[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rlg/ - Roguelike General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 198
File: 1463377671569s.jpg (8 KB, 244x183) Image search: [Google]
1463377671569s.jpg
8 KB, 244x183
Junethack is ongoing for the rest of June: https://junethack.net/
/rlg/ clan: Just kidding, there isn't one.

Poschengband 4.0.2 released: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=111187&postcount=195

DCSS Trunk Updates: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-25-may-2016

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: http://pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: http://pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
http://roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
http://pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Previous thread: >>144769169
>>
File: wan.png (449 KB, 933x856) Image search: [Google]
wan.png
449 KB, 933x856
Ohayou gozaimasu, /rlg/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's play our best today!
>>
Whats the most diesel DCSS character

Some sort of Chei bullshit right
>>
>>144899651
Gargoyle gladiator of chei.

Literally unkillable.
>>
File: thisisfine.png (3 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
thisisfine.png
3 KB, 308x308
Let's all embrace the suffering together.
>>
>>144899651
If you play a Fo of Chei you can use a two hander, a shield AND the heaviest armor you can find without trouble. And since you can't walk away or teleport your only option left is to tab
>>
File: memelee.png (46 KB, 800x281) Image search: [Google]
memelee.png
46 KB, 800x281
>300 melee damage at level 27 with a 1d2 weapon
I think I understand why tonberries are a meme race now.
>>
>>144899651
DDEE of Chei
get shatter up and running mid lair
>>
>>144899651
HOFi of Chei for sure. Those equipment slots, that HP, those stats, those aptitudes.
>>
>>144900043
aren't they slow or something to compensate for the retarded amount of damage that they do
>>
>>144900043
Who needs blows when you have slaying?

>>144900749
They do lose overall speed (1 every 10 levels) and also lose I believe 2 blows by the time they hit level 50.
>>
They'll remove all weapon categories except for m&f and short blades. They're remove all weapons in a weapon category except for the highest damage 1 hander and the highest damage 2 hander, since upgrading from mace to flail to morningstar et cetera is a no-brainer and tedium. The only choice will be whether to play with a shield or not. All that will remain of short blades is the dagger.

They'll get rid of all staves except for the staff of destruction which applies a spellpower boost to all spells and the staff of energy, since swapping between staves for your different spells is tedium and a no-brainer.

They'll eliminate all spells except for fireball and magic dart.

They'll eliminate all monsters except for rats, orcs, orc warriors, yaks, a new flavorless demonic monster, and Orb Guardians.

The only gods left will be Trog, Vehumet, and Dithmenos; for melee, magic, and stealth.

They'll restructure the entire dungeon so that the 1st floor is D:1, the 2nd floor is a 1 floor lair branch with a rune, then 3rd foor is a 1 floor vault branch with a rune, the 4th floor is 1 floor of hell/pan/abyss branch with a rune, and the 5th floor is Zot:$ with the orb of Zot.

Average game times will be 20 minutes, winnable during lunchbreak, and average winrates will stay in single digits because the the average player will be playing the app version and will be distracted by texts from his girlfriend.
>>
>Resist: Slash Impact Body Light Dark
>Weak : Pierce

Jaysus, Chthonic Artemis IS amazing

Maybe I'll actually win Demon for once
>>
>>144900975
this desu senpai
>>
I was this guy >>144887864

I forgot to ask, is Crawl the same as DC:SS? I was never clear on that. If not then which game was I even asking about?
>>
D:1
>Gnollpack
>Sigmund
>Jessica
>all at once
lol fuck me
>>
>>144901000
Damn girl
>Weak : Pierce
lmao
>>
>>144900827
I thought staffmasters get extra blows, but I'm not sure if that is actually the case since it isn't mentioned in my powers. They do retaliate, though which is almost as good on a tonberry.
>>
>>144901431
DCSS is dungeon crawl stone soup
>>
>>144901610
I know, but I was never sure if Crawl was the short form of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I think I learned DC:SS was based off Crawl or something but I can never remember that sort of thing.

Which game was I asking about? That game looked fun.
>>
>>144901431
the game started out as Linley's Dungeon Crawl, but then 10 years ago or so Linley Henzel got other people in on the development of the game and called the game Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Stone Soup is that one thing about 1 guy has just carrots and the next guy has must potatoes and the next guy has just celery, but together they are able to make a big delicious soup that everyone gets to enjoy.
>>
>>144901814
when people talk about crawl in these threads they're talking about DCSS unless they explicitly state they're playing the ten year old version
>>
>>144901814
Yes, you were asking about DC:SS, called "crawl" for short. If you plan to play on a webtiles server, post name and server so I can have a good laugh at your expenses.
>>
Do any other *bands have the goofiness of PCB uniques and character choices while being less of a monstrous slog?
>>
>>144902115
>>144902490
Okay thank you. What's a webtiles server?
>>
>>144902632
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto

Grab a server.

Register in 5 seconds on that server.

Press play crawl on any version, 0.1.8 is the last stable version, "trunk" is the most up to date version.
>>
>>144901000
Which modifier is chthonic?
>>
>>144903134
It comes from Python.

