

>Adobe PS
Linux doesn't have good replacement for it, well there is Krita.

>Functional Razer
Have no experience, but look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Razer

>Visual Novel
I'm not a fag.
>>
>>51554711
>mpd+ncmpcpp
Thanks, will check
>Krita
Will try
>Razer
Thanks for the link
>I'm not a fag
But self-centered people who believe only their interests are valid and all other people should just be clones of them are fags, anon.

I was hoping Wine could run weeb waifu simulators, but I guess we can't have everything. Worst case scenario I'll just dual boot.
>>
>>51554749
mpd can be a pain to deal with, use cmus/a GUI one that the link recommend (second post)

also
>lightshot
If you GNOME/Unity, literally just press your Print screen button.
>>
>>51554749
>I was hoping Wine could run weeb waifu simulators
You could install Windows inside Linux with VirtualBox, just for VNs and the other software with no equivalents. If you keep dualbooting you'll just end up going back to Windows.
>>
>>51554703

Linux may not be the choice for you. PS has not got a drop-in replacement. GIMP is *very* good, but it also works very differently and you'll need to relearn a lot.

Vegas is the same.

You may want to use wine to keep those programs running in Linux.
>>
>>51554817
Figured as much, thanks for the info. What do you think about >>51554791 's suggestion? Heard Wine doesn't work very well with heavyweight software like Ps
>>
>>51552178
Nice explanation, thanks
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-09_19-30-29.png (54 KB, 805x526) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-09_19-30-29.png
54 KB, 805x526
>>51554657
>Adobe Ps
Pic related
>MPC-HC
MPV it's pretty good, and with converting script it can do a lot.
>Taiga
https://github.com/talisein/mal-gtk

The rest is yet to be.
>>
>>51554657
>Foobar2000
quodlibet, gmusicbrowser, mpd+cantata, clementine, deadbeef
>MPC-HC with madVR
mpv
>f.lux
redshift
>>
>>51553412
>i dont like apt
you are fucking retarded
anyway, try using fedora or something...
>>
>>51553776
advanced linux user means you can use your computer without GUI and install a package manually
>>
>>51555251
apt is the worst package manager of all time, no wonder he doesn't like it.
>>
>>51555312
lol what?
>>
>>51555312
*yum
FTFY
>>
I understand that there is a need to organize files somehow on the hard disk, we cant just lay down a bunch of zeroes and ones without order. And that's why we have filesystems. But what does formmating a drive actually do? I mean, when I first heard about the concept I thought that that meant that an empty disk is just filled up in a certain fashion so that we coukd read back from it later, but then I read about it and it is said that the filesystem is actually on the disk, and that's why even an empty one has some data written on it
>>
>>51555317
apt is shit, is that clearer for you?
>>
>>51555312
that's a good joke, m8
seriously, though, don't blame other people for your own stupidity
>>
>>51555332
Its clearer now that you are underage faggot cunt without solid arguments.
>>
>>51555334
I don't, I blame developers for making a shitty package manager
>>
>>51555343
>you're a cunt
>solid argument
yeah nice one
>>
>>51555345
Hello there, red hat shill.
>>
>>51555345
Can't wait for your package manager.
Oh thats right you are a neet cunt.
>>
>>51555359
No, I have just used ones which are better, simple as that.
>>
>>51555345
lemme guess: you were too lazy to read the manpages of apt and dpkg, so you cried, got mad and installed another distro, and now think that that other distro is awesome and apt is shit
I got news for you: package management in debian and derivatives is made to make the life of the user easier (while being really complext for devs... but that's another topic), and no other package manager compares to it.
have you ever used a ROM-based distro? they are all SHIT, just because they use RPM.
>>
>>51555379
Such as?
>yum/dnf
What an unusable piece of shit
>portage
Why bother managing something that compiled from source?
>zypper
makes me puke
>xbps
R E D U N D A N T P I E C E O F S H I T
>>
>>51555394
he is going to say pacman
>>
>>51555408
>>
so I have a Windows machine with a 3TB drive in it. I also have a Linux machine with a 3TB drive in it. I backed up the stuff on the Windows machine to the Linux machine. Windows says I have 247GB free on the drive. Linux, with the exact same files on its drive, says I have 69GB free.

