[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid question thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Take at least 10 seconds to google first
Please make sure you've read the sticky before posting.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread

Previous thread >>54675730
>>
first for my wife's son
>>
In the 90s Batman cartoons, why are most of the judges black?
>>
File: $_57.jpg (65 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
65 KB, 1000x750
Reposting from 404'd thread.

If I reinstall my pirated Windows 7 Ultimate and than upgrade to Windows 10. Can I leave "update automatically" turned on? Will they notice that I came from a pirated Win7?

Pic related. I see this on eBay. Should I buy Windows 7? If I can't do the above (update auto)?

What is Windows 10? Is it Botnet?

>My PC restarted when I updated my pirated copy of Windows 7. And now it displays "This copy of Windows is not genuine".

>Should I go to the store and purchase Windows 10 Pro? I'm just a poorfag and I only use Windows OS for games. Is there a Windows Repsitory for free Windows 10? I don't want to "pay" for software.
Please help. I tried looking in the /g/ archives and nothing helped me.
>>
my external hard drive isn't showing up in linux. Can anyone help me format it
>>
My GTX460 finally fried and died. Looked like an NES game when you need to blow out the cartridge, then wouldn't even post after I restarted.

I've got a line on someone selling a 980 Windforce for $350.

Should I buy it? Wait for the 1070 or 1080?

Either way it will be a huge step up. I'm still running on 1024x768.

My motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0, but from what I read the 980 doesn't take full advantage of 2.0, let alone 3.0.

Processor is i5 2600k @ 4.5.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
How bad does this chair look?
>>
>>54693241
my girlfriend has that chair, it's really comfy
>>
My mouse was like scraping against the mousepad. Definitely felt weird so I casually wiped the bottom off with a cloth, only to discover a little film cover over the black pad was folded over itself. I peeled off three of them in total. They're the little clear things you're supposed to remove after buying the mouse. I took 'em all off and now it's silky smooth. Way smoother than it's ever been for the four years I've owned this mouse.

Not a stupid question, but I needed to let someone know. I'm retarded.
>>
>>54693318
(you)
>>
Best cooling system? Fans, liquid, etc?

I have about $300 to play with.
>>
Wondering if this could be done.

I want to have different camera profiles on my phone. I have to take a lot of pictures for my job and I don't want them stored on the same folder as my personal pictures.

Should I get two camera apps or is there a better way?
>>
If we were to get a ton of LAN switches, miles of cable and a ghetto rigged DHCP server, could we make the Internet #2?
>>
My friend is sending me his 550ti and I just want to know how good of a card this is. I'm mainly stoked for it because it has 2 DVI outputs and I have 2 DVI monitors, but also because I assume it will support 144Hz monitors. I have an ASUS VG148whatever and I didn't check that integrated graphics will support 75Hz tops, so it's been wasted money until now lol.
Now that I have a dedicated card (with i3-6100) what games can I expect to run at 60 f/s 1080p. How about 144 f/s 1080p?
>>
>>54693425

no that's retarded you need something faster like coaxial cable or fiber to have a meaningful network with more than a few thousand computers.
>>
File: youhaveprankplease.jpg (13 KB, 410x206) Image search: [Google]
youhaveprankplease.jpg
13 KB, 410x206
>>54692899
You should be fine. The sound of helicopters is normal during the upgrade.
>>
>>54693480
Okay, we'll use coax then. The 4chanternet project is too poor for fiber. Also we need a way to keep it totally isolated from the larger internet so nobody gets party vanned for piracy.
>>
>>54693425

In principle, yes
>>
>>54693569
Only do hookups for people who you know aren't going to fuck everyone over. And if they get turned, release the gators.
>>
Is it worthwhile for a home user to invest in a tape drive for longterm data backups? If so, what form factor and brand?
>>
>>54693272
Thanks man.
>>
File: TL-WDN4800-01.jpg (53 KB, 590x443) Image search: [Google]
TL-WDN4800-01.jpg
53 KB, 590x443
Can some explain why once I disable and re-enable my network adapter that my performance skyrockets for about 15 minutes before it becomes garbage again? Do I need to get a new adapter?
>>
Hi /g/

What's wrong with my computer?

It's old, built it in 2008.

Got around to using it again. If I want to turn it on I have to pull the ATX power plug out of the motherboard and plug it back in. Otherwise the power button won't do anything when pressed.

Pulling out the power back out of the back of the PSU and putting it back in doesn't work.

Why?

The 2032 battery is flat if that makes a difference.
>>
Is there an app to send simple messages from windows to android and viceversa?