I only tried it out because of that comic anon posted a few threads ago tbqh, but I'm pretty satisfied.
>>
What should I waste my scroll of acquirement on?
>>
>>144903683
Wand
>>
Cool kids say wands but fuck that boring shit

Go for weapon unless you have something really good already, go for armor if you want a shield despite having 0 shield skill and a 2-hander, jewellry if you want something you'll find in 3 floors anyway, misc if you want to be moderately disappointed, and food if you beware the hunger cost
>>
>>144899467
Yes. It's going to be fun. I wouldn't pass on an opportunity to use a cool unrand when given the chance.
>>
>>144903405
Why is there a unique called python?
>>
>>144899557

I'm a vampire assassin. I worship Makhleb.

Should I train in something other than melee skills/evocations/darts(throwing)? I was thinking about hexes, but don't know if that will take too much away from my melee skill.
>>
>>144904428
I just looked this up because of your post:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(mythology)
It all makes sense now
>>
>>144904575
Hexes is a bad idea in my opinion.
You can get low level spells like repel missiles, blink, spectral weapon.
You can also learn haste if you don't have many haste potions and no wand. Training haste is only for like late-midgame or later, and you have to carefully consider if it's worth it for your character.
>>
>>144905216

Why do vampires have +4 hexes skill aptitude to start with then?
>>
>>144900749
level 50 tonberry has -5 to speed, -2 to blows, and their confusion resistance is reduced (halved, maybe?)
>>
>>144902548
chengband is like poschengband but without the posband bits
>>
>>144906003
what does that mean
>>
>>144905593
Hexes are not good if you're not stabbing. Even with +4 I don't think it's worth it with a non-stabber. This has been a flaw of the hexes school for a long time, since the Enchantment school got split into charms and hexes.

The devs are trying to address the problem of hexes not being useful enough for non-stabbers by making hexes a secondary school for new spells. This is not working well but at least they're trying.

By the way I recommended spectral weapon and it is part hexes.

Vampire enchanter (a vampire training hexes and stabbing) is a strong and fun combo.
>>
>>144905697
The only really bad one is the confusion vulnerability, since you can't realistically get it much above 20% with the way it scales.
>>
File: chaos-minotaur-gaming.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
chaos-minotaur-gaming.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
>start as a demonspawn fighter
>find potion of mutation on D:5
>3 tier horns
>randart axe of drain, rage, blink, str+9
I FEEL THE MiBe OVERTAKING ME
IT IS A GOOD PAIN
>>
>>144906524
Why don't they just merge both schools back together and lower apts to make up for it?
>>
>>144907526
>>find potion of mutation on D:5
>>3 tier horns
>>randart axe of drain, rage, blink, str+9
>I FEEL THE MiBe OVERTAKING ME
>IT IS A GOOD PAIN
jej
>>
>>144907890
That would be terrible. Both schools are so bogged down in useless bullshit, can you imagine a single school with everything in it?

I mean, of the 40 or so spells they have between them, name 10 that you really want to cast. Nightmare mode: you're only allowed to name spells that weren't removed yet.
>>
>>144908451
Like single school spells or what?
Fear
Confuse
Fulminant Prism
Darkness
Haste
Repel/Deflect Missiles
Song of Slaying
Spectral Weapon
Pain/Warp Brands
Metabolic Ejaculation
Ensorcelled Hibernation
Inner Flame
Portal Projectile (or is this Translocations only?)
Shroud of Golubria
Discord
Dazzling Spray
probably some others I'm forgetting
>>
I'm a FoAK and have 10 in M&F. I found a demon whip of Pain in Lair:7 and i was thinking of branding it with distro. Should i ?
>>
>>144909041
formicid? why not use a greatmace?
>>
>>144909034
The vast majority of those are things you can easily do without. You wouldn't go out of your way to get them.

The good ones are, let's see. Haste, Deflect Missiles, Discord, Invisibility...

That's all I have.
>>
>>144908451
They certainly need to stop giving a secondary hexes school to spells completely unrelated to hexes.

Not hexes: guardian golem, spectral weapon, fulminant prism!!.

Questionable: gell's gravitas, mana viper.

Making these spells hexes does not make people want to inherently train hexes. They just train hexes as an additional cost for the ONE spell out of the above that they're using.
>>
>>144909202
So? The vast majority of conjurations are things you can easily do without too. For basically the entire game you can make do with 3-4 conjurations in your spell list.
>>
>>144909608
Yeah, but that's because most conjurations are good, you're spoiled for choices. Meanwhile it's the opposite with charms and especially hexes, most of them are terrible.
>>
>>144909338
>Making these spells hexes does not make people want to inherently train hexes. They just train hexes as an additional cost for the ONE spell out of the above that they're using.
What is this even supposed to mean? The only reason you train any spell school in the first place is so you can use the spell(s) that require it.
>>
>>144909749
I guess that's true. There's a lot of possible combinations of conjurations you can use, while you'll only ever want the same few charms or hexes spells. So how should charms/hexes be fixed? Merging the schools? Cutting out multi-school spells that sneak in hexes/charms? Adding more effects and a greater variety of spells?
>>
>>144909143
So you say that i should save the branding for a greatmace?
>>
>>144910234
You're a formicid

There's no reason why you wouldn't use a two handed weapon. You don't get any penalties for doing so
>>
>>144899557

>wearing a regenerative troll-skin armor and using vampiric short sword

It feels good man.
>>
>>144909824
It means they're not training hexes to use hex spellS. It means they are, for example, a summoner, and they want mana viper so they train hexes to lvl 3 to make it easier to cast.

Or they are a conjurer and train hexes to make fulminant prism better.

