[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/x/ never changes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13
File: Xtards.jpg (454 KB, 1024x900) Image search: [Google]
Xtards.jpg
454 KB, 1024x900
/x/ never changes.
>>
File: Xbros.jpg (46 KB, 660x456) Image search: [Google]
Xbros.jpg
46 KB, 660x456
>>17604885
It's always been the same.
>>
Sure, /x/ changes. The House of Leaves People are kill.
>>
>>17604967
Great, now they're going to start retrofagging it up. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>17604885
You forgot the bored /pol/ migrants
>>
>>17604976
Pretty sure /pol/ didn't exist when this was created. Wasn't it the old /news/ or something?

We had a bigger problem with wandering /b/tards.
>>
>>17605001
/pol/tards, /b/tards, six of one, half a dozen of the other.
>>
>>17605011
True enough.
>>
And you're point being?
>>
File: 97b.jpg (64 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
97b.jpg
64 KB, 600x750
>>17604885
>>
File: 17H0u530152.jpg (89 KB, 560x594) Image search: [Google]
17H0u530152.jpg
89 KB, 560x594
>>17604967
>Sure, /x/ changes. The House of Leaves People are kill.

Plus the fact Millennials can't focus long enough to read a book. They need less-than 90 second long YouTubby videos with annotations and lots of repetition.

See: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/university-students-are-struggling-to-read-entire-books-a6986361.html

tlDr: wall of text hurtz
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 700x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 700x289
>>17604887
>sage
>>
>>17605053
You posted this in the art thread too. It would be nice if there were further studies to determine whether the students are really given "enough" time to finish the amount of texts they are assigned. I'm not denying people seem to have shorter attention spans these days, but college can be overwhelming.
>>
>>17605053
Books are rubbish and rubbish isn't cool, stuff and shit is cool.
Who even reads a book and shit?
It's hardly fucking Mexico.
Talk about being well off of your Jackson.
Fucking oldies.
>>
File: Alan_Moore_(2).jpg (149 KB, 528x678) Image search: [Google]
Alan_Moore_(2).jpg
149 KB, 528x678
>>17605061
>It would be nice if there were further studies to determine whether the students are really given "enough" time to finish the amount of texts they are assigned.

Yes! Semesters used to be two years long back in the fifties and sixties giving boomers plenty of time to read books at a leisurely rate.
>>
>>17605063
>books are rubbish
We're reaching immense levels of autism
>>
>>17605061
>You posted this in the art thread too.

There's only eleven people on all of /x/...which is what is so deceptive about OP's image. Some of those "types" represent more than one person.
>>
>>17604887
What are the stats for "disinfo agent"
>>
>>17605070
What are you for?
Fucking greasy cock stain.
My phones got a massive number five because it's the most common number.
It's only been out for a week in Japan.
Where's yours?
Break a chinaman yeah?
I've checked guys like you and you've got no clue.
>>
File: mask.gif (1015 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
mask.gif
1015 KB, 500x374
>>17605071
>mfw the christfag/atheistfag doesn't represent a metaphorical single person, but a literal single person
>>
File: cannot.jpg (111 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
cannot.jpg
111 KB, 600x750
>>17605046
This one has been bugging my inner grammar nazi for some time now. Fixed.
>>
>>17605063
The printed word was a revolutionary act because to write was a valued skill. The printing press helped people to have easily made copies of previously hand printed books. It raised us out of the Dark Ages. Being able to read was seen as valuable by everyone who was denied the right. Now, we have people who can read and write, but without the ability to think critically and extrapolate meaning from what they read. It's sad really.
>>
>>17605081
>What are you for?
The day be with us.
>Where's yours?
My desire for ephemeral things has been stripped away.
>>
File: 1407486834281.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1407486834281.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>17605070
>>17605090
>swallowing this much bait

u guize. stop it.
>>
>>17605053
Fun fact: I can focus long enough to read the re-hashed words of a dead man in full. Focus isn't an issue for everyone.

Another fun fact: this is only one article. Just one. Nice cherry-pick.

