[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: 1231929469439[1].jpg (279 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1231929469439[1].jpg
279 KB, 1024x768
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Sexy Powered Classes Edition.

How do you rationalize charisma increasing one's combat ability for certain classes?
>>
>>46699688
I think you forgot

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>46699688
Your presence on the battlefield feels people with dread and awe. Your self confidence makes people doubt and second guess themselves.
>>
Can you mount a non-animal creature? Another humanoid PC?
>>
>>46699688
I have four level 7 characters.
What's the highest challenge rating single enemy I can throw out them without butchering them all?
Leaving only one alive is fine, I'd just prefer no TPK to end the campaign.
>>
>>46699711
I didn't, but that does remind me:

>Official 9gag approved memes
>6d20 down the line
>martials aren't interesting (generally true, but a meme nonetheless)
>4 suits of plate armor
>bag of rats
>calling someone you disagree with Virt
and, we proudly welcome two new memes to the 9gag meme hall of fame today!
>discord server
>dragonborn are a meme race

Remember to spam the thread with these, for it is epic win.
>>
>>46699749
Yes.
>>
>>46699770
you forgot glaive/halberd
>>
File: nice meme.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>46699770
>discord server
>a meme
>>
>>46699732
What about charisma powered casting? I understand warlocks. They're bartering for power. Growing sexier might get them a better bargain. But I don't understand sorc for instance.

>>46699762
What are their classes? The answer is radically different if they have access to hold person.
>>
>>46699805
Wizard (Illusionist), Cleric (War), Paladin (Vengeance), Ranger (Hunter).
>>
>>46699805
Charisma is not necessarily physical attractiveness or persuasive power, but raw force of personality and sense of self.

For a Paladin, more Cha = more conviction = more power.
For a Sorcerer, like some versions of Bard, their power is within their bloodline, and a better understanding of the self and knowledge of their own being allows them to tap into it more deeply and effectively.
>>
Any new kits coming out anytime soon?
>>
>>46699688
It's dumb. Always was dumb. Will likely airways be dumb. An overreaction to charisma-as-dumpstat from ages ago that somehow we're still stuck with.
>>
>>46699882
Kits? 2e kits?
>>
>>46699915
UA kits, I imagine
>>
>>46699832
Death Tyrant.

CR wise, for a fair encounter, you're looking about about 6000 total xp, which in a single monster would be 12ish. But I find that you can usually bump up the encounter a lot more when it's 4 vs 1, because action economy is killer. Death Tyrant, out of lair is 14, it has legendary actions, and it'll prove to be quite the challenge.
>>
>>46699932
Thanks. I needed a benchmark for a final boss.
A souped up Barbarian 11 nearly wiped the party when they were level 6, after I had send a few minions to soften them up.
>>
>>46699987
>a single Barbarian nearly chumped them
This is what happens when you don't have a grappler.
>>
>>46699987
Actually, death tyrant is probably too powerful at those levels. I just reread the statblock, and in addition to having legendary actions, it's got a 3 target attack. But it's something for them to shoot for.
>>
The Eradicator, a fightan' magic class that focuses on creating and balancing an all day magic class.(I know the warlock exists, but it is not very good at fighting, and is too limited in its choices.)
http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/Hkcyfk1g
>>
>>46700003
He was a litmus test for the final boss- a belt of Fire Giant Strength, a +1 greatsword, and he was Frenzied.
That gave him three attacks, +12 to hit, and 2d6+11 damage on every hit.
>>
>>46700067
Meant to add:
Questions and Critique's welcome.
>>
How bad is this homebrew? I came up with it super quickly for a session that's starting in, you know, less than 30 minutes.

>Giant Wyvern/Spider
>Large Arachnid-dragon monstrosity, chaotic evil
>CR 7, 2600 XP
>"Eight horrible legs come off at odd angles from this gargantuan reptile-arachnid, its fangs furred like a spider. It makes a horrible noise between a roar and a chatter. Several patches of decaying flesh indicate that either the wyvern or the spider was deceased beforehand. Whatever the fuck this is, it was made quickly and shoddily—and you should probably unmake it even faster."
161 HP, AC 15
>STR 20 (+5)
>DEX 10 (+0)
>CON 20 (+5)
>INT 10 (+0)
>WIS 12 (+1)
>CHA 5 (-3)
Actions:
>Multiattack: The Wyvern/Spider makes two attacks
>Bite: Melee attack, +7 to hit, reach 10 feet, 1 creature. 2d6+4 damage, plus 1d4 poison damage.
>Webbing: The Wyvern/Spider shoots a web up to 10 feet. +5 to hit. When hit, the target takes 3d6 poison damage per turn, on account of the wyvern's poison stinger being re-purposed as a spinneret by whatever the fuck made this thing. DC 13 strength check to break out. Has 2 charges, regains lost charges over the course of 3 turns. May use both charges at once.
>>
>>46700110
Only thing I'm unsure about: both giant spiders and wyverns are unaligned. Why is this CE?
>>
>>46700138
The process of creating it turned it insane, and its masters willed it to be evil.

It actually may be chaotic neutral, to be honest. I'm not picky about that bit.
>>
>>46700110
Seems alright. Put it in an environment with lots of moving hazards, and you'll do great.
>>
>>46700138
In addition, a thing is one type or another. It is an abberation OR a dragon, not both.
>>
>>46700160
It's a dragon then.

>>46700157
Moving hazards?

Shit, I need to come up with some excuse to do this now. Fuck. What would qualify in an urban setting? Saying "passing by merchants" doesn't really work.
>>
>>46700152
Okay. Seems legit enough.
>>46700160
>>46700175
Should be a monstrosity IMO, not an aberration or a dragon. Owlbear, chimera (which has dragon parts), and generally all mix-and-match creatures are monstrosities.
>>
>>46700184
True enough, aberrations are things either touched by or from the Far Plane generally.
>>
>>46700194
>>46700184
I suppose I'll just make it a monstrosity in that case.
>>
>>46700089
Seems a bit generalist mechanically compared to its fluff.
>>
File: 1410732828015.gif (1 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1410732828015.gif
1 MB, 300x168
>>46699688
Those fucking muscular sorceress hips jesus christ
>>
File: Ffv2Y6rJQC0.jpg (73 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Ffv2Y6rJQC0.jpg
73 KB, 600x400
So what is the general opinion on Adventure's League? I have been to two sessions so the jury is still out for me.

>Open Onions
>>
>>46700324
The adventures I've seen are fine. League rules are dumb.
>>
Hey /tg/, I'm making a magic weapon for a bard that lets them spend a Bardic Inspiration (once per day) to lower an enemy's AC for 1 round.

Is it too powerful to give at level 4?
>>
>>46699770
>discord server
I don't get how that's a meme at all.
>dragonborn are a meme race
I like this because the phrasing reminds me a lot of Milhouse--'"dragonborn are a meme race" is a meme'
>>
>>46700558
Given that you can give out Bardic Inspiration as a bonus action that can increase one person's attack rolls one time it's a bit powerful, especially at that level. Bear in mind you're one level away from Bardic Inspiration coming back on a short rest.
>>
>>46700558
Let him cast Bless once per day
>>
>>46700763
The weapon's property can only be used once per long rest, though. So yeah, it's basically giving everyone inspiration for all their attacks for a full round.

