[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 20
File: d8fpCtW[1].gif (2 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
d8fpCtW[1].gif
2 MB, 480x320
Notable ROM hacks: pastebin.com/hMRJR8KX (embed)
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP (embed)

Essentials:
Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/
http://reliccastle.com/forums/

IRC channel: #romhacking @ irc.rizon.net
>>
What are some good Essentials games? I've been playing Metal and it doesn't seem too bad so far(although the intro was a little edgy).
>>
>>24603315
Bump, and what game is that gif from?
>>
>>24603620
Pokenon Gaia. It just had a new beta release with 6 badges
>>
Wow, Pokemon Reborn was truly shit.
>>
Essentials doesn't come with mega evolution right?

Is there a guide somewhere on how to script it in?
>>
>>24603738
Yes it does

Also search Gen 6 project by mej
>>
File: Light Platinum NDS.png (14 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
Light Platinum NDS.png
14 KB, 256x384
Light Platinum NDS just released an English beta for anyone who wanted to see a Gen 4 hack with a custom region. Everything in it seems to be working well (a couple menus aren't translated but you should already know how the menus work, all the NPC dialogue seems to be translated).
>>
>>24603940
>a hack with Ash Ketchum in the game universe
No thanks. Though LP was rather hurting for the newer movesets.
>>
File: sc77.png (17 KB, 514x382) Image search: [Google]
sc77.png
17 KB, 514x382
>>24603315
I'm using an unreal time system in my game (think GTA or Harvest Moon). I added hotels as a mean to make time pass but they still feel kinda useless.
Any idea what else hotels could be used for? Not adding any O-power bullshit.
>>
>>24605233
Have them replace Pokecenters completely. A night at the inn costs a percentage rather than a fixed price so you're guaranteed to always afford healing your mons.
>>
>>24603940
how far along is it? i enjoyed light platinum for the most part. really loved the amount of mons you could get

>>24604272
>dumb fanboy shit prevents you from playing a romhack

so, which romhacks have you played? because every decent one I can think of has stupid shit like that
>>
>>24605303
>A night at the inn costs a percentage

So when you have $999,999 it costs more than just buying a house?
>>
>>24605616
Then you can just stay at your fancy new house if you can afford it. Unless you know.. They dont program a house for you. Back to mom if you wanna be a jew.
>>
>Prism delayed again

Welp.
>>
>>24605938
Always take release dates for hacks with a grain of salt, especially Prism's.

On the bright side it looks like Cryogonal, Lunatone, Spiritomb, and the Duskull line are going to be in the hack. Pokémon Brown had 214 Pokémon in its most recent version (if I remember correctly, I never caught them all in that hack, every time I attempted it I got reminded how Sandshrew has a fucking 1% encounter rate and stopped), so that tells us a good chunk of the remaining slots.
>>
Long shot, and sorry if asking questions like this is frowned upon, but perhaps someone can identify this old-ass hack I played years ago?

It involved playing as Silver (the rival) - your starter was fucking edgy (like Charmander having a black collar), it had some fakemon in it as well as real ones (getting one real starter and one butt-ugly made up one was a feature), and it used the gen iii engine with gen iv sprites iirc. It seemed to have elements of the manga inserted into the plot, and you could talk to some NPC for them to directly tell you what your poke's IVs were. There was also a Mexican bandito chili pepper.

Sorry if those thoughts are a bit scattered, don't wanna ramble too much + it was years ago.
>>
Can someone make a cia from the drayano OR/AS hackrom?
i can´t do it myself i have a shitty computer
https://twitter.com/Drayano60
>>
>>24606479
Try the homebrew thread, I think they have a pastebin with all the Gen 6 hacks, probably updated it with Drayano's by now.
>>
Have you started on your hack yet, anon?
>>
>>24608523
Related and question still stands, /heg/.
>>
File: Pokemon Emerald_02.png (8 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Emerald_02.png
8 KB, 240x160
>>24608531
Why yes, I have
>>
File: 1424042290847.png (337 KB, 426x522) Image search: [Google]
1424042290847.png
337 KB, 426x522
>>24608604
>mfw its for ants
>>
>>24608534
Go for it, though I did like some color choices Gen 6 did. Do what you must.
>>
>>24608609
How you survived playing on GBA?
>>
>>24608639
I just double the screen size on VBA. Much more comfier, if it comes to hardware I would just suck it up.
>>
>>24606428
A bit of research tells me that a hack called Pokemon Eruption fits most of those criteria, but I don't know if it has fakemon, and the starter is a Cyndaquil.
>>
>>24608531
No hack, but I am working on an Essentials fangame. And I'm doing something wildly different.

I started it the end of May and got a shitload of progress done in June. I took an excessive break but am starting back up again now that I have some more free time.

I've introduced over 100 completely new "Pokemon". None of these "Pokemon" can evolve. This is because I want the game to focus on teambuilding and strategy over grinding to win. In addition to new "pokemon" I've also introduced 8 new types.

