[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FF Tactics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
Seen a few screenshots posted in another thread a few days ago and really want to do a replay now. Does war of the lions add anything? Are the mobile versions shit? Should I just stick with the original and emulator?
>>
File: romfft_01.jpg (66 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
romfft_01.jpg
66 KB, 600x338
The game is a competent zelda clone, why do you ask?
>>
>>3037230
Wait? What? I thought war of the lions was just a new skin with maybe a few extras tossed in, not really a zelda clone.
>>
Asking because I'm wondering if I should drop the $20 on it for mobile or just emulate the original.
>>
File: FFT.jpg (78 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
FFT.jpg
78 KB, 1136x640
>>3037242
What are you talking about fft was always a action adventure.
>>
>>3037248
The English translation is much better in WotL, and personally I love the new cutscenes.
>>
File: Fftactics.gif (91 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Fftactics.gif
91 KB, 640x480
>>3037272
No, strategy/rpg
>>
File: unnamed.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
1 MB, 1440x900
>>3037272
>>
>>3037272
>tacticts in the title
>action adventure

Don't you think they might have named it Final Fantasy Adventure instead?
>>
File: no pls.jpg (16 KB, 592x320) Image search: [Google]
no pls.jpg
16 KB, 592x320
DO NOT BUY WAR OF THE LIONS

DON'T DO IT

>get WOTL for PSP
>this is going to be the best port-remake ever
>Old Man Dark Knight uses Night Sword on some other enemy
>SLOWDOWN - SOUND DESYNC
>oh okay well maybe it's just that one attack
>use a potion on a guy
>SLOWDOWN WITH SOUND DESYNC

>a few years later I see WOTL is on the app store
>Squeenix can't possibly have fucked up again, they must have fixed this shitty issue
>NO THEY DIDN'T

It's completely unacceptable how GTA3 can run FUCKING FINE on an iPhone but WOTL has lag and slowdowns when somebody uses a potion

EMULATE THIS GAME

>mfw Squeenix fucked me twice and got $50 out of me for the same game that should have been fucking perfect
>>
>>3037230
>>3037272
Explain this pls
>>
>>3037230

Rise of mana, Ramza and Orlandu are guest characters.
>>
>>3037326
Thanks a bunch anon, just saved me 20 bones
>>
>>3037358
Bunch of crap w/ some translation fixes and some job changes. Plus, some cinematics.
>>
Pros: portable, non-dogshit translation
Cons: slowdown, sound issues, $20.

Depends on your priorities OP.
>>
>>3037358
You're welcome, the least I can do now is save people from wasting money on WOTL. I don't mind buying ROMs from Nintendo or even buying games that have been updated in some way, but I am 100% buttmad that Square fucked up WOTL to the point in which I would have to ignore such an immersion breaking slowdown that was perfect in the late 90s.
>>
>>3037452
Don't all the cons go away if you emulate?
>>
Guess they added a few job classes, so I'm going to try the PSP version with an emulator.
>>
>>3037575
make sure you patch to remove slowdown
>>
File: algus.png (139 KB, 475x360) Image search: [Google]
algus.png
139 KB, 475x360
>>3037326
>slowdown sound desync

I've only got an iPhone 5 and I've never had this happen, and I grinded a team up to level 99 because fuck the subway.

Personally like the original better (if you can emulate to remove loading times) if only because:

1) Spell quotes
2) Algus' lines are more fucked up (seriously, they removed animals have no god, why)
3) Controller >>>>>>>>>> Touchpad controls
>>
>>3037575
New jobs are all shitty honestly.

Dark knight is an 'I already won the game' class and is pretty useless because of that, but I mean, it's good.

Onion knight is fucking trash because you can't have abilities on it.

Luso's pretty useless.
>>
>>3037582
you make a sound argument as well anon, going to see if i can get ppsspp running on my old laptop and if it runs like crap ill grab a ps1 emulator.
>>
>>3037586
oh... well shit
>>
>>3037586
Nah iirc Luso is a super squire with some decent core abilities.

Balthier has superior stealing with the "Plunder" abilities.

But yeah, FFT is so easy that everything else added feels extraneous. There are a few extra battles but usually it's just Delita fighting 2 guys, or a quick vs. 1 battle. Some stuff feels shoehorned in, like a battle with Argath, and I think you fight, but at least meet Kletien in Dorter for a bit of character development.

It's just meh. The slowdown kinda sucks, but if you were bringing a PSP it's not horrible. It's a fun game and playing on the go was nice. I remember I brought it with me when I went to Helsinki, Norway and Germany and it was nice.
>>
>>3037452
Isn't the PSX version on PSP? Or at least Vita?
>>
>>3037272
>>3037230
what the fuck am i looking at
>>
>>3037452
The sound desync and slowdown was caused by a bug. There was a patch (required cfw) to fix it back when it came out on psp.
>>
>>3037582
I recently upgraded to the 6, I'll retract my statement about the iPhone port if it fucks up for me again, but I'll keep this in mind
>>
>>3037946
Okay, so it actually runs like it should on mobile. They did indeed fix it. Perhaps it was my iPhone 4S, perhaps I'm just retarded, but I retract my statement on the WOTL iPhone port
>>
>>3037748
Holy shit. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
L I T T L E
>>
M

O

N

E

Y
>>
>>3038507
M O N E Y
>>
>>3038507
>>3038674
>>3038679

Dank memes go on /v/, guys.
>>
>>3037326
Does it still have l i t t l e m o n e y ?
>>
>>3040671

no, wotl used a completely bland translation and removed anything the least bit amusing
>>
Pirate the psp version with the slowdown patch.

It has new characters Balthier and Luso, New jobs Onion Knight and Dark Knight and a new translation.

Best version by far.
>>
>>3037219
>Does war of the lions add anything?

A shitty translation. The PS1 translation is ridden with grammatical errors, but it's surprisingly more accurate than WotL, and much less turgid to read.
>>
>>3041040
>surprisingly more accurate than WotL
>Queklain
>Adramelk
>Altima

The PS1 translation is Fatlus tier, the PSP retranslation is Alexander O. Smith tier, but at the very least the PSP version has the right names, both are garbage for different reasons.
>>
>>3037301
This man right here is a liar. All you have to do is look at the first 5-10 min of game chatter too know how shit it is. Who the fuck would want to read that abomination of what old english is for an entire game?
>>
It annoys me that I have a physical Playstation copy of this game, and bought it on the PSP - yet I just can not really get into it. I love FFTA and even FFTA2. And Ogre Battle Or at least the one I bought for GBA. Should I rebuy it for Vita if I get one?
>>
The PSP version slowdown was fixed by an unofficial patch but I suppose you can't use it if you don't have CFW on your PSP.