I know skype and telegram exists but I want something more simple and less distracting, this is for a manufacturing plant.
>>
>>54693960
If only there were a system were you could send short messages.
>>
>>54693894
Seconding this. That method seems to be the only way I can keep my torrents from slowing until they are stuck at the speed of smell.
>>
>>54693982
Yes I wish there were a Short Messaging Service
>>
Hi /sqt/
Just installed Microsoft Office 2013 on my old laptop. I noticed that right after installation, my C drive lost like 3-4 gigs of space even though I chose other partition as the installation directory. I tried restarting and cleaning up the disk with both microsoft tool and 3rd party programs, nothing helped. Any idea where the fuck did that space go and how to get it back?
>>
>>54693894
>>54693996
This is not how networking works.
>>
>>54693960
You could always just use irc, holoirc is a decent android app
>>
>>54693894
>>54694017

I have the same adapter pictured and the same problem.
>>
>>54694017
Cool, fuck off until you're smart enough to give a real answer.
>>
I'm using VS for a C++ thing right now for school, but when I go to run/debug the program, VS hangs. It's not executing the code, because I have a breakpoint at the beginning of the program.

I guess my question is, "what the fuck?" Is there something stupid I'm missing? I'm a relative noob at programming/software
>>
>>54694017
I know theres some proper reason for why this works, but I have no idea what it is. Thought it was my ISP killing the torrents at first, because all my connections would either drop or just not transmit anything either way, but then when I do the reset they all happily pop back up and start transmitting at full speed again.
>>
>>54694023
will check that, I doubt it has a good notification system though
>>
>>54694041
Cool,fuck off until you're smart enough to acknowledge given answers

SMS faggot,are you thins fucking blunt?

>manufacturning plant
Ever hear of a fucking walkie talkie?
>>
Do pet rabbits love their owners?
>>
File: gpupower.png (77 KB, 540x1076) Image search: [Google]
gpupower.png
77 KB, 540x1076
In MSI Afterburner v4.2.0, my GPU power % seems to stick to one number for hours on end without changing. It will change sometimes, but it will typically just hold whatever number it's currently on for a very long time and not change, even when the GPU is clearly changing in power consumption (indicated by GPU usage graph, core clock graph, etc).

I'm using the latest drivers for my GTX 980. Any idea what might be causing this?
>>
Programming noob here.

What's the deal with different programming languages? Couldn't you theoretically decouple languages and functionality to the point where you could write a single application at multiple levels of abstraction and in different languages? Actually, doesn't that already happen to an extent with more complex applications and stuff like wrapper libraries?
>>
>>54692886
Because they were skilled and earned their positions.
>>
>>54694104
Faulty sensor
>>
>>54694051
What OS are you using? I have same problem on Win 7 but for some reason shit doesn't slow down on my Mint

>>54694070
IRC has great notification system, actually. On PC you can get popups, sound alerts, blinking icons, you name it. On phone you can also get a vibration when you get notification. For the record, you can configure what triggers those notifications too.
>>
What is the name of the port on the bottom of a 2 in 1 that connects it to a keyboard?
>>
>>54694117
Im on 10. Worst mistake of my life.
>>
>>54693105
The format won't matter, Linux can read just about anything. You probably need to mount it.

Try running man mount. It'll be sad something most likely.
>>
>>54694071
"That's not how networking works" is in no way a meaningful answer. It addresses nothing and contributes nothing. It's just you being a dick, so you're going to get a dick response. Clearly more than just me have this problem, so yes "that's how networking works". We're looking for an answer as to why this is, so unless you have it, shut up.

>SMS faggot, are you thins fucking blunt? Manufactoring plant. Ever hear of a walking talkie?
Did you have a stroke?
>>
>>54694135
not him, but nobody's gonna even try to help you if you act like a cunt whenever you don't like the answer
>>
>>54694116
Any particular way to test that theory?
>>
>>54693924
When you successfully get it to turn on, is the time and date fucked and wrong? That's the classic CMOS battery problem, so if it is, change the battery.
>>
>>54694156
Answers address the question, he didn't give an answer. That's like you asking a question and me saying "That's now how computers work". How is that an answer?
>>
I have a 380.

Did I fuck up? Should I try to return it and put a 960 in its place?
>>
>>54694180
The 480 is coming out in a few weeks, and it'll have performance equal to or greater than the 390X.

Yes you fucked up.
>>
>>54694117

Not him, but it happens to me on Windows 7. No issues on Arch.
>>
>>54694135
>dick answer
Nah,its the real answer. This is not how networking works.Wouldnt we have "burst macro" that disable our nics every 5 minutes to get "bursts of speed" would our ISP not provide this "feature" in our modems? the "SUPER TURBO" mode?. My response is just.
You're not getting a "burst of speed" seeing how it is WIFI,the world around you dictates how strong your signal is.You dont just "GET A BURST", you had a shitty connection so you reconnected and are getting your advertised connection.
So again
This is not how networking works.

>stroke
Can you not read?
>simple options given
>cant fathom basic options
>>
I got a UPS to fix the problem with my apparently dodgy mains supply killing my PSUs before their time. Only, the PSU still surged and trigged ASUS anti-surge while the UPS was plugged in so I'm assuming that means the PSU is on its way to being fucked. Should I turn off anti-surge's auto-shutdown and wait it out or just replace it?