Once I finish the overworld I'm going to work on distributing stats and movesets to the "pokemon". I'm planning to give them all the same BST (this should go without saying but yes the numbers are going to be distributed differently).

I'm using a lot of vanilla resources. I'll have to make custom sprites for the overworld "pokemon" but I have no intentions of doing 100% custom sprites.

I was re-composing midis to have the Gen 3 soundfont, but that was too tedious and .mp3s and .oggs bloat up the game, so I'm switching back to regular old midis.

This might be overambitious for a first project, but I've inserted all of my new "pokemon" and I'm two-thirds or halfway done with the overwold. I've got the plot thought out pretty well too.

This project is probably going to get ignored/relentlessly shat on for being so wildly different, but oh well. At least I'll be able to say that I did something different with Essentials.

All things considered, I have a lot done. I'd release a 3-gym demo but there's the issue that most of the "Pokemon" are pure normal types, have the same stat distribution, and only know Pound at the moment. I like to do things in a certain order, but if need be I'll swallow my autism and do everyone's stats now so I can release a demo sooner. If I do, /heg/ will be the first to know.
>>
>>24608940
Sounds pretty ambitious and sounds interesting enough. Best of luck.

>>24608604
Looking good, man.
>>
>>24605233
Use it as a hub for sidequests?
>>
двepи
>>
File: poor guy, still waiting.png (4 KB, 160x176) Image search: [Google]
poor guy, still waiting.png
4 KB, 160x176
>finally get a Sandshrew in Brown
>continue catching things for the Dex
>find out some Pokémon are completely uncatchable without trading
>some of these uncatchable Pokémon are from Johto games

How the hell am I meant to get these to my game? Do I have to hack a GBC game myself so I can send Johto Pokémon to the past?
>>
>>24610935
Wait, never mind, I just noticed KBM already has a compatibility hack to let you trade to Gen 2, I'm dumb for not looking first.
>>
File: 0.png (75 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
0.png
75 KB, 640x320
>>24606428
Sounds like Pokemon Pyrite, anon.
>>
>>24611292
>that lizard thing with its butthole leaking
>>
>>24611292
Is there more than one Pokémon Pyrite? The Pyrite I know of is a Crystal hack, and a recent one at that.
>>
File: 0.png (204 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
0.png
204 KB, 480x320
>>24611356
Seems to be the case. This one was apparently done about five years ago.
>>
File: capture001.png (273 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
capture001.png
273 KB, 640x480
>>24611292
Hell yeah, that's the one. Thanks a bunch, anon.
>>
>>24611374
I see.

Speaking of that Crystal hack of Pyrite, the guy who made it started working on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VZepedbko
>>
>>24610253
Good idea. That's probably what I'll do.
>>
Are Solar Light and Lunar Dark good romhacks?
>>
>>24611996
They're not romhacks.
I found them enjoyable, but the fakemon suck ass.
>>
Does anyone know any other sites than KAT that have trustworthy RPGMaker XP torrents?
I tried the one on KAT, but I think something was wrong with the trackers or something because it wouldn't let me download it.
>>
>>24612036
piratebay should be fine
>>
would this be a good place to ask about using the SD card to import pokemon onto either or x
>>
If I enjoyed Vega will i enjoy Altair/Sirius?

Also are Procyin/Deneb still in development?
>>
>>24603315
>>24603604
LIST OF ESSENTIALS GAMES FUCKING WHEN
>>
Is Ethereal Gates any good?

Is Cinder Foam out yet?
>>
File: 1436461557434.jpg (63 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1436461557434.jpg
63 KB, 500x375
>>24613595
When Essentials games stop being shit.
>>
File: sc79.png (11 KB, 513x384) Image search: [Google]
sc79.png
11 KB, 513x384
>>24610253
>>24611923
This should be fun.
Any cool sidequests ideas?
>>
>>24614522
Also, do you guys have any suggestions for the music to use in hotels?
I'm using the boutique theme for XY at the moment, but it doesn't fit terribly well imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCkm5_sWtw

I usually use music from the official games (gen 4+) or random remixes I find on Youtube that sound fitting.
>>
why are all rom hacks so shit? like none are actually really good
>>
>>24611292
Bonecario is the only rad looking thing in this dex
>>
>>24614546
Jubilife? Valley Windworks? I dunno
>>
What are the best 5 hacks in your opinion? Bored and need something to play.
>>
>>24614637
Jubilife city would be pretty good, but I don't know, people might associate the theme too much with Jubilife city and it could be weird.

But yeah, I haven't really considered Sinnoh music desu, There might be some fitting tracks in there.
>>
>>24614599
ROMhacking is a multi-man job. But nobody ever wants to share the e-fame, so you only ever get hacks that are good at one thing and shit at everything else.
>>
>>24614599
The scene is mostly underage and ultra autism.

