[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that guy that ALWAYS tries to min-max when specifically asked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 9
File: tired-man-18986506.jpg (30 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
tired-man-18986506.jpg
30 KB, 300x450
>that guy that ALWAYS tries to min-max when specifically asked not to
>he looks for the most broken homebrew crap and keeps harassing the gm until he allows it
>then he uses the same background and look he uses for all his characthers
>first thing he does in-game is try to PK

Fuck people like this.
>>
>>44363273
Post your players' current PC sheets, OP

What's that, you can't because reasons?
>>
I too would be interested to know more details. Fuck the police OP, show us that shit.
>>
>>44363273
I am glad I have never encountered these sorts of people. I've been playing for over a decade though, I half believe these people are myth.
>>
>>44363273
I'm not sure I can believe you'd put up with this guy doing it more than once.
>>
>>44363308
Not him but we had a guy exactly like this a few years back.

We were running a small dungeon crawl game because we had half the time for a normal session. Had to call bullshit when he had a 41 AC as rogue at level 10. He was using a homebrew version of Unarmoured Defense, several homebrew items and a homebrew version of humans he had gotten a DM to approve of in another game.

On top of that, he was a gesalt rogue/ranger build that had some ridiculous version of Favored Enemy that gave the bonuses from it applied to everything. He proceeded to literally screech for 5 minute intervals until one player had enough and threw him outside.
>>
>>44363273
You did kick him, right?
>>
>>44363787
>He proceeded to literally screech for 5 minute intervals until one player had enough and threw him outside.

Are you using the modern definition of literal or did he sustain a screech for five consecutive minutes
>>
>>44363273
I'll take things that never happened for $200 thanks.
>>
>>44363826
He got the first five minutes out, went to start another and the player picked him up and threw him through the screen door.

The rest of us were just amazed that a 26 year old man would act like a toddler to act.
>>
>>44363273
It's the DM's fault for caving.
>>
>>44363826

I fucking hate that there's a 'modern' definition of literal which means the literal opposite of literal. Fuck teenage girls.
>>
>>44363857
The non-literal definition of literal is at least a century old, it just wasn't super common until recently.
>>
>>44363857
Anon, the literal definition of "literal" means "literary" or "fanciful"
>>
File: 1378029173918.png (151 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
1378029173918.png
151 KB, 309x309
>>44363273
I knew someone like this, OP. Seriously, fuck these people.

>whines and begs to use the only official materials that were specifically disallowed for story and balance reasons
>promises to be reasonable about it, turns around and minmaxes as hard as he can
>claims he can't stop himself from powergaming, it's just impossible guys I'm so sorry
>makes the most retarded nonsensical backstories to justify the characters' ridiculous hodge-podge of abilities
>later we find out he's terrified of his PCs being in any real danger, tries to stat them so that they're functionally unbeatable
>vigorously resists any attempts at rebalancing
>gets promised a retarded upgrade down the line to shut him up, constantly tries to drag the game in that direction no matter what the party wants to do
>later joins one of our games just to try and sabotage it like the passive-agressive little faggot he was

Powergamers/minmaxers are the scum of the earth. I haven't met a single one who wasn't a selfish conniving bastard.
>>
>>44363308
Or made be he suspects his group views /tg/ occasionally.
>>
>>44363857
>Fuck teenage girls.

Ok
>>
>>44364049
So you're saying he's either a liar who doesn't have a group, or he's too passive-aggressive to confront his players about their poor behavior.

>>44364072
Teenage girls are gross bro. Anime has lied to you.
>>
>>44364072

I only just stopped being a teenager a couple years ago. You're right, they're gross.
>>
>>44364099

>Teenage girls are gross bro

Only if you cut them open. I stopped doing that.
>>
>>44363273
>>44364047
Both these stories have two problem people in them. The powergamer, and the GM who lets the powergamer use the stuff that the GM knows is broken.

Screwing up at letting the broken stuff in a few times is one of those mistakes a GM needs to learn from. But if they keep letting it happen then I'd start looking for a better GM.

