[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Sonic the Hedgehog for GBA a good port?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: gba_sonic.jpg (51 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gba_sonic.jpg
51 KB, 300x300
Playing Pic related ....

Is Sonic for GBA true to the original? The movement feels very stiff. Did Sonic 1 not have momentum like Sonic 3&K did?

Sonic Advance for the GBA maintained the original's sense of momentum, because it was a port of the original Sonic Pocket Adventure engine.

Sonic Advance 2 for the GBA had stiff movement and no momentum, because it was a ground-up reworking based around the GBA exclusive Hedgehog engine.

What about Sonic the Hedgehog? Am I wasting my time?
>>
No
Don't play it
Throw it in the bin

GBA is not /vr/
Play the originals
>>
>>3113948
>because it was a port of the original Sonic Pocket Adventure engine.
Nice info you just pulled out of your ass.
>>
File: 1458336453296.png (659 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458336453296.png
659 KB, 1920x1080
>because it was a port of the original Sonic Pocket Adventure engine.

u fucking wot, m8? You know you can just emulate it to find out that A. It's absolute shit and B. that it's not a port of Pocket Adventure. Also,

>GBA
Not retro. I'd say take it to >>>/v/, but you're hardly gonna have any better luck there.
>>
>>3113948
never played this version my self but it is unanimously criticized for being a bad broken port of the original. i hear there are new glitches in this version that basically break the game from being beaten.
>>
>>3113948
How could the GBA handle BLAST PROCESSING? I thought that was exclusive to the Sega Genesis.
>>
>>3114097
the GBA should explode from the sheer power
>>
File: 1353707106091.jpg (128 KB, 816x832) Image search: [Google]
1353707106091.jpg
128 KB, 816x832
>>3113948
>>
No, play them on a real Genesis.
>>
It's a bad version of this game. It's weird how the GBA handled so well the games on Sega Arcade Gallery (Super Hang On, Outrun, Afterburner and Space Harrier) but then we have one of the worst versions for a Sonic game. Losing the original code didn't helped also
>>
>>3113948
It's one of the worst ports ever created
>>
It's pretty funny that a romhacker managed to put the entirety of SEGA to shame by using reverse engineered code to make a decent port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFwxF-7vSrQ
>>
>>3113948
>>3112752
>>
>>3115543
I've been saying there's a subtle form of spamming going on, glad to see someone else is noticing it.
>>
>>3113948
Lot of rubbish non-answers in this thread, so it falls to me to give you the facts.

This game is not a port, it's a new game using old assets. Possibly using the Advance2/3 engine, I don't know. But there is no code from the original game in it, because of Sega's old full retard policy of destroying thier code. And surprise, surprise the physics are all wrong, the music sounds like shit and the game is full of bugs. Without a doubt this is the absolute worst release of 'the original game'. Emulator-on-a-disc releases are better.
>>
>>3114075
Not OP, but /v/ doesn't discuss GBA at all. You realize the GBA was released 15 years ago.
>>
File: sega smash0610.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sega smash0610.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
>>3116404
>This game is not a port, it's a new game using old assets.

Are you sure about that? Maybe it's specifically a Sega thing. I do know that the Ecco the Dolphin port in the Sega Smash pack is indeed a port using original code. I can't speak to Spinball or Golden Axe though.

I will say this however, avoid this port at all costs. It's absolutely terrible. Ecco sounds terrible and they had to ditch all but 2 music tracks to fit it on the cart. And playing it with two buttons is a pain.
>>
>>3116962

They [don't] discuss it, but they are [capable] of doing so if you make a fucking thread.
>>
>>3117000
You haven't actually tried starting GBA threads on /v/ have you?
>>
File: box.jpg (2 MB, 2537x2327) Image search: [Google]
box.jpg
2 MB, 2537x2327
Look at these ridiculous claims on the back of the box. If I wanted to play Sonic 1 with the Spin Dash, I'd download a romhack. 2006 was definitely not a good year for the blue blur.
>>
>>3117032

If you say "GBA general" nobody will show up, but there are threads for GBA games all the time, like the mmbn franchise.
>>
File: fomtarget.png (21 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
fomtarget.png
21 KB, 240x160
>>3117072
>>3117072
Maybe just no one else on earth wants to talk about ZoE: Fist of Mars anymore. That is sadness.
>>
>>3117084
I've never heard of that game, but color me interested.

