[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: ac-tv.jpg (441 KB, 1500x1210) Image search: [Google]
ac-tv.jpg
441 KB, 1500x1210
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

atypical campaigns edition

What sorts of out of left field campaigns or sessions have you been a part of?
>>
>>46715823
>>46715904
That's true, but I think the difference between a monk that does rogue like things is the monk uses rigorous teachings passed down through generations of thief monks to regulate their ki energy.

Rogues are just sort of doing things based on natural talent and possibly lots of practice and independent experimentation.
>>
Posted this late in the last thread:

I'm playing a human paladin of Lathander, and I want to go into warlock for the extra spell slots and abilities.

What in the realms works narratively as a patron, and what level should I dip into warlock at?
>>
>>46715903
My next campaign will be in Equestria.
>>
>>46716009
Wait until level 5 or 6 of paladin, I'd say. And just make up some kind of archfey that you suddenly fell in love with, or pick one from the samples in the phb
>>
>>46716009
If you DM allows it, the Unearthed Arcana patron Undying Light seems perfect.
>>
>>46716009
What's your current oath?
>>
>>46716009
Bit of confusion here but don't you only get your warlock slots back after a short rest or all of them. If you get them all back then why doesn't every caster take a dip into lock.
>>
Rolled 3, 15, 6, 4, 1, 2 = 31 (6d20)

I'mma be a human fighter because I'm a boring person.
>>
>>46716144
Currently level 2.

>>46716111
I don't recall this, link?
>>
>>46716249
Crossbow or die for you.
>>
File: UA Light, Dark, Underdark!.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA Light, Dark, Underdark!.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46716223
Only warlock slots, because warlocks don't actually have the Spellcasting feature.
>>46716253
What oath do you plan on taking? And here's Undying Light.
>>
>>46716223
You just get your warlock slots back. You can still burn your warlock slots for smites, though.
>>
>>46716249
STR- 15
DEX- 4
CON- 6
INT- 3
WIS- 1
CHA- 2
>>
>>46716253
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf
>>
File: samurai ape men.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
samurai ape men.pdf
1 B, 486x500
So, made a homebrew for my group, figured I'd share it here. They're a race we've had in our D&D settings for awhile now, so I figured with that kick ass homebrew editor I'd whip something up.

Feel free to critique/shit on, I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with it right now anyway.
>>
What can I pitch to my DM to let Moon Druids improve after level 10?

Does anyone have balanced stats for Huge Elementals and Elder Elementals? (for, say, levels 15 and 20 respectively).
>>
>>46716289
Looks that way.

>>46716312
>Assigning stats

What a pleb lmao
>>
>>46716369
>trying to make moon druid EVEN MORE broken
fuck off
>>
>>46716390

>be level 20 Druid
>can shapechange into a CR 5 Fire Elemental

>be level 20 wizard
>true polymorph into a brass dragon

Yeah druids are broken.
>>
>>46716445
>be level 20 wizard/bard/arcana cleric
>wish
>win
>>
>>46716445
It is rather silly that wizards can completely replicate and surpass the druid's class feature.

WotC is full of little oversights like that with wizards. if you include UA for instance, wizards are better demon summoners than warlocks.
>>
>>46716445
>level 20 wizard
>loses concentration
>depolymorphs from dragon

>level 20 druid
>gets ass kicked as fire elemental
>changes into a mammoth
>gets ass kick as mammoth
>does it again, for the rest of eternity

Like I said.
>>
>>46716445
And besides that, Druids can cast shapechange as well, so besides being wrong you're also retarded.
>>
>>46716510
>not reading spell descriptions
Once the concentration on true polymorph ends, it becomes permanent.
>>
>>46716510
>be wizard
>true polymorph into dragon for an hour
>never have to be a human again.
>>
>>46716494
>be level 20 wizard/bard/arcana cleric
>wish
>you are now a sentient, impotent gas
>>
>>46716562

>becoming impotent

I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.
>>
File: Wizard_PHB5e.jpg (584 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Wizard_PHB5e.jpg
584 KB, 1000x2000
Memes aside, Wizards really are the strongest class in the game, right?
>>
>>46716665
Ever since bladesinger was released, yes. Before, I would have put bards as most OP.
>>
>>46716510
>level 20 wizard
>loses concentration
>depolymorphs from dragon

you can bypass this with simulacrum (basically you make the simulacrum carry the concentration rather than you) - although granted it has a price tag attached, but it's a small price considering you become a CR 20 creature worth a whole party PLUS having a level 20 wizard pet on standby that still has most of their spells avaliable.
>>
>>46716728
Wish>simulacrum and there's no price. 1 action too.
>>
>>46716665
Not really. Most utility spells are nerfed to the point of uselessness, a lot of combat spells aren't particularly great against solo targets. A level 20 bladesinger will still get whacked faster against a Marilith than almost any other class besides another wizard subtype.

Simulacrum/Wish combos rely entirely on having a spanked DM who will allow 3.5-grade overly literal readings of the rules.
>>
>>46716689
Blade singers add a little breadth, but not as much as every kind of bard has, and breadth usually isn't as important as how well you do your best thing. A blade singer who is walking up to cast GFB, or one who's dumb enough to just hit things with swords, is not doing as much as they could be doing by casting ranged spells.
>>
>>46716445
>level 20 Druid
>Shapechange into Brass Dragon
>Die
>Shapechange into Earth Elemental
>Die
>Repeat
>Die
>Repeat
>>
>>46716445
>>46716508
>>46716552
>>46716554
Holy shit, when did /tg/ become overrun with illiterate niggers?

1) Wizards have A SINGLE 9th level spell. Druids have unlimited wild shapes at 20th level. Not necessarily broken per se, but the wild shape ability is definitely stronger.

2) More importantly YOU CAN'T CAST TRUE POLYMORPH ON YOURSELF.

The text for the spell says:
>Choose one creature or nonmagical object that you can see within range.
Notice that this does not explicitly include yourself. In fact, there's a spell that both wizards and druids have that allows them to do this called shapechange. Why would they include this spell if True Polymorph could be cast on yourself.

Now maybe your DM is a little bitch and lets you get away with this kind of shit. More power too you. But if you actually go by what the rules say, then you shouldn't be able to pull the shit you guys are talking about.

tl;dr- retards trying to be rules lawyers.
>>
>>46716552
>Not reading spell descriptions

IF YOU CONCENTRATE ON IT FOR THE FULL DURATION
>>
>>46716743
won't work if you want your simulacrum to use true polymorph, since it eats up your 9th level slot, and by extension the 9th level slot of the simulacrum.

in every other situation that is a great trick though. once a wizard has wish, they have no excuse for not having a simulacrum at all times, which basically doubles their number of spell slots in one stroke, doubles their access to the action economy, doubles the number of concentration spells they can use at one time, etc.
>>
>>46716865
>I'm not a creature I can see within range
lel
>>
>>46716865
Rules lawyers always end up resorting to borderline cheating when they don't get their way with overly generous interpretations of the rules.
>>
>>46716865
>Choose one creature or nonmagical object that you can see within range.
>look down to my feet
>i can't see them
>realize i'm actually playing skyrim without mods.
>wake up from the nightmare
>>
File: 1390092205327.jpg (23 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
1390092205327.jpg
23 KB, 569x428
>>46716329
Fluff is neat, though personally it seems odd to call Koji a samurai (I know he is, but that's more of a real world thing, you know?).

