[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gg/ - Gameboy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 95
File: gameboy.jpg (183 KB, 540x539) Image search: [Google]
gameboy.jpg
183 KB, 540x539
Played any cool videogames lately for the following systems, /vr/?

>Gameboy
>Gameboy Color
>Gameboy Advance
>Virtual Boy
>>
not retro
>>
>>3182810
playing gameboy games on a gba is retro :^)
>>
File: 20160502_031315.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160502_031315.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>3182810
There, now everyone is happy and the thread can continue, just like when people use their PS2 as a retro PS1 game player.
>>
>>3182840
Thats one of the older SPs with frontllight instead of backlight isn't it?
>>
Anyone else sad that Nintendo killed off the GB line for the much worse DS line?

Fuck two screens desu
>>
>>3182847
Yeah it's the one I bought when I was a teenager. I'm going to be getting an AGS screen AGB 001 sometime soon, but I have no idea where any of my GBA games are right now. On the one hand I'm somewhat saddened that I ditched my original AGB-001 when I bought the SP, but on the other hand I got a much better return on it back then than what it goes for on eBay now, and I never would have used it after getting the SP because the non-lit screen was absolute garbage for playing games with. It the old reflective screen tech barely worked with the Game Boy Color, and the GBA pushed it way harder than it was ever intended to go. It was basically a glorified calculator screen trying to display Super Nintendo games.
>>
File: $_32.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>3182859
I am. I never bought a DS. I held out thinking Nintendo would make good on their promise of the DS being a separate pillar from the Game Boy, and that a powerful, 3D-gaming ready Game Boy was right around the corner. I waited and waited, but it soon became clear that the Game Boy was a thing of the past and the DS was its replacement.

I ended up buying a PSP because in my mind, that was the next logical evolution of the Game Boy concept. It was a nice big screen with some buttons and a joystick, it could play nice looking 2D and 3D games, movies, and music on the go. That's basically what I wanted. I ended up missing my Nintendo games so much though, that I put CFW on it so I could play emulators. I played emulators on that thing at least as much as any official game discs that I may have had.

I will always have a soft spot for Nintendo even though I haven't bought a new system from them since the Gameboy Advance SP. I still just want a new Game Boy-- no flappy clamshell designs, just a simple, elegant brick of gaming goodness that I can fit in my pocket, and says "Nintendo" on the front.
>>
File: gameboy.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
gameboy.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2592
>>3182804
I've been playing a shit load of gameboy games lately. Right now I'm working my way through Wario Land 2, Pokemon Gold and Bart's Escape from Camp Deadly.

I've also been playing a lot of F-1 Race, Q-billion, Tetris, Golf, Qix, Batman, Hieyankyo Alien, and others.

I'm also thinking about modding my DMG with a Bivert, Backlight, and adding a new faceplate.

>>3182810
fuck off faggot
>>
Haven't played any recently, anyone able to suggest some nice shooter for the Color? Something relatively easy going.
I liked Duke Nukem

>>3182810
Go take a hit from your inhaler you fucking nerd.

>>3182812
Or using it to emulate games.

>>3182840
Y'know, those really remain supremely compact even with the old square carts inserted.

>>3182905
>Wario Land 2
Good shit, probably my favorite Color title.
>>
File: gameboy.jpg (42 KB, 1038x287) Image search: [Google]
gameboy.jpg
42 KB, 1038x287
Obviously the GBA can be used play /vr/ games, but it'd be nicer to use something less baity next time for the OP image to start a GB/GBC thread.
>>
>>3183001
Triggering "not muh" faggots is so much fun though.
>>
>>3183001
I was gonna say it would be nice to have a GBA shaped like a Color, but backlit, because it would be such a comfy way to play Color and OG games, but then I remembered the shoulder buttons.
I guess they could be fitted on a raised shelf on the bottom (at the cost of a less flat system), or turned into face buttons above A and B (at the cost of less practicality).

I guess it ought to have a recessed port, so square carts fit flush, but then Advance carts would leave a gap.

I guess it's just easier with the SP.

Say, are there ways to emulate Sega games on a GBA? Would D-Pad, A+B, L+R then Select & Start be enough for Genesis games?
It's two buttons short for SNES
>>
>>3182859
I thought it was ok.
They really wanted to force the touch screen early on, when it's mainly suited for menial tasks, not gameplay, so that could fuck right off, but other than that it was nice.

>>3183001
My brother had one of those original massive gray bricks, I had a red Pocket.
Somehow it always felt like the Pocket went through batteries faster.
>>
>>3182810
ur mum is though
>>
File: 1462193477753-1426645817.jpg (994 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1462193477753-1426645817.jpg
994 KB, 2560x1440
Been playing wario land on a super game boy, i liked the virtual boy version better but its the same game more or less
>>
File: Large insertion.jpg (9 KB, 106x29) Image search: [Google]
Large insertion.jpg
9 KB, 106x29
>>3182840
Spoiler that shit friendo, this is a blue board.
>>
File: Duke Nukem.jpg (42 KB, 260x226) Image search: [Google]
Duke Nukem.jpg
42 KB, 260x226
This was a pretty good action sidescroller.
>>
File: maru's_mission.jpg (274 KB, 402x451) Image search: [Google]
maru's_mission.jpg
274 KB, 402x451
For the past month I've been playing so many GB games, I'm now considering playing only GB games this year and try to play every single title out there, in full or partially.

Last night I played Maru's Mission and found it enjoyable.

>>3183047
They have fun having a chance to shitpost. In the end what you have is a shit thread and everybody loses.
>>
>>3182804
I'm gonna mod my dmg gameboy later on today, if all goes well, I'll post the results here.
>>
been playing wario land 2, kwirk, and castlevania: the adventure lately. i also recently bought dragon warrior i+ii, as well as iii. I tried iii as a child and just didn't understand rpg's i guess, so i'm gonna give it another go.

currently awaiting a flashcart and a new spice-colored shell for my AGB-001, which i bought the day it released. once it comes, i'm gonna take the screen from an old AGS-101 and make my AGB-001 into a little slice of heaven
>>
It's nice seeing love for Wario Land 2 around here.
>>
>>3182883
>I ended up buying a PSP because in my mind, that was the next logical evolution of the Game Boy concept
The PSP is almost a text-book example of doing absolutely everything wrong you can do wrong on a handheld
>>
>>3183712
The analog ain't that bad. What else is wrong with it?
>>
>>3183712
Like what?
>>
>>3183715
having analog on a handheld is questionable. Can't do reliable input in a shaking bus

>>3183716
* sacrificing battery life for visuals that are not necessary on such a small screen
* using discs
* straight up copying the old gba layout instead of working with the ability of a system held in your hand (DS showed how it's done, Vita later had a comment or two on that subject as well)
* backlit display
>>
>>3183723
>having analog on a handheld is questionable.
No it's not, they can be useful depending on what you're doing.

>Can't do reliable input in a shaking bus
I don't play when in a motor vehicle, makes me sick, I take a handheld with me so that if I have some free time somewhere, I can sit down and play.

>sacrificing battery life for visuals that are not necessary on such a small screen
I guess?

>using discs
I'll give you that they're more sensitive, and that it's preferable that a handheld/portable uses a format that can take a bit of abuse, but on the other hand, discs can store a lot of data, and small ones have very short tracking time.

>straight up copying the old gba layout
Well, it works.

>instead of working with the ability of a system held in your hand (DS showed how it's done, Vita later had a comment or two on that subject as well)
I'll give you that, there are more ideal ways to shape your handheld.

>backlit display
I like a lit screen, I loved my early GBA but the screen was not easy to see, the SP was a godsend.
>>
>>3183738
>I don't play when in a motor vehicle
you're not the arbiter of what works. For every you there's a kid trying to play in the bus, and having a really rough time.