I'll likely add a Con save for any target with natural armor to avoid this effect... but then they would have wasted one of their BD dice.
>>
>>46700485
As someone who knows next to nothing about Adventurer's League, what about it is dumb?
>>
I have a question regarding Hail of Thorns

Let's say I'm surrounded by enemies. I cast Hail of Thorns. If I throw a stick at myself (ranged weapon attack) and hit (hitting a creature), it would mean that all the creatures around me (and myself) would be under the effect of the spell, right?
>>
>>46700873
Sounds needlessly granular with the natural armour thing. What about letting him spend a dice, and then whatever he rolls is added to damage rolls vs that opponent until the end of his next turn?
>>
>>46700833
There's already a Cleric in the party... Do multiple castings of Bless stack?

And the idea is more or less they inspire the weapon itself to lower their target's defenses, be it by by cutting a strap that was holding their armor together, leaving someone dizzy and less able to dodge, etc.
>>
>>46700833
Wouldn't heroism be a more fitting bard spell?
>>
>>46700324
Adventurers League is fine if you have no friends who are in to D&D I guess.

>>46700485
The League rules are dumb when you can just kick out the dickhead who ruins the game for everyone, or who starts hoarding all the loot. In a store environment they make more sense, especially for ensuring first time players don't have a bad time. While I find its metagame elements bizarre I also think that from the perspective of WotC trying to get people playing their game regularly they make sense.

>>46700887
There's some tomfoolery about trading items, not being allowed to swap things between players etc. Magic items in particular are a big part of it and there are somewhat silly rules about making sure every player gets their fair share.

On a more understandable, but still sorta dumb, note: DMs are highly restricted in what they can and cannot do. Obviously you have to run the adventures as published but you aren't really free to make any adjustments on the fly or throw additional encounters or XP the players way if things go off the rails.
>>
>>46701033
>On a more understandable, but still sorta dumb, note: DMs are highly restricted in what they can and cannot do. Obviously you have to run the adventures as published but you aren't really free to make any adjustments on the fly or throw additional encounters or XP the players way if things go off the rails.
So basically if the players go off the rails is it supposed to be like fucking Mario Kart where the DM just picks you up and drops you back onto the correct path? That also sounds like you can't punish people for being overtly stupid either.
>>
>>46699882
Not until at least June. May UA's gonna be DM's Guild shillin'.
>>
>>46701033
Honestly, like with all published modules, if I expect players to have read it, I'm going to remix the map enough that they can't necessarily tell where a major magic item is.

But that's moroe playing an AL module at the normal table.
>>
What CR/XP value should this be? What's a good

>"Strangler"
>Medium Undead
>HP 51 (6d8+18)
>AC 11
>Speed 30
>Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 4
>Poison immunity
>Skills: Athletics +6

>Undead Fortitude (as zombie)
>False Appearance: When its arms aren't extended, the strangler appears as a normal zombie.
>Strangler: While the Strangler is grappling a creature, that creature is unable to breathe.

>Slam: +6 to hit, reach 10 feet: 7 (1d6+3) damage, target is grappled (escape DC 14).

>With a sickening crack, the shambler's arms break and stretch outwards, darting for your throat!
>>
>>46701146
Yeah, honestly my big trouble with the AL, which I still understand from WotCs perspective, is that they don't free up the DM to do that.

Now obviously most players are fine, and aren't going to read through the whole module and memorize it all in advance. Even if they've played it before they can generally be counted upon to not beeline for the good stuff. But there's always one fuck who has to ruin it at some tables.
>>
A scroll uses an action to read but the spell's cast time is the same
>>
>>46701149
Should be about CR 1/2
But its bonus to hit should be +5 (+3 str, +2 prof) and escape DC 13 (8+str+prof). Then again, since it has Athletics, you can use normal grappling rules and make it a contested roll.

Also Athletics should be +5, using that same math.

However, that Strangler trait can be pretty deadly... So CR 1 also makes sense.
>>
>>46701149
CR 1, 200 XP
>>
Can someone post the "We saved the town!" anime screencapture?
>>
File: Zombie Alternate.png (121 KB, 497x741) Image search: [Google]
Zombie Alternate.png
121 KB, 497x741
Hey guys, I made this to better emulate the feeling that zombies are things powered by unholy magic, and that smashing their heads just succeeds in making rotted grey matter fly everywhere.

What are your guys opinions? Would you run this at the table?
>>
>>46701570
The only change is that it has resistance to nonmagical BPS? Nah, I'd just stick with the regular zombie honestly. Undead fortitude already covers them being hard to properly damage.
>>
>>46701661
Well, no. I lowered their hitpoints by 5, and the resistance is only to piercing and bludgeoning. I'm trying to more accurately represent the 3.5 feel of having to slash zombies apart.
>>
>>46701686
I still wouldn't bother.
>>
>>46700911
Technically I suppose. But as a DM, if you pulled that shit, I'd call it an improvised weapon attack for 1d4 plus strength against your own AC, and with disadvantage for making a ranged attack against a target within 5 feet. Not because it makes sense, but because fuck you hail shouldn't work that way.
>>
Some asked in the last there'd if switching their monks abilities to charisma was op.

>>46699325
Nope. Some homebrews already allow classes to switch around their mental stats for abilities and casting. I'm playing an Int based detective warlock with cheeky sidekick familiar myself
>>
Is there a way to play a werewolf in 5E? Is there an archtype out for it?
>>
File: Strangler.png (88 KB, 494x837) Image search: [Google]
Strangler.png
88 KB, 494x837
>>46701149
Here ya go bud
>>
>>46701834
No. Get out.
>>
>>46701865
Is there a tool for this, or did you do it manually?
>>
>>46701882
http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/

This is a super useful tool, and it's most likely what most other nice looking homebrews are using to make.
>>
>>46701834
There's a Shifter race in the Unearthed Arcana. And various homebrews of course.

>>46701877
Don't be a dick.
>>
>>46701865
why is it using dex to hit
why +6 to hit and not +5
why dc 14 and not dc 13
>>
>>46701923
Shit, thanks, that's useful.
>>
File: Strangler.png (87 KB, 492x839) Image search: [Google]
Strangler.png
87 KB, 492x839
>>46701950
>>
>>46702052
It really shouldn't have Athletics either. Why/how would a zombie be trained in anything
>>
File: Halfbreed 1.0.jpg (259 KB, 817x621) Image search: [Google]
Halfbreed 1.0.jpg
259 KB, 817x621
Give me your opinions on the balance and general usefulness of this homebrew, /tg/. I want to give back.
>>
>>46701950
NPCs don't give a shit about PHB bonus rules. Their to-hit and DCs and ability scores are arbitrary.
>>
>>46702211
They really aren't. Check the DMG or the MM, NPCs have a proficiency bonus based on their CR.
>>
>>46702109
For grappling and grappling accessories, mostly.

Also, it's int 6.
>>
>>46702155
Draconic Ancestry/Damage Resistance are the same thing champ

The problem with this Halfbreed thing is 9/10 the halfbreed is better than any base race

For example Human/Dragonborn gets +2 Cha, +1/+1, and the Damage resistance

Since breath weapon is so bollocks it's just a straight improvement
>>
>>46702282
But it uses auto grapple from its attack, not a Grapple attack

All you've done with +6 Athletics (should be +5) is make IT harder to be grappled
>>
>>46702294
oh and two skills.

So an extra ability score and two skills for shitty breath weapon. Done deal
>>
>>46702329
I like my cone weapon tyvm, i fluff that DB can only use it under emotional stress.

