[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I had an unpleasant interaction with a forum moderator today.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
I had an unpleasant interaction with a forum moderator today. Do any of you have shitty moderator stories? Preferably not 4chan related.
>>
>>29176187
I moderate a political forum. I hate every single non-mod there.
>>
>>29176321
Then you shouldn't be moderating.
>>
>>29176339
Why? I'm as fair and impartial as can be. No chance of favortism when you hate all the mouth breathing retards who can't fucking follow 2 simple rules.
>>
>>29176444
This is how your average petty internet moderator thinks of himself: a fair and impartial philosopher king inherently superior to the unwashed rabble.
>>
>>29176187

That is why I haven't used forums for years and years. I make sure my Internet life is in my control, not the control of some holier-than-thou neckbeard with a chip on his shoulder.
>>
>>29176500
How in control can we really be?

What happens when places like Jewtube and Twatter really start cracking down on dissent?
>>
>>29176187
I've never really had much. The forum I spent most of my days in when I was younger had an admin that was against active moderation. You could say what you wanted and he didn't really care. Even spambots weren't banned or deleted, their messages were changed to something humorous. Just obvious flamewars were relegated to the blastzone.

He was insufferable sometimes though. Even though you could call him a donkey-brained turbo retard to his face and he wouldn't ban you, it never made you feel any better.
>>
>>29176187
What happened, OP?

June 9th
>>
>>29176639

I haven't made a comment on Youtube or Twitter in years. I did upload some videos, but that was years ago to Youtube and they weren't political.
>>
turn router off

turn router on
>>
>>29176639
as if twitter would crack down on anything
>>
>>29176928
Twitter is very biased already
>>
>>29176735
When I was in highschool I posted on a political forum called protestwarrior. The admins had abandoned it and so there was no moderation. We called it thunderdrome. It was fantastic. 4chan was a natural fit after that.

>>29176762
I got what I deserved for making an account on Reddit.

I answered an obscure question on askhistorians that nobody else attempted to answer. The OP thanked me for the answer. Then a moderator swooped in and deleted my post because my source (a well respected historian) was too old. Using an old historian as a source isn't actually against the forum rules and somebody else called the mod out on it, but then his post got deleted too. Kek.

Seriously, fuck reddit.
>>
File: tomoko-3.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tomoko-3.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>29176187
>about 2009
>moderating an MMORPG forum
>senior moderator, so to speak
>admins recruit some new mods since we had a shortage of active forum staff
>about a week passes, and everything is going smoothly
>the new recruits are pretty lazy, but that's acceptable
>leave the forum to grab some food
>15 minutes later, return to see that the forum was absolutely destroyed
>many boards were deleted, and the ones that remained were renamed to "HAHA FUCK YOU - ANON" or something of that nature
>tried my best to do damage control, but the culprit(s) were fucking everything up at a faster rate than I could fix it
>message the admins
>they come on after everything's settled down a bit
>tfw I get demoded and banned
>tfw I never knew for sure who was doing this shit
>tfw I started modding another forum shortly after that
>>
>>29176954
You should have mentioned it was reddit from the start. This is pretty typical of those fags. though, to be fair, a fair number of subreddits have pretty nice, relaxed mods.
>>
>>29176955
Dude, what the heck.

Coups like this seem to happen all to often unfortunately, and rarely for the better.
>>
>>29177026

Everyone on here is complaining about reddit, but compared to most forums it's not as bad.

Forums always have the most autistic power-tripping moderators. Reddit is bad but forums are so much worse holy shit senpai who would even sign up to be a free moderator?
>>
>>29176187
I moderate a couple twitch chats and a couple IRC channels
ran into issues when some rumor came out about my personal life and people were calling for my head claiming I'm biased
users suck, a lot of them have some kind of persecution complexes and issues with authority where they will call for a moderator's head over the smallest thing
>>
>>29177026
Honestly askhistorians is one of the better subs. Askscience too. And because of their moderation. I don't think OP situation was justified, there's some overzealous mods.

Frankly the lesser moderated subs are fucking garbage.
>>
>>29177138
Yeah, really. I can't think of any good reason to do that kind of thing.
>>
>>29177273
>Frankly the lesser moderated subs are fucking garbage.
It really depends, imo. Some subs would be trash without heavy moderation, I agree, though a lot of subs seem to do very well with close to none.
>>
>>29177147

Yes it is. I have been censored from many subs there, and I was genuinely trying to be nice and follow the rules.

Almost all Internet moderators are bitter neckbeards. They deserve their reputation.
>>
I moderate an imageboard. Pedos keep posting rule violating images, but I don't want to delete them because they are fucking cute, but they are against the rules and my users don't know I'm a degenerate pedophile, so I have to.
>>
>>29177527

Hi Snacks!
>>
File: now this is how you shitpost.jpg (221 KB, 1381x964) Image search: [Google]
now this is how you shitpost.jpg
221 KB, 1381x964
Forums are cancer and full of some of the biggest faggots in the world.
>>
File: now this is how you shitpost 2.png (115 KB, 1400x925) Image search: [Google]
now this is how you shitpost 2.png
115 KB, 1400x925
>>29177549
Fuck you faggot, here's your content.
>>
>>29176187
I got banned from somethingawful for using the wrong thread tag. Their mods have all been revealed to be gay pedo diaperfurs though.
>>
I browse a forum where the owner went AWOL for something like seven years, leaving the site in the hands of a couple administrators and a big pile of mods, with little to no direction. Earlier this year, there was a dispute between moderators, and one of the moderators either resigned or was dismissed.