>>24614767
And when they're multi-man, you have shit that's good at nothing like Dark Rising.
>>
>>24614767
Agreed.
People don't realize how much work making a good game is. I didn't realize it when I started either.
And now my game has a fairly good following so I'm stuck. I'm getting kinda tired of it to be honest, but I have to keep working on it or else I'll piss off a bunch of people.
>>
File: r9k makes a game.png (10 KB, 272x231) Image search: [Google]
r9k makes a game.png
10 KB, 272x231
>>24614767
Eh, you have to consider the cons of a multi-man team as well. It definitely helps to have multiple people collaborating and giving feedback in most cases, in fact I think that might be the reason Prism is ever going to come out. But you also have to consider the flaws, like if someone assigned to do something just doesn't do it. I mean they aren't getting paid, it's just a hobby, so they don't have to be accountable. In a one-man job you only have yourself to blame if you're lazy and don't get things done, in a multiman job there are now external factors you can't control.

Also infighting. It's not Pokémon but to my understanding the Mother 4 guys all hate each other and are only still working on it because they put so much time into it.
>>
>>24614796
Never played Dark Rising but I'm going to take a shot and assume it's made by nothing but idea guys.
>>
>>24614643
I can't say which ones are the top 5, but I saw Pokemon Glazed (Emerald Hack) being recommended so I am giving it a try now. It has physical/special split and a new region, but it certainly has its own flaws. It has Gen 5 Pokemon, but Pokemon from Gen 4 and onwards have the wrong cries, and Pokemon from Gen 3 and lower don't have their levelup moves updated from what they were in Gen 3. It also seems that the fairy type was added, but steel still resists dark.

I have also heard some people complain about the plot being edgy, but so far I don't think it is all that bad, especially compared to other hacks I have seen.
>>
File: actually legit edgy.png (66 KB, 240x2006) Image search: [Google]
actually legit edgy.png
66 KB, 240x2006
>>24616327
I haven't played Glazed either so I don't know about the plot but don't judge a game's plot until it's over because it could jump the shark at any point, e.g. Pokémon Normal Version, which was tame until pic related and then it's like this the rest of the game.
>>
>tfw you will never go back to the glory days of rom hacks, playing incomplete betas of shiny gold and naranja
>>
>>24616631
Pfft. I didn't even figure out how to set up VBA and all that shit until 2009. I envy anyone who had little to no trouble when it came to finding roms and shit back in the day. With the whole DMCA protection thing or whatever I was pretty much just getting memed on whenever I asked for a rom of anything Nintendo.
>>
>>24616631
Eh, I think we're getting better hacks now than then. There's of course a ton of shitty ones, but there were a ton of shitty ones back then too, and the good ones have less limitations due to tools and techniques advancing. That being said I'm a relative newfag when it comes to hacks so maybe there's just something I'm missing that you had to be there for, like some kind of hacker Pokémania.
>>
File: Cave.png (11 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Cave.png
11 KB, 480x320
I put grass in a cave. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>24617687
If there's no light then yes. If you make the cave not a Flash cave and have a light source from the surface then it's a little plausible.
>>
>>24617687
It'll make the cave more interesting looking. I'm assuming those crystals will act as a lightsource.
>>
>>24617697
>>24617715
Yeah, the idea is there's no roof on most of the cave, so the sun is coming right in, but it gets darker as you go down. That screen is of the bottom floor.
>>
>>24617746
I'd suggest you not make the dark areas completely pitch black. Maybe put a gradient around the light sources like the dark areas in Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>24618939
But they have Gen 3 graphics, if you use techniques that were clearly impossible in Gen 3 it'll look bad like those indie games that use 8-bit sprites and then stretch them every which way.
>>
File: 1431478646415.png (57 KB, 177x231) Image search: [Google]
1431478646415.png
57 KB, 177x231
>>24619162
Wait never mind I didn't realize you posted a GBA game as your image, I am silly and uderestimate the GBA.
>>
>>24619171
no it's actually essentials, they're just saying stylistically it would look weird. personally i think it would look good even if it didnt use any gradient but just made the pitch black translucent instead, but whatever.
>>
>>24617687
It's kinda weird. I suggest you make it a darker green to make it look like moss or something.
>>
File: fennekin.png (1 KB, 69x84) Image search: [Google]
fennekin.png
1 KB, 69x84
How come fanmade sprites never quite capture that pokemon feel? It's strange, some are really well done, but they're just...off.
>>
File: carbink.png (890 B, 40x40) Image search: [Google]
carbink.png
890 B, 40x40
>>24620821
It's because they're all done by amateurs. Sometimes talented amateurs, but amateurs nonetheless.
>>
File: more dex.png (8 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
more dex.png
8 KB, 240x160
This doesn't even feel like the Hoenn Pokedex anymore.
>>
>>24620375
I just think there needs to be a good transition. Maybe dark > translucent > light
>>
>>24622543
Unfortunately I've already used the available palettes, so that's not really feasible on a ROM.
>>
>>24622677
But you said you were using Essentials.
>>
>>24622677
You're clearly not using a ROM.
>>
File: 54dda7253d.png (192 KB, 1382x744) Image search: [Google]
54dda7253d.png
192 KB, 1382x744
>>24622707
>>24623062
It's definitely a ROM lol. Idk who that imposter was.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.