[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game has story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14
File: 1447599884341.jpg (10 KB, 170x145) Image search: [Google]
1447599884341.jpg
10 KB, 170x145
>game has story
>>
>>24667626
Yup
>>
File: very angry.gif (284 KB, 500x800) Image search: [Google]
very angry.gif
284 KB, 500x800
>>24667626
>the game won't let me skip straight to the Battle Frontier
>>
File: penn_jillette.png.jpg (31 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
penn_jillette.png.jpg
31 KB, 300x400
>Postgame is as bad as Ruby and Sapphire's

Fucking dropped.
>>
>>24667626
Actually agree. I hate BW-style story-based games with lots of exposition and characters at the expense of player input. Games should be defined by the way I play them; if I want to be told a story I'll go watch a movie/read a book.
>>
>>24668297
Dumb.
>>
>>24668297
There's a lot of games with interesting/good stories that I truly enjoyed see the development, Pokémon is just not satisfactory with it, I admit, but I also don't find it tedious while playing (for the first time at least).
>>
File: [008099].jpg (10 KB, 280x274) Image search: [Google]
[008099].jpg
10 KB, 280x274
>Game has a post-game story
>>
>>24668297
You're a faggot. In a world like Pokémon its a crime that we aren't getting as much lore and story as other games. All the the themes that can be explored all the back story. Shit like the Original Dragon, Sea Mauville, Yveltal/Xerneas, and even how the world was in the past are all topics the games should expand on because shit like that is what also interest people
>>
>>24668386
But how do you want this information to be delivered to you? My problem is that Pokemon insists on telling rather than showing. It's a vast and fascinating world to explore, but GF makes the story feel as on-rails as possible.

Sea Mauville was actually an example of this done right. There's all these cool little stories lying around that you can piece together if you like. There's secret Pokemon and items to be found. It's a fascinating location that you get to explore at your own pace: and explore is the keyword here. I don't want scripted NPC events stopping me to tell me some legend; I want to find the scroll with the legend on it, follow the clues it gives me, and explore the place it leads me to. Scripted stories simply can't replicate the joy of discovery.
>>
>>24668431
this Tbh
>>
>game forces me to catch legendary pokemon
>game won't let me fail to catch the legendary pokemon

BW catching was bullshit and I hate the idea that every game after gen one was about obtaining the legendary or the team was trying to obtain the legendary pokemon but you intervened. Technically Rocket was trying to get the master ball to capture mewtwo but in the game it was never actually stated by Giovanni that his goal was to get mewtwo back
>>
File: 1440828018614.webm (2 MB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
1440828018614.webm
2 MB, 1280x528
>>24668605
>mfw just finished AS
>mfw they literally hand you latios/latias
>mfw the catch rate for rayquaza/deoxys is non-existent

Oh lordy, /vp/ wasn't kidding about this game.
>>
>>24668605
Gen 2 legendaries were entirely optional. When I was a kid, I didn't even know I could get Ho-oh in my Gold. I didn't even know it was part of the game. I didn't even know it was anything other than that bird Ash saw in the first episode they slapped on the cover to look cool. I kept wandering the islands in the west looking for Lugia, because my friends told me they caught it there.
>>
>>24668743
>mfw the catch rate for rayquaza/deoxys is non-existent
What do you mean by this? It is hard as hell to catch Deoxys
>>
>>24668297
This. Old Red/Blue and Gold/Silver did it best. Minimalist story, just a boy and his journey to get to the Elite 4 and kick his rival's ass.

>>24668386
That's Worldbuilding. Not story. Worldbuilding is a neat side dungeon where I can explore, talk to people to learn about its history or the Pokemon living in it. Story is when a character keeps me from going to the next town until I do some events I don't care about.

>>24668431
This.

The Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar did it amazing too. Hell, Mewtwo as a whole was very well built up. He wasn't a part of the story, but an event that happened long ago that you could read if you chose to, put together the pieces of the puzzle, and later catch.