>they're more sensitive
who gives a damn? They're SLOW. Downtime is almost the worst thing you can have on a system purpose built for "pick up and play", not "pick up ... .... .... ... and .... ... .... p... a fuck it, there's the ride I've been waiting for, and tried to play a game while waiting"

>can store a lot of data
which is very useless on a low resolution, low quality sound system like a handheld

>very short tracking time
a chip is faster

>I like a lit screen
All GBs since the very first one are very reliably front lit
>>
To be fair I never used my psp outside anyway so that didn't affect me.
>>
>>3183747
>All GBs since the very first one are very reliably front lit
I should add, the problem with backlighting is that it competes with ambient lighting. The better your ambient light is, the more a backlight struggles. You got a 0,something Watts light in your handheld, fighting with the billions of Watts from the gas ball in the sky, it makes no sense. It also requires constant illumination, under all conditions.
Meanwhile a reflective display uses ambient light for itself. Only when ambient light is low an additional light source is required, which can be a peripheral or integrated.
>>
>>3183758
>To be fair I never used my psp outside anyway so that didn't affect me.
That's the thing. The PSP introduced a handheld culture that encourages sitting on the couch. Low battery life, allergic to light, you practically had to sit next to the outlet. It's eating up everything that makes a handheld a handheld, and just turns the system into a portable living room system.
>>
>>3183761
It was the game gear of its generation.
>>
>>3183768
only, unlike the Game Gear it was successful. So successful that Nintendo felt like doing the same mistakes in form of backlighting their displays (DSlite is fucking bright ... except when you're playing it outside when the weather is overcast or better, then you can't see shit) and sacrificing battery for visuals (3DS).
>>
>>3183146
your brother was better at turning his off when he wasn't using it
>>
>>3183771
>sacrificing battery for visuals (3DS)
But 3DS visuals are shit for its time.
>>3183723
>Can't do reliable input in a shaking bus
You never played PSP in bus, did you?

>* using discs
It wasn't the issue since everyone CFW'ed their PSPs.
>>
Wario Land 2 is a beautiful game and everyone should play it.
>>
File: Crazywario.jpg (12 KB, 180x153) Image search: [Google]
Crazywario.jpg
12 KB, 180x153
>>3183831
I agree!
>>
Marathoned the R&D1 WL games not too long ago, here's how I would rank them:

II > 3 > VB > 4 > 1
>>
>>3183831
>>3183843
What is your opinion on Wario Land 3?
>>
>>3184117
I never got into it so I couldn't give you a worthwhile opinion of it, but I've been told it's supposed to be good.
>>
>>3184117
Shitty at first, gets better after you unlock the abilities (so about 50% through). Replay value is great, and has some of the deepest level designs in the franchise. Golf minigame was also cool.
>>
I'm a about to buy my first GBC and I really want to know what good games can I play in it.
I'll buy pokemon gold but I need at least 2 more games. What do you think?
Pikachu edition for 28 euro with pokemon gold.
It's almost new. It's from a good friend, he bought it but got the GBA and didn't play with the color.
>>
>>3182840
People are going to see that OP and think that GBA GAMES are allowed to be talked about.
>>
>>3184768
Obvious troll. Thread is full of faggots. Hopefully they stay contained here.
>>
File: 20160502_232538.jpg (164 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
20160502_232538.jpg
164 KB, 853x480
So I picked up Golden Sun and Tetris today. I got Tetris for free because I bought a Darth Vader Atari 2600, and any console purchase comes with a free game worth $6 or less.
>>
>>3185083
better luck next time
>>
>>3185087
They also had a copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3 but it was in shit condition. I figured I'd be better off trying eBay.
>>
>>3185083
Golden Sun has way too many words. Shining the Holy Ark is the better RPG.
>>
>>3183698
Every Wario game was god-tier. Virtual Boy Wario Land was the pinnacle. Then it went all downhill...

Sometimes I phantasize about a Wario game on the super nintendo. And I don't mean "Mario & Wario", I'm talking about a serious platformer like SMW.
>>
>>3185396
>plays rpg
>"ugh, I have to read?!"
>>
>>3185467
Go read a book, nigger.
>>
>>3184671
Wario Land 2
Wario Land 3
Super Mario Deluxe
Hunter X Hunter
Duke Nukem
Metal Gear Solid
Shantae (if you can find it and want to pay for it)
The Legend of Zelda, whichever one.

>>3185083
Can never go wrong with Tetris
Never played Golden Sun

>>3185472
How the fuck can you be so dense that you don't see the blatant sarcasm in his post, christ
>>
>>3183146
The pocket gets about 5-10 hours, whereas the fat gameboy gets 15-30.

If you think about it, it's the exact same per power consumption, but two AAA batteries vs. four AA batteries.
>>
>>3185467
Show, don't tell. It applies to games as well
>>
>>3186052
Shut up, faggot. Films aren't games, games aren't books. One "rule" doesn't necessarily work or need to work with the other.
>>
>>3185694
Thanks!

Wario Land 2 is cheap in my city, and legend of zelda is a fucking classic
>>
>>3186052
Ok, how do you explain visual novels then?

Not retro, but like Phoenix Wright. Great game, mostly text.]
>>
>>3187082
They're not games
>>
>>3187203
Point and clicks?
Text adventures?
Rouge-likes?
>>
>>3185083
You forgot the first golden sun anon, you need both
>>
>>3187229
>Point and clicks?
Choose-your-own-adventure books with art.
>Text adventures?
Choose-your-own-adventure books with no art.
>Rouge-likes?
ASCII graphics != reading a book
>>
>>3187082
The concept of "show, don't tell" originates in books or novels, which are entirely text. It's not about simply avoiding text, it's more about using the abilities of the medium at hand, to actually show to the audience what you want to express, instead of telling them. In a novel this would mean, for example, having a character act a certain way, instead of telling the audience a character has that personality trait. In a game this would mean letting the player act out things, or show them in a cut scene (avoid this, cut scenes are anti-game), instead of reading about them. A visual novel is obviously a game with a very strong basis in a written novel. It would be pretty dumb to cut off its text. That's not what "show, don't tell" is for. It merely suggests how the text should be written. The more you move away from a novel and into a game territory though, the more the meaning of the phrase shifts. It even applies to movies, where it's considered more helpful to actually show what's happening, put the emotions into pictures and motions, instead of having a narrator. So, "show, don't tell" does apply across many media, but it expresses itself in different forms, and in particular it never means "text bad". It's far more nuanced.
>>
File: 1461998850579.jpg (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1461998850579.jpg
17 KB, 200x200
>>3187783
>cut scenes are anti-game
Pardon?
>>
>>3188419
Games are an interactive medium. They rely on player input, and ideally a large share of the responses they evoke, are from the interactivity, from the player not being an audience, but an active actor. A cutscene is at its very core the opposite of interactivity. Not only are they not interactive, they can not ever be interactive, or they would stop being cutscenes. So cutscenes are the moment when the player relinquishes their actor role, returns into an audience state. The one aspect that distinguishes games from all other media, is gone. As such, a cutscene is a last resort, a solution to go to when all other forms of interactive narrative fail, and a passive narrative needs to be put up. A stupid non-/vr/ example that pops into my head is Warcraft 3. The chain of events that turns Arthas from hero to villain does have some cutscenes, but very important actions like the mass slaughter are performed by the player themselves. I'm quite confident it's intentional that throughout that mission the player thinks "that does not feel right, at all", because it's the player performing the action, they are directly "responsible" for what's going on. The interactivity adds layers to the actions, that a cutscene can not do.
>>
>>3189075
Fair enough, and that's actually a pretty good example, but I don't think a cutscene has to be bad.
>>
>>3188419
Watching/reading breaks immersion. Videogames are about immersing yourself.
>>
>>3182804
Generals belong on /vg/.
>>
>>3189075
>>3189314
What do you think about the Half-Life method of exposition? No cutscenes, no camera cuts, everything told directly to the player's face by an NPC?
>>
>>3189367
In general, there are plenty of not-really-interactive sections in HL. Even if you can move the character, the game drones on. It's like a cutscene with minor camera control. What HL did really well was let you take over at the initial test chamber incident. That's a good example, and I think it left quite an impression with the players, as they felt directly responsible and involved in the shit hitting the fan. Likewise, encounters with the army later on, are much more powerful than introducing the army through a plain cutscene. The player experiences first hand that something is up, and can identify much closer with the role of Gordon. I have to say, I personally I don't like HL. I found it dull, and despite attempting more than a handful of times, I never finished it. Regardless though, its approach to narrative, especially in terms of avoiding non-interactive sequences, or at least disguising them, was good.
>>
I've been trying to finish Super Mario Land on the gameboy
its a really cool game despite the limited hardware
>>
>>3189568

