[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vr/, what are the best CRTs for gaming? I'm not entirely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 1024x768
Hey /vr/, what are the best CRTs for gaming? I'm not entirely experienced with owning a CRT and would like to know. I was going garage sale hunting today and one person who I knew well was offering to give me a 1987 Samsung Celebrity television for $5, which I thought might look good for Atari and NES(Looked really nice too), but I'd like to know what you guys think.

The photo is of someone's CRT taken from AtariAge. Looked just liked this, but no composite input. Only RF and Screws.
>>
just get a pvm and don't mess around breakin your back dragging around them old grandmaw tv's cause they suck
>>
>>3283142
we literally have an entire thread dedicated to /crt/

use the fucking catalog you shit
>>
>>3283152
Look at this hipster thinking his 15+ year old PVM is any better.
>>
If you want the best quality then do what >>3283152 says and get a professional monitor; they are often expensive and can sometimes require professional maintenance to get into best working order.

If you want to spend less and have a bigger screen, then look for a later model Sony Trinitron/WEGA. Most models will have S-Video and Composite inputs and many can handle HD signals as well, if you are going to be using it to pull double-duty for modern game consoles and television.
>>
>>3283142
Hold up why u gotta make a thread. Just buy the damn tv its 5 bucks
>>
>>3283170
Because I've never owned one of these kinds of televisions and I don't want it to catch fire or anything, I thought it might just provide a nice experience, in a way.
>>
>>3283179
>Because I've never owned one of these kinds of televisions
UNDERAGE B&&&&&&
>>
>>3283184
No, I mean, as gaming. My family has owned about 5 different CRTs before. I've just never picked one up myself and took personal care of it.
>>
File: IMG_20160608_190422.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160608_190422.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
It's not worth it. You want composite at the bare minimum.
Go to a salvation army or thrift shop...you'll find lots of crt for cheap.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 1250x1055) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 1250x1055
>>3283328
Thanks. My Grandmother was planning to give me her 2004 Phillips 20PT6341/37 and I was wondering if I should've just gotten this instead of waiting for that(I'm getting it in July), which has Composite and Component. This was mostly just something that I had happened to come by, but I guess it's not really worth it.

Would the Phillips TV work out well then?
>>
>>3283179
Dumb retards get out
>>
>>3283142
You seem to be new OP.
All any any information on the topic you can find in the CRT general.
You can erase the thread so it doesn't be up for week on end.
>>3272607
>>
>>3283381
It'll be good, buddy. S video is probably on board too.
>>
File: sony-wega-kv-27hs420-jn6.jpg (13 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
sony-wega-kv-27hs420-jn6.jpg
13 KB, 400x320
Best CRT video I had from a TV was a Sony VVega 35" HS series (4:3 "HD-Ready"). When I hooked up a PS2 to it with S-video, it had a noticeably better picture than the average TV with S-video, almost VGA quality.

It also supported a HD wide 1080 scan mode, but it was so annoying switching in and out that I set my external HD tuner to 480p-only, which was still awesome ten years ago.

Negatives were that it wanted to do overscan; the DVI input (I really wanted it to play videos off of a computer at couch viewing size) only supported 640x480 with overscan (except when I hooked it up to a Mac in which case it only wanted to do HD mode with overscan!); and it weighed about 180 pounds (80kg). So basically a boat anchor and not quite suitable for regular computer use. I was both sad and happy when its power supply started dying.

It also had a memory stick port for viewing photos or something. Fuck you Sony and your memory stick crap.
>>
I'm not saying taht PVM's aren't the best.

But don't fall for the PVM meme.

A regular good quality CRT like a Sony Trinitron will be more than enough for the average person to do casual gaming.

You also won't have to drop 500 bucks on a reasonably sized one.

You can still find 20-35 inch CRT's in the wild for free to around 20 bucks. Theres no reason to spend any kind of money on a PVM.

Especially 8" PVM's. an 8" tv is basically unusable for the most part, and people spend like 60 bucks for pvm's in tha tsize.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1399x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1399x700
>>3283405
Yep, it's on there.

>>3283564
I honestly don't really care about owning a PVM, I just want a regular television and the Phillips one will suit me well. Thanks.
>>
>>3283142
Don't fall for the PVMeme. They're fucking tiny, expensive and you need stupid custom cables to use them. Just get a shadow mask style sdtv from a decent manufacturer and make sure it has component or RGB. Try to avoid Sony as they have a different type of screen called aperture grill and they're way too sharp.
>>
>>3283142
OP, as long as it has rca in it's fine. If not, it's still fine for composite. ledditors on this board will say anything less than pvr with rgb modded cables is sacrilegious but what they don't realize is that back in the day RCA was a fucking luxury. Most people had to hook a VCR up to their COAX 13 channel tvs.

If you really need to see super sharp pixels, then go the crazy over the top way, but a fucking atari was played on a piece of shit 3- 13 channel CRT. That's a FACT.
>>
>COMPOSITE
>SCANLINES

I can't wait until these fairly autistic 30 year olds die off.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.