Also, while the UPS is plugged into the USB slot, I get periodic "USB Removed" pings playing. Is there an easily resolved issue behind it or can I just turn off the noise entirely?
>>
>>54693172

Anyone?

Probably going to say fuck it and get the 980 anyways. Nothing I have found suggests it to be a bad idea, and it's pretty cheap.
>>
Got given a free monitor, it's a TFT 16:10 22" 1680x1050 res, DVI connection. From researching it looks like it came out in 2008. I didn't want to refuse it and never had a second monitor, is this thing hot garbage? I don't know anything about monitors
>>
>>54692899
Works. My way so far: Pirated 7, upgraded to 8 and pirated using this bug they had for a while where you could upgrade a kms key to media center pro, did the 8.1 update and later on 10. Now I'm sitting here, never paid a penny for anything from Microsoft
>>
>>54694094
Wild rabbits? no.
Pet breed rabbits? yes.
If they start licking your skin then yes. Depends entirely on different personalities. Some don't lick you and they just nibble on your clothes that has their hairs on it. And some jump into your bed and pee on it.
>>
File: 1456961320142.png (13 KB, 248x185) Image search: [Google]
1456961320142.png
13 KB, 248x185
>>54694175
>i have a problem and i post it on the board
>i get an answer stating the problem i have having is not of intended workings
>get butt mad when i cannot understand that i dont have enough information for someone else to help me.
>Dosent understand that by offering so little information,others cant diagnose the problem you are having
>HUUU DUUURR YOU DIDNT HELP ME
>>
I'm on windows and i need a File to pdf converter like the ones you can find online
>office to pdf
>upload file
>download pdf

Is there any file to pdf converter on windows? A command line tool
>>
>>54694175
>That's like you asking a question and me saying "That's now how computers work"
Then I'd either ignore it or ask to elaborate instead of acting like he shat in my lunchbox. He did give you an answer, he just didn't tell you how to fix the problem.
>>
>>54694167
Well,use your gpu,if it sticks on a number that isnt accurate to what you are doing,then thats really the only thing it can be
>>
>>54694218
Save all your old computer shit and cobble it together into a MAME arcade cabinet. Though a CRT would be a better fit.
>>
>>54694218
It's not great, but hey, having two monitors is nice
>>
>>54693407
I use folder mount. It provides a way to mount folders to new locations. I use it too link internal sd to external, however you should be able to set up to mounts, one from dcim to work, one to personal and switch between them (they have checkboxes to activate / deactivate).
You need root & xposed tho
>>
>>54694201
Dude you're a fucking moron, why didn't you post that the first time then? Your "answer" was trash and it had a zero percent chance of helping anyone.
>>54694227
Oh boy a greentext anime post with HURR DURR at the end.
>>54694252
>He did give you an answer, he just didn't tell you how to fix the problem.
Then he didn't answer my fucking then did he?

I'm fucking done with this, but you're all kidding yourself if you think answers like "That's not how networking works" would have a chance in hell of answering any kind of question.
>>
>>54694266

This. You could even use a memeduino to make a custom USB controller (Leonardo 32u4).
>>
>>54694185
I don't care about that, though. I care about compatibility.
>>
Can I install an ubuntu partition on an already used secondary HDD?

I have a 120gb boot drive that I don't want to use, and my 2tb secondary drive has 1.5tb of space I haven't used yet, is it possible to use say 500gb of that space as a linux parition, while still keeping the rest of it as storage?

Thanks
>>
I need a new tv. Not willing to spend more than 2 grand.

Should I go OLED? I really, REALLY want one.
>>
>>54694045
You answered yourself. It's not hanging but in debug mode. F5 to continue, F11 for a single step, F10 for function step.
>>
>>54694295
If you would like to be coherent and actually provide accurate information beyond HURR DUN WURK.I would gladly attempt to help you.
>>
Hey /g/ I have constant small tears on my asshole, what do? It's not exactly painful, and it used to only be a small tear or 2, but now there appears to be a bunch, I can see no reason for this happening as I haven't even done anal play in months.
>>
>>54694383
Try plugging out and in again
>>
>>54694358
Those were all you? Dude fuck right off, you clearly have more internet arguments to pretend to win by samefagging.
>>
>>54694358
But the third one was misquoted
>>
>>54692886
>In the 90s Batman cartoons, why are most of the judges black?
Because black people are very experienced in dealing with the intricacies of the legal system, and so are uniquely qualified for such positions.
>>
>>54692886
probably to underscore how bleak the future is.
>>
>>54694433
So instead of attempting to solve your problem,you point out a mistake you made that isnt relevent to the matter at hand?
>>
>>54694470
Not me dumbass
>>
>>54694357
I appreciate the response; I tried all of the above and it still appears to be hanging for some reason. I have a simple program that's just a printf to make sure it wasn't the code in the original program.