Most of the WoTL extra content doesn't add that much unfortunately, except for maybe the Multiplayer if you can actually find someone to play them with.

The PSP version also reverted the JP costs to the original JP release levels which are higher than the US PSX levels, which makes the game much grindier than necessary.

I mostly like the PSX version nowadays because of all the mods that FFT has.
>>
>>3041302
>Should I rebuy it for Vita if I get one?
Why?
Do you expect a bad coded port to magically work better on another console?
>>
>>3041302
>>3041719

I think the better question is.

>already own it twice
>didn't really like it
>should I buy it a third time?
>>
>>3037349
this is news to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 160x144
>>3037321
>>
>>3037326

This was very helpful. I was thinking about picking up FFT myself because I have not played it yet, and was looking at the PSP port. I will now pass.

Thanks anon
>>
>>3041057
Let's be fair, translating a name to katakana and back will screw it up unless you have context for the name. Not many know of Cu Chulain, and Ultima was always a spell and not an entity (ultima weapon aside).
>>
>>3041057
The thing is that the retranslation of FFT isn't done by Alex O. Smith, who actually did an excellent job with TOgre on PSP. Crimson Shroud was also very well written, and its verbose and detailed writing is almost the only way the game could even stand out (lots of VR-era rolling and simple dungeon crawling for a 2012 game).
>>
>>3042804
I'm finding the TO PSP version to be quite excellent.

I was a little disappointed because I was expecting a "full remake" and it uses the same art from the SNES/PS1 release, but the translation is loads better and I like a lot of the gameplay changes so far. I'm only 2 missions in so far, but the changes all look like nice quality of life or straight up positive.

Just things like having a better way to use items, things like auras being highlighted, easy access to the turn order.

I thought I outsmarted the game by taking Lombardia from Lanselot (pretty sure this was "Zenobia" in the OG release, and you couldn't unequip him) but the game outsmarted me and just ripped it from my inventory.

The class marks seem like they could be a bit hit or miss because it seems like it's just a way to artificially limit your options, but I'll keep an open mind about it. I do like how they added Male and Female versions of the exclusive classes

Over all just seems like a more in depth game than the original, while staying true to the roots. TO is just a little too simplistic gameplay wise, and just a little too obtuse for some things like unlocking classes, and the ability to lose classes was pretty shit (like killing a certain number of people as a Cleric)
>>
>>3042827
The class system in TO remake is honestly pretty terrible because all new classes join at level 1, which makes you go grind for everything all over again if you want to actually want to try new things out... which you don't because what you really want to do is use a team of Archers and maybe some Ninjas to kill everything.

It's like they took the system from Valkyria Chronicles where it was praised but didn't realize it only worked there because there was like only 6 classes in those games.
>>
>>3042832

Yeah, I can see that, but I also think it makes things more tolerable. It was really shit in the original because you had to use training and have your dudes beat on themselves for hours, especially if someone died and you needed a new recruit since you got Revivify so late.

It's probably just its own kind of annoying.
>>
>>3042804
>who actually did an excellent job with TOgre on PSP

He didn't, he filled the game with incoherent old english, freely changed and added lines to please his shakespearian prose fetish, he changed names that had only one evident transliteration for no reason like Denim being changed to Denam, Haborym changed to Hobyrim and so on, the TO PSP translation is a disaster on pair with what he did to Vagrant Story.

And for the umpteenth time, if you evidently don't know japanese, stop talking about stuff you don't know anything about, Alexander O. Smith is a hack on the level of Working Designs when it comes to translation.
>>
>>3042907
>incoherent old english

I don't get this criticism. It gives the world some life.

Get some culture, you may pick up some new vocabulary along the way.
>>
>>3042931
>It gives the world some life.
It doesn't, it makes a straightforward and down to earth script sound like a parody at best, if you like getting your characters butchered just because some asshole has to push his own distorted fanfiction of a script be my guest, but I sure as hell wouldn't enjoy something like Lodoss or Berserk translated into faux shakespearian english by that moron just because for him any medieval fantasy drama must be written by Not!Shakespeare.
His very choice of words and periods is schizophrenic, using archaic phrasing with 19th century vocabulary, only someone who hasn't studied anything about literature wouldn't see how terrible his works are.
>Get some culture, you may pick up some new vocabulary along the way.
I speak five languages and read a lot of books in their original languages, lack of culture isn't MY problem.

If you enjoy eating shit at least have the decency to not say to others that that garbage is any good, any professional translator would be horrified by how badly videogame localization is handled. Even Aeon Genesis made more competent localizations than that moron.
>>
It never ceases to amaze me how Vagrant Story was regarded as one of the greatest video game translations at the time of release, and is now regard as one of the absolute worst.
>>
>>3044437
What? It still is last time I checked.
>>
>>3042931
>Get some culture, you may pick up some new vocabulary along the way.

Way to be a complete jackass.

Not the guy you were replying to, but Tactics Ogre on PSP had a horrible translation. The translator basically just makes up shit as they go along.

Smith is one of the worst things to happen to Square, which is why I've generally avoided any localizations after their merge with Enix.
>>
What I really hate are the weebs who insist that all the names have to be exactly the same as the jap version. Like if some moron in Tokyo names the lead character Asslick Butterbur, and the translator changes it to something like Azrael Bearkiller, suddenly it's the translator who's a piece of shit? Get the fuck out.
>>
>>3041972
If you didn't like it the first 2 times why do you think the same thing a third time is going to make you love it?
>>
>>3037219 (OP)
PSP version have slowed down all animation to 15 fps instead of 30.
Squished image and sprites to make up for new screen format.
Added some characters and quests, great translation which I enjoyed a lot.
Sound is a bit distorted since psx version passed sound trough some reverb filter which is missing in psp.

There are patches to unsquish and speed up animation tho, which makes it probably the best version of the game.

There are mods to add translation to psx version making it bit of two worlds without additional chars and quests.
>>
>>3044492
>The translator basically just makes up shit as they go along.

I have a feeling they were doing this as far back as FF8, when they replaced whole lines of dialogue with "Whatever..."
>>
>>3037326
You know, the sad thing is you can fix the game with patching only a single value from 0 to 1. I don't know why SE couldn't fix it.
>>
>>3037326
>Actually buying anything Squeenix puts on App Store
>>
>>3041281
I would. It's so much better. I made a romhack of FFT PSX and I used the PSP retranslated script
>>
Sorry for the late replies, posted spoiled smut in a blue board and took a 3 day as a result.