I'm intrigued by the Primal Rage feature, but the way you wrote it there leaves a lot of situations uncovered that could affect it.

Also this is poorly phrased.
>Most kojians tend towards lawful alignments as a result of their regimented upbringing, with non-lawful kojians being an extreme minority. They don't tend toward any particular alignment.
>>
File: 1424726989671.png (204 KB, 406x422) Image search: [Google]
1424726989671.png
204 KB, 406x422
>>46716865
"lf a spell targets a creature of your choice, you can choose yourself, unless the creature must be hostile or specifically a creature other than you. lf you are in the area of effect of a spell you cast, you can target yourself." PHB 204

Get fucked normies.
>>
>>46716865
>2) More importantly YOU CAN'T CAST TRUE POLYMORPH ON YOURSELF.

There's a lot of spells that don't specify yourself as a target that can be used against you. Cure Wounds says you touch a creature, it doesn't say you can touch yourself. Neither does Death Ward, Nondetection, Aid, Antipathy/Sympathy, Bless, etc
>>
>>46716295
Considering Oath of the Crown, but I'm not sure. It looks worse than my other options.
>>
>>46716936

>Fluff is neat
Thank you.

>though personally it seems odd to call Koji a samurai
Not sure who Koji is, the god they worship is Kojo, which was a character from a 3.5 campaign I played in. I actually did cover that part in the last little note on the last page.

And yeah, I'll fix that little bit of fluff. Went through and cleared up a lot of the shitty wording but must've missed that one.

Also, I would appreciate it if you could tell me some situations that Primal Rage doesn't cover. I want to make sure it's worded as clearly as possible.
>>
>>46716952
>You polymorph into dragon
>gain the statistics, etc. of dragon
> lose access to true polymorph spell
>can't maintain concentration
>don't transform into dragon after all
>waste a spell slot
Get fucked faggot
>>
>>46716996
>>46716952
>>46716899
>>46716896
>>46716891
>Feeding trolls
>Responding to bait
>2016
I could have sworn we all knew better by now.
>>
>>46717107
>implying
>>
>>46717099
>can't maintain concentration
You don't have to be able to cast a spell to continue concentrating on it. PHB 203. :^)
>>
>>46717107
>iwasjustpretending.jpg
>>
>>46717046
Yes, I meant Kojo.

You should state that you lose concentration on spells. What happens if someone tries to heal you while you're raging? What if you can't attack anything? You just stand there for a few seconds and then pass out?

Also, just out of curiosity, why only 20ft climb speed? That's only 5ft more than normal.
>>
>>46717151
I'm not the idiot who posted that bullshit, I'm just tired of /5eg/ devolving into yes no arguments about shit like this. He's either a troll or genuinely too stupid to comprehend the rules in the PHB, we have no reason to respond to him.
>>
> Kojo became a minor deity on God Street.
> The divine realm is a complete 1950s suburbia with white picket fences and Studebakers where the gods have petty arguments over tuna casseroles and who's lawn is greener.

Can you tell me how to get, how to get to myself to God Street?
>>
>>46717138
>doesn't actually say that :^)
>>
File: 5881861191_90de8b5bc9_z.jpg (71 KB, 489x349) Image search: [Google]
5881861191_90de8b5bc9_z.jpg
71 KB, 489x349
>>46717179
>Pot
>Kettle
>?????
>Profit
>>
>>46717138

Oh shit! Two for two on BTFO'ing the wannabe rules lawyer!

Brb level 16 wizard can retire from human life as whatever creature he wants to!
>>
>>46716508
>wizards are better demon summoners than warlocks.
Of course they are. Fiendlocks bargained with a demon for power, not for service.

Binding even an Imp to your beck and call is more than you deserve, mortal.
>>
>>46716952
>playing 5e
>calling other people normies
Pick one
>>
>>46717227
I'd expect a level 20 warlock to not be on the same level as a fiend, but certainly be able to command some of its minions beyond an Imp.
>>
>>46717227
>ritual-bound nerds thinking their rote bullshit qualifies as deep understanding of the laws of the universe.
>>
>>46717160

>Yes, I meant Kojo.
Oh. Well, the character was a samurai. That was his class, with the bushido code and all that shit. His character used to start duels with people all the time over the smallest slight, and he was always super concerned about honor. So I just applied that logic to the whole race.

>You should state that you lose concentration on spells. What happens if someone tries to heal you while you're raging? What if you can't attack anything? You just stand there for a few seconds and then pass out?

Good points. Will fix.

>Also, just out of curiosity, why only 20ft climb speed? That's only 5ft more than normal.

I was going to do 15, because I thought 30 would be too good, but I thought that wouldn't be enough so I just put it at 10 under normal speed. But I guess thinking about it it doesn't really need to be lower, and this is a fucking ape man, so I'll bump it up to a full 30.
>>
>>46717251
>I'd expect a level 20 warlock to not be on the same level as a fiend

the DMG talks about level 20 warlocks potentially becoming patrons in their own right, so it's not far off.
>>
I'm trying my hand at homebrewing a warlock patron option. Plane of earth flavor.

As a 1st level option ,giving the warlock a similar feature to draconic bloodline seems kind of useless right?
The feature basicly gives free mage armor(ac=13+dex mod) but warlocks already sort of get this through the armor of shadows invocation.
It would free up an invocation, allowing you to pick another one but that makes it sound kind of weak.

What if I give it an extra effect on top of the increased ac, such as giving an enemy disadvantage once per short rest?
>>
>>46717160
>Also, just out of curiosity, why only 20ft climb speed? That's only 5ft more than normal.
But now you can climb 20 feet and still walk 10 more feet.
>>
File: proof.png (572 KB, 780x406) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
572 KB, 780x406
>>46717194
>lists what ends concentration
>not being able to cast the spell isn't on it
How does being wrong feel?
>>
>>46717273
I get that he was a samurai. It just seems odd to call him such. Samurai aren't a big part of the common D&D landscape, are they? I dunno... maybe I'm just being fussy.

Good stuff in general though. I'm going to have to steal it.
>>
>>46717290
Why are warlocks so damn sexy a class? I wish wotc had made them less useful as a dip and more useful in their own right.
>>
>>46716012
I want to know more.

Probably just use a pastebin.
>>
>>46717323
You could do that anyway. I don't see your point.
>>
>>46717378
You couldn't do that anyway. If you don't have a climbing speed, you spend double movement to climb.

With 30 feet of movement and no climbing speed, you could climb 10 feet and then walk 10 feet, climb 5 feet and walk 20 feet, or climb 15 feet and not walk.
>>
>>46717356
I feel like the should have more non-caster features; they feel like they should be an arcane 1/2 caster, and in a lot of ways they're close to it with their very snowflake magic system.
>>
>>46717324
>normal activity, such as walking or attacking, doesn't interfere with concentration
Turning into a dragon is not normal activity.

