[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: historical mysteries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60
File: ad_175752041.jpg (101 KB, 1000x683) Image search: [Google]
ad_175752041.jpg
101 KB, 1000x683
ITT: historical mysteries
>>
>>17379306
Easter Island isn't a mystery. Those stone heads are monuments to dead rulers.
>>
>>17379306
Honestly, I'm partial to the Taman Shud case:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case
I'm really surprised that there's never been a movie about it. it has all the great hallmarks of an interesting story
>>
and by "historical mysteries" I meant shit that's larger than shit like Hinterkaifeck and the Dyatlov Pass incident, but if that's what this thread's gonna turn into then that's fine by me
>>
>>17379306
derinkuyu is pretty impressive
>>
File: 1455999776902.jpg (37 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1455999776902.jpg
37 KB, 400x600
>>17379330
Wow, you're a dick
>>
File: stonehengeentrance.png (9 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
stonehengeentrance.png
9 KB, 256x223
Is the Stonehenge still a mystery?
>>
>>17379398
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw
>>
>>17379306
What's the big deal? They're statues.
>>
File: Moon1.jpg (504 KB, 800x618) Image search: [Google]
Moon1.jpg
504 KB, 800x618
>>
>>17379330
Why are they so popular?
>>
File: 1406093258717.png (42 KB, 336x327) Image search: [Google]
1406093258717.png
42 KB, 336x327
>>17379398
Those fuckin' Cave Boys, man.
>>
>>17379318
>Easter Island isn't a mystery.

Ohhh I beg to differ.

We are told that they are less than 1,000 years old and that they were "buried" for some reason by the islands' cryptic inhabitants..

A far more plausible, recent explanation is that they're over 10,000 years old and the soil surrounding them is formed of naturally occurring silt.
>>
>>17379748
Wha? No they are stone monuments built by the locals to commemorate their ancestors. They were never buried. A volcanic eruption on the island covered them to their necks. Soil erosion from a lack of trees could have also played a part.
>>
>>17379521
see
>>17379748

>over 10,000 years old and the soil surrounding them is formed of naturally occurring silt.

If this were true it would rewrite our history books. The current theory is that we suddenly appeared 6,000 years ago with crops and civilisation began, so to know that people were around building giant statues 10,000+ years ago is mind-blowing to some.

People don't just suddenly decide "Lets build some massive statues from rock", the technique and knowledge to carve rock would have been learned over a few hundred years or passed on from a more advanced civilisation, either way, it's a big fuck off to uppity archaeologists and Egyptologists that deny new evidence because it breaks their paradigm.
>>
>>17379786
>The current theory is that we suddenly appeared 6,000 years ago with crops and civilisation began,
wut
>>
>>17379781
>They were never buried. A volcanic eruption on the island covered them to their necks.

I stand corrected, not sure why I said they were buried desu. Brainfart 1000
>>
>>17379790
Predynastic Egyptian cultures develop (5500–3100 B.C.); begin using agriculture (c. 5000 B.C.). Earliest known civilization arises in Sumer (4500–4000 B.C.). Earliest recorded date in Egyptian calendar (4241 B.C.). First year of Jewish calendar (3760 B.C.).
>>
>>17379790
>>17379812

The theories and dates all need to be rewritten. Gobekli Tepe proved that
>>
>>17379786
Nooo... No no and no. Humans didn't just pop up 6,000 years ago like magic. And it doesn't take hundreds of years to learn how to carve rock. Keep in mind we are talking about Polynesian culture. A culture unique because of their ability to spread across the Pacific. They were already good craftsmen.

>People don't just suddenly decide "Lets build some massive statues from rock"

You're right. They need to have purpose. And they did. And the people who made them enjoyed making them so much they destroyed their own environment. They were a symbol of power and status. A small scale version of what could potentially happen to humanity in the coming future.

>>17379812
Depends. Humans lived in the area around Egypt as early as 10,000 BCE. There is evidence of tribal communities with agriculture as early as 7,000 BCE.
>>
File: Puma-Punku-h-blocks.jpg (101 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Puma-Punku-h-blocks.jpg
101 KB, 600x338
>>17379812
that sounds like total horse shit. so we went from being hunter gatherers to pyramid builders in just 100 generations?

human civilization is a lot older than the common narrative portrays. humans have always been brilliant and ingenious.
>>
>>17379837
What the fuck do you think "just 100 generations" means, dipshit? We went from primarily agrarian to the information age in about 8-10 generations, you shit poodle. 10 generations from guns that weren't even rifled to goddamned computers talking to interplanetary vessels 15 billion goddamned kilometers out in space.

And you think it's fucking amazing to the point of impossible that in ten times that amount people might have learned how to STACK ROCKS ON ONE ANOTHER? You know why you think that? Because you are goddamned retarded, that's why. That's the scientific explanation, right there, all wrapped and bow tied for your dumb ass.
>>
>>17379837
Oh no not horse shit at all. Keep in mind that we went from invading the Gaul with swords to flying jets into Iraq in just as many years.
>>
How the fuck did Polynesians arrive at the easter island??

Let's put everything we have in a primitive boat and sail blindly through seemingly infinite waters until we arrive by chance at a tiny island off the coast of Chile? Then let's build a mysterious civilization there.
>>
>>17379812
Don't the Indians have a calendar that goes way far back?

And their history describes shit that sounds like nuclear weapons?
>>
>>17379867
Yep. That is completely it. And it isn't really mysterious, because we know what happened to their civillization and why.

>>17379879
Nope. Sorry.
>>
>>17379837
This is partly true, but not humans in the sense of homo sapiens. We're just shitholes genetically engineered by our superiors to overwhelm and eventually defeat the neanderthals (who were genetically superior to both us and our creators-- neanderthals were raised in difficult circumstances and required an intelligence that those of warmer climates had no need of).

Unfortunately for our creators, we raped a whole lot of neanderthal women on the way and our successors gained an intelligence that was never intended. They still control us from the upper echelon (why do you think the USA has been Bush and Clinton for so long), but it takes more finesse than their ancestors had expected. NWO is an attempt to pare us down and make us easier to control.
>>
>>17379889
It's also not mysterious because, "Let's work to survive and maybe improve our quality of life a little," isn't that big a fucking mystery!
>>
>>17379732

I too have played the game
>>
File: knifeyspooney.gif (843 KB, 428x241) Image search: [Google]
knifeyspooney.gif
843 KB, 428x241
>>17379921
>>
>>17379889
Never mind the mysterious part. Why would they go on a possibly suicidal journey through the Pacific Ocean without knowing what they would find, if anything?
>>
File: 381.jpg (129 KB, 640x445) Image search: [Google]
381.jpg
129 KB, 640x445
>>
>>17379967
what?
>>
>>17379960
God but I hate wasting my time even explaining shit this easy to speculate regarding or on, you know, people, at all, but here we go, my charitable act for 2016.