Or simply ask your DM to make it usable once every 2 in game hours or something
>>
>>46702237
They are, but all the Monster Manual bonuses and DCs, and even CR, were adjusted specifically to fit playtesting feedback during development.
>>
>>46699834
Come on, dummy. When the wording is ambiguous, you check the errata. That way there won't be any arguments about magic items being under DM purview and taking an action to read, casting is separate. Nope, just gotta check the errata.
>>
>>46702431
What are you talking about? Pretty much every entry in the MM follows the same math. Attacks are Str/Dex + prof by CR. DCs are 8 + casting stat or relevant stat + prof by CR.

A dragon's breath weapon save DC, for example, is 8 + Con + Prof.
>>
>>46702294
The ancestry feature is a separate entry in the PHB.

Dragonborn is another prime example of something that is inherently difficult to balance. I mean, they have no bloody features. What am I supposed to give them?
>>
Our group is going to start Curse of Strahd. One of the players wants to know if it would be going against the lore or break the feel of the campaign to play as a vampire (prestige class he wants to use).

Without spoiling anything about the campaign, would this be okay? Or is Strahd meant to be the only vampire in this adventure?
>>
>>46702680
>campaign about spooky thing harassing you
>can I play as a spooky thing?

get out
>>
>>46702712
That was the main concern. I was telling him that it might sort of defeat the purpose of the BBEG; like playing someone that's working on becoming a Lich when you're on your way to kill a lich.
>>
>>46702680
You can do whatever you want as a DM, since you can adjust things accordingly. However, my advice would be to put your foot down and say no. There's no way that a player playing a vampire (either as an edgelord or a betrayal-prone That Guy) will end well.
>>
>>46702712
>Who is Jander Sunstar
It wouldn't be the first vampire who goes up against Strahd
>>
>>46702680
It would kind of cheapen the experience in all honesty. Vampires and vampire spawn are hideous creatures of the night, and probably shouldn't be player races or classes. Not in Curse of Strahd, at least.

But that's just my opinion. I've been running Curse of Strahd for a few weeks now, and I'm getting a ton of mileage out of vampire spawn clinging to walls and ceilings, scuttling around like insects. It would be a lot less unsettling if a character all of a sudden was like "oh yeah, I can do that no prob, I'm a third level vampire."
>>
>>46702155
> +2 Cha just for being mestizo
It's still stupid.
>>
>>46702745
>and probably shouldn't be player races or classes
Necropolis was a really neat 2E idea honestly.
>>
>>46702745
>>46702742
This is pretty much my biggest concern. I'm not DMing, but as a forever-DM finally getting a break so a player can DM CoS, players are still coming to me for advice. Thanks for confirming what I thought guys.

Now, next thought: What about the Blood Hunter, made by Matthew Mercer? Would its "Order of the Lycan" cheapen the campaign in a similar way? It seems more feasible, but I just want to make sure. Again, no spoilers please.
>>
>>46702757
It is what the PHB does for half-elves, something which doesn't come from either parent race. What would you do differently?
>>
>>46702830
Order of the Lycan presents a similar problem, unfortunately.
>>
>>46702862
Damn, that one actually was for my character. Oh well, I suppose I could pick a different order; maybe the Mutant.
>>
Party of 4-5 level 7 characters

2 roper twins overkill for a setpiece encounter?
>>
>>46702830
>newbie DM running CoS

Ruh roh. Also why would you give up the opportunity to run CoS? I gave up foreverDM to let a player DM and I have hated every second of it, DNs have way more fun

>>46702937
Two ropers having tugging match with a PC
>>
>>46702599
>The ancestry feature is a separate entry in the PHB.
...That informs the other two features they get. It's meaningless on its own.

It's not enough to read the rules if you don't comprehend them.
>>
>>46703262
>Also why would you give up the opportunity to run CoS?
I'm DM'ing a campaign in our homebrew setting right now, and in the summer between semesters we can meet twice per week instead of once, so that second day of the week is going to be her DMing day. She's really excited to DM, so I don't mind relaxing in a player seat for it.

Would it be difficult for newbie DMs? I don't know anything about it (Never played in Ravenloft) other than there's some neat gimmick that can make the whole campaign a little more randomised or something like that. I'm trying to go in as unspoiled as I can, but I told her that if she needs DM advice from me then I'd promise not to metagame (though I recommended that she ask online first).
>>
>>46702937
CR wise it's a medium to hard encounter, but Ropers only get one damaging attack per round. They should be fine. I was surprised how fast my party of 5 level 4 took one down, granted three of them got very close to dropping.
>>
>>46702846
I would not impose a one-size-fits-all solution on a setting where halfbreeds are rare and racial/species politics are complicated, and I would not assume that a setting where halfbreeds are reasonably common/accepted would engender the kind of poise required by Half-Elves in the Default Setting.
>>
>>46703384
>>46703262

I'm trying to think of something else to do with the ropers that works well. I know piercers are kind of neat but I don't want to instagib the party by adding 4-5 of them.
>>
>>46699770
This post is a meme post.
>>
>>46703450
Ropers have spider climb.

Put them on the cave roof, 40 or 50ft. above the players, who must also contend with the goblins who worship the ropers and bring them people to feed on
>>
>>46703507
good idea
>>
>>46703423
Fair enough. It isn't going to be for everyone.
>>
>>46703507
That's interesting! Escaping the grapple becomes a difficult choice.

>>46703450
What the other anon said is quite good already. Another possible monster to add is the Darkmantle, maybe not in the same encounter, but previously, to warm them up.
>>
>>46703625
>>46703521
Do or die melee characters will probably enjoy fighting the roper after being pulled go the roof

If a character is pulled up, have some goblins pulled up too and you can have mid air battles

If goblins are too weak for level 7s use troglodytes, would fit theme wise as well
>>
So is there anyway to cut strahd's influence off from an object? I got separated from party for a bit and he kinda started communicating to my character through a puppet I have. I decided to play along since I was alone and had no idea when I might meet up with them again. I got a silvered weapon out of this but now my party found me again and I need to get rid of this thing without fucking them or myself over.
>>
Were I to play a human monk, is there any feat that I'd benefit from having? Or should I just go wood elf instead?

I'm kinda torn conceptually, since it's hard to play an everyman wood elf in Forgotten Realms, but they're so obscenely good.
>>
>>46703897
Polearm Master + spear is pretty sweet for monks.
>>
>>46703897
Mobile could do well. Swing at an enemy, eventually up to 4, and be able to walk away without any risk. The bonus movement speed stacks with your unarmored speed feature to make you a rocketman.
>>46703972
I'll assume you mean quarterstaff, but even then that's just the benefit of getting an opportunity attack when they approach you. Sure, it works well with Stunning Strike, but you're basically wasting the other half of the feat.
>>
>>46703897
Depends on your character and the party, buddy.
Healer is a good one if there's no one filling that role;
Magic Initiate is always an interesting and varied choice, you could go for the Cleric's list and pick Guidance, Bless, etc;
Mobile adds to your speed and lets you Disengage for free from anyone you attack;
Observant makes your passive Perception absurdly high if you already have proficiency...

There are many good choices.
>>
>>46703897
Take Tavern Brawler and Shield Master. Make a shield your monastic weapon. You're not wielding a shield as a shield, you're wielding your shield-monk-weapon as an improvised weapon, which, by the nature of being a shield (which is not a shield, because you don't have shield proficiency, it's just a weapon) still gives you +2 AC and doesn't turn off your other monk features. It's not a shield, it's a weaponized pot lid that just happens to have the +2 AC functionality of a shield.

