[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the chances Square Enix actually listens to fans and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10
File: what.png (1 MB, 1351x900) Image search: [Google]
what.png
1 MB, 1351x900
What are the chances Square Enix actually listens to fans and gives us a proper re-release?

I see people actually calling this Mobile and Steam port great looking and I just don't see it. Is it me, or is it them?
>>
final fantasy fags.
pls stahp
>>
>>2851680

what
>>
>>2851690
I think he means this:
>>2850996
>>2850464
>>2851168
>>2845429
>>2836435
>>
File: 1394762680687.jpg (36 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
1394762680687.jpg
36 KB, 500x469
>>2851673
You deserve what you get, you fucking consumer whore.

>>2851714
Thank you for compiling my argument for me. Square-Enix has no interest in making novel games when they can just regurgitate the same shit every few years. It works because of dipshits like OP who continue to feed the beast.

We found the enemy and it was us.

Since there are enough of these stupid FF remake threads going on, let's make this one different. I hereby hijack this thread in the name of variety. New topic:

>"Remakes: what do we hope to gain from them?"

Discuss remakes, why people want them, why some do not, what's good about them, what's bad about them, and games that have both succeeded and failed to mean anything in their second incarnation.

Admittingly this has little to do with retro directly because developers in the past had the self-respect to release new games rather than facelifts, however the slew of remake threads concerning retro games is relevant (and disgusting), and the janitor doesn't exist.
>>
>>2851967
Good. To be honest with you the only remake I've been interested in was The Ur-Quan Masters, and that's because it's a community made project with some major overhauls in music and all. But mostly because it's a community project. The intention, and result, is different than say fucking BGEE or whatnot.
>>
The textbox looks awful, the sprites terrible, that filter is disgusting. Yet it is well received. People are retarded, OP. They actually like shit like hq3x filters.

That isn't a remake, it's a shit version of the game, not only it looks worse, it doesn't even qualify for a remake, what little difference there is, it is awful. Fuck that shit to be honest.
>>
>>2851967
I know the subject of e celebs and gaming channels is frowned upon here but I want to point out the episode of Game Theories wherein they discuss what's really killing gaming.

Looking at the statistics (as you hinted at in your first sentence), the people to blame are the people who constantly buy this stuff.

Businesses are gonna business and ultimately go with what's more popular. It's why Call of Duty and it's spin offs, clones, rip offs are dominating a market as well as these shitty remakes are coming out.

People stick with what's familiar no matter how shit it is, and apparently this is just familiar enough for people who don't care (like this board does) to stomach.
>>
>>2851673
I doubt it to be honest. I don't think there will ever be a proper remake with remastered sprites, at least on the tier of the PSP remakes, anytime soon. Maybe if someone gets some brains at Square, but, knowing the consumer, most people will just buy this shit without even thinking about it.

>>2851967
I think this post will cause more of a shitstorm than actually help anything. Should of just made another thread to help push the other ones off. At least most of those threads are discussing video games, but, I'll talk.

With remakes I generally desire to have an easier way to play and experience most games. I lost my collection back in 05 during hurricane Katrina, and I haven't really been able to afford picking up a lot of things I had when I was younger due to their ridiculous price and my frugal, or stingy depending on how you look at it, outlook when it comes to purchasing. Remakes usually allow me a way to actually play games I want to on another console. Now, this is not always a good thing as most people know. Sometimes the developers wish to add things, which can work out find look at most of the Disgaea games for examples of this, however, a lot of the time the extra content tacked on is pointless and lacking. The Chrono Trigger DS dungeon and items come to mind. Why the hell does Chrono need a weapon stronger than the Rainbow? It's fucking pointless at that point, and the bonus boss/ending is just cheesy and lackluster at best and defeats the entire point of the game in the long run. While the DS Port is what I'd still call the definitive version of Chrono Trigger, I still find the extra content added to it pointless and lacking as stated above.

The other end of the coin is the remakes I'd call money grabbing. The PS4 remasters of PS3 games come to mind. It's just a cheap excuse for a developer to port their game cheaply for massive profits. The Last of Us port comes to mind for this. Continued in next post if I don't fall asleep.
>>
>>2851673

There was a decent re-release with the GBA port with actual additional content, like new optional super bosses and new espers
>>
File: 7d070b6c130133fe0f4f2687eeebb486.jpg (802 KB, 1200x1183) Image search: [Google]
7d070b6c130133fe0f4f2687eeebb486.jpg
802 KB, 1200x1183
>>2851984
The game itself doesn't actually bring as much as it should for being totted as a next gen remake of a game. It's a simple port and offers really nothing new. This is a bigger issue due to the fact they're only a generation apart. If it was several generations it could be understood.

The reason why I fault TLoU and not like the Disgaea ports to PSP is because there's added functionality to it. The inherent gain of being portable, on top of the extra content is a worthwhile deal and worthy of being a "proper" remake instead of being a completely lazy port.