Possible Reasons people take a CRAZY BOAT RIDE:

Reason 1: They weren't trying to. Getting lost at sea, even from simple shore to shore jaunts, happens all the goddamned time, even today. Maybe they were just trying for a quick colonization up shore a bit and got hauled out by a strong tide or storm. Not an unprecedented event.
2: Maybe their stupid ass gods told them to. Again, we see this moronic bullshit happening even today, some trusted "wise" man points in a particular direct and says, "we're headed that a way!" Chances are they ate him first and the survivors that managed to find Easter Island were shocked and amazed to be alive.
3. Perhaps an adventurous soul discovered it. They might not have launched blind at all, but someone could have for any number of reasons found where it was and successfully renavigated to it.
4. Little choice in the matter. Perhaps political exiles, perhaps the losing end of a war, it was either cast themselves adrift or be murdered.

And the list goes on and on. I mean, c'mon.
>>
>>17379967
The statue is touching its dick. Hehe
>>
File: Puma-Punku-doorway-16.jpg (134 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Puma-Punku-doorway-16.jpg
134 KB, 640x480
Puma Punku has always been interesting to me. I am a machinist and can appreciate the craftsmanship that is on display. It does make you wonder.
>>
>>17380035
It isn't a mystery though sadly.
>>
>>17380035
Holy shit how did they predict what the geographic shape of Arkansas was gonna be?
>>
>>17380045
That's fine. I am not arguing with you.
>>
The Great Pyramids. No valid explanation to this day
>>
>>17381502
alienz n shiet
>>
>>17379306
This has always been of interest to me.
>>
>>17381747
A meteor shower depicted badly, relative to modern techniques.
>>
>>17379398
I'm really surprised that the Romans or Cromwell didn't tear them down for being a place of worship to false gods.
>>
>>17379323
>it has all the great hallmarks of an interesting story
Except a satisfying conclusion. That's probably why.

Here's another similar mystery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isdal_Woman
>>
>>17379306
We know more about our future than our past
>>
>>17379342
For wanting new and refreshing content for some of the only good /x/ threads left?
>>
>>17381502
>No valid explanation to this day

I take it you don't read much
>>
>>17381502
But there are.
>>
>>17379975
I'm kind of starting to like this guy
>>
>>17379306
Why I didn't eat my dick.
>>
File: great-pyramids-of-egypt-home.jpg (59 KB, 730x320) Image search: [Google]
great-pyramids-of-egypt-home.jpg
59 KB, 730x320
Pyramids are obligatory.

>Not even modern science can explain how they were built.
>They have been built across the world by multiple civilizations that had no contact with each other.
Most likely aliens. Maybe one day they will return.
>>
>>17381991

Who the fuck even came up with that? It's not difficult. It just takes some autistic dedication.
>>
Because there's a lot of retarded information in this thread I'll post some actual evolutionary timeline shit for humans.

Fire was harnessed a few hundred thousand years ago, art like cave paintings date back around 40 thousand years.
Agriculture and ranching date back around 10000 years. Writing was 3 or 4 thousand if I remember correctly. What's not really known is why it took so long to go from fire to anything else, since even at that time the defining human traits like a developed frontal cortex were developed. This could simple be explained by harsher living conditions limiting the time people had to come up with these discoveries, or it could be the fractured tribal system making it so even when a particular person found out you could do these things it never caught on due to distances and just died out

Second one is plausible, since even in modern times we have examples of monumental discoveries going unnoticed for a while. A well known one being Mendel's genetics paper being essentially ignored for decades. Had Darwin read it when it was sent to him it would have tied together evolution and genetics decades earlier
>>
File: gobeklitepe.jpg (229 KB, 990x742) Image search: [Google]
gobeklitepe.jpg
229 KB, 990x742
>>
File: egypt_sphinx-pyramids.jpg (39 KB, 470x330) Image search: [Google]
egypt_sphinx-pyramids.jpg
39 KB, 470x330
>>17381991

Around 450 BC the Greek historian Herodotus visited Egypt and asked the locals how they built the pyramids. They told him with ramps.

Herodotus is the closest thing we have to a trained historian making an attempt to record how it was done by an outsider at a date nearer to the pyramids' building time than any other historian. I think we have to give his report some credence, he was right there talking to the locals in 450BC!

http://www.unmuseum.org/kpyramid.htm

tl:Dr Ramps, humans used ramps.
>>
>>17382016

Yes, and for a civilization to appear outta fuckin nowhere with all of the manpower, mathematical knowledge, megalith building skill/experience, and a reason to build them. Oh, btw, after this civilization appeared out of nowhere, accomplished their most impressive feat as their first major construction project, they started getting worse and worse at it.

So they came out of nowhere, emerged at the peak of their abilities, created a structure(s) unrivalled for thousands of years, and then immediately started spiralling into obscurity and getting worse at building smaller pyramids.

Also they worshipped cats and believed in people with animal heads.... it's almost like we're being led to believe that our ancestors were retards who just fluked a FUCKING GREAT PYRAMID
>>
>>17379786
what about egypt? its becoming an established fact that the erosion on the pyramids is water erosion, and it hasn't rained in egypt in like 20k+ years. They tell us they know what happened, but there are atleast 2 sides to every historic occurrence in history man. Think of how much u know about native american culture, and how little of that is actually writen by any native americans. We could have come to this point before an ice age.
you watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcjAdiCbtA4
>>
>>17382101
You know why all that happened?

Autism. Literally autism.

>savant dreams it all up in his mind
>is able to realize it with the available resources
>savant is is kill or loses interest
>people try to emulate
>but they lack the autism

You see this shit all over history, even modern.

The pyramids just happen to be of such a large physical scale and for no reasonable purpose that they stand out more.
>>
>>17381789
False god? Kill yourself, prophet of lies.
>>
>>17382078

Obviously they used ramps. The thing that goes over you people's heads is that it's not (just) incredible that they could raise the multi-ton bricks.

No

No

The impressive thing is that it is INCREDIBLY difficult to maintain the dimensions of a pyramid so accurately in such a large structure. So much as a singe degree worth of difference in any of the corners and you would have a cork-screw look by the time you reached the top. But there isn't, it's a perfect line, and before all the marble was stripped it would have been even more evident.

And after thousands of years of the ground settling and rock settling, the pyramid isn't shifted to any side or at all mis-shaped. It was set up and built damn-near perfectly

As the first act of a civilization, apparently. They appeared, did nothing too incredible, then built the great pyramid (not the smaller ones, the biggest one is the oldest...somehow). Instead of some slow and steady increase, they went from 0-1-2-100, then suddenly declined into shittier and shittier structures
>>
>>17382078
Ramps were probably internal, they actually already found remains of them within outer walls. Egyptians were a bunch of some clever fucks.
>>
>>17382113

Can I take a wild guess, try not to take it personal: Are you liberal? Or generally left-leaning?
>>
>>17382129
How is that related?