Are you stuck in it?
>>
How do you store your loose cartridges?
I'm thinking about getting empty cases of cassette tapes.
>>
File: game tote.jpg (262 KB, 1098x1080) Image search: [Google]
game tote.jpg
262 KB, 1098x1080
>>3191364
I only have three loose carts at the moment so I put them in a Nyko Game Toteâ„¢
>>
>>3191424
4 games per case is really pretty, much better than the single game cases I have. What I'm still looking for is anything that allows me to store a game and its manual, together. Or two games and their manuals, or any number of games and their manuals. The "and their manuals" bit is what's so tricky. Even your 2x2 case, as pretty as it is, can't hold the manuals inside, so they just kind of sit on the side, or in the boxes, or I don't know, untidy
>>
File: 1458436760437.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
1458436760437.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>3182810
>GB
>Not retro
>>
>>3185694
Shantae is ridiculously expensive. Right now a copy on eBay is going for $350. You're seriously best off just buying an Everdrive to play it on. It was one of the last Gameboy Color games ever released and they hardly put out any copies of it. Which is a shame, because it was also one of the most technically impressive games ever released for the system.
>>
>>3187238
Yeah I kind of realized that at the register, but I figured I might as well snag #2 now and have both once I find a copy of #1.

Ironically I ended up getting a free copy of Banjo Tooie a few years ago and never played it, because I didn't have the first Banjo Kazooie. I finally bought a copy about a year ago and have been inching my way through it. I will probably binge through it once I RGB mod my N64.
>>
>>3195623
>they hardly put out any copies of it
the alternative was putting out no copies at all, which was very close to reality for Shantae. Wayforward was publisher-hopping for a good year before Capcom finally gave in and did a tiny run. I think publishers were the biggest issue for the GBC. So many cool games never made it, because publishers were afraid of doing their job
>>
>>3195629
Yeah I'm not really saying it's anyone's fault. It's just a shame more people didn't get to play the game. I remember reading about the game in Nintendo Power and never being able to find a copy at any local stores, and it wasn't until years later I found out why.
>>
File: 41ntl1al04L._SX425_.jpg (16 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
41ntl1al04L._SX425_.jpg
16 KB, 425x319
>>3191364
The clamshell cases really aren't that hard to find on eBay for cheap. They used to include them with every game and would sell them in packs, and since there were over a thousand Gameboy games published there's not really a shortage of them.
>>
>>3195632
>I'm not really saying it's anyone's fault
I am. I blame the publishers. We could have had Tyrannosaurus Tex, Drymouth, another Warlocked, so much cool shit. Publishers were reluctant to publish anything without big IP backing it. Even high quality finished games, that only needed to be published, not paid for, they'd refuse to do it. It was madness
>>
File: Shantae.png (189 KB, 401x789) Image search: [Google]
Shantae.png
189 KB, 401x789
>>3195635
Well yeah, if you're gonna blame anyone the publishers are definitely the ones who deserve it. They were especially dumb when it came to cartridges because they were more expensive than CDs to publish games for, and that made them extra risk-averse. And back in those days, pre-ordering actually meant something because it could sometimes be the difference between getting a game catridge and not getting to play it at all.

To anyone out there who was smart enough to pre-order Shantae back in the day though, feel glad in knowing that you own an expensive piece of Gameboy history, and that Shantae loves you.
>>
File: 4252345682569.jpg (15 KB, 450x360) Image search: [Google]
4252345682569.jpg
15 KB, 450x360
>>3193787
Gameboy threads trigger some people's autism because sometimes people talk about "the wrong Gameboy."
>>
>>3195646
TYPE '*TRIGGER WARNING*' THIS DONT BE AN ASSHOLE
>>
File: 892801-shantae.jpg (44 KB, 574x809) Image search: [Google]
892801-shantae.jpg
44 KB, 574x809
>>3195643
I didn't pre-order, but bought it shortly afterwards. Still have it. Awesome game. Also, your pic there is not GBC Shantae
>>
>>3195646
OP was shitposting. It's not difficult to find on-topic pics, yet they decided to use bait
>>
>>3195658
It is on topic though

Its an aesthetically pleasing image he didnt mean to trigger the people who can't stand even the image of it

It's the ultimate threat to /vr/ right? that a 15 year old system with a library that is mainly snes ports.
Thats the fucking ultimate trigger
>>
>>3195681
> /vr/s obsession with the rules is well known
and?
>gba is bad stuff
obligatory fuck off
>>
>>3195702
>gba is bad stuff
your reading comprehension sucks. I am not surprised
>>
File: Survival Kids.jpg (44 KB, 260x226) Image search: [Google]
Survival Kids.jpg
44 KB, 260x226
So I'm kind of curious about Survival Kids, how does it compare to Link's Awakening in terms of gameplay?

>>3195681
>>3195658
>has lots of ports of 3rd and 4th gen console games (as well as remakes)
>can play 3rd and 4th gen handheld games
>has ports of arcade classics
>can be used to emulate 3rd and 4th gen console and handheld games and frequently is

It's fine by proxy, now shut up, you're getting aspergers all over the place.
>>
>>3196023
>how does it compare to Link's Awakening in terms of gameplay?
it doesn't
>>
>>3195681
>/vr/s obsession with the rules is well known

The Wonderswan Color came out a full year after the cut off date, and no one bats an eye when it gets posted, yet the GBA, which was released just 3 months later, causes massive shitstorms.
>>
File: SAM_0850.jpg (533 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0850.jpg
533 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>3196034
Because the WSC didn't get any Sega games on it. You can bet if Sega hadn't gone third-party in gen 6 that the other systems would be allowed.
>>
>>3196536
What?

I'm not sure I follow that logic.
>>
File: gba_sonic.jpg (51 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gba_sonic.jpg
51 KB, 300x300
>>3197316
There's a very vocal minority here on /vr/ that get upset that Sega started making games on Nintendo systems.
>>
>>3197335
Console Warriors should be launched into the sun.
>>
>>3196030
Is it a good game at all?
>>
>>3198837
very much so
>>
File: IMG_0039.jpg (184 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0039.jpg
184 KB, 1200x900
>>3191364
Once I got around 50 games I started using a binder with baseball card sleeves. They work for GBA games too.
>>
>>3197335
>>3197370
I was a Nintendo kid during the console wars. While I'm not at all upset about Sega games on Nintendo systems, I do still find it a bit weird.
>>
>>3199078
where do you put the manuals? And how dust-protected are these games?
>>
>>3199085
I have all my game manuals - for all my systems - in a drawer in my desk. It's a somewhat snug fit to put a GB card into those card sleeves, so I'd say they're pretty well protected from dust.
>>
>>3199089
my search goes on then, I guess. Thanks anyway
>>
>>3199097
Why? What specifically are you looking for?
>>
>>3199114
something I can store (and present) the games and manuals together in. Bonus points if it can include a camera, light, and/or the GBC itself.
At the moment it's per-game cases, with the manuals on a stack on the side. Been thinking about DS-style cases, but that's gonna be expensive as fuck. Your baseball cards variant is not ideal, but a good idea. Maybe I'll put the plastic cases I have in a 3x3 grid on some solid sheet of some material, and the manuals on the other "page". Just shopping around for ideas at the moment
>>
>>3199078
>I started using a binder with baseball card sleeves. They work for GBA games too.
That's actually pretty damn nifty for collecting physical cartridges.

