[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought myself a new 3DS this Christmas and I'm looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: no more emerald version.jpg (190 KB, 740x420) Image search: [Google]
no more emerald version.jpg
190 KB, 740x420
I bought myself a new 3DS this Christmas and I'm looking to transition back into Pokemon, after a decently long hiatus, through either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.

I have played through all the games, in-depth, up to Gen III and a halfheartedly through Gen IV (Platinum). I know I've probably missed a lot in that time.

Is there anything of grave importance that I should know about before I get back into it? I've only heard of mega evolutions and certain 3ds apps that (might ?) hand out perks. Anything that would make my transition more painless would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Once you get Exp.Share turn it off.
>>
>>24895518
>Anything that would make my transition more painless would be greatly appreciated.
Don't buy it. It's terrible.
>>
Well, there are a LOT of legendaries in the games:

http://serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/legendary.shtml

And here's some info about some of the Mega Evolutions:

http://serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/megaevolutions.shtml
>>
When you get to Delta Episode, make sure to play this during its duration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zZus_1_ag
>>
>>24895535
During the battle between Mega Rayquaza and Deoxys?
>>
>>24895518
don't play ORAS, the remakes are worse due to you still meeting a zigzagoon and whismur in every corner of the planet.

Supposedly you can find a Zorua at route 1, but what's the point if it's locked up until the end game? Just play Emerald randomized on an emulator with speedtoggle. That's more the pokemon experience than you'll ever get from ORAS.
>>
>>24895529
>>24895541
Really? I know I'm being biased here but wouldn't I like the remakes if I both played and liked Ruby and Emerald?

Besides the delta episode that I've been hearing about, I don't know if there's a lot I won't like.

I won't be trying to be the very best that no one ever was. I don't think I'll try to get into pro-strats or online battles.
>>
>>24895543
>wouldn't I like the remakes if I liked
no, the remakes aren't better, therefore you'll only dislike them.
>>
>>24895518

I was in a similar position OP except the last game I had played was crystal as a kid. I played AS and it seemed stupidly easy. All my pokemon were way higher level than most trainers I fought throughout the game. The rivals were so easy, I remember having trouble fighting the rival in the old games. I don't remember any of the early games being this dull.

I like some of the new stuff like unlimited TM and the thing that lets you search for pokemon but I wish they would let you turn on a hard mode at the start or something that makes everything a lot harder.
>>
>>24895543
If you're rich or something and have lots of time, then go ahead and just try it out for yourself. If not, then don't bother.
I didn't like ORAS as well as XY, so I'm sure I just have a problem with the 3DS games (unless this "Z" game delivers) but both of them felt rushed, lazy and unenjoyable.
>>
Well this is thread almost entirely killed my hopes of rekindling my pokemon spirit,

Is Heart Gold or Soul Silver even worth a look?
>>
>>24895560
Defenitely. The DS gens all personally felt more enjoyable than the 3DS ones.
>>
>>24895558
I got ORAS for free and I didn't like it.
>>
>>24895560
Plat, HGSS, BW and BW2 are worth playing, they're the best pokemon games out there.
>>
>>24895560
No, they're awful and the most boring games of the franchise.
>>
>>24895635
any particular reason why?

If anything, I have to say that gen II was my favorite.
>>
>>24895518
I used to be in a similar situation to OP, I fell out of love with the series at the start of gen IV (only played Pearl), then I came back with XY and I loved it. I think you should go with either of them rather than ORAS, as pure remakes they're fine but they bring nothing new to the table and even removed some stuff compared to Emerald. X and Y will feel like an entirely new experience which is the better option after a long hiatus.
>>
>>24895646
I'm going to be honest with you. When this was still fresh in my mind, I started disliking the pokemon designs around gen IV. Seeing what gen V looked like made me stay away from all the games after platinum.

This is why I thought ORAS would be a nice way to wean into the new games. But as I'm sure you can see, I'm pretty turned off the idea of ORAS at this point.
>>
>>24895639
It doesn't fix many of the problems of gen 2, doesn't really add something interesting and i couldn't go over the 60 hours with it. It's a problem because since Emerald i've always brought the clock to 999:59 in every game. Maybe it's the gen IV engine? Dunno because i had no problem with Pearl and Crystal was one of my favorite games. It's just super boring to play. Maybe i had no problem with ORAS because i knew what to expect and it just clicked. Never had a problem with FRLG either.

