[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of Sega Genesis do you have /vr/? http://www.sega
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: sega genesis.png (563 KB, 800x488) Image search: [Google]
sega genesis.png
563 KB, 800x488
What kind of Sega Genesis do you have /vr/?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsfrwmsbaI
>>
Never had one but I hear/read the first model pictured there is objectively the best. So if I were to buy one, I'd look for that model.
>>
>>3209692
>have
I emulate now. But my first Genesis was a model 2 that I got for my birthday in '92.
>>
File: sonic pondering.webm (520 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
sonic pondering.webm
520 KB, 320x240
Could this actually play on a Genesis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpj_fN9k91g
>>
Hi Def TMSS machine. The iconic model imo. And the tmss does not bother me a bit.
>>
>>3209753
TMSS models are a shot in the dark when it comes to audio quality though. Didn't even know Hi Def TMSS models were a thing.
>>
>>3209692
TMSS HD Graphics Model 1 (VA6 according to the link) and small motherboard Model 2 (VA3).

Since this seems like a good thread to ask, there is a significant amount of static noise coming from the headphone jack of my Model 1. I am using the correct official Sega power supply.

Any way to reduce this noise or will it always be there?
>>
>>3209802
It depends, can you describe this noise? Is it as noticeable on the AV outputs?
>>
>>3209805
It's static noise, similar to the sound that plays when there's "snow" on your TV. It's not terribly loud but I am able to hear it all throughout while playing. Not noticeable at all when using AV output.

I guess it's not a terrible deal if I can't fix it since plugging headphones in with an RCA converter into the AV cord, but it would be nice just to stick it in to the front and use the built in volume slider.
>>
File: DSCN0723.jpg (462 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0723.jpg
462 KB, 1600x1200
VA3 model 2
>>
>>3209745
Depends on how the song was made, if it was made in VGM Music Maker you can play the VGM on real hardware via flashcart.

also I'm glad you liked the webm I made
>>
File: check, m8.jpg (557 KB, 2048x1538) Image search: [Google]
check, m8.jpg
557 KB, 2048x1538
>>3209692
>What kind of Sega Genesis do you have /vr/?

I have several Mega Drives.
>>
Model 1 HI DEF non-TMSS VA3.

Kinda busy lately, but once I get the time I'm gonna finish re-capping it, run the headphone jack to some new stereo audio jacks in the back, add in S-video, and possibly upgrade the video encoder if I'm not happy with the video quality. Just finished replacing all components besides the transformer itself in the power brick, and cleaned the PCB and replaced the conductive pads in my 6-button controller. Barring one of the major components burning out on me, I think I can expect years of gaming out of this system.

I heard sound quality on these early models is as good as it gets, but I'm still tempted to go with the MegaAMP mod. Has anyone here done it and have an opinion to share?
>>
>>3209868
What kind of a monster would throw a Sega Genesis into the trash?
>>
>>3209692
2 and 3
>>
Either a VA4 or 5 model 1, It's hard to tell.

>>3209745
Probably. You'd have to simplify it a bit if you wanted sound effects in the game at the same time, though.
>>
Model 1 with VA6 motherboard revision. I also have a model 2 but that's on the other side of the country right now, so I'm make a safe bet and assume the shitty one.
>>
>MegaDrive II

>*no information yet*

Well, that answered all my questions.
>>
>>3210368
>I heard sound quality on these early models is as good as it gets, but I'm still tempted to go with the MegaAMP mod. Has anyone here done it and have an opinion to share?

I did the MegaAMP on a Genesis Model 2 VA1 and I can say the sound quality improved like 5 fold. So it definitely works. In theory, it should sound better than any other model because Mega AMP doesn't suffer from high frequency distortion like some Model 1s do, and the Model 2 DAC is actually better than the Model 1 DAC.

That being said, the only caveat is the guy who designed MegaAMP (Ace) gets extremely angry whenever people install his mod on early Genesis consoles like your own that already have decent sound quality. He thinks they should be left alone, and won't provide support to anybody doing so.