Also:
>The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by the nature of its new form, and it can’t speak, cast spells, or take any other action that requires hands or speech unless its new form is capable of such actions.

Dragons (variant rules aside) can't cast spells, so you're still wrong.

You've been wrong on every single point that's been made so far. Why are you still arguing about this?
>>
>>46717365
>>>/mlp/27085247
I'm not the OP of that thread, but the 5efag in it. I converted over several of the m6 and have a general 5e conversion.
https://mega.nz/#F!vEQxULoD!DiMweD4NUwiJQXcM__z5Pg
>>
File: kojian ape men v2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
kojian ape men v2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46717337

Ah, okay, I get ya. Yeah, it was a homebrew setting. Samurai and ninjas and shit were just as common as knights and the like. Stupid, but fun.

And go ahead and steal it, it makes me happy knowing someone's using it.
>>
>>46717321
level 1 patron features are generally very powerful.

Archfey gives you an AoE fear/charm every short rest, Fiend gives you temporary hitpoints on killing something, and GOO gives you telepathy (which is pretty useful depending on your DM). All of these see more impressive than just giving you a bonus to AC.

I'd recommend scrapping that, and trying to get something more defining.
>>
>>46717432
Nowhere does it say you have to be able cast spells to maintain concentration on them.
Would you lose invisibility if you went into a silence spell?
And since it doesn't explicitly say turning into a dragon breaks concentration, doing so doesn't.
>>
>>46717432
Also, Wildshape specifically specifies that you can still concentrate on spells, while Polymorph does not.
>>
>>46717430
My solution would be to introduce more gamechanging invocations at higher levels.
>>
>>46717423
I meant if you had a 30ft climb speed. But I see your point.
>>
>>46717321
Who would the Pact be with? The list of very powerful Earth Elementals is fairly short, and they tend to be fluffed as taking a dim view of sharing their power.

I'd probably build features around suppressing the abilities of targets, but that's just me.
>>
>>46717489
It's irrelevant anyways.

Simulacrum can concentrate on spells for you. But for what it's worth, I do think that you can concentrate on a true polymorph you're casting on yourself, so long as the form you've taken is capable of concentrating on a spell.
>>
File: url.jpg (8 KB, 254x198) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
8 KB, 254x198
>>46717437
>>
>>46717547
Ah, I see. Sorry.

I'm not the brewer, but that sounds like possible subrace fodder to me.
>>
>>46717439
Much better.
>>
>>46717479
No, because you are still capable of casting that spell. You're just maintaining concentration on it.

If you change into a piglet, then you're incapable of concentrating on casting the spell, because you can't cast a spell.

True Polymorph LITERALLY TRANSFORMS YOU into whatever it changes into. Your intelligence changes, your capabilities change. >>46717586 has it right. If your new form is capable of casting the spell then you can continue. A bronze dragon is not capable of casting True Polymorph, so it's irrelevant.

Here's the bottom line. If you want to transform into something, use Shapechange; that's what the spell is actually for.

If you want to transform someone else, use true polymorph. That's what the spell is actually for.

But stop with this munchkin bullshit. I wouldn't let you pull this at my table, and I haven't seen anything out of your camp that would change my mind.
>>
>>46717564
I'm no expert and I might scrap the whole idea entirely and look for something else but I liked the idea of a warlock pact involving one of the elemental planes.

I was thinking about having a powerful Dao be the patron but looking into it it might just not fit, they seem more intent on full on enslaving people instead of granting them power and using them that way

>>46717455
It does pale in comparison with the others considering every warlock gets the option for good ac through at will mage armor. I'll think about something else if I don't toss the entire thing.
>>
>>46717437
Thanks m8.
>>
>>46717705
Stick with the earth thing: I'd give you an ability on a short rest that turns everything into around you into difficult terrain (maybe a damage thing).

Actually that sounds like something I might shamelessly use for a homebrew I'm working on myself.
>>
>>46717687
Shapechange doesn't say you can concentrate on a spell while you're in that form. And you can't have a form with the Spellcasting trait in any way. So therefore you cast Shapechange and immediately revert because the spell doesn't say you can concentrate on spells in the different form.

Stop being a munchkin :^).
>>
>>46717586
>Simulacrum can concentrate on spells for you
Where is this? I don't see this in the book
>>
>>46717705
Genies in general are pretty power-jealous, but your best bet would be a Djinn if you were fixed on keeping it genie-flavored.

There are other powerful entities on the inner planes, they're just not covered in depth in the core books. Go pull PotA from the Mega and see what you can get out of that. A Medusa warlock could be a lot of fun.
>>
>>46717760
How am I the munchkin here?
>>
>>46717763
The Similacrum can cast spells, therefore it can concentrate on spells.
>>
>>46717763
he means the simulacrum casts the spell in the first place, so the concentration is with them
>>
>>46717597
>leddit memes

You are worse than the fucking ponyfags
>>
>>46717800
Because you're trying to abuse Shapechange by doing something that the spell doesn't explicitly say you can do. All the spell does is change your form, not let you concentrate on a spell while your form is changed.

Again: stop being such a munchkin and trying to abuse spells :^).
>>
>>46717825
It's a meme? I just thought it was a stickman with a useful message.
>>
>>46717687
That's not what Shapechange is for. Shapechange is for being able to use all of your wonderful class features while transformed, as well as changing up your form on the fly. True Polymorph gives an hour of just being a dragon or a giant, or a beholder. Shapechange gives an hour of being a dragon wizard, and a giant wizard, and a beholder wizard.

Both Shapechange and True Polymorph can affect the caster without interrupting concentration. Shapechange is better for the caster because it is both more powerful and more flexible.
>>
>>46717597
>badwrongfun
If that group wants to play a game as ponies, why do you care?
>>
File: 1389557612372.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
1389557612372.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>46718147
>>
>>46717834
>You retain the benefits of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new from is physically capable of doing so.

vs.

>The target's game statistics, including mental ability scores are replaced by the statistics of the new form.

Get fucked m8o
>>
>>46718176
>I don't like thing
>No one else can like thing
I think you might be That Guy.
>>
File: 1395777062910.gif (3 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1395777062910.gif
3 MB, 480x320
>>46718258
Wasting your time, friend.
>>
File: dQd.jpg (47 KB, 321x386) Image search: [Google]
dQd.jpg
47 KB, 321x386
>>46718147
it's a bad case of pic related
>>
File: witchhomebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
witchhomebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Okay, I think I've almost finalized this. Most of the changes that I foresee are just formatting and fluffing the new familiars. Are there any glaring balance issues you guys foresee?
>>
>>46718545
Surely pact of blood should be two willing creatures
>>
>>46718623
Yep, you're correct. There was a period I was considering making it work on any two creatures, but that's too good imo. It's changed now, thanks!
>>
>>46717726
Glad to help. I'll do the other 4.
>>
Trying to decide whether to play a War or Tempest domain Cleric in my next game, can people who have played one or both chime in on pros and cons? I'll probably roll a dwarf (hill or mountain) or variant human.
>>
>>46719186
Played both, enjoyed both. Tempest has maybe a bit more staying power in that he can hit back against enemies that hit him, but War's the better fighter of the two overall.
>>
My character is grappled by a large creature. The large creature is standing in a square with wall of flame in it, but my character isn't. I don't successfully get out of the grapple, so the DM rules that wall of flame procs on the large creature when *I* end my turn.