And are you denying that a single brilliant mind can slingshot humanity forward?
>>
>>17382124
You know what buildings are even more mind-boggling? Roman aqueducts. Level of precision they are build with is simply insane yet i'm yet to see someone who would insist that aliens build them.
>>
>>17382101
>So they came out of nowhere
This statement is a bad one. They didn't "come out of nowhere."

>>17382101
>emerged at the peak of their abilities
Why do you even say this? This is weasel word language, trying to build up your own interpretation without evidence.

accomplished their most impressive feat as their first major construction project
No.
>>17382101
>then immediately started spiralling into obscurity
No.

The Gaza Pyramids were built after over 1,000 years of cultural ramping up in the pre and early Dynastic periods. The Pyramid at Djoser predates the pyramids at Giza by almost a century. The society didn't then just peter out, it stuck around a couple more thousand years.

So no, no one's being led to believe anything like what you claim, except maybe by you, if they don't do some cursory research.
>>
>>17382111
graham hancock my man! Guys we totes rose to this point in civilization before, this rocks been floating here for 4 billion years.
>>
>>17382144
Ikr! I'm sick of idiots saying that people are incapable of such feats. WE'RE GOD DAMN HUMANS AND WE FUCKIN ROCK! HAVE SOME SPECIES PRIDE FOR GODS SAKE.
>>
>>17381991
>>They have been built across the world by multiple civilizations that had no contact with each other.

Because it's sort of the best way to stack rocks.
>>
>>17382070
This shit is pretty fascinating. It's age alone makes it just mind boggling. When pyramids were built this thing was already older than pyramids are now. And we know basically nothing about people who made it and why it was buried.
>>
>>17382145
for my own sanity, i refuse to believe that guy isn't a troll.

not a single accurate fact to be found in his post.
>>
>>17382183
lol, you sir are the troll, that dudes right on, Dont listen to this faggot
>>
>>17382144
>yet i'm yet to see someone who would insist that aliens build them
Be ready to have your faith in humanity shattered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E___WNWIca4
>>
>>17382168
pyramids in other regions aren't exactly the same, maybe do some research bud, and i disagree, rock stacking, IMO is better when stacked circularly.
>>
>>17382198
And stacks made of regular rocks were circular. But when you are cutting them into blocks you are going to end up with a pyramid.
>>
>>17379318
> because some dude on TV said so
> oh look I'm so edgy and so anti-religious
> why would people just blindly believe in whatever some dude or some book tells them when you can literally listen to another dude and another book and blindly believe in those instead!
>>
>>17382214
>oh look I'm so edgy and so anti-religious
What in the name of all that is holy are you fucking talking about? Are you implying that the heads were build by angels or something?
>>
File: NAMA_Machine_d'Anticythère_1.jpg (123 KB, 672x599) Image search: [Google]
NAMA_Machine_d'Anticythère_1.jpg
123 KB, 672x599
i don't know if this qualifies as a mystery but i've always liked this one, especially if we're talking about advanced ancient technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

>The Antikythera mechanism is an ancient analog computer designed to predict astronomical positions and eclipses for calendrical and astrological purposes, as well as the Olympiads, the cycles of the ancient Olympic Games

>The artifact was recovered in 1900–1901 from the Antikythera shipwreck off the Greek island of Antikythera. Believed to have been designed and constructed by Greek scientists, the instrument has been dated either between 150 and 100 BC, or, according to a more recent view, at 205 BC.

>the knowledge of this technology was lost at some point in Antiquity

>the quality and complexity of the mechanism's manufacture suggests it has undiscovered predecessors made during the Hellenistic period

>The mechanism is remarkable for the level of miniaturisation and the complexity of its parts, which is comparable to that of fourteenth-century astronomical clocks.

so basically, the greeks came up with something pretty advanced somewhere around 100-200 BC. we can't find it's technological predecessors that would show us how they developed it and then the technology was eventually lost and not replicated until the 1300s.

i say that if there's any human invention that you want to attribute to aliens, this is better than the pyramids because we haven't found evidence of the technological progress that led to this invention. not that i believe it myself. i just think it's kind of cool to see how far human beings can go even with limited knowledge and resources.
>>
>>17382137

Answer the question

And yes, I am denying that. Because a single brilliant mind would need way more than an idea to get the pyramids built, or to even have construction beginning. And you, for some reason, assume this brilliant mind happened to be in power at the time, and decided to build a giant fucking pyramid for no reason.

Now, Are you liberal? Or generally left-leaning?

>>17382144
Built with concrete

You people are fucking infuriating, I never said anything about aliens. You'd like to dismiss people who don't agree with you as somehow being stupid or crazy. I never implied anything to do with aliens, magic, or anything supernatural

I'm questioning the timeline of the pyramid construction

Yes, aqueducts are a good comparison. Amazing feat, an amazing feat done 1000+ of years later with acknowledged technical sophistication. We look at those and marvel at the Romans, we look at the pyramids and think they were retarded cat-worshipper with bronze tools and an autistic leader-god telling them devote their entire labour force over decades to build a giant pyramid for no good fucking reason.

I'm dismissing that idea, not introducing the idea of aliums.
>>
>>17382246
To be fair if it was made by aliens it would show orbits of more planets that were known in the antiquity. It's pretty damn sad that the shit that was transporting it has sunk. Maybe if didn't disappear its creator would got some recognition and continued his work? Who knows how things could work out differently.
>>
>>17382145

According to who? Egyptology?

> trying to build up your own interpretation without evidence.

Literally the entire field of Egyptology. And you learned it in school, and you are so stuck in that mindset that anything else seems idiotic or insane to you. YOUR viewpoint is idiotic and insane

>Be anatomically modern for 100,000+ years
>We do nothing but hunt and play with our dicks
>5000 years ago we decide to stop playing with our dicks and build a structure unrivalled in scale and sophistication for thousands of years
>Suddenly we space age now

You're discounting 95,000 years of human history, because your school teachers and society have taught you that your ancestors were a bunch of cat-worshipping retards, with backwards beliefs and dictated by a god-king.

I'm saying, no, humans have a much more interesting and non-retarded history than this, it's just been largely forgotten
>>
>>17382251
Newton, as a single mind, revolutionized math and physics to a degree that is staggering. From calculus to modern ideas of fluid dynamics, his signature literally scrawls all over it. A single great mind can slingshot humanity forward. So you've just DENIED REALITY, SIR.

As for your bizarre splerg down about when the pyramids were built, aliens or no aliens your timeline for the ancient Egyptians is all fucked up, as is your ideas about humans moving big things.