>>3210457
Mega Drive II should be exactly the same as Genesis Model 2. The only difference I think is that there were no Model 2 PAL systems with motherboards newer than VA1.8. So they all have bad sound quality.
>>
Mine's a non-TMSS High Def Graphics model 1. I have no idea what motherboard revision it has, but mine is the one that came bundled with Altered Beast. It sounds great and I always hook it up through RGB so video is no issue. I used to hook it up through RF back in the day, man I had no idea what I was missing out on.
>>
File: 1444804771163.gif (495 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1444804771163.gif
495 KB, 500x375
>>3210475
>the guy who designed MegaAMP (Ace) gets extremely angry whenever people install his mod on early Genesis consoles
what the fuck
>>
NTSC-J Model 1 Mega Drive with VA7 motherboard. So, "bad" sound quality and no "AV Intelligent Terminal High Grade Multipurpose Use" on it.
I'm going to MegaAMP mod it soon, need to learn how to desolder SMD stuff properly on some spare boards.
>>
>>3210402
it was a joke pic i took in response to the perpetual snes vs genesis sound it was a clean trashbag with cardboard in it, I am playing sonic 3 and Knuckles right now.
>>
>>3210475
>That being said, the only caveat is the guy who designed MegaAMP (Ace) gets extremely angry whenever people install his mod on early Genesis consoles like your own that already have decent sound quality. He thinks they should be left alone, and won't provide support to anybody doing so.
>Sample Set 7
>Console used: VA3 Genesis Model 1
I might be OK, maybe? Gonna download the sound samples so I can compare and see if it's worth the effort. Lucky for me he has them for both a stock VA3 model 1 and a modded VA3 model 1.
>>
I don't know. I have like 6 of them. 7 if you count the X'Eye.
>>
Model 1 non TMSS. Best sound and no copyright screen on boot up duck yeah. That being said getting stereo from the headphone jack is kinda annoying. Any anons ever do the stereo mod on a model 1 Genesis? Easy to do? Worth it?
>>
>>3209692
Does a cheap-o chinese "16-bit SUPER GAME 3" clone counts? It has 3 in the title, same as the Genesis 3
>>
>>3210992
see >>3210838
>>
>>3210998
That's just a splitter that gives you dual mono...
>>
>>3211008
No? Of course it splits stereo into the two individual channels, why the hell would it give you dual mono if it's splitting something?
>>
Does the sound of the genesis really matter when you have it hooked into a Sega CD anyway? Model 1 TMSS here, my bro bought it used back in '93 or so.
>>
>>3211018
Yes. Because the Sega CD just mixes the FM sent by the Genesis. If it sounds crummy on the Genesis it'll sound crummy when it gets mixed in.

But since you've got a TMSS in your case the sound should be pretty good.
>>
>>3209692
I don't have one anymore but I believe when I lived with my uncle I had a Model 2.
>>
>>3210992
>Any anons ever do the stereo mod on a model 1 Genesis? Easy to do? Worth it?
I did this one. It's pretty simple, just solder to a few joints.
http://retrorgb.com/genesisaudiomod.html

I got my genesis from a thrift store. The headphone jack was very static-y. I think the volume slider had a ton of dirt in it and caused issues, or something.

Anyway, the stereo mod fixed that. It sounds much more clear than from the headphone jack.
>>
>>3211010
See
>>3211391
>>
>>3211010
The only part of the model one that outputs stereo is from the headphone jack. Adding a Y splitter to the audio portion of back jack just gives you mono from both speakers.
>>
Im gonna just put my question here since this seems like the right place.
Wheres the best place to snag an official model 1 psu? The one I bought came with a shitty 2in1 cord that makes the colors and sound funky. Also I've read that jaguar psus work with the model 1 well, can any one confirm this?
>>
>>3211535
Model 1 uses a standard 2.1 mm barrel jack, so any old DC power supply that supplies 9 volts, 1.2 Amps will do. Many game machines use this connecter, but make sure it provides the correct voltage/current.

If you're paranoid just buy an official Sega one.
http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/How_which_do_i_need_SEGA_AC_Power_Supply_Information_Specs_Model_mk-3025_mk-1602_mk-2103_mk-1479_mk-4122_aa-s95j.html

And WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T FUCKING PLUG IN AN NES PSU INTO A GENESIS. So many retarded kids have broken their Gennys/Master Systems like this.
>>
File: IMG_0229.jpg (119 KB, 1077x709) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0229.jpg
119 KB, 1077x709
>>3210992
>stereo mod
If you're lazy like me and ok with a cable sticking out the front, you might as well get one of these.
>>
>>3209692
I grew up with and currently own a model 2.
>>
>>3211405
And of course you would need a 3.5mm jack for getting audio from the back of the console you dingus.

>>3211397
He had static problems, >>3210992 doesn't.

>>3211797 is the logic RGB thing to do.
>>
>>3211896
It still makes sense to do the mod because the headphone jack is infamously terrible and goes bad quite often.
>>
>>3211901
I'm not entirely sure of what makes it "go bad" if it ever does, but I've had a fair share of hissing in some of my recordings, which comes up sporadically and then just stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzD97dSqBnk 0:06

I think it can be investigated, still not worth to add a separate output in my opinion.
>>
File: SDC11152.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
SDC11152.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>3209692
I have first model HDG with TMSS. VA6

I modded it with S-Video in 2012. Bought it from CL for about $15 with two controllers and Mortal kombat tossed in
>>
I mainly play on my X'Eye
>>
>>3211721
On what this guy says, make sure you have the right polarity on your plug as well. Should say on the brick if the inside is negative or positive.
>>
Model 2 VA 1.8
Model 2 VA 3

Audio sounds really good on the VA 3 but video looks much better on the VA 1.8
>>
I've got model 2 VA1.8 from Christmas 94... Was a SNES kid mainly anyways.
>>
>>3210442
So it could easily be a title theme or credits theme, then
>>
>>3209871
What's it from, by the way? Nick Arcade or something?
>>
>>3212921
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELntpfVc-_o
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.