With the spells listed in the previous post, hexes is just "that useless school that they have to put some xp in to make this conjuration/summoning/spectral weapon spell better".

There's still no character who wants to mainly train hexes for the sake of using many hex spells. Except for stabbers. And those who want to play a unique type of character and can handle a harder game.

This is why making random spells that aren't hexes hexes is a bad idea. That is, aside from these spells not being hexes and being forced into the hex category.
>>
>>144910172
>Adding more effects and a greater variety of spells?
This would be the best solution, but the problem is that the game would need more status effects for it to really shine. Still, there's always making variants of existing spells, like bringing back mass confusion and flight and such. I miss those. Pity the trend right now is REMOVE REMOVE REMOVE instead of adding to the game.
>>
As an extensive axe user is it a good idea to carry around the undeadhunter great mace when going to pan/ziggs? I've found it in dis and since i already cleared crypt/tomb i'm wondering if it has any use left
>>
>>144910813
Another problem is that conjurations which work on everything are very easy to get your hands on, status effects are far more limited. I mean when I first started playing I thought silence is completely awesome. But it's not, it's worthless because almost everything you'd want to silence is immune to it.
>>
>>144909041
Distortion is a strong brand but it's extremely unfun to play with if you're trying to kill enemies (you probably are).

And it's bad vs ranged enemies because it blinks them away from you.
>>
>>144910813
Agreed. There's a ton of good and interesting magical effects from decks and even enemies (including those special demonspawn that Sap your magic) but those will probably never be usable by the PC because they're considered too powerful
>>
>>144910976
Hexes are supposed to be situationally powerful since they often completely disable the target from doing anything.
Silence completely fucks dedicated casters, liches, and mummies.
Tukima's fucks over big scary weapon dudes.
Confuse fucks over sentient others.
This is fucked up by high MR and magic immune enemies though. As well as enemies immune to every form of hex.
>>
>>144910813
Wow, why was mass confusion removed? It was one of the strongest hex spells for a non-stabber. That's really stupid. Whoever did this really did a not good thing.
>>
>>144911460
So a given hex might have 10% viability, while a given conjuration has from 60% to 100%

That doesn't seem like a problem? With one spell you can disable a guy, and with another you can kill him on the spot. Why is the second one valued less?
>>
>>144911028
What's the difference between banishing with distortion or killing with other brands besides less exp?
>>
>>144911617
I agree. There are many problems with hexes and the biggest one is "Why does the game think that temporarily disabling an enemy is better than killing it immediately?"
>>
>>144911795
Nothing, aside from meeting banished uniques in the Abyss.

The problem is distortion teleports things away and then you have to chase them all over the level. Or it teleports something dangerous right before you kill it and you have to fight it again. It could sneak up on you from behind unexpectedly while you're fighting something else.
>>
>>144912020
Well, spending three mp to confuse a fire giant is less than spending 18 or whatever to kill it with bolts of cold.

I mean, if it was actually effective at doing so.
>>
>>144911617
because usually your conjurations aren't oneshotting things
or else the things that you CAN oneshot are the ones that aren't really threatening

yeah once you get super high-level conjurations you can start blowing things up real good but that's way more xp than with hexes
>>
Yo hexers are strong as fuck. My loremaster SpEn was disabling dragons, giants and other strong dudes at 30-50% with confuse, which might as well have been deathray once it succeeded. Conjurations are really strong, but you're never going to invalidate a good portion of the midgame with your level 3 spell.
>>
>>144912123
What about having a distro weapon for swapping?
>>
>>144912409

You know that hexes suffer from the same problem, right? The things that hexes are likely to affect on the first shot are the same things that will get one shot by conjurations. Sure, a strong enemy isn't going to be killed by a single nuke, but he isn't going to be disabled by a single hex either. On the contrary, you're probably better off throwing conjurations at him, because at least they're doing something.
>>
>>144912616
Can be useful.
>>
>>144912616
lugonu prevents disto unwield
and greatmaces are common as fuck, anon will guaranteed have a huge pile of them by the end of Vaults:1 so he can disto the enchantedest one and keep #2 as a swap for yaktaurs and shit
>>
>M&F on an ant
Everything about this disgusts me.
>>
>>144912865
>He doesn't like drowning in great maces by the end of D
>>
>>144912865
Lmao. Found a manual too.
>>
>>144912865
>picking anything other than M&F
>>
>>144912865
>going longswords or axes and never finding exec/triple
>>
>>144913915
yeah seriously those weapon categories are only for tablards of oka/trog
>>
>>144913915
Then you lose 1 base damage for 2 skill, or 2 base damage and gain cleaving.
You also lose all your hopes and dreams of having fun.
>>
Is there a limit on how many mutations you can have? Because I've quaffed two potions of beneficial mutation in a row and both did nothing.

>You feel fantastic for a moment.
>>
I picked up the Terror Mask in PCB, which has insane stats. However, the last time I dealt with an ancient and foul curse was in ZAngband when it still had a static wilderness. How badly will it fuck me here? Playing a Balrog Swordmaster in case that's relevant.
>>
>>144914538
yes there is a limit
>>
>>144914538
There's a soft cap, yes.
>>
>>144914538
It cuts you off xom's juice after you have enough muts.
>>
>>144914662
can you survive being in melee range of 1 + 1d3 cyberdemons?
(you better have good as fuck shards resist and some 0% or very low% fail escapes)
it also does some other shit but that's the nastiest probably
>>
>>144914680
>>144914696
>>144914751
Well that sucks. At least I got the important mutations, Robust 3, wild magic 3, clarity, and blink
>>
>>144914978
Yes, at least you have those.
>>
File: ghiblifood.jpg (141 KB, 750x398) Image search: [Google]
ghiblifood.jpg
141 KB, 750x398
>>144914978
You have every mut worth having. What more could you want, anon?
>>
>>144914863
Yeah, that would end rather poorly. Perhaps I'll stash it in my house for the time being.

