[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programmable Matter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: programmable matter.png (171 KB, 553x400) Image search: [Google]
programmable matter.png
171 KB, 553x400
Ever heard of programmable matter, /sci/?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_matter

I was wondering how I could conduct said material at home?

https://youtu.be/t41BiBCJyc4

This video claims it used active graphene-based paper with programmed gradients but I have no experience in that.

How do I do it, /sci/?
>>
self bump
>>
self bump
>>
>>7663549
Mostly it's just popsci kinda shit. It's pretty much just based on thermal expansion of different materials along a surface. It's nothing all that new, honestly. They just made it out of graphene to get on I fucking love science.
>>
>>7663656
Alright, can you tell me how to do it within the comfort of my home?
>>
>>7663594
Kek no. That's gonna be obsolete soon. Heat powered programmable matter, BAH! We'll soon have programmable matter directly powered by light. Heat engines suck.

Besides you can't really make this in your home. Did you even read the materials and methods section for the paper about it?
>>
>>7663687
I just got the document on the experiment. The material is being directly controlled by light thus making heat. It's not just heat powered.
>>
>>7663695
that's a heat engine, HEAT ENGINES SUCK
>>
>>7663700
But... why senpai?
>>
>>7663717
Well because our good friend Carnot says they can only be so efficient. Heat is harder to control than light. IE heat spreads. With light you can potentially get subwavelength resolution
>>
>>7663723
>subwavelength resolution
What? How? One would assume the resolution would be har vapped by wavelength. Does it use different wavelengths at the same time and if so how is that "subwavelenght"?
>>
>>7663665
Get some aluminum foil and some tin foil (or any non-aluminum foil, them being separate types of metal is important) then glue two the same length together, you'll want around a foot or two. Then heat the whole thing up by around 100 degrees Celsius. You'll notice they curl up as a result of one expanding more due to thermal expansion than the other metal does.

This is similar to the effects of the OP, however that one used graphene sheets instead of metal, since carbon has a pretty high specific heat.
>>
File: subwavelength1.gif (45 KB, 578x313) Image search: [Google]
subwavelength1.gif
45 KB, 578x313
>>7663737
I don't understand your question what the fuck does har vapped even mean?

So kid, you know how they make computer chips? Well in order to make chips you gotta expose photoresist using light. Thing is light is big, so you gotta do some weird voodoo to make features smaller than the wavelength of light used.

Yes you use one wavelength. Although for photochemical programmable matter using molecular photoswitches it can get more interesting. Photoswitches can typically be switched between two or more different states using different wavelengths of light. So can get the material to expand where you want it to and contract where you want it too.

Well things get even more interesting! The wavelength the photoswitches respond too, should depend on the local stress applied to them, because the change in energy required to switch changes with stress. Or at least that's what we think...
>>
Just so all of you posters are aware that red flash in the video is a heat lamp. You know IR radiation?

Now can you please have a more detailed argument about "light vs heat" in context of a system use IR to directly active a heat engine or other systems?

And also someone explain how light is some how better?
>>
>>7664164
Is there any nonindustrial glue you can recommend that will hold at 100 degrees?
>>
Piezo materials are programmable matter surely?
And using a voltage makes much more sense than heat
>>
>>7664198
HEAT SPREADS. Heat is harder to control. With heat you gotta deal with convection and shit which moves heat around. And you gotta deal with what the ambient temperature is and what not.

I work on programmable matter motherfucker!
>>
File: metrics-that-matter.png (15 KB, 596x345) Image search: [Google]
metrics-that-matter.png
15 KB, 596x345
>>7664274
So have I, but I don't see the need for all caps or profanity. Yes heat spreads which does make for a unique set of challenges, but other method have their own problems.

I used a proprietary ceramic lining as one of the layers to increases control over heat flow while increasing other desired proprieties. Once we started tailoring it more carefully we got even greater flexibility because it acts like oily sand and the fibrous grains gently slide rather then crack, other layers are responsible for the majority of the structural loading. As long as it does not under go any significant tension loading perpendicular to that plan it is very durable, which is not expected in the application and mitigated by the geometry.

Other setups I have worked on such as such as integrated solar cells, direct electric current and chemical activators, just to name a few all have stated higher efficiency. But have lower actually performance results in most cases along with lower application efficiencies. In fact the thermal response unit I was working on was a side project to the more promising electric response unit that the project started with. But at the two year review deadline guess which one had higher performance and over all application efficiencies?

Thermal, not because on was inherently better somehow. But because final application metrics dictates the winners, and ours could tap into the the others systems waste heat while the electric one had to be actively cooled to maintain proper electrical conductivity to preform. But you would be surprised to find so many sources of waste heat one can tap into making thermal types competitive in many cases.
>>
>>7664516
You better not be one of those MIT media lab peo0le who publish in art journals. Application we have in mind is huge actively controlled telescope mirror
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.