I built it and hit F5 to debug, and F10 and F11 aren't doing anything to advance the program's execution
>>
is there a way to send text messages from a desktop computer?
>>
>>54694492
Get a Mac :^)
>>
>>54694492
Applications like Pushbullet, Airdroid, or Apple's Continuity will let you do that.
>>
>>54694512
lol
>>54694516
oh cool, thanks
>>
how can i backdoor a php file to log every POST login into a text file?
>>
I have a usb drive mounted and want it to be found on debian running on virtualbox

Send help
>>
>>54694470
I'm not him, was just pointing out that he misquoted someone in that angry post of his. Now he seems to be deluding himself into believing you're samefagging without even realizing that the third post he quoted was you helping someone else.
>>
Can you explain to someone very new to programming why using an IDE can be detrimental while learning?
>>
>>54694667
It's not, it's a guide

It doesn't do your work for you, but it makes your life about 10 times easier
>>
>>54694656
> Now he seems to be deluding himself into believing you're samefagging without even realizing that the third post he quoted was you helping someone else.
Wow that totally doesn't sound like a samefag post. Not even him, just saying.
>>
how do I start to implement a binary search tree in c++?
>>
>>54694006
Anyone? The space seems to be completely unaccounted anywhere I looked.
>>
File: Capture.png (18 KB, 510x352) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18 KB, 510x352
Multiplier at 41, HWMonitor reports 4100MHz being used with Prim95 running.
Multiplier at 44, HWMonitor reports pic related with Prime95 running.
I've restarted and checked my bios multiple times, and the values are there (44 multiplier, volts at 1.350)
What gives?
>>
>>54694847
don't remember the name off the top of my head but there's a program for windows that shows you visually what type of files are taking up what amount of space and shows you where those files are
>>
>>54694909
I think its called Disc Analyzer, but that might be a hardware checking program.
>>
>>54694944
not the one I was thinking of but space sniffer does the same thing, I still can't remember the other ones name though
>>
assuming i have someones credit card information, how would i go about safely buying items?

public library, new email, new amazon account.

now will they be waiting for me at the amazon depot when i go to collect?
>>
My friend is sending me his 550ti and I just want to know how good of a card this is. I'm mainly stoked for it because it has 2 DVI outputs and I have 2 DVI monitors, but also because I assume it will support 144Hz monitors. I have an ASUS VG148whatever and I didn't check that integrated graphics will support 75Hz tops, so it's been wasted money until now lol.
Now that I have a dedicated card (with i3-6100) what games can I expect to run at 60 f/s 1080p. How about 144 f/s 1080p?
>>
>>54695018
>credit fraud
Enjoy your v&
>>
>>54694909
>>54694944
>>54694961
Gave SpaceSniffer a try, here's what I found out:
There's exactly 3gb file called pagefile.sys on my C drive, also another hiberfil.sys with size of 2.1 gb. Could any of these be the cause?
>>
do i have to ground myself with touching the mother board only?
>>
CS & EE or CE?
I'm tempted to go double major just for the shock and awe value on a resume, but CE alone would definitely make the next few years of life easier.
>>
>>54695069
The pagefile is sorta like auxiliary RAM. Uses the hard drive to store the same sort of data, I'd leave that alone. Hiberfile is some bigass memory dump that happens when you hibernate the computer, so I'd also leave that alone.
>>
>>54695111
You can disable the Hibernation functionality with: powercfg.exe -h off
It deletes the hiberfil.sys file too.
>>
Noctua NH-T1 is a good option if AS5 is out stock?
>>
>>54695111
Well, then the only other big things I can think of are in Windows folder. There's 4.1gb Installer folder and 4gb winsxs folder. The rest is just System32 and other crap
>>
>>54694961
You might be thinking of WinDirStat
>>
>>54695146
yep that's it
>>
>>54694909
Also, try running Disk Cleanup in administrator mode. That should get you some more free space.
>>
>>54694902
Well this is stupid.
>disabled turboboost
>HWinfo and HWmonitor reports 4400 being utilized
>run prime 95
>multiplier only reaches x35
How? This is an i5-6600k
>>
>>54694761
bump
>>
>>54695139
Look in that installer folder to see if any of it is utterly useless. Also I know that Nvidia, for some reason, copies its driver installers to a folder when you run them, which eats up like a third of a gig every time.
>>
File: enter the lost city.png (179 KB, 375x271) Image search: [Google]
enter the lost city.png
179 KB, 375x271
What's a solid Z170 board in the $150-200 range? No MSI, please.
>>
>>54695105
Honestly, CS and CE would be a good middle ground. More class overlap than CS and EE but still a solid understanding of the physical side of things.
>>
>>54695048
i've got to do it out of principle. someone took a very large risk to expose those numbers to me.
>>
>>54695175
Logicalincrements.com
>>
>>54695018
Buy bitcoins.
Sell bitcoins later.

Dont do illegal stuff, etc.
>>
>>54695195
Are you clinically insane?
>>
>>54695175
Gigabyte UD5. There's also the UD5 TH, which has Thunderbolt 3 and a few other extra ports in case you want to make some sort of colossal wire nest.
>>
Are HTPC's a meme? I just have a HDMI cable from my pc to my tv and watch stuff like that.
Or are they mainly for tv's where you don't have a computer nearby?
>>
>>54694606
I don't you think you can do that, but Weevely on github looks like a really nice PHP shell. That is more in the realm of XSS/BeEF
>>
>>54695209
well its illegal in essence, no changing that. wont they trace that through bitcoin to find where i ship the items to?