>>3041719
I was planning on getting the PS1 version.

>>3041972
It's not that I do not like the game, I just never had the time to sit down and play it on PS1/PSP. I love turn based strategy games/SRPGs and love the sequels.

>>3044614
See above. Liked it, but never had TV/console time long enough to get very far. Same thing happened with FF7 as well.
>>
>>3042931
same can be said about "incoherent engrish" tbqh
>>
Bump in the name of the King!
>>
>>3042832
I don't find it that bad because low level classes catch up quite quickly since they get the majority of the exp the farther they are from the top guys.
Also if you ever get into the full autism that is stat grinding you'd laugh at ever thinking leveling a single class was hard or time consuming.
>>
So how about those hacked versions?
Any of those good?
>>
some crazy dude is modding all the wotl shit into the base play station game. though apparently its on hold while the guy works on another mod.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10179.0
>>
>>3052012
Oh neat.
>>
>>3037326
PSP version with slowdown fix patch emulates well. Slowdown was intentional btw
>>
>>3044943
please elaborate
>>
There's a mod to add the PSP translation to the ps1 version. Don't think there's one the other way around due to the original having a piss poor translation
>>
>>3052497
Slowdown was added so the multiplayer on then PSP would stay synced between psps. Someone found turning a 0 to a 1 would turn off the slowdown.
>>
>>3052517
what a fucking terrible solution... my god. Why has Square fallen so far? Is it Enix's fault?

Thanks for the answer though
>>
>>3042832
It's only really a problem for classes with only one user. For the others you can just get all of the possible users and grind them up for a bit.

The real cancer is the crafting system and the slow skill exp gain.
>>
File: 1449122209250.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1449122209250.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>3052479
>intentional

>>3052517
>>3044943
>changing a single value fixes it

I swear to God I get so buttmad every fucking time I think about WOTL on PSP and this just makes it worse.

I am glad that it at least is fixed on iPhone but fucking shit Square
>>
File: laughing ape man.gif (3 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
laughing ape man.gif
3 MB, 290x189
>>3052517
>>
>>3052786
>Why has Square fallen so far? Is it Enix's fault?

85% of the staff retained after the merger were former Square employees and 11 of the 12 board members were former Square employees, with the chief CEO being a Square and the lone Enix board member being the deputy CEO.

Almost all of the regular rank-and-file Enix employees and board members were ousted on the merger, estimates go from 75-90%. Hardly any of those remaining former Enix employees are still with SE.

It was an acquisition; a merger in name only.
>>
>>3053365

The really funny thing is that on wikipedia it says "With Enix as the surviving company".
>>
>>3053261
But friend, why play games on a phone? A PSP is cheap and moddable. Or a Vita.
>>
>>3053583
Probably because everyone has a phone already and also usually has it on them at all times.
>>
>>3052007
LFT is the best one.

I also like my own but I'm not being objective there
>>
File: qgeomancer.png (184 KB, 611x747) Image search: [Google]
qgeomancer.png
184 KB, 611x747
Oh a tactics thread. o:

Mind if I pour a few sketches here?
>>
File: qmonk.png (243 KB, 728x912) Image search: [Google]
qmonk.png
243 KB, 728x912
>>
File: qsquire.png (402 KB, 730x1238) Image search: [Google]
qsquire.png
402 KB, 730x1238
>>
File: qlancer.png (468 KB, 732x1510) Image search: [Google]
qlancer.png
468 KB, 732x1510
>>
>>3052007
they're all pretty good. though some (mainly 1.3) are hard as shit if you don't understand the game mechanics deeply.
>>
Just a reminder this guy will fuck you're shit up!
>>
>>3054762
>>3054764
>>3054765
>>3054768

Awesome sketches!
>>
File: Wiegraf's_Challenge.jpg (93 KB, 480x359) Image search: [Google]
Wiegraf's_Challenge.jpg
93 KB, 480x359
>>3054865
>>
>>3037219

It fucks up the translation, adds slowdowns and shoe horns in references to later FF games. Really not worth your time. Just play the PS1 version.
>>
>>3052007
1.3 is the best By far
>>
Hey guys. This guy here. >>3054762 >>3054764 >>3054765 >>3054768

My next drawrrrring is already in the works, but what else would you suggest I do next? I do eventually plan to get to Wiegraf and Worker 8. But there's plenty of tactics things to draw. And being inside this tunnel can blind me to the besterest, raw ideas.
>>
File: delita.jpg (9 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
delita.jpg
9 KB, 183x275
>>3055563
I like the idea about the Wiegraf.
draw the scene were rams tell's him how milleuda would be ashamed of him.
make wiegraf have an annoyed look on his face.
>>3054762
>>3054764
>>3054765
>>3054768
Nice work.
>>
File: qwizard.png (378 KB, 706x1200) Image search: [Google]
qwizard.png
378 KB, 706x1200
>>
>>3056174
awesome
>>
>>3054865
that picture came from a playthrough where ramza 1 turned his first form, and then 1 turned his second.
>>
>>3056201
wait, my bad, he didn't 1 turn Velius. He double turned him for the kill.
>>
File: FJMGN-DramaticReenactment.jpg (626 KB, 1948x2494) Image search: [Google]
FJMGN-DramaticReenactment.jpg
626 KB, 1948x2494
>>
File: 1412323239274.png (316 KB, 432x413) Image search: [Google]
1412323239274.png
316 KB, 432x413
>>3056214
Okay that's great.
>>
>>3037272
what is this
>>
I don't like that WoTL removed those quotes when you used magic or those magic sword skills.
>>
File: qpriest.png (748 KB, 1299x1187) Image search: [Google]
qpriest.png
748 KB, 1299x1187
>>
>>3041281
Patrician

>>3048437
Plebeian

The new translation is try-hard bullshit that screams "HEYYYYY WE ARE HAVING FUN HERE! THIS IS NOT REAL LOL THE CAKE IS A LIE XD" in your fucking face.

The simple original translation, while awkward at a few points, also frequently comes off as matter-of-fact and believable as well.
>>
>>3057139
I do however like the one line from Goltana just the scene before his death.

"Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander"

Concerning sending his men out into flooded fields because the enemy wouldn't expect it.

If it were a mostly untampered translation, with lines like that thrown in every once and awhile, I think it'd be perfect.

