[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone using an old RGB-projector to play retro games? Picture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
Anyone using an old RGB-projector to play retro games?

Picture on those old Selecos was amazing.
>>
This really needed it's own thread, thanks OP
>>
>>2809425
Don't sage his thread asshole.
>>
>>2809457
This belongs in /crt/ you retarded mongoloid

What conversation was supposed to even happen here? "yeah they're great". /thread.
>>
>>2809469
Shut the fuck up kid you don't wanna make me mad.
>>
>>2809472
How about ignoring me and adding to the conversation instead? Don't take it so fucking personally.

No, really. I actually want to see if this thread will generate any productive conversation. Until then:

>>2797334
>>
>>2809482
How about shutting the fuck up before I kick your ass bitch?
>>
>>2809483
Uh-huh, that's what I thought. Have a nice day, and don't forget to breathe.
>>
>>2809484
>don't forget to breathe

Wow bro you're so fucking witty right now! Hahahahahaha NO. Get the hell out of OP's thread.

>>2809390
Hey man I'm sorry about that asshole shitting up your thread but I just want you to know not to let him get to you. You're a great guy who made a great thread and I hope you get the great replies you deserve.
>>
>>2809472
>>
so much butthurt in this thread. wheres the retro discussion?
>>
And I thought /v/ was bad
>>
File: 1435056828263.jpg (18 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
1435056828263.jpg
18 KB, 366x380
>>2809493
>replying
>>
>>2809495
It was literally just 3 people, one's the apologetic prick and I was trying to let it die before he bumped it and more people started posting in it

Which reminds me, stop posting in this thread.

>>2797334
>>
>>2809506
You really think I'm still not here cunt? Why don't you reply to me next time you're gonna insult me instead of acting like a little pussy?
>>
>>2809525
No, I don't think that. Because I wasn't replying to you. Bye~
>>
>>2809535
That's it punk I'm gonna lick your ass until it's black and blue.
>>
File: benderneat.jpg (35 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
benderneat.jpg
35 KB, 500x491
>>2809425
>>2809457
>>2809469
>>2809472
>>2809472
>>2809482
>>2809483
>>2809484
>>2809489
>>2809493
>>2809495
>>2809498
>>2809501
>>2809506
>>2809525
>>2809538
GREAT TALK ABOUT PROJECTORS EVERYONE

GREAT JOB
>>
>>2809390
So whats the benefits or playing on projectors rather than tvs or monitors?
>>
>>2809643

You can project.
>>
File: Pennywise.gif (949 KB, 243x339) Image search: [Google]
Pennywise.gif
949 KB, 243x339
>>2809650
>projecting this hard
>>
/vr/ is shit

/v/ a best
>>
>>2809390
That's a neat projector OP, I've never seen anything like it. What kind of image does it give?
>>
>>2809752

A projected one.
>>
this thread
>>
File: sage.this.thread.gif (14 KB, 93x31) Image search: [Google]
sage.this.thread.gif
14 KB, 93x31
>>2809858
needs to die already

>>2797334
>>
>>2809870

Projecting much? :^)
>>
>>2809881
You obviously don't know what that means
>>
>>2809390

A projector that projects red green and blue as seperate channels? Neat, didn't even think these existed,
>>
I am also interested to know what the hell this is, how the image looks, and if there's input lag like all other projectors.
>>
i am truly sorry for your lots.
>>
I'd also like to know, what's the difference between that and a regular projector?
Video game wise, of course.
>>
File: projector.jpg (21 KB, 281x375) Image search: [Google]
projector.jpg
21 KB, 281x375
>>2809390
My family had one of these a long time ago (late 70's/very early 80's). It looked like pic related and had a wired remote and manual (dial) tuner. I had my own little black and white TV in my room, but I'd sometimes hook up the Atari 2600 to the projector when friends would come over.
>>
>>2809928
>>2809936
>>2809971
Seriously? The projector In OPs pic is an analog CRT projector similar to but larger and more powerful than the ones in the old school rear projection SDTVs you can probably find people who will pay you to take online.