Get your DM really high before you try this.
>>
>>46704027
No, I meant spears..after some reading though spears apparently don't count as polearms, while quarterstaves do. Go figure.
>>
>>46704134
Use a ladder as a Monk weapon, like Jackie Chan.
I had a character who got a Rod of Lordly Might that turned into a ladder and boy was that fun.
>>
>>46704134
Without polearm master, though, spears are the superior monk weapon.

>>46704054
The character I want to play is level 1, and I don't even know what I'm getting into here. It's a new group, and I'm playing the everyman monk who isn't really a monk, he's just a guy with some fightan' skills, a spear, a sword, and a little know how of magic. (Sun Soul monk.)

We have a healer, magic initiate isn't needed, mobile is good but doesn't justify sacrificing 16 Dex and Wis right out of the gate, and Observant... Who cares.

I'm basically wondering if there is a feat that's good enough for people to run with it into the sunset. Otherwise I'm going knife-ear.

>>46704103
That's just stupid enough to work!
>>
File: Rho'thun.jpg (232 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
Rho'thun.jpg
232 KB, 786x1017
>>46704337
>I'm playing the everyman monk who isn't really a monk, he's just a guy with some fightan' skills, a spear, a sword, and a little know how of magic. (Sun Soul monk.)
Ma nigga.
>>
>>46701834
get bit by a werewolf
>>
rate my party /tg/ (all 1st level)

Drow wizard

mountain dwarf paladin

Human cleric

Human barbarian

yall reckon we'll make it?
>>
>>46704393
Do you suppose killing the Drow will get you level 2?
>>
File: 1458168599824.jpg (156 KB, 512x800) Image search: [Google]
1458168599824.jpg
156 KB, 512x800
So I took the City Watch SCAG background for my Fighter, and I have him as a former Neverwinter City Guard. I have him leaving because he was sick of the corruption in his city, but I realized there might be larger issues going on in the City after reading the Neverwinter sections in SCAG. I also noticed that they didn't talk about the Neverwinter Guard nearly as much as they talked about the other forces on the Sword Coast.

I can't help but feel like the 'leaving because of corruption' angle isn't going to play based on what i've read. Anyone who knows a bit more about 'New Neverwinter' have a better idea of what happened to the guard or what a better backstory would be? I'm having a surprisingly difficult time with this shit.
>>
File: 1371442897288.png (112 KB, 224x220) Image search: [Google]
1371442897288.png
112 KB, 224x220
>>46704393
>mfw the wizard probably has the highest dex

I hope you didn't like surprise rounds, because your exploration capabilities are going to be nonexistent.
>>
>>46704503
>>46704393
I agree, you could use a rogue. But you'll probably be fine.
>>
>>46704494
>what a better backstory would be?

Left because there wasn't ENOUGH corruption. How's a dishonest cop supposed to make a jeep in that town?
>>
>>46704503
>in a Fighter, Fighter, Barb, Ranger, Sorcerer party
>everyone but the Sorc is stacking up on doors and breaching rooms like they're fucking SWAT
>Sorc player is just twiddling his thumbs because there's no point in casting if we murder every creature before they can wake up / stand up
We need to get that nigga a Flashbang spell that won't alert the rest of the complex so he can feel useful.
>>
>>46704393
>yall reckon we'll make it?

I request the alignments, backgrounds, and one or two sentences of characters details on each before I render judgment.
>>
File: dwarfSWAT.jpg (329 KB, 1431x1600) Image search: [Google]
dwarfSWAT.jpg
329 KB, 1431x1600
>>46704535
ALL YOU FUCKING LIZARDMEN ON THE FLOOR NOW
>>
>>46704535
He could always grab buffs/hold person/etc.
>>
>>46704559
>Twin Hasted or Invised Fighters/Barbs
Woah, let's not break the game TOO much.
>>
>>46704535
>Color Spray
>>
>>46704603
We're past the point where 6d10 (or 8d, or 10d) HP means dick and if the spell is going to wear off immediately after the surprise round (which the enemy can't act in to begin with) there's not much point. I suppose he could fire it into a room we're already inside, because it's unlikely to hit the party members with their beefy HP.
>>
>>46704642
Actually, do we suppose that Silent Image could create light in a dark room? It's a 15 foot cube object. If you were sitting in a dark room and, say, a 15' cube bonfire appeared in the middle of the room, that would probably really fuck with you if it were casting just as much light as the real thing.
>>
>>46704537
Dwarf paladin of devotion (moradin). Clan craftsman background. NG

Human barbarian outlander who hates gnomes (no tabletop experience). CN

human death domain cleric. No idea on background, probably trying to go as evil as the dm will let him.

Drow noble with dreams of probs going necromancy wizard. Likely LN/CN
>>
>>46704642
Then how Hypnotic Pattern?
>>
>>46704722
>Dwarf paladin of devotion (moradin). Clan craftsman background. NG
True man detected.
>>
>>46704723
>how about

Getting sleepy here.
>>
>>46704741
I'll have to float the idea past him, but he seems set on being a blaster in a party that focuses on sneaking (with guys in platemail somehow) and throwing every enemy through a wall. The few time he's gotten to cut loose is because we had the Ranger set up a Silence aura first so no one would notice lightning bolts everywhere.
>>
>>46704722
You're super fucked. TPK couldn't come soon enough.
>>
Tell me about Amaunator. He seems like a cool guy, but I don't know how to properly embrace his light and his justice.
>>
>>46704763
Hypnotic Pattern saved my wild sorcerer's life once... But throwing a Fireball is immensely satisfying.

But you know, if he can cast Subtle Spells and someone can drop Silence in the room, that easily works too.
>>
>>46704820
Bring your identification to the temple during normal operating hours (9am-4pm weekdays, 9am-8pm Saturdays, closed Sunday) and file an I-67b, or Amaunator Dogma Information Request. Turnaround on that is exactly seven business days; remember to be back at the Court promptly at that time or your forms will be recycled and you'll have to restart the entire process. Praise the sun.

it's all bureaucracy, strict hierarchies, and time-keeping
obey the law and your superiors or else, chump
imagine if kossuth and gargauth had a baby but it was a nice guy instead of a raging asshole
>>
Is it possible to make a character who utilizes poisons in 5e? How does Alchemy work?
>>
File: Protean.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Protean.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Didn't post the it in the last thread since the changes were very minor (name change and minor ability tweaking), but here's the hopefully final version of the class formerly known as "mutator". Unless anybody notices any glaring problems I have to fix in it.

Next I think I'll take a break from all the Cthulhoid stuff and write some oceanic/underwater-themed stuff. Of course, once you go deep enough, the ocean is also just more Cthuhu.
>>
One of my players isn't showing up, leaving me with only 2. I've heard a lot about death house. Would that be an okay adventure to run for my 2 players?
>>
>>46705493
I'd start them at level 3 if there was only 2. They'll need the HP. They should manage with that.
>>
A card shop just opened a 15 minute walk from my apartment and they are currently only running MtG stuff. I know next to nothing about Adventure league, but I spoke with the owner and he'd be willing to let me use two days a week to run D&D stuff.

