[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ravenloft 2 Stone Prophet - Monster Respawn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
Does anyone know how to make monsters respawn at Ravenloft 2 Stone Prophet?
Once you get rid of them in dungeons they don't reappear. Only a handful of zombies
and some other ones in the open desert.

Somehow editing the LEV***.DATsave files
>>
>>3057148
Man that game was hard af

Have a bump
>>
SSI really went downhill once the CD-ROM era started.
>>
>>3057148
Sorry OP I have no idea, but I do really want to replay the Ravenloft games now. So thanks... and Ravenloft general I guess?
>>
>>3057180
They're not worth it. The audiovisuals are nice and all, but the game mechanics are ass.
>>
>>3057183
>game mechanics
Are they different from the SSI gold box D&D games?
>>
>>3057192
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ravenloft-strahds-possession/reviews/reviewerId,96480/

This reviewer explains in depth what's wrong with the game mechanics.
>>
>>3057206
that guy sounds like he needs to git gud.
>>
The only way you can judge of course is by playing the game yourself, but it doesn't sound too good if that review is an indication.
>>
>>3057148

That logo kinda looks like a ripoff of the Castlevania logo
>>
>>3057251
actually it was castlevania that ripped off dungeons and dragons kiddo
>>
>>3057261

Hmmm, I just checked and it seems it came out in 1990, Castlevania is from 1986 though.
>>
Game lacked a Quest Log or something of the sort, drove me mad.
>>
File: 401709.jpg (64 KB, 393x500) Image search: [Google]
401709.jpg
64 KB, 393x500
>>3057274
simons quest jacked the art from D&D this was 1983 though i guess they kind of ripped each other off
>>
>>3057274
Ravenloft is from 1983
>>
>>3057305

It seems the logo changed over the years, this one seems to be the first one from '83: >>3057304

The castlevania-inspired one was from 1990.
>>
>>3057148
After SSI lost the D&D license, Acclaim published Warriors of Ravenloft in 1996 but the game was no longer an RPG, instead a generic console-style beat em up.
>>
File: slus00378s1.jpg (19 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
slus00378s1.jpg
19 KB, 280x210
>>3057327
>bought Iron & Blood purely because it had the Ravenloft logo
>will play any RPG no matter how shitty for love of the setting
>"fighting" game
>>
>>3057148
Ravenloft. Didnt know about this little franchise. Looks absolutely awesome. Thanks /vr/
>>
>>3057431
>>3057327
I'd recommend the PS1 port because beat-em-ups will nearly always be better on a console.
>>
Yeah, go and play the Gold Box series instead and don't bother with Windows 3.x-era SSI.
>>
>>3057618
What platform should I play them on?
>>
I'll dl and have a look
>>
>>3057623
Amiga obviously. The PC ports will be nothing but EGA/CGA bleeper shit.
>>
Amiga was king when it came to computer gaming in the late 80s; nothing else could touch it for sound and graphics prowess. On the downside, the floppy drives were brutally slow, they never really did get around to adding high density drives, and EVERYTHING had hellish levels of copy protection.

Obviously in the modern age with emulations this is not so much an issue.
>>
>>3057635
>>3057005
Damn, why was it so bad? Was piracy that much of a problem that you literally needed to grind up people's disk drives to prevent copying?
>>
>>3057648
PC clones didn't let you use the same extensive copy protection because the floppy controllers were a standard Shugart type, not the weird Commodore/Apple interface that gives you near-complete low-level control over the disk.

But more importantly, the Amiga market was tiny compared to the vast PC market. You could sell 2-3x as many copies of a PC compatible game as an Amiga one which made up for revenue lost due to piracy (simply selling more copies means higher profit margins). They sold less than a million Amigas in North America.

Even so, I agree that protecting a game to the point where it could physically damage disk drives was excessive and I think in many cases, game devs didn't really think this through very well.
>>
>dressing a female character in what looks like a Girl Scout uniform
Come on SSI, you can do better than this.
>>
>>3057673
>Do you seek healing

Dude, it's already implied that she's a prostitute.
>>
I always wanted to try 80s CRPGs, but I've been put off by how slow, grinding, and hard to set up and play they are.
>>
>>3057689
Don't. Go play Final Fantasy; you'll enjoy yourself a lot more.
>>
>>3057673
Fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>3059849
Err, wouldn't him wanting to see her in a more titillating outfit make him heterosexual as opposed to a faggot?
>>
Some of the gold box games were ported to the NES, unfortunately they were done by Pony Canyon, one of the worst devs for the system.
>>
Pool of Radiance was a good game for the time although the load times on non-IBM systems were brutal.
>>
>>3057165
It's no different really than Sierra, Origin, Epyx, and other 80s powerhouses who couldn't survive the transition to the 90s. Microprose didn't really outlast the 80s either since they were bought out by Spectrum Holobyte in 1993 and had ceased to exist altogether by the time George W. Bush was president.
>>
>>3063635
Ironic because X-COM was probably, next to Civilization, the most successful game that ever had Microprose's name on it and that was post-buyout.
>>
>>3057448
Dinnae listen to the hate, it's good.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.