>>54695210
clinically no
>>
File: asd.png (26 KB, 572x297) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
26 KB, 572x297
>>54695173
It's all filled with folders with weird names such as "{90150000-001F-040C-0000-0000000FF1CE}" and fuckload of installers with names similar to "2c6b2a7".

>>54695146
>>54695151
Gave it a try. Program Files and Program Data are less than 2gb altogether. The biggest stuff is the two files I mentioned earlier and those two folders inside Windows directory.
>>
>>54695175

What's wrong with MSI?
>>
>>54695269
Please leave, you're making a scene.
>>
>>54695284
you can turn off pagefile and hybersis if you've a decent amount of ram and no intention of having your system sleep/hibernate
>>
>>54695284
Your C: has 21GB on it. Sounds normal to me.
>>
>>54695302
get off it senpai
>>
>>54694488
Anyone?

Thanks, /g/entlemen
>>
>>54695197
Thanks for the reply, but I've already looked there, and I wanted to hear /g/'s opinions. Besides, LI's recommendations can be off sometimes.

>>54695218
Thanks, I was heavily considering that as well. How does Gigabyte compare to Asus these days? Back when I last looked into motherboards, they were sort-of second fiddle, but this generation of Asus boards seems a bit hit-and-miss as far as I can tell.

>>54695289
Perhaps nothing these days, I haven't kept up with motherboard manufacturers for a while. I've been thoroughly fucked by their shitty Military-Gradeâ„¢ VRMs in the past though.
>>
>>54695306
I'll probably do that

>>54695317
Well, like I've said earlier, the main issue isn't the amount of space I have left, but the fact that 3 gigabytes of free space on C drive just disappeared the moment I installed Microsoft Office, which, by the way, I installed on different partition altogether. I chose different partition precisely to avoid C drive getting filled but apparently it doesn't matter.
>>
>>54695373
I personally used to hate Gigabyte, but they've done nothing but impress me recently.
Can't really go wrong with Asus though, you're just going to be paying more when you might not need to.
>>
Installing Wangblows 10, how large of a partition should I assign it? Any reason not to keep it completely separate so I can wipe it and reinstall as I need to later?
>install gentoo
>botnet
>etc.
Please no.
>>
do you use antivirus on your android or comon sense?
>>
>>54695423
Not all of Office gets installed where you specify. Some of it goes inside Windows, such as a backup of the installer and various shared libraries and fonts. Which shouldn't be 3GB worth though.
>>
>>54695454
A tiny install of W10 takes 25GB, after squeezing shit out of it. Normal installs take 40GB.
>>
>>54695463
the latter
>>
>>54695454
>Installing Wangblows 10, how large of a partition should I assign it?
20GB
>Any reason not to keep it completely separate so I can wipe it and reinstall as I need to later?
None at all. Just don't reinstall it after you wipe it.
>>
>>54695492
wut?
>>
>>54695499
>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
>>54695499
what are you confused about?
>>
>>54695517
what's latter?
>>
>>54695531
see >>54695514
>>
>>54695499
>>54695531
What a dumb cunt
>>
>>54694171
Well yes, I did say the battery is flat. But is that related to having to pull the power plug out of the mobo itself to get it to turn on? Once it's been shut down or turned off, the power button will not work again, and only works once the 24-pin ATX cable has been unplugged and plugged in again. Unplugging the power from the PSU doesn't work and still won't turn out without doing the aforementioned trick. Wondering why tf
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4w3VdC

How shitty is this build? I'm abandoning my deafening 5 year old laptop with a desktop, hopefully something mildly powerful and quiet. I'd mostly be playing Paradox and 4x games on it, so I figured I could skimp on my graphics card for now.
>>
>>54695471
Yeah, I expected it to take some space on C, just not 3 gigabytes. I'm just gonna assume it's because of MS Office updates which installed automatically.
>>
How can I get teenage bois to watch my youtube channel if I don't have boobs or a non-american accent?
>>
>>54695740
Clickbait title and thumbnail picture
>>
>>54695740
have edgy opinions

here is a starter guide:
1. think of something that is popular
2. say that thing is bad
3. repeat every other day.
4. make patreon

and thats it, you're in the big money now.

sometimes you can mix it up by saying that something unpopular is good.
>>
>>54695592
Reasonably good. Better than 90% of the shit that gets pushed through here. I would personally get 2400 speed RAM since you're on a non OC board, and it won't cost much more for respectable gains (~5 FPS) in a few geimus.
>>
>>54695740
No facecam, subtly effeminate name, girl voice. >>>/lgbt/ has some guides on it for MtFs.
Best of luck.
>>
>>54695592
Get a cheaper PSU or a 650W one.
Why not a 250GB SSD and a 1TB WD Blue?