Ho-oh and Lugia had this too, but a bit more focus is put on them. But they're still entirely optional and don't really play a part in your quest if they don't interest you. You learn about the history of their towers, the myths surrounding the islands, all that on your own, and you explore the dungeon on your own without anyone telling you you have to. That's what I hated about HG/SS, they build them up so much with you as some legendary hero and you have to fight them for no real reason to progress.There's also more mandatory bullshit, like forcing you to go through Sprout Tower before fighting Falkner.

Pokemon is not good at making stories. I wish they wouldn't bother since the main story characters tend to be ones that are annoying, and the story is shit and you're played up as some God hero who'll save everyone.

I just want to a guy who starts a journey exploring the weird and fantastical world of Pokemon on my own, seeing and exploring neat places and creatures, fighting and growing along the way, and learning about Friendship. That's all it needs to be, and being simple like that also makes it so much more replayable.
>>
This
>game gives you a fucking kanto starter
>gives you a mega stone for that starter
>hyped as fuck for mega evolving my gen one bro
>finally get bracelet thing
>have to use a shitty lucario just gifted to you for your first mega evolution

JUST
>>
>>24668866
You can always turn him down.
>>
>he has no style
>>
>>24668893
No you can't

You have to use it for that battle and you have to mega evolve it
>>
>>24668943
Yes, but after that you can ditch the Lucario.

...Unlike the Lati@s in ORAS which is pretty much forced into your party midway into the game.
>>
File: Vampire nipnop pepe.jpg (117 KB, 570x748) Image search: [Google]
Vampire nipnop pepe.jpg
117 KB, 570x748
The ruby/saphire storyline stood out in utter retardation(espeacially the bad guys). I mean, I dont expect there to be well thought out story for a fucking pokemon game, Id rather have none at all besides "ur a boy, catch pocketmonster and kick trainer asses!" then stuff that reads like taken from a 12 year olds fanfiction.
On the other hand, thats the main demographic, so its just us being manchildren.
>>
File: 1387842287554.png (237 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1387842287554.png
237 KB, 500x370
>game has graphics
>>
>>24668297
This. I loved how subtle the story in Red/Blue and the remakes was. It was there, but you had to put all the pieces together if you wanted to get the whole picture. Nowadays the players are too dumb to figure out everything by themselves so the storytelling is more "in you in face", which hurts the pacing. And there were no annoying characters stopping you every 10 steps, only a rival who actually felt like a rival.
>>
>>24668802
You forgot that in the remakes you were forced to catch them/defeat them.
>>
>>24667626
Hoenn Plot summed:
Brendan gets starter
Team something beats up a dude in the forest for something
Team something is in Granite cave for some reason
Team something robs a museum in Slateport
Team something has a base in a volcano
Team something awakens insert legendary here
Team something tries to fire a rocket into a volcano
Team something causes the apocalypse
Team something is beaten by Brendan

Postgame:
Hoopa fucking around
Meteor that gonna kill everyone
Mary Sue dragonfaggess wants to awaken Rayquaza because shes fucking nuts
Lets send meteor to another universe hurr durr
Now we gets Mega Rayquaza
Meteor is a Deoxys that is basically the final boss but its shit because you have the beyond Broken Mega Fug.

The plot in Hoenn is complete shit.
>>
>>24668297

Agreed. I don't play Pokemon for the always shit story. It's also why gen 5 is unplayable to me.
>>
>>24667626
What story? Pokemon games have no story.
>>
>>24669997
You do realize Deoxys at that point is capable of OHKOing Mega Fug with Psycho Boost right?
>>
File: 1446094487579.png (24 KB, 164x170) Image search: [Google]
1446094487579.png
24 KB, 164x170
>>24669997
>dragonfaggess
>>
>>24668297
>I hate BW-style story-based games with lots of exposition and characters at the expense of player input

You can't really say that BW had lots of exposition and characters, even for a pokémon game. I mean, I get your point and am inclined to agree, but the problem with BW(2) in this regard is the constant interruptions and that the games sometimes treat you as an utter retard (BW did this at times). I don't see anything wrong with a diverse set of characters, what GF is missing is making them actually interesting.

Removing the story in BW wouldn't really alter too much, as the progreesion in the game would still be the same as in RBY with the gyms and all. I don't see how BW-style hinders the player input when quite frankly all pokémon games have done that to some extent.

>if I want to be told a story I'll go watch a movie/read a book.