Read this. Read ALL OF IT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_monoliths_in_the_world

Human culture with pre-industrial technology picks up, moves and stacks giant rocks all the time, all over the world. There is no reason to believe the timeline is screwed on Giza, or at least no reason in your offerings.
>>
>>17382251
>build a giant pyramid for no good fucking reason
They actually had a really good reason to build those. Public works are a great way to keep populace employed for the whole year, not just few months when they are working the fields. And a busy populace is a happy populace.
>>
>>17382251
>Seeing the Ancient Egyptians as cat-lovers
>Disregarding such an interesting culture as "autists"
>Thinking bronze can't be used as a tool

Nigga, just shut up
>>
>>17382267
For those 95k years we had way more important things to do than building civilisation. Like trying to survive. You don't necessarily create a civilisation just because you are a homo sapiens. Just look at aboriginals, they don't differ from other people in any meaningful way yet their cultural accomplishments are basically non-existent.
>>
>>17382271
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_monoliths_in_the_world
>four biggest ones were never finished
Some things never change, don't they?
>>
>>17382229
No, I'm implying that the things you say with absolute and definite certainty have just as much basis and proof as 'angels or something', yet you (and every other 'scientific approach retard') feel like you are on a completely different level from them.

It's just like watching leftist and rightists argue when you're one of the 1% libertarians.

Remember space ether bro? That's the type of shameful display when you devote yourself to arrogance known as 'scientific approach'.
>>
>>17382297
>That's the type of shameful display when you devote yourself to arrogance known as 'scientific approach'.
Yet it's the scientific approach that proved that aether doesn't exist even if it was believed to be real since antiquity.
>>
>>17382294
If you cross reference the two lists, the third largest is actually the Thunderstone, which they did get to where it was going! Unless, I mean, if you're counting all three blocks of the Stele as separate and distinct, which I guess is fair except that the incompletion of the Stele was kinda preordained by physics!
>>
>>17382251
Why are you trying to bring your political crap into this?
>>
>>17382315

ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION
>>
>>17379895
This
>>
>>17382318
Chill out you fucking spaz.
>>
>>17382297
Ohhh ho ho, a "moderate!" That explains a lot.
>>
>>17382271
>>17382272
>>17382273

It keeps saying my post is spam, and to reformat, and I can't be pissed because I've tried 3 times

So I'll just at least say your arguments are stupid, and you are stupid people for even positing them

>>17382318

Answer. Are you leftists? I'm not going to attack you on it, I want to know for my own reasons. I'm 99% sure you are
>>
>>17382304
The ability to actually test the theory (and see that it was wrong) is what disproved space aether. Scientific approach was the reason that theory existed in the first place.

Logic and reason is 'the truth is absolute, something can be considered explained when the explanations denies any other possible explanations'. If you CAN explain some 'strange thing' with 'things that don't go beyond our current level of understanding' - it doesn't mean that this is THE explanation, yet the 'scientific approach' always insists that if there's like 10 possible explanations, only 1 of which doesn't have any unknown and uncertain variables (in other words, 1 that is fully based on _current_ knowledge), 'scientific approach' tells us to accept that one as the truth, just because fuck you all, we humans rock.

Guess what: we suck. And the history has always proven that. If the humanity has stopped its arrogance and finally tried to move the science with the premise 'holy fuck we are so fucking stupid and our understanding is literally that of an ant', we'd be rocking wormhole generators and space colonies by now.

But who needs that? Instead of actually, you know, trying to learn about the universe, we can always think of some 'it fits' theory that would 'explain' everything.

Fuck you. Go to hell. You are everything that's wrong with humanity. You are literally no different from religious tards.
>>
File: 1417203194871.gif (4 MB, 344x203) Image search: [Google]
1417203194871.gif
4 MB, 344x203
>>17382326
>It keeps saying my post is spam
>>
>>17382329

Fedorafags. I can smell your fucking neckbeard from here

>>17382331

idk how to fix it. Unlike you I'm not spending most of my time on a board about paranormal shit, since I'm not fucking 13

>spoopy threads and creepy pasta
>Posted and read by adults

Fukin losers.
>>
>>17382346
>from here
Your parents' basement? That's some nice ventilation you have there.
>>
File: ye mane.png (39 KB, 114x142) Image search: [Google]
ye mane.png
39 KB, 114x142
>>17382318
you first
>>
>>17382329
So what you are trying to tell me is that we should accept all possible theories even if they don't fit at all with what we already know? So pyramids were built by aliens, atlanteans, ghosts, time travelers, angels and elves at once because there is no way to prove that they weren't? I sure hope you are just trolling because i sincerely fear for your sanity if you are not.
>>
>>17382329
Pretty much all of this is false. The ability to test an idea is a listed part of the scientific method. I've encountered you before, though, because i've encountered this exact same argument before, that somehow a hypothesis is "science" and disproving it "isn't." And I find it hard to believe there are two people around here pitching something that stupid.

As for your little "I hate humanity, i hate you, I hate facts, WAAAAH," foolishness, whether you're trolling or just mentally unhinged, acting like that is simply fucking awful. If being a huge baby is really all you have to contribute then go away.
>>
File: 1417134815452.jpg (20 KB, 312x320) Image search: [Google]
1417134815452.jpg
20 KB, 312x320
>>17382346
>>
>>17382353
I explained everything in another thread already:
>>17377586

Long story short, here's how it works:
1. You have a question/problem
2. You have several possible explanations
3. There are some easy ones, some harder ones
4. You have no immediate way to check
5. Regardless of what reason, experience and statistics tell you, if the '4.' is there, you just can't go with naming ANY of the theories as 'the truth', because you MIGHT be mistaken. And leaving things to chance is not science, it's like liberals' infographs. Maths is science. Maths is cold, hard and uncompromising.

We can actually say that '1 hydrogen atom and 2 oxygen atoms compose an H2O water molecule', because we can actually check that and see that it's the way it is.

We can say that 'species X and species Y have a common DNA part'.

However, we can't say that 'the Earths inner structure is this and that'. We should rather say 'according to our current knowledge, the Earth's inner structure should look like this. But keep in mind guys that we were certain that waves can't travel in vacuum and therefore were sure that there was some spoopy substance in space - literally just a century ago'.

If you have a crime and you can explain it with some person X being the culprit, you don't go putting that person into the chair.