So far I've only been DM for friends at kitchen table type stuff. My question is what kind of a leap is it to be an Adventure League DM?
>>
>>46705419
One thing that jumps out at me is that it gets literally nothing except for an HP roll at level 2. That's lame as fuck.
>>
>>46705619
People complained that the original version had too many abilities, so I removed some of the extraneous ones.
Level two used to have an ability that let you activate an aura that gave things disadvantage on Con saves, and also made your max hp to not be able to be reduced when active. But that wasn't particularly interesting (especially since I also cut the higher level ability that would give the aura some extra effects) so I cut it, and none of the existing abilities could really be moved to its place (something like multiattack of magic unarmed strikes is way too good at 2nd level).

I suppose I could change the "unarmed strikes deal d4 slashing damage" from a mutation into the 2nd level ability, so you can deal better unarmed damage without using the mutation slot.
>>
>>46705672
Well see, casters have dead levels where they gain nothing, right?

Well, only kinda. You'll notice that for something like the Cleric, at their "dead" levels of 3, 7, etc, they get access to a new level of spells. Getting absolutely nothing except for an HP roll on a level kinda feels like shit.
>>
>>46705672

You don't have to give it a useful combat ability, just a ribbon ability. Something neat but situational.
>>
>>46705672
And adding on to this, none of the martial classes have any levels where they get nothing. Consider moving some abilities around and giving the class ASIs comparable to the Rogue, if you can't think of anything else.
>>
>>46705707
>>46705711
Does this sound ok?

>2nd level: your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 + Str modifier in slashing or piercing damage (choose when you make an attack). The mutation that used to do that is replaced with letting you make your unamed strikes poisoned (1d4 + Con modifier in poison damage on failed save).
>9th level ability: you can have two Alter Flesh mutations at the same time. The Fleshwarper ability that did that now lets you have two of the major mutations (to a total of 4 mutations).
>13th level ability: Your hp maximum can't be reduced and you can use an action and a mutation point to gain regeneration (regain amount of hp equal to your Con modifier at the start of your turns, as long as you have atleast 1 hp) for an amount of rounds equal to your Con modifier.
>17th level ability: when you take damage, you can use your reaction to gain resistance against that type of damage until the beginning of the next round.
>>
>>46705993
Also, considering the amount of reaction-based abilities, I might replace the Broodmaster's "move part of damage to a spawn as a reaction" ability with something else, like letting you command the spawn as bonus action.
>>
>>46705993

Not that guy, but you really don't need to add any abilities to 9, 13, or 17.

They're already getting a proficiency increase and another mutation point, so really they're fine as is.

The only one that was a true "dead" level was 2, of which the ability you described will be a perfectly acceptable fix.
>>
>>46705993
I agree with >>46706063. 2 was the only level that really needed something.
>>
File: Protean.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Protean.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46706063
>>46706070
OK. Although I'd like to fit the regeneration ability somewhere due to being fluffy, but the existing high-level abilities are more useful/interesting than fairly minor hp regen for at most 7 (probably 5 ot 6) rounds at max level.
>>
>>46706132
It's missing fluff / RP abilities.

Like the Ranger's favored enemy / terrain, or the Paladin's undead sense. It's got fighter-itis, it can't do anything outside of combat.
>>
>>46705145

>Is it possible to make a character who utilizes poisons in 5e?

Yes, you just need a proficiency in Poisoner's Kit to create poison (you can also harvest it from a creature with either Nature or Poisoner's Kit). Or just buy the poisons and use them.

>How does Alchemy work?

You need to have proficiency in Artisan's tool: Alchemist's supplies, and then it follows the same rules as any crafting.

If you want to brew magic potions, you have to find the recipe first
>>
>>46700244
M-U/Cleric of Talos, actually. That's Deirdre, the sister of Alicia of the Moonshae Islands. Deirdre's sister isn't half bad either.
>>
Anyone have any experience with 5th Edition Foes and balance? The Chaos Knight seems cool but a CR3 creature casting Wall of Ice and Ice Storm seems very nasty if it gets the drop on the players.
>>
>>46707086
Any creature is nasty if it gets the drop on the players.
>>
New DM here.

How should I be using the adventuring day and CR tables?

Take the XP / adventuring day number, then divide it among 3-6 encounters, then craft those encounters with that XP/CR budget?

Also, would it break anything if I multiplied XP awarded by the same amount as the XP budget for encounters with multiple enemies? It seems unfair to throw a deadly encounter at the players, but then give them a fraction of the XP they'd get normally.
>>
>>46699688
CHA as a combat stat I can only rationalize by imagining the chant of a spell determines it's power.

If Magic Missile's chant is "Fus roh dah" and you say it like a bitch, it wouldn't be as strong as if you shouted it like it was originally conceived.

Thus the more control you have over your voice, the better your spells.
>>
>>46707307

This was answered pretty early in the thread, and has been discussed to death in the past, but I'll say it again anyway.

Charisma in D&D is not -just- talking well, nor is it sex appeal or attractiveness. It's the sheer force of your personality, it's your very soul as a person. Hell, in 3.5 one of the splats had a rule that if you lost your soul it made your Charisma score go away, like you were some kind of personality-less zombie.

Anyway, that's where the power for bards, sorcs and warlocks comes from: the higher the Charisma score, the more powerful their personality is, and thus the stronger the spell.
>>
>>46706593
Not really sure what good fluff abilities I could add that fit the theme. The aura in the original version had a fluff-text part where it was mentioned to cause plants to wither or grow in weird shapes, and give unborn children random deformities. In the very first version the aura was also on by default, and you had to use an action to turn it off.

>>46707307
I believe that for sorcerer at least Cha as casting stat is supposed to represent a vague "force of personality". The more you have, the easier it is to bend magic to your will. For bard it might represent how well they play/sing, since bardic magic is connected to music.
>>
>>46707427

By fluff or RP abilities, he's not talking about a fluff effect tied to a combat ability, he's talking about an ability that is just for non-combat purposes.

Well, here's an idea. Maybe they can create a tiny spawn out of their flesh that could be used for scouting. They can see through its eyes, they can hear what it hears, and then after an hour or so it dies off. You could also give the ability to manipulate very light objects. Like if you're stuck in a prison, the protean could use his tiny flesh spawn to go fetch the key. Or he could use it to spy on a meeting or something. That would be really fucking cool.
>>
Alignment question. My LG paladin executed a man who tortured children by cutting out their tongues and whipping them. The local guard and government was in on this so i couldn't bring him to justice. Did i fuck up by executing him?
>>
>>46707699
Nope. To play lawful good right, good has to override law in every case that they'd clash.
>>
>>46707808
Figuree, thanks.
>>
>>46707820
>>46707808
Corrupt rulers aren't abiding by the law anyway go nuts on them
>>
How many unearthed arcana are there? Got 12 and want to check if I missed any.
>>
>>46707244
Life isn't fair. Unless you want your players to level 2.5x faster don't do it
>>
>>46707829
>go nuts on them

I hope you aren't advocating that his lawful good paladin execute everyone.
>>
>>46707307
At its most basic level, Charisma represents a creature's ability to distinguish itself from things that are not itself. It's your sense of personhood, your ability to think and act on your own.

A character using Intelligence as a casting stat has studied the laws of the universe and has found ways to exploit loopholes or take advantage of certain fundamental principles. When he casts a fireball it's because he's manipulated the laws of reality into creating a fireball.