Oh man, that sounds fucking dumb anon. Video games have great potential for telling stories, just that GF fails at telling interesting ones and fails at delivering them. You have a medium where you can actually sit back and reflect on your actions and you decide to dismiss this opportunity?

>>24668605
>Technically Rocket was trying to get the master ball to capture mewtwo but in the game it was never actually stated by Giovanni that his goal was to get mewtwo back

Do you have a single fact to back that up. There is nothing to really imply this in the game at all barring that you get the masterball after Silph.

>>24669149
>I loved how subtle the story in Red/Blue and the remakes was

What's so "subtle" about the story in RBY/FrLg. It's pretty straightforward, there is no need to piece together anything. Player beats gyms, stops Team Rocket. There are some nuisances maybe, but you could probably find something similar in the newer games.
>>
File: 1447710174682.jpg (6 KB, 250x217) Image search: [Google]
1447710174682.jpg
6 KB, 250x217
>>24668297
you forgot to post this pic
>>
>>24670062
Team Rocket is just the mob in Kanto in Red/Blue not some hurr durr we gonna rule the world type people.
>>
>>24668386
>the Original Dragon

Who the fuck cares about the original dragon. Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem are beings unimportant to the pokemon world. I have no idea why we are supposed to think they are important besides the game telling us they are, but really they have no appeal at all. Only good thing about the original dragon would be the novelty of having a normal/dragon type and a more powerful version of tri-attack, but that's it.
>>
>>24670088
I'm fully aware of that, what is your point? It doesn't change the structure and progression of the game, which is do gyms, have some encounters with evil team, E4, done. You can't say that BW stops player input when any other game is not exactly innocent either. It certainly doesn't mean that the plot is more subtle, as it is still pretty straightforward and simple with little to no details to a lot of things.

I dislike some of the things GF has done when it comes to the progression, but I'm not going to have some illusions that the older games are deeper than they appear. You could probably find similar examples for the newer games, just not in the main story.
>>
>>24670099
Reshiram follows ideals(MUH FEELS) while Zekrom follows truth or logic. Though you are right there was no reason to include them in the plot besides N needing them as the only way to explain how he beat Alder.

The lore of Reshiram and Zekrom is interesting when you realize these things are acutally aliens.
>>
File: (CAN'T WAKE UP).jpg (231 KB, 603x547) Image search: [Google]
(CAN'T WAKE UP).jpg
231 KB, 603x547
>>24668360
>Game has a post-game story at the expense of making the main characters nothing but emotionless puppets
>>
>>24668862
My thoughts exactly.
>>
>>24668605
WTF are you talking about? There's nothing in the games linking Mewtwo and Team Rocket. There are no "subtle hints". The plot in RBY is about as deep as a flat plate.
>>
>ITT: people are upset that a JRPG has a story
>>
>>24669999
>>24670000
quads speak the truth
>>
>>24670062
>You can't really say that BW had lots of exposition and characters, even for a pokémon game.
It absolutely did; you even acknowledged the game's frequent interruptions with talking NPCs. That's what I'm talking about.
>Removing the story in BW wouldn't really alter too much
BW's intrusive story and its linear region design are two very related concepts. Unova is designed as a straight path so you are forced to experience the story in its proper sequence. There is no opportunity for sequence breaking like in gens 1, 2, and 4. The story is the absolute most important part of BW's design, and its other design aspects are forced to feed into that story. Removing the story would change the core of the game around which most of its decisions were made.

I acknowledge that video games have potential to tell great stories, but doing so at the expense of player input discards a core strength of the medium.

>What's so "subtle" about the story in RBY/FrLg
What's "subtle" is that the story elements that are thrust upon players in newer Pokemon games existed more passively in RBY/FRLG. The only time an NPC walks on-screen and stops you is for a rival battle. Mew/Mewtwo's backstory can be found in Cinnibar Mansion if you choose to read it; Articuno can be seen through binoculars if you're exploring carefully. Plus the minimalist story leaves much more room for personal interpretation, like >>24668605
>>
>>24670157
This was a shitpost taken from /v/
>>
>M-muh exploration
You're all faggots. I want a story. A GOOD story, and gen V went in the right direction. It needed more, but it was there. I want a fulfilling main game where I know what the hell is going to happen next. If anything gamefreak needs to expand this so your choices will actually affect the story.