Then there's remakes that sort of hit the middle ground. The Ocarina of Time remake to the 3DS comes to mind. While it does run better, controls better, and adds some bonus content, many are not sated with it. It loses some of the atmosphere of the original N64 games with it's brighten graphics and this is a loss for some people. I'm personally not really on either side of this debate since I'm not really as big of an OOT fan as others, but, I can see where both sides are coming from. One I can personally relate more is FFT on the PS1 vs WotL on the PSP. The translation and bonus content in that game divides people in the community a lot. A lot, myself included, find the translation superfluous and too flowery for it's own good. It's become a joke and makes it that much harder to take the game seriously.

The last type I'd like to touch on are purely awful remakes. Tales of Phantasia for the Gameboy Advance is the number one game that comes to mind for me. It's a horrendous mess from it's original counterpart. Everything about it has been fucked up and it shows. The translation, the gameplay, the sound, there isn't a part of that game left that hasn't been soiled. These are truly the worst types of remake, since even the lazy port brings merit to the table on the point of being able to play it on another system. A broken port is just a sad excuse of a game that has been ruined.
>>
File: m9q67fECmo1r4vyabo1_500.jpg (217 KB, 500x408) Image search: [Google]
m9q67fECmo1r4vyabo1_500.jpg
217 KB, 500x408
>>2851995
In short, I feel like certain types of remake can be good or bad depending on the situation at hand. For example, if ten years from now Naughty Dog was to port TLoS like they did recently, I wouldn't have as much qualms with it since it's a fairly older title at that point. Releasing a game to let older players experience it again, and give newer players a way to play it for the first time is something I can't fault.

Will a remake appeal to everyone? Of course not, someone will be disappointed by it in some aspect or another no matter how much they loved the original game. In fact I'd argue that those who love the original title more are more likely to be let down by remakes than the more casual fan. I don't think remakes are wrong in any sense, however, depending on the circumstance I can find them distasteful.

I dunno though man, this is just my opinion though.
>>
It's like they don't even care about handhelds anymore.

They kinda don't.
>>
Jesus christ that is so fucking ugly.

Glad I still have my SNES cart even if I am somehow 20 levels underleveled for the final dungeon on half my party and will need to grind for hours to get those useless fucks I've had sitting on an airship for half the game up to speed
>>
Nobody cares about FF6 save some hipters on /vr/ and reddit, 4 is the most loved by SE and FF fans, and there's much evidence for it
>>
File: arle.png (25 KB, 309x240) Image search: [Google]
arle.png
25 KB, 309x240
>that font
>those filters
>those redrawn player sprites
>>
>>2851673
they commented at one point that they'd like to remake 6 in the way that they remaking 7, acknowledging that it has gotten the shaft for being the second most popular FF. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
File: 1449655903899.png (136 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449655903899.png
136 KB, 500x500
>>2852235
>being the second most popular FF
>>
File: avert.gif (1 MB, 500x218) Image search: [Google]
avert.gif
1 MB, 500x218
It's them.
>>
>>2852205
You could always abuse the moogle with no encounter relic and then just use the vanish glitch on the bosses. Only to beat the 3 teams climbing the tower section of course.
>>
hey stupid fucks.

we only need one ff6 thread

or you can take it to your dead garbage general
>>
>>2852284
Fuck you, you don't tell me what to do.
>>
>>2852235
Japan doesn't like VI though. III, IV and V are consistently more popular and acclaimed over there. So you can expect a new VI remake after a full-fledged V remake for a next gen handheld (never). Maybe. If the stars align just right.
>>
File: 1449990605251.jpg (32 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1449990605251.jpg
32 KB, 400x267
>>2851996
I live in LA too, do you want to be friends? I live in Baton Rouge
>>
I used to get excited over this shit, 10 years ago.
Not anymore, though. It got old real quick. FF4 DS was and is the last remake i'll ever buy.
So sick of this shit, why can't they do something new? If they want to cater to fans of FF5 and 6...

Why don't they make a Magi War prequel to FF6, if they want to do something with it?

Why don't they just make a Dawn Warriors ( Galuf and the other 3 originals that sealed ExDeath prior to ff5 ) prequel if they want to do something with FF5?

I'd rather have a half-assed Something New, than a half-assed Same Shit Different Device.
>>
>>2852350
>trusting SE with extended universe shit
>wanting a Compilation of FFVI
>wanting FFV-2 Type-5 the Return of Galuf
Besides it's always exciting to see your favorite characters and places in a new light with new graphics, you can't deny it. Everyone wished to play their favorite games with next-gen technologies as a kid. That's a powerful drive.
>>
>>2852361
>Everyone wished to play their favourite games with next-gen technologies as a kid.
Well, you got me there, I guess. I'd most certainly buy a Legend of Mana remake that has lots of new quests and shit added, but I know it will never ever happen so I never bother to bring it up.
>>
>>2852284

QQ more anon
>>
>Mobile version is the GBA version with better font, SNES music (without of need of hacks) achievements (if they are your thing) and more bug fixes
>People dissing it because of the shit character sprites
>>
>>2851673
>What are the chances Square Enix actually listens to fans and gives us a proper re-release?

I doubt it would happen unless the company is about to go under.
>>
>>2851673
the most unforgivable thing for me in these ports is that god awful bubble ui.
everything that has that looks like cheap chinese shit.
>>
>>2852445
It's made for mobile, if course it needs that kind of god awful UI.
>>
File: 1412345135678.png (238 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1412345135678.png
238 KB, 420x420
>>2852218
No.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.