[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the first time I visit this board. Just as a theoretical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: breathing_mask.jpg (285 KB, 1276x534) Image search: [Google]
breathing_mask.jpg
285 KB, 1276x534
This is the first time I visit this board.

Just as a theoretical question...
What would happen to human body, if it would have a fully-inclosed facial respiratory system (with proper athomspheric modulation) AND if it would be exposed the vacuum of space?

That is: what would happen, if you would have a functional breathing mask in space?
>>
You mean like a space suit but without the suit? It would be extremely painful
>>
>>7663572
Your body would expand and almost inflate like a balloon. Capillaries would burst, underlying tissues would be damaged, etc. But as a whole, its connective tissues would be able to hold you together.

As long as the body is intact, its blood would remain pressurized. If it had any damage to your circulatory system that resulted in it no longer being a sealed system however, its blood would be pulled out through the hole while boiling.

Cosmic rays would induce dysfunction in organ systems, blood brain barrier, brain itself, etc, over time. You might be irradiated or burnt by any nearby star.
>>
>>7663572
You would die extremely quickly - actually faster than you would die without the mask. Your lungs would rupture due to the 1-atmosphere pressure differential between your lungs and the outside of your body, which would in turn force gas bubbles into your bloodstream and cause a massive fatal air embolism. The keyword is "pulmonary barotrauma."

Meanwhile, with the mask off, there's no such pressure differential and you'll die from hypoxia instead, which is comparatively tamer.
>>
>>7663605
However, as >>7663594 said, you wouldn't actually explode. You'd swell up like a balloon, rupturing your lungs in the process, but you wouldn't explode.
>>
wouldn't you freeze to death before you got a chance to expand?
>>
>>7663610
No. Freezing requires a loss of heat (obviously). In deep space you're only apt to encounter ~1 particle per cubic centimeter. Any cooling would have to occur by radiating energy, a process I can't really say I understand.
>>
>>7663610
Even if space was cold and not a giant Thermos where your biggest problem was avoiding overheating, no.
>>
>>7663618
(ie, there's nothing to transfer heat to)

You know, that leaves me to wonder. Maybe you would die much more quickly than I thought. Wouldn't one's own thermogenesis result in hyperthermia?
>>
>>7663592
You're a big guy
>>
>>7663618
>Any cooling would have to occur by radiating energy, a process I can't really say I understand.

What's not to understand? In any object above 0 Kelvin, the atoms in it are jiggling around. Eventually one will get bumped into a high enough energy state that it will emit a photon.
>>
>>7663630
UUUU
>>
>>7663625
Again, no, because you'll die of an air embolism or hypoxia due to air embolism first depending on whether you've got a breathing mask on or not.

Both of these will kill you in maybe two or three minutes.

You don't produce enough heat to cook yourself that fast.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.