[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tv/ vs /film/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
File: tv vs film.jpg (30 KB, 864x432) Image search: [Google]
tv vs film.jpg
30 KB, 864x432
Memes aside, what are our desired parameters for /film/?

Some examples (not necessarily my own suggestions)
>Retro (pre-1975? pre-2000?)
>Nothing made in Hollywood
>No sequels/prequels
>Nothing based on other intellectual property (nothing based on novels, comics, video-games, television series, etc.) i.e. wholly original films
>Nothing that made over $200mil at the worldwide box office
>Everything - a simple split of film and television

What are your own thoughts and suggestions?
>>
Star Wars and Capeshit must be contained to their respective generals.
>>
>>68801117
This would be really good.
>>
>>68801090
that one. just have a film board and a tv board. tv gets stuck with doctor who and star trek generals, film gets stuck with disney.
>>
>>68801117
Agreed - though this should and could easily be a rule right here on /tv/. The fact that it's never been enforced is mind-boggling.
>>
>>68801090
If it's a film or movie it goes on /film/

Not really that hard to understand.
>>
>>68801117
this or you can just keep posting your console war stuff here. I don't really care.
>>
>>68801090

This one. But put actual mods/jannies to contain capeshit, disneyshit and star wars to generals.
>>
File: 1340842968726.jpg (46 KB, 600x385) Image search: [Google]
1340842968726.jpg
46 KB, 600x385
>>68801192
>but muh """"art house""""
>but muh films with artistic merit!!!
>>
the split is going to be
>/tv/ - Television
>/film/ - Movies and Film
and not
/tv/ - Television and movies
/film/ - Film
meaning that /film/ is going to be every bit as pleb as /tv/ was
enjoy your star wars and capeshit
>>
>>68801192
Well, yes. That's why I had
up in the OP. It's a perfectly legitimate and easy way to split the boards.

But it's not the only way. You also deal with possible overlap when we talk about franchises like the MCU where they have both television and film in the same universe. Is Daredevil forbidden on /film/, even when we discuss the MCU? Are the Star Trek films forbidden on /tv/ when we discuss the series?
Or do we take a /co/ approach, where films/tv are allowed to be discussed on the opposing board, but only where they are relevant to the discussion?
>>
>>68801117
That is the best solution. Move capeshit and stuff to /film/ but keep in a general.
>>
>>68801238
if you don't show up it'll be less pleb
>>
File: 1445241004238.jpg (37 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
1445241004238.jpg
37 KB, 600x580
>>68801219
>not having a sincere appreciation or understanding of film as a medium
>still visiting /tv/
>>
>>68801238
Is this confirmed?
>>
>>68801251
> where films/tv are allowed to be discussed on the opposing board, but only where they are relevant to the discussion?
Yes. Are you really this stupid that you need someone to hold your hand and explain this shit to you?
>>
It will have everything count as film.
>>
>>68801090
>>No sequels/prequels
>>Nothing based on other intellectual property (nothing based on novels, comics, video-games, television series, etc.) i.e. wholly original films
if i had my way it would be this one. no remakes, no reboots, just original stories.
>>
>>68801303
Then that will make for a slow fucking board with very little to talk about.
>>
>>68801289
No, not at all; I just explained it myself. And I explained the opposing viewpoints.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
>>
>>68801322
I'd rather a slow board than a cancerous board. See: neo-/tv/
>>
>>68801322
That's not necessarily true, plenty of films are based on original IP.
And not even necessarily classic films. Even Avatar would fall under that definition (though we could all have a bitch about how the word "original" applies here).
It would rule out all capeshit, all Star Wars sequels, all vidyashit, but the works of most auteurs would be fairly safe, I think.
>>
>>68801341
True but a lot of older films that are great then can't be post due to being remakes
>>
>>68801322
>the only things there is to talk about are reboots and remakes
>>
it should be:

/tv/
/stm/ (streaming television)
/film/
/mov/
/kino/
/flix/
/ads/
>>
>all these redditors mad that their le epic bane threads will receive half the attention now
based haruhi suzumiya
>>
This is what should happen