>>3199128
Get a custom outfitter to make a foam cutout case for you?
They'll do it for guns, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it for games too.
>>
>>3189339
This, I always took a piss during cutscenes
>>
>>3182883
You are missing a lot, DS is probably the best Nintendo handheld, coming from a huge fan of handhelds (I even have a Vita, fuck the guy that said that psp sucked btw) you should try one anon, you are missing a lot of great games.
>>
>>3200413
>fuck the guy that said that psp sucked
I'm always a little puzzled by the excessive black and white fanboy thinking. What do you guys have to gain from that?
>>
>>3200510
Some people never grow out of their 12 year old phase, see /v/ and Neogaf.
>>
Bampu
>>
What's the best gba to use if you want some flash cart action? Also, best flash cart?

I've had awful luck with SP shoulder buttons but can't into hardware modding. Would original gbas with backlights cost jewbux?
>>
>>3202093
I personally felt the SP had excellent shoulder buttons, but maybe that's just me.

I have never modded a Gameboy, but I figure it shouldn't be TOO expensive to kit out an old GBA with some lights
>>
>>3195681
>and I report that kind of shitposting without a hint of remorse

The mods don't give a shit. In fact, reporting people for posting post Y2K games makes the mods less inclined to delete the content than if you just didn't say anything.
>>
>>3200413
I keep telling myself I'll get a DSi and a DStwo Supercard eventually, but then my mind always drifts back to how I want to finish modding all of my Gameboys and my Gamegear, and how I want to replace my PSP that broke a few years ago.
>>
>>3196220
Sweet custom. I'm planning to mod a DMG with a green backlight.
>>
>>3203451
>DSi

For all those exclusive games, right?
>>
>>3203627
No, because the D-pad is slightly less shitty than the DS Lite's.
>>
>>3204083
It's a DS, you're not supposed to touch the buttons. Just make noises for the microphone and smear your fingers over the lower screen. If you don't like the smearing, just scratch it with the included plastic stick
>>
>>3204091
yeah okay you can stfu now idiot.
>>
>>3204091
What kind of spastic mongoloid do you have to be to scratch the screen with the stylus?

Don't play it in the sandbox and don't apply the same force like you're carving your name into it.
>>
File: S1040049.jpg (736 KB, 864x1536) Image search: [Google]
S1040049.jpg
736 KB, 864x1536
picked one up a month ago or so for €35, rec me some games
i saw a copy of carmageddon for it in the retro vidya store i was in lol
>>
>>3204446
Wario Land
Pokémon
>>
>>3204446
Pocket Bomberman and Donkey Kong '94.
>>
>>3204446
Metal gear solid
Kirby tilt n tumble
Links awakening
>>
>>3204663
>Links awakening
The Oracle games are better tbqh
>>
>>3204690
It's still good though.
>>
File: gb_MysticQuest.jpg (479 KB, 960x1400) Image search: [Google]
gb_MysticQuest.jpg
479 KB, 960x1400
>>3204446
Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Legend / Seiken Densetsu)
>>
>>3205815
I wish I could make my gameboy games orange like that
>>
>>3182804
Tetris
what else?
TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS TETRIS
>>
File: chocolate.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
chocolate.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>3206674
TETRIS?!
>>
>>3206668
You can if you emulate, I played Link's Awakening in blue and it looks great.
>>
File: 20160511_215841.jpg (300 KB, 1642x480) Image search: [Google]
20160511_215841.jpg
300 KB, 1642x480
Here's this weeks Gameboy pickups. Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Donkey Kong, Mario Land 2 and Wario Land. I also picked up an official cleaning kit but that's not super interesting.

I actually owned Donkey Kong when I was a kind but I either lost it or sold it for some dumb reason because I can't find it anywhere. I think being a foolish youngster I sold all of my black and white GB games when the GBC came out, because I simply wasn't playing them anymore.

I also have a bunch of mods in the mail. Full AGS 101 screen conversion kit for my GBA, front light kit + loca + glass lens for my GBC, and a glass screen, backlight, and bivert chip for a DMG. I am still looking for another DMG and am not quite ready to resort to eBay yet.
>>
So I bought an aftermarket replacement Gameboy Color shell, but I wasn't really that impressed with the quality. Visually it looked great when it was put together, although there were some major annoyances I had.

First of all, the "infrared port" it comes with is made out of opaque plastic, which makes it literally useless since it disables all IR features. Secondly, and more importantly, the plastic feels a lot cheaper than the original from Nintendo, and it's actually ever so slightly smaller, something you don't notice until you screw it together. The replacement lens it came with also looked like knockoff crap so I just used my original even with its scratches.

It definitely makes the system feel more like a cheap chinese knockoff when you hold it in your hands even though the plastic is pristine looking and feeling. The size difference is most immediately apparent if you try to put an authentic battery cover on it, because it won't fit, and the case flexes together in such a way that if you flick the plastic with your finger, it sounds like a spring. The difference in shape / size also screws with the D-pad and buttons during gameplay, seemingly adding a tiny dead zone between the click and actual activation.

I'd say it's an okay way to spend $10 if all you want is a brand-new looking display piece, but I wouldn't recommend it overall. If you have a really beat up GBC that no amount of cleaning will save (which was the case for mine), you're better off going on eBay and buying a used shell salvaged from a broken GBC, because I'm pretty sure the third party replacement shell makes the system itself less valuable due to the lower quality.

It was ultimately a waste of a few bucks but it was a good learning experience, and it pointed me in the right direction (buying a used authentic shell). The whole point of this endeavor was to put new life in my childhood GBC that "someone" half destroyed, and you can't really put a price tag on that.
>>
>>3208209
Don't even try to argue with them. Until a moderator updates the sticky, there's always going to be that guy who throws a bitchfit if anything sold after December 31 1999 gets mentioned on this board and announces that they've reported you. The moderators really don't give a shit as long as whatever console you're discussing is 15 years old, so you're best off just ignoring them and letting them have their little meme.
>>
Rad shit.

I kinda wanna get a Gameboy Color in a digital camo pattern, and get it a lit screen.
>>
>>3182804
Is that GBA on the image old electronics beige? Looks really nice. Anyone here collect for handhelds? Is it cheaper than consoles? I want to get into handhelds first because I have fond memories of my game boy color.
>>
>>3182883
2DS and GBA Micro is what you wanna look for if you want non clamshell Nintendo handhelds.
>>
>>3182804
Metroid Fusion on my phone using a GBA emu
>>
>>3209772
Great game, one of the best on it's system.
Though not really retro,yet.
>>
Non-ebay prices for Gameboys/Pockets/Lites/Colors, where should they be at? Looking for the sold listings on ebay for gameboy colors I'm finding 20-40 dollar sold listings. Should I go hunting for one all across the pawn shops and get one for 10-15? What is fair these days? I'm looking to get a color and a gba so I can play the gameboy lineup. Don't wanna start collecting consoles because so many people are buying up the games. Need some idea or great site I need to be looking at to know what prices I should be paying for things all gameboy related.
>>
>>3210620
>What is fair these days?
any amount you feel fine with parting for getting a GB in exchange. For some people that's not even $1, for others even $1000 is being cheap. That's how prices work
>>
>>3210625
But where do other anons usually see them priced at online? If it's common to get them 5-10 bucks at flea markets/pawn shops then I don't want to spend 20-40 bucks on one on ebay. Less money spent on handheld, the more I got for games. Which is what it's all about to me. Trying to find me some Monster Rancher on the GBC and Pokemon TCG on GBC as well.
>>
>>3210651
so it's not worth $20-40 to you? Fair enough. Keep shopping around for a lower price then, or don't. It's not rocket science
>>
Red Alarm for the Virtual Boy was pretty damn fun to me. Some might not like the vector graphics, though.
The soundtrack was pretty good too.
https://youtu.be/VzsKceldpz0
>>
How come there are threads for an entire line of handhelds, from a monochrome 8-bit machine all the way up to a 32bit arm based true color monster and troll bait?
We don't have "Nintendo home console" threads, where NES, SNES, N64 and GCN are all lumped in together, do we?
>>
>>3210689
>We don't have "Nintendo home console" threads, where NES, SNES, N64 and GCN are all lumped in together, do we?
No, but you've just given me a great idea...
>>
>>3210689
because gameboys fucking rock
>>
>>3210689
Mainly the fact that they're all compatible with the previous handheld in their line, have multiple revisions, and they all share a common name.