>B-but go read a book!
So you'll tell me the same whenever I'm playing Final Fantasy, right? I'm playing a roleplaying game, give me what I'm looking for!

Exploration can be a good postgame though, leave many blanks and unvisited places in the main game and let the exploration happen once you're done with the league.
>>
>>24670303
Pokémon stories are shit though. It's much more fun to explore and figure out shit about the world yourself. Only people that has zero imagination would want it to go further down the gen V route.

It's not like there aren't other JRPG's for you if you want a story heavy one.
>>
>>24670303
>I want a fulfilling main game where I know what the hell is going to happen next
And I want a fulfilling main game where I don't know what's going to happen next. That's the joy of discovery.

>If anything gamefreak needs to expand this so your choices will actually affect the story.
If we have to have a story, then yes, make my choices matter. The whole problem with Pokemon's story is that it's completely unrelated to how you play the game. In a game with 700+ unique monsters and 18 different types, my choices should be the absolute MOST important part of the game.

>So you'll tell me the same whenever I'm playing Final Fantasy, right? I'm playing a roleplaying game, give me what I'm looking for!
Play Final Fantasy all you like. Just keep Final Fantasy-style storytelling out of Pokemon. Pokemon's format is much more conducive to an exploration-heavy game than a story-heavy game because of the core principles of discovering, capturing and trading.
>>
>>24670119
>The lore of Reshiram and Zekrom is interesting when you realize these things are acutally aliens.

It would have been interesting, you're so right. I hate how Gen V hangs everything around it's human story, which is the least interesting part of Pokemon. Give me lore, and give them any proper relation to truth and ideals if that has to be their theme.
>>
>>24667626
I have to agree, it's about an Adventure and not a story.
>>
>>24668976
>Lati@s must join your party
>Party already full
>Have to transfer one pokemon to the box
>Transfer only pokemon that can learn surf
>Can't get back to town to box lati@s
>Have to die, pass out and wake up in pokecenter to pass the water
>Release lati@s afterwards anyway

Fuck this shit
>>
File: 1446431514123.jpg (90 KB, 640x763) Image search: [Google]
1446431514123.jpg
90 KB, 640x763
>>24670504
>It would have been interesting, you're so right. I hate how Gen V hangs everything around it's human story,

The problem is that humans in pokemon are the real characters in the game , pokemon in the game are just tools that are used as a weapons to accomplish something
>Give me lore, and give them any proper relation to truth and ideals if that has to be their theme.

BW/BW2 tells you the story of a pokemon group that rebels against humans and how battling you have changed the mentality and perception of N

The muh no story faggots just want the same shit every game and then complain at GF
>>
When it comes to story or entire freedom, one isn't necessarily better than the other.

But when it comes to Pokemon, yeah, freedom and exploration should always be a priority. My dream Pokemon game is one where you can go on any road and any town without even getting your first badge and where you'll be able to explore further once your Pokemon are strong enough/you get some particular tools.

If GF isn't able to make a story to go with that, then too bad. Just drop it.
>>
>>24669149
Green was a terrible rival
>>
>>24670771
Pokemon was never a game about freedom and exploration because it wasn't meant to be that way.
I'm sure there are plenty of ROMhacks that let you do that, so you can get your fill there.
>>
>>24670783
Gen I was pretty open in the regard of freedom. Although they have made it significantly more linear as time has gone by. Exploration has always been a big part of the games as well, although it took a backseat in gen V and so on. Probably my main problem with gen V is how freedom is sacrificed for story-telling.
>>
>>24670771
This sounds like you want a game like the anime.
>>
>>24670812
I have never felt that exploration has been a big theme in the anime.
>>
Where are all these explorationfags coming from? Pokemon was always about visiting towns, beating gyms, stopping whatever conflict comes your way, and becoming Champion.