This seems incorrect to me. Shouldn't it only proc when the creature ends its turn, not when I do?
>>
An odd request for /5eg/, but I'm going to be rolling a bard in a friend's campaign soon that specializes in acting, storytelling and rumor-mongering. Anyone know of any inspirational reading/comics/shows that would spark a bit of inspiration for how to act out this character?
>>
>>46719347
Wall of Fire, not Wall of Flame, sorry.
>>
I'm creating a CR 11 scaling of the scarecrow. I'm trying to think of a way for it to walk the line of demon powers and a pseud-lich-like manner.

Any thoughts for neat abilities / stat spread?
>>
>>46719393
why
>>
>>46719393
Ability drain is always a nasty and fun ability.
>>
Rolled 11, 4, 5, 19, 14, 8 = 61 (6d20)

Patrician stat rolls = 6(d12+d4)
>>
>>46719393
give it an ability similar to feylock's dark delirium:
>As an action, the Scarecrow chooses a creature that it can see within 120 feet. The creature must make a Charisma saving throw (17 DC). On a failed save, it is frightened by the Scarecrow for 1 minute or until the Scarecrow's concentration is broken (as if it was concentrating on a spell). This effect ends early if the creature takes any damage other than from the illusion.
>Until this illusion ends, the creature thinks it is lost in a dark, misty cornfield that stretches to all points of the horizon. Inside the illusion, the Scarecrow looks like a Huge, fiery version of itself to the creature, and the creatures' allies take on the appearance of other Scarecrows. The creature takes 2d6 psychic damage each turn it ends inside the illusion.
can only affect one creature at a time due to concentration
>>
>>46717859
>Not knowing rage face memes
Underageb&?
>>
>>46719957
>the creature thinks it is lost in a dark, misty cornfield that stretches to all points of the horizon. Inside the illusion, the Scarecrow looks like a Huge, fiery version of itself to the creature, and the creatures' allies take on the appearance of other Scarecrows
Oh, fucking A.
>>
witch guy here. Next project is a demon/fiend blooded sorcerer. The theme of this sorcerer will be a theme common in a lot of homebrews I've seen so far: transformation. I'm hoping to capture the beta sorc. As this archetype uses sorcery points, it will gain bonuses to melee combat based on its bloodline resurfacing, and transforming its physical appearance.

So for example, one of the benefits could be the creature gaining 10 movespeed as it feet become cloven hooves, once the creature is missing 3 sorcery points. etc.

Suggestions?
>>
>>46720500
Disadvantage on checks to avoid being knocked prone due to skinny little hooves?
>>
>>46720500
Not your design blog. Don't build hype if you've nothing to show.
>>
>>46720590
lel
>>
>>46720669
I'm not asking for hype, I'm asking for ideas.

You sad your janitor application got rejected mr. board police?
>>
>>46720500
>>46720590
>I've got little devil horns and a little goatee,
>Little devil eyes to help a little devil see,
>Little cloven hooves that make it kind of hard to ski,
>I'm Satan....
>>
>>46718545
Looks cool, and not with a cursory glance at least... What program did you use to print from naturalcrit to pdf? I can't seem to get the background or pages to stay when I print
>>
>>46719957
>I maek hombroo
>It SPOOKY hombroo
>Tell me how maek hombroo?

>>46720739
>BAWWWW
>>
File: 1402679505609.jpg (26 KB, 276x366) Image search: [Google]
1402679505609.jpg
26 KB, 276x366
>>46720795
>>
>>46720766

Use Chrome Canary. When you save it to PDF, make sure you have "Background graphics" checked, it's easy to find.

Made that same mistake first time I saved the ape man homebrew I posted earlier in the thread. After I did that it turned out great.
>>
>>46720669
>>46720795
sounds like anon is having a bad day
>>
>animated rug grabs someone and throws itself into a firepit

FUCK
>>
File: zTJ8aJT[1].jpg (86 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
zTJ8aJT[1].jpg
86 KB, 500x628
>>46720766
Yeah, I couldn't get it to print with background images either, until a friendly anon told me about the "print background images" option in chrome. Just print to pdf and choose that box in one of the advanced options.

>>46720795
Hey anon, I have difficulty telling sometimes. Are you legitimately mad, or just pretending to be mad to "ruse" me? This is very important, because the hilarious "memetic" image I use in response to your posts changes. Please inform me within the hour.

Attached is my proposed response.
>>
Is there some kind of calculator somewhere to determine character weight? Something where you can input shit like height, gender, race, build, or Str and Con scores, and it would give you an approximation? A couple of characters I play have unusual builds, and I was wanting to have some sort of an idea of how to weigh them.
>>
>>46720874
>>46720919
> Double-tap troll feeding
>>
>>46720944
>>46720874
>>
>>46720925
>unusual builds
Like what?
>>
my group is going to start playing curse of strahd tomorrow, the character i have planned is a half-orc twohand fighter.

the problem is that i at first wanted to do a "dungeon meshi" type character, where he cooks beasts after he has killed them, searching for his magnum opus in terms of beast recipes
however, i don't think that's going to fit the setting, the tone or even be possible for large chunks of time. anyone that has played strahd that can confirm?

what are some good character concepts that WOULD fit (don't worry about "you should play your chef if that's what you want, i can put him on the back-burner for now)
>>
>>46720989
You can try it, but be ready to get buttfucked by undead while you're in your kitchen.
>>
>>46720966
Like, a 7 foot tall but kinda skinny minotaur war cleric who relies on Gauntlets of Ogre Power to be able to wear his plate and hit things; stuff like that.
>>
>>46720989
Literally anyone who could be reasonably expected to be fearful, or at least apprehensive, when shoved into creepy circumstances outside of those he's familiar with.
>>
>>46721006
Shadowmonk 6, Warlock 14 that relies on the darkness spell, teleportation, and that one invocation that lets the warlock see through darkness to force push people around endlessly.
>>
File: The Sage.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Sage.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46720900
>>46720919
Thanks to both of you, the anon in an earlier thread who pointed me to naturalcrit, and the anon who gave me feedback on the name: I now present for your viewing pleasure(and critique hopefully if you have the time) The Sage
>>
>>46721203
>class features
>as an eradicator
>>
>>46721203
> As an Eradicator
You fucked up.
>>
>>46721203
> Con save proficiency
> Choose your other Saving Throw Proficiency based on your Projecting Ability
Might as well just give them Con and Wis and save everyone the trouble. But no, that would be retarded...
>>
>>46721203
Fuck, what a mess.

First: >>46721239 >>46721264

Then:
>> True Focus/Focus Points
Pick a name. Also, that fucking feature description: 4 paragraphs long, and I've read it twice and still don't know what the fuck it says.
> Equal to your projection ability+your maximum power level
Score or Modifier? Any minimum we should be aware of? Any indication we should refer back to the table to know what our "Power Level" is?
Fuck, man, just give them half-caster progression and the Spell Points mechanic from the DMG. Oh, wait, you don't have the DMG, because:
>> Overflowing Vitality
> Whenever you take a short or long rest and you and your allies regain an additional hit die of hit points
You don't use your Hit Die to recover on a Long Rest. You'd know this if you read the book.
> Temporary Hit Points that do not stack with other temporary hit points.
THP already doesn't stack, ever. You'd know this if you read the book.