Is it a 2.5d game like Doom?
>>
>>3117084
>>3117095
It was fun, but I realise my GBA cart was pirated and then the battery died.

And no, it's SRPG with visual novelish menus in between.
>>
>>3117095
Not at all, it's actually a strategy RPG, but has an interesting targeting combat system. When you either fire on an enemy or get attacked it goes to that screen. The enemy flies around, you follow with the reticle and fire when it's in your sights. The controls are good and it takes some practice, especially trying to hit critical spots. Also different weapons have different sized and shaped reticles. Being attacked is the opposite, the enemy shoots and you have to avoid the shots or take damage.

You can choose to ignore that system and play it like a normal SRPG where hits and misses are percentage based as well if you want. I find that way boring though.

It's a sequel to the Zone of Enders games but feels even more like a Gundam series translated into SRPG form. I really like it.
>>
File: [Shitposting Loudly2].gif (665 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
[Shitposting Loudly2].gif
665 KB, 500x280
>>3113960
>>3114075
>>3115543
>>3116226
>>3117000
>>3117032
I don't get the stigma for the GBA.

Is it really just because it came out during Halo's time?

But it's definitely more retro like than the fucking xbox or hell even the dreamcast.

That or people are mad they may have had it as a childhood since they want to discuss it which is a thought train that makes no damn sense if I said I wanted to discuss the PS4 would you automatically assume i'm a newborn or something?

Plus we've had selective console greenlighting before, they made the dreamcast retro despite being the same generation of the gamecube, ps2 and xbox.

Just make the GBA and it alone retro fuck the other consoles we've done it before haven't we? Yes.

tl;dr I'm a faggot who just wanted to address fellow faggots discussing faggy subjects about fags being fags.

stl;dr I just ranted to probably only be yielded with shitposts on par with what I brought to the table.
>>
>>3117275
>But it's definitely more retro like than the fucking xbox or hell even the dreamcast.

I love the GBA, but really disagree with this. People look at the graphics capabilities of the GBA and think that makes the games more "retro". But design wise, they feel very much like games from the 00's.

Look at the Jedi Power Battle games in comparison to the Super Star Wars ones for example.

I do think GBA should be accepted here eventually. But I think Gamecube and PS2 should be as well. They're of the same era.
>>
>>3117275
>>3117287
fuck off.
>>
>>3117295
shut up, faggot :^)
>>
>>3117295
No thanks.
>>
>>3116972
>Are you sure about that?

Yeah, it was confirmed from the guys at Sonic Retro, it uses the Advance engine.
>>
>>3117295
How about you first?

>>3117290
>announcing reports.
Anon pls.

>>3117287
I legitimately don't get what you mean.
I don't recall any other consoles from the 00s that only had 2 buttons and 2D gameplay typically.

Also the gamecube and the PS2 is stretching it a bit.

But I do see the point since we literally just selectively chose the dreamcast because
lol 1999 amirite?
>>
>>3117336
>I don't recall any other consoles from the 00s that only had 2 buttons and 2D gameplay typically.

2D gameplay doesn't necessarily make it feel old though. Look at the many retro-styled 2D games that come out these days that resemble old games but clearly have a very different kind of game design.

It's just my impression, but games like Kirby's Amazing Mirror, M&L Superstar Saga, Boktai, the metroidvanias have a very different feel to them than SNES games did.
>>
>>3117347
Truth be told none of this matters because the mods are niggers anyway.