Get a GTX 950 instead the 750Ti for $15 moreif you are going to pay $120 for it, 30% performance difference.
>>
File: 1463861008291.jpg (44 KB, 526x504) Image search: [Google]
1463861008291.jpg
44 KB, 526x504
A friend with W7 wants to install the SP1 pack without having to reinstall Windows because a lot of shit doesn't work without it. His copy ain't genuine, of course.

What can he do?
>>
File: -.jpg (24 KB, 416x304) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
24 KB, 416x304
All my local stores dont sell Windows 8 anymore
And my local online store is temperary sold out
Should I bite the bullet and buy 10?
Can I just buy 8 digitally, slap it onto a USB and then put it on my new PC
>>
Is there an addon for Chromium that will increase the size of videos in YouTube? I remember there was one for Firefox but what about Chrome/Chromium?
>>
>>54696093
Why not just play YT videos via an external media player with youtube-dl integration (think MPC/mpv do this)? Then you'll have an exclusive window to resize as you please, and superior buffering.
>>
>>54696093
E N H A N C E
>>
I have a bunch of pixmaps that are a single color + 8 bit transparency. I'd like to convert all pixels to a single color, but leave transparency alone. I've been playing around with imagemagick's convert command but haven't gotten anywhere.
>>
>>54696087
Or just download the ISO and run MSToolkit AutoKMS.
>>
File: a.jpg (224 KB, 1032x472) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
224 KB, 1032x472
I know you have to modify a level order traversal...but how? A regular spiral would be so much simpler...
>>
how do i keep away from viruses on android?
>>
>>54696187
Don't install random APKs you found on the internet.
>>
>>54696178
explain to me how that example is a "spiral"

or how a "spiral" is defined here

because I sure am not getting it
>>
>>54696174
So I can install it from USB then it would request a key or something, then I can buy it from there?
>>
>>54696199
what's apk?
>>
>>54696215
Running AutoKMS would activate it without the need to buy a key.

If you really want to buy one for whatever reason yes, you can buy a key digitally, just be careful where you buy it.

There are no downsides of pirating windows anyway.
>>
>>54696226
Wow what are you doing on /g/ little buddy?

It's just an app. Don't download random apps off the internet. Stick to the play store and you should be good.
>>
>>54696241
thanks
>>
File: s.jpg (245 KB, 1032x472) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
245 KB, 1032x472
>>54696204
>>
>>54696226
In simple words, .APK is the file of the installers in android, the file that installs the app.

Its really rare to get a virus in Android honestly, if you are paranoid just install Malwarebytes.
>>
>>54696241
>little buddy
Nah, just your average CS undergrad.
>>
>>54696262
That's what I thought, but apparently creators think otherwise, see what it SHOULD print
>>
>>54696267
>install Malwarebytes.
on pc or phone?
>>
File: 1.jpg (819 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
819 KB, 3264x2448
Can you identify this cable? Is about a foot long with a ferrite core on one end. It is definitely some old computer cable by beyond that I have no idea.
>>
>>54696324
Phone.
>>
>>54696178
that is not a spiral traversal

idk what that's called
>>
>>54696327
is it not a PS2 port? if not that then the Green colored one that is similar to a PS2 port?
>>
>>54696327
looks closer to an audio cable

also, that fucking thumbnail
>>
>>54696343
Not him but no, PS2 uses 6 pins.
>>
>>54696327
This is a blue board.
>>
>>54696327
How morbidly obese are you? 300+?
>>
>>54696178
so do a breadth first traversal and stick each level of the tree in a different bin
read out row 0 left to right
read out row n right to left
read out row 1 left to right
read out row n-1 right to left
etc
etc
etc
>>
For the past few weeks, when I start, quit, or Alt+Tab a game, sometimes my monitor will go black, and I have to turn it off and on again. Is this just my monitor shitting out or a more serious problem?

Also one time I shut off my computer and instead of saying "no signal" the fucker started angrily blinking solid red.
>>
>>54696386
sounds like a GPU/driver issue.
>>
What's the point of website addresses (www.blah.com)? Why don't people just use their IP addresses? The only reason that I can think of is so it's easy to remember. Is there a downside to using your plain IP address?
>>
>>54696405
>What's the point of website addresses (www.blah.com)? Why don't people just use their IP addresses?
IP addresses are tied to location/provider

If I host blah.com in th US but move to canada, get a canadian server, the IP address will necessarily change.

Also, a URL can point to multiple IPs (relay/etc) in order to share load between servers. So everyone who types in google.com in a given second, isn't actually talking to the same machine in the same place.
>>
>>54694206
>Should I turn off anti-surge's auto-shutdown and wait it out or just replace it?
No, replace it now.
> the UPS is plugged into the USB slot
Why?
>>
>>54696398
I guess it's back to 362.00 again.
And after they finally fixed that Netflix crash too.