You actually have to DEFINITELY prove that it was ONLY possible for that person to commit the crime. And then comes the chair. Same with science, truth and explanations. Unless you can provide a definite proof of something, the question should remain open.
>>
>>17379837
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>17382356
You don't even see that you contradict yourself, don't you?
> hypothesis is enough
> I hate facts, WAAAAH
Okay bro, whatever you say. Hope your PHD in logical fallacies is going smooth :^)
>>
>>17382356
>The ability to test an idea is a listed part of the scientific method.
Also, see
> we were certain that waves can't travel in vacuum and therefore were sure that there was some spoopy substance in space - literally just a century ago
(obviously, if you're too busy looking in the mirror and feeling awesome about how great you, human, are, please don't be distracted from that important scientific experiment)
>>
>>17382368
>Unless you can provide a definite proof of something, the question should remain open.
That's literally how science works you dipshit. You are just assblasted that no one takes pyramids being 100k old as a valid possibility. Guess what, retard. There is no real leads that would suggest that they were. But no, you always need to "leave the question open". Who knows, maybe a guy who was caught on camera killing a dude and had his blood on him while being apprehended was actually innocent. Maybe he was being mind controlled by aliens from Saturn. Or it's all an elaborate conspiracy by NWO. Or he is a victim of a shape-shifter. You can't be sure!
>>
>>17381991
a pyramidal shape was the easiest and most effective way to create a megastructure. they would never have been able to accomplish a cube or sphere shape that large with the tools they had. it's impressive, but not impossible
>>
>>17379852
Anon pls settle down. You'll wake the kids
>>
>>17382398
>all these strawmans and ad hominems
Yep, keep 'em coming. That's a lot better than actual points to a truly scientific mind!
>>
>>17382414
I can't give you counter-arguments if you don't give real arguments first, you dumb faggot.
>>
>>17382379
I never said any of the things you're accusing me of. You're just here to scream arbitrarily at people.
>>
>>17381818
>Except a satisfying conclusion.

That's why it's a mystery....

>Here's another similar mystery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isdal_Woman

Thanks, that looks interesting! Much appreciated, anon
>>
>>17381914
That's not how you get it, turd
>>
>>17382476
>Posting content different to the content usually posted is not how you get new and refreshing content
>>
This thread is not about mysteries, it's about political shit and anthropology shit. "new and refreshing content for /x/" my arsehole.
>>
>>17382470
You will probably enjoy lead mask case and YOGTZE as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YOGTZE_case
>>
>>17381991
>>Not even modern science can explain how they were built.
>Most likely aliens. Maybe one day they will return.

God you are a fucking moron. Fuck neo-/x/.
>>
>>17382491
sounding like an ungrateful jackass is not a way to get people to post new content, is what he probably meant.
>>
>>17382492
At this point it's probably better to make a thread on /his/. /x/ is no longer capable of intelligent discussion it would seem. Fucking disgusting. This board used to be fun.

>>17382516
And yet he didn't sound like an ungrateful jackass. Reading comprehension.
>>
>>17379837
>HHHHHH
>>
>>17382521
/his/ would just start to whine about whatever or not ancient egiptians were black.
>>
>>17382531
Ignore and report
>>
>>17379852
I fully identify your rage. People underestimate man because they themselves are retarded not realizing they are under the mean
>>
You guys need to calm down. There are different opinions of who, how and why they built even with the people who is doing actual research and archeology in Egypt. Everyone of you here is just stating a theory which you seem fit. There are possibility of being all of you wrong.
>>
>>17379306

Are we saying these things are mysteries simply because you don't know enough about them?
>>
>>17382521
You would be laughed at even more on /his/.
>>
>>17382124
>muh "straight lines in ancient architecture is impossible" meme

what the fuck is:
>using a rope to make a straight line between two points
>using the water level in a reservoir to mark the lines of a foundation so it's level
>>
>>17379879
>>17379889

Indian epics do describe weapons that sound like nukes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmastra

Oppenheimer himself apparently thought so.

>Well — yes. In modern times, of course.

>Answer to a student at Rochester University who asked whether the bomb exploded at Alamogordo was the first one to be detonated, as quoted in Doomsday, 1999 A.D. (1982) by Charles Berlitz, p. 129

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_Oppenheimer
>>
>>17382402
says a fat useless fucktard from his computer that never worked in his miserable life
>>
>>17382664
It seems like you're projecting. Nothing in his post indicates the truth of the kneejerk memes you just spouted at him.
>>
>>17382664
What are you even talking about?
>>
>>17382124
>So much as a singe degree worth of difference in any of the corners and you would have a cork-screw look by the time you reached the top.
what makes you say that? i'm pretty sure that any imperfections could be fixed later on just by adjusting the levels of rocks placed on top of the flawed rock.
>>
>>17381789
You should had payed attention in history class
>>
File: Jags_fan.jpg (56 KB, 344x505) Image search: [Google]
Jags_fan.jpg
56 KB, 344x505
>>17382070
>Gobekli Tepe was built by nomadic hunter gatherers
>t. mainstream archaeologists

Could someone please explain to me how the fuck that makes sense?
>>
>>17382346
Throws insults out while partaking in the /x/ thread.
>Claims to not participate.
>while posting
>on a board of 13 year olds
>>
>>17382271
>THink newton revolutioinized math.
All of it was in the Quaran centuries ago. Praise Allah.
>>
>>17382284
>For those 95k years we had way more important things to do than building civilisation. Like trying to survive

So what changed 7k years ago in Sumer, Indus Valley and Egypt? People had never found a river before?
>>
>>17382124
They didn't come out of nowhere and the Great Pyramids at Giza sure as hell weren't their first contruction project. The Egyptians had built hundreds of smaller pyramids before they decided to scale things up a bit, so they had a shit ton of practice to get the technique down perfectly.

Educate yourself before you start proclaiming everything we know is a lie.
>>
>>17382326
Are you sure it isn't saying your post is stupid as fuck?
>>
>>17382101
Fallen angels directed them
>>
Can the anti-science mongoloids in this thread please kill yourselves? I don't want to run the risk of you reproducing and polluting the gene pool, regardless of how miniscule it is.
>>
>>17382791

Archaeology and history are not sciences.
>>
>>17382905
Both are sciences.
>>
File: 1443471964639.jpg (29 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1443471964639.jpg
29 KB, 500x373
>>17380045
>>
File: Picard facepalm.jpg (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Picard facepalm.jpg
35 KB, 600x600
>>17379306
>historical mysteries
>posts pic of moai

Sure bud
>>
>>17379398
Not for the last ~100 years or so.
>>
>>17381789
Well they didn't need to. They were already collapsed and buried by Roman times, and they weren't excavated and reconstructed until the last century or two.
>>
File: gf.gif (29 KB, 434x332) Image search: [Google]
gf.gif
29 KB, 434x332
how is babby formed
>>
>>17379825
I love how people treat Gobekli Tepe like it's this huge thing that completely upsets the established chronology and scientists are just conveniently ignoring it when Gobekli Tepe is one of the first things you learn about in a university-level ancient history course.
>>
File: u right now.jpg (97 KB, 811x680) Image search: [Google]
u right now.jpg
97 KB, 811x680
>>17382326

Stupid
Madbutt

SPAM
>>
>>17383053
>Gobekli Tepe is one of the first things you learn about in a university-level ancient history course.

And what do they teach about it?
>>
>>17382685
Hunter-Gatherers who lived in a fixed area for most of the year and used the Gobekli Tepe as a religious site and/or a place to live around. Considering that back then the area around the structure was pretty densely populated with animals, trees, n' shit the humans could have sustained a rather large population.