But EVERY LINE IS LIKE THAT. And it's just too much.
>>
File: Reis.jpg (80 KB, 500x730) Image search: [Google]
Reis.jpg
80 KB, 500x730
>>3054762
>>3054764
>>3054765
>>3054768
I like thing.

>>3055563
DRAW REIS NIGGA
>>
>>3057139
Nah, your opinion is wrong and shit, sorry. The retranslation is objectively better.
>>
>>3037219
War of the Lions has a complete retranslation which I think is waaaaaayyyy better than the ps1 translation
>>
>>3057572
>>3057707
Sorry, but "Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God." is a million times better than "Tis' your birth and faith that wrong you, not I."

One is simple, harsh and evocative of a brutal time of war and harsh realities. The other is foppy frou frou shit that immediately undercuts everything.

When a translator/translation gets an ego he fails at his job.
>>
>>3058504
the weird thing is how measured and appropriate Vagrant Story's translation is in comparison

war of the lions is just inappropriate all over the place, Shakespearean dialogue is about clarity of nuance and it has none of that. it's dry as a bone and painfully literal.
>>
>>3058520
I've always seen it like this: War of the Lions' script is like someone was inspired by Alexander O Smith's writing in Vagrant Story and FF12 and failed miserably to capture that same spirit. In all honesty, besides the typos and L I T T L E M O N E Y, I much prefer the PS1 script, especially the names. It still boggles the mind that whoever translated WotL didn't think to change Wiegraf's name to the obvious Wiglaf it's supposed to be but changed Algus' name to the really unnatural sounding Argath.
>>
>>3058527
War of the Lions and Vagrant Story were literally translated by the same guy trying to do the same style in one as the other.

It boggles the mind how one can be so perfect and the other such unrepentant shit.
>>
>>3058527
desu I'll probably end up making it "Argus" when I finally break down and translate the japanese text to compare all 3 versions and decide on something that isn't idiotic for my own patch.
>>
>>3058615
No, like I said, Vagrant Story was strictly an Alexander O Smith translation. I looked it up, and apparently WotL was translated by a guy named Tom Slattery, and looking at his track record is fairly strange. He's the guy who did FF6's GBA translation which was very good, as well as FF4's DS translation which, while suffering a bit from WotL's pseudo-Shakespearean dialogue (But not nearly to the level of WotL) was also a very good translation.
>>
>>3058504
Yeah but your example there is more representative of current times, which is why you enjoy it. I prefer the ps1 translation but your example is kind of silly considering how speech would be given the time period. The WotL Translation is forced but it's not absolute ass like you all claim. Read a letter sent during a medieval time period and you'd know that.
>>
I just spent 50 minutes stealing Genji equipment from Elmdor. Had my main man Ramza reviving the fallen, a time wizard hasting the party and slowing down Elmdor. Then with the help of two classes with knight abilities, they surrounded him and used Speed Break to bring his sorry ass down to no turns at a 8-13% with two swords in each hand.

Once he was down -4 Speed, it was all over and my knight-thief started off with his shield, armor, helmet, accessory and finally the sword. Meanwhile Orlandu was sitting on the other side of the map skipping turns for 40 minutes.

There was probably an easier way of doing this, but this was a great victory for me (after failing 5 times in a row).

/blog
>>
>>3058629
the way people write to each other in proper educated english and the way nobleman talk shit to thieves who only learned to read so they could burn people with magic is different anon

even Shakespeare himself reflected different degrees of bawdiness and education in the speaker with comments like "maybe you're a cock sucker" to "your mother is whore and your father has syphilis" represented in the grammatically proper speak

basically everyone in the game talks like a eunuch scribe or socialite and it's inappropriate for the subject matter when 90% of the characters are soldiers and operatives
>>
>>3059385
Sure they have plain speak. I said it was over done, I don't know what else you want? I'm just saying that in some areas the translation is solid considering 8/10 of the dialogue is with high born/noble class individuals. They aren't going to use much plain speak.
>>
>>3058623
>He's the guy who did FF6's GBA translation which was very good
>good

Er, no. The GBA-era translations were all terrible. Really on par with Smith's work.
>>
>>3058629
>Yeah but your example there is more representative of current times

What? No it's not. The character are imitating a single dialect of Early Modern English throughout the entire script. The story alternates between noble and common characters - who in an Early Modern English society wouldn't speak the same way in the first place - and the Japanese script even uses pronouns and wording to reflect each character's status appropriately. The translator's grammar isn't even remotely correct in many regards. Not to mention that half the lines in the English script are completely fucking made up.
>>
>>3059408
>Not to mention that half the lines in the English script are completely fucking made up
Examples?
>>
wotl feels like im reading some bayeux tapestry meme desu
>>
>>3059397
I really liked FFV's translation.
>>
>>3037995
What about the android port?
>>
File: 1424375756116.png (88 KB, 301x289) Image search: [Google]
1424375756116.png
88 KB, 301x289
>>3044591
You. I like you.
>>
>>3044591
more like he changes it to Apple Bloom. either way he's still a piece of shit since he modifies the original intent to his personal liking.
>>
>>3044591
Leaving things untranslated or translating them simply is often the right call and results in an improved product. In fact, it has a better effect than the original.

Why? Because if things are expressed simply and/or in their native language, they often seem exotic and of a remote culture, and so evoke a sense of awe and mystery instead of hamfisted cheese like they do in Japan.
>>
>>3059586
Same here. I'm still torn on which to play - I've seen so many people say that version's better though it reads like some shit I wrote when I was 12. Either they've got different taste in writing or the original translation is a whole new level of garbage.

Anyone got any caps of standard, boilerplate lines so that I can compare and see which I like more?
>>
File: qpriest.png (1 MB, 1248x1031) Image search: [Google]
qpriest.png
1 MB, 1248x1031
Wark tho
>>
>>3060583
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics
vs
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics:_The_War_of_the_Lions

There you go.
>>
>>3060607
>https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics:_The_War_of_the_Lions
Thanks man. Looks like I'm rolling with the PS1 version. WotL's still not doing it for me.
>>
wotl is okay. the translation is really flowery which is a bummer but i like the new content.
>>
File: qoracle.png (295 KB, 749x802) Image search: [Google]
qoracle.png
295 KB, 749x802
>>
>>3062461
The costumes in that game were the best.
>>
File: 8RcH9tb.png (357 KB, 826x906) Image search: [Google]
8RcH9tb.png
357 KB, 826x906
>>3063064
Well I've taken some liberties with it.
>>
>>3060591
massively adorable
>>
File: ramza.jpg (306 KB, 900x513) Image search: [Google]
ramza.jpg
306 KB, 900x513
>>3054865
>>
File: qoracle.png (501 KB, 1130x1218) Image search: [Google]
qoracle.png
501 KB, 1130x1218
>>3063661
>>
>>3037582
There are no spell quotes in the remake? Why? It's one of the things that made me pump up virtually useless skills just to see if they would say something when I used them.
>>
L i t t l e m o n e y
>>
>>3063859
There are, it's just inconsistent when they pop up.
>>
>>3041040

The PSP translation is overly pretentious shit.