What gives? Is Linux doing some sort of "recycle bin" bullshit behind my back? If so, how do I empty it and turn that off? Debian stable with XFCE, btw
>>
>>51555393
>you were too lazy to read the manpages of apt and dpkg
nope
>no other package manager compares to it.
incorrect
>they are all SHIT, just because they use RPM.
This I can agree with.
>>
>>51555394
>I've never used portage
Portage is much better than apt.
>Why bother managing something that compiled from source?
What ignorant nonsense.
>>
ahh, le edgy gentoo user...
here you go m8, people made a website for people like you (kinda applies to arch users, too):
http://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/
>>
>>51555404
Guix :^)
>>
>>51555483
Why do you make yourself look like such a fool?
>>
>>51551042
No, because I need to get shit done.

P.S.: I am not a NEET.
>>
>>51551042
for a desktop? I don't use GUI for job.
>>
>>51551042
That portage piece of shit users maybe is so hardcore.
>>
>>51555047
>mal-gtk
I prefer trackma, since it updates episodes automatically.
Taiga is planning to go cross platform at some point in the future.
>>
>>51551042
I only use Xorg if I want to browse for a bit or feel like watching some videos.
I usually close Xorg after I'm done and jump back to tty1.
>>
How can I make my desktop look as good as those in Desktop Threads?
Do I need to be an elite in Linux to do so?
>>
>>51550525
yeah so you need to run bootrec /fixmbr

BUT this won't work if you have a UEFI mobo.

For me, I spent hours trying to figure out why nothing I found for a solution online would work. What I finally figured out was that I needed to edit my BCD store. I don't fully understand what that is, but once you finally boot into windows, I installed some GUI application that tells you what each BCD file on your computer represents and deleted all associated with Linux. Afterwards, you need to reboot to confirm it worked, but that's how I got mine to work
>>
>>51555578
Hello, Richard.
>>
>>51555560
>I use mint
>>
>>51555581
Look at the wiki in the stickied thread. There is a guide to ricing your desktop.
>>
>>51555581
>second page
>Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
>>
>>51554846

Wine is generally best with popular software like PS and WOW

A VM is a good idea though, for pure software stuff - I've had trouble getting hardware pass through to work reliably.
>>
>>51554657
>Adobe PS
Gimp and Krita
>Sony Vegas
Kdenlive
>Lightshot
Shutter
>Foobar
Clementine
>MPC-HC
mpv
>Visual novels
WINE should work
>>
How to install KDE from a terminal? kde.org only points to distros that ship it by default. What if I want to have two DEs ...
>>
>>51556122
emerge kde-plasma/plasma-meta

Search your package manager for the kde package or meta package if it has one, and then install it.
>>
File: gpl.gif (94 KB, 725x325) Image search: [Google]
gpl.gif
94 KB, 725x325
> G NU
> P LUS
> L INUX
>>
>>51556202
suck my GNUts, nerd
>>
>>51549945
>install arch on hp laptop
>used LVM with /usr on its own partition
>everything installed okay/boots to shell
>after loading partitions screen goes black, da fuq
>plug in vga cord to monitor see shell prompt
>ip link enp0s25 up
>netctl enable enp0s25
>nothing.
>wifi-menu, nothing
>rfkill list, soft block no, hardblock yes (fuck)

any ideas on getting my laptop screen unfuckulated and to use backlight over vga port.
>inb4 look at logs, saw acpi messages
>added acpi=linux command to kernel boot params
>>
>>51556122
What is your distro,
>>
>>51556280
>he fell for arch meme
>>
>>51556280
Use Architect. It seems you're still not good to install Arch manually.
>>
>>51556296
Xubuntu
>>
>>51556308
that sucks the fun right out of it
>>
>>51556309
sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
>>
How do I migrate to a bigger disk? I'd like to copy this system to a bigger drive, so my partitions get bigger.
>>
>>51556280
>enp0s25
Wasn't it enp0s3?
>>
>>51556319
not being able to use your computer sucks the fun out of it
>>
>>51556329
what distro are you using? and are you using anything like LVM?
>>
>>51556340
the nic name changes per hardware. Why they didn't stick with eth0, eth1 etc. is beyond me.
>>
>>51556329
partition it, copy all the contents to the respective partition.
>>
>>51556351
mint, no lvm, no encryption
just simple / and /home
>>
>>51556363
>thanks Lennart
>>
>>51556347
its a poop hp laptop I don't care what happens to it.

