[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retro Vidya Storage Solutions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 41d9A7L1vFL.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41d9A7L1vFL.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
I bought pic related off of Amazon for a whopping 8 bucks. It's perfect for NES games, if anyone needs a solution for that. You can easily fit 36 games in two rows in a box. Unfortunately, it's a little two narrow for SNES games.

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Double-Storage-Black-SNS01658/dp/B001B0APOO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1463351321&sr=8-5&keywords=media+storage+box

You guys have any good storage solutions for all of your useless retro plastic? Emulationfags need not apply.
>>
>>3217098
Just a PSA these are accountants boxes. You can buy them nearly anywhere that sells office supplies if someone wanted to check it out in person. I've been using then to store mtg cards and retro games for over a decade now since I get them free from work. Many of them are lined with silica and most are designed in a way to inhibit and vent humidity to prevent files from deteriorating.
>>
>>3217098
I use these really obscure things called "shelves".
>>
>>3217164
Shelving is fine but it can be difficult to find good media shelving and if you don't have cases or prefer to keep your games stored I can see why boxes would be a better solution
>>
>>3217098
For GB/C games I'll direct you to this post of mine in the current game boy thread.
>>3199078
>>
>>3217164
I know some people enjoy having their stuff on display, but I prefer having them in boxes I can keep at hand to just rummage through.
>>
>>3217190
Eh, that seems a bit of a hassle.
>>
>>3217098
at least get ones with handles, christ

http://www.amazon.com/Bankers-Box-R-Kive-Heavy-Duty-Storage/dp/B00006IC3Y
>>
>>3218336
>http://www.amazon.com/Bankers-Box-R-Kive-Heavy-Duty-Storage/dp/B00006IC3Y
But that's not the right size at all. At that rate, why don't I just throw my games in any old box that I already have? Also:
>needing handles on a box that, fully loaded, weighs 4-5 lbs. max
>>
>>3217164
I put my games in boxes, and then on shelves. It's a more efficient use of shelf space. Plus, when people put games on shelves, 9/10 times they end up stacking them vertically to make the most of the shelf space, which just does not gel with me.

