[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Wolfenstein 3D for GBA a good port?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: 0399.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0399.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
Playing Pic related ....

Is Wolf 3D for GBA true to the original? The movement feels very stiff. Did Wolf 3D not have momentum like Doom did?

The Doom port for the GBA maintained the original's sense of momentum, because it was a port of the original doom engine.

Doom 2 for the GBA had stiff movement and no momentum, because it was a ground-up reworking based around the GBA exclusive Southpaw engine.

What about Wolf 3D? Am I wasting my time?
>>
>>3112752
No music keeps it from being a good port.
>>
>>3112756
which is odd because the Manual says there's music
>>
>>3112865
Only during the menus and such, but not during the gameplay.
>>
>>3112752
It's not the Wolf3D engine, it uses the same made-for-GBA generic shooter engine that the port of DOOM II did. DOOM on the GBA is the real deal though, and pretty excellent.
>>
>>3112752

If you want to play an excellent and even improved port of Wolfenstein 3D, check out the jaguar version. Yes, really.
>>
>>3112752

I don't know how good this port is but that box art is amazing and I want to play this version now.
>>
>>3112752
Does it have Nazis?
>>
>>3113183

100%. Nazis, swastikas, Hitler
>>
>>3113050
Really? Doom on GBA is good? I always dismissed it, but if that's true I could have a good portable version of the game.
>>
>>3113061
That's a port of the Mac version. Fun fact: those are the only versions of Wolfenstein where all the German spoken by enemies is grammatically correct.
>>
>>3113217
I can confirm that if you want portable Doom, the GBA version is a good way to go. Obviously doesn't look so good, but it's smooth and controls well to me at least.
>>
>>3113340

100% likewise.

Dooma GBA is actually a port of the Jaguar Version, and it genuinely feels like Doom.

Compare to Doom 2 for GBA, which uses the Southpaw engine, and doesn't feel right at all.
>>
>>3113050

I can't find anything on the Wolf 3D engine for the GBA port. A few sources list three total Southpaw Engine games:

- Doom 2
- Ice Nine
- Duke Nukem Advance

http://research.omicsgroup.org/index.php/Southpaw_Engine

Furthermore, the GBA port of Wolf 3D isn't made by Torus games, which did all the Southpaw Engine games.

Just visibly, it doesn't look like the Southpaw Engine either -- it feels quite a bit like the SNES port of Wolf 3D as far as movement is concerned.
>>
>>3113183
>Does it have Nazis?

It has them in hi-res.

So does the 3do version, mind you.

There is a major downside though: they only did new sprites for the front of each enemy, so you can't stab people in the back anymore.
>>
>>3113340
>check prices on ebay
>it's expensive as fuck
Dammit
>>
>>3112884
What's weird is that the music is in the ROM, they just didn't bother to code the music to actually fucking play.
>>
>>3113507
Isn't it cheaper to buy EZ Flash IV or whatever exists now?
>>
>>3113220
Don't forget the semi-official Apple IIGS port. It was actually developed by a small team of German demosceners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uHip1Qr-4
>>
>GBA doom is actually good

Shit i guess you actually learn something new every day
>>
>>3114446
>rules are to be enforced as written
>rules say no 6th gen therefore no GBA
>rules say nothing about an exception for ports

Explain.
>>
>have this game
>play the shit out of it
>used to carry around my GBA and like six games in the pockets of a vest I wore around every day in 8th grade like a fucking nerd
>one day emptying out my pockets in a trash can
>must have accidentally dropped wolfenstein the trash
>never found it again.

Still heartbroken. I guess I could just buy it again, it isn't like it's expensive.

Also all the people recommending GBA doom are right, its a solid version of the game despite not have cyberdemons. If you really wanna play doom on the go it more than does the job.
>>
>>3112752
GBA is a fucking 32 bit console played with a d pad and 4 buttons, and every time one of these 'port' threads comes up people are mostly civil and happy to talk about GBA, it should be included just like dreamcast. i get not including gamecube/ps2/xbox but holy shit 'retro' gameplay standards were carried over on the GBA far more than they were on the dreamcast whose most revered game is basically a fucking movie. gimme a break
>>
>Everybody shitting on the GBA port of Doom II

Oh well, they're valid complaints anyway. I do wish I had the the first Doom on my old GBA SP though. But I'm still thankful that my dad got me Doom II for my birthday when I was a kid as it pretty much kickstarted my love for the series.
>>
>>3114424
Yessir, it's even playable on my SuperCard mini SD. DOOM on a GBMicro is a pretty rad experience
>>
>>3112752
Snes Wolf3d best wolf3d - 2 new weapons
>>
>>3116882
>Rats
>Random mustacheless dictator
>>
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance

Doom II was pretty broken on the GBA. If you had any armor from a previous level it would treat it as if you were at 0% the entire level, even if you picked up additional armor.
>>
>>3116398
>no cyberdemons
No sale
>>
>>3116882
>Snes Wolf3d best wolf3d

OP here. No joke, this is actually the only version of Wolf 3D I've played all the way through.
>>
>>3116882
The Jaguar version is the best console version. completely new graphics and music, two new weapons, and uncensored Hitler.
>>
>>3118156
Only downside is the lack of music. :(
>>
>>3118175
Yeah sorry, it was the 3DO version that had new music, which otherwise is essentially a higher res and less censored version of the snes port.
>>
>>3116908
>wikia

Stop using the doomguy 2000 run wiki.
>>
>>3113061
I recommend the 3DO version, as it has the levels from the Mac/Jaguar/SNES versions alongside the original PC levels.
>>3114420
The actual music itself is clearly unfinished; Funk You! in particular being one of the worst offenders.
>>
>>3113489
Wait, enemies always face you? That sounds like a pretty damn serious gameplay alteration for a game that was inspired by the first stealth game series ever made.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.