I stopped there. We haven't broken level 2 yet and I've already lost hope. 11/10.
>>
>>46721203
Anon, it seems like kind of a complicated mess. Also, that image has a chrome bat connected to either a battery or a walkman with a setting innapropriate hairstyle.
>>
File: archfey_Princess_Merin.jpg (9 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
archfey_Princess_Merin.jpg
9 KB, 500x324
My DM wants me to give her some suggestions on what kind of missions my Archfey patron would want to send me on. The whole gimmick is that my patron is a relatively young (for a fey) princess who is enamored with stories of heroes (essential a fanfic author using me as a character puppet). What kind of tasks should she send me on? Pic related, cuz I also envision her to be a stereotypical fujoshi.
>>
>>46721615
She wants you to rescue the prince who was kidnapped by the dragon.
>>
>>46721593
He posted a couple of threads ago, said it was for an '80s exploitation setting.

He called it "The Eradicator" back then. I wouldn't have made the connection if not for goof-up noted in >>46721239 >>46721264.

It really feels like he read Snow Crash, did a bunch of coke, and then wrote a class.
>>
File: Aarakocra.png (64 KB, 250x213) Image search: [Google]
Aarakocra.png
64 KB, 250x213
I often hear people complaining about aarakocras' flight being too strong, especially as monks. Is there a good way to balance races with flight? What about tieflings' winged variant in SCAG, which isn't faster than walking but also doesn't omit armor? Should at-will winged flight just not be an option for players without, say, a magic item or high level dragon sorcerers?
>>
>>46721683
it's fine just don't be a shit DM
>>
>>46721683
>Should at-will winged flight just not be an option for players without, say, a magic item or high level dragon sorcerers?
That appears to be the prevailing opinion, but I haven't had issues managing it as a DM.

Anything the players can do is something the players are subject to the consequences of. The DM's job is to ensure the challenges scale with the PCs' capabilities, and the DM can't claim to have not seen it coming when the characters get Flight from level 1.
>>
>>46721239
>>46721264
I fixed it! I never made a mistake in my life... especially one on the internet that I can't delete.
>>46721306
The Projecting Ability limits what spells you can replicate, I'll show you the lists based on the chosen attribute:
Intelligence: Wizard
But your main ability modifier is what you use to research spells, so as I understand it you should on average have a higher number of spells replicable available to you than either of the other options.(If I'm wrong then I will try to think of a way to implement this in the class)
Wisdom: Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger
Better save and the most number of spell lists, but many of the best spells require concentration, heal, or deal damage which costs more maneuver points and are limited to 4th level at maximum.
Charisma: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock
This one is actually the best in my opinion for spells replicable, but you get a much less useful save in return.
>>
>>46721683
I'm running a group with an aaracokra on it. So far it has been fine, only difference being that his flight speed is 30ft before reaching level 5.

Then again, he's playing as a Life Cleric, so aside from the ability bump to wisdom, there's not a lot of sinergy there.
>>
>>46716249
Godspeed you dead bastard.
>>
>>46716249
1 wisdom seems fun to roleplay.
>>
>>46721203

>apply finesse to any weapon
>which means I could apply sneak attack to any weapon
>which means I could sneak attack with a greatsword
>all while gaining a damage bonus of a die roll doubled
>and then also getting a free, no action attack if I killed something
>and having the fighting style on top of that for rerolls of 1s and 2s
>and I make difficult terrain any time I swing my sword

Jesus fucking Christ man, this shit is ridiculous
>>
>>46716295
Fucking Christ, is there a reason that Searing Vengeance would be balanced? It's an auto fuck you, I'm healed, and you're fireballed button when you go down.
>>
>>46721857
You're not sapient at that point.
>>
>>46721939
The automatic blind seems nastier than the damage.
>>
>>46721762
>But your main ability modifier is what you use to research spells
...Huh? You mean prepare? There's zero mention of Spell List Preparation in your PDF, and while you're correct that your Spellcasting Ability Mod is part of what determines the number of spells that you can prepare, a Level 3 Druid with WisMod 5 and a Level 3 Wizard with IntMod 5 could both prepare 8 Spells. There's no inherent advantage to having one stat be your SCA over another beyond what else that ability can be used for.

Did you even look at the book before putting this together?
>>
>>46721942
What is a 20 int, 1 wis character like?

What is a 1 int, 20 wis character like?
>>
>>46722015
For this weird blaxploitation homebrew class, the "projecting" ability determines your choice of spells. if you chose INT for instance, you can only choose wizard spells. CHA, bard, warlock, and sorc. WIS: druid, cleric, etc.
>>
>>46722070
I got that far.

I'm wondering what the fuck he means by
>Intelligence: Wizard
>But your main ability modifier is what you use to research spells, so as I understand it you should on average have a higher number of spells replicable available to you than either of the other options.(If I'm wrong then I will try to think of a way to implement this in the class)

My bad for not quoting it in the reply.
>>
>>46722094
Maybe he's talking about spell availability generally? If you pick charisma, you get 3 spell lists to pick from, including those spell lists exclusive spells. Compare that to int, which only offers you the wizard spell list.

I don't really know though. That homebrew gives me headaches.
>>
>>46722126
Oh, I've got a throbbing fucking migraine trying to divine meaning from that pile, but I think he's saying the opposite, which boils down to "If you choose intelligence, you only get one list, but you can replicate more powers at a time because Intelligence is the strongest casting stat."

Which it isn't. It's fine, but not best.
>>
>>46722017
1 int, 20 wis is an animal with good senses.

20 int, 1 wis is a very rudimentary AI with a lot of information to provide.
>>
File: smug whatever the fuck.png (112 KB, 232x262) Image search: [Google]
smug whatever the fuck.png
112 KB, 232x262
>running Death House for a group of newbies
>they detect magic in the statue room, discern there's some necromancy shit going on so avoid it
>get all the way to the altar room
>suddenly the rogue, upon hearing that the cult spirits want them to kill something for them, runs all the way back to the statue room and grabs the orb
>instantly gangraped by shadows and dies

(the rest of the party managed to barely survive fighting Lorghoth with the wizard dropping once and the paladin dropping like three separate times in that fight alone)
>>
>>46721203

Digging through this some more I just keep finding shit. Like the ability "Quickened Rest" which makes all rests go by 2 hours quicker. Notice it says "all rests" which would include the 1 hour short rest. So, what, you get rested an hour before the rest actually starts? That'll make those extra hit die for resting so much more useful!

Then the capstone mentions "warrior's focus" which isn't an ability. And the level 10 archery style mentions "soldiers vitality dice," whatever the hell those are.

Oh, and lots and lots of fuck yous to action economy. We've got a few "get an extra reaction for opportunity attacks," there's an extra action free great weapon attack if you kill something, and there's at least one "ready an action without spending an action" so that's all well and good.