I swear, though. With all the random products that pop up to prey on the ignorance of retro gamers, there's a killing to be made if some company would start producing boxes/drawers/shelving units specifically to fit popular sizes of retro game cartriges.
>>
>>3217098
I put my N64 games in shoe boxes. I'd like to display then, but there's nothing to display aside from an array of grey and some various colored carts. I'd buy custom boxes/labels but that feels to time consuming and costly. Maybe one day, but I'm competent with having two boxes where I can easily pull up carts, see the label, then move on the the next if I'm looking for a specific game
>>
>>3218838
Unless you put paper in it like it's designed to, in which case it weighs significantly more.
>>
>>3218915
Well, we ain't talkin' about paper, son.
>>
>>3218917
I know, so stop faulting the box if you're using it for something it's not designed for. THE BOX DID NOTHING WRONG!
>>
>>3218948
Maybe you could stop suggesting that it is something better. You don't need handles for a few plastic cartridges.
>>
>>3218948
Fuck the box and fuck this cardboard-imposed boxriarchy. I've had it with their privileged shit. Just because we have to put something inside something else, it AUTOMATICALLY has to be a box? I'm fucking triggered, man. TRIGGERED.
>>
>>3217164
Me too. If I didn't have all my games displayed on shelved in universal cases I'd totally loose all my hipster nerd cred and a girl that bathes daily might want to touch me.
>>
What I want to know is how to store all the lesser used hardware, cables, and shit in an organized fashion.
>>
>>3220101
I use an over-the-door shoe rack for controllers, large attachments, and peripherals. For cables I used to use some tall-and-thin foam cups in a short and broad box, grid style, to store them. But that only really works with little ones. For larger cables you might coil them and hang them from some cheap mini hardware store hooks screwed into a thin plank, then fix that to your closet / wall / whatever whichever way you prefer.
>>
File: 51sKMixlEKL._SY355_[1].jpg (32 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
51sKMixlEKL._SY355_[1].jpg
32 KB, 355x355
-I swear by transparent shoe organizers as the best controller holder you can get without pliers and aluminum ties on a custom stand.
-For storing loose disc games, I've alternately heard people suggest trading card binders and CD wallets. If you find a properly-sized card binder, I'd go with that. It takes up more space, but CD wallets are obnoxious to handle, look tackier, and I get the feeling they're rougher on the data side.
-Loose cartridge based games I find are just best kept on a shelf. Storage boxes get annoying to shift between for when you wanna rapid fire between games. For games without end labels, you should use some painter's tape and a medium-fine tip black marker and just scribble it on. It's not pretty, but it's very effective and won't leave anything on the plastic.
-AV management is always going to be a bitch, but it's really just worth it to invest in a decent high input count switchbox. Keep them all plugged in, and one controller tied up next to it. I've currently got 10 consoles and a cable box set up to one TV this way. You can use bread clips or more tape and a sharpie on both jack-ends of the AV cord to make sure you know which is which if you need to pull one out.
-Power-wise, it's gonna be a bigger mess, but if you can spare the space between the entertainment stand and the wall, you can get those one-to-three outlet triads from the hardware store for a dollar and use them as breakouts for wall warts. Obviously for safety reasons, try to only have one or two consoles on at once while doing this, and if possible tap more than one wall outlet for this (it won't decrease your circuit draw, but it helps keep the outlet temperature a little lower). I also like to keep painter's tape and silver sharpie on them, so I can quickly tell which adapter goes to which console. If that makes you lose sleep at night, there's power strips that work sort of like an AV switchbox, but with power, which are much safer (albeit inconvenient)
[cont.]
>>
File: 51bacabYh9L._SL256_[1].jpg (11 KB, 256x244) Image search: [Google]
51bacabYh9L._SL256_[1].jpg
11 KB, 256x244
>>3220295
-Alphabetize everything. And go by the end-label wording. You'll learn it pretty quick, if your collection is smaller than "GET HELP huge".
-On switchboxes, order them by your region's release date. You can also label the switchbox with everything, but I find easier to remember which order they were released in than remembering how I wired it a year ago. Component fags, you have my sympathy, with your eleven million goddamn wires. Composite is just less to keep track of for me, and cheaper. Doubly so if you're doing a PVM with BNC adapters.
-Keep your retro-specific cleaning supplies in a little shower caddy.
-Keep your retro-specific repair supplies another little shower caddy
-Keep those both next to your toolbox, and make sure you're obsessively cleanly with putting things back in it. The day you need the electric tape will be the day after you left it at work.
-Resist the urge to put jewel case games on the CD rack of your entertainment stand. You'll hate stooping over to get your copy of Wipeout from ankle level. Go get a CD holder for your shelf -- they make little plastic notched holders for this exact purpose, and once you've filled it up it'll look homey enough.
>>
File: 20160516_233251.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160516_233251.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>3218891
I actually ended up buying a set of those end labels from ebay. You get a complete set for every game available for under 30 bucks, usually, depending on what style you want.

I was getting really annoyed at having to rummage through my N64 games to look at the front labels. Especially since most days, I decide what I want to play by browsing the tops of my carts, it meant I just wasn't playing my poor old N64 games all that much.
>>
>>3220101
My setup is to take each controller, wrap up the cord over-under style, and then put it in a resealable plastic bag with a pack of silica gel. Then I do the same with the console power/AV cables, bag by bag, until it's all gathered up. Then I organize all the stuff by system into a plastic storage container. Doesn't take long really, I have about 15 consoles total and it only took me a few hours.

I have usually just put carts in with the system but I dunno, these media storage boxes are sounding good.
>>
>>3217098
hard drive for my roms nigga
>>
>>3220604
Damn. Too poor to even afford a flash cart. You were born to emulate faggot.
>>
>>3220295
>Storage boxes get annoying to shift between for when you wanna rapid fire between games
I disagree. I just pull out the box with the games for the systems I want to play and keep it within reach. I don't even have to get up to change games. How is this more annoying than having to go to a shelf? Only thing a shelf is better for is showing your collection off.
>>3220325
>Composite is just less to keep track of for me, and cheaper. Doubly so if you're doing a PVM with BNC adapters
>wasting a PVM by using it with composhite
...why? Why be so particular about the management of your wires and hardware, but then settle for the next-to-shittiest video signal? Unless you don't have a PVM and were just mentioning it for the hell of it.

There's this faggot in the CRT threads that has a raging hateboner for SCART as a means of transmitting an RGB signal, mostly because the cables sold in the states are a bit on the expensive side, but honestly, it's worth it to have one, consolidated cable and plug for each console's output. And also to not have to drill holes in the back of my systems to solder in RCA connectors just so I could have a messy, complicated set-up so I could feel self-righteous about saving a few bucks.
>>
>>3221778

Because SCART is a shit connector, even though RGB is the shit. It can carry more than one type of signal,there are two types of standards (EU and JP21)and requires good shielding to prevent audio buzz. RCA/BNC is a much better connector.
>>
>>3222756
I feel like this only happens if you buy the super-cheap chinese cables. I bought a set of those once and there was all kinds of interference. Ended up making my own by soldering a Nintendo multi-out to the end of a better SCART cable I bought from the UK and I didn't have any interference.