>>51556373
ehh are you just concerned about the stuff i /home? I'd make a backup of that or copy the contents to a flashdrive or whatever then reinstall the distro with lvm. That way you can always extend individual filesystems.
>>
When will Mint start shipping latest KDE?
>>
>>51556402
>>
>>51556365
but wouldn't these partitions have different UUID? fstab would be dead, right?
>>
>>51556407
FINALLY
>>
>>51556402
When will Mint start shipping with the latest kernel?
>>
>>51556413
Yeah, change fstab. Easy.
>>
>>51556417
According to distrowatch Mint is above every distro by far. Why is that if it has old stuff ? I always wondered about this
>>
>>51556431
Because it aims to be stable
>new packages =! good
>>
>>51556431
Mint is an Ubuntu-ripoff with Cinnamon piece of shit.
>>
>>51556441
There are way newer stable versions of almost everything Mint comes with.
>>
>>51556280
>>rfkill list, soft block no, hardblock yes (fuck)
that happens when the wifi is disabled in hardware
>>
>>51556445
But they give it with MATE , xfce and kde too ...
>>
File: 55333767.jpg (87 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
55333767.jpg
87 KB, 400x400
>>51556445
>this
>>
>>51556445
I've been a Mintfag for two years now and I'm considering switching to a bleeding edge distro. Any suggestions? Arch doesn't seem all that intimidating anymore, but I fear I will still have to spend a lot of time configuring it.
>>
>>51556456
And what exactly is the difference between Mint MATE/XFCE/KDE with Ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu and Kubuntu? Aside from it's Minty green bullshit puke-inducing color?
>>
>>51556473
fedora is as bleeding edge as it gets
>>
>>51556454
>There are way newer stable versions of almost everything Mint comes with.
No sure you understand what stable means in this sense.
Freezing packages is a common thing for distros aiming to be stable.
>>
>>51556473
Arch-based distro (Antergos), or Architect, or Fedora Rahide, or openSUSE Tumbleweed
>>
>>51556476
I don't know man , I just want to know more. I am not even using Mint, I am on Xubuntu.
I'm just curious about that distrowatch list and why Mint is so much more above.
>>
>>51556517
Distrowatch is a completely flawed system. Something at the top of the list gets clicked on first because people think it must be the best because it's at the top of the list, that distro gets an even higher ranking because of clicks, repeat repeat repeat. Not to mention fanboys/shills doctoring results by using bots or other methods to garner clicks and page views.
>>
File: officer_hopps.png (253 KB, 514x420) Image search: [Google]
officer_hopps.png
253 KB, 514x420
>>51549945
Uhm, I think you mis-spelled Xerox/GNU/Linux.

Don't forget that if it weren't for Xerox Richard Stallman would have never started the open-source software movement.
>>
Okay, so what is the difference between
cat file.txt

and
cat < file.txt

?

They output the same result.
>>
>>51556473
manjaro
>>
>>51556589
But who is speaking for Xerox ? Do they have their RMS?
>>
>>51556589
Go fuck yourself.

Why can't you autistic fags call it just Linux?
Kernel is the most important part of any OS anyway.
>>
>>51556589
Xerox/GNU/Linux/systemd/X11/Apache/pacman/portage/blahblah
>>
>>51556599
lol top kek
>>
File: 1447595597144.png (106 KB, 749x573) Image search: [Google]
1447595597144.png
106 KB, 749x573
>>51556599
DON'T LISTEN TO THIS SHITHEAD.
>>
>>51556616
But its useless unto itself.
>>
>>51556630
haha can that distro get any worse
>>
>>51556487
Fedora is the reason I switched back to Debian stable.
And now I have a phobia of bleeding edge distros.
>>
>>51556643
serves you right u fucking ex-guinea pig for Red Hat
>>
File: 1444509162464.jpg (330 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
1444509162464.jpg
330 KB, 806x938
>>51556636
>>
File: 1448557544401.jpg (337 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
1448557544401.jpg
337 KB, 806x938
>>51556636
And so is GNU.
>>
>>51556658
why do you post this fake statement? Are you 14?
>>
>>51556658
>>51556663
kek
>>
>>51556663
I agree. Therefore its not fair to call it only GNU or only Linux , its fair only GNU/Linux>>51556658
>>
>>51556666
Richard pls.
>>
>>51556666
Go back drinking your Pepsi, Stallman.
>>
>>51556683
Kernel boots up before any other thing, so we shoud call it Linux/GNU, not GNU/Linux.

Hell, there should even be Linux/GNU/Unity, Linux/GNU/Openbox etc.

See?
>>
Linux can be used without GNU, but GNU can't be used without Linux.