But we don't really know. That's just a theory.
>>
>>17379867
It doesn't sound very well planned out because it wasn't. They ate everything on the island that was edible, chopped down and used as construction material everything that wasn't, and then they starved to death.
>>
>>17381919
>I take it you don't read much

*ever
>>
>>17382046
>art like cave paintings date back around 40 thousand years.
Engraved chunks of ochre found in Blombos Cave date back to 100K+ BP
>>
File: Pre-Giza pyramids.png (2 MB, 1344x972) Image search: [Google]
Pre-Giza pyramids.png
2 MB, 1344x972
>>17382101
>So they came out of nowhere, emerged at the peak of their abilities, created a structure(s) unrivalled for thousands of years
>>17382124
>As the first act of a civilization, apparently. They appeared, did nothing too incredible, then built the great pyramid (not the smaller ones, the biggest one is the oldest...somehow).
This pisses me off so much. Here's a picture of all six (known!) pyramids that predate the pyramid of Khufu at Giza, in chronological order. See how they get progressively less shitty as time goes on? That last one, the Red Pyramid of Sneferu, is very clearly where they perfected the formula.
>>
File: Low quality b8 m8.png (181 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Low quality b8 m8.png
181 KB, 600x600
>>17382114
At least try, come on man. You're somehow managing to give shitposters a worse name than they already have.
>>
>>17383275

How do we know these predate the Great Pyramid?
>>
>>17382129
I have no idea what either of those terms mean, so I'm going to say no.
>>
>>17379330
>Hinterkaifeck
This isn't a mystery. Who did it is, but if every unsolved murder doesn't equal proof of 'Squatch.

There aren't a lot of large scale historical mysteries that have scurie or spuppy explanations. The Amazon used to be home to larger than expected human civilizations. Now they aren't. Who knows why. But the theories aren't exactly aliens. More along the lines of disease and instability.

Why was there a "Dancing Plague" in Germany in the 1500s? Who was Jack the Ripper? What was the Wow! Signal? Why did the Mary Celeste not have a crew? There are mysteries we don't know the answer to.

Who weeerrr The Sea People? Why did every city in the Bronze Age get fucked around the same time? There are events we don't know the answer to but it was something not unusual. We just can't prove anything.
>>
File: ten out of ten.gif (2 MB, 500x292) Image search: [Google]
ten out of ten.gif
2 MB, 500x292
>>17382145
>The Gaza Pyramids
I'm sorry, the rest of your statements are accurate, I just found that typo (I assume) hilarious.
>>
File: Get in the trash.png (193 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Get in the trash.png
193 KB, 800x600
>>17382189
And that's all I have to say about that.
>>
>>17382259
I feel like if the Antikythera Device hadn't been lost, human civilization might well have developed along an entirely different path.
>>
>>17382267
>Doesn't know about Gobekli Tepe
>Doesn't know about Blombos Cave
>Doesn't know about Dinaledi Chamber

Come on, Anon, this is basic shit. I learned this stuff in first-year university courses.
>>
>>17382326
>It keeps saying my post is spam
Maybe - here's a controversial idea - maybe it /is/.
>>
>>17382297
>Remember space ether bro?
Space ether, space ether... Oh, isn't that the undetectable material that fills the void of space? Gee, that sounds familiar.
>*cough*
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
>*cough*
>>
>>17379967
Fake and gay
>>
>>17382329
>The ability to actually test the theory (and see that it was wrong) is what disproved space aether.
>Scientific approach was the reason that theory existed in the first place.
What exactly do you think the scientific method is?
>>
>>17383334
There wasn't just one device, there were likely many similar pieces of advanced clockwork. We know there were books on the subject because we have Christian books that denounce them as demonic.

Apparently largely in part due to the fact that mechanical gimmicks were popular as attractions for pagan temples. Not just building stuff like the Antithykera mechanism that could help keep track of cycles of time but also stuff like statues that could make noise, temple doors that could open by themselves, and clockwork automatons similar to what would later be produced for the entertainment of royalty like this clockwork swan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXzvWzf6_3k
>>
File: IMBLYIGN.png (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
IMBLYIGN.png
48 KB, 500x500
>>17382521
>implying any board on 4chan was ever capable of intelligent discussion
>>
>>17382532
Reportedly ignorant
>>
>>17383069
That it's one of the earliest known permanent structures in the world, that it's some of the earliest evidence of the shift from nomadic hunter-gatherer societies to fixed, 'conventional' civilization, etcetera. I'm not going to reiterate a week's worth of lectures on 4chan to an anon who, odds are, wouldn't even believe they'd existed if they'd attended them personally.
>>
>>17383534
Where'd you go to school?
>>
>>17383288
They're historically attested.
>inb4 everyone but you is a liar
We can also carbon date the charcoal used to prepare the mortar used in building the things.
Fun fact: the carbon dates used today were from a project funded by the Edgar Cayce foundation in 1984, which attempted to prove Cayce's assertion that the Pyramids were ~10,500 years old. Needless to say, the project actually proved him wrong.
>>
>>17383441
Gak and fae.
>>
>>17383482
>We know there were books on the subject because we have Christian books that denounce them as demonic.
Source? I'm not trying to be a dick, that sounds genuinely interesting.

Additionally, if clockwork really was that widespread in the Hellenistic period, I'm curious why the only piece to have survived did so after spending three millennia at the bottom of the Aegean Sea.
>>
>>17382368
>We can actually say that '1 hydrogen atom and 2 oxygen atoms compose an H2O water molecule'
I was about to ask if it was even possible to see a molecule, but I googled and apparently we have pictures.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/157048-the-first-ever-images-of-a-molecule-as-it-makes-and-breaks-atomic-bonds
>>
>>17379852
Woah, woah. There's no need to be upset.
>>
>>17383543
Eastern Canada.
>>
>>17383440
Dude that was an entirely coincidental lucky guess. They were right, but there is absolutely no way they had any idea about what was in space. It's just not possible to figure that out from Earth, especially with the technology they had at the time.
>>
>>17379748
>and that they were "buried" for some reason by the islands' cryptic inhabitants..

The people who built them lived on an island in the middle of an ocean. I'm sure they were well aware of the significant weathering effects of the wind and rain.

They were probably buried for preservative purposes. It's not unheard of for cultures in decline to do that.
>>
>>17383585
I'm trying to think of which church father it was whose book we have denouncing them as demonic but I'm drawing a blank. Probably something really interesting to look into though if you're interested.

It wasn't unique, but they weren't as widespread as you might be imagining. They were limited to novelties owned by the upper class, or temples. They wouldn't all have been made as one-offs, but they weren't mass produced. So a workshop might have made half a dozen copies so they could get the kinks out. The average person probably never would have even seen one or known how it worked which probably aided in them being dismissed as demonic magic.