The PSX translation's mistakes are just on the margin of "is that just they taking liberties with English?" to be passable. For the longest time I thought being "party to the plot" was a reasonable phrase.
>>
>>3065907
Party to the plot IS an actual phrase though.
>>
>>3065907
>For the longest time I thought being "party to the plot" was a reasonable phrase.

What convinced you it wasn't?
>>
>>3065980
It's either "privy to the plot" or more likely "a party in the plot"
>>
>>3037219
The only good thing I can think of are actually being a Dark Knight fuck that if you aren't going to play multiplayer though, some added scenarios, and I think fixing Oil. There's patches for the PSP version's slowdown, but really it's more worthwhile to modify the PSX one with bugfixes and the like if you're going to do that. Translation's mostly shit except for the new ability names, which are mostly better.

>Are the mobile versions shit?
You can get DK equipment without multiplayer and Genji stuff, but their "fix" for slowdown is speeding up the animation during big effect moves which fucks up the sound.. Also Android version is absolute shit that crashes and has never been fixed. Apparently it's shit because Squeenix lost the source code before WOTL and you can only hack that shit so many times officially. Don't even bother and just emulate the PS1 version on mobile instead.
>>
>>3066216
>WOTL was a hack
I'd call you out on this, but after finding out that FFVI mobile was really a GBA cart with new assets I'd believe it completely.
>>
>>3065987
"privy to the plot" means he's aware of the conspiracy

"a party in the plot" is vague enough to be misinterpreted as Delita being the subject of the conspiracy or being a pawn in their machinations

"Party to the plot" is pretty clear, he's asking Delita if he's become one of the conspirators who are creating this war, and he's afraid that Delita will become corrupted by the demonic power from their influence.

Delita was fighting his own war though, and that's all Ramza needed to know, that his friend hadn't really changed or lost his will power and morality.
>>
What's the better tactics ogre, ps1 or psp?
>>
>>3066262
SNES has the best music and sound quality, no load times, and somehow the Aeon Genesis translation patch for the SNES game includes all the additional content of the PSX version.

I've heard that the PSP version is nothing but bloat and the game is even more broken than it already was.
>>
>>3056214
okay, I don't get how he's so high in the air

Is he a lancer mid-jump? Is that levitate?
>>
>>3066420
It might be artistic license, you can use float to raise your character's height and shoot past obstacles in the actual game
>>
>>3066420
It's supposed to be a portrayal of a really common unit set-up of using a Magic Gun with Jump (because of its inflated ~20 WP)
>>
I came into this thread for information about the original Tactics because I've already played Advance and GotR and am curious about the original. What I've gleamed so far is that the original is better right now until a hacked version with WooL features is included. I know it's more of a "hardcore" experience compared to the two Advance games (though I did beat GotR in hardmode first playthrough, fuck those towers), such as needing to level us as a chemist just for the "items" ability, which is a given in the Advance games. What other differences are there?

Also what is this little money joke? Do people really take translations so seriously?
>>
>>3066463
Little money, though it's one of the made up lines, is more of a bug than a translation error, where each character is printed with a pause used normally at the end of a line break, consequently making it print out much slower during one of the earliest scenes of the game.
>>
>>3066463
>What other differences are there?
I think the biggest thing you'll have to get used to from Adv -> Original is that spell abilities have "Charge Times" in between executing the order and the spell actually going off where they can't evade and take more damage if hit - it adds a layer of strategy to have to manipulate your positioning/timing so you don't get whacked mid-way through casting.

And you learn abilities straight through spending JP you get from performing actions in battle instead of having to go through an item -> skill system

The original FFT feels a lot more "simulationist" to me like different elemental spells doing increased/decreased damage during weather (e.g rainy weather = more lightning/less fire), the Zodiac compatibility system where a unit's Zodiac sign affinity affects how much it deals damage/heals other units or raises the chance of success.

Though while more complex in general, the game's still not that hard though unless you throw on some kind of Hard Mode mod.

>Also what is this little money joke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNd7DhAtG3s
Considering the specific nature of this happening, I kind of think someone was poking fun of themselves here.
>>
>>3063661
It's still really neat
>>
File: qknight.png (716 KB, 974x1226) Image search: [Google]
qknight.png
716 KB, 974x1226
>>
>>3056214
The knight punching the shit out of the Chocobo cracks me up
>>
>>3066650
What about laws and facing direction? Laws were unique to the Advance series right? And I liked facing direction in Advance, dislike how GotR changed it from evade difference to damage difference.
>>
I skimmed though the topic and I can't believe no one mentioned Holy Arithmetician Chameleon yet.

I better be wrong.
>>
>>3068014
>calculators
bitch do you even quickening? you know nothing.
>>
>>3067983
Yeah, Laws is Advance series only.

Facing is still Evasion instead of Damage modifiers in OG FFT but it's very context sensitive - basically...

Front - Class Evasion
Sides - Shield Evasion
Back - Accessory Evasion

Top adds all of the modifiers from the bottom - so getting attacked from the back means that only your accessory will provide evasion while being attacked from the front means you get full protection from your class modifier, shields and accessory
>>
>>3068031
>convoluted setup that can backfire
>instead of dealing 4995 damage first turn
>and healing for the same
>don't even need to move, just pick CT0 > Holy
>Congratulations! This Battle Is Complete!
>>
>>3068014
Because there's no point mentioning it. There's nothing to discuss about an unstoppable insta-win killing machine
>>
>>3068280
I don't know if this counts as discussing it, but I like keeping Construct 8 in my party of 4 Calculators.

You know, as a backup plan. I don't know, call me autistic, it just fits.
>>
>>3037219
Yes; Some cutscenes, all of which are available on YT, access to the dark night class(requires a lot of grinding- if you thought mime was bad, you're in for a "treat"), multiplayer modes(psp only) and the gear they give(not sure what platforms have what), and finally, re-translated dialogue.

Oh, and as an added bonus you also get ability slowdown. It's honestly not too bad, but it can make grinding and certain fights a bit tedious.