>promises to be reasonable about it, turns around and minmaxes as hard as he can
>claims he can't stop himself from powergaming, it's just impossible guys I'm so sorry
>makes the most retarded nonsensical backstories to justify the characters' ridiculous hodge-podge of abilities
>later we find out he's terrified of his PCs being in any real danger, tries to stat them so that they're functionally unbeatable

If I was the GM there, I'd probably tell the powergamer: "You said you would be reasonable. You now claim that you can't resist powergaming. Surely you must understand why that looks like you were lying to me."

As for his character, I'd have a chat with him about how I'll be removing it from the game next session and his replacement.
>>
>>44364794
Second guy you replied to here. In a perfect world where we all have an easy pick of players, this would be nice and all, but that's not how it actually works. The fact of the matter is that you scrounge what you can find. Thank God I did find a better group eventually, but it took a while.

Meanwhile, I did both of these things you suggest. And more. The problem is that these "solutions" assume the player in question is at all reasonable or has a fucking soul.

Tell him to make another character? It's equally as or even more retarded than the last. Tell him no, do another one, and he keeps on going until you decide, "fine, at least this one isn't /quite/ as completely moronic as the others."

Call him out on his lying? Whine, bitch, blame shift, etc. Never take responsibility. Oh, and this is the point where he decided to sabotage the game with his antics.

I tried to be reasonable, anon. That's what allowed all this shit to happen.
>>
>>44364960
>I tried to be reasonable, anon. That's what allowed all this shit to happen.

Well, I hoped you learned your lesson: Kick out problem players with extreme prejudice.
>>
>>44363273
Nobody's forcing you guys to invite him.
>>
>>44365213
you don't know that.
>>
Most people I play with are natural powegamers, but they tend to have good backgrounds and balance things out for RP. They just happen to be really good at optimizing their build. It has its good and bad sides.
Minmaxers/powegamers as others described I never had to deal with, but stories about them make me dread looking out of my regular group even when they're all busy and I have an urge to game.
>>
File: 1446334842748.gif (386 KB, 260x300) Image search: [Google]
1446334842748.gif
386 KB, 260x300
Why is it whenever I ban anything, there's always that one player who wants to play it? I don't even have to ban it, I just have to say that it's uncommon, or rare, or that the common folk hate it, or that they're persecuted and deeply unpopular. There's always gotta be that one contrarian turbonerd who is just dying to play that one exact thing that I don't want in my game, whether it's banned for balance or thematic reasons.

Is this strictly a D&D 3.5 / PF thing? I've only ever experienced it while running games in that system and never in anything else. Is it 3.pf's book bloat that caused this? Why does this fucking type of player always crawl out of the fucking woodwork as soon as something isn't allowed? Who are these people? Where do they come from, and why do they exist? Why are they so hard to get rid of, and how do they disguise themselves as reasonable people so well, only to reveal themselves the second something is banned?
>>
>>44368928
Some people like the challenge.
>>
>>44365078
I'm hesitant to become this kind of GM, just because I've seen some jumpy bastards who took it way too far.

There was this one guy who was either really brittle or somewhere on the autism spectrum. I disagreed with him on a few minor points as a player but was perfectly fine with deferring to him. He took that as a passive aggressive insult and kicked me and a friend I'd brought along without warning. His closing rant (which we couldn't respond to, since we were doing this over roll20 and Skype and he'd blocked us on both platforms) came off as histrionic and snide. I don't think that game lasted much longer unless the other players were overly apologetic bootlickers of the highest order. It would have been impossible to go five minutes without pissing him off over some minor thing.