As for why none of them survived outside of the one example from a shipwreck They were demonic artifacts that would have been destroyed by the same religious groups that burned the books about how to make them, maybe at some point we'll find one in good quality buried in the desert like we have other things that the early church hated. Though that's a bit doubtful since they were made from valuable materials that probably were just looted.
>>
>>17379398
Yes, because although the mathematics may be understood now, no-one really knows what happened there. I sometimes get visions when I visit places, and at Stonehenge I saw the power of the land and the 'heavens' focused on people who were undergoing initiations. Probably lots more to it than this, just one little glimpse.
>>
>>17382304
I used aether to start my car one time.
>>
>>17379852
Soupy's on form tonight. More power to you, sir.
>>
>>17379975
>Cmon
>No source, no credibility, all speculations.

Cmon
>>
>>17379786
There were civilizations 14000 years ago
>>
File: image_11.jpg (368 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
image_11.jpg
368 KB, 3000x3000
>>17379525
>>
Mfw this thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 680x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 680x1000
>>17384315
Forgot pic
>>
>>17382046
Hey. Way to believe the stupidest theory ever conceived. Dumbfuck
>>
>>17382739
answer this question, niggers
>>
>>17381502
Whips Rimmer. Massive whips.
>>
>>17382046
Mendel's research on genetics was ignored because he stipulated in his will that all his research be destroyed. He was a monk and believed that only God was worthy of knowing about these genetic building blocks he'd discovered. We only know he existed at all because they missed some materials. and he most certainly did NOT, by the way, send a copy to Darwin; the two were completely unaware of each others' existence.
>>
>>17379398
lol they used old rocks
>>
>>17383044
benis in vagoo :DDDDD
>>
>>17382326

Libertarians are autistic
>>
>>17384346
>>17384346
That's not flat earth, or reptilians.
>>
>>17379837
Hitler...
>>
>>17383884
>get a load of this guy.jpg
You're not special you roleplaying faggot
>>
>>17379306
My girlfriend
>>
>>17382935
In the same way blacks are humans and faggots are normal?
>>
>>17384422
>>17382739
What changed? People moved from hunter-gatherer lifestyle to farming. Your move, shithead.
>>
>>17383283
No, kill yourself, False Prophet.
>>
>>17381789
Maybe it's purpose was well known back then, and it wasn't religious?
>>
>>17379306
Who built 8000 of these?

They don't seem to have any rational purpose and required a lot of work at the time.
>>
>>17382267

Anon, your (Han)cock is showing.

Strawman much? Take one fucking real university course in anthropology or archaeology and you'll learn that literally no one in academia is teaching the bullshit you claim they are. If anything, real academics give more legitimate credit to the ancients than you self-proclaimed truth seekers do. The difference is they rely on evidence, research, first-hand observation, and peer review, not half-baked armchair spitballing.
>>
File: Roman_dodecahedron-222x300.jpg (17 KB, 222x300) Image search: [Google]
Roman_dodecahedron-222x300.jpg
17 KB, 222x300
Nearly a hundred of these curious artifacts have been found across Europe. So far all have dated from the mid- to late-Roman Empire, specifically the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD. What makes them so interesting is that no contemporary accounts or images exist to explain their purpose. Hypotheses range from simple candlestick holders to calibration devices to primitive, oil-filled grenades. One of the more elaborate theories posits their use as agricultural almanacs, to determine the right day to plant or harvest.

http://www.wondercabinet.net/2012/04/27/roman-dodecahedra/
>>
File: Shugborough_inscription.jpg (31 KB, 936x169) Image search: [Google]
Shugborough_inscription.jpg
31 KB, 936x169
The Shugborough Inscription

Coded mysteries come in many forms and sizes, from the four-letter tetragrammaton to the 240-page Voynich Manuscript. One of the most enduring is comprised of ten letters inscribed on an architectural folly on the grounds of an English country estate in Staffordshire. Between a divided and vertically offset “D” and “M” falls the cryptic sequence “OUOSVAVV.” Visitors to Shugborough Hall, a Neo-Classical mansion built in 1693 by William Anson, will find the letters on the Shepherd’s Monument, so named for its adaptation, in marble relief, of Nicolas Poussin’s famous painting, The Shepherds of Arcadia. (This creates a kind of riddle inside a riddle, as the painting depicts shepherds crouched around a tomb, the epitaph on which — Et in Arcadia ego — has been been the subject of its own lively debate.) People have been puzzling over the Shugborough Inscription ever since the monument’s completion, sometime between 1748 and 1763, with interpretations ranging from a coded dedication to George Anson’s deceased wife to the simple initials of prominent Shugsborough citizens. Worldwide interest in the mystery skyrocketed in 1982, however, after Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln–authors of the controversial book The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail (whose theories were later fictionalized by Dan Brown in The Da Vinci Code)–asserted the inscription held clues to the current whereabouts of the Holy Grail.
>>
File: arthur-coffins-600.jpg (88 KB, 600x553) Image search: [Google]
arthur-coffins-600.jpg
88 KB, 600x553
The Effigies of Arthur’s Seat

Smack dab in the center of Edinburgh, Scotland, loom the atmospheric remains of an extinct volcano long known as Arthur’s Seat. Several boys were rabbit hunting there in 1836 when they found a small niche behind a few sheets of slate. Deposited inside were 17 miniature coffins containing wooden figures, each dressed in distinct material and style. Some looked old and decayed, some looked relatively fresh, which seemed to indicate long intervals between placement. Their provenance then gets murky–over half were lost or destroyed–but in 1901 eight remaining examples were donated to the National Museum of Scotland where they are still exhibited today. Who made them or what they mean presents a beguiling mystery, but the most popular theory is that they are somehow connected to the infamous West Port murders perpetuated by William Burke and William Hare, two Irish immigrants who sold the bodies of their 17 victims to a prominent local surgeon for dissection.

http://www.wondercabinet.net/category/strange-artifacts/
>>
File: Hal_Salflieni.jpg (1 MB, 1687x1106) Image search: [Google]
Hal_Salflieni.jpg
1 MB, 1687x1106
The Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni

In 1902, workers on the island of Malta were digging a cistern for a new housing development when they accidentally cut through the ceiling of this unique structure. Reputed to be the only prehistoric subterranean temple in the world, the Hypogeum (a Latin spelling of a Greek term for “under the ground”) extends downward for three distinct levels, and most of the rooms are covered with an eerie red ochre. Discovered at the deepest level were the scattered bones of nearly 7,000 people, which has led some to posit a long history of human sacrifice. To whom or what they were sacrificed is unknown, but a National Geographic article published in August, 1940 only deepened the mystery, as it reported of a tunnel leading off from the lowest chamber that connected with an underground labyrinth spanning the entire island. Even then, the tunnels had been sealed off after a teacher led some of her students into the labyrinth on a field trip and never returned.
>>
>>17379525
that cardboard shuttle look like it's going to collapse lmao.
>>
>>17386447
not the dude you were posting at but you're not entirely correct. In some areas you're very right but it comes down to a timeline.