Another fun fact: generational labels only work for "Baby Boomers", and only because of their size. They were all born en masse within a discernible period of time. They, at least in North America, make up for a lot of the population. Health care is an issue. Political boggles are an issue. Policies of various sorts are an issue, like industry or the environment. Infrastructure is an issue. Retirement is an issue, and so forth. The rest of us just have fancy tags, and some of those tags were assigned to many before they even materialized in the world (see: Millennial). They mean absolutely nothing; if you took a true, non-probability-hacked case study on every single person who falls under the "Millennial" group, or even "Generation X", or even "Generation Z/Digital Natives", you will find enough outliers that contradict the defining characteristics of the label/s.

Not every kid who identifies as "Gen X" (or was born during said "generational period") is Howard Stern, nor a punk rocker, nor an astronaut, nor The King of Pop, nor Madonna, nor any other pop culture reference you can make involving a life jacket and a scientist.

There sure as hell aren't as many brainless slabs of meat in the "Millennial" category as you want to think.
>>
>>17605094
I didn't swallow any bait. I'm trying to help people understand why the written word has power and why there is a concerted effort to destroy it. People can wake up, but they need some help to do so.
>>
>>17605090
Nah senpai that's proper precocious and I'll tell you why yeah?
So you're off down the pub and it's fucking mental right?
Time to hit the clubs yeah and take in some sounds.
You hit the cistern after pumping some fist at a bird round the old spice and you chop out a little chalk for the sniffing.
Tell me that ain't a welsh fucking moon pie for Mondays week?
You'd be shagging up a tree on your bonkers not to cough up on that little run around.
Honestly mate your plumb Corby.
>>
>>17605095
The thing that bothers me the most about the "Millenial" label is how wide of a group it encompasses. There's a huge divide between people at the upper end, who grew up in a mostly pre-internet and solidly pre-social media era and those who have never known anything but Google, Wikipedia, and Facebook.
>>
>>17605097
You can't "help" some dipshit troll posting his own shitty rap lyrics.
>>
>>17605097
Who's concerting this effort? Why are they concerting it? And even if it were true, why would recordings be unacceptable (less honest, less informative?) as a substitute for text?
>>
>>17605071
>There's only eleven people on all of /x/

There are now 12 of us in this thread.

Must be goast.
>>
>>17605106
>how wide of a group it encompasses
Therein lies the problem of using the label. Therein also lies the problem of trying to generalize the people with said label. I could not even begin to describe my vitriolic hatred of people who use "Millennial" unironically, only to re-assert it's supposed legitimacy with some sort of claim.
>>
>>17605108
Look bruv I'm not a rapper yeah I'm on a next hype ok?
Maybe for a road man to skip a block hopper he's gotta walk like he's big yeah?
Man can complain til your a stones throw away as the crow flies but you can't kill two birds in a Rome building day if your living in a glass house.
Don't ask me cause you can't tell me anything off your batty likkle sketch dome.
Living in a frieze mechanics vegetable crisper and chatting shit to a don?
My fucking brown door can get painted white before that happens.
>>
>>17605114
Eleven people and one NSA AI to spy on us.

It isn't me.
>>
>>17605114
boo
>>
File: 1458910155617.jpg (93 KB, 1050x574) Image search: [Google]
1458910155617.jpg
93 KB, 1050x574
>>17605121
jesus fuck damn, don't do that!
>>
>>17604887
Man, this anonymous guy is active as hell
>>
>>17605117
That was beautiful anon. I am sorry your father left when you were young. *internet hugs*
>>
>>17605174
Listen you rock spider my dad is still with my mum and my mums more road than you.
The pair of them rock and roll like a Wallace collective drinking tea at a bacon joints block buster.
Do you know what a loosely produced pepper picker like you thinks for a chipped beef crumpet?
Absolutely fucking bollocking.
That's so French you could breathe sand on it and never brick a cat flap.
Where's the gap in that floor?
Nothing.
>>
>>17605095

Guys, I'm a Millennial, and love our kind. I also greatly respect the Gen Xers. He has a point that less people read, and it is shaping our society via edu and tech. The Gen Xers were closer to size of the Traditionalists, and why the latter paved the way for the Boomer's life of luxury the Gen Xers lived in the shadow of those Boomers. It is where all our good, edgy music comes from for our generation- the Gen Xer's pain and derision. They are our big bros and Sis's.