And he's why I always try to negotiate.
>>
File: 1448382553402.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1448382553402.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>44369044
The only thing they challenge is my fucking patience for their stupid fucking bullshit.
>>
>>44369086
That's exactly the thing, these are the same people who'll ignore obvious plot hooks just to spite a GM.
>>
File: 1449799973630.png (151 KB, 449x442) Image search: [Google]
1449799973630.png
151 KB, 449x442
>>44369197
>they do it on purpose
I should kill them and eat them
>>
>>44368928
It's not just 3.X folks, but I do think it's somewhat endemic for d20 games. I'm not sure why that is, but these sorts of people I've had never really wanted to play any other type of system.
>>
GM's need to gitgud. And tell your players to gitgud too (but help them with optomizing their build, at first). If your players are mechanically more skilled than you, you need to limit allowed books to something you can manage and learn how to optomize within that frame of reference.
I hardened my players in the fires of TPK-level encounters. Once I killed the first character, I noticed that everyone put a lot more work into being mechanically powerful. And now the combats are a lot more satisfying, to the point where my level 6 E6 players genuinely feel like they live in a cardboard world. I hit them with well optimized CR+2 encounters now and expect them to survive, and they actually do, and its great.
>>
>>44365078
When getting 3 players together is hard enough in your small shitty town, that's something you avoid.
>>
Related stroy maybe? I'm not an RPGer but I go to the local comic shop to paint 40k and shoot shit with the owner. And these group of kids are playing pathfinder and this one kid is saying shit like "I'm a half Angel half demon and can turn statues to life and immortal armor" or some shit. I'm thinking to mtself "kid shut up" and the owner says aloud "pathfinder is a game meant for teamwork, not boasting and one uping about powers that you'll never get"
>>
>>44363841
>muh /tg/ bogeyman!!
What the fuck is wrong with people like you? Do you expect someone to just jump out from behind your monitor and go "GOTCHA!" ?
>>
>>44369344
I would if I could.
>>
>>44363273

>IT'S THE SYSTEM'S FAULT
>I CAN'T BE WORSE THAN ANYONE
>CASTERS ARE UNFAIR
>REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>44368928
It's kind of like the "White Elephant Problem."
You tell someone not to think of white elephants and their brains sort of rebels, "Why wouldn't I think of White Elephants."

And then they're thinking of the Majestic bastards and can't quite stop.

Its like that, but with RPG archetypes.
>>
File: WOTC explained.png (145 KB, 830x974) Image search: [Google]
WOTC explained.png
145 KB, 830x974
>>44369394
>>IT'S THE SYSTEM'S FAULT
>>I CAN'T BE WORSE THAN ANYONE
>>CASTERS ARE UNFAIR
>>REEEEEEEEEEE
Ivory Tower apologists go and stay go.
Just because you got shoved in lockers as a kid doesn't mean that Conan should be an ineffectual twat while your self-insert is effectively a god.
>>
>>44369464
Wew lad, dat projection.
>>
>>44369464
>he has an image to justify his autism.

how special!
>>
Oh god I know a person like this. Dude's a complete piece of shit too. Says he can't help it and it's just his nature to build bullshit opped/minmaxed characters like this, and always tries to grab as many PrCs and early entry cheese shit as he can get. Dude builds characters to rollplay, never bothers with background details until AFTER hes done and hates low level characters because they dont get to use all the broken cheese shit. I turned down one of the more insanely bullshit builds he had (bunch of one-level dips in classes then straight cleric levels) when his story for his character was "He just goes around and keeps to himself". His comeback was something along the lines of "I don't want to be a stock character, I might as well be playing an NPC!" or something fucking retarded because GOD HELP YOU IF SOMEONE JUST WANTS YOU TO MAKE A SENSIBLE FUCKING CHARACTER AND CONSIDER THEIR BACKSTORY INTO HOW THEY BECAME THE CLASSES THEY ARE FUCK YOU SO MUCH YOU GOD DAMN FAIRWEATHER """"FRIEND"""" FUCK YOU AND THAT SKANK HO YOU KEEP TRYING TO INTRODUCE TO THE GAME SHE DOESNT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT AND I DONT LIKE HER WANDERING AROUND MY HOUSE UNATTENDED.

also fuck these captchas are annoying as shit tonight, "CLICK THE STREET SIGNS" "NOPE YOU NEED TO DO IT AGAIN :^)" (x4)
>>
>>44369520

Does he say shit like "OF COURSE I PICKED FLY AND INVIS THEY ARE THE GREATEST WHY WOULD I GIMP MYSELF LOLOLOL?"

Because that's what this faggot represents >>44369464
>>
>>44369520

That guy is /tg/ in a nutshell.

>>44350365
>>
it's this thread again
>>
>>44369565
No this time the sensible people outnumber the minmaxing jerks.
>>
>>44369533
Yeah, he does. If he makes a melee character it's always either some kind of shock trooper falchion user or a scythe wielding edgelord, and if he's using a caster it's almost always going to wind up being dual-progression PRC with early-entry cheese trying to get alternate spell source divine metamagic and persistent spell. One of my favorite excuses he's made was "I just want to have this character but ill hold back but just incase the group is in trouble..." and then immediately goes and outshines everyone else in combat. It got so bad that one time the other PCs just literally stood in the hallway and let him do all the fighting because why not? I warned him if he did it again there'd be dire consequences. Well...