Large stand alone ones like this were used for presentations like in auditoriums and bars. They possess the same direct draw properties as other CRTs but they don't produce the same color intensity though they can come close with the right kind of screen material and before you ask, yes you can play traditional light gun games with them.
>>
File: 1411886940197.png (207 KB, 650x617) Image search: [Google]
1411886940197.png
207 KB, 650x617
I used to use one of those or one like it to play nes and snes games in college. I was the student government president and my best friend the parliamentarian and I would get to out big seminar hall meeting space an hour early to play shit like Clash at Demonhead or Zelda II on the huge projector screen. I remember having a few instances where the student affairs advisor or one of the campus security officers showed up to check who was using the space and ended up participating. And now I'm an SGU advisor myself and bring my Gameboy discreetly to work. Memories, man. Don't expect to get much past Bald Bull in punch out on one of these, I can tell you that.
>>
>>2809498
/vr/ is just /v/ with video games
>>
>>2809985
>they don't produce the same color intensity
What are you talking about, CRT FP was the ultimate and most accurate way to screen movies in the analog days. You just need a dark room.
>>
>WHY DOES IT HAVE THREE LIGHTS? HOW DOES IT WORK?
Because it's a CRT projector. The tubes in CRT projectors only make one color. You know the kind of screen they use on oscilloscopes that only make green lines? Same thing. Why? Because when there is only one color, you don't need an aperture grill or shadow mask to split up the different colors, which means you can run the tube a LOT brighter without some hunk of metal in the front getting hot and distorting. Of course, the downside to this is you have to use three tubes, and more importantly you have to line the picture up. CRT projectors take a lot of adjustment to get perfect.

Another thing to keep in mind is without a grill or mask, the resolution of the tube is purely down to how fast the coils can move the beam around. There are CRT projectors designed and built in the 90s that can do well over 1080p resolution, but that's not really retro.

The downside of using tubes like this in a projector is they are susceptible to burn in. Not only from static pictures, but the adjustment of the set will change the raster on the tubes. If you use the projector too close to the screen, then you might make the picture on the face of the tube smaller so it fits on the screen. If the projector happened to be set up like this for a long time and then moved, there would be a color shift at the outer edges of the picture, since you would now be using parts of the raster that hadn't been baked by electrons.

As for lag, I'm honestly not sure. It would depend entirely on the set. A lot of them have no internal scaling circuits, and actually if you run them out of the capabilities of the hardware you can do damage to the set. But I couldn't tell you which or why.

And they don't get terribly bright, so you do have to be in a dark room with a good screen to get the most out of them.

http://www.curtpalme.com/index.shtml This guy has a lot of info on sets, but mostly related to home theater use.
>>
>>2810023
Uhhhh no. The ultimate and most accurate way to screen movies in the analog days was from real cellulose, Dumbass.

There are quite good CRT projectors out there but my point was that even the best CRT projectors can't match the color intensity of a direct view CRT of the same quality because of the inherent loss that comes from the screen material but the fact that you didn't even understand what I was saying doesn't stop your claim from also being wrong and stupid.
>>
>>2810351
I left out the "at home" part, but your gentlemanly correction on that point has been well received as a testament of your personal quality, I promise you.

Your second paragraph is nonsense, sadly. Even using an aperture grille, direct view is inherently flawed thanks to the grille obstructing and distorting the image. Corner focus and screen geometry are also issues that don't affect FP. i get that you're probably one of the /crt/ regulars and must have a mountain of at least 10 PVMs going unused at any given point in time, but please don't eat everything your support group has been feeding you. Direct view isn't perfect. High-end home theater has always been the exclusive domain of front projection.
>>
File: athf-s04e11[1].jpg (68 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
athf-s04e11[1].jpg
68 KB, 250x187
>>2810376
>Implying I don't also have a CRT projector
>Implying that front projection TVs are or ever were good
Pic related is you
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.