[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Checked the catalog, didn't see an emulator general or anything.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Nintendo-64-wController-L[1].jpg (4 MB, 5820x2640) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-64-wController-L[1].jpg
4 MB, 5820x2640
Checked the catalog, didn't see an emulator general or anything.

What's the best and the most current N64 emulators for PC these days?
>>
>>2873930
PJ64 1.7 if you can find it.
Though 1964 if you want mouse and keyboard in GE/PD. But otherwise PJ64.
N64 is going nowhere fast and given it pretty shoddy library it's sort of understandable.
>>
>>2873998
>N64 is going nowhere fast and given it pretty shoddy library it's sort of understandable.

"shoddy library" or not, I wish emulation was better, I want to properly play Mischief Makers and Goemon.
>>
>>2874000
Have you considered using actual hardware?
>>
>>2874002

the only country where the N64 actually sold well was USA. If you arent from there, you are very fucked trying to make yourself a N64 library
>>
>>2874002

I'm poor as fuck
>>
>>2874002
Nice try.
Have you considered that people aren't going to buy the entire N64 library to play each game?
>>2873998
Thanks.
>>
The new PJ64 comes with malware in the installer, so don't download it from the official website. PJ64 1.6 still works great though. I've also heard that Mupen64Plus is pretty good (it's also open source), but my computer is too shitty to run it at full speed. If you have a Wii, the Virtual Console is very good and the Not64 emulator for Wii is compatible with most of the good titles.

>>2874017

I think that guy was talking about flash carts.
>>
>>2874029
>I've also heard that Mupen64Plus is pretty good (it's also open source), but my computer is too shitty to run it at full speed.

I tried that out a while back, and it worked pretty well on most of the games I threw at it. But I didn't have any speed issues, and my PC's kind of junky. Did you mess with the settings?
>>
>>2874032

I'm running Linux on a Toshiba laptop from the early or mid 2000's, so it's probably a problem with my computer. PJ64 and 1964 in Wine give me some occasional stuttering with the right settings, but it's certainly playable. Regardless, I'm looking into Wii emulation to see if it helps at all.
>>
>>2874049
>I'm running Linux on a Toshiba laptop from the early or mid 2000
Oh wow... I am so sorry. Is there anything we can do to help?
>>
http://nonmame.retrogames.com <--- best overall list for emulation accuracy. Scroll down to the system you're looking for info on.

http://www.libretro.com <--- Retroarch, best 'all in one' solution and it is multi-console and multi-platform. Note that Retroarch wins out in many of the most accurate emulators in the list above (including N64 using mupen64plus core), but isn't the best for everything.

http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources.html <--- Best emulators for TAS/game input recording.

Keep in mind emulators that satisfy high-accuracy are not necessary the best feature-wise. Some emulators not in that list might only be a few % under the 'best' ones in terms of accuracy but offer tons of other features like netplay, better UIs/configuration options/compatibility, etc.
>>
>>2873930
>Checked the catalog, didn't see an emulator general or anything.

>>2861528
>>
>>2875224
>nonmame

Don't trust one guy's opinion. That guy always had a tendency to pick out the popular emulators over the "accurate" ones anyway.

You should be using and recommending the damn wiki instead of randomly linking to other crap:
emulation.gametechwiki.com
>>
>>2873930
Not very closely apparently.

>>2861528
>>
>>2873930
Best way to do what you want to do is with a RGB modded N64 and an Everdrive 64 v3
>>
>>2874049

Hey, I like emulating on shitware too. But uhh,

>toshiba from early or mid 2000's

dude. I have a couple netbooks which are probably the same power level, and Mupen64Plus runs full speed on SM64 but choppy on everything else.

My thinkpad x200 I'm typing this on also qualifies as "old", and it handles every N64 game I throw at it. (Mupen64Plus under 32-bit Lubuntu 14.04).

My x200 was $35 w/ no HDD, I also got a real scratched up one with no HDD for $25. I'm at about $115 right now ($35 Laptop + $30 SSD + $40 new OEM 9-cell + $10 adapter), but you can cut down on that by a bit if you just reuse an old HDD and don't bother with a battery or just get a chinkshit 6-cell.

Friends don't let friends use old Toshibas, m8. Out of curiosity, what's the model number?

>>>/g/tpg
>>
>>2874007
>buy n64
>buy everdrive 64
viola

>>2873998
>shoddy library
the emulation status of the n64 has nothing to do with the library, don't say shit like that cause people will believe it you fucking nigger
>>
>>2877002
N64s library is massively overrated, mostly 1st gen 3D junk but it has some gems in there.

in b4 memes like DK64 is a good game, it's a good game to people because they played it when they were 8, it's the samefaggotry of the older crowd who thinks the NES library is phenomenal as opposed to littered with shit. There are gems on every console, except for maybe CD-i and the Pippin
>>
>>2873930
Sage this thread, there is already one general emulation thread clogging up /vr/
>>
>>2873930
Currently using mgba and occasionally I'll accidentally press "\" on my keyboard.

Whenever I do this the game freezes and if I press "\" again it'll skip a second and then freeze again. I get a snip of sound from the game but can't move and no other inputs work.

What's going on here?

Thanks!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.