Combat starts ANKLET OF TRANSLOCATION FULLATTACK
>"give me a reflex check"
>roll
>"oh, well turns out the room's got an illusory floor, you just fell down into the depths below and are swept by the under channel back outside through the drains."

dude fucking sperged out hard at the table and pissed everyone off, got to throwing verbal abuse and whatnot so I told him to get the fuck. Ruined the game session, nobody else wanted to play after he left, checked my phone next morning and the lil shit left a series of hate messages, apologize messages and begging to come back messages over the course of a six hour span. I really don't like this guy playing at the table - It sucks because he used to be a pretty chill dude but since he got with his chick he's changed, and I fucking don't like who he's become at all.

>inb4 "nice blog"
>>
>>44369610
>"oh, well turns out the room's got an illusory floor, you just fell down into the depths below and are swept by the under channel back outside through the drains."
You did this?
Why?
I mean, he's a douche, but why do this?
>>
Everyone please repeat the /tg/ mantra.

No game is better than a bad game.

>>
>>44369629
because I told him to let the other players have a chance to do something for once, he still wanted to be a goddamn jackass and trivialize everything and not let anyone do it. God forbid the guy who's got truesight have a chance to spot the obvious (to him) trap in the room, but NOPE just gonna immediately start jumping ahead of the DM before he has a chance to even inform the other players of what he's doing and start rolling your attack dice.
>>
>>44369658

I approve of your choice.

Fuck everyone who disagrees.
>>
>>44369658
Fair enough.
>>
>>44369636
I've got a friend who I suspect might be a masochist, because he keeps ending up in shitty games with shitty players and he just won't leave them. He tells me about the minmaxing and powergaming and clique behaviour and favouritism and the creepy shit these people get up to, and all I can ask is "Why are you still with them?" And he never has a satisfactory answer.
>>
>>44369726
it's because he's a desperado and needs his d20 fix. He's got a problem, you need to give him an intervention.
>>
>>44369743
>he's a desperado and needs his d20 fix.

>"I GOTTA ROLL, MAN."
>"JIM, NO!"
>"I HAVE AN INITIATIVE OF 19! DO I GO FIRST?"
>>
>>44369610
Lol well at least you didn't kill his character and just sort of moved him.
>>
>>44369636
This isn't true though. I sometimes purposely stay in stupid games to glean fun stories for telling later. All I need to do is glance through roll20 and bam. For finding terrible groups it never fails.

But as a GM, yeah, a bad game is hell.
>>
File: 1441890663801.jpg (13 KB, 480x468) Image search: [Google]
1441890663801.jpg
13 KB, 480x468
>running a game for playtesting while making a homebrew system
>one of the players is constantly spending hours upon hours "planning" his character
>every time the result is that he makes some ludicrous minmax combo that relies on abusing the included fate point system
>said system is explicitly stated in the book to be a meta mechanic that the characters should not be treated as being aware of
>in particular combining traits that act with low health with a usage of multiple fate points that allows a character to survive with 1 HP once per session
>his character constantly acts like she knows she's going to be able to do shit like tank hits that she can't
>specifically talk to them about this out of character at one point and try to resolve it politely
>they continue this shit anyway
>make edits to said traits to make them less able to be abused while still being beneficial to those using them legitimately
>said player starts crying that their stuff is worthless even though it isn't because it just means that getting a second wind doesn't make them invulnerable
>the entire game becomes an endless string of said player trying to rules lawyer me, the guy making the system and running the game because I keep cockblocking their minmax bullshit

The only reason I didn't kill their character and kick them was because by virtue of being such an annoying fuckhead, they found the most exploitable things in the game and thus allowed me to patch them out.
>>
>>44369835
This is pretty much the only thing That Guys are good for.
>>
>>44369857
Yep. But goddamn if it isn't still the most frustrating shit. At one point, this guy was borderline spamming messages at me while I was at work crying because I wouldn't let him use a fate action to stay in battle when his character should have been knocked out.

