[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tv/ vs /film/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: tv vs film.jpg (30 KB, 864x432) Image search: [Google]
tv vs film.jpg
30 KB, 864x432
Memes aside, what are our desired parameters for /film/?

Some examples (not necessarily my own suggestions)
>Retro (pre-1975? pre-2000?)
>Nothing made in Hollywood
>No sequels/prequels
>Nothing based on other intellectual property (nothing based on novels, comics, video-games, television series, etc.) i.e. wholly original films
>Nothing that made over $200mil at the worldwide box office
>Everything - a simple split of film and television

What are your own thoughts and suggestions?
>>
Star Wars and Capeshit must be contained to their respective generals.
>>
>>509948
This would be really good.
>>
>>509947
that one. just have a film board and a tv board. tv gets stuck with doctor who and star trek generals, film gets stuck with disney.
>>
>>509948
Agreed - though this should and could easily be a rule right here on /tv/. The fact that it's never been enforced is mind-boggling.
>>
>>509947
If it's a film or movie it goes on /film/

Not really that hard to understand.
>>
>>509948
this or you can just keep posting your console war stuff here. I don't really care.
>>
>>509947

This one. But put actual mods/jannies to contain capeshit, disneyshit and star wars to generals.
>>
File: 1340842968726.jpg (46 KB, 600x385) Image search: [Google]
1340842968726.jpg
46 KB, 600x385
>>509952
>but muh """"art house""""
>but muh films with artistic merit!!!
>>
the split is going to be
>/tv/ - Television
>/film/ - Movies and Film
and not
/tv/ - Television and movies
/film/ - Film
meaning that /film/ is going to be every bit as pleb as /tv/ was
enjoy your star wars and capeshit
>>
>>509952
Well, yes. That's why I had
up in the OP. It's a perfectly legitimate and easy way to split the boards.

But it's not the only way. You also deal with possible overlap when we talk about franchises like the MCU where they have both television and film in the same universe. Is Daredevil forbidden on /film/, even when we discuss the MCU? Are the Star Trek films forbidden on /tv/ when we discuss the series?
Or do we take a /co/ approach, where films/tv are allowed to be discussed on the opposing board, but only where they are relevant to the discussion?
>>
>>509948
That is the best solution. Move capeshit and stuff to /film/ but keep in a general.
>>
>>509956
if you don't show up it'll be less pleb
>>
File: 1445241004238.jpg (37 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
1445241004238.jpg
37 KB, 600x580
>>509955
>not having a sincere appreciation or understanding of film as a medium
>still visiting /tv/
>>
>>509956
Is this confirmed?
>>
>>509957
> where films/tv are allowed to be discussed on the opposing board, but only where they are relevant to the discussion?
Yes. Are you really this stupid that you need someone to hold your hand and explain this shit to you?
>>
It will have everything count as film.
>>
>>509947
>>No sequels/prequels
>>Nothing based on other intellectual property (nothing based on novels, comics, video-games, television series, etc.) i.e. wholly original films
if i had my way it would be this one. no remakes, no reboots, just original stories.
>>
>>509964
Then that will make for a slow fucking board with very little to talk about.
>>
>>509962
No, not at all; I just explained it myself. And I explained the opposing viewpoints.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
>>
>>509965
I'd rather a slow board than a cancerous board. See: neo-/tv/
>>
>>509965
That's not necessarily true, plenty of films are based on original IP.
And not even necessarily classic films. Even Avatar would fall under that definition (though we could all have a bitch about how the word "original" applies here).
It would rule out all capeshit, all Star Wars sequels, all vidyashit, but the works of most auteurs would be fairly safe, I think.
>>
>>509967
True but a lot of older films that are great then can't be post due to being remakes
>>
>>509965
>the only things there is to talk about are reboots and remakes
>>
it should be:

/tv/
/stm/ (streaming television)
/film/
/mov/
/kino/
/flix/
/ads/
>>
>all these redditors mad that their le epic bane threads will receive half the attention now
based haruhi suzumiya
>>
This is what should happen

/tv/ - Television and Internet Media
/film/ - Film & Movies
>>
>>509969
there would be some sacrifices but i think on the whole it would be better
>>
>>509968
This is kind of a good point but what if for instance I wanted to start a thread about the Before Trilogy?
>>
>>509972
But /tv/ will keep making bane threads
>>
>>509968
>>509964
that's the most idiotic thing i've ever heard
so if i want to talk about Orson Welle's Othello I would have to go to a separate board than the board to talk about Citizen Kane?
>>
So /film/ automatically becomes slow then?
>>
>>509973
or maybe
Television and Video to include Youtube shit. either name would do
>>
>>509972
>tfw when reddit calls others reddit

D-do I fit in yet guys?
>>
>>509975
>>509977
Well, I mean, this is why this discussion is good.
Perhaps sequels are okay, but remakes are not. But then we have Star Wars prequels and Terminator Genisys back on there. It will never be perfect, it's about finding where most of us are okay.