Thanks.
>>
Wasn't there an octopode some time ago that multi-zigged with gozag to get enough potion shops with !benMut? I remember his A screen looking fucking incredible
>>
>>144915321
I want all the muts, all of them. I want to become the perfect being.
>>
File: mutations.jpg (76 KB, 721x322) Image search: [Google]
mutations.jpg
76 KB, 721x322
>>144915650
I took this days ago. Not like anything can ever change again.
>>
>>144915650
>you have the stone of chaos
>>
>>144915738
>tfw clarity and spamming crystal ball
tornado shatter ball shatter shatter ball shatter shatter ball REPEAT FOREVER
>>
>>144915738
How many tiles is the radius of your LOS with that nightstalker mutation? I've dreamed of getting it but never have. But then again I've only played a handful of demonspawn.
>>
>>144916012
>>
>>144916081
then robe of night and the spell 'darkness' reduce it by a further 1 tile each? Then a lantern of shadows 1 more?

fuuuuck I'm imagining that happening while wroshipping ashenzari
>>
Are enchanters of chei any good?
>>
>>144916293
Apparently they only "partially" stack.
>>
>>144915650
>Sex: Useless
>>
>>144916440
Anything of cheI is good
>>
File: wizardsticks.png (95 KB, 727x535) Image search: [Google]
wizardsticks.png
95 KB, 727x535
Dual staves does work for keeping the bonuses, though I'm not sure if I can advance dual wielding skill enough to be worth it.

I like the image of someone using two magical wizard gadgets as clubs, though.
>>
>>144916293
How is ash relevant?
>>
>>144916883
he gives you that sight, so you can stumble around with a 1-tile LOS and walk around monsters straight to the staircase. Would be pretty nice. You could even pop scry. Just imagine it.
>>
>>144916883
Monster tracking and passive mapping
>>
>>144900975
[citation needed]

>>144901439
>uniques on D:1
[citation needed]

>>144903683
Wand if you don't have hasting or heal wounds yet. If you have those then weapon/armor/jewellery, whatever you lack the most. Jewellery acquirement has been buffed recently in trunk and is now semi-decent.

>>144906524
>Hexes are not good if you're not stabbing. Even with +4 I don't think it's worth it with a non-stabber.
With +4 in Hexes you have two runes handed to you for free, especially if you find Invisibility too. With +4 in Hexes you can successfully confuse 60% of opponents in late game and some of the remaining ones don't see invisible.

>>144909202
You can also do without any of the ones you mentioned (Discord of all things? really?), just play a tabber or a conjurer.
Confuse and Tukima's are great throughout the whole game. Silence + Darkness is a free Tomb rune, but people barely bother.

>>144909338
You have no idea how great Prism is for Felids exactly because of it being half in Hexes.

>>There's still no character who wants to mainly train hexes for the sake of using many hex spells. Except for stabbers.
If you aren't using hexes on all of your vampires, spriggans, felids and non-conjurer deep elves, you're actively gimping yourself.
>>
>>144916856
In the endgame you will probably just want to use a big staff with extra attacks, since you may notice that dual-wielding splits up your big racial slaying bonus.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
I forgot to save that really good pic of Xom someone posted in the last thread. made him look like a white gremlin with puppets, anyone have it?
>>
>>144921361
Geez it's not like as if there was a way to look at it
>>
>>144917804
>With +4 in Hexes you have two runes handed to you for free, especially if you find Invisibility too.
I thought you were talking about invisibility until you said "if you find invisibility too". No, confuse?? doesn't result in 2 free runes. If you said that about invis specifically I wouldn't disagree. Though simply training melee works too and then doesn't become useless against dangerous monsters. Snake is not a free rune with hexes either.

>With +4 in Hexes you can successfully confuse 60% of opponents in late game
And for the other 40% you spent 15 levels or more in a useless skill. A game of crawl is as hard as the hardest fights in that game. The strongest monsters in the late game resist hexes and see invis.

>If you aren't using hexes on all of your vampires, spriggans, felids and non-conjurer deep elves, you're actively gimping yourself.
I'll just use a ring of invis if I get one and spend xp on melee skills so that I can reliably fight things instead of fucking around with shadow creatures or 20% success confuse tier 3 stabbing.

I've played two spriggans, a vampire and a felid with hexes. It sucks because of the enemies that resist hexes. It's not worth it. The felid is an exception, I'm happy with how hexes worked. I used confusing touch during the whole game and invis and mass confusion to great effect. However I wonder if it would've been just as easy if I put that xp into more unarmed combat. Also that was before the addition of many dangerous monsters that would've destroyed that character. Also it would not have been worth it if I was using a weapon and couldn't use confusing touch, so it's only a felid thing.