A character with Wisdom as a casting stat is receiving power from some outside, greater source (gods, ki) and their awareness of the wants and needs of this power is letting them do magic. When he casts fireball it's because he's drawing upon that font of power to create and shape fireball from it.

But a person with Charisma as a casting stat is literally saying to the laws of the universe "this is how it's going to be" and *winning* the argument every time he casts a spell. When he casts fireball he is creating it through sheer force of will.

...you'll note warlocks kind of mess up this idea, but prior to their creation that was always how I rationalized it.

>>46707699
It would have been preferable for him to stand on trial, but, presuming that you had evidence yourself and were personally certain of his guilt, then no, you did not.

Or maybe you did. Whatever. Alignment is the sum of all your actions, not the result of any one action, and your alignment stems from your personality, not the other way around. A Lawful Good character can occasionally perform Neutral, Chaotic, or even minor Evil actions, but still overall be Lawful Good.
>>
>>46702680
I would allow this with the caveat that he has to play a blade esque or angel esque (hell maybe you were cursed with a soul for killing a vistani )good vampire. Maybe hes found his way into barovia to put an end to strahd. Strahd of course wanting someone to replace him as dark lord of the land may try to corrupt the good vampire. Though desu I agree with most here that itll probably end up ruining the setting... its hard for ppl to not play edgemasters when they want to be vampires or werekin or what have you. Plus youd be needing alot of pigs blood
>>
File: Gogeta_ki_1.gif (159 KB, 321x240) Image search: [Google]
Gogeta_ki_1.gif
159 KB, 321x240
>>46707990
>A character with Wisdom as a casting stat is receiving power from some outside, greater source (gods, ki) and their awareness of the wants and needs of this power is letting them do magic.

ki is as "inner power" as it gets and it doesn't really have wants or needs to speak of
>>
Hey so, are there any rules for changing up damage types? Like say that I want to make a scorching ray cold instead of Fire damage?
>>
>>46699775
I have nipples, Greg. Can you mount me?
>>
>>46708087
>Maybe hes found his way into barovia to put an end to strahd
That's pretty much the idea he has. He's always been aware of edgemaster stuff, and he's been very good at not crossing that line, so if that's the main issue then I don't think it'll be a problem.
>>
>>46708278
No. Ask your DM.
>>
>>46707539
That does sound cool. I could probably add that as a second level 2 ability (since the other one is pretty situational anyway). I'd make it count as a spawn so the broodmaster could spend a mutation point when creating it to give it an upgrade, like letting it fly or be stealthy (although it wouldn't be able to attack and would only have 1 hp, so any offensive and defesive upgrades would be wasted).
>>
>>46708244
>ki is as "inner power" as it gets and it doesn't really have wants or needs to speak of

I always viewed Ki as the Force. So it's in everything, it's not distinct to *you*, and a good portion of using ki involves being able to manipulate the ki that surrounds you.

Whereas sorcerers and bards just say "there should be a fireball now", and then there is, because their force of personality is so strong that the universe bends to accommodate them.

Basically it's the same kind of magic/psionics that Orks in Warhammer 40K have, only consciously directed.
>>
Suggest me a boss that'd be good to hit these guys with, all level 4.

F Human GOO tome pact warlock
M Human Devo Pally
M Human EK fighter
M Half-orc war cleric
>>
>>46706132
Design notes-wise, what is this class supposed to be? I.e. wizards are toolkits of everything, sorcs are blasters, rogues are precision strikers and skillmonkeys...
>>
So how decent is a melee Ranger in 5e?
I marathoned OotS in a week and have a soft spot for Belkar
>>
>>46707699
Nope. You're on the sisko side of lawful good, rather than the Picard. Both are equally valid.
>>
>>46708278
no but gives me an interesting idea

maybe I'll throw my PCs into a bizarro world where every kind of damage does nearly its opposite effect.
fireballs are actually cold, and poisons and the like heal people, and heals do damage.

I'm sure its been done before though. Anyone have some suggestions on running with this. I think I'd just leave it up to magical type effects and poisons. As for maybe weapons, weapons that normally do slashing/piercing do bludgeoning and vice versa.
>>
Alright, CoS character guy here again. Without spoiling the campaign, is there any way to make either of these two character concepts work without cheapening the campaign or its effects?

>A doctor that became a Lycan (Blood Hunter archetype) and now travels in search of evil forces to study and research before slaying. A character led by scientific curiosity.

>A Blade-like vampire who came to Barovia to kill Strahd (It should be noted that the Vampire PrC the player wants is unavailable until level 5)

Here are the two classes in question:

The Vampire PrC https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6dc9Cd122MTGdKOHV3Q01PM2s/view?usp=sharing

Order of the Lycan, archetype for Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6dc9Cd122MSFk4dlg3VGxUTmc/view?usp=sharing
>>
>>46708528
>A doctor that became a Lycan (Blood Hunter archetype) and now travels in search of evil forces to study and research before slaying. A character led by scientific curiosity.

This could easily work almost as-is, as a warlock.

>A Blade-like vampire who came to Barovia to kill Strahd (It should be noted that the Vampire PrC the player wants is unavailable until level 5)

No, absolutely not.
>>
>>46708463
It's another "I made a class because it was cool" class. It doesn't really do anything new or unique.

But at least it doesn't fall into the one-player design trap so many others do.
>>
>>46708567
>This could easily work almost as-is, as a warlock.
Are you saying that the only bit that doesn't work is the fact that he's a lycan? If so, I could just play Order of the Mutant instead. It might even fit more with his scientific research angle.

>No, absolutely not.
That's a shame. Is there any possible way at all any sort of vampire character could work?
>>
>>46708463
>>46708633
>It's another "I made a class because it was cool" class.
Exactly. Incidentally, that describes 60% of everything I've homebrewed (the remaining is 20% "I made it because I figured nobody else would" and 20% "I made it because it's a thing in my homebrew setting and I wanted to write rules for it").

Conceptually, it's intended to be a melee class that's decently durable due to hp soaking (high Con and d12 HD, plus the pseudo-DR and for the Broodmaster being able to divide some of the damage between yourself and your minion) despite having poor armor, with the specializations making it better in melee or turning it into a minion-focused class (being able to only use simple weapons is to compensate for also having minions; the Fleshwarper class gets better unarmed attacks and the transformation ability to make up for that).
I was originally going to do a 3rd specialization that would be the Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster equivalent, albeit with a very limited spell selection, plus some abilities centered around an activateable aura, but dropped it due to not beign able to come up with a good solid plan for the abilities.
>>
>>46708651
>That's a shame. Is there any possible way at all any sort of vampire character could work?

Playing a Vampire in a campaign about being the plaything of, and haunted by, THE Vampire is going to cheapen it to a great extent.

Plus, without spoiling too much, there is a point in the campaign where a PC can become a Vampire and it makes you an NPC
>>
>>46708528
Holy shit I just read the blood hunter class. That is such bithchin class I NEED to ask my DM if I can play that.
>>
>>46708921
yeah, that's what I feared. Thanks for the input, I'll let him know.
>>46708926
Right? It's fucking great; I can't wait to play it.
>>
File: 5e art magic.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e art magic.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey guys can you help me flesh out an idea for a magic based class I want to translate over to D&D? I absolutely love spell casters but never found one that "fit" me. Spells like Prestidigitation always excite me thoug because of the freedom they have. This system comes from Burning Wheel and I absolutely love that system but it's too much to teach to the casual players I play with.