Earlier this week, said moderator bought the website, made himself administrator, and unbanned all the banned users.
>>
>>29177425
Smaller subs right?

As any community gets bigger the content gets worse like that. That's where moderation should step in
>>
>>29177542
I'm afraid not.

>>29177601
Sounds like what happened to Children of Cyrodiil. Pretty sure they are dead for good though.
>>
>>29177527
what board?

origigonal
>>
>>29177700
I can't tell you. My real name could be tied to the software fairly easily.
>>
>>29177777
>>2 second mute because i wanna kill myself
>>
On one forum I was on there was a mod who was an army vet who served once and retired to become a major neckbeard. He always put on a tough guy persona in his posts and had the 'cranky old man' thing going on. Every time he made a post he came off as a condescending dick. If anyone dared disagree with him he would write paragraphs of shit so that it would be too much work to actually respond to him. If you did match him he would just ban you for 'trolling'. Finally a bunch of members made a big deal about him and he suddenly 'stepped down' from his mod position.
>>
File: lqBMz.png (19 KB, 604x554) Image search: [Google]
lqBMz.png
19 KB, 604x554
>>29176187
I'm a moderator for a fairly big subreddit. Well, I'm a moderator but I don't do jack shit (and I just checked, out of all mods only one does anything).

Most interesting thing that happened was some guy who was baffled that we wouldn't let him spam his kickstarter or whatever in the sub. He seemed to be completely delusional and went on long rants in modmail.
>>
>>29176928
they suspended azealia banks
>>
>>29179172
This is literally every mod on firearm forums. I'm very thankful for /k/
>>
In my experience there are very few moderators anywhere on the internet that aren't inherently anal retentive self important dicksuckers.
>>
>>29176187
dont really have bad history with this guy but
>admin keeps warning people not to do thing
>never did thing before
>he does thing
>I remind him of the rules
>"ok next time you do it I am going to temp ban you"
cool
>>
I used to be heavily involved in a yugioh forum from the time I was in middle school to my sophmore year of high school. I distinctly remember being upset because my ability to post status updates was revoked because I made a rape joke in one of them and it made one openly female user who liked to slut it up with most of the forum staff uncomfortable. It always upset me because I used the forum as a social outlet and having my ability to post updates taken away severerly hindered my ability to feel connected to the community. I felt more and more detatched from the community and started using it less and eventually started coming to this site with higher frequency to fill the void in my life.
>>
>>29179789
I'm glad that you've found a new social outlet here.
>>
You posted this on biz and they roasted you too
>>
You have to be a real cunty faggot to want to become a moderator. The one of few things worse than a tripfag on an anon board
>>
>>29179759
what's the thing?
>>
>>29180287
The best moderators are the guys who don't want to be mods.

Too bad they're notoriously hard to recruit.
>>
>>29176471
Guess what the fucking admins think about them.
>>
>>29176187

Only once. I got in to a furious exchange with a mod on GiantBomb over some innocuous comment a made during the gamergate brouhaha. I believe i referred to non-trans people as 'normal people' fir which this mod deleted my post because insensitive. This angered me as it was obvious GB had fallen under the hamplanet boot of sjw. I went on a tirade about it with numerous alt accounts and am now lifetime banned from using the ip range of my home network on that site. It was pretty fun.
>>
I moderate /r/4chan
>>
>>29177527
Ohayo Hotwheelios senpai.
>>
>>29177549
>>29177571
What forum is this?
>>
File: time stamp.jpg (75 KB, 360x401) Image search: [Google]
time stamp.jpg
75 KB, 360x401
>>29180692
Who are you? Make a post rn under ur reddit account
>timestamp
>timestamp
>timestamp
>>
I had my forum posts deleted by a forum moderator once, but then I remembered that he did that job for no compensation and I laughed a mighty laugh.
>>
>>29180692
why is your sub so full of summer level humor? Why don't you do anything to make it better? Don't you have any shame?
>>
>>29176471
How hard is it to not dox someone or call them a pedophile? Those are literally our only two rules and yet dipshits can't fucking follow them.
>>29180450
We go drinking together once a month so I imagine he has a decent opinion of me.
>>
>>29176187
One time I reset all the mods and admins passwords on a forum and then the next day I got a bunch of PMs with shit like "Give me one reason not to ban you"
Then I got banned for "hacking"
the end
I didn't even get a chance to respond to them :(
>>
If any mods are reading this, I just wanna say you're a bunch of great people and you do great work
>>
>play a fairly niche game
>get stuck into the community
>realize a ton of players and admins were retarded and should be kept far away from any decision-making process
>powerless to do it as a player
>become admin
>change things to be less retarded
>still bitter as fuck because the retardation never stops
>gradually spend less time on the game now

something I wouldn't do again if I had the chance desu
>>
>>29181240
why would I want to make reddit better? does nobody read our sidebar?
>>
>>29180692
>>29181485

Kill yourself, neckbeard.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.