I can see fulminant prism being good for felids.
>>
File: febe.jpg (380 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
febe.jpg
380 KB, 1920x1080
Where to next, lads? Dont have the resistances for snake yet
>>
>>144921361
>go to top of thread
>click the previous thread link on the OP
>ctrl+F xom until you find it
>kill yourself
>>
File: Capture.png (14 KB, 642x348) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14 KB, 642x348
Okay, I seem to be total shit at playing monsters so I'll just go back to doing human stuff. This time it's warrior.
>>
>>144921494
>And for the other 40% you spent 15 levels or more in a useless skill.
You could get discord with that investment. Or mana vipers, which is up there with invis for me as one of the strongest hexes.

The real issue with a lot of things in crawl is you aren't guaranteed to find any particular spell while you are guaranteed to find a weapon that with kill things and tab tab tab away.

>I'll just use a ring of invis if I get one
Yeah... about that.
>>
>>144921628
Kill the uniques you have left behind, maybe do the first floor of depths and vaults very carefully and see how you fare, get a better amulet
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 640x473) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 640x473
>>144921694
>>144921432
ah fuck, I only checked the catalog like a retard. brb killing self
>>
>>144922567
I'm trying family. Aight I'll see how it goes
>>
>>144921628
For a moment I thought you were a formicid and was completely clueless of why you would build a FoBe like that
>>
File: dragon.png (15 KB, 771x336) Image search: [Google]
dragon.png
15 KB, 771x336
Crawlbabby here

I have a green DrTm running, and have some solid items from brokawaru, including the warlock's mirror

Should i immediately gun for getting statue form online?
>>
>>144923238
Yeah go for it
>>
>>144923238
I'd get more fighting and dodging, but it depends on what your defenses look like.
>>
>>144845779
>Change the gender of a few uniques.

Literally why
>>
>>144924223
Not to start this shit again, but why couldn't they go the nethack way and have everything's gender randomized?
>>
File: Capture.png (12 KB, 641x346) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12 KB, 641x346
Damn that was a treacherous journey. I wasted 4 teleport scrolls just to escape orc war parties that I can't fight yet. I'm here in Telmora for the hill giant that drops easy potions of speed so I can go kill Azog.
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 636x348) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 636x348
A little bit of orc cave to buff myself up for a little arena.
>>
File: jellies.png (113 KB, 805x918) Image search: [Google]
jellies.png
113 KB, 805x918
whoa
>>
File: Capture.png (7 KB, 641x351) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7 KB, 641x351
There was this heavily enchanted broad spear of *slay* orc in the black market. Not sure if I should spend 10k on it just for Azog.
>>
File: Capture.png (12 KB, 646x349) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12 KB, 646x349
>>144925826
It was gone by the time I came back so that doesn't even matter.
>>
File: Capture.png (18 KB, 638x347) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18 KB, 638x347
Feels good being /money/
>>
File: Capture.png (5 KB, 641x347) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5 KB, 641x347
It's time to duel.
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 643x349) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 643x349
>>144928505
>>
>chaos breath destroys my staff of identify in the cloning pits
>having to spend healings to kill garm without dark resist
>who knows what goodies I left behind
At least the reward filled a lot my resist holes, so it was worth it overall.
>>
>>144924375
That's what they said they were doing, but they actually just changed male uniques into female uniques XD.
Also, if you disagree with the changes, then you are a crybaby and need to grow up because you obviously hate women, you fucking cis-white-male.
>>
>>144921710
>human warrior
Feels 100% man.
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 641x350) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 641x350
Found this cool katana in the shop.
>>
File: Capture.png (19 KB, 639x345) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
19 KB, 639x345
Orc for the cloak and then Azog
>>
File: Capture.png (12 KB, 639x349) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12 KB, 639x349
>>144931280
This corner is really useful.
>>
File: Capture.png (19 KB, 633x346) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
19 KB, 633x346
>>144931618
Padded armor of resist cold and acid along with this cloak for the rewards. Not bad.
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 643x348) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
16 KB, 643x348
Azog time.
>>
File: Capture.png (14 KB, 641x338) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
14 KB, 641x338
>>144932534
wewlad
>>
File: rCorr_doesn't_do_shit.png (26 KB, 816x57) Image search: [Google]
rCorr_doesn't_do_shit.png
26 KB, 816x57
le ebin corrosion meme
>>
File: Capture.png (18 KB, 639x350) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
18 KB, 639x350
A bunch of glaaki spawned for some reason so I had to tele out and heal up. Took longer than it needed to but the job is done.
>>
File: #2.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
#2.jpg
303 KB, 1920x1080
Alright boys, rune #2
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 645x344) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
16 KB, 645x344
UP NEXT: The Labyrinth tomorrow:^)have a good rest of your morning/afternoonnight guys
>>
File: d2597.jpg (66 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
d2597.jpg
66 KB, 500x356
>>144933121
>weavers in linesprint
>can't get to them fast enough so they corrode the fuck out of your equipment
>>
File: hqwqx.png (18 KB, 805x454) Image search: [Google]
hqwqx.png
18 KB, 805x454
Playing a Black DrTm^Ru.
Wondering if I should pick up some spells or what.

Earth Magic is Sacced, so no Statue Form, unfortunately.

Was considering getting some Air and grabbing Ozo's into FCloud, since I have a ring of Ice and a staff of air (which gives 2 enhancers to FCloud, I think?), and of course Ozo's is very nice on an armorless character. Never played with Alistair's before either.

Could also definitely go for some Evoc, since it's always good and I have a \Clouds and [Invisibility- no BoB/sack though since sacced love.

