[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many retro games can you own without being a collector?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6
File: gamer.jpg (363 KB, 692x1037) Image search: [Google]
gamer.jpg
363 KB, 692x1037
How many retro games can you own without being a collector?
>>
>>3204338
a collector is a faggot who buys games solely for bragging rights and doesnt play 90% of the games they buy
>>
>>3204338
It's less about the amount but the time frame and intent.
>>
>>3204373
The guy at the local brick and mortar asked me if I was a collecter when I was buying like a dozen games, I was hurt, I'm gonna play all that shit (eventually)
>>
>>3204373
This. As long as you play all the games then you're not a collector.

Also one copy of each game you own, maybe a second copy of your favorite game that you can't live without, but maybe that's pushing it. You don't need 4 copies of Zelda and 3 copies of Zelda II like the faggot in your pic.
>>
>>3204373

Stay mad ho
>>
>>3204485
IKTFB I've gotten familiar with one vendor at this game exchange I got to every couple of months. I always end up buying something - usually a NES game or two - from him, and every time he sees me he would ask how my collection was coming along. Eventually I had to make it clear I'm not in it to collect, and that I play what I buy.
>>
File: gaming-hipster1[1].jpg (91 KB, 800x794) Image search: [Google]
gaming-hipster1[1].jpg
91 KB, 800x794
ITT: "Collector" becomes a dirty word
>I'm not a collector, I'm an ENTHUSIAST
>>
>>3204373
/thread. If you're actually playing the games you buy, then you're not a collector.
>>
>>3204590
In THIS thread? That ship sailed long ago.
>>
>>3204582
Yeah but be honest with yourself, how large is your backlog now?
>>
>>3204338
Sooo
Is "collector" kind of like "feminist" now?

Because if you own a bunch of games, you have a collection and are a collector in a way.
>>
>>3204606
i own a bunch of socks, do i collect socks? retard.
>>
I don't know. I really don't have any problem with collectors (mainly because I am one myself), but more of a problem with motivations. If you are collecting for e-cred, as a financial investment, to be just like your YouTube heroes, or just because you're following a fad in general, then I guess I don't have as much respect for your collection and view you more as a poser than someone who collects simply because they enjoy playing games and obtaining gaming history. Sure, people can collect for whatever reason they wish, but I'm sure as fuck not interested in discussing collections with some guy who is buying games because just they want to double their money in five years and will sell off as soon as it looks like the market is weakening or some better, trendier opportunity comes along.
>>
>>3204596
Not that guy but: I have a backlog of Steam games and ROMs and burned discs too, I don't think you could say I'm collecting them though.

>>3204590
If anything being a "collector" seems sort of dignified compared to buying old toys to play with, but I yam wot I yam.
>>
>>3204616
Yeah but there isn't a limited supply of Steam games, so buying up a whole bunch of them won't deprive someone else of them, nor will it raise the price of PC games as a whole.
>>
I was the OP a couple months back of basically the same topic, except I worded it differently. I asked how many games could you own before /vr/ considered you an autist. I seem to recall 20-30 being the most common answer.
>>
>>3204615
This, /thread.
>>
>>3204615
Wait, people (older than 12) actually collect that TubeHeroes shit?
>>
>>3204616
Being dignified is for faggots now, as I'm sure you're aware.
>>
>>3204338
>>3204696
After about 20-30 games for a console you're just digging into shit.
>>
>>3205078
wait is it 20-30 per console or 20-30 total? cuz if you have 20-30 per console and 5 consoles i feel that is collector territory
>>
>>3205282
Depends on the console. Some only have like 5 games really worth owning.
But 20-30 games for 5 different consoles. Only like 100 games.

Personally I keep myself well under 50 games.
>>
>>3204373
Why not both?

I play (or have played) every game I own, but I do like to get boxes/manuals to go alongside the games I play. So I am a collector, but that doesn't mean I don't play my games
>>
>>3204696
>>3205282
>>3205303
50-100 games is practically nothing. I know normies that avoid 4chan like the plague, and they have double that. I call bullshit, because I've seen dozens of video game museums floating around here and /v/.
>>
>>3207145
Per console. Try reading.
>>
File: IMG_8904.jpg (736 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8904.jpg
736 KB, 667x1000
Cant be a proper neet without a game collection.
Post that shit anons.
i'm sure most of yall have way more than me
>>
I only collect Gamecube and Wii games.
I used a hacked Wii for SNES, NES, Genesis and Turbografx, and the pc for PS1 and PS2.
>>
1. If you own Earthbound, you're a collector.
>>
File: Collection.jpg (307 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Collection.jpg
307 KB, 1200x900
I'm already overwhelmed with my collection, I'm running out of room.
>>
>>3205303
Your math

>But 20-30 games for 5 different consoles. Only like 100 games.

Which literally translates to I have 100 games, divided between 5 systems, at about 20 games each. You said nothing about an upper number of total games.
>>
>>3207305
You seem autistic and take numbers as absolutes. Poor reading comprehension also.
>>
>>3207314
>autistic
>reading comprehension

You need to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>3207317
I sure did guess that right.

Don't they have pills for your disease?
>>
>>3207321
>take your pills

Do you have a fucking point, or are you just going to spout buzzwords all night?
>>
>>3207331
>buzzwords
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>>3207283
But I got my copy of Earthbound when it first came out,does that my me a collector?
>>
>>3207336
Elaborate.
>>
>>3207283
I rented EB practically every weekend in middle school, and it's one of the most important vidya experiences I had. I bought it for release price in 06, and never looked back.