This is why I listed so many options in the OP. I haven't offered a personal opinion at all, just going through the possibilities.
>>
>>509973
>>509979
/ser/ - series
/film/ - films

Then you'd have web-series, miniseries, stream-exclusive series and television series on one board, with films (theatrically-released, straight-to-video and straight-to-television) all on the other.
>>
>>509981
The most likely possibility that is gonna happen is everything film is allowed and capeshit is kept in generals. Why then have a board called "Films & Movies" if you won't allow certain movies. You should then just call it "Films"
>>
File: 1456212038233.jpg (37 KB, 413x536) Image search: [Google]
1456212038233.jpg
37 KB, 413x536
The actual solution is to make /wd/ for Disney shillcore like Star Wars and capeshit along with a worksafe /cel/ for e-celeb YouTube shit..

Optional boards include /tvg/ for /tv/ generals and /mtv/ for memes. This is indisputably correct.
>>
>>509982
Actually I agree with that.
>>
>>509947

The last thing we need is a board autistic like /vg/ that throw a shitfit as soon as you post a game one year outside the arbitrary definition
>>
>>509983
Because the folks naming the boards likely don't give a fuck about your moronic terminological distinctions disregarded by anyone in the industry or field of study.
>>
it should remain as one board you idiots
>>
>>509987
this

it's probably named film & movies because the board is about the film industry and movies themselves

can't believe morons on here actually take the film/movie/kino meme seriously
>>
>>509986
Well, you could always do what I think /vr/ should've done from the beginning, and just make it "anything not made in the last X years", rather than giving it an unchanging time cut-off.
>>
>>509987
I don't believe in the terminologies but people here unironically do and that gives the impression other shit is allowed. I am just stating that if it were truly a "artistic" board then they would conform to the autistic anons and call it "Film" or something.
>>
>>509989
>>509987
The film/movie/kino bullshit better be left behind on /tv/ with baneposting and Landis.
>>
>>509991
I see where you're coming from, but I'd rather not encourage the children. My own opinion, though, others may disagree.

>>509988
This is, of course, another possible option.
>>
File: oy bey.jpg (36 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
oy bey.jpg
36 KB, 852x480
>>509984
HE's right (You) know

RNH SMASH THAT MF LIKE THO
>>
Should have just made a /blb/ - Blockbuster films and event series.

All /got/, capeshit and Star Wars would be directed there.
>>
>>509966
>No, not at all;

autist
>>
>>509984
Besides the rest of your retarded post, /tvg/ for tv generals doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
>>
>>509996
You're right. Researches have known for some time now that there is no more obvious sign of autism than the dreaded semicolon.
>>
File: misseditbythatmuch.jpg (42 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
misseditbythatmuch.jpg
42 KB, 600x423
>>509998
>Researches
>>
>>509966
The point is this is stupid autistic shit that doesn't need to be said.
>>
>>509947
Movies made before 1453 is a must. Also english movies not allowed, bonus points if the movie you're watching has no subs and you don't understand a single thing.

(am patrician)
>>
>>509982
Agreed.
>>
>>510001
This is a third world ESL and its attempt at humor.
>>
>>510000
You say that, but no official parameters have actually be provided to us.

For example. check out >>510003.
That poster is just as certain as you over how "obvious" the new rules will be, but arguing something entirely different.
There's nothing wrong with gathering some information and discerning what posters actually want from the new board.
And again, I've offered no personal opinions on what I want from it, just monitoring the discussion.
>>
All your parameters are fucking terrible
the only rule should be >>509948 and actual film discussion, no celebrity discussions, no waifu discussions
film memes are allowed but shouldn't run rampant
>>
>>510006
So there should be no film board, then?
>>
>>510007
are you an autist?
>>
>>510008
No. You said
>All your parameters are fucking terrible
but the final suggestion was >Everything - a simple split of film and television

I don't see how you can call that terrible - it seems to go hand-in-hand with what you're arguing.
>>
>>510004
you sound like a pleb, try watching some older movies
>>
WHAT THE FUCK IS TAKING THEM SO LONG TO GET THE BOARD ONLINE ALREADY
>>
>>510005
>Film and Movies
>Hurrrr what can we discuss there?!
>>
>>510010
This was a third world ESL's attempt at an insult, but since it doesn't know how to speak the language it just comes off something weaker than 1st grader's hymen.
>>
>>510012
Understood, but as it stands, the /film/ board is yet to be listed (and has been down for nearly three hours), while the /tv/ board is still currently entitled Television & Film.