Dump is: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/nikheizen/nikheizen.txt
>>
>>144934782
>no statue form

abandon all hope
>>
>>144933747
Follow this guide: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/docs/ssh_guide.txt
The RSA key for berotato can be found here: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/keys/cbro_key.ppk
You will want to ssh to
[email protected]
Putty probably has a "user" field where "crawler" goes though.
>>
File: almost_king.png (386 KB, 1256x924) Image search: [Google]
almost_king.png
386 KB, 1256x924
the octopus who would almost be king
>>
>>144936649
I would give anything for Yuif to get a lucky hit and banish you
>>
>>144934782
Only need blade hands. Optionally haste or dragon form.
>>
>>144937331
he tried, he certainly tried.
>>
>>144936649
>Crazy Yiuf misses you.
;_;
>>
>>144938262
you know what else yiuf misses? hammers.
>>
File: shittydevsstrikeagain.png (66 KB, 540x315) Image search: [Google]
shittydevsstrikeagain.png
66 KB, 540x315
>>144938942
NEVER FORGET
>>
>>144938942
>>144939434
The game is objectively better since hammers were removed, you uneducated fools just can't understand how problematic they really were.
>>
File: d2377.jpg (18 KB, 510x476) Image search: [Google]
d2377.jpg
18 KB, 510x476
>>144939632
hello rebbit
>>
>>144939632
how can it be objectively better if they removed a object altering tool?
>>
>>144939632
tell me, where did the hammers touch you
>>
How come every time I go into an ice cave there's a ghost of a berserker?
>>
>>144940824
Because a Be's natural response to external stimuli is to mash berserk.
Even if not engaging may be the better idea.
>>
>>144940952
That makes sense. I have literally not had an ice cave without a 20+AC berserker ghost in there. And I am using literally literally. So much loot I've had to forgo because of these tablords
>>
>>144941195
For a Lair Ice Cave, an Ice Giant at the end is usually easily the most dangerous monster you've faced and will face for a good while.
They're Depths/Vaults level enemies and many people don't exercise the degree of caution that demands. Be's tend to have a larger proportion of new players I'd wager.
>>
>>144941484
Oh yeah and the occasional double-ice-dragon end. If an ice giant won't kill you those probably will.
>>
>>144941484
They should just call it a graveyard then
Can't believe how often I find ghosts in it
>>
>>144916293
>implying lantern of shadows hasn't gone the way of the mountain dwarf
>>
>>144916293
Is it possible to get down to 1 tile LOS? I had a DS before who was at 4, and I also found the robe of the night in that run but I wasn't using it. I wasn't worshipping Ash either.
>>
>>144906981
My first level 50 Tonberry died to a Keeper of Secrets, Lord of Change and Warp Demon Gangbang due to getting perma-confused.
That was a long while ago though when I was even more of a baddie than now.
At least my second level 50 Tonberry fell heroically fighting the Serpent.
But yeah, Tonberry monks are too fun.
>>
File: SCREEE.jpg (254 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SCREEE.jpg
254 KB, 1920x1080
Even in crawl I can't get away from them
>>
>>144899557
>want to try a new roguelike
>download and attempt infra arcana 10 times with different builds but never make it past the third level
>get bored and move on to nethack 4
>press ? to figure shit out and i'm greeted with a massive wall of keyboard shortcut combinations that use key functions i've never heard of in my life

is nethack really worth reading through all these fucking commands and figuring out how the hell to perform "meta-g" to grope things?
>>
File: fuck me.png (242 KB, 1277x678) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.png
242 KB, 1277x678
Going for a 15 runer, somehow didn't discover disintegration. Look at this fucking sarcophagus.

No LRD either. I have to run pan for a million years until I can cast Shatter. Joy. I already have the other runes.
>>
>>144943153
Meta is either control or alt. Didn't even know that grope was a command.
>>
>>144943675
I don't think that's normal. Might be a bug or unintentional.
>>
>>144943153
nethack controls are more or less mnemonic.
[k]ick [z]ap [q]uaff [Q]uiver etc.
only really strange one is [A]
>>
>>144943869
Maybe. The odds of not discovering disintegration are quite low, so I really should have found a solution. I guess it's one of those perfect storm moments.
>>
>>144943039
I can hear the battle music even now.
>>
>>144942502
robe of night and darkness spell would each be an additional -1

if lantern of shadows existed you could wield one of those two
>>
File: lol.png (231 KB, 1276x669) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
231 KB, 1276x669
>>144943996
Or wait I could just blink in lol