I'm fucking going ATI next time.
>>
>>54692811
I'm currently running windows XP on a lenovo thinkpad T61, if i install a different OS will it run faster?
>>
>>54696386
>>54696398
oh, unless it was a hard shutoff on the computer. in that case I'd have someone look at the monitor if it's that big of an issue.
>>
>>54696448
lubuntu
>>
>>54696327
Non standard/proprietary 9 pin mini-DIN?
>>
Is there a site that reports on PC parts to be released in the future? Looking to make my first rig in about a year so was wondering if I could put it together beforehand, so to speak.
>>
>>54696453
No, it was shut down from the start menu.
I mean, it's a shitty HP monitor I got at Staples years ago so if it is the monitor I'd just get a new one that's actually good.
>>
>>54696487
Yeah, reading tech blogs.
No one can tell you that sort of thing. don't be an idiot.
>>
>>54696495
there are monitor tests you can do, probably. could help. google around.
>>
>>54696474
It only has 8 pins though...
>>
>>54693960
could try Ring
https://ring.cx/
>>
>>54696467
2nd question: if i install a different OS will i lose all my shit?
>>
>>54696448
>>54696568
>>
Not necessarily, but it will eventually happen to you at least once before you learn.
>>
can I produce music only with reference headphones on my chinkpad? how important is it to have a sound interface?
>>
>>54696448
Buy a cheap SSD(ADATA SP550/Sandisk SSD Plus), activate SATA2, it will run faster.

Damaged/Old HDDs can reduce a computer speed.
Windows XP isnt really fast, so yes, installing a lighweight OS will help, but if you want noticeable speeds, just buy a SSD.
>>
>>54696427
Makes sense. thanks anon. On that note, what's the best (good customer service, cheap-ish) domain name registrar? I've used GoDaddy in the past, but it wasn't a good experience. I heard namecheap is pretty good with customer service.
>>
>>54696474
>>54696327
it's not DIN, DIN uses a circular pattern for the pins, and the key is semicircular, not wide like his one

is there anything written on the wire? where did you find it?
>>
>>54696386
This happened to me today after unlocking my PC.
Probably a driver issue.
>>
Ok, a bit of a complex/specific question, sorry up front. Yesterday i got a call that someone in my family died, an IT guy. He had apparently set up some servers that half the family used, controlled through his home computer. I was asked to look into it, and initially thought it was just about people wanting their data from the by now nonresponding servers, so i agreed. Now it turns out it's windows servers, which i have absolutely no clue about, and that i'm actually supposed to get them working again. Not getting enough time to read into it though, so i should just tell everyone there's no chance i can help out, but i want to try nonetheless. Is there any chance to control windows servers from a linux live environment (since his computer is inaccessible, widow doesnt know his passwords)? Only found the opposite direction about controlling linux via windows while googling. Will try to read up as much as i can until i have to go there, but any pointers/tips/help greatly appreciated.
>>
>>54694444
KWADZ CZEKK'D NUGGA
>>
>>54696666
I found a 3 year old youtube video that says uninstalling the Nvidia HD Audio drivers might fix it.

Not using them anyway, so I guess I'll try it.
>>
File: 1377735363543.jpg (31 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
1377735363543.jpg
31 KB, 500x666
>>54696698
>Problems with the screen
>Uninstall the audio drivers, that should fix the video
>>
>>54692886
Because that's when Judge Mathis & Judge Joe Brown were at the height of their careers.

It's the same reason why film directors are depicted as meek, neurotic jews.
>>
File: Capture.png (88 KB, 1480x560) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
88 KB, 1480x560
What are the mental hoops you have to jump through to write this kind of bullshit?
>>
>>54696667
yeah. you should be able to just set up a samba server with all the drives attached to a linux box to replace the windows server, assuming it isn't encrypted, which it shouldn't be.
>>
>>54696723
t. Nvidia
>>
>>54696733
BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>54696637
Wire has stylized Registered Jack logo AWM slanted E 148000 LTK STYLE 2835 VW-1 60°C 30V printed on it.

It came from a box of old computer parts and I just remembered what it is.... It is a genesis model2 to 32x cable...
>>
Why do people hate systemD
>>
>>54696799
some people grumbled because it doesn't follow the UNIX philosophy, and it snowballed.
>>
Does reducing the filepath actually help with the speed in which it's opened/accessed/searched?

I used to store a certain file in this path:
>C:\Users\Anon\Desktop\Folder\Subfolder\File.mp4
It would take at least 20 seconds to open this file. Sometimes it would take longer to even open the subfolder.

Then I relocated the file like this:
>C:\Differentfolder\File.mp4
Now it opens instantly, like it should.