Nothing is set in stone yet, is my point. As it currently stands, both boards are for "film", and no rules have been set for the new board, which isn't even available.
>>
>>510009
oh yeah, sorry anon
that is the one parameter that is actually good, and really the only thing that should be enforced in /film/ is no shitposting, aka 50 threads a day about symbolism in BvS and "is there anything this woman can't do" and the like
>>
>>510012
you're an incredible troll or a retard. all boards have rules outside their titles
>>
>>510015
No worries. I agree, but the BvS point would be relatively moot if you get your way, as it'd be relegated to capeshit generals anyway.
>>
>>510016
I'm assuming he's one of the newfags who posts spoilers and doesn't realise he's breaking rules.
>>
>>509947
/film/ won't solve anything
In fact it will make things worse

we needed a /cape/ board. That's it.
>>
>>510016
>>510018
>>510020
Please don't feed the animals.
>>
>>509947
It doesn't matter, make the board all movies inclusive and set the parameters later

It'll work itself out through trail and error

Bye bye spandex
>>
>>510022
The way capeshit was worked out of /tv/ through trial and error?
>>
>>509947
>>Everything - a simple split of film and television
this
>>
/tv/ - what it used to be

/film/ - non-genre films
>>
>>509948
There should also be a young adult general, a arthouse general, a western general and a everything else general. All should be stickies. Make it happen Hiro!!
>>
File: solomon_kane.jpg (928 KB, 886x1183) Image search: [Google]
solomon_kane.jpg
928 KB, 886x1183
>>509947
>>Everything - a simple split of film and television

Don't overcomplicate things that don't need to be.

>Capeshit, Star Wars General

Generals are the worst. Just make a rule that only a handful of each can exist at one time and to use the fucking catalog/search function.
>>
include everything but keep capeshit to generals
>>
>>510027
what is bad about generals? they keep the cancer in a thread
>>
>>510034
except you are the cancer
>>
>>510040
no
>>
There is no good reason for /film/ to exist. /cel/ on the other hand
>>
WE WANT CEL
>>
the only problem is /film/ will have shit mods/janis like /tv/
>>
>>510043
back to >>>/film/
a containment board where you should stay
>>
>>509995
>everything I don't like should be on another board
Just hide the threads
>>
>>510040
so you want capeshit threads cluttering the board then
>>
>>509947
Do we really need a new board just because some people don't like to see threads about popular things pop-up? This is fucking stupid
>>
>>510055
We need a new board because the board is nothing but popular things and memes.
>>
/film/ - Discuss movies
/tv/ - Discuss television

How is this so fucking hard?
>>
>>510034
They coddle people who want to complain and act as a lazy attempt to moderate. Bandage on a dam.
>>
>>509948
Rule that bans all generals from the board sounds better.
>>
>>510059
Cause people don't want popular stuff in their precious board. This place whines like fucking babies I swear
>>
>WAHHHHHHH WE DON'T WANT THE CAPESHIT IN OUR BOARD WAHHHH
god you all sound like fucking annoying whiny childern. you asked for a film board and now you got it. you get to take the fucking cancer capeshit.
>>
>>510050
Dude it's 6 movies a year and they are all super popular. Lots of people want to discuss those. Unlike your Werner Herzog kino nobody cares about. What good would a general for 25% of the content on /tv/ be? You would nee a new one every 3 minutes. Don't be a dick here. Popular things get discussed on /tv/. I would agree for there to be rules on /film/ to prevent it from being flooded with the same threads. /film/ can work as a cape free zone. We can make it happen so your blood pressure stays in check.
>>
>>510059
Because separating film from television is only one of several reasons people have been lobbying for the new board.
>>
>>510076
In what way can you make /film/ cape free?
>>
>>510081
how about you read >>509947 and contribute to the discussion?

i think this rule makes a lot of sense. Make /film/ like /vr/. You'll still get some trolls posting Batman 1989 threads but i think you can handle those.
>>
>>510087
Then you should then rename it Retro Films or something instead of Films and Movies, and you would then have to structure /tv/ to be modern films and television. That seems more like a clusterfuck. Why not just make it /lit/ type? It would benefit.
>>
>>510087
I agree, but with the small alteration of forbidding anything from the last 25 years instead of giving it an arbitrary date.
That way, each year, we can discuss films from the year that just opened up to us.

Like for the rest of 2016 anything before 1991 is cool, and then the next year we can start discussing 1992 films as well.
>>
>>510094
>>510094
>and you would then have to structure /tv/ to be modern films and television.
You can still discuss retro video games on /v/.
>>
Splitting the boards into just television and just movies is missing the point completely, that's not what people have been asking for.