The wording was specifically that it could only be activated after a character was knocked out of a fight, and in this case, the fight being 1v1, it would have meant that the fight was already over. I didn't even have to fix anything, his reading comprehension is just so fucking bad that it almost seems like he ignores lines in the rulebook that don't suit his purposes.

Here's another one not from that game.

>both of us are players in a DH campaign
>we're all buying weapon attachments
>he says he wants Extra Grip attachments for his pistols
>GM says he can't
>he starts going on about "But it says that they can be attached to any Basic weapon! The description even calls them Pistol grips!"
>the GM, myself, and 2 other players spend the better part of an hour explaining that Basic and Pistol are separate weapon categories and that an attachment being available for all Basic weapons does not make it available for Pistols
>>
>>44369835
I'm sure that was annoying but like you said, you were playtesting homebrews and the player found an exploit. Te only real problem is the guy autistically complaining about it after.
>>
>>44369610
You sound like a real winner to me. You deliberately fuck over one player because the other players are lazy and just want to let one guy do all the work? Fuck you. If the other players don't want to get on the same level with their group leader then they deserve to be treated like filth until they get their shit in order. Instead of showing the other players that they too can be awesome and cool and strong like your supposed "that guy" you chose to be a pussyfooted bitch and skirt around the real issue: that your players are obviously not interested enough in the game to do five minutes of research or thinking to try to come up with good combinations that work together to help maximize the efficiency of the party. Fuck you, and nice blog you fucking twit.
>>
>>44369926
It sounded more like he was telling one dude to bugger off because they wanted to help but one guy was eating the whole encounter.
But given your tone and, I guess, your attitude towards minmaxing, I don't suppose you could have come to that conclusion from your perspective.
Also, it's not a cooperative game if nobody gets to cooperate because the floor got cleaned in one go by one person.
>>
>>44369979
Anon, that is a bait post. Not even powergamers are that deluded. Please, ignore the bait post in future. They will eventually go away hopefully.
>>
>>44370015
Poe's Law, my friend.
And the fact that this place accepts all takers.
>>
>>44369979
>hurr hurr hurr im fucking retarded
>wut no i have to be a spechul snow flake and get participation trofys
fuck you. You are the kind of guy who thinks everyone should be a winner and that its perfectly OK to fail. Why should one player be forced to hold back and not have fun just because the other players are being lazy little shits? Why not just boot them and find people willing to step it up and play the game the way it's meant to be played? You wouldn't get that at all, judging by your tone.

>>44370015
>BAIT BOOGEYMAN!
not everyone is a fucking fisherman you paranoid tinfoiled hat wearing cuck. I bet you're one of those lazy shitters who just wants their hand held and free welfare gold and magic items dumped all over them, aren't you, fuccboi.
>>
File: 1387683129191.jpg (147 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
1387683129191.jpg
147 KB, 500x271
>>44363273
>join a freeform/rule-solid hybrid game
>everyone takes turns GMing quests
>world lore is collectively built within some basic rules
>lasted a long time, had a good run
>was started and run by a passively-agressive "nice guy" with very apparent self-esteem issues
>in reality was controlled by his narcissistic turbo-nerd friend
>both way more rpg experienced than anyone else, everyone deferred to them
>openly mocked any character concept or action they didn't approve of
>constant barrage of "jokes" at everyone else's expense
>all of turbo-nerd's characters existed to parrot his opinions in-character and mock anyone who disagreed
>"nice guy" got incredibly defensive the moment anyone pointed out the stupid shit going on with his own characters
>both of them invented new abilities that were noticeably better than the starting set everyone had already drawn from
>endlessly nerfed the older abilities for "balance reasons" but never touched their own
>game was eventually destroyed when turbo-nerd changed the dynamic of the game, sat around on his thumbs for months, and then fucked over a few older players to cater to some newer ones