We outnumber the boomers as Millennials, and have a huge responsibility for those who were born during the internet/dvd/iWhatever times. Shit is speeding up now. People are becoming more shit at an extrapolated rate, and cannot even see it. No time for independent though.
>>
>>17604887
I wonder whatever happened to !DOCTOR
>>
>>17605249
I think the biggest problem is that we're suffering from a technology-induced ADD of sorts. I've noticed that all my younger siblings must constantly be playing on their phones or tablets, texting, etc. I'm guilty of doing it to some degree, but they will do it in the middle of conversations or family activities whenever I go to visit. I'm not saying technology is bad, I'm saying it's getting to the point where we're oversaturated with it. I admit I don't even pick up an actual printed book much, and I've been an avid reader for most of my life. I read more articles on the internet than books. Maybe if people set aside more time, to read for an hour or two at least once or twice a week, that would help.
>>
>>17605264

we are conditioned like pavlovs dog with all the lights and bleeps and feeds. instant gratification society. cooking takes time. traveling takes time. thinking...takes time. we have become endorphin junkies trained either by situation or design.
>>
>>17605264
>muh magical paper books

The writing you read on the internet is still writing.
>>
>>17605316
You're missing the entire point. The point is, taking some quiet time off to yourself to read a real, actual book is less distracting than text on a screen. If you're reading on the computer or even a tablet, there's likely to be more temptation to mess with your apps, message people, link hop, and so forth. So try a more intelligent argument next time instead of

>muh greentext interjections
>>
>>17605328
>I have no self-control, therefore nobody else has self-control

I take quiet time off to myself to read text on my computer. I'm sorry you don't seem to be able to do that. Have you tried Adderall?
>>
>>17605328
I read books on digital devices all the time, and have never had a problem with distraction while doing it. I just prefer using my tablet because it provides its own light, it's easier to handle than a physical book (I'm currently reading one real book that's a pain in the ass because they printed too close to the spine), and digital books don't take up shelf space when I'm done with them.
>>
>>17605316
>>17605342

Here, anon. Just for you, I went to my bookshelf, got a magazine I'd kept from 2008, did a search, and found a link to an article you really ought to read. You can read it on the convenience of whatever electronic device you're currently using to make your oh-so-witty greentexts. I do this in the hopes that an understanding will somehow be reached expand your silly little mind, but I don't expect miracles.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/306868/
>>
>>17605249
>first paragraph

I don't disagree. I've never went against that sentiment, besides claiming that the labels don't hold much sway beyond novelty or praise. I just hate the word "Millennial" with a fiery passion. Not the people, the word. I've claimed more that we aren't just blank slates of meat, so the story goes. We are individuals, more than a group. At least, that's how I feel, thanks to the influences of other individuals who were part of previous generations. My actions have consequences, and so does my inaction to have a position, or conviction of sorts. I will not give in to a stereotype.

My oldest sibling -is- a "Gen X". My mother, a "Boomer", raised by her grandmother. They are fine people. They taught me things, and I still learn as of today.

>we have a huge responsibility
>shit is speeding up now
Yes, and that's why the neuroses of "gosh darn those useless Millennial kids with their short attention spans and their ass-pats" needs to die out, quick. There is, an ungodly amount of time to be independent.