Oh, and lots of multiplication all throughout the whole thing, which just, just no. 5e don't swing that way.

In the Dueling path you can get advantage just by spending a bonus action, because you switched what hand you were using the weapon with.

And then there's Protection, which lets you break your True Focus to move 10 feet as a "bonus reaction."

Man, diving into this shit deeper is giving me a headache.
>>
>>46722471
At this point I'm desperately holding out hope that this is an extremely elaborate hoax meant to point out just what brand of horror the homebrew community is capable of making.
>>
>>46722512

Good god I hope so. Though I will say, as horrific as the class may be, I do find it incredibly entertaining. I keep looking through it more to find all the flaws. It's like looking at a train wreck and trying to pick out all the mangled bodies.
>>
>>46721615
Challenge a notorious local bandit you were going to deal with anyway to a duel, you and your "knights" (the party) against his. Also, if you could retrieve the pendant his mother gave him he's always wearing...? Hard mode: it is, of course, mildly cursed. Perhaps the bandit has a colorful and somewhat embarrassing name, and the pendant is the source.

One of her most trusted advisors and closest friends has gone missing; by this she means the mouse you've often seen caged in her boudoir (you know, the one you visit). She needs you to interrogate any cats you encounter as to her whereabouts, but doesn't need you to go out of your way or work within a timetable. Just keep it in mind. Fey mode: there was no indication whether or not this mouse was sentient. It seemed like an unusually calm but otherwise normal mouse.

There's a small village the party will come to beset by monthly werewolf sightings. So far only sheep have been killed, and there's some evidence that suggests the werewolf is able to refrain from killing people, but, you know, townsfolk. A note left for your warlock reveals that the werewolf is the daughter of the village counsel's snide secretary - and a wandering wolf spirit your patron is quite fond of. You'll need to convince the town to let the girl live in peace.

At the top of the upcoming crumbling castle dungeon are an assortment of shambling, non-sentient undead who were once a brave and storied queen and her eight legendary knights prepared to sally out and slay the Horror of Faenhoven (whatever that is; your patron doesn't remember); they died after a toast of cursed necromancer's wine (the vizier, always the vizier). The vizier's still in residence, but your patron isn't interested in that: she hates to see a story unfinished. Lead the queen and her knights out to the Horror of Faenhoven, so they can end their glorious saga.
>>
>>46721203
Do you have a blank template for 5th edition classes by any chance? Faganon needs it for science.
>>
>>46722705

>>46720900
And also the one at naturalcrit. Personally don't recommend fiddling with either until you've got the text finalized.

Do not follow >>46722705's example.
>>
>>46722391
>newbies
>survive fighting Lorghoth
You didn't try hard enough. It's not called SurviveHouse.
>>
>>46722733
>>46722705
If you're looking for criticism, /tg/ is more likely to respond to an unfinished product done up to look nice. That's why I recommend messing with natural crit while balancing/being creative.
>>
File: mlady.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
mlady.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>46722754
Killing players is easy. Putting them up against tough challenges while pulling punches just enough to make them feel like they did it without any meta intervention is the real challenge.
>>
File: 138104550038.jpg (17 KB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
138104550038.jpg
17 KB, 320x179
>>46722795
>pulling punches
>>
File: costanza.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>46722795

>pulling punches

If you've already decided your players should always succeed, why bother rolling dice at all? Just let them describe all their awesome attacks, knock over the enemy minis, and hand out experience. It's much faster.
>>
>>46722795
Pulled punches are the sign of a poorly-planned adventure.
>>
File: come again.gif (830 KB, 200x152) Image search: [Google]
come again.gif
830 KB, 200x152
>>46721203
>>
>>46721203
>and critique hopefully if you have the time

>ITT: Anonymous had the time
>>
>>46722795
>this entire post
>>
>>46722795
>Pulling Punches
Alea Iacta Est, motherfucker. Let it lie where it may.
>>
>>46722854
Because I want them to have the satisfaction of winning by their own strength and skill and lucky breaks but I have zero interest in cutting short the story under anything but the most dramatically appropriate circumstances. So I cheat to make sure they win, and I cheat carefully to make sure they never notice - just like you've never noticed that every victory you've ever had was by design. Do you even know if you're one of my players?

You're not, I don't invite condescending faggots back for seconds.
>>
File: gXKSPE8.png (51 KB, 133x147) Image search: [Google]
gXKSPE8.png
51 KB, 133x147
>>46723019
>winning by their own strength and skill and lucky breaks
>So I cheat to make sure they win
>>
One of my players is a warlock and wants his patron to be an aboleth. What would make a good familiar for that?
>>
>>46723108
literally fucking read them
>>
>>46723108
Octapus.
>>
>>46723097
Not who you're responding to, but your comprehension skills suck. He wants them to FEEL like they won on their own, and thinks he's being clever by hiding the fact that he fudges rolls in their favor.
>>
>>46723108
Fish.

By day, he carries it in a jar on his belt.

By night, it floats around his head as he sleeps and whispers terrible falsehoods in his ear.
>>
File: y so salty do.jpg (58 KB, 492x479) Image search: [Google]
y so salty do.jpg
58 KB, 492x479
>My story is so inherently interesting that I ignore the dice

Again, why play a game with dice? Just do freeform and describe how all your players ascend to become the Apex Shadow Hedgehog and defeat Sephiroth in a showering of chaos emeralds.
>>
File: 7879823442.png (157 KB, 478x269) Image search: [Google]
7879823442.png
157 KB, 478x269
>>46723135
>*snort* ACTUALLY...
>>
>>46722678
Not the same anon, but oh god I love the last one!

Reminds me of Galavant.
>>
>>46722854
>>46722811
Because players think they want challenge, but really, they want the illusion of challenge. Your job as a GM is to give players what they actually want, not what they say they want.

>>46722947
>>46722854
>>46722811
>>46722880
>>46723097
>>46723159
Bunch of players here who have never had to deal with their own retarded shit from the DM's chair. I don't particuarly mind it though, because you're doing a service: you're helping me maintain the illusion of dice at the table by perpetuating the idea that dice mean anything at all.

As long as the players never find out that you fudge rolls, you're doing DMing right.

So thanks guys, your indignant outrage (despite the fact that you know its unfounded) helps me out as a DM in case any of my players ever come on /tg/.
>>
File: ahh.png (81 KB, 358x235) Image search: [Google]
ahh.png
81 KB, 358x235
>>46723225
> NOBODY UNDERSTANDS WHAT I HAVE TO DEAL WITH
>>
>>46723225

>My style of DMing has been challenged
>The only possible reason for this is that everyone else in the world is a faggot

Enjoy your freeform, Shadowhog.
>>
>>46723225
>Being so pretentious as to think you know better than your players as to what they want
McFucking kill yourself.
>>
>>46723225
>Bunch of players here who have never had to deal with their own retarded shit from the DM's chair
Oh, god dammit, it's you again.
>>
>>46723225
>dude your campaigns are always so easy none of us ever die
>>
>>46722391
The entire house is magic (probably transmutation based on how it can transform/rebuild) so that baffles detect magic attempts.
>>
>>46723225
>Because players think they want challenge, but really, they want the illusion of challenge. Your job as a GM is to give players what they actually want, not what they say they want.