The consoles do not share that level of similarity to each other, and are only compatible with the previous gen at best.
>>
V.I.P on Gba and Little Nicky on gbc. still playing still laughing
>>
Mega Man V
Lufia: The Legend Returns

Highly recommend both. They're both on the 3DS eShop, too.
>>
>>3182905
Is that Hyankyo alien? thats my fucking shit maine
>>
>>3210683
The general consensus with the Virtual Boy is that most of the games range from decent to very good, but that they're held back by the system itself.

Teleroboxer and Wario Land seem like they'd be among the most fun to play.
>>
>>3182905
>F1 Race

Nice, I always want to find a way to play this and Super RC Pro-Am with 3 other people but no one I know plays Game Boys.

What's a Bivert?

>>3183090
I've contemplated this before. You could make shoulders work but as you said, it may give a bump underneath, unless they were recessed or something.

I would use a spacer for GBA carts myself, just a passthrough that made it tall as a GB cart.
>>
>>3183760
This is one thing I hope to see in future handhelds, backlit screens that play nice with the sun. I'd rather have backlit screens then go back to non-lit or front-lit screens though.
>>
Should I go ahead and get a DMG, Pocket, Light, and Color now beforecollectorfags start to ruin the prices? I'm looking even at ebay prices and it's not too bad, I definitely believe I could get a lot of this locally on the cheap. Already going to get a gba or gba sp to play gameboy/gbc games because I miss the memories of playing amazing gameboy games back in my childhood.
>>
File: m9130round-crate.jpg (52 KB, 664x482) Image search: [Google]
m9130round-crate.jpg
52 KB, 664x482
>>3212359
I can't speak for the Light or DMG, but they made so goddamn many Pockets and Colors we're yet to see anything impact that.

To put a it in perspective, the Mosin Nagant was the standard service rifle of Russia from 1891 (Imperial Russia), to the end of WW2 (Soviet Russia), they made like over 40 million of them.

Decades after this, and with some warmer relations between East and West, Russia started to offload a bunch of their obsolete shit to whoever was buying, Americans were happy to take them, they were old and dated, and there were so goddamn many of them, that in the 1980's, you'd see the basic WW2 ones in gunstores, in barrels, tagged 79USD each, the ammo was cheap too, because they still used that caliber, and would sell off surplus of that, it was mediocre in every way, but as an entrylevel or beater gun, it was popular

In the 2000's and early 2010's, you could still buy them for like 100USD, and ammo was still silly cheap, it's not until recently, when importation of the guns and the ammo has slowed down (due to various political and economical reasons), that they've begun creeping up in price, and even then you can find them for 150-200USD.

Now let's look at the Gameboy, the basic model alone sold 114 Million units, which is ludicrous for any consumer product of any kind, there's enough Gameboys in existence to provide every third American with one. You could build an apartment building using them as bricks and it wouldn't put a dent in the supply

There's no legalities regarding their sale and transport, and it's easy to get a flashcart and have the entire library of the system on one little cartridge, then there's also the Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance, to boot (which most people would settle for, rather than going back to the old green Dot Matrix screens), which will also play it.

I would seriously doubt that you'd see a shortage or significant price-hike of the original model ones in decades, especially with a niche market interest.
>>
>>3212385
Sometimes people charge some silly things for items because they see Nintendo and it's old. The GBA SP is going for 60 bucks used on ebay. The backlit version came out to market for like 80 bucks. And they sold a lot so I have no clue why internet sellers sell for so high...
>>
>>3210914
bruh that game is sweet af
>>
>>3212425
I think that's just because of a trend, that people think they're worth more than they are.

Though on the flip side you could argue that they just hold their value well (also take inflation into account I guess).

The OG Gameboy was always affordable (what was it, 50USD?), you'd be hard pressed to find someone trying to hawk that on you for even that price,
>>
>>3212282
>backlit screens that play nice with the sun
can not exist, thanks to basic physics. At best you can try transflective displays, or combine two independent displays

>I'd rather have backlit screens then go back to non-lit
If you're retarded that's your thing, but please don't ruin shit for sane people
>>
File: wl4.jpg (64 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
wl4.jpg
64 KB, 480x480
This game may just have my most favorite OST of all time.
>>
>>3212501
>lit screens are insane
Pardon?
>>
>>3213371
backlit screens are insane
>>
>>3213373
You're using a backlit screen right now, anon.
>>
>>3213398
I'm also indoors and not on a portable device
>>
>>3213398
that does not change one bit that the concept is insane. There's just a lack of devices not doing it, because too many idiots think that backlighting is the way it's supposed to be, with all the issues it brings with it
>>
File: shirimasen wwww.jpg (261 KB, 600x798) Image search: [Google]
shirimasen wwww.jpg
261 KB, 600x798
I am looking for a (presumably) fighting game I played once/twice as a kid for GBA.

All I remember is that there was a guy who I played a lot, he never used his hands, and only did kicks and jumps. Had a snowboarder theme going on.

The fighting levels weren't like in the classic fighting games, but more like a platformer, think super smash bros.
Appreciate your help.
>>
I have a dslite with a nds flash cart and a gba flash cart. Going to play some old games i never finished as a kid. Mostly gb gbc and gba. Give me a list of must play games. Please
>>
File: 20160515_005155.jpg (135 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
20160515_005155.jpg
135 KB, 853x480
So I am getting ever so closer to modding my ultimate Gameboy Color. This is my childhood GBC, although it was originally in a very beaten and battered purple case, and then a "new" purple case that I wasn't terribly impressed with.

I picked up this authentic kiwi green shell on eBay, and it was in decent shape aside from discolored scuff marks on the front and top, which I sanded away with my fine grit hobby sandpaper. There's a world of difference between a real GBA shell and one of those crappy knockoffs in terms of how solid it feels and how well it fits together.

The plan for the mod is to have an LCD frontlight install + LOCA, a glass screen lens, and a GBAmp3 to make the speaker louder. I'm also going to give the shell a good washing and polish it up with some Pledge.
>>
>>3212686
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi3tbFnW5U
I agree. Too bad it had to be on the gba's shit soundchip : '(
>>
>>3215248
The GBA didn't have a sound chip. All the music was handled by its ARM processor.

Also I can't get these songs out of my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATuPu9472qA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytuiy4O8Ik8
>>
>>3215248
>>3215264
I seriously don't know why Nintendo didn't think the GBA needed a sound chip. It should have just had the same one as the SNES. Maybe they didn't want to buy the sound chip from Sony again because they were still buttmad about the Playstation.

Seriously though, comparing Super Mario World on the SNES to the GBA is kind of sad. It's a great port but the music and sound just plain are not as good as the SNES version, and the GBA is supposed to be more powerful. The GBA's better processor is somewhat squandered by the fact that it needs to do double duty for the system's audio.
>>
>>3215316
There are tons of good SNES ports on it though.
>>
File: 21020_front.jpg (57 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
21020_front.jpg
57 KB, 640x637
>>3214756
Final Fantasy Adventure (aka Mystic Quest aka Seiken Densetsu)
>>
>>3215323
NES, Genesis and Arcade ones too.
>>
>>3215802
>aka Mystic Quest aka Seiken Densetsu
My first and so far only contact with FF was 7 and it was off-putting to the point of me avoiding all other FF games. If it wasn't /vr/ clarifying that FFA isn't an FF, and, unlike FF, actually good, I never would have given it a second thought.
>>
>>3215825
>Ff7 is bad
Watch out we got a badass over here
>>
>>3215889
shall we play "spot the FFtard"? Of all the things said in that post, the comment that FF(7) was boring is the least important passing remark in it. Yet it's the only thing you saw. How terrified are you in your daily life of people having an opinion other than your own?
>>
>>3215135
Good luck on the LOCA glue mod. I watched that done recently. I didn't know about the GBAmp3 mod, I'm going to look that up. My plans for gameboys is to get a gameboy light and a gameboy color and a flash cart so I can play all the games. (Don't care to buy all the games because some games get way too ridiculous in price and no dev is getting paid for sales anymore anyhow...)
>>
File: 1380546216992.gif (811 KB, 253x196) Image search: [Google]
1380546216992.gif
811 KB, 253x196
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Q-Transparent-Blue-Housing-Shell-Case-Cover-Parts-for-Nintendo-Gameboy-Color-GBC-/321894179350
Is this a good replacement housing? I'm tempted to get a GBC off of someone but the shell's quite a bit beat up and the screen lens is a mess (intend to get a glass lens)
>>
File: 8I4vz.jpg (94 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
8I4vz.jpg
94 KB, 720x480
What's it like modifying/rebuilding a Gameboy (Color/Advance) ?
I figure you need to do soldering and fitting, but is it as easy as building a gun from parts?