I don't know where these sorts of people come from.
>>
>>44370031
>freeform
*teleports behind you* IT WAS ONLY A HOLOGRAM :^) *unsheaths katar*
>>
>>44370043
That much was never allowed to happen, since we had an actual battle system with rules and limits. It was serviceable if very stripped down. But it did keep the retarded shit limited to the younger players just acting out anime tropes at each other.
>>
>>44370028
Right. Shove it up your ass.
The way the game is 'meant to be played' differs from group to group, you fucking autist.
Your buzzwords show a lack of fucking understanding, or caring, of what anyone else wants at all, so I'm not surprised that you think one guy should dictate the whole group's playstyle.
What if I told you that I was playing a "roleplaying" character who has no mechanical benefits to most of his choices, and that if your way of building a character isn't exactly my style of building a character, you're not playing the game right and the DM should ask you to leave while we talk with the king over tea about how much he's going to pay us for killing those orcs we're *eventually* going to deal with and what a lovely goddamn porch he has?
Do you think that's fun?
Does your character enjoy the tea?
>"If you can't give a five-sentence explanation of the character's state of mind, you're not engrossed enough and should leave."
That's what you fucking sound like.
If you seriously think there's only one way to play Dungeons and Dragons, you're fucking delusional.
>>
>>44370028

>that guy
>>
>>44370028
You seem excessively angry and are not conveying your points in any logical or coherent manner. Instead it is like I am reading the ramblings of a madman who suffers from chronic incontinence.
>>
Holy shit /tg/ is great
>>
>>44370312
I agree.
You seem nice.
>>
>>44369273
You are the abomination that creates these shitters. I hate you. Gods above, do I hate you.
>>
>>44363857
I discussed this on /tg/ a while back.
And I was in the wrong.
There is no 'modern' definition, there is just using the word figuratively, which although incredibly stupid, is perfectly valid.
What you are actually saying in your post is, "I fucking hate when people say this stupid thing."
That is fine.
I just wanted you to be informed.
Party on.
>>
>>44370082
You are a faggot. Merry Christmas.
>>
I'm reading all these terrible stories and it makes me feel good about my group of equal balance of all players from the rpg spectrum. Is anyone else happy with their group?
>>
>>44372442

I'm pretty damn happy with my group, and therefore I don't really have any stories, outside of the fap schedule guy.
>>
>>44374199
>outside of the fap schedule guy

You added this intentionally because you wanted someone to ask you about it. Don't fish for a request, just post the damn story anon.
>>
>>44363273
>when specifically asked not to

Quick, DON'T think about pink-and-purple elephants. Nope, just stop.
>>
>>44363308
>losing your sheets so often you have to give your character sheets to your GM
I know it says 12+ on most games but I only play with adults
>>
>>44376080
>thinking = writing down characteristics and planning out a character for at least a several session long game up into months of that character
Yeah, nah, fuck off with that faggotry
>>
>>44363308
Now anon, I know your internet girlfriend turned out to be a guy, but do try to keep your prejudice in check.
>>
I'll admit it: I optimize my characters within parameters determined by their backstory and concept. That said, I try not to upstage anyone, I tend more towards support and backup roles. No matter what my character is capable of, he only cuts loose if everyone else is already unconscious, disabled, or dead.
>>
>>44369464
Maybe I'm a bad neckbeard, but that sporty fellow is quite freindly for a jock. The ones I put up with tried to knock standing lockers onto me in what I can only assume was a misguided assasination attempt. Nice guy though. Turns out he had a few issues of his own, and I absolve him completely.
>>
>>44363273
>once met a guy who would instantly insult you to your face if you ever tried to talk about something he didn't like
>mention lunch one day
>he instantly blows up and starts screaming insults at me because he doesn't want to talk about lunch
>point out that he is not forced to talk about it
>"well at least i am insulting you to your face instead of behind your back"
>the fuck?

How can someone possibly be this autistic?
>>
File: wargamer.jpg (78 KB, 529x318) Image search: [Google]
wargamer.jpg
78 KB, 529x318
>>44370028
>>
>>44370312
>>44370385
good guys, you both
>>
>>44376043
>you asked :^)
>>
>>44371424
>>44370385
>>44379312
I feel like these three posts should be screencapped together
>>
>>44366296
This. 2 of my regular group are big-time powergamers, such that the rest of us have to shelve some of our character ideas and come up with one that will have some semblence of balance with them. And yet, they're great RPers, give good amounts of decent backstory and are generally fun to play with. But goddamn, it gets annoying.
>>
>DM for pathfinder
>Using a table at the local FLGS
>Player hands in his barbarian sheet (22pt. point buy).
>Max strength and Constitution along with high dexterity and a 7 in everything else
>No background and is built solely for combat with no skills that aren't combat related.
>Didn't even name his barbarian and obviously cheated on the starting gold/equipment.
>I obviously disapprove of the sheet and tell him to make a different one with suggestions to round his character out.
>He goes on a bitch fit about how I'm unfair and stifle creativity.
>Just tell him to join a different group since our play styles seem to be wildly different.
>Dude walks over to the manager and bitches about me while I can clearly hear him.
>Manager takes my side and the situation is resolved with some uncomfortable customers and a grumbling min/maxer.
>>
>>44369906
>Pistols with extra grips