/tv/ - Television and Internet Media
/film/ - Film & Movies
>>
>>68801368
there would be some sacrifices but i think on the whole it would be better
>>
>>68801363
This is kind of a good point but what if for instance I wanted to start a thread about the Before Trilogy?
>>
>>68801394
But /tv/ will keep making bane threads
>>
>>68801363
>>68801303
that's the most idiotic thing i've ever heard
so if i want to talk about Orson Welle's Othello I would have to go to a separate board than the board to talk about Citizen Kane?
>>
So /film/ automatically becomes slow then?
>>
>>68801398
or maybe
Television and Video to include Youtube shit. either name would do
>>
>>68801394
>tfw when reddit calls others reddit

D-do I fit in yet guys?
>>
>>68801402
>>68801436
Well, I mean, this is why this discussion is good.
Perhaps sequels are okay, but remakes are not. But then we have Star Wars prequels and Terminator Genisys back on there. It will never be perfect, it's about finding where most of us are okay.

This is why I listed so many options in the OP. I haven't offered a personal opinion at all, just going through the possibilities.
>>
>>68801398
>>68801464
/ser/ - series
/film/ - films

Then you'd have web-series, miniseries, stream-exclusive series and television series on one board, with films (theatrically-released, straight-to-video and straight-to-television) all on the other.
>>
>>68801474
The most likely possibility that is gonna happen is everything film is allowed and capeshit is kept in generals. Why then have a board called "Films & Movies" if you won't allow certain movies. You should then just call it "Films"
>>
File: 1456212038233.jpg (37 KB, 413x536) Image search: [Google]
1456212038233.jpg
37 KB, 413x536
The actual solution is to make /wd/ for Disney shillcore like Star Wars and capeshit along with a worksafe /cel/ for e-celeb YouTube shit..

Optional boards include /tvg/ for /tv/ generals and /mtv/ for memes. This is indisputably correct.
>>
>>68801512
Actually I agree with that.
>>
>>68801090
>Retro (pre-1975? pre-2000?)

The last thing we need is a board autistic like /vg/ that throw a shitfit as soon as you post a game one year outside the arbitrary definition
>>
>>68801527
Because the folks naming the boards likely don't give a fuck about your moronic terminological distinctions disregarded by anyone in the industry or field of study.
>>
it should remain as one board you idiots
>>
>>68801558
this

it's probably named film & movies because the board is about the film industry and movies themselves

can't believe morons on here actually take the film/movie/kino meme seriously
>>
>>68801557
Well, you could always do what I think /vr/ should've done from the beginning, and just make it "anything not made in the last X years", rather than giving it an unchanging time cut-off.
>>
>>68801558
I don't believe in the terminologies but people here unironically do and that gives the impression other shit is allowed. I am just stating that if it were truly a "artistic" board then they would conform to the autistic anons and call it "Film" or something.
>>
>>68801587
>>68801558
The film/movie/kino bullshit better be left behind on /tv/ with baneposting and Landis.
>>
>>68801613
I see where you're coming from, but I'd rather not encourage the children. My own opinion, though, others may disagree.

>>68801576
This is, of course, another possible option.
>>
File: oy bey.jpg (36 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
oy bey.jpg
36 KB, 852x480
>>68801532
HE's right (You) know

RNH SMASH THAT MF LIKE THO
>>
Should have just made a /blb/ - Blockbuster films and event series.

All /got/, capeshit and Star Wars would be directed there.
>>
>>68801323
>No, not at all;

autist
>>
>>68801532
Besides the rest of your retarded post, /tvg/ for tv generals doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
>>
>>68801689
You're right. Researches have known for some time now that there is no more obvious sign of autism than the dreaded semicolon.
>>
File: misseditbythatmuch.jpg (42 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
misseditbythatmuch.jpg
42 KB, 600x423
>>68801725
>Researches
>>
>>68801323
The point is this is stupid autistic shit that doesn't need to be said.
>>
>>68801090
Movies made before 1453 is a must. Also english movies not allowed, bonus points if the movie you're watching has no subs and you don't understand a single thing.