Also, just scrolled down a bit and saw you saying you're getting it on mobile... Honestly at that point man just emu it.
>>
File: qarcher.png (489 KB, 1131x1125) Image search: [Google]
qarcher.png
489 KB, 1131x1125
>>
>>3066262
They so different you should consider the PSP remake a game of its own that has more or less the same plot and characters.
>>
>>3044943
In programming, 0 and 1 are Boolean values for false and true. Changing the value to 0 sets the slowdown to be false, or disabled.
>>
>>3069338
No shit sherlock.
>>
>>3037326
This more or less lends some reasons why this idea may be true >>3066216

I'm pretty damn sure mobile runs in a sort of emulation shell anyway. Even with the slowdown fix, in Android it crashes a fuckton for no reason at all. And it's never been updated since release.

>>3044943
>>3053261
Apparently the hacking scene knows more than Square, in iOS at least there's a thingy called LiOS that will actually bring over the PSP version's slowdown patch.

It's fucking stupid though. iOS has had updates and it still isn't fixed.
>>
>>3037219
I prefer advance.

the war of the lions story just didn't do it with me.
>>
>>3069917
I liked what Advance was trying to do, but there wasn't really enough plot to get me invested. The original felt way more involved to me, at least the first half anyway.

By the time I did about fifteen side missions which were arguably easier, but then again we're comparing Advance to a game with TG Cid, I had completely forgotten what I was supposed to be doing next except for which mission was the plot one.
>>
>>3054762
>>3054764
>>3054765
>>3054768
nifty stuff. thanks
>>
File: 1442394114388.png (448 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
1442394114388.png
448 KB, 640x428
>>3072837
are the knives like, buried inside of his arm right there?

that's also a pretty fleshy looking tree, have you drawn gay porn before? I feel like you would be good at drawing sweaty naked men (try drawing some fabulous ramza butt-pants maybe?)

picture semi-related
>>
>>3054865
In retrospect, that is legit terrifying. If you don't agree you either didn't connect with any character or this game was just not for you.
>>
>>3072945
It's terrifying because it's basically the Immortal Zodd scene in jRPG form.
>>
>>3073703

Because /vr/ isn't a repository for your shitty fanart. Stop derailing threads with fanart dumps. We have other boards for that.
>>
>>3073727
Nah it's weird because only the one was deleted, and none of the others.

It's fine.
>>
File: Cripples have no god.png (290 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
Cripples have no god.png
290 KB, 620x465
>>
>>3073950
Decided to stop being a cunt and let Mewt, Ritz and cripple kid be happy huh?

Just kidding Marche you're alright, ecaspism isn't healthy.
>>
>>3073950
It's kind of funny that 1.3's Orlandu is a crippled old Gimp while LE ESCAPISM is probably one of the best Unique in the game.
>>
I just wanted to jump in here and give a +1 to the PSX version. I bought it something like a decade ago when it was being released under the "Greatest Hits" label (who the fuck thought BRIGHT NEON GREEN was a wise design choice? Kinda screws with the muted color aesthetic of the cover art. Anyway.) and let it gather dust until just a few days ago.

20 in-game hours later I'm just getting into Chapter Three and wondering what was wrong with me for not playing this before now. At the time it probably suffered from being released around the time of FF7, though I would argue that FFT has withstood the test of time far better than core FF7. Yes, I enjoyed Advent Children and I'm sure the other side games were alright, but I'm not sure replaying FF7 would have consumed my free time and attention in the way this one has.

As others have said, I enjoy the gritty translation, not just in spite of but because of some of its flaws. "Queklain" is an odd name, to be sure, but it's no stranger than "Cu'chulainn" because there's no Ireland in Ivalice, last I checked.
>>
>>3074890

>I bought it something like a decade ago

Sorry, decade and a half ago. Jesus I've been sitting on this game for a long time.
>>
>>3074890
Though I feel that some things are really terrible about the translation (Bracelet =/= Breath is a big one for me), the overall nature of original FFT is honestly better. WotL is cool if you have friends playing it for the sake of multiplayer content, but there's a lot more superfluous content added in. Luso makes no damn sense, Balthier is even worse than Orlandu in terms of overpowered walking god characters, and Dark Knight and Onion Knight are more "hey, look at these sprites on these overpowered units" than the nice additions they could have been.

I'm not going to say it's terrible, but hindsight and countless plays of both versions over the years made me realize that WotL was surprisingly inferior.
>>
>>3075558
>Balthier is even worse than Orlandu in terms of overpowered walking god characters
Yeah.

I wish the abilities could be clever instead of "HOLY WOW HOLY GEEZ" all the time.
>>
>>3075558
>inferior
>more content
>100% optional at that
>proper translation

I'd say 'better' instead of proper but I suppose it's subjective, even though ye olde fits better in the setting. it's still a proper translation instead of the shitty job they did with the original.

the truth is that there's no 'ultimate' FFT version. PSX is missing content and PSP/mobile have lag issues (the patches don't fix it entirely) and no battle quotes.

an ultimate version would be PSX with restored content, proper translation, added WotL content, optional ye olde and mobile sprites and a widescreen hack just because.
>>
>>3076151
>ye olde fits better in the setting
no it doesn't
>>
File: dontblameme.jpg (4 KB, 168x128) Image search: [Google]
dontblameme.jpg
4 KB, 168x128
>>
>>3076924
>archaic language
>archaic setting

yes it does
>>
>>3074697
Orlandu isn't absolutely terrible so long as you get to him at an okayish level - his problem is Holy Swordsman having terribad growths, which is only a real problem if your approach to the game is to grind to 99 and steal shit.

Marche is fucking retardedly OP, though, and his only competition among uniques is Onion Knight, who is also retardedly OP if you know what you're doing. Who thought Spirit Combo was a good idea for a skill with those numbers?
>>
>>3076713
I vote for a literal actual smorgasbord
>>
>>3077280
Are you serious

Holy Swordsman has some of the best growths in the game, he even has better than average MA growth for some reason
>>
>>3077467

>>3077280 is talking about the 1.3 mod, where Orlandu took a hilarious nerf stick beating - all of his stat growths/mults were cut down, he can't equip Hats/Clothes any more, his skillset was cut down to like only have 2 skills from each Swordskill list (though it does get some Knight skills) and indirectly all Knight Swords took a nerf by being forced 2H and other assorted nerfs (Excalibur took a WP hit and is only Initial: Haste now for example.)

There's nerfing and then there's 1.3 Orlandu.