>>24895665
>i'm pretty turned off of ORAS thanks to a thread on /vp/
Wow, what amazing judgemental skills you have.
>>
>>24895706
I may not be completely turned off, but some good points were made.

If I liked FRLG will I like ORAS?

I don't care about having a 10/10 story. I won't be playing competitively. And, I don't really care if it doesn't add tons more content to the original Ruby/Sapphire game play. I've been away fromthe franchise for a while and I just want to play a game.

To be honest, I'd be ok with ORAS just being an HD remake of Ruby and Sapphire.
>>
>>24895726
If you really don't care about anything and just want a HD remake of RS then go ahead.
>>
>>24895726
>don't really care if it doesn't add tons more content to the original Ruby/Sapphire game play
If you can play Emerald instead. Why bother?
>>
>>24895731
>HD
I cant even tell anymore
>>
>>24895726
As a remake, ORAS is fine, it improves on the story and characters and is faithful to the originals. /vp/ hates it because it lacks the amount of postgame that was in Emerald (the Battle Frontier), but if you're fine with that, go ahead. I still say you should restart with XY, gen 6 Pokémon designs are great.
>>
I don't think I'd be wrong by saying you should get HGSS instead of ORAS.
>>
>>24895543

Either this is a case of trolls trolling trolls or you're new here. I'm going to assume you're just new though and set you straight:
All the responces you'll get saying "game X is rubbish" are basically trolls, all the main series games have been decent and quality started to leap up with Black and White (some would even argue Heart Gold and Soul Silver) and has continued to improve and modernise ever since.

Basically the remakes are the same games as you played but with better graphics and a few things stuck on or improved. There is no battle frontier, which disappointed some who didn't figure out that a remake of Ruby and Sapphire wouldn't have a feature only found in Emerald, but it does have the battle resort which is an improved and tweaked version of the battle maison in X and Y.

Your pokedex is now greatly expanded and you'll have even more fun filling it now, but most is attainable between ORAS and XY with relative ease. The EXP Share works much better now as does exp for your pokemon so you'll have some good teams for battling with online quite soon.
>>
>>24895518
Don't listen to the fagholes on /vp/. OrAS is good. Better than any main game in a long time.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 310x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 310x431
If you can, get HGSS.
If you can't, get BW.
If you can't, get XY.
If you can't, get B2W2.
If you can't, get Super Mystery Dungeon.
If you can't, get ORAS.
>>
File: ho-oh.jpg (103 KB, 825x454) Image search: [Google]
ho-oh.jpg
103 KB, 825x454
>>24895560
HGSS is my favorite main series game in the franchise. I consider Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 to be the holy quadrilateral of Pokémon (BW1 is also worth playing since BW2 is a direct sequel instead of just being a third version and it references things that happen in BW1; it also has a completely different regional Dex so that changes things up).

I'm positive that guy saying HGSS is the worst game is a shitposter, there's always one guy who defends ORAS by shitting on Emerald and/or HGSS. I found ORAS to be a disappointment and recommend avoiding it.
>>
>>24896421
>I found ORAS to be a disappointment and recommend avoiding it.

Reasons?
Thought not.
>>
>>24898376
I actually did write a list of things I found wrong with ORAS today in another thread. >>24896551
>>
>>24898387

I'll counter a few of your 'cons' for the sake of fairness (maybe when you see the error of your ways you'll enjoy ORAS a bit more)

It's a Ruby Saphire remake, not an Emerald one though, why would you expect a remake of Emerald when the games are called Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire? it's not as if they only released one remake and it was called Beta Emerald or something, the clue is in the name.

Exp share doesn't "ruin" a game any more than the new exp/levelling system does (which is none), of course if you don't realise that the games do this to encourage you to raise a wider variety of pokemon to higher levels during your adventure than the same 6 pokemon team throughout the whole game then maybe you would have to switch it off so you can "enjoy" fighting every battle with just your starter and defeating the object of having hundreds of pokemon to choose from with different natures, IV etc. I guess some people might enjoy that more.