>inb4 Hurd
piece of shit
>>
>>51556455
yeah I'm wondering if my wifi switch broke or got enabled somehow. The laptop is pretty bad.
>>51556643
hey but it is the most bleeding edge and thats what the man wanted
>>51556653
RHEL master race
>>
Can't you nerds argue about something more meaningful than this?
>>
>>51556740
We've argued about filesystems before :^)

>>51554112
>>
>>51556740
Then how about you answer this >>51556593
>>
>>51556748
This is false. Linus loves to suck Apple dick. That's why they added support for Macbooks.
>>
>>51556761
I don't see why you would use streams for such a simple command
>>
>>51556593
The first one opens the file itself. The second one opens the standard input, in which the contents of file.txt is piped through by the shell.
>>
>>51556628
>>51556630
>>51556641
>samefag
>>
File: try again.png (9 KB, 339x124) Image search: [Google]
try again.png
9 KB, 339x124
>>51556822
Try again.
>>
>>51556473
debian unstable
>>
>>51556663
actually debian GNU/Hurd works, not very good but it does work.
>>
>>51549945
CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.70GHz @ 800MHz
Explain me this
Is it running at not full speed or something?
P.S it's clocked to 2.0GHz with touching 2 pins(some trick but works)
>>
Why is Debian such shit?
In the middle od installing process it says that system install is fucked. And no remedy whatsoever.

fuck this shit!
>>
>>51556959
forgot to include pic
>>
>>51556990
I never had that problem so FROM MY POINT OF VIEW YOU ARE SHIT
>>
>>51556990
Let me guess: Minimal installation using USB?
>>
>>51556990
>Whining instead of googling for solution or posting the error.
You are not qualified to use Debian anyway. Use Ubuntu :^)
>>
>>51557016
debian-live-8.2.0-amd64-mate-desktop+nonfree (debian-live-8.2.0-amd64-mate-desktop+nonfree.iso)
>>
>>51557016
So what? If they provide an .iso for USB then IT MUST FOKEN WERK!
>>
>>51556727
Hurd is not "shit". In fact, it is a better kernel than Linux. Unlike outdated monolithic kernels like Linux, GNU Hurd is a multiserver microkernel. It has a design superior to that of monolithic kernels like Linux, not to mention it is a GNU project and thus complies with free software principles.
>>
>>51557036
>googling for solution
Network is fucked also-even on cable!
I have only one HDD and one USB.

Fuck you!
>>
>>51557076
I always laugh at Debian/Arch/Fedora retards.
>>
>>51557076
You can buy a 16GB 3.0 USB for $10 anon.
>>
>>51557096
>buy
loonix is free?
>>
>>51556616
This just in: 1 out of 3 anons is too thick to see the joke.
>>
>>51557052
No, the minimal install doesn't work with USB. Learn to read you inbred son of a horse!

Don't tell me you even used UNetbootin to write the .iso to USB?
>>
>>51557040
On live USB it run really nice and everything was fine.

But I cannot install the damn thing!
>>
>>51557076
so what's the error? i never had your problem.
did you check the checksum? try again and report back, if you get the same error again post it.
>>
>>51557102
The software is free, the hardware isn't (Stallman actually wrote a blog-post about this).
>>
>>51556727

I'll take "What is BSD" for $500, Alex
>>
how to make i3 launch automaticly on startup?
Sucks to login and write startx every time
>>
>>51557124
>minimal instal
see:
>>51557040

>>51557130
fuck that feet-eating faggot!
>>
Guys, my PC has 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs, one of them having two partitions. I installed Elementary OS in one of the SSDs and it has no problem accessing the other HDs, but for some reason it cant see one of the partitions of my 500GB HD. The other one works normally and I can see it.

The 500GB HD has no OS installed on it. What could be the problem?

I´m trying to use Linux as my main OS for the first time, sorry if I´m being stupid.
>>
>>51556873
>Photo editing
>>
>>51557076
>not backing up the former OS
Just neck yourself.
>>
>>51557145
install win7
>>
>>51557124
a side question : what other software is there for making bootable usb beside unetbootin?Some distros don't support unet
>>
>>51557153
>not backing up the former OS
linux in nutshell
>>
>>51557145
maybe you didn't actually format the empty space so it's not recognizable? see gparted.
>>51557156
>>>/out/
>>
>>51557142
>fuck that feet-eating faggot!
I don't care much for Stallman either (Linus is the hero FOSS deserves), hardware can't (with present technology) be free (as in beer) although it can be free (as in freedom).

>>51557145
You have to mount the HDD.