Actually, I don't know why I didn't think of it at the time, but I could have just soldered some chopped-up RCA cables to a multi-out plug and made them that way.
>>
>>3222879
>I feel like this only happens if you buy the super-cheap chinese cables.
I can confirm this, there is noticeable difference between shitty chinese cable and good, proper one. Sometimes chinese ones aren't even wired up properly, once it was wired to use composite instead of RGB when it was sold as RGB-scart..
>>
>>3220509
Those end-labels are much nicer than some other garish ones I've seen. Having just the logo against a simple gray background is more classy.

I'd like endlabels in that style except printed on transparent plastic stickers rather than paper ones. They'd be easy to take off if I ever felt the need to do so.
>>
>>3220509
has anyone done something like this for pal snes carts? Those lacks end labels too
>>
>>3222756
>Because SCART is a shit connector,
Yeah, no buddy. You're just buying shit.
>>
I use UGCs for most of my collection

The Genesis and Famicom games that don't have cases I have in a cassette drawer.

TG-16, GB/C/A, DS games are in card sleeves.

CD based games are either in their jewel case, a DVD case or in a binder.

All my PS2 games are in binders due to space
I may just ditch the UGCs.
>>
>>3224979
Good to know. I'll be sure to bring that up the next time some eurofag tries to insist the American SNES has an ugly design.
>>
>>3225105
SCART is pretty shitty. It's fragile as hell in my experience, even ones bought from retro_gaming_accessories on ebay. The female connectors are especially fragile.
>>
>>3225130
>Uses UGCs and binders
I thought people are usually all or nothing when it comes to replacement cases.
>>
>>3225162
Most of my PS2 games are second hand, usually had damaged DVD cases that fell apart eventually.
>>
if you really want to preserve your games you've gotta keep them suspended in embalming fluid
>>
>>3224871
Those ones I bought actually are plastic. I agree transparent would have been nice, but they look pretty good in person. Only thing I don't like about them is that they make it so you can't open the carts if you need to, but I recently gave all of them a good cleaning, so I really shouldn't need to open them for a while. One seller on ebay makes end labels that only cover half the top of the carts, so you can still open them.

>>3224979
Good question. I searched around and couldn't find anything. Only a couple of people who had made them up just for themselves. Probably just easier to grab a label-maker for those.
>>
>>3225339
Oh, they are plastic then?
link pls
>>
>>3225364
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Set-And-All-Variants-Of-N64-Top-Spine-Labels-/252390877966?
You have to cut these out yourself, but it's easy-peasy. Haggle with him a bit, I got him down to $25 for the set.

>>3217098
Also, I picked up the 3x5 index card box from this same company. Pic related. Holds 12 N64 games pretty perfectly.
>>
>>3225398
>$25 for the set.
Wow, I can't believe you actually paid that much for that trash. For that kind of money, you could have just brought some Universal Game Cases to put your N64 games. They would store your games, you could put them on a shelf, and actually have nice full cover art on the front. But instead you chose to act like a retard. Yeah, that Pokemon Stadium sticker looks real nice with all the white in the middle.
>>
>>3217098
been using shoe boxes, for my playstion 1/2 and gamecube games

need to get some of these
>>
File: 410bv4XNJ2L.jpg (28 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
410bv4XNJ2L.jpg
28 KB, 500x481
>>3225427
I'm sorry you're so painfully invested in how other people spend their money. You must be a sad, petty creature with nothing much to console you. You have my pity.
>universal game cases
Sure. Let me spend more money just so I can get some plastic cases that make my games take up more space than they need to, and more of a hassle to take out and play, just so I can show them off for my hipster nerd cred. Gag me with a spoon.

>>3225448
If you've got your PS2/GC games in their original cases still, they'll fit perfectly into the DVD storage boxes. Pic related. You get two of them for 6 bucks. Hard to beat that. I bought them because even if I don't use them for games, I'm sure I'll find something else to stick in them, like spare controllers and accessories and whatnot.
http://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Storage-Boxes-Inches-SNS01618/dp/B00063E2HS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1463631714&sr=8-5&keywords=snap+n+store
>>
>>3225142
but that same "issue" applies for jap carts too :^)
>>
>>3225514
>If you've got your PS2/GC games in their original cases still, they'll fit perfectly into the DVD storage boxes.
thanks, I have all of the cases do those will do nicely
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.