You probably can't just go to a common store and pick parts from a shelf, but there's like an aftermarket, right?
>>
>>3216251
Reno k101
>>
File: 1460115152320.jpg (18 KB, 258x314) Image search: [Google]
1460115152320.jpg
18 KB, 258x314
>>3216251
>gameboy aftermarket
>>
>>3216281
*Revo
>>
>>3216251
It's easy. It's one of the most moddable handheld lineup there is.
>>
>>3215910
I opted to spring for the more expensive LOCA. Supposedly it's less likely to produce bubbles, and it supposedly cures softer so you can peel it off if you need to do it over. The cheap stuff is basically like superglue and isn't ever coming undone once it's cured. The site also promises "superior clarity" but I'm a bit dubious to that, just because the cheap Loca is already extremely clear from what I understand, but if it is clearer I'll certainly take it.
>>
>>3183723
The PSP's battery was fine. It was the disc drive that tended to eat up the battery, but if you either bought the expanded battery or played games off of the card rather than the disc drive the system would last a great many hours, and each successive iteration improved the battery life as well.

"The visuals were not necessary for such a small screen" is entirely subjective. Every 3D DS game I saw always looked ugly as sin to me, and I never understood how people could tolerate anything other than 2D games and games with very simple 3D effects in addition to sprites.

>the GBA's form factor is poo poo and Sony should have copied the DS

The GBA was the best form factor for a handheld, so Sony was smart to copy it. Many people ended up breaking their DS screens by accident, so the supposed benefit of protecting the screens was kind of null at that point.

>backlit display

On what planet is this a bad thing? NIntendo ended up copying sony and putting one on the DS Lite and DSI. The old TFT calculator-style displays from the original GBA SP and DS Phat were less battery efficient than a modern LCD with a backlight. A modded GBA with an AGS screen gets about 50% more battery life than an unmodded one with no light at all, not to mention that playing without a backlight sucks ass.

If you think the DS was perfect, that's fine, but the PSP was made for people who didn't necessarily like the DS, like me.
>>
>>3183747
The PSP was designed to be played with headphones. The DS was not. Nintendo didn't even think anyone was using headphones on handhelds which is why they took the jack away from the SP, and why they didn't even think to include a sound chip on the GBA. The PSP was the first handheld to offer truly CD-quality sound, and therefore it was actually worth using headphones.

Everything you've said about the PSP has basically been "it should have been the DS." We get it that you love your DS. That doesn't mean the PSP should have been a Sony-branded DS. The PSP was for the high-end user who wanted a higher-fidelity gaming experience when they were away from home, and that's exactly what it offered. The DS was designed to be affordable and simple. That doesn't make either of them "wrong," it just means that there was a section of the market that Nintendo was not satisfying, and Sony capitalized on it in a way that Nintendo didn't think was worth their time or money.
>>
File: mail.jpg (138 KB, 764x1023) Image search: [Google]
mail.jpg
138 KB, 764x1023
>>3212282
The OLED screen on the Vita does this. It's not quite as visible as a non-illuminated TFT, but if the choice is between a slightly washed out image while playing in the sun, or an impossible to see image while indoors, I will take the former and find some shade when I'm outdoors if I'm not happy with the image.

It's a lot easier to put shade over a backlit screen than it is to illuminate a dark screen, and most people are either in the shade or indoors when they are playing games. Contrary to what marketers wanted people to believe, none of the light peripherals for any of the Gameboys worked well.

The closest thing to a "good" light peripheral was the worm light, and that would always leave a big white spot on the screen that just just plain had to ignore, not to mention that it left the corners of the screen looking dark. And the inherent problem with all front illumination is that it will always make the colors look dull and washed out, even if you are playing in the sun. Only a real backlight can give you the kind of vivid colors that you are used to seeing on your TV screen.

Besides all that, I'd rather sit in the shade while I'm gaming than under the sun anyway.
>>
>>3217018
>Many people ended up breaking their DS screens by accident
Took me 12+ years for that to happen.
Honestly, I like having a second screen, there's games where it makes sense.
Thankfully, Nintendo has stopped trying to force it as much as an action feature, and logically relegated it to a screen where you have map, inventory, etc.

In A Link Between Worlds, the touch screen is literally only used to handle your inventory and map, it's a basic convenience, and that's how I like the touch screen being used.
>>
>>3216960
The bubbles isn't just the main issue. It's when you're gonna flip over the screen with the runny LOCA glue that's tricky. Gotta keep reseating it by squirming it around a lot till it takes place in the right spot.
>>
File: 51GCpEnjE%2BL._SL1000_.jpg (48 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
51GCpEnjE%2BL._SL1000_.jpg
48 KB, 1000x1000
>>3217191
I think the more expensive Loca is supposed to be a little less runny, too.

I guess I'll find out soon enough because my stuff is supposed to arrive tomorrow, although moist of the week is supposed to be cloudy and cold / wet. Friday might be my only chance within the next 2 weeks to actually get enough sun to cure the stuff with, so maybe I'm best off just buying a UV oven. They're only $27 on Prime and just the right size for a Gameboy.
>>
>>3217186
Personally I'd rather have just one high quality screen than two low resolution ones, but the second screen was useful in some games. It was at its best when it was used as a quick access inventory / status menu screen, and at its worst when it was being used as a replacement for an analog stick or action buttons. Most action-based uses for the touch controls were somewhat reminiscent of modern phone games, except worse.
>>
How do the GBA SNES ports hold up compared to the originals? Stuff like Super Mario World, DKC2, ALTTP, Contra III, FF6. I'd really just like a pocket SNES with a backlit screen.

>inb4 not retro
Ports of retro games are allowed.
>>
>>3217249
How is the more expensive less runny? Is it how they make it or different compounds? I don't know much about chemistry or manufacturing adhesives. If that is true then you will do fine anon.
>>
>>3217297
worse sound but it's gonna play similar to the old games.
>>3217252
you ever played metroid hunters? i used to play that game online. had to aim with the fucking touch screen and use awkward holding of the ds. game cramped my hands really bad till i got used to it.
>>
>>3217297
Generally speaking, the gameplay, graphics and control are almost always ported over very well. There's often times additional content or features that weren't in the original, too. The downside is that since the Gameboy Advance has no sound chip, they had to compress the audio to hell and back and make other alterations to keep it from draining the GBA's CPU resources. It's kind of a game by game basis, because some games sound better than others.

Generally speaking, SNES ports are a pretty safe bet on the system.
>>
File: quarth.jpg (46 KB, 869x762) Image search: [Google]
quarth.jpg
46 KB, 869x762
Here are my two latest purchases.
Quarth and Cosmotank

Also handlebars are the best accessory. There not the most portable, but still the best.
>>
File: Dragon Quest 2 - The End.jpg (205 KB, 1000x894) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest 2 - The End.jpg
205 KB, 1000x894
>>3217745
Comfy
>>
>>3217745
>>3217869
I don't understand.
Why do your Gameboys hade double-ended dildos on them?
>>
>>3217018
>the GBA's form factor is poo poo
I said Sony just went with an uninspired design instead of using their head. I made no statement on GBA or DS being better form factors, or wanting Sony to copy the DS. The copying is the problem, not the source. It looks lazy.