/film/ was supposed to be a board for serious film discussion
>>
>>509947
I don't care as long as they stay out videogames. Nothing worse than a videogame trying to be a good movie and failing horrible at both. Sony is a very popular plattform for those popcorn games.
>>
>>510100
exactly this

Also, what if someone wants to have a serious discussion about a film relegated to generals?
>>
Just make it an Film board. Anything that is blockbuster film is allowed on /tv/ only. That way you don't restrict what can be discussed
>>
>>510080
You mean 2 shitpoisters samefagged hard on /qa/ and hiro the idiot actually listen to that instead of FIXING HIS FUCKING MODERATION.
>>
>>510100
It does offer a partial solution, though.
Cutting television entirely from the board prevents threads discussing serious films from falling out of the catalogue too quickly.
>>
>>510100
>serious film discussion
Is this a joke? Anyone with half a brain knows this is never going to happen. In addition to it missing the point of the site.

READ THIS POST IT IS VERY HELPFUL

IF YOU WANT SERIOUS DISCUSSION ON 4CHAN ASK FOR A FUCKING TEXT BOARD.

READ THIS POST IT IS VERY HELPFUL
>>
>>510110
this

Its not that fucking hard
>>
>>510110
a rule can not be enforced like this because your elitism isn't clear on what's film and what is a blockbuster. If you go by budget or box office though it might be easier for newfriends to understand.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/truefilm
>>
>>510112
No it doesn't, the problem with /tv/ is shitposting and memes and those come just as much from superhero movies as tv shows.
>>510116
>I only browse /b/, /v/ and /tv/
Okay, /lit/ has plenty of serious discussion about literature, nothing is stopping /film/ from being the same.
>>
>>510122
>>510110
Right, which is why one of the suggestions in the OP is to take box office figures into account.

>>510126
>No it doesn't, the problem with /tv/ is shitposting and memes and those come just as much from superhero movies as tv shows.
...Yes, but that'd then reduce the shitposting by 50%, would it not? Leaving more room for the serious discussion you desire.
>>
>>510126
/film/ is /tv/ you fucking idiot.
>>
>>510122
>>>510110 (You)
>a rule can not be enforced like this because your elitism isn't clear on what's film and what is a blockbuster.
That is literally the whole fucking problem with making this film board cause it entitles elitism.
>>
>>510130
>...Yes, but that'd then reduce the shitposting by 50%, would it not? Leaving more room for the serious discussion you desire.
Again, that won't fix anything the board would be just the same because anyone who isn't a /b/ shitposter would immediately steer away from all of it.
>>510135
>/film/ is /tv/ you fucking idiot.
what
>>
>>510136
so make it retro. Films and TV at least 25 years old seems about right. Pretty easy rule.
>>
>>510136
This

/film/ needs to either go full on accepting or full on just art films. Anything trying to go in between will be a clusterfuck
>>
>>510146
So then what about other great films that are made after that time? They get the shit end of the stick and head to /tv/?
>>
>>510146
I could get onboard with this.

>>510145
I'm not saying it would fix anything, I said it offers a partial solution because obviously removing any content from a board allows more breathing room for the remaining content. That's all.
>>
>>510151
I think capeshit and star wars are great films. Why should I be forced to discuss them with /tv/?
>>
Just fucking make it a simple split between tv and film for fuck sake.

You guys are over complicating things. It will just end up like /lit/ anyways cause people will treat it like an art board.
>>
>>510159
Sure, but what we are trying to do here is actually take advantage of a rare opportunity to fix the problem.
>>
>>510146
shit idea. limits discuss.
>>
>>510151
Obviously there are upsides and downsides to all possible solutions.
The goal is to remove as much of the shit as possible while retaining as much of the good.

As movies, on average, are getting shittier and shittier, adding a chronological barrier is one possible solution. Many others have also been suggested.

>>510168
I'm aware of what we're discussing; I started the thread. I'm also refraining from offering too many personal opinions, just debating the merits and faults of each possible solution.
>>
>>510151
>>510146
>>510169
Just make it go by the imdb vote count, anything below 100k votes is okay, that cuts out all the capeshit completely and allows even the most mainstream arthouse titles.
>>
>>510176
This sounds somewhat reasonable but part of me is revolted by a board determining its content by IMDb status.
>>
fucking hell, include everything but make capeshit generals a must.

That way all films can be discussed. Fucking christ you guys make everything so difficult
>>
>>510179
see >>510076
>>
>>510179
>wanting cancer generals
>>
>>510176
>>510178
The box-office figures suggestion might work better here. Anything under 200mil worldwide, for example.

>>510179
generals have been suggested a few times.
>>509948
>>509954
>>509958
>>510031
I don't think we're making it difficult; we're just discussing the best course of action. The alternative is just to listen to the first guy who says "fucking christ you guys make everything so difficult" and do whatever he says.
>>
>>510189
>>510186
>trying to limit the amount of films discuss
I wanna be able to discuss whatever films I want no matter what era it comes from as lomg as stupid blockbuster shit is not allowed on the board.
>>
>>510192
budget would be good but a lot of capeshit is under 200m and that will then be allowed.

i like the retro idea but it then bothers me cause it'll just end up being the same shit over and over and the board becomes stale within a few weeks.