Most archaeologists will say anything is possible at 5,000 BCE onwards but there is a weird fear about placing anything before that date unless there is rock solid evidence.

I am not sure why, I have heard all sorts of reasons ranging from some middle eastern countries being afraid to unearth ancient Jewish settlements and being pressured by israel to allow Jewish academics onto the dig. I've also heard they are afraid that Israel may invade a nation if they can prove an ancient Jewish heritage there.

I've also heard that academia functions like a herd and by going against the herd is essentially a researcher establishing himself as the new "pack alpha".

But, it really could be as simple as modern academics trying to not step on the toes of the crazy idea that the earth is only 6000 years old. Nobody wants an article written about how they are trying to "disprove the bible", no matter how loose the articles reasoning is.

I mean, we have these great religious monuments that supposedly were built, operated and maintained by a pastoral population? Jericho was a winter home for thousands of herdsmen? both are indicative of a thriving society with a racial or cultural identity. Eventually archaeology will be more willing to rework the timeline and properly address the nature that we as humans undertook from hunting and gathering to the societies we have today.
>>
>>17382251
>for no good fucking reason
Just like medieval cathedrals.
And yet it happened.
>>
>>17386477
What is interesting about those temples in Malta is that they were very sophisicated for the time, I believe Malta was probably like a pilgrimage spot during the late neolithic that people from all over the Mediterranean visited.

from the cyclades to possibly other places like Sardinia or Italy and North Africa (we know that cycladic culture penetrated the western med, for example it arrived in places like Sardinia during those times).

Malta was probably important because of the great quantiry of obsidian found there so it was often visited and prospered.
>>
File: CXCXBjTUkAAXAEb.jpg (4 KB, 120x141) Image search: [Google]
CXCXBjTUkAAXAEb.jpg
4 KB, 120x141
>>17383290
>>
>>17386513
>medieval cathedrals
>no reason
>>
>>17386460
at 2-5 inches in size, they'd be excellent projectiles for a sling. Hollow, so extremely light weight, but the nodules on the outside would be able to impart some serious force on their targets.
>>
>>17386484
If it was proven with solid evidence which cannot be refuted then our whole understanding of history and civilization will crumble to dust and there will be chaos. Thats the greatest fear of all. No one wants more difficult questions, everyone wants easy answer.
>>
File: 3515435826_2f61179a44.jpg (100 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
3515435826_2f61179a44.jpg
100 KB, 500x333
>>17380035
Evidence of vitrification and stone molding found at puma punku. Pic related.
>>
>>17382507
more like these pls
>>
>>17379867
takes some balls alright.
I wonder how many were lost to the sea, or settled on islands lost under the water now.
>>
>>17386720
Maybe they were exiled from other islands and didnt have a choice which direction they sailed, the vast majority perished, but a few caught the right currents and made it to Easter
>>
>>17386720
maybe they were always there
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 489x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 489x400
>>17385368
>>
>>17386477
>a tunnel leading off from the lowest chamber that connected with an underground labyrinth spanning the entire island.

plz tell me it's mapped.

plz tell me there's cool youtube vids of people exploring it.

plz
>>
>>17386951
>Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni
I was actually reading about that right now. No reliable source mentions any labyrinth apart from the main chambers.
>>
>>17387013
that's a shame
>>
>>17387013
scientists can get pretty retarded with their descriptions of discoveries. They like to exaggerte and use fanciful and whimsical descriptors that leave average joes underwhelmed. THey do it because funding is a bitch to get and the cooler they make shit sound, the more they can fuck around on that project.
>>
>>17386460
Knowing the Romans it's probably an exquisite dildo holder.
>>
File: natgeo.jpg (395 KB, 709x1032) Image search: [Google]
natgeo.jpg
395 KB, 709x1032
>>17387013
No source talks about the tunnels because they've been closed off for almost a hundred years.

This is from National Geographic, August, 1940.
>>
>>17387266
Why don't they open those anything they could find a shit ton of archeological finds?

Also when where the tunnels made?
Neolithic? bronze age? Roman times?
>>
File: Zammit Orig Map.jpg (68 KB, 461x347) Image search: [Google]
Zammit Orig Map.jpg
68 KB, 461x347
>>17386951
Not quite, but still cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wznu2xavitE&feature=youtu.be

>>17387319
First dug in prehistoric times, expanded in the Roman and Byzantine periods.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/1113/
>>
>>17387355
I know that the necropolis/hypogeum sk neolithic, but the long ass tunnels?
>>
>>17387369
Nobody knows. The tunnels and catacombs were made, used, reused, and plundered long before the advent of modern archaeology. You can't date stone, and No evidence of anything neolithic left.

>>17386951
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDryauK0Hqk
>>
What about the longyou cave complex?
>>
File: LongyouCaves009.jpg (3 MB, 3072x1983) Image search: [Google]
LongyouCaves009.jpg
3 MB, 3072x1983
>>17387503
the average floor area of each cave is over a thousand square metres, with heights of up to 30 metres, and the total area covered is in excess of 30,000 square metres.
>>
>>17386554
I don't get it.
>>
>>17379837
We went from slinging sharp pointy things to manipulating the world around us on a molecular level, constructing architectural marvels, flying in high speed jets; going off the planet in half that time. Not to mention all the other shit achieved
>>
>>17382078
>450 b.c

Theres the issue
That year is wrong my friend
>>
>>17386480
You're an idiot
>>
>>17381991
Fuck the mystery about how they were built but talk more about what the pyramids (and/or the sphynx) were used for?
First power-plants man.
>>
>>17387059
Kek
>>
>>17386462
>>17386470
>>17386477
Is that you Rex? That google-translated-wikipedia-page style seems awful familiar...
>>
>>17386477
>Even then, the tunnels had been sealed off after a teacher led some of her students into the labyrinth on a field trip and never returned.

Not gonna lie that sounds like some shitty campfire story. Pretty interesting stuff though.
>>
>>17386480
> lmao
> LMAO
> LAMAO
> LAMOW
> LAHMOW
> lahmow

Fucking faggomatic kill yourself and never return
>>
>>17386624
Plz explan
>>
>>17386720
Maybe it's maybelline
>>
>>17388246
>>17388090
he's right, though. why are you so upset?
>>
>>17388271
He is not. He knows nothing about the craft.
>>
>>17387029
Science denier pls go.

By which I mean pls go inhale mustard gas and die.
>>
File: hox-mutants.jpg (283 KB, 976x706) Image search: [Google]
hox-mutants.jpg
283 KB, 976x706
>>17387772

You don't get a lot of things.
>>
File: kneeling_at_the_altar.jpg (19 KB, 320x251) Image search: [Google]
kneeling_at_the_altar.jpg
19 KB, 320x251
>>17388278
tell me about the craft
>>
>>17382774
Fuck you and your religious pig shit.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.