Guess I was overthinking it
>>
File: 1463189268500.jpg (13 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1463189268500.jpg
13 KB, 384x288
>you fall through a shaft for 3 floors!
>search for stairs up
>you fall through a shaft!
>keep searching for stairs up
>you fall through a shaft for 2 floors!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME
I HAVE GONE FROM LAIR 2 TO LAIR 8
>>
>>144944314
My favourite was
>You hear a distant snort!
>You fall through a shaft!
>You fall through a shaft for 3 floors!
>>
File: xbow.jpg (210 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
xbow.jpg
210 KB, 1920x1080
d-do I switch to crossbows?
>>
>>144944906
>Fo^Chei with sniper
Holy moly!
>>
>>144945328
I had the little fortress surrounded by a moat full of crossbowers in orc 2 as well, so Ive got 600 bolts prevaults
>>
>>144944906
Learn how to use them after your melee and defenses are rock solid. You can use that to absolutely fuck dudes in pan and stuff, especially those dangerous mutators and tormenters.
>>
File: 1290714888987.jpg (4 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1290714888987.jpg
4 KB, 126x126
How bad is the Inacc from the Amulet of Air?
>>
>>144946120
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20230
>>
How come nikola always seems to spawn on snake 1? Are they trying to make snake an electric branch now?
>>
>>144946120
5. It's 5 bad.
>>144946480
Confirmation bias. No.
>elec branch
Jesus Chris Campbell remove this idea from your mind.
>>
>>144946823
My last 2 games have had nikola on snake 1. Agnes also had an elec lajatang on snake 1. I've also killed over a dozen shock serpents. Theres almost more electric than poison in this branch
>>
>>144946998
in my most recent game I got Nikola, Agnes, Asterion and Donald on snake 1. Uniques just love it
>>
>>144947289
Man, I hate snake.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-09-00-39-33.png (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-09-00-39-33.png
113 KB, 1280x720
The worst thing about this is that it's actually kind of playable.
>>
File: lancelot.png (101 KB, 1586x892) Image search: [Google]
lancelot.png
101 KB, 1586x892
He didnt summon I am so happy
>>
Is there a reason why naga poison spit bypasses rPois 100% of the time?
>>
File: Donald.png (815 B, 32x32) Image search: [Google]
Donald.png
815 B, 32x32
This guy slaps you on the ass and says he's going to make crawl great again. What do you do?
>>
>>144949579
I accuse him of bloat and remove him
>>
File: mpa-PCB jelly2.png (480 KB, 1920x1041) Image search: [Google]
mpa-PCB jelly2.png
480 KB, 1920x1041
I thought I was recommended a meme yesterday to play as a Jelly but Jellies are pretty fucking great.
Intrinsic immunities to Acid, Fear and Blindness at 25 and the innate attack is quite good until I find a decent weapon.
Going to the last evolution their only bad aspect seems to be that they can't dual-wield.
>>
>>144949579
Ascend with him.
>>
>>144950039
which god allowed you to get a permanent companion again?
>>
>>144949974
Also saw this in the code
>/* TODO: Consider giving timed benefits based on what is absorbed.
For example, TR_RES_FIRE might give temp fire resistance and
TR_SPEED might give temporary haste.
*/
I hope Chris some day gets to implementing it.
>>
>>144950131
HEP
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-09-00-57-03.png (125 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-09-00-57-03.png
125 KB, 720x1280
Down one font size and in portrait, I can TAB!
>>
>>144936649
Trident of the octopus king has a +8 enchantment. That means that octopus has 7 rings of the octopus king on
>>
>>144950418
>I can see!
>I CAN FIGHT!
>>
>>144950508
>I can walk!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-09-01-23-06.png (118 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-09-01-23-06.png
118 KB, 720x1280
That's enough of that. I am not Formicid enough for this to not hurt my eyes.
Maybe one day I will own a smart phone with a xbox hueg screen to play roguelikes on. Truly the most expensive console for the most expensive and recent games.
>>
So what's the verdict on The Stormbringer? Is it worth using?
>>
>>144951037
Yeah it's a great, practically guaranteed midgame vamping weapon with good dice and enchantment. It's biggest weakness for most characters is actually that it lacks good slays. Most fighters can get great use out of it at Arena 50.
>>
>>144949974
Jellies are really awesome. Simple, but fun and the flavour is great. Can you believe they used to have even more slots?
>>
>>144949471
even things that bypass rpois only apply 1/3rd the amount of poison IIRC

also one of the magicky naga classes can stick you with an rPois- status if you have bad MR
>>
>>144951939
>Can you believe they used to have even more slots?