In other words, eat your own words.
>>
>>3207337
Yes. Don't you know how /vr/ works? Owning Earthbound, regardless of when you actually acquired it, instantly makes you bandwagonning hipster collector scum.
>>
>>3207337
>>3207349
Spot the bandwagon collector.
"I had it before it was cool"
>>
>>3207375
That's retarded. I literally played it as a child. How could I now be a bandwagonner?
>>
>>3207382
I was posting on /vr/ when you were just a diaper. That's how I know you're a bandwagoner. People don't realize how much 4chan has changed in the past two decades
>>
>>3207382
"Really guys. I bought it new and ignored all the shit reviews. Truly a hidden gem".
>>
>>3207389
You don't know my age, you literal retard.

>>3207391
You missed the whole point. I didn't buy it as a child, I rented it. I later bought it because I loved it.
>>
>>3207398
>you literal retard
I love how the /v/children can't go much more than 3 posts before dropping one of their dank memes.
>>
I think you people getting defensive that just owning Earthbound making you a collector is proof that being a collector has a negative connotation here.
>>
>>3207405
Do you? Do you really love it? Do you also try to seem above other people and what they say by calling them "cute" or "amusing" or "adorable" ? Because that's stupid teenage girl behavior and /vr/ isn't the place for girls.
>>
File: 1457648419520s.jpg (2 KB, 102x125) Image search: [Google]
1457648419520s.jpg
2 KB, 102x125
>>3207283
>tfw you didn't fall for the earthbound meme
>>
>>3207413
That's some hardcore projection and teenage angst.
>>
>>3207420
Learn what projecting is. The way you behave and write is very similar to a stupid girl who just found out about sarcasm, so I was wondering if you actually are one, or are a full grown retarded man who needs to start acting right.

>teenage angst
do you just say things and hope people don't call you on it, or what? Every fucking thing you say is stupid.
>>
>>3207412
On /vr/ collector seems to have the same connotation as hipster and reseller. It's treated as someone who doesn't play games and is taking your precious videogames from you while raising prices.

Which is ridiculous because you can collect out of a genuine passion for the hobby and collect just to check games off a list and impress your friends.
>>
>>3207426
>sarcasm
Good attempt at strawmaning though.
>>
>>3207427
>owning a lot of stuff is a hobby
>>
>>3207430
By hobby I was referring to gaming in general.
People like to get shit for systems they're attached to. There's nothing weird or wrong about that.

I get all the albums of a music artist I like and buy a lot of books for authors I like. How are videogames any different besides the faux-nerd association they get these days?
>>
>>3207442
That's normal to you? Because just randomly buying shit you have no interest in acutely using isn't normal. Borders on hording.
>>
the difference between collectors and hoarders is that collectors put their stuff on cheap walmart shelves
>>
>>3207452
This is the part I don't get. Why does collecting something mean you're not using any of it? If you've collected every season of a tv show and watched through the whole thing three or four times are you still a hoarder, or just someone passionate about that show?

There's a difference between buying every Zelda game because you like Zelda and grabbing every rare auction you see on ebay to throw on your shelf and never open, but I'd still call both of those "collecting." They're both owning a bunch of shit.
>>
>>3207427
>is taking your precious videogames from you while raising prices.
While the majority of /vr/ emulates or uses flashcarts and still proceeds to bitch about those said prices
>>
>4 images
This board is useless
Post some fucking collections before i get real mad
>>
>>3207506
>Posting collections in a thread arguing about them
Make a separate one for it. It'll go better.
>>
if you own 3 or more sealed games you are a collector
>>
>>3208104
if you own any sealed games you're a collector, players play the games
>>
>>3207506
here was mine from my childhood
>>3204646
>>
if you spend more than $100 on a game you are a collector
>>
>>3204338
>High Tier
Keeping your games in a bin, box or container for easy access/sorting
>Mid Tier
Keeping your games on a shelf or near your systems, horizontally
>Shit hipster fag collector tier
Having a dedicated shelf for your retro games where they are proudly displayed, along with cardboard boxes and stacked vertically so that they're a bitch to get at
>>
>>3210526
So buying the new Battlefront and the $60 map pack makes you a collector?
>>
>>3207389
/vr/ has only been around since fucking 2012
>>
>>3211001
What if I keep my shit in my closet and just organize everything purely for convenience
>>
>>3211041
/vr/s already been around for 4 years?
It still feels like a new board to me.
>>
>>3207291
>no results on google
what the hell is wrong with you
>>
I have 2000 games and play them regularly, BUT IM NOT A COLLECTOR!!!#!

I sell my doubles and trade off games from time to time and love hunting for games, BUT IM NOT A RESELLER!!!!!!!

You fags are stupid.
>>
if u own a turbo u are a collector
>>
/vr/'s definition:

"However many video games I own plus one."
>>
If you have ever touched a video game at any point in your life, you're a collector.
>>
File: poop on a pedestal.jpg (208 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
poop on a pedestal.jpg
208 KB, 1000x750
>>3204338
If you buy games because you want to play them on real hardware and have played all of your games at some point then no you are not a collector. Now if you are the kind of person that has Nintendo World Championships as well as own a shit ton of other games that you would never play and shit like that then yes you are a collector.
>>
if you buy a game and don't play it more than 5 minutes that week you are a collector
>>
What do you call it if you've tested all your games to make sure they're working and assume you're going to play through them at some point, but haven't?
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.