>On what planet is this a bad thing?
Earth, the one with a couple trillion watts outdoor lighting

>NIntendo ended up putting one on the DS Lite and DSI
I consider it one of their biggest mistakes in recent dev. Makes the DS fairly useless in many situations.

>If you think the DS was perfect
I don't

>the PSP was made for people who didn't necessarily like the DS
No problem with that. It's not a handheld though. It's a living room console for your pocket, and that's a huge problem.

>>3217037
>Everything you've said about the PSP has basically been "it should have been the DS."
If that's what you take from it, you're not a very creative person.

>the PSP should have been a Sony-branded DS
Would have been nice if it was a handheld though

>high-end user
graphics whore that can't grasp the difference between a handheld and a console

>That doesn't make either of them "wrong"
moving drive in a handheld is wrong, no exception. A display that can not handle direct sunlight is wrong. That includes the DS. A battery life below a day is wrong. Hell, below a week is questionable. Loading times are wrong.

>there was a section of the market that Nintendo was not satisfying
yeah, blithering idiots that don't get handheld gaming. They ended up destroying handhelds for everybody. Fuck them.
>>
>>3217060
>It's a lot easier to put shade over a backlit screen than it is to illuminate a dark screen
You have no idea how much energy the sun puts out. And you still rely in that pissy little gadget in your hand to do more than that. That's simply insane.

>most people are either in the shade or indoors when they are playing
cause and effect are mixed up here. You can't play the new shitboxes outside, because they broke them

>that would always leave a big white spot on the screen
We now have plenty of anti-glare options, and front light wedges

>the inherent problem with all front illumination is that it will always make the colors look dull and washed out
questionable

>even if you are playing in the sun
You're not trying to say these two decades old displays are for some reason the pinnacle of frontlit display technology?

>Only a real backlight can give you the kind of vivid colors that you are used to seeing on your TV screen
it also gives you a nice black rectangle in normal lighting conditions

>real backlight
just how retarded are you? There's a couple dozen display technologies out there, so let's use the one most ill-fitted for outdoors ... for outdoors?

>I'd rather sit in the shade while I'm gaming than under the sun anyway
The GBC's display works best on an overcast day. Direct sunlight makes the screen too bright
>>
>>3217959
>the PSP is not a handheld because I can't see the screen when I'm standing in the middle of the Arizona Desert

Bullshit. It fits in your pocket and is small and light enough to hold in your hand. I could understand you making this argument for the Sega Nomad but the PSP is objectively a handheld and is roughly the same size as the DS. I played mine everywhere-- in between classes at school, on lunch break from work, on car, plane, and train rides, in the park, etc.

Maybe if you live in the middle of the desert and there are no trees or buildings I could see why the presence of a backlight would seem like a legitimate complaint, but for 90% of the first world this is a non-issue. Why do you think a backlight is the most popular mod for the Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket? Do you think that the people doing those mods are just a bunch of masochists who want to ruin a "perfectly good" handheld by turning it into "a home console that fits in their pocket?"

Your arguments are just plain stupid and are extremely specific to your particular tastes. 99% of customers would rather have a fully backlit screen than a TFT reflective screen, which is why Nintendo has completely abandoned TFT.
>>
>>3217980
>it also gives you a nice black rectangle in normal lighting conditions
At this point I'm convinced you are a sandnigger. Are you with ISIS?
>>
File: 23724752458.jpg (11 KB, 240x261) Image search: [Google]
23724752458.jpg
11 KB, 240x261
Can anyone explain to me why both the Gameshark and Action Replay for the Gameboy Advance are so expensive on eBay? I've never had to pay more than $15 for a used cheat cartridge before but with the GBA, you're lucky to get one for $50.
>>
>tfw had a gamelink cable with GB/CGB links on both ends
>even matched the color of my CGB (teal)
>let a kid at school borrow it for a weekend
>never got it back
>gave me a shitty trasparent yellow link cable instead
>no GB link on the end just CGB

still pissed to this day

one more that i will never let down

>be 2005 high school
>minor pokemon revival for some reason
>let a guy borrow my pokemon gold for a weekend
>never got it back

i fucking loved Gold, because of the beautful color palette. and now I've yet to find it for a good price

hell it can be scratched to shit, or in a blank case, i dont care, i just want to play it..
>>
>>3217060
>Worm Light
Ahh, memories.
>>
>>3217980
Do you live in death valley?
You almost never could play any system with sunlight right on the screen.
>>
>>3218138
I remember beating gold. It was a good pokemon game. I think that game and yellow were the pokemon games I remember beating. I forget these days desu. I just know as a kid I usually for some reason beat the gameboy games and had shit loads of snes and n64 games that i just played and never beat
>>
Dragon Warrior Monsters -> playing it again on my windows phone (yeah I know).

I own the cart, but the SP I bought is trash and I don't have a super gameboy player
>>
>>3218154
Did those things even work well at all?
>>
File: FOZDAFIGLK0O1Q2.LARGE.jpg (52 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FOZDAFIGLK0O1Q2.LARGE.jpg
52 KB, 1024x768
>>3220103
They worked, although "well" is a relative term. Pretty much every other option at the time was garbage, and then along came the worm light with its adjustable stem and brilliantly bright white LED.

Playing a Gameboy Color indoors was always a shitty experience. The worm light at least made it less shitty though, so back then it was a must-have accessory. These days your best bet is a front-light mod with LOCA (or better yet, a front light salvaged from a GBA SP) because that's pretty much the best that the Gameboy Color's screen is ever going to look.

I'm going to install the LOCA screen mod this week. I bought the LOCA that's supposed to be reversible, so maybe I'll try the SP light mod someday since people say it looks better. Regular Gameboy Advance SP screens go for pretty cheap these days because people only want the AGS 101 model, though that could potentially change if lots of people start wanting to mod their GBC units. I'll have to see how I feel about the aftermarket light once it's installed, because I have an SP to compare it to.
>>
File: collage-example_zps4e0424b6.png (1 MB, 1024x767) Image search: [Google]
collage-example_zps4e0424b6.png
1 MB, 1024x767
>>3220710
Here's a comparison picture of the Osaka LOCA screen mod in comparison to a GBA SP front light. I think the people complaining that the LOCA screen mod doesn't look anywehre clear as the SP mod might have used that cheap LOCA that you find on eBay for $5, because they look pretty close here.
>>
>>3182804
I am indeed playing pokemon yellow on my gb and gba using my everdrive gb.

It's a bit of a weird one as it seems to think pikachu is a good starter and won't let you evolve him. Had to grind a lot to fight brock :(

Also Lt. Surge only has raichu? My raticate one-shotted it with dig. Bit of an anticlimax. Still I'm mainly playing it so I can transfer my pokemon from red to sun and moon.
>>
>>3220893
It's possible to evolve your starter Pikachu into Raichu but the only way to do it is by trading him to a "friend," (or just a spare gameboy running another copy of Pokemon), evolving him and then trading him back. As far as your "friend's" copy of the game is concerned, it's just another Pikachu.

Of course, since Yellow Version was a tie-in with the Pokemon TV show, they had a lot of special features built around the starter Pikachu that would no longer be accessible once he's evolved, but unless Pikachu is your favorite it's not really something most people would lose sleep over.
>>
File: IMG.jpg (306 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
306 KB, 1000x600
Got myself a backlight modded GBA and an Everdrive. Feels good.
>>
>>3221262
Looks great. I have a backlight kit arriving in the mail in a few days. Those things are getting damn expensive these days but I wanted to get something nice as a graduation gift to myself. I'll probably get an EZflash for it once I get paid but for now I've just been rebuilding my cartridge collection.

It's frustrating because I had copies of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and Metroid Zero Mission, and I can't remember if I forgetfully loaned them out or misplaced them in my own home. I'll have to ask my brother if he has them, because I'd rather get them back than buy new copies.