I thoroughly enjoy the idea of magic as art so when I learned about this system of magic, I fell in love.

I haven't quite figured out how to flavor it. I was thinking about calling them Authors (placeholder name. In the description of the mechanic I refer to them as Art Magicians. Also placeholder.) and they're not just a statblock but actually a class of people that pulls strings behind the scenes. Most mages adhere to ancient practices that are set in stone. Poorly done magic can result in fines, failed magic can result in banishment and all that.

Authors however discovered that magic wasn't just some skill you spent years of your life on to master. There was a measurable power in gifted, unpredictable magic users.

I thought about also just flavoring them as elementalists to do SOME balancing. Cause otherwise, I could totally see a crafty player power gaming this.

I have the core mechanic in mind but I don't have stats, feats, etc in mind at all. I'm not even sure where to begin with that stuff.

Maybe it'll wind up an NPC only class. I don't need help on the fluff so much as the crunch but feel free to help anywhere you guys have interest! I'm relatively new to Dming so creating classes is extremely new to me. Advice is welcome!

I left a lot of notes with my ideas on it but I have no idea how to convert these mechanics into a specific, usable class in 5th Edition.
>>
>>46708963
Im not going to lie I have never been a fan of 3rd party. But this class has been made to stand on its on nich and does it just well enough to not overshadow the other classes.
>>
>>46708985
Sounds like you should really just play Dungeon World.
>>
>>46709071
Yeah, Mercer's homebrew tends to be pretty good. I like that this doesn't feel like a clone of anything. It has its own unique mechanics that aren't too special snowflakey.
>>
>>46709108
Not sure I follow. I've never looked into Dungeon World. Is there a similar class?
>>
>>46709119
Narratively-described magic is not a good fit for 5e. Spells do a single, discrete thing, but there are lots of them.

Burning Wheel and Dungeon World do the thing you're trying to do, and do it better. If you really want to feel like you're singing magic into being in 5e, play a Bard.
>>
>>46708985
> Bringing back abacus DCs
Why.
>>
>>46709146
That's a bummer. I mean I can see that because it's near impossible to balance. I figured I'd probably wind up making it an NPC only class but I suppose the dream is dead.
>>
>>46707990
>...you'll note warlocks kind of mess up this idea, but prior to their creation that was always how I rationalized it.
Not gonna lie, Int in 5E almost feels like a vestigial stat. If it wasn't for the nerd class being a core part of the system since the original, 0E books, and if it wasn't for half the skills cueing off of it, it would basically not be there; there's like three Int saves in the whole game, you could move bonus languages to Wis or Cha without really hitting a conceptual wall.

It makes sense, in a way; were it not for the skill system and a bunch of academic skills that arguably make sense to tie to a stat that simulate IQ and book learning, it would definitely be a stat that mostly exists for nerd validation, since it's basically an attribute that is virtually useless outside of education systems and trying to figure out learning disabilities.

Part of me actually wishes it would die, mostly just so I'd stop being saddled with shit roleplayers who think "a bit slow" is synonymous with "can't tie his shoes, count to three or make a full sentence", but nothing is going to kill the wizard, and it fills the niche of academic hero (some wizards do it better than others) in a fantasy world.
>>
>>46709146
It would be relatively easy to mod in.

Switch to spell points. Make known spells known effects instead (which, for the record, 5E already does with a lot of old spells). Make spell-shaping tables. The main issue is honestly that it becomes a pain in the ass in actual play and the players will probably just have about 10-20 spells noted down on cards in advance covering most of their favorite bases; Ars has that, and TSR tried it in one of their variant systems before the Wizards buyout.

At the very least it would give sorcerer a stronger niche. At the extreme I'd very likely not allow Wizard to take it; wizard casts ritualistically and by rote.
>>
>>46708528
The hell? The vampire is basically vampire the masquerade for DnD.
I I didn't expect that.
>>
>>46704820
I had a Sun Soul monk who followed Amaunator. He was... interesting. The way I played him was he cared naught for following the laws of any land he is only passing through because he has not entered the social contract with that government. However, he fiercely persecuted criminals who lived in those lands because they enjoy the benefits of the social contract while not fulfilling their side of the deal.

There was one magic item shop where he convinced the owner to give him a reduced price on Bracers of Defense, but was still too high. He later broke in, raided many of the items, but specifically left the BoD. He had agreed upon that price as reasonable, so he felt himself bound to that price. If he saw a local criminal trying to break in, however, he would stop the crime from occurring. He was an odd duck.
>>
>>46708921
That spoiler tag is literally the thing I hate the most, as a DM, about running Ravenloft.

I pretty much gave up on running Hour of the Knife because of this kind of retarded shit.

Also 2E had a supplement for PC undead, Requiem.
>>
If I cast silent image and someone discovers it's an illusion, then I use malleable illusions to change the nature of the illusion, would they know it's an illusion still? Or would it just be like recasting the spell?
>>
>>46709246
That would be the intended outcome. I wouldn't want the class to replace magic options in general. But if a particularly ambitious player wants to really get into character, do some bookkeeping and be creative on the fly, this class would be ideal for them.

I'll definitely look into some of these ideas.
>>
>>46709249
I haven't played that. Is that a good thing?
>>
>>46709283
What, becoming a Vampire via a pact with the dark gods who rule Ravenloft making you an NPC? That shit's perfectly reasonable, it turns you into a monster straight out of the MM when you complete the process.
>>
>>46709311
Check both Ars Magica's magic system, and for something simpler, check a 2E era ruleset called Dragonlance 5th Age. It was mostly shit, but the magic system was intriguing.
>>
>>46709322
Yay it was pretty good. It was made by white wolf, if you ever heard of goth gamers how are all about angst you can thank this game for it.

Honesty I prefer vampire: the requiem. Much more sand box in nature and no metaplot bull shit.
>>
>>46708420
Spirit Naga, Hydra, Githyanki Knight, Frost Giant, Fomorian, T-Rex, Chain Devil, Hezrou, Cloaker.
>>
>>46709356
The Mists being dark gods or really even sentient is pretty much fanon desu; they're a thing but what thing is literally never clarified anywhere.
>>
File: Vampire Prestige Class.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vampire Prestige Class.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46708528
Is this PrC better than this one? I like the theme of the one anon posted better than this one, but I'm a poor judge of what's good and what's not.
>>
>>46709167
>NPC only
Don't fuck about with homebrew classes for players then, just incorporate it into your world. Whilst you _can_ build NPCs using the PC rules it's neither necessary nor the only way to do so, and isn't worth messing about with some homebrew system for. Come up with characters and abilities for those specific characters, or generic DC / roll to hit / damage of effects that they might use.
>>
Started working on the "Underwater Bullshit" stuff (read: aquatic-themed stuff, in large part converting stuff from 3.5).

Sea elves work as an elf subrace without me needing to really change anything from the 3.5 version, except make them properly amphibious (instead of being able to survive above water for an amount of time equal to their Con score). Gave them +1 Con as their secondary ability score increase due to them being one of the few elves in 3.5 that don't have a Con penalty (they got an Int penalty instead). Same weapon proficiency as regular elves, and swim speed of 40 feet and ability to breathe underwater (all straight from the 3.5 version).