Make a /lit/ style board.
>>
All you honestly have to do is clearly state that the board isn't intended for mainstream films and add (imdb count above x for older films, box office above x for newer ones) in smaller text, that's literally it.
>>
>>510200
But then what is deemed "mainstream"
That will start elitism
>>
>>510201
Figures inside the ( ) define what is mainstream.
>>
>>510201
Bro, he just gave you two separate ways for measuring how mainstream a film is.

>>510200
See >>510178
>>
Black and white films only
>>
>>510202
>>510203
The imbd is probably one the better ways to do that.
>>
>>510203
Hold your autism, problem solved.
>>
I HATE YOU ALL
>>
there needs to be memes
>>
>>510194
you're crying a lot. I don't mind good films. I mind the elitists they draw in. Watching film is not a profession. It's the laziest hobby one can have. Being so vocal about your petty opinions is rather pitiful. It seems like all you want is keep insulting people on tv, not fix the problem. Your problem.
>>
>>510209
>Watching film is not a profession.
It is for some of us. I agree with the rest of your post, though.
>>
>>510209
I mind it too but and don't mind good films either but if I want to discuss some film I really like but can't cause of some stupid elitist "only films from x to x" then I most likely have to go to /tv/ and that isn't gonna end well cause that is what got us to want /film/ in the first place.

>>510200
is probably the better way to determine how the rules are set.
>>
>>510209
You should definitely support a secession of non-mainstream films away from /tv/ then, then you will get to avoid people insulting your low brow taste ever again.
>>
>>510209
and your enabling elitism with the limting of years a film needs to be released
>>
>>510220
Different poster, but I disagree. The elitism is more fed by nonsense, by arbitrary definitions over what is or isn't art, or by pushing a stigma against certain genres, countries or filmmakers.

Assigning a year-set isn't elitism, it's nothing at all but a practical way of ruling out newer films.

Not advocating it, not condemning it, just disagreeing with your definition is all.
>>
JUST MAKE IT A FUCKING CLONE TO /lit/ FOR FUCK SAKES GOD.
>>
>wanting /film/ to be retro
>literally wanting /film/ to be /vr/
Dear god
>>
>>510223
Not him. I like the idea but hate it too cause then the films I love that are newer that never got discussed on /tv/ can't be discussed on /film/
>>
>>509947
>/tv/
Capeshit
nu-Star Wars, the OT is fine on /film/
TV shows
Memes
Anime that gets shitposted on /a/ too much to discuss.
Disneyshit in general
Celebrities/E-celebs

>Topics allowed on /film/
Patrician TV, Sopranos, Mad Men, etc.
European/Japanese animated film
Pretty much everything else
>>
>>510232
Okay, so how would you outline accessible parameters?
Or do you want a comprehensive list to be made of all /film/-approved subjects?
>>
>>510224
this
>>
>>510232
thats retarded
>>
so would nolan and Spielberg be allowed?
>>
>>510232
>1978's Superman is forbidden but the Pokemon films are okay
Can we not make this a thing, please?
>>
>>510245
Don't worry, mods never listen to stupid shit like that.
>>
>>510245
>>510232
Yeah, that's retarded.
>>
>>510244
yes
>>
>>510245
Okay fine
>Japanese/European animated film(No OVAs or movies already in an established franchise)
>>
so you guys basically want /tv/ to be /v/ and /film/ be /vr/ and outing any lesser know newer films from both boards.

such a great plan!
>>
>>510245
Hiro isn't going to read this thread anyway, it is just going to be exactly as it is named. This thread is mostly pointless. Instead of arguing about retarded arbitrary restrictions about stupid taste, hope that it is something like /m/ instead. The retarded patrician taste board isn't going to happen, but, if you want something close to that, either wish for a text board or something like /m/.

In-fact, the only way /film/ isn't going to be retarded as fuck is it being something like /m/. Why the fuck would you split a board right into 2? It's retarded and makes no sense. There will never be a time were that makes anything better.
>>
File: 1379845387142.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1379845387142.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
Just fucking accept all films and call it a day. You guys are just trying to put an elitist agenda and it comes off as arbitrary, fucking stupid.
>>
>>509948
this and only this

eveything else is blatant elitism and faggotry
>>
>>510266
>any film based on a comic should be lumped into one thread
>anything else would be elitism
hmm.
>>
>the board is up
Fucking lel
Pleb aidz on suicide watch
>>
>>510232

The OFFICIAL /film/ patrician opinions list. They cannot be argued against or else you expose yourself as a full pleb.