Speaking of which, I think Onion Knight took a hit in the last version of the game. Still kind of strong though.
>>
File: 1453917894155.gif (3 MB, 200x170) Image search: [Google]
1453917894155.gif
3 MB, 200x170
>>3037586
>Dark Knight is an 'I already won the game class'
Bitch, I spent hours grinding for a team of DKs before reaching Dorter in Chapter 1. By the time I was done it had made the random battles almost unwinnable for enemy DPT but I had them.
I called my squad 'The Dark Knights of Dorter.' Still got the save file on my PSP. And yeah, it does break the game but half the fun is making the journey to break it. And there's plenty of other breaking mechanics as well. Yes, I'm looking at you Orlandeau.
>>
>>3077851
See I made my party all dark Knights and it was fun getting there, but then I got there and it was a literal rape fest. If I could have the dark Knights and on 1.3 difficulty, that'd be best.
>>
>>3037219
get the original and mod it with the FTTPatcher
>battles are no longer random
>soldier offices have different jobs
>can adjust level of recruits

godly
>>
>>3077462
You really gotta wonder what crawled up this janitor's butt.
>>
File: qarcher.png (956 KB, 1105x756) Image search: [Google]
qarcher.png
956 KB, 1105x756
>>
>>3077864
>soldier offices have different jobs
>can adjust level of recruits
Huh, think I might implement this in my mod assuming I'm looking at the correct thing right now.
>>
anybody here play 1.3?

How would you summarize your experience with it?

In regular tactics, I find that it's easiest to just pick the most damaging options, and be very aggressive in battles. I never found it necessary to do more roundabout stuff. I barely touched thieves, oracles, geomancers, etc.
>>
>>3077889
>hey guiz don't mind me, just disruptin your threads with my moe dumps

/vr/ isn't your personal DeviantArt

>>>/ic/
>>
>>3078551
It alternates between really really fun in fights that aren't designed to be fucking retarded and ungodly frustrating when they are. Archael's attitude towards game design is really really shitty and it results in fights like Riovanes gates, where there's only really one strategy to win without savescumming the fight, but when he's not busy thinking "Hmm how do I make this as difficult as possible" he does a lot of things that are really really good, like the skill reworks and the maps that aren't designed to make you hate your life.
>>
>>3078551
if you're planning on playing 1.3 I advise you to get the Content patch, since enemy equipment doesn't scale based on your levels in that one
>>
>>3078665
It's the other way around, random encounters scale their gear based on your level in Content, which lets you get gear off of them without going into a story battle.
>>
>>3078668
>random encounters scale their gear based on your level in Content

how about story battles? those don't scale in Content but they do in regular 1.3, right?
>>
>>3078674
I'm pretty sure they both scale.
>>
>>3078551
>How would you summarize your experience with it?
I played it before Archael nerfed it a bunch. It was very difficult, time-consuming, and every battle was a great challenge. However some aspects really annoyed the fuck out of me, like the Item command on enemies. The fact that enemies are hardcoded to have unlimited items is a cause of extreme tedium. It evens out a good bit eventually but expect the start to be quite frustrating.

That's my opinion of the early ones, the later ones are meant to be much more balanced.
>>
File: 1453138713039.png (398 KB, 448x478) Image search: [Google]
1453138713039.png
398 KB, 448x478
>>3037230
>>3037272

Why does this exist? WHY?!
>>
>>3078570
So fanart is fine to post until you're worried one anon might compliment another.

That's silly. You're silly.
>>
>>3066420
It's a bug actually. It's demonstrated from the SomethingAwful Lets play about the game.

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics/Update%20115/

You can read about it here.
>>
File: 1448186015913.jpg (224 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1448186015913.jpg
224 KB, 850x850
>>3073950
>The guy who stole this hack paid real money for this sprite and portrait.

Makes me want to vomit.
>>
>>3078551
I like my SRPGs to be on the challenging side but 1.3 has a tendency to confuse "challenging" with "tiring slog that takes 3 hours to complete because enemies past a certain point show up with unlimited Elixirs"

I like a lot of the additional content and rebalancing on paper, but in practice the fact that enemy setups tend to be super optimized actually puts a lot of damper on what you can bring - for example, you're basically obligated to have some form of Revival on half of your team... hopefully the good skillsets like Item/White Magic instead of Punch Art's horrid no Vert Tolerance Revive.

(And I know there's a bunch of people on Youtube who can win with bizarre builds like Meltdown Monks on Assassination missions or whatever but I'm not going to take savants into account - most people are going to find certain builds a lot easier to play through the game)

Chapter 1 is boring as fuck because of the increased JP requirements for job unlocks.

Chapter 2 and 3 I find is the most fun because the interesting gear start to show up and there's a lot of viable builds and relative balance between Casters and Fighters.

Chapter 4 is a fucking nightmare where enemies all get Immortal Flags for Status immunities and no Crystalization, Elixirs up their butt, special base classes that have better stat growths than generics which turns them into Super Tanky units that can still one-shot your characters... with Thieves Hats.

There's also a handful of personal design issues that bother me, such as how Elements seem to be severely downplayed in 1.3 - Summoners have a skillset that seems very redundant to me because it had utility ripped out

Because of all that, I decided to develop my own fork for it, which probably won't appeal to those who want 1.3's brand of extreme difficulty in my mods since I really toned down the difficulty (like capping enemy gear equipment scales) but man do I think it's a lot playable when the enemy doesn't pull Elixirs out of its ass.
>>
>>3079271
>Chapter 4 is a fucking nightmare where enemies all get Immortal Flags for Status immunities and no Crystalization, Elixirs up their butt, special base classes that have better stat growths than generics which turns them into Super Tanky units that can still one-shot your characters... with Thieves Hats.
I hate this fucking bullshit so much. Having to fight non-boss enemies who have advantages you can never get AND nullify entire branches of strategy is retarded.
>>
>>3079271
I'm with you, bro
>>
File: FOK.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
FOK.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
are there any DK/OK mods for the PSX version? I got them working but there are still lots to do.
>>
FFT is such a poor, slow and shallow game. I have no idea why it got so much praise.
>>
>>3079927
Brilliant soundtrack, a protagonist that didn't suck, a cast that didn't suck actually, and the gameplay was one of the most elaborate turn-based strategies around WTF are you smoking?
>>
File: 2009-04-30-159970.png (160 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
2009-04-30-159970.png
160 KB, 1200x900
>>3079927
>shallow
bait
>>
>>3079937

Cock, I'd wager.
>>
>>3079937
Tactics Ogre is thousand times better in anything you named, yet it barely got talked about.
>>
>>3058618
>>3054528
>>3048437

OK, professor, are you gonna actually step up to the plate and make a worthy patch or just vaguely hint at one you maybe-sorta-might have every damn thread? Which is it to be?
>>
>>3079990
Don't know what the other guys are doing with their mods, but this is mine.

https://ontlogy.wordpress.com/fft-ez-8-mod/

Gonna upload a new minor update soon-ish because I made some mistakes but it's technically complete.
>>
>>3079961
funny, because ive been trying to play it for years and its garbage

>>3080013
are you this guy:
>>3079271
?
>>
>>3079937
>>3079950

>replying to him
>>
>>3079271
You basically summed up the 1.3 experience. It's only gotten worse from patch 1.3030, which may as well be the last "playable" version of the patch. It's just gotten so bad about everything where it's hard to even ignore that kind of stuff anymore.