[sarcasm]Oh, how simply horrid, to be forced to carry Lati@s in your party for a short time for plot reasons! The fiends! Robbed of the fun of catching a runner! Straight into the bin with you £30+ game. I have never been so disgusted in my whole life.[/sarcasm]

I do miss Voltorb flip and berry blending too though, although I'd hardly call that reason enough to be disapointed with ORAS when it gives you decent post game battling fun like the Delta episode and battle resort (and also near post game like the mirage spots and mirage islands) and expands the wreck area by turning it into an oil rig to not upset South Koreans.

Safari game has always been shit though I'm glad it was replaced with something less random than throwing rocks and food at the poor creatures.
>>
>>24898387

At least half of your cons in the linked post are positives for me. Safari Game can die in a fire.
>>
>>24898589
Not that guy, but I'll bite.

>It's a Ruby Saphire remake, not an Emerald one though,
Yet HGSS were Gold and Silver remakes that had Crystal elements in it.
Also, that's a poor excuse for them not to include content from an updated version of the games released over a decade ago. You're defending them for being lazy to include more content.
Shit, I don't even care about the BF that much and even I know how much bullshit that was,

>Exp share doesn't "ruin" a game any more than the new exp/levelling system does (which is none), of course if you don't realise that the games do this to encourage you to raise a wider variety of pokemon to higher levels during your adventure
This wouldn't have been a problem had GF decided to up the difficulty of the game based on this inclusion. A tool made for people who want to raise more Pokemon? Cool. Just make the game more difficult so players won't curbstomp every thing they come across.

>Lati@s
The point is that the game is being more handholdy than before, in addition to railroading the player. Yes, the running thing could've been fixed but it just goes to show that GF is too lazy to think of actual improvements so they have to gimp everything.
>>
File: personal usage list.png (277 KB, 809x948) Image search: [Google]
personal usage list.png
277 KB, 809x948
>>24898589
>It's a Ruby Saphire remake, not an Emerald one though, why would you expect a remake of Emerald when the games are called Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire?

Because HGSS had almost all of Crystal's content (and don't use the "FRLG didn't have following Pikachu!" argument because Yellow is the anime tie-in fourth version, Jap Blue is the third version and it added almost nothing). If they really fucking wanted to just make RS in 3D with no improvements, why did they change so much? How can you justify "they're RS remakes :^)" when they turned Mauville into a shopping mall and removed features like the Safari Game that were in RS? And even if that WAS their intention (it clearly isn't, since they changed so much shit), it's still a shitty intention and you shouldn't defend remaking the inferior version of a game instead of taking the superior version as the base and then changing the few things needed to make it work as two versions, like HGSS did with Crystal as a base. Would you defend them remaking Sinnoh and having only one Fire-type in the regional Dex that isn't one of the starters?

I'll have you know I use a full team of six in every game I play. And that my team ranged from 75 to 85 at the Champion battle in XY when I didn't know to turn the Exp. Share off. Why would I constantly switch out my team like Ash? If I want to use a Pokémon, I'll use it, if not this playthrough then another. Pic related is a chart I filled out a while back, every Pokémon I can remember using, and the list has gotten more filled out since. I've used hundreds of Pokémon, and constantly switching out every member of my party for a freshly caught one like N isn't necessary for me to use a wide variety, though it could be neat as a gimmick run one day.

>[sarcasm]
Go away.
>>
>>24896370
>Better than any main game in a long time.

good joke.
>>
>>24895529
>>24895518
>>24895541
>>24895543

I like how you try to become subtle since the mods started to mass ban bait threads, but the OP pic and the ip count still give you away. Dunno why someone's autism against a game would go this far.
>>
>>24895560

not sure if b8 or some newfag actually fell for all the /v/ shitposting and falseflag.
>>
>>24899038
Yeah, this daily threads are still the goodraguy/oras hater kid most of the times. Why would he ban evade every day just to sperg at some game he never played? That's the mystery about him.
>>
>>24895518
Just play it, the base game is still the same, with a few extra features. Megas are easy to grasp.
>>
>>24895726
>If I liked FRLG will I like ORAS?