It is the basis, the culmination of most of the efforts anyone has put forth before us. We are all (mostly) different (where it counts). I'm not about to forfeit my voice or my identity for group-think or confabulation, or worse. You've seen what mobs do. You've seen what tumblr does.
>>
>>17605353
It could be that reading a book on Kindle or similar device is more convenient for some people. I've never had the money to try. But there's something nice about good old fashioned books too.
>>
File: 4chan.gif (2 MB, 400x253) Image search: [Google]
4chan.gif
2 MB, 400x253
Book about how the Internet is training brains to do shallow high-speed analysis of everything & equating having google at their fingertips with knowing everything. Main point: It takes "X" amount of time for the chemical reactions in the brain to write to permanent memory, non-stop all day surfing doesn't allow time for this to happen.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shallows-Internet-Doing-Brains/dp/0393339750

Problem: It's in book form with few pictures, and no hyperlinks. :(
>>
>>17605188
The
>I've just started smoking grass and listening to Aesop Rock
Starter Pack
>>
>>17605537
listen you Gordon Bennett I'll todger you in willy bonkers if you seriously head ponder that semi-British stereotype slang influenced nonsense is somehow related to the rapper Aesop Rock.
Nice signalling tho bro.
You've heard of a rapper.
You must be smart and cool.
>>
File: kanyejestinhisnest.jpg (96 KB, 555x770) Image search: [Google]
kanyejestinhisnest.jpg
96 KB, 555x770
>>17605053
i wouldn't want books autograph, would you?
>>
>>17605363
Thank you for the article recommendation. I read it on my computer. It was a giant crock of anecdata, unsurprisingly.

Go back to the other article in this thread about how millennials are retards who are destroying the fabric of timespace with their illiteracy. Read the comments. Note the multiple references to speed-reading. Then, explain why barely paying attention to a textbook in print is more respectable than barely paying attention to a textbook on the Internet.
>>
>>17605616
>>17605635
My girlfriend has a pussy that is long enough to touch the ground while walking.
>>
>>17605643
It would have to be, or else it would be floating.
>>
>>17604885
Literally nobody is any of these, this must've been made years ago
>>
>>17605568
>I'm only pretending to be retarded

Kill yourself, road man
>>
>>17605635
I'm sorry you failed at reading comprehension, anon. I thought you'd at least get something out of it. And if you value internet comments so highly, go back and read the ones on that article, there were a few actually intelligent discussions about the pros and cons of the topic.
>>
>>17605661
ha gay!
You are trying way too hard friendo.
>>
File: 1441412416997.jpg (25 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
1441412416997.jpg
25 KB, 323x454
>>17605662
I am neither of the anons within this supposed chain of replies, but...

What good does going out of one's way to educate someone (or be critical of someone and ask for a dialogue) really do... if you simply start slinging passive-aggressive insults afterwards?

That's like giving a dehydrated person a large cool cup of water with shards of glass in it.
>>
This is more accurate than OP

>>17598497
>>17598497
>>
>>17605687
It's more like I've set out a tray with several glasses of water, and put the glass shards in this particular anon's cup because he thinks I'm coming from a "book good, technology bad" angle and has a difficult time responding with anything other than greentext or condescension. That, and it's 4chan, so if someone is an asshole, no reason to give a fuck about their feelings either. The rest of you, however, are free to take the untainted cups of water for your benefit.
>>
>>17605081
holy kekkleberries batman

>>17605098
>>17605117
>>17605188
what the fuck is happening in this thread
also checked

>>17605537
please don't bring that facebook shit over here..
>>
>>17605709
I get it, 4chan and all that jazz. But... still.

You've set out a tray with several glasses of water, and you put the glass shards in that particular anon's cup. You... still put shards in the cup. And you're letting the mob mentality deter you from actually, maybe, convincing someone who might be playing difficult because they fear the threat of swallowing glass (which I'm sure a lot of people do here because fuck everyone they're butts and everything can burn).

Once I see that anon choking on jagged chips and blood, I'm more afraid of what my cup contains, despite what you might have told me; everything with a grain of salt, because OP is a faggot.
>>
>>17604885
I miss Mizar. He may have been a weird pervert wizard roleplayer, but at least he had a sense of fun
>>
>>17605758
Well, I'm sorry, anon, I'll give you a sieve and a purifier if you want. But sometimes when someone walks into your book club discussion with muddy shoes, spits on the floor, and mouths off when you complain, it's hard not to resist the temptation. I'm done now, though.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.