Let us begin:

- Plot is for babies; it is a visual medium, to be used as so
- Star Wars is for 5 year olds
- Stanley Kubrick is a slight step above pleb but nowhere near patrician
- Genre films are trash and are to be treated as such
- Christopher Nolan is pleb tier director; none of his work reaches film status and often time delves into flick tier
- European Cinema is objectively better than other any cinema
- Women cannot truly enjoy a film properly
- Book adaptations are pleb trash fit for only the unoriginal
- Steven Spielberg is intro to pleb tier; no argument can be made against this
- Animation is for children; kill yourself if you enjoy any of the sort and you are older than 10
- CGI is below pleb tier and is automatic filth
- Dialog is for babbies; it is a visual medium, to be used as so
- Naturalism is best style; everything else is commercial shit that are dated before they even leave the editing room. The first film that will be shown to patrician extraterrestrials will be from the realism school
- All television is trash
- Remakes and sequels are cancer; no exceptions
>>
File: 1456982718601.jpg (372 KB, 545x1399) Image search: [Google]
1456982718601.jpg
372 KB, 545x1399
>>509987
>disregarded by anyone in the industry or field of study.

“A movie is made for an audience and a film is made for both the audience and the filmmakers. I think that The Game is a movie and I think Fight Club‘s a film. I think that Fight Club is more than the sum of its parts, whereas Panic Room is the sum of its parts. I didn’t look at Panic Room and think: Wow, this is gonna set the world on fire. These are footnote movies, guilty pleasure movies. Thrillers. Woman-trapped-in-a-house movies. They’re not particularly important.” - David Fincher

"My film is not a movie. My film is not about Vietnam. It is Vietnam. It's what it was really like. It was crazy. We were in the jungle, there were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane." — Francis Ford Coppola

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film#Terminology_used
>By contrast, in the US "movie" is the predominant form. Although the words "film" and "movie" are sometimes used interchangeably, "film" is more often used when considering artistic, theoretical, or technical aspects, as studies in a university class and "movies" more often refers to entertainment or commercial aspects, as where to go for fun on a date. For example, a book titled "How to Read a Film" would be about the aesthetics or theory of film, while "Lets Go to the Movies" would be about the history of entertaining movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsp05iSk7s

movies are about economics.
cinema is about esthetics.
film is about politics.
-"How To Read A Film" by James Monaco

Also the separation is recognized in these texts
Bresson's Notes on the Cinematographer
Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time
Delleuze's Cinema I&II
>>
>>509947
>Memes aside, what are our desired parameters for /film/?
Rangeban anyone who previously posted on /tv/ from posting on /film/

Only possible solution to keep it from being absolute grabage dump of half baked memes and idiotic flamewars
>>
>>510274
please save the shitposting for tv
>>
/cun/ when?
>>
>>510274
This should be a sticky.
>>
>TELEVISION & HOLLYWOOD
>FILM
>>
>>510326
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>510326
If not this, there will be no point
>>
>>510200
>>510201
see >>510326
>>
>>510267
it would
>>
>>510326

Good idea.
>>
>>510223

Most of the elitism isn't real, but philistine wrecking, eg. the 'cinema/kino/flick' bullshit.
>>
OBJECTIVELY CORRECT OPINION INCOMING

THE DISTINCITON NEEDS TO BE MADE BETWEEN THE TWO TYPES OF POSTERS:
>POSTERS WHO WANT TO DISCUSS FILM AND MOVIES
>POSTERS WHO HOP ON FRANCHISE AND BLOCKBUSTER BANDWAGONS

THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE THIS DISTINCTION IN DISCUSSION OBJECTIVELY IS TO SET A TIME DIFFERENCE FOR MOVIE RELEASES

/TV/ TELEVISION AND MOVIES MADE IN THE LAST 10 YEARS

/FILM/ - FILM AND MOVIES MADE BEFORE 10 YEARS AGO
>>
Should just make a /cape/ board that also includes every series or flick owned or made by Disney
>>
>>509947
>Nothing made in Hollywood

so no discussion on Hitchcock, Kubrick, Wells, etc?
>>
>>510475
OP probably doesn't know what "Hollywood" means. Thank god he won't be deciding the parameters.
>>
This was a fucking dumb idea
>>
>>509947
I WILL BE ACTIVELY TRYING TO TURN YOUR NEW NERD BOARD INTO A SHITFEST

nerds REALLY believe they got /film/ to talk about ''''''''kino''''''''' and ''''''''''cinema''''''''''', and not every kind of movie
>>
>>510511
I WILL HELP SHIT UP THE NEW BOARD
>>
>actually wanting /tv/ to become television only
If this happens I'm never coming back here. /tv/ is one of my favorite boards, this would fucking worsen discussion. All I want is a side board for cinema and films that aren't capeshit and popular blockbuster shit.
>>
>>510478
>Thank god he won't be deciding the parameters.
Not if Hiro shifts into MAXIMUM RETARD MODE
>>
>>510515
You really think Hiro would give any weight to some random anon when everyone else in the thread is telling him what an idiot he is?
>>
>splitting up the boards further
AAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHH STOP DOING THIS SHIT

The only people who want /film/ are incoming plebbitors who want to talk about Pulp Fiction and Fight Club. And we all know both will get shitposted to death

If anything just force all the capeshit to go to /co/
>>
>>509948
>promoting generals
Your normalfag board is fucking cancer and hiro expanding the board will only invite more cancer.