Any mature GM knows this.
Players only are capable to doing things to the extent that the GM lets them. This is true of every RPG, even ones in which players have the ability to mechanically control the narrative.
It's a magic trick.
>>
>>46723282
I've learned from observation of my players you moron. What works, what doesn't. challenging fights work, but only to the point of character death, at which point things get messy and players get pouty.

>>46723315
>said no one in my campaign.

Most of the time it's people congratulating themselves on beating that mean old unfair DM whose always out to get them.

>>46723272
Who knows anon, you might even be enjoying my freeform without even knowing it! ;*) Odds are your DM has fudged tons of rolls that you've never noticed, and you're happier for it, because the alternative was a pretty big letdown of a character death or something similar.
>>
>>46723369
Damn you DM for some fucking casuals there m8
>>
Are PC deaths really that uncommon? In games I've played in PC death happens not all that unoften, especially at low levels
>>
>>46723397
You're all casuals m8. If you wanted difficulty you'd play a game without rule 0 and an emphasis on narrative. You'd play video games.
>>
>>46723397
>Casuals
This isn't Diablo, you fucking moron. What this guy is trying to tell you, correctly, I might add, is that whether players succeed or fail has nothing to do with the players. It's all down to the GM. If you don't know this, you've probably never been a GM, or are really fucking thick.
>>
>>46723369
>Players whine about character death
I didn't realize you enjoyed DMing for scrubs. You're totally wasting your many talents, anon.
>>
>>46723431
>>46723432
They're casuals because they can't deal with their characters dying without getting mopey
>>
>>46723466
So, your point, if I'm understanding you, is that being invested in the character to the point of being upset when it dies, is playing the game casually?
Seems to me you're playing casually if you don't care if your character dies. It's just a video game at that point.
>>
>>46723432

But anon, that's retarded. I make an adventure, fill it with challenges, some relatively easy, some relatively difficult, and let the players try to get through it. I don't do anything to help them succeed or try to make them fail, because I'm not a railroading freeformer. That's how I've been doing it since the late 80s. The players don't succeed because I *let* them, they succeed because they play intelligently.
>>
I'm currently DM'ing a campaign on a moon. I've taken to describing it to experienced players as , "What would happen if some berks met in a tavern in Sigil, and decided to go terraform Athas but the whole place got pulled into ravenloft before they could finish."
>>
>>46723432
> You probably aren't a GM
> defaults to moron

Jesus, Anon, if you're going to samefag, at least pretend to be oblique about it.
>>
>>46723575
I fail to see what the moon has to do with any of what you said, but I'm intrigued enough to want to hear more.
>>
>>46723575
Go on...
>>
File: butthurt tunak tun.gif (2 MB, 178x120) Image search: [Google]
butthurt tunak tun.gif
2 MB, 178x120
>>46723432

>I am the sole reason everyone has fun. All success and failure is at my whim. I am the sun king.

Go write a novel, anon.
>>
>>46723430
Low level deaths are common, and more acceptable from a GMing perspective than high level deaths. You can get away with them, both because they're expected, and because players haven't gotten attached to their characters or the story yet.

But high level deaths usually result in pout fests, shitposts on /tg/, accusations of being "that DM", etc.

If I had to go into DM theory here, I'd say there's a huge disconnect between what players want, and what they say they want, and it falls into one general category.

Players will largely say they want a simulationist sandbox. That is, they say they want to move within the world, and consequences happen based on known rules and their actions. Let the dice fall where they may.

But what they ultimately do want is a narrativist story.

As a DM, your job is to present the former, while delivering the latter. You can sometimes give them a great story within an actual sandbox, though most groups will need some slight railroading, because most groups will do something stupid. And by this I mean either actual rails, or the quantum plot hook type of rails. An example of the former would be an NPC strongly suggesting the players go investigate the abandoned mine for a necromancer that is central to the plot you've developed with them. An example of the latter would be the PCs deciding they don't like the cut of that guys jib, and visiting the abandoned temple, and finding "gasp" clues to the necromancer (that were going to be in the abandoned mine). Either way you're railroading the PCs, but you're also giving them the illusion of choice, and they're happier for it.

Even if you go full sandbox while still delivering a fun interesting story, by its very nature, a good story will get your players invested in the characters. And that investment makes character death an unpleasant experience to a lot of players. In fact, I've yet to meet a person irl who can see that some good stories end in death.
>>
>>46723615
That really more of a description of the general flavor. Athas isn't actually a factor, it's just that moons aren't that far from deserts, especially after a little terraforming, so the society that exists there parallels Athas more closely than any of the other prime materials.
>>
>>46723656

>But high level deaths usually result in pout fests, shitposts on /tg/, accusations of being "that DM", etc.

Try not playing with children. That might help.
>>
>>46723667
Alright, ok. Still the Sorcerer-Kings and general fear and hatred of magic?

When do the gypsies, fog, and skellies show up?
>>
>>46723689
I would, but I'm in /5eg/, so I'm trying to limit my discussion to DnD players.
>>
>>46723656
>You can get away with them, both because they're expected, and because players haven't gotten attached to their characters or the story yet.
>But high level deaths usually result in pout fests, shitposts on /tg/, accusations of being "that DM", etc.
The people you play with are babies. Honestly, if you die at a high level, it's because of two reasons: the plan didn't work, or your DM killed you. I have had a character die twice in DnD (anecdotal, whatever) that I felt was bullshit, that the DM was trying to kill us or was being unfair with his rulings and enemies.

Every other time? "Fuck, I could have done this, this, and this better and it might have worked."
>>
What're your opinions on having Death Domain Cleric PCs?

In my IRL game one of the other players is one, and plays it as a graveyard bureaucrat who heals everyone so they can pay him later. One of the guys in my online group wants to play one, too, since he thinks they're overpowered, which is great.

So I pointed out to the second guy that maybe the reason they're only in the DM's book is because they're supposed to be overpowered so as to be more challenging as villains, rather than overpowered PCs. I don't really into clerics, so I personally can't say how powerful a Death Domain Cleric is, but what do you guys think?
>>
>>46723736
The Death Domain Cleric is not exceedingly powerful relative to other PCs or even to other Cleric Domains. People go fucking nuts over Reaper until they realize that the only 2 Necromancy Cantrips are Chill Touch and Spare the Dying.

I've allowed Death Cleric PCs, depending on the character concept and the rest of the group. You wanna play Edgy McBoneBastard in a group of plucky heroes, I'm gonna ask you to reconsider; you want to play a dutiful Good Samaritan-type character who follows in the wake of outbreaks of undead and re-inters/sanctifies the remains of those animated by evil? I'm down.

Graveyard Bureaucrat sounds ok. Guy who wants to play one for the overpower angle is in for disappointment.
>>
>>46723736
Overpowered and underpowered have no meaning in narrativist games. The DM can "balance" on the fly with fudged rolls.