Yes. And don't use /vp/ as a source to anything. It got infested by /v/ shitposters since mid 2014 and has been halfway unusable ever since.
>>
File: 1364633205115.png (26 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1364633205115.png
26 KB, 320x287
>>24899060
>that one guy who goes into every thread with an anti-ORAS vibe and claims it's slugfucker

You're as autistic as the guy you claim to be exposing. At least you aren't quoting every single post that doesn't call ORAS GOTY .
>>
Thank you guys for all your input. I'm sorry it devolved into trolls trolling trolls. But I honestly just wanted an opinion. I'm not from /vp/. I lurk other boards. I just thought this would be a good place to ask, considering the board name.

I'm still turn to be quite honest. But I think I'm going to buy Alpha Saphire tomorrow. And if I don't like it, I can just sell it locally and get Soul Silver. It's a real shame Nintendo doesn't release more demos, I feel like I could have made a better decision with it.
>>
>>24900616

There is an ORAS demo though, it is not much but it will take you through the basics of things that have changed since you last played like mega evolution and give you a few items you can transfer into a copy of ORAS. Play it a few times and it'll give you a megastone too.

Basically though if you enjoyed pokemon in the past you'll enjoy ORAS and XY.

>>24898784

That's not really a lot of pokemon to have tried out.

I notice that the few you have tried out seem to have been evolved to their maximum or were caught fully evolved.

I also have a suspicion you haven't played XY and BW1. For XY I base this on the fact you seem to have only used 5 of the new pokemon and evolved them all the way. Playing through the game it would be very hard to miss out on certain pokemon early on.
For BW you seem to have used 13 pokemon in the whole game, this is not a good maximum number for a game that forced you to use a whole new dex, so I assume you must have just played BW2 where other pokemon are available too.

I'm not saying that you HAVE to play pokemon a certain way but if you play it taking into consideration how diverse the pokedex is that really will enhance your experience and that is what things like the exp share are there for, to encourage and help that style of play.

I suggest that you play some of the games you missed with this in mind and you will probably find that you enjoy them more, maybe even enough to beat the elite 4 before you loose interest (I note the lack of some legendaries that you get practically handed to you on a plate as part of the games plot from your list in later games).
>>
File: 21.png (786 KB, 665x450) Image search: [Google]
21.png
786 KB, 665x450
>>24901229
>I also have a suspicion you haven't played XY and BW1.

I played each of those games once each. I might play XY again if a ROMhack that isn't as shitty-looking as Neo XY comes around. Gen 5 is something I do want to revisit but every time I consider doing so I get reminded that I'd be deleting content I can never get back (even if just C-Gear skins and some uncaught Entree Forest Pokémon, I know it isn't much but I don't want to get rid of my Zoroark C-Gear skin). I also admit I used older Pokémon in my XY playthrough at first, which is something I don't normally do but they threw my favorite Pokémon at me on one of the first routes so I had to take him, and I also wanted a Mega on my team since they were brand-new (though I found out I couldn't get the stone until after beating the Champion and had to trade with someone to borrow theirs and use it early).

Also, I should say that I did enjoy XY and ORAS, as a Pokémon fan it's not hard for me to outright not have fun with a game, even if it's a shitty edgy poorly-balanced ROMhack made by a teenager. I just found them to be some of the weakest entries in the main games and I enjoyed Pt, HGSS, and BW1/2 more.
>>
>>24901229
Neat, I didn't know there was a demo. But I'm reading that I need a special code to be able to download it. Oh well
>>
>>24902304

I don't think you need the code anymore, that was just to not crash the e-shop before the game was released (this happened when they first released Pokemon Bank at the same time as the WiiU needed a big update). Just search for pokemon on the e-shop and you should find it, I think there is a big pokemon section on the e-shop as well which has it on there. The demo is a bit monotonous but does a good job of introducing you to a few of the new features added to pokemon in the last gen or two and gives you a nice mega stone earlier than you normally get it in game.

For now just get the demo and ORAS (XY as well if you can, there is a lot of nostagia in that game you might enjoy), don't worry about Bank, transporter, radar etc unless you know you'll be trying to complete a full national dex, not just the regional ones.
>>
>>24902363
I should have just checked before wasting your time. Thanks, I'm definitely checking it out.

Any good place where I can learn about the things you mentioned like the bank and radar? I'll Google it myself but I don't know if there's a nice go to resource.
>>
>>24902363
>recommending ORAS -and- XY

Sometimes I have to wonder if people just have shit taste or if they're actually marketers. How the hell can you recommend XY, not just because of its flaws but also because Z is likely coming out in 2016?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.