Too tacticool to handle.
>>
>>44378897
>rest of the group has to revolve their character concepts around two other players

Fuck these black hole player types. No one is entitled to hijacking their whole fucking group. We had a player like this in one of our games, only instead of mechanics bullshit the whole plot revolved around his character's backstory. Problem is, the guy was a chronic bitcher who demanded that he be there for every plot development involving his character. Then he fucked off elsewhere session after session after the GM bent over backwards for him. So we were stuck doing sidequests because he couldn't get his schedule shit together. The game died because of him.
>>
>playing game
>find manifest of magic items and am a thing that can make them
>start shitting them out to make myself and others better
>find items that make my guy real good and I have the resources to do it
>player says I'm minmaxing for trying to make my character better
>different campaign
>same guy complains when I talk about trying to make something effective to help us
And this is why every time I hear someone say "MINMAXER!" I disregard their opinion.
>>
>>44370028
Fucking highschoolers...
>>
>>44363787

>GM too lazy to restrict materials
>GM too lazy to inspect sheets before the game
>allowing someone to bring a charsheet from another game

You idiots are the fucking problem. These are literally the source of ALL problems with the hobby, and if you'd simply refuse to play with these assholes, we wouldn't have nearly the reputation that we do.

>>44363852

>screen door

Oh, you're white trash. Explains a lot.
>>
>>44384764
>screen door
>white trash
mosquito poster pls go
I have a wooden door right behind my screen door and you cant come in so go ahead fly into that really bright porch light you blood sucking bastard
>>
>>44384764
>Dissing screen doors

Fuck you m8, those things are a godsend around late spring/early summer. What sort of prancing faggot doesn't like occasionally shutting off the AC and letting fresh air and the occasional waft of cut grass and honeysuckle drift through their house on a lazy afternoon?
>>
>>44385058
>What sort of prancing faggot doesn't like occasionally shutting off the AC and letting fresh air and the occasional waft of cut grass and honeysuckle drift through their house on a lazy afternoon?

Yankees. Yankees and communists.Occasionally even Yankee communists.
>>
>>44385058
Mate am an aussie without ac at home and a screen door is fucking tops. I can hear possoms and koalas fighting a night while keeping out mosquitoes and flys
>>
>>44385144
>Yankees and communists
>redundant
>>
>>44385171
Who wins the fights? My money is on the koalas.
>>
>That guy who, every single time, has his power gaming character try to backstab everyone for power.

It got so bad that after he tried to betray not only his allies but two groups of Big Bads one just killed him, revived, and Darth Vadered him just to make sure he couldn't try and derail things anymore.
>Proceeds to bring out back up character which is basically just like him.

The only reason he wasn't kicked out is because his constant attempts to futilely beat the DMPCs never gets old.
>>
>>44385171
>hear possoms and koalas fighting

So lots of hissing and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oLu7znwQ0 ?
>>
>>44369636
Goddamn I am so glad I got an awesome fucking group on the 2nd try from /tg/. Cap, Caboose, Doppler and Taco. I wouldn't trade you boys for the world
>>
>>44364259
yeah, not worth the effort of cutting them up when they make such a big mess and rarely, RARELY do I get paid for it
I did it once or twice for fun, never again
>>
My first 3 DMs were brutally lethal and unforgiving.

Now I have a nigh-irresistable compulsion to minmax the entire party to not giving the DM a chance to slaughter us.

Send help, I just want to roleplay but the compulsion does not fade
>>
>>44385709
I might suggest trying a system in which it is very difficult to min-max. Such as Fate.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.