Damn.
My end-game goal is to wear 2 Power-Dragon Scale Mails.
>>
>>144944079
I tested this in wizmode back when lantern was still in, it wouldn't go any lower than 2.
>>
Whew, almost had to end it because we were down so long.
>>
Anyone know how the junethack 'escapologist' trophy is unlocked? My guess is escaping the dungeon (duh), but that seems too easy.
>>
>>144949974
Yeah, you may have asked for a meme but I didn't really give you one. Jellies are fun and end up pretty powerful as well. I had a promising one that's now stuck in 3.6 because the saves aren't compatible. Shame really.
>>
Is there a way to know if a ghost I left behind ruined the day to someone?
>>
>the elona thread died on /jp/
what a shit hole
>>
Oh hey we're back. I just took a tally of all the ammo from those basements and I have like 500 handgun rounds and 180~ shotgun rounds. 40 being birdshot and therefore kind of shit. Looks like I'm going to be taking a good portion of that city by force.
>>
>>144954096
Theres one on /v/ right now >>/v/340504146
I already shitposted in it.
>>
>>144954226
thanks for warming it up
>>
File: 1392041795034.png (367 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1392041795034.png
367 KB, 800x800
>>144954249
I messed up the link >>>/v/340504146
>>
>>144954098
Hot damn. I wish I could find a good amount of ammo like that.
>>
>>144954930
Its a nice change from stabbing everything to death with a wooden spear.
>>
>>144955097
Ha, I would imagine so.
>>
File: 1459679257088.jpg (82 KB, 902x713) Image search: [Google]
1459679257088.jpg
82 KB, 902x713
>>
>>144958583
What realms you got
>>
File: 1459263884727.gif (173 KB, 600x630) Image search: [Google]
1459263884727.gif
173 KB, 600x630
>>144958785
My first realm lets me vary my penis-size from 3cm (soft) to 7cm (hard).
The second realm gets me meds so I don't kill myself.
>>
>>144958927
>7cm
Cute
>>
>>144958927
I bet you have to use devices a lot.
>>
>>144959229
>>144959303
I could go deeper with my goddamn pinky-finger.
>>
>>144958927
Those both sound like Craft.
>>
>>144959398
Craft and Life.
>>
>making a demigod of zeus shieldmaster
>stuck on a name
>look up Perseus
>he was a son of zeus
Fits like a fukken glove.
>>
IMB or Force Lance?
And are either even worth using when you've got battlesphere online and can spam magic dart for cheap battlesphere shots?
>>
>>144960314
Too bad the Shield of Perseus is a low-level shitty artifact.
>>
>>144960434
Yeah, but I'm not so bound to roleplaying that I'd restrict myself to only using it or something. Just solved my naming dilemma.
>>
>>144960367
Force lance is crazy good to push away dudes getting too close for your liking, does decent damage and is fairly easy to cast. I find it usually more usefull than IMB in most cases. When you get battleshpere online force lance will still be usefull to blast away enemies that managed to sneak up to you or beefy guys that managed to survive and walk past your barragge of purple shots.
>>
File: The middle of nowhere.png (32 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
The middle of nowhere.png
32 KB, 1366x768
So I spawned in an evac shelter seemingly in the middle of fucking nowhere. NPC that spawned with me wants me to go after a jabberwock, but I met a terrible and early end the last time someone wanted me to kill one so I got the hell out of there. So I checked out the nearby cluster of houses, and as luck would have it there's an RV in working condition but no battery or fuel. Cleared out the area of zombies, found a gun basement so now I have a few guns, and a little bit of food from the other basement which had a bar.

Day 2 and now I'm stuck in my RV because there's a giant wasp hovering nearby that won't fuck off, and I have no idea if I can take him on safely with my minimal equipment since I have no armor, no gun skills, and no first aid/bandages/meds. I guess I'm just gonna have to use this Remington 870 and blast it with the reloaded 00 shot that was in the basement and hope for the best, because I need the wasp gone so I can siphon fuel from the other vehicles so I can get the fuck out of here.

Once I get the RV fueled up which way should I head? I'm wary of the FEMA camp so I'll hold off on checking it out until I'm better equipped. I'm considering checking that other evac shelter but they always seem to be pretty light on loot.
>>
>>144962512
Check out that other shelter then hit the road
>>
>>144962512
Giant wasps have pain-causing poison which can be quite nasty if the fight drags on, but they aren't very tough otherwise. You should be able to take it if you have a half-decent weapon. If you have a gun, you can definitely take it, but the noise might make other stuff show up.

FEMA camps have zombie soldiers, which don't hit all that hard, but have tough armor. There's also a chance of zombie scientists, which can spawn manhacks. The shelter might have some loot in the basement, and you might as well check it out since it's basically guaranteed not to have enemies.
>>
>>144964201
Yep, the wasp went down with a single shotgun shell. Had to drag around a motorcycle in order to siphon gasoline from the unusable vehicles since I don't have any containers to work with yet. Will head to the other shelter once I do a quick double-check for anything else I missed that I want to grab.
>>
What roguelike has

1. a faction system where the factions will actively launch raids against each other and take land and stuff like in dorf fortress.

2. Uses something that isn't ascii for graphics (tiles, sprites, ect)

and yes I read the sticky. I just can't find anything talking about faction systems.
>>
>>144964589
Sid Meier's Civilization.
>>
>>144964683
I have that already but thanks for the advice. Uh, is there anything where I can just be a single character though? And I also have Mount and Blade, before someone recommends that. Its just that my favorite type of game is the kind that drops you into a living world that will grow and decline completely on its own, even if the player does nothing. I'm always on the lookout for more games like that to get into.
>>
>most classes get a small metal shield as the warg quest reward
>shieldmaster gets a small leather shield
The fuck is this bullshit
>>
>>144964589
>>144965230

Anon, the answer to "what roguelike is like Dwarf Fortress in terms of super complicated thing -- as opposed to building projects?" is going to be "probably nothing."
>>
>>144964589
UnReal World, sort of? At least there are the njerpez. Can't think of anything else.
>>
>>144965497
Mount and blade did it pretty well I thought.
>>
I've been thinking that a roguelike with serious monster infighting could be novel, the idea that levels are less like a peaceful town or bank vault you're cracking into but more of a riot within a city that it is not in your best interests to allow to go on.

Essentially the idea is that when monsters factions fight, the result will always be at least as bad as if you did nothing: monsters either gain levels or so forth from friends and enemies alike, or use the value to summon demons/etc as reinforcements (mages etc), or raise dead bodies as minions. Others might merge with dead bodies into a still greater monster, etc. This advancement shouldn't kick in instantly, but if you just leave say a group of dark elves and orcs to fight, the resulting leveled survivors will be harder than either group.

Overall idea is, when evil fights evil, evil still wins, in the sense of being the antagonists at any rate.
>>
>>144966192
Play nethack with an amulet of ESP and a ring of conflict
>>
>>144966192
PCB can have monster infighting, but the XP thresholds for monster evolution are such that it'd never result in the end scenario you describe.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 198

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.