Merfolk are really boring, though. They have swim speed and are amphibious, but have shit speed on land. 3.5 version gave them +2 to three different ability scores and no ability score maluses, which was pretty powerful but doesn't really work in 5th edition. So I need to come up with some extra traits. Maybe steal from PF, where they have some alternate racial traits, and/or turn my deep sea version into a subrace.
>>
>>46709408
This version of vampires is much closer to the D&D vampire. So it my preference for sure.
>>
>>46709731
>Same weapon proficiency as regular elves, and swim speed of 40 feet and ability to breathe underwater (all straight from the 3.5 version).
IMO that was an error in 3.5, but a lot of 3.5's racials never made sense to me.

At the very least replace proficiency in bows for proficiency in spears, javelins and tridents, something that will not be horribly wrecked in wet climates.
>>
>>46708651
>This could easily work almost as-is, as a warlock.
>Are you saying that the only bit that doesn't work is the fact that he's a lycan? If so, I could just play Order of the Mutant instead. It might even fit more with his scientific research angle.

pls respond
>>
>>46709799
I've never liked the execution of sea elves. It really just seemed like a hastily bolted-on featureset because they couldn't get people to buy into amphibious merfolk.

I think if I were to do sea elves, I'd nix all the underwater bullshit and focus more on them being masters of the surface. Sleek vessels, arcane weaponry, and somehow managing to still be eerily glamorous despite what salt water does to your hair.
>>
>>46709973
ITT: spergs in need of validation
Talk to your DM.
>>
>>46710078
They haven't had the chance to read it yet (it's being shipped atm) so I was hoping to just see if my character concept worked ahead of time.
>>
>>46709408
1. This is a bad idea, and everyone involved should feel bad about it.

2. This doesn't work that well in Barovia at all. The sunlight weakness doesn't apply, and the Forbiddance class feature over applies or means nothing. If its any occupant can your party members just break into anywhere and say "Come in." If that isn't the case, Strahd is the only person that can invite you into anything for all of Barovia, since its his land.

3. This is all retarded anyway, since there is already a way to become a vampire in 5e, AND IN CURSE OF STRAHD THERE IS SPECIFIC WAY TO BECOME A VAMPIRE. Yes, if the rest of the party isn't vampires it won't be balanced, but neither is the PRC.

4. They broke the rules outlined in the only PRC that was made for 5e already, and changed how the spell slots interact with multiclassing (that is to say, they shouldn't).

5. Seriously, the guy that made the PRC is dumb as hell.
>>
File: guru.jpg (73 KB, 564x798) Image search: [Google]
guru.jpg
73 KB, 564x798
I want to play as a yogi/guru, but I can't decide on a class or how I should build one. I mean monk is a obvious choice but I want to play as a caster. any tips?
and GM doesn't allow psionics
>>
>>46710232
>GM doesn't allow psionics

What a fag
>>
>>46710156
It doesn't work. Talk to your DM anyway.
>>
>>46710268
Alright, I'll just go with Order of the Mutant instead then.
>>
>>46710232
uh, elements monk or fist.
Multiclass with druid, sorc, bard, or warlock.
If warlock a good archfey or even properly flavored GOO can work.

Or go fluid druid entirely. I dunno man, anything can work if you can RP well enough and add reasonable flavor. Shame about psionics though.
>>
>>46710232
Why would your DM not allow psionics?
>>
>>46709986
I perfer them as semi-aquatic, being really good swimmers and able to survive underwater for a long time, but still needing to rise to the surface for air occasionally. Living either on the coast, or in cities built in shallow water so that they're partially submerged for easy access to the ocean (since they get their livelyhood from the ocean).

That's how they are in my setting, and merfolk are an offshoot that diverged from them thousands of years ago and evolved into fully aquatic beings (although merfolk can still breathe air if they need to).
However, I'm just porting the canon version over, with minor changes to make them a bit more playable (and definitely changing the shortbow and longbow proficiency to javelin and trident, because how the fuck do you use bows underwater?).

For the merfolk, I'll have to improvise to actually make them wrok as a PC race. Probably do a few subraces based on different environments: basic (shallow oceanic) variant, a coastal-dwelling one (with slower swim speed but better ability to move on land) and a deep sea variant (pretty much what I've already done. Might have to give them drow's sunlight sensitivity to balance them with the others, although that means they'll have unusually large amount of subrace abilities unless I remove some "fluff" abilities like being able to generate dim light).
>>
Why, in CoS, is the seven year old Vistani girl Arabelle the NPC associated with the "Tempter" tarokka card?
>>
>>46710343
I wasn't really gonna multiclass but I'll look into it
>>46710349
I dunno, guess he doesn't really understand how they work. he just says that they're stupid.
>>
>>46710371
Perkins confirmed closet lolicon.
>>
>>46710412
>I wasn't really gonna multiclass but I'll look into it
Multiclass is decent if your DM doesn't like to stray from RAW and you want to try to capture a concept that doesn't really exist in PHB and supplements.
Monk/druid is a pretty common multiclass and makes a lot of sense thematically with some kind of nature guru that chills on top of a mountain or in the woods.
>>
File: J81DiOd.png (215 KB, 377x485) Image search: [Google]
J81DiOd.png
215 KB, 377x485
>>46710412
pic related, it's your DM

What an insufferable sounding faggot
>>
>>46710232
Knowledge Cleric, possible/not required levels in monk.

>>46710249
> not allowing players to use incomplete playtest materials makes you a fag
Guess I'm gay as a tangerine, then.
>>
>>46710488
I'm not really sure how shapeshifting druid would work as a yogi-mystic. I mean I get what you're saying but that would require re-fluffing the whole druid class
>>
>>46710530
It depends on your yogi-mystic.
Turn into an animal to feel more at one with nature.
Literally become rafiki. Your background is hermit, and you had a vision of the next king.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH SEEEEWEEEEENYAAAAA BAAAAABAAAAAHIIIITTTII BABA

Just an idea.
>>
>>46710511
I actually went and checked the psionic for 5e and it had lvlprogression only for 5 levels. can't really blame the guy
>>
>>46710530
Druid is the easiest way to be a Yogi because they can wildshape into a bear at like level 3.
>>
>>46710579
Nothing beats ripping off Disney themes.
Circle of life, and shiet mayne
>>
>>46710609
kek
>>
>>46710579
>>46710609
Didn't really think about playing it as a shapeshifter but the idea is slowly growing on me.
>>
>>46710649
And remember it's up to you how much you focus on shape shifting.
You can be a circle of the land druid and focus more on spell casting than shape shifting.
>>
>>46710585
It's got 10 now, and some of the mechanics are different from the 5 level version.
>>
>>46710585
It goes until 10th level now

Even though it's not an official supplement I feel as though its balanced enough to allow PCs to take levels in it
>>
>>46710667
I think GOO warlock would also work. maybe with tome or chain pact. Gurus are often charismatic speakers/teachers or scam artists
>>
>>46710671
>>46710668
Let's be real, most parties that start at level one still aren't even going to get to five before everything falls apart. Ten is just teasing.
>>
>>46708985
No, this is absolute garbage. Nothing about this is a good idea. If you want to play a system that isn't 5e, do it. Don't try to cram it into 5e.
>>
>>46710744
Yup, that's what I was thinking as well.
They tapped into some cosmic force through some means. Warlock multiclasses very well with lots of shit as well because it has so many good front loaded abilities.
>>
>>46710518
yeah,knowledge-cleric is a possibility but I'm not personally really fond of the lvl2 perk. we haven't bothered with tools yet at any point really
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.