Even though a flash cart makes the most sense in this day and age I do have some sentiment about owning cartridges, however silly it might be.
>>
>>3221286
I know that feeling. I lost my own copy of Zero Mission a few years back. I hear krikzz is working on a gba everdrive, so that's something to look forward to.
>>
File: 1463102660423.gif (2 MB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
1463102660423.gif
2 MB, 500x525
>>3221262
I've never actually seen an original GBA with a lit screen, that's pretty cool.

Does it have a rechargable battery like the SP, so you can just plug it into the wall?

I gotta say, it'd be sick to have a GBA like that with a flashcart loaded with all the cool Color and Advance games.
And of course some of the older classics too.

How's GBA flashcarts work, do they have an internal battery to run the clock in the pokémon games? Can multiple games share one battery without interfering with each other?
>>
>>3221291
what features would there be in an everdrive that you can't have on the real cheap stuff like ezflash? real time saving, maybe?
>>3221331
iirc, you would need one flashcart for gba and another one for gbc.
>>
>>3221331
>Does it have a rechargable battery
Nope, I use rechargeable AA's.
>it'd be sick to have a GBA like that with a flashcart loaded with all the cool Color and Advance games
You need separate flash carts to play GBC and GBA games. A GBA flashcart can't play GBC games for some hardware specific reasons.
>How's GBA flashcarts work, do they have an internal battery to run the clock in the pokémon games?
Not any flashcarts currently available. Krikzz, the guy who makes the Everdrives, is working a GBA flashcart that has RTC. Don't know when it's gonna be released.
>>
>>3221351
I'm pretty sure EZ Flash doesn't have a real time clock, so with things like Pokemon ROMs you're basically forced to play it with a dead battery which means clock-related features don't work. Everdrive is supposed to have a built in clock.
>>
File: image.jpg (590 KB, 2323x1469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
590 KB, 2323x1469
>>3221353
>A GBA flashcart can't play GBC games for some hardware specific reasons.
Odd, I must be a wizard.

GBA carts can emulate GB/C games pretty good. All the games I've tried I've not had an issue.
>>
>>3221746
>emulate
What is the point of that?
>>
>>3221749
To play the games?
>>
>>3221752
Look at this faggot playing his girly games. Man up and play football like the rest of us.
>>
>>3221752
You might as well emulate on a computer or use a modded psp if you want it on the go at that point. The point of owning a gba is to play the software on the actual hardware.
>>
>>3221805
>The point of owning a gba is to play the software on the actual hardware.
Says you.

Also the GBA Micro is more compact than the PSP, which might be his goal, the GBA Micro also not being inherently able to play Color or original games without some emulator.
>>
How would you people say the GBA port of A Link To The Past compares to the original SNES game? I thought it was pretty awesome to have one of my favorite SNES games in my pocket and on vacations
>>
>>3221286
>graduation gift to myself
Congratulations, anon.
I'd give you a gift if I weren't yet another selfish human being.
>>
>>3223286
The addition of prepubescent screaming every time you swing your sword was an irritating and unnecessary addition, but overall it's a very good port. And even with the GBA's lack of an audio chip, they managed to capture the sound of the original game's music pretty well.
>>
>>3207612
Nice pickup, man. Those are some A class games.
>>
>>3223437
>prepubescent screaming
My favorite kind of screaming.
>>
>>3223437
>>3223873
I hear people complain about it, but to be frank, it never really bothered me that much.

When I first played it, I thought "Neat." then I never really paid it much mind.
The thing is, when I go back to the original on the SNES, I now miss it, it's not the same without the yelling.
>>
>>3182883
Nintendo! Great games and awful hardware since 1996
>>
>>3183723
>>A:this thing is worse than that thing!
>>B:back that up with facts?
>>A:OPINIONS ABOUND
>>
>>3223935
SP was gr8 m8.
Gamecube was good too.

Enjoying my 3DS fine so far (but I also never use the 3D feature).
My only real complaint is that the circle pad is too smooth, so if you get the slightest bit of sweat build up, you'll get a less positive grip on it, and this is something which would be just oh so easy to remedy with a tiny design change.
>>
>>3221238
Yeah I'm not doing that.

Partially because it's a hassle, but also because I already have a level 100 Raichu on my red cartridge called Nobby, and Cup is not Nobby. He is a pale imitation.
>>
File: virtual-boy-collection-colorful.jpg (476 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
virtual-boy-collection-colorful.jpg
476 KB, 1200x627
Am I the only one that feels the Virtual Boy deserves more love than it ever got?

It may have a super small library, but almost all games rang from good to excellent.

Virtual Boy Wario Land
Teleroboxer
Vertical Force
Red Alarm
Bound High
Innsmouth No Yakata
Space Squash
3D Tetris

All of those are wonderful.
Do you think it would've fared better if Nintendo finished that Mario game?
>>
>>3224021
I think it would maybe could have fared better as a peripheral to the SNES or N64 or something, make the N64 pull the processing weight and shit.

Though I think it actually has quite a few cool games, it was ultimately too ahead of it's time, it's only now that VR is really going places.
>>
>>3224021
If it had a larger library than 14 games then yes it would get more love than it did.
>>
>>3223935
ninty has always had awful hardware, familia

>NES
>sprite flicker

>SNES
>3mhz cpu
>>
>>3224021
I think they should have shipped the link cable with teleroboxer.
>>
I've been doing some Gameboy mods today. I finally got my AGS 101 kit in today and now the junker GBA I bought for $12 on eBay is all housed up in a pretty new shell that matches with my custom Viper GC modded Gamecube. The screen doesn't photograph that well in outdoor daylight but it looks absolutely beautiful in person. I'll be posting an indoor pic shortly.
>>
File: link to the past gba.jpg (501 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
link to the past gba.jpg
501 KB, 1080x1080
>>3225575
Overall I must say this mod is about as close as I will ever get to a "perfect" GBA. It requires a bit of patience to actually do because nothing quite feels like it's going to fit together right until it's all screwed together, and I had to take it apart once or twice to align the screen correctly, but it was absolutely worth the effort. Having a Dremel was definitely key to getting the housing / shell modifications done.
>>
>>3223998
>SP
>uncomfy as fuck
>mushy buttons
>frontlit washed out as fuck
>backlit has oversaturated colors and shitty 50 hz refresh rate
>>
File: 20160519_004825.jpg (264 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160519_004825.jpg
264 KB, 1080x1080
>>3225582
Lastly, I'm modding two Gameboy Colors with front light kits. I've never used LOCA before but I followed the tutorials on Youtube as best as I could, and I also turned the light on while the LOCA was still wet to check for bubbles. I am using Osaka 7 and I didn't get any bubbles at all, from what I could see. It's currently "baking" in the cheap UV "oven" I bought off of Amazon. I'm baking it for an hour just to be safe, and it's got bout 30 minutes to go. If it looks at all distorted in this pic that's because the protective film is still on the exterior side.
>>
>>3225584
I never had a problem with the buttons feeling mushy-- mine had a distinct tactile click that felt a lot more definite than the original GBA. I really hated the ergonomics of the system though, and the light was a bit underwhelming. I remember we all thought the SP was the shit when it came out because it looked like a phone, and for a moment we all thought we looked like adults when we were playing Gameboy.

The SP was form over function. Whereas the GBA fat felt like a real game controller in the hand, the SP was an uncomfortable plastic square with some game buttons on it. It basically felt like playing games on a flip phone except a little better. The best GBA is hands down a modded AGB 001 with an AGS 101 screen. It's basically what we all thought the GBA was going to be before we actually got ours.
>>
>>3225592
what's with all the hardware gore? This is a blue board
>>
>>3225598
Micro is best.
Clicky buttons
Form factor that anyone will find comfy
60 hz refresh rate
Perfect pixel density
Perfect colors
Native headphone support

Obviously it's not so great if you need backward compatibility, but for GBA games it can't be beat.
>>
File: dda.jpg (30 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
dda.jpg
30 KB, 280x280
GBA was the last bastion of belt scrollers before the genre died off for good.
>>
>>3226546
We still get them though thanks to digital distribution for small-budget games
>>
Where would the best place to buy a AGS101 sp for a eurofag?
>>
>>3226802
/v/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 95

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.