>>51557166
dd
Seriously.
>>
>>51557166
from which os?
from GNU/Linux you should use dd
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Installing_an_OS
>>
I just switched from AMD catalyst to free and open source drivers and the colours on my monitor are much darker than what they're supposed to be. My monitor is already set to max brightness. How can I adjust the brightness levels in the drivers?
>>
File: debian.png (17 KB, 799x600) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
17 KB, 799x600
>The failing step is: Install the system

kek
>>
>>51557181
>>51557192
wtf does dd command do and how do I make usb bootable with it?
That link on gentoo only mentions unetbootin wtf
>>
File: 1445051289819.jpg (21 KB, 280x400) Image search: [Google]
1445051289819.jpg
21 KB, 280x400
>>51557040

I bet you used UNetBootin instead of dd, didn't you.

>get a load of this noob
>>
>>51557225
dd takes a disk image and copies it to a disk.

sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m

N is the number of the disk you want to write to.
>>
>>51557221
Did you double-check your file's md5 checksum?
>>
>>51557225
Do you have a rooted android phone? If yes use that with drivedroid, so much easier than fucking about with USB sticks.
>>
>>51557218
Are you on a labtop?
>>
>>51557259
>2016-1
>bs=1m
>>
>>51557156
I still have it on the other SSD for games.

>>51557174
Its not empty actually, its the partition I store my music. Thats why I want to find it in Linux.

>>51557181
A-anon, I just installed Linux this week. How can I mount the HDD? Also, could this still be the problem despite that I´m able to see the other partition of this HDD with no problem at all?
>>
>>51557281
No, desktop
>>
>>51557263
yes
>>
>>51557288
what is bs?
>>
>>51557304
blocksize
>>
>>51557146
>is wrong
>must be a conspiracy
>hl3 confirmed
>>
>>51557292
>Also, could this still be the problem despite that I´m able to see the other partition of this HDD with no problem at all?
You're right. Disregard my earlier comment, I can't into reading comprehension today. Try examining the HDD with whatever disk utility your distro came with.

>>51557304
block size
>>
>>51555423
in the event that anyone cares, I finally figured it out, it was the default ext4 behavior of marking 5% of the disk as reserved blocks, which is a rather whopping 140 or so GB on a 3TB disk.
>>
>>51557304
bullshit
>>
>>51549945
>Friendly Linux Thread
cannot even remember last window size and position
>>
Why my CPU is running at minimum frequency(800MHz)? Arch Linux
CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.70GHz @ 800MHz
Help if you can, thanks
>>
>>51557440
Because she has nothing better to do
>>
>>51557467
Well I overclocked her to 2.23GHz with touching 2 pins on CPU trick
On windows 7 it works, well on arch.. it's slow
>>
>>51557440
cpu governor
don't mind it, it's better that way. it keeps your cpu cool and wastes less energy

>>51557426
kde does
>>
>>51557494
Arch Linux (and probably most other distros as well) come with a configuration that lowers CPU-clock if it's not under load.
It will rise the clock when it's actually needed.
Put the system on heavy load and check again.
Or disable the feature if you really want your CPU to do lots of noops.
>>
>>51557221
did you try using another usb slot?
>>
>>51557426
>cannot even remember last window size and position

THIS!

all this bull about custom customized customization...
>>
>>51557545
all 4 of them. same shit. too bad because debian with mate is pure gold.

wat do?
>>
>>51557571
>>51557264
>>
>>51557571
what did you use to write it to usb? tried different usb-drives?
>>
>>51557558
baka desu senpai kek
>>
>>51557543
I don't give a shit about energy, and it can't overheat, because my whistle is ver strong to cool it
>>51557530
turned on livestreamer on source
lags, but screenfetch shows it at 800mhz still
>>
>>51557218
Please respond. Anyone?
>>
>>51557591
no bitch, i have ThinkPad R61
>>
File: nowwhat.png (68 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
nowwhat.png
68 KB, 580x435
Help /flt/ Can't decide :/
>>
>>51557604
lol wut senpaitachi
>>
>>51557635
You have printer? No? Disable it.

PROTIP: Don't use Cinnamon and KDE.
>>
>>51557614
>screenfetch
use lscpu
>>
>>51557615
you need to learn how to reprogram kernel from scratch in order to do that.
>>
>>51557635

I'd just go with XFCE out of those.
>>
>>51557635
see:
>>51557221

have a nice windows
>>
>>51557661
>>
>>51557218
which monitor, which version, which settings?
>>
>>51557635
XFCE
>>
Installed Debian on raid1, but I have setup Grub on the wrong partition and cant boot it now. What do?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.