Fuck this.
>>
>>510521
Fuck off, I've been here 11 years and if you can't tell /tv/ is overcrowded then you're blind in addition to already being retarded. New boards get created because there is a NEED for them. Some of us are happy about it and we aren't from reddit. Get the fuck over it.
>>
>>509967
You make out like /tv/ isn't a cancerous lowest common denominator medium to begin with.
>>
>>510525
but adding more boards is copying reddit. /film/ is basically r/truefilm
>>
>>510437
That's not a bad idea actually, mister CAPS LOCK

However that won't fix shit because /tv/ userbase is second only to /v/ in mental retardation severity, and guess who's gonna populate this new pointless board? That's right, fa/tv/irgins.
>>
>>510525
Tell that to /d/ and /aco/

Adding more and more boards just clogs up the board list and creates slower less populated boards.

There's really no reason to split up /tv/. Both television and film have most of the same elements.
>>
>>510536
Yeah, I know you're salty about /d/, but that's a completely different situation.

>Both television and film have most of the same elements.

...Also, you don't actually watch TV or movies, do you?
>>
File: 1323060233787.jpg (108 KB, 615x1279) Image search: [Google]
1323060233787.jpg
108 KB, 615x1279
Holy shit this is the most retarded move I've ever seen. What the fuck are the admins doing? The problem was never film or TV. It was fucking capeshit and Star Wars. Nobody wanted movies to be moved altogether. 4chan must be run by fucking monkeys.
>>
>>510126
>Okay, /lit/ has plenty of serious discussion about literature, nothing is stopping /film/ from being the same.
That's because retards don't read books.
>>
>>510211
>It is for some of us
No, it's not.
>>
>>510537
I'm just pointing out an observation from all the salt on /qa/ from /d/ and /aco/.
>...Also, you don't actually watch TV or movies, do you?
>actors in both tv and film, writers, storylines, visual medium of entertainment, character development, garbage for the lowest common denominator, producers, scandals, etc.

It literally makes no sense to split the board. It's shit, it's worse than shit, we know that, but splitting it up won't help it.
>>
>>510529
>but adding more boards is copying reddit
http://www2.2ch.net/2ch.html
You are this fucking stupid.
>>
>>510544
And retards don't watch arthouse films either.
>>
>>510552
Yes, they do. They are extremely popular among teenage hipster trash.
Any medium you can smoke a bowl and enjoy while eating doritos is going to be flooded by retards.

Fuck off and die, normalfag.
>>
>>510550
he is right though. More boards just dilutes discussion more and more
>>
>>510553
>Any medium you can smoke a bowl and enjoy while eating doritos
That's pretty much everything
>>
>>510550
Yeah let's look at 4x2chan and look at all the big active boards

Oh wait
>>
>>510553
>Any medium you can smoke a bowl and enjoy
Oh, so you are some pleb who hasn't even seen an arthouse film in his life, okay.
>>
>>510553
>Any medium you can smoke a bowl and enjoy while eating doritos is going to be flooded by retards.
That is literally anything then.
congrats, you just pointed out why /film/ is gomna fuck suck now
>>
>>510558
>>510565
No it's not.
>congrats, you just pointed out why /film/ is gomna fuck suck now
No shit, retard. /tv/ should never have been made because all it did was attract normalscum.

>>510560
>Yeah let's look at 4x2chan and look at all the big active boards
You fucking moron.
Hiroyuki used to OWN and RUN 2ちゃんねる Have a fucking look at it and all the boards it has. He is slowly doing the same thing he did there. How fucking new are you? Kill yourself, cunt.

>>510562
Piss off teenager.
>>
>>510568
>No it's not.
Yeah it will based on your comment
>>congrats, you just pointed out why /film/ is gomna fuck suck now
>No shit, retard. /tv/ should never have been made because all it did was attract normalscum.
Which is why it will make /film/ shit cause it'll be filled with /mu/ tier hipster normalfags who watched some popular arthouse film and think they the best. That is gonna follow you guys.
>>
>>510568
Epic input, stick to your basement.
>>
why can't we have both a board for serious discussion like /film/ and a board to funpost like /tv/?
>>
>>510568
Well I hope you'll be proud of yourself when both boards hit the shitter and you defended the leadup to it.
>>
It honestly doesn't mater what board gets the shitpost because one will become patrician due to shitposting moving to one board
>>
>>510581
because this site is full of strong independent black women that don't need no man and you cannot tell them what to do
>>
File: 1387151705899.jpg (143 KB, 1248x886) Image search: [Google]
1387151705899.jpg
143 KB, 1248x886
>>509947
>board was only up for a few hours
>first page of archive is BBC
http://archive.4plebs.org/film/
>>
>>509978
>plebs beleive patrician /film/ will be slow
Either adapt or enjoy being a pleb for the rest of your days.
>>
>>510031
Reminder that their should be separate generals because DCucks and Marvel fags will start flinging shit at eachother unless they're separated like the children they are
>>
>people thinking you can separate boards based on quality
Will literally never work.