The Pokemon world isn't some shit like Final Fantasy, Digimon or Xenoblade where its some large uninhabited world with little bits of civilization sprinkled around. The Pokemon world is just like the real world, filled with modern technology and civilization filled with different people with different ideas and wild life with their own history, lore, etc. You aren't some explorer trying to discover the meaning of life or any of that shit, you are a kid trying to be the very best and obviously you'll encounter people and Pokemon that open your mind to new things. This is your adventure and you have your story to tell, not some random nobody who rather be isolated from interesting things and explore and discover things without context
>>
>>24670870
>Where are all these explorationfags coming from? Pokemon was always about visiting towns, beating gyms, stopping whatever conflict comes your way, and becoming Champion.
You forgot the part about going exploring to find rare pokémon to catch.
>>
>>24670771
The games are practically designed to be linear. An example is that you get HM's in the order you need to progress in the game. Also, notice how Pokemon you encounter in the early game tend to evolve a lot faster than those in the late game? This is so there's not a big gap from the time you encounter the pokemon to the point it evolves.

I see adding more exploration to the game an option, maybe more caves/ruins/towns that aren't obligatory to the main story. But I see a completely free, open worldPokemon game hard to design. Balancing encounters/battles/gyms to be around the same level as your team would be pretty hard to begin with.
>>
>>24670950
>The games are practically designed to be linear. An example is that you get HM's in the order you need to progress in the game. Also, notice how Pokemon you encounter in the early game tend to evolve a lot faster than those in the late game? This is so there's not a big gap from the time you encounter the pokemon to the point it evolves.
I agree that a completely open world probably wouldn't work. However what I do miss a bit from some older games is that you're given a small choices in which order you want to do some stuff. Like if you want to beat Koga or Sabrina first. Compare that to all the shit going on around Camphrier town in XY, where you are restricted to visit some of the areas in a very strict order.
>>
>>24670870
I think you're applying some odd connotations to the word "exploration". We're not asking to be treated as Indiana Jones. We're not asking to turn Pokemon into Skyrim. All we want are non-linear regions, some sequence breaking, and a story that isn't NPCs spewing dialogue at the player.

>This is your adventure and you have your story to tell
Exactly, and it doesn't feel like my adventure if it's a straight path with NPCs constantly stopping me to tell me what to do.
>>
>>24670303
Fuck that, I like RPGs like Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey, and Old Pokemon. Where there's little to no story and the experience is built around your interactions with the world and what story you make.

AKA Gameplay.
>>
>>24673388
Sounds boring
>>
>>24673406
Yeah man, games where gameplay is the focus tend to be very boring. We need more Gone Home instead, story is what really makes a game.
>>
>>24668862
>I just want to a guy who starts a journey exploring the weird and fantastical world of Pokemon on my own, seeing and exploring neat places and creatures, fighting and growing along the way, and learning about Friendship.

That sounds absolutely boring
>>
>>24673410
But it is? Why do you think it got such good reviews?
>>
>>24673435
man this is delicious bait
>>
>>24673435
>gone home
>good
made me reply 4/10
>>
File: [EXPANDING INTENSIFIES].gif (2 MB, 229x206) Image search: [Google]
[EXPANDING INTENSIFIES].gif
2 MB, 229x206
>>24668901
>>
>>24670157
What's the point of even playing the mainline games if you don't care about story? The CPU is brain dead and they never have a full team.

The novelty of exploring a fantastical world and catching & battling monsters gets ruined by the game's lack of difficulty.
>>
>>24675994
I could ask you the opposite. What's the point of playing the mainline games if you care most about the story? Gen V and to an lesser extent VI are the only games with emphasis on story, and they're not very good. Story barely existed in the first games and took a solid backseat during III and IV.
If you play games for story then there aren't a shortage of jrpgs that do that job way better than pokémon.
>The novelty of exploring a fantastical world and catching & battling monsters gets ruined by the game's lack of difficulty.
I won't say that a bit more difficulty wouldn't help, but I don't think it ruins the experience. The main thing I like is to learn about the pokémon and the environment they live in. Standard world building.
>>
>>24676011
>playing to learn about the pokemon
Like how Slugma's skin is hotter than the surface of the sun and that Ponyta can leap over the Eiffel Tower? I'd rather listen to baseless fan theories than read pokedex entries.