(am patrician)
>>
>>68801512
Agreed.
>>
File: 6uoZzfU.jpg (54 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
6uoZzfU.jpg
54 KB, 540x960
>new board was created as a direct result of hundreds of requests asking for a separate place to discuss films and not the latest blockbuster superhero movie
>capeshit fags are actually upset about this because fewer people will see their latest meme
>resort to arguing "well its technically a film because it's a moving picture with sound so Ant-Man discussion and laughing Chris Evans gifs can go on both boards!" despite the entire intention of the new board was to have a board free of capeshit and star wars shitposters

Guys, I'm really sorry you're fucking latest OC will have 20% less viewers I really am.
>>
>>68801796
This is a third world ESL and its attempt at humor.
>>
>>68801773
You say that, but no official parameters have actually be provided to us.

For example. check out >>68801799.
That poster is just as certain as you over how "obvious" the new rules will be, but arguing something entirely different.
There's nothing wrong with gathering some information and discerning what posters actually want from the new board.
And again, I've offered no personal opinions on what I want from it, just monitoring the discussion.
>>
All your parameters are fucking terrible
the only rule should be >>68801117 and actual film discussion, no celebrity discussions, no waifu discussions
film memes are allowed but shouldn't run rampant
>>
>>68801865
So there should be no film board, then?
>>
>>68801894
are you an autist?
>>
>>68801927
No. You said
>All your parameters are fucking terrible
but the final suggestion was >Everything - a simple split of film and television

I don't see how you can call that terrible - it seems to go hand-in-hand with what you're arguing.
>>
>>68801846
you sound like a pleb, try watching some older movies
>>
WHAT THE FUCK IS TAKING THEM SO LONG TO GET THE BOARD ONLINE ALREADY
>>
>>68801853
>Film and Movies
>Hurrrr what can we discuss there?!
>>
>>68801976
This was a third world ESL's attempt at an insult, but since it doesn't know how to speak the language it just comes off something weaker than 1st grader's hymen.
>>
>>68802020
Understood, but as it stands, the /film/ board is yet to be listed (and has been down for nearly three hours), while the /tv/ board is still currently entitled Television & Film.

Nothing is set in stone yet, is my point. As it currently stands, both boards are for "film", and no rules have been set for the new board, which isn't even available.
>>
>>68801958
oh yeah, sorry anon
that is the one parameter that is actually good, and really the only thing that should be enforced in /film/ is no shitposting, aka 50 threads a day about symbolism in BvS and "is there anything this woman can't do" and the like
>>
>>68802020
you're an incredible troll or a retard. all boards have rules outside their titles
>>
>>68802111
No worries. I agree, but the BvS point would be relatively moot if you get your way, as it'd be relegated to capeshit generals anyway.
>>
>>68802121
I'm assuming he's one of the newfags who posts spoilers and doesn't realise he's breaking rules.
>>
>>68801090
/film/ won't solve anything
In fact it will make things worse

we needed a /cape/ board. That's it.
>>
>>68802020
See >>68801799
>>
>>68802121
>>68802172
>>68802200
Please don't feed the animals.
>>
>>68801090
It doesn't matter, make the board all movies inclusive and set the parameters later

It'll work itself out through trail and error

Bye bye spandex
>>
>>68802264
The way capeshit was worked out of /tv/ through trial and error?
>>
>>68801090
>>Everything - a simple split of film and television
this
>>
/tv/ - what it used to be

/film/ - non-genre films
>>
>>68801117
There should also be a young adult general, a arthouse general, a western general and a everything else general. All should be stickies. Make it happen Hiro!!
>>
File: solomon_kane.jpg (928 KB, 886x1183) Image search: [Google]
solomon_kane.jpg
928 KB, 886x1183
>>68801090
>>Everything - a simple split of film and television

Don't overcomplicate things that don't need to be.

>Capeshit, Star Wars General

Generals are the worst. Just make a rule that only a handful of each can exist at one time and to use the fucking catalog/search function.
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/qa/509947
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.