I think a date cut-off could work, that would prevent the flood of threads about new releases which is what most people complain about. 5 or 10 years would be good.

Also, Film AND Movies? I think Hiro has been taking /tv/ memes too seriously.
>>
It's simple you dumb fucks.
>/film/
>discuss films and movies
If you're so autistic about capeshit make /dc/ and /mvl/ generals.
It was easy to do on /mu/ with /kpop/ general, so it won't be a problem with /film/.
>>
>>510618
fucking this
plus you can filter so it won't show up either
>>
>>510605
Imageboards were a mistake.
>>
>>510618
Why even make /film/ just be strict about generals.

Generals for certain franchises is an excellent idea, MCU, new DC series, and Star Wars come to mind.
>>
>>509947
/film/ is a horrible idea. /tv/ is fine as is. It's a fun board, there is no need for a /film/ board.

With a /film/ board, 1 of 2 things will happen:
> It will turn into a film version of /lit/
> people will use it for a few weeks and then it will die
>>
>>510633
>Generals for certain franchises is an excellent idea
No it's not. Generals don't belong on 4chan.
Fuck off.
>>
>>510636
> It will turn into a film version of /lit/
>implying cinemafags can read
There is a reason why they are sitting back, passively watching the silver screen instead of reading books, anon.
>>
>>510640
not him so they will be a film version of /mu/ then
>>
>>510640
A film version of /lit/ is a bad thing. /lit/ is a horrible board just like /film/ would be.
>>
The dream is over lads. /film/ is gone now.
>>
>>510644
/lit/ and /mu/ are identical.
>>
>>510647
>/lit/ is a horrible board
No it's not.
They actually discuss things they read.
>>
File: first film dubs.png (185 KB, 1792x680) Image search: [Google]
first film dubs.png
185 KB, 1792x680
So is this really over? Just checked and it's 404.
R.I.P. /film/, you had a good run.
>>
>>510657
That's why it's horrible for people who don't read.
>>
>>510655
>/lit/ and /mu/ are identical
No they aren't.
Stop talking about shit you have no experience with, newfriend.

>>510660
So it fucking well should be. You don't go to a board about literature without being a reader. That's like going to /a/ without watching anime or reading manga; going to /v/ without playing video games; or going to /tv/ without appreciating BBC.
>>
>>510657
> /mu/ isn't a horrible board, they just discuss music

Anon, please. Stop pretending /lit/ is a place to have good discussions about literature. You know that's not true.
>>
>>510664
> /mu/ isn't a horrible board, they just discuss music
They fuck does that have to do with /lit/.
>Stop pretending /lit/ is a place to have good discussions about literature.
It is, there is no need to pretend anything.
>You know that's not true.
Fuck off newfag.
Stop talking about board you don't go on.
>>
File: PISA Results.png (311 KB, 3390x1763) Image search: [Google]
PISA Results.png
311 KB, 3390x1763
>>510660
But I want to jump into boards that have no general purpose ):

Pic related
>>
>>510660
> literally every response to criticism of /lit/
>>
>>510666
You're an idiot. Fuck off to your pretentious fag board.
>>
>>510669
What's /qa/'s pisa score?
>>
>>510557
Which is a good thing when /tv/ is objectively overcrowded

It's a board for discussing 3-4 different topics yet 80% of the userbase only wants to discuss 1 topic; it also happens to be the shittiest topic
>>
>>510633
/tv/ is too big a bored to have guidelines like generals. That's why it's a good idea to split the community so that it is easier to moderate.

>>510639
Where have you been for the last 10 years?
>>
>>509947
There is no actual cinema discussion outside the letterboxd general

/tv/ is just one big shitfest, /film/ is bassically going to be capeshit plus celebrity threads and currently trendy shit like Star Wars
>>
>>510326
this
>>
>/pleb/
and
>/patrish/
>>
>>510326
THIS

HIRO DO IT
>>
GUYS, IT'S FUCKING GONE

Fastest board death ever.
>>
It's gone forever now you faggots. Happy now?
>>510654
>>510684
>>
I think /film/ is a good idea, but why not make /tvg/ I could see that work.
>>
>>510702
very happy
>>
WE WON
>>
>>510709
The only generals on /tv/ are /got/ and /who/
Wow, let's make a whole board for two threads
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.