LFT is a much better mod when it comes to actually being enjoyable, encouraging the player to experiment with builds to find set ups they like instead of punishing them blindly for it.
>>
>>3080130
Yeah, that's me.

I kind of hope I succeeded at my intended goals but I'm kind of an amateur at this.
>>
>>3080149
>It's only gotten worse from patch 1.3030
Yes and no. The skill overhauls were desperately needed, the new monsters were a good addition that made more than one of them actually viable in the framework of a 1.3 party, the equipment changes were consistently good and the new equipment added more to the game than was taken away... but the changes to story missions were annoying as fuck and made the game infinitely more frustrating at the same time.
>>
>>3079882
The Lion War when it gets done.

It'll basically be a base that adds the WOTL content to the PS1 version while staying true to the PS1's translation.
>>
>>3080330
Oh, and Ashley Riot instead of Luso.
>>
>>3080330
didn't the guy behind TLW specifically say they weren't working on DK and OK?
>>
>>3079990
I'm actually still working on mine! I will post it here when complete (very close, just playtesting now) if you're interested.
>>
>>3048437
>>3079990
>>3080851
if you're talking about the PSP script specifically, why not just use FFT:Complete?
>>
>>3080862
I did, as well as borrow a bunch of stuff from 1.3. Cheetah and Archael are on the credits right on my intro graphic. (I'm not the EZ-8 guy)
>>
>>3079882
came across a hiccup. custom generic jobs need a 'base' job to share their job points pool with, which means job level and anything learned will be reflected. for example, if I pick Squire as a base for the DK, and you have Squire mastered, DK will be mastered instantly.

this is not a problem for the OK but I'm not sure what to pick for the DK. I'm thinking Mime or Bard/Dancer since at least one of the genders will be independent.
>>
>>3080862

Because it's _not_ fucking complete. As usual with every ROMhacker since the goddamned beginning of digital time, the little schween never finished it. It's unfinished at .50.
>>
>>3081091
what's unfinished? I know the novels are unfinished but isn't the 'in-game' script 100% done?
>>
>>3081062
Can't use NPC jobs like Witch then?
>>
>>3081105

100 percent "done", but sure as fuck not "tested". There are bugs due to WOTL utilizing a character not in the PSX font set. It causes a lot of ugly on-screen garbage whenever it occurs.
>>
>>3081109
NPC jobs don't have progression, you can't level them or learn anything.

I managed a workaround by playing with Bard and Dancer genders, anyway.

is anyone interested in this? if so, I can polish it up and upload it somewhere.
>>
File: Celdia Class Patch.jpg (75 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Celdia Class Patch.jpg
75 KB, 640x480
Speaking of FFT mods to play, check out Celdia's Class Patch which tries to create a whole new set of classes and items/gear in the game.

Imbalanced as all hell but really cool - has a lot of ASM hack features like Equipment that can confer skills (e.g a Coat light armor that grants you Throw Item or Magnifying Glass Accessory that gives you Move-Find Item)

Too bad it doesn't work on actual consoles or PSP emulation.
>>
Who needs PSP or consoles with such a slow FPS, git gud.
>>
Going with mods, there's also an entirely different experience with Monster Tactics. The name might give away a bit of what it's about, but you can figure it out yourselves here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAy229cjNg&list=PLO4PtwdL3Wauw7OvAcDnsVfonChsqiAiE&index=1

It's actively updated, modder is taking suggestions and is open to criticism. It's also very fun to play. Monsters are a real danger now.
>>
>>3082087
I really need to git gud because I can't even get past Sweegy Woods in that.

Also I wish modders wouldn't make "all battles scale to player levels" the default choice for their mods - sometimes I just wanna grind past stages
>>
>>3044943
How can I patch an emulated version of FFT War of the Lions to fix the slowdown? I've tried to do it but it won't work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>>
You can always grind for JP so you can have more options to go with.

Regarding the level scaling, well, in that case, it's pretty much vanilla from there if you don't want it, or a mod that takes that into account. While I agree that having a set level can make it challenging (by being underleveled) or fair (same level), just being able to steamroll fights by outleveling them is just plain boring.

Plus, some mods have been worked on in such a way that steamrolling them like that would not let you appreciate the mechanics built into it.
>>
>>3082229
>sometimes I just wanna grind past stages
Which defeats the point of a balance mod because of the way FFT is designed - unless you're designing story battles with only one winning strategy, which is absolutely fucktarded for multiple reasons, you're not likely to have a grasp on what level the player is going to be at, especially because different build strategies will have different XP income rates. Someone who relies heavily on a relatively safe strategy, like grinding enemies down while they can't fight back due to heavy status effect usage or someone who out-sandbags enemies to gradually build up action advantages over the AI, is going to have far more levels than a player who builds for quick and decisive wins.
>>
>>3082240
Make sure the patch is going to the correct ISO region for starters.
>>
>>3082248
One solution is to just set all player job growths to 255 so that leveling is either disadvantageous or the effect is negligible, and more of a reflection of the type of scaled equipment enemies will carry.

I've toyed with the idea a bit here and there.
>>
>>3082692

I'm more interested in games without leveling these days.

I like the idea of having jobs having certain stats that are just set, and then as you use them you unlock skills. Then you can have things like gear choices and sub ability choices adding the customization.

Level ups are probably the single worst thing about srpg's because it makes them way too easy if you level, and if you actively avoid leveling it can make them way harder then needed.
>>
>>3082697
Or even worse, it can introduce Fire Emblem types of turn scumming for better level ups.
>>
>>3081105
He used an old version of TactText for one thing, meaning there's stupid little errors around because of it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.