Is this legit, or a coincidence? I am finding it difficult to believe that a modern computer could have this much difficulty with filepaths, and that the solution was that easy.
>>
>>54696384
but how to know when you've completed a level?
>>
>>54696818
Linus mentions in a talk about how proud he is with the filepathing speed in Linux.
it could be the Windows ball of tar they call a kernel, or it could be that you changed more than the file path and it's now less fragmented. I'd bet on the former, but I wouldn't know.
>>
>>54696849
Ohh god, the windows kernel. The scrollbar feature is integrated into the kernal and can be used to exploit 2000-10
>>
Why the fuck do phone companies still make the screen sit above the rim. Like the s3. I dropped my moto x and broke the shit - no point in gorilla glass when they make them like that. Wtf?
>>
>>54696384
won't work since the the tree isn't a binary search tree and the levels aren't uniform
>>
>>54694017
it is if a chip is getting too hot
>>
>>54696723
I don't know how it was supposed to help either but if anyone can find a way to make audio drivers fuck up video, it's Nvidia.

Either way it didn't work. But I did find that my monitor itself was set to 50Hz refresh rate, not 60, so that might have been it.
>>
>>54694017
That certain adapter is just shit, it happens.
>>
I have an htc one m7 running the latest CM12.1 nightly, and when I use snapchat or watch youtube videos, the phone heats up to ungodly temperatures. Is this a regular problem with the m7, or is this something I can solve?
>>
>>54697151
I don't know if it is normal but mine gets very hot. I have it in a case so at least it doesn't burn me.
>>
File: 1360748274139.jpg (61 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
1360748274139.jpg
61 KB, 640x479
>Get most of my PC parts
>All I need now is the Graphics card and the SSD
>Start pulling things out to get ready to slap them in
>Decide to watch a video just to make sure Im doing stuff right
>"Now we want to apply some Thermal Paste to the Processor"
I did not know I needed this, I think Ive seen this in Gore threads before and didnt understand why this was so painful, but now I understand that they put it on the wrong side
Where the fuck do I even buy this paste?
>>
>>54697224
do you also have the issue where the phone dies at ~%25-15?
>>
>>54696262
>>54696178
you need to use 2 queues I think
>>
>>54697244
>Where the fuck do I even buy this paste?
some should have come with your heatsink or CPU (if your CPU came with a heatsink)
>>
>>54697244
anywhere. eBay, amazon, your pc parts shop.

Ceramic paste is cheap and fine. You just need a very thin layer so there's full contact with no micro air gaps reducing heat transfer.
>>
>>54697281
>>54697244
It's already applied to coolers that come with CPUs. Intel's, at least, but it's easy to check. It's just some stuff that's already on the bottom of the heatsink.
>>
>>54697244
Intel HSF comes with preapplied paste, you dont need it.

You bought a HSF? its easy, just put a small dot in the middle, then put the HSF without moving it.
Get some artic silver 5.
>>
can I undervolt my i7-4720HQ (haswell) to reduce temps?

or will it become unstable before making an appreciable difference

inb4 new heatsink, this is a laptop
>>
>>54697246
it does reset every so often, not sure about battery level
>>
MSI Z97 PC Mate+ 212 EVO or ASUS Z97-A with intel stock heatsink?
>>
>>54697362
I5-4460 btw.
>>
>>54692811
I'm looking for an upgrade to my trusty but aging Phenom II X6 1100T.
I would like six true cores, ECC, and a motherboard that fits inside a non-server case. What are my options?
>>
>>54697322
>just put a small dot in the middle
I think you mean an X across the conductive plate.
>>
>>54697346
What case would you recommend?
>>
i5-6600k, 16gb ddr4, 1070(or Polaris)
Which monitor configuration would be the best? Gsync and Freesync thrown out of the window because price.
1440p@60hz
1080p@144hz
>>54697362
Get the better mobo, HSF is cheap and you can replace it anytime.
>>
>>54697281
>>54697309
>>54697322
Was this heat Sink something I would of had to buy indevicually?
I have my CPU which is just the chip (i5-660K)
and my Cooler which is just a fan (Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC-2000 PWM)
And the Motherboard (ASUS Z170-A
>>
>>54697485
>Was this heat Sink something I would of had to buy indevicually?
>I have my CPU which is just the chip (i5-660K)
If you buy a processor with retail packaging, it will come with a heatsink and fan, not just the chip.

Looks like you're missing a heatsink for your build.
>>
>>54697415
Scratch that, if the r9 390/970 can't go beyond 60(on some very few games barely above 60) fps on ultra in the most recent games then 1070/polaris on a 1440p@60hz monitor it is.
>>
File: 1132307-a.jpg (12 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1132307-a.jpg
12 KB, 350x350
>>54697485
the CPU should have come with something like this.
A noctua fan attaches onto something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/
>>
>>54697520
i5-6600k doesn't come with a stock hsf.
>>
File: Jason-faunt-06[1].png (376 KB, 1024x574) Image search: [Google]
Jason-faunt-06[1].png
376 KB, 1024x574
This one's been bugging me since I was like 7. How the fuck does a man do kung fu when 99% of his vision is blocked with opaque plastic?
>>
>>54697385
Why do you want "true six cores" whether its 1 core or 100 cores, the only thing that is relevant is overall performance, or performance in the task you'll be performing the most.
>>
>>54697534
He senses their chi duh.
>>
Are there any new silent fast hdds ever since patent trolls killed aam?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.