Nothing we say is going to change anything.
>>
>>3117358
I think it's natural that eventually 6th gen should be allowed into the fold here. But I don't really care too much one way or the other. If they never change that's cool too.

I just think the argument that GBA should be included because it's "more retro" somehow because of it's graphics or lack of buttons is a silly one.
>>
>Is Sonic for GBA true to the original?
Just watch a video of the game on Youtube. It's garbage.

Also GBA is not /vr/.
>>
Not /vr/
>mfw I got warned for announcing reports
>mods are here, allowing this
>goodbye /vr/ the mods are literal kiddies
I'm a fairly wealthy and successful young white man, I'm not used to getting me way. Nothing will stop me.
>>
>>3117370
>getting me way
>>
>>3117370
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, sweet cheeks.
>>
File: TRIGGERED LIVE!.jpg (34 KB, 291x439) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERED LIVE!.jpg
34 KB, 291x439
>>3117370
>I'm a fairly wealthy and successful young white man
And that's why you don't get your way, fucking white cis scum.
>>
>>3117132
Cool, I'll check that out.
>>
>>3117132
Does this game get hard? The battle system looks awesome, but looks kind of easy to dodge the enemy reticle.
>>
>>3117393
It's a decent challenge at times, but overall I wouldn't call it a hard game. The hardest thing is getting critical hits. If you look at this screen >>3117084 hitting the red dot with the very center of your reticle will get a crit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U5qFlXkgEM
>>
>>3113948
>being this stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJJnxHcv1z4
>>
>>3117404

It's the closest thing we're likely to get to Super Robot Wars in English. Apart from OG1 and 2, which suck and SRWJ which is also a streak of piss.
>>
>>3113948
Have you not played the original or something?
It's not hard to play Sonic 1 since it's available on many platforms, not to mention emulation.
Sonic Genesis is probably the most infamous for its terrible music, frame rate, zoom-in, glitches, etc.
It's obvious how you're trying to implement GBA discussion by using Sonic Genesis as a means of distracting from the "not retro" portion of your OP.
I don't understand why people try so hard to try having game discussion past 1999. I understand if you're talking about games on systems like the DC, N64, & PS1 which had game releases past 1999, or even retro game compilations like Midway's Arcade Treasure s or something, but aside from the GBA not being retro, neither is Sonic Advance 1 & 2.
>Sonic Advance for the GBA maintained the original's sense of momentum, because it was a port of the original Sonic Pocket Adventure engine.
No, it did not. Another stupid attempt at trying to detract that your post is nothing more than "non-retro" discussion.
Cry, bitch, and moan all you want how about you stop with this shit already like
>>3112752
>>3117084
>>3117132
This isn't declared retro yet
>>
>>3117324
That's bizarre, I wonder why they would do it like that. Seems like a ton more work for a worse result in the end.
>>
>>3117275

The problem is that allowing GBA games will open the floodgates for PS2/Xbox/GC requests. The PS2 came out a year before the GBA, and the GC can play GBA games.

Maybe we should make the rule of /vr/ "underage consoles are not allowed", and only allow discussion of consoles when they reach their 18th birthday.
>>
>>3113948

Yes. Sonic GBA plays like a bootleg port made by sweatshop workers in Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXFMQ_qyZEQ
>>
>>3117475
>and the GC can play GBA games
It can also play GB/C games.

Besides that, the GB Player is practically just a Gameboy in a box for the GC to interface with.
>>
>>3113948
>Is Sonic the Hedgehog for GBA a good port?

This video will provide the answer for that question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
>>
>>3114075
>Sonic the Hedgehog 1
>Not /vr/
Jesus Christ
>>
>>3117475
Those floodgates were opened the moment Dreamcast, a powerful 6-gen 3D console with internet connectivity, was allowed.
>>
>>3114263
For a proof of concept that's pretty awesome.
>>
>>3122742
>powerful
LMAO
>>
>>3122721
Agreed, what a bunch of autist gatekeepers
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.