>the environments
Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh was like 90% grasslands. HGSS made them look a lot better, but they were still 90% grassland. And Kalos felt like they were trying to cram in as many different biomes as they could fit, and it made for a very artificial feeling region.

What we need is a region with a recurring theme, but only a few biomes to break the pace. Hoenn and Unova were really interesting regions that didn't deter too much from the original theme.

Yeah, if the story consists of stopping you every few steps to tell you some new legend, then fuck that noise. But a combination of worldbuilding, character development, etc does make for a good story. BW2 was a step in the right direction. I don't get why people hated it so much.
>>
>>24676060
Sure, there are some bad dex entries and such, but I don't think it devalues the pokémon too much.
>Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh was like 90% grasslands. HGSS made them look a lot better, but they were still 90% grassland. And Kalos felt like they were trying to cram in as many different biomes as they could fit, and it made for a very artificial feeling region.
I agree that Kanto was fairly boring. However either Johto or Sinnoh is my favorite region. Johto had some boring routes but I absolutely loved the cities, towns and landmarks. I really liked the Japanese culture theme that stayed consistent through the whole region. I also loved Sinnoh, more specifically Sinnoh in Platinum. I that the whole region had this cold feel to it, and I also liked having a mountain chain dividing the whole region in two, which you had to visit and travel through multiple times. Hoenn is also great for very similar reasons to Sinnoh.
>What we need is a region with a recurring theme, but only a few biomes to break the pace. Hoenn and Unova were really interesting regions that didn't deter too much from the original theme.
Each to their own I guess, but I didn't like Unova that much. It was mainly just grassland and forests with some random biomes slapped on here and there. I kind of got a industrial theme, but it didn't really hit home for me since I played White and White 2, which were supposed to be more Nature oriented. So it just felt kind of bland and mixed in the end.
>Yeah, if the story consists of stopping you every few steps to tell you some new legend, then fuck that noise. But a combination of worldbuilding, character development, etc does make for a good story.
Some story is of course good. It's just that I dislike when it limits exploring. Blocking of certain areas until you have talked to somebody just so the story can play out exactly how the writers want it to. I also like to create my own story in the games, it's an rpg after all.
(1/2)
>>
>>24676060
>>24676121
So since I like to create and imagine my own story to some extent I didn't like BW that much. Through the whole game I felt more like a spectator watching N than making my own journey. Didn't help that I though N was a massive brat.
> BW2 was a step in the right direction. I don't get why people hated it so much.
Yeah, BW2 did some great stuff. I liked a lot of the additional side stuff you could do. Especially Join Avenue. Although I felt that the new areas added in the game were very random and didn't fit that well with the rest of Unova as mentioned.
The story in BW2 was more on line with III and IV than V which I was fine with. I just wish it didn't revolve so much around N since I was already fed up about him midway through BW.
(2/2)
>>
>>24676121
>>24676140
>I also like to create my own story in the games
You shouldn't even be playing JRPGs if making your own story is your thing. Pokemon couldn't be any less on-rails if it tried.

>N was a massive brat.
N was sheltered all his life; forced to live with abused pokemon so he'd grow to believe all humans were evil. By the final battle he learns that not all people are pricks. It was good character development as far as Pokemon games go.

I was disappointed by how underwhelming XY's story was compared to BW/BW2. And I'm infinitely pissed that the Original Dragon will never be a thing.
>>
>>24676185
>You shouldn't even be playing JRPGs if making your own story is your thing. Pokemon couldn't be any less on-rails if it tried.
The was excellent for that play style during gen I and II, and their remakes. It worked decently in III and IV too. It's only in the later generations that it has become harder to do so.