>>46723731
There is only one reason for character death anon: the DM killed you. The only difference is how well they disguise it.
>>
>>46723830
>There is only one reason for character death anon: the DM killed you
You're an idiot.
>>
>>46723826
>>46723830
Thanks, guys, I didn't want to be too discouraging so I thought I'd get an opinion.
>>
>>46723696
They are wizards, because I'm totally shameless in my cannibalization of other material, but yes they are there and magic is super controlled and demonized because, there is a strange purpleish haze (It's purple and it's a haze.. not a myst. Totally different.) that has covered the moon for the last 106 years. It causes strange magic storm and anomalies, which is the excuse the empire has been using to keep magic under their thumb.

The gypsies man the strange caravans, because 6000 miles of lunar sands is a large distance to cover, and the extreme temperatures of night and day mean that you have to stay in the twilight zone, underground, or near a pole in order to not die. Fortunately this is made possible by skeletal horses. That's always been the method of traveling the vast distances from pole to pole and crater town to crater town, which has, understandably built up a lot of negative energy... Which has been reanimating the first people who died making the trek from the south pole to the north. Enter the skeletons and other undead roaming the lunar sands.
>>
>>46723736

I think you should kick the online player for his reasoning alone, regardless of whether he's right about it or not. If he wants to play a class just because it's 'overpowered', tell him to get fucked. Online players are a dime a dozen, never settle for a shitty one.

They aren't particularly overpowered. The 17th level Improved Reaper ability is strong, but so are most of the abilities that other classes get around that level.
>>
>>46723884
Well, it's certainly something different.

Happy adventuring, LunAnon.
>>
>>46723830
> Everyone disagrees with me, so now I'll settle for actively poisoning the thread.

Go away.
>>
>>46723917
Thanks. I wanted to make something totally different.I was worried it was going to be a cluster fuck of different influences, but my players are gobbling it up. I think they like it even more than my old setting, which was just a standard mid-evil Europe fantasy land.
>>
>>46723959
?

I only saw players disagreeing with me, and their opinions are worthless (for obvious reasons). The few people who actually admitted to being DMs agreed.
>>
>>46722391
>suddenly the rogue, upon hearing that the cult spirits want them to kill something for them, runs all the way back to the statue room and grabs the orb

why
>>
File: low quality bait.png (577 KB, 1372x767) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.png
577 KB, 1372x767
>>46723830

>Overpowered and underpowered have no meaning in narrativist games. The DM can "balance" on the fly with fudged rolls.

Oh, Shadowhog, you so silly.
>>
>>46723985
>few people who actually admitted to being DMs agreed

Lmao, actually thinking anyone believed your transparaent samefagging

Give it a rest you fucking autist
>>
File: bait6.jpg (76 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait6.jpg
76 KB, 625x626
>>46723985
I could tell you right now that I'm more often the GM in my group than a player. I could tell you that I disagree with every single thing you've said in this conversation on a deep, fundamental level.

But you wouldn't believe me. You'd just go "lol, another player who has never DM'd pretending he has so he can win an argument." So I won't.
>>
File: nothin personnel.jpg (189 KB, 780x770) Image search: [Google]
nothin personnel.jpg
189 KB, 780x770
>>46723985
>>
>>46724007
Even if you think the DM should mostly honor rolls, do you think that your DM will perfectly balance every encounter they make for you? Sometimes mistakes happen for misguided but honest DMs, and fudging rolls is often better than a party wipe or boring safe encounter leaving sour tastes in people's mouths.

>>46724012
>I disagree with multiple people therefore they're samefagging.

Nice samefagging you two btw.

>>46724039
Nah, I acknowledge the existence of misguided DMs.
>>
>>46723960
Every setting is a clusterfuck of different influences. Mystara, Greyhawk, and FR are just Tired Fantasy Set Pieces: The Settings. Dragonlance is the same, but with more dragons, stupid self-referential humor, and moral subjectivism.

Ravenloft is Hammer Horror. Dark Sun came out in '91 when everything was getting beaten with the edgy stick. Eberron capitalized Final Fantasy and the steampunk boom in the 2000s.

Never be ashamed of transparent references; acknowledge them if called on it, and don't let them become an excuse for churning out samey sessions.
>>
File: bait10.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
bait10.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>46724074
Move along.
>>
>>46724074

>Even if you think the DM should mostly honor rolls, do you think that your DM will perfectly balance every encounter they make for you? Sometimes mistakes happen for misguided but honest DMs, and fudging rolls is often better than a party wipe or boring safe encounter leaving sour tastes in people's mouths.

No, because I've been DMing since before there was a concept of "perfectly balanced encounter". I generally use the CR numbers as a guideline, but if players aren't smart enough to escape from an encounter that isn't going their way, then they'll get their asses handed to them. My players know this, and it makes their victories more meaningful. Whereas your players always win by the amount that you deem dramatically appropriate, because you'd rather trick your players into playing freeform with you than just nut up and go start an actual game of freeform.

There's nothing wrong with playing freeform, anon. Plenty of awesome hedgehog characters have come from it.
>>
>>46723985
I'm a DM and I disagree with everything you're saying. A DM is bound by the rules of the system as much as any other player (and the DM is a player, his rules are different but he's here to play the game), otherwise what the fuck is the point? The DM rolls dice and resolves actions in the manner dictated by the rules of the system, and if the rules say the goblin adds +4 to his roll to hit then by God the goblin adds +4 to his roll to hit. Otherwise I might as well be playing freeform, or just scrub the chaotic influence of "players" and their ideas and fun from my games and start writing a book.
>>
>>46723915
>Online players are a dime a dozen, never settle for a shitty one.
Idunno, Anon, at least we know this one hasn't already read the DMG in detail.
>>
>>46715903
>serving the president of the US
>Lawful Good

Topkek
>>
>>46724173
I'm the guy who asked in the first place, I was just another player in the group. Also, he's an experienced player who's pretty likable, I think he may have just been excited about the prospect.
>>
>>46724162
>>46724166
What you don't seem to get is that players don't want freeform. They want the illusion of rules to beat. I could give them actual freeform, but then their enjoyment would be lowered, so that's a bad move.

You (both) seem to fundamentally misunderstand the difference between rules, pretend rules, and freeform. As long as my players never find out rolls are fudged (and how could they?), they're much happier for it. They get to feel as challenged as your players do, but also win. Meanwhile, I can focus on more important things, like making the encounters interesting, rather than letting them be boring or unsatisfying based on the tyranny of dice.
>>
File: 201385418045_1.jpg (14 KB, 225x214) Image search: [Google]
201385418045_1.jpg
14 KB, 225x214
>>46724243
>>
>>46724279
Thanks anon, fudging rolls is just one of many tools in the toolbox. That's a good metaphor.
>>
>>46723598
I'm a different dude, fuckface. More than one person can be correct on this board.
>>
>>46723860
I can't believe so much of this is going over people's heads.
>>
>>46721615
She sends you to a gay bar/tavern to win a wrestling competition. It's called the Honey Bear.
>>
File: 47329892423478324.jpg (28 KB, 624x447) Image search: [Google]
47329892423478324.jpg
28 KB, 624x447
>>46724294
>>46724359
>>46724388
> Thread goes quiet
> Better get the last word in
> AS MANY TIMES AS POSSIBLE
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.