My problem with N was that people believed him for no good reason. For me he just gave off that "holier than thou" vibe, even after he changed near the end. Not to mention that people talk about him like he was the second coming of Christ in BW2. He was also one of the worst character in terms of projecting values onto the mc. Yeah sure, most champions and shit praise you for your bond with your pokémon, but in BW it became the driving force through the whole game.
>And I'm infinitely pissed that the Original Dragon will never be a thing.
I actually kind of liked that. I wouldn't be mad if we saw it one day, but it at least gave us some room for interpreting Unova's lore ourselves for the time being.
>>
>>24670706
Fucking this.
I don't see how you guys can hate B/W but love R/B/Y and G/S because "the story was less subtle".
If pokemon was kept that way it was in gen 1 it would boring af after a couple games. And that's implying that the recent games don't have a similar structure.
Learning about the humans and the what their world is like is really the best world building and story we can have with a world of mythical creatures that can't even talk.
>>
>>24670119
Sorry fan but I don't think you really understand what the dragons stand for.
>>
File: file.png (63 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
file.png
63 KB, 250x250
>>24668297
It depends on how the story is told.
In my personal taste. I'd sure enjoy a storyline taking the best of Black/White and Red/Blue and center it to focus in your own experience, your own adventure. Nothing more to save. You are your personal hero, nobody else's.

I insist. Pokemon must be part of your in-game character development. That's why I think your starter must take part in that story, dialoguing with the Main Character and highlighting this character development. Each starter should have a different type of personality (like a lazy but determined grass starter, a hotheaded but energetic fire starter, and a sarcastic but intelligent water starter), more or less like in Mystery Dungeon. Kinda like Cheren/Bianca in BW, but well done.

You'd be able to box it once you beat the E4.
>>
With games, if you don't have good gameplay it should at least have a good story with every game trying to top each other with each iteration. Pokemon has neither of those things or any intention to improve anything. Story is practically none existent and the gameplay is the same as it was with the first game but more modernised changed slightly. The story of pokemon counts as gameplay since they are not seperate components of the game. What you can do depends on where you are in the story. This is why story is not important in pokemon and the game should be rated on gameplay which has been poor compared to the standards of other games.
>>
>>24669038
"Water Good, Land Bad!"

"NO. Land Good, Water Bad!"
>>
>>24676283
>I don't see how you guys can hate B/W but love R/B/Y and G/S because "the story was less subtle".
Well for one the region was far less linear and had less
>lel can't leave this town until cutscene
Black and White was Roadblock: The Game.
>>
>>24667626
>game exists
>>
>>24676387
>With games, if you don't have good gameplay it should at least have a good story with every game trying to top each other with each iteration
No, with games if you don't have good gameplay you have a shit game.

A game with bad story but good gameplay is a good game. A game with bad gameplay but good story is a bad game. You can have a game with no story and it still be a game, and a good one. If you have a game with no gameplay, you have nothing but trash.
>>
>>24668862
>I just want to a guy who starts a journey exploring the weird and fantastical world of Pokemon on my own, seeing and exploring neat places and creatures, fighting and growing along the way, and learning about Friendship. That's all it needs to be, and being simple like that also makes it so much more replayable.

>>24671745
>>
>>24679624
I know, what I was supposed to say was that you either need good gameplay or good gameplay with a story that isn't shit.
>>
>Replaying Red Blue
>Have fun, try new stuff and new teams, at the end transfer my Pokemon to Stadium and do it over again

>Replaying Crystal
>Have fun, try new stuff and new teams, at the end transfer my Pokemon to Stadium 2 and do it over again

>Replaying X/Y
>Obnoxious characters constantly interrupt something I'm doing, game takes forever to get anything, roadblocks everywhere, railroads by constantly giving me Pokemon for no reason, shit story I already know interrupts me constantly when I just want to play the game
>Give up 1/3 of the way through

I eagerly away a romhack for X/Y that cuts the story and characters, it will be a God send and might make those games replayable.
>>
>>24679624
You don't like VN's?
>>
>>24681244
genwun!
>>
>>24681536
Who replays VNs that much? I mean if it either

>Has porn
or
>Has really good writing that you love
Then sure, but not as much you'd replay, say, Mario, or Mega Man. And until Pokemon XY gets good writing or porn, then no.

Also a Pokemon Storage System that isn't fucking subscription based seriously why is Pokemon Bank like that it could've just been a downloadable title you make a payment to buy once.

>>24681539
>Listed Gen 2
>Still cries Genwunner
You keep it up and you're gonna kill any meaning genwunner had. Gen 4 is my favorite overall generation anyways.
>>
>almost 2016
>contrarians still try to shit on BW's story
>>
>>24681847
>almost 2016
>still hasn't played other games besides Pokémon
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.