[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I use to not understand why people want to have kids. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15
File: lamp.png (250 KB, 495x395) Image search: [Google]
lamp.png
250 KB, 495x395
I use to not understand why people want to have kids. I've had a few people explain it to me and I guess it kind of makes sense now.
There are a few different angles to it.
Really though when I think about it with the current course my life is on it would be irresponsible to have children. Even in a scenario where things go better than what I think it just seems too late not enough time.
Why am I even sticking around on Earth for?
>>
>>28541318
My reasoning is that I'd have someone to be with later in life.

I've never actually "had" kids though, I donate sperm and check up on them every year or so.
>>
>>28541318
They make life less lonely if you don't fuck up in raising them.
>>
>>28541318
>I use to not understand why people want to have kids.
Something something biological imperative. We are still animals after all
>>
>>28541318
nothing is more fullfilling than watching YOUR spawn grow and learn and mature

imagine having a son, who looks like you and it just hits your heartstrings seeing him grow and learn

idk, it's weird for me
>>
File: nature16961-f1.jpg (141 KB, 946x347) Image search: [Google]
nature16961-f1.jpg
141 KB, 946x347
>>28541318
>Why am I even sticking around on Earth for?
To experience the post-scarcity future with robot bfs/gfs/xfs and everything you could ever want.

My only hope is pretty much this: one day machine intelligence is finally developed,it rapidly solves all our (objectively small and stupid) human problems. We get to live in an utopian society where we do not depend on wageslaving to survive, where there are no illnesses, no crimes, no need for wars and politics because post-scarcity and humans don't control the infrastructure anymore anyway. Humanity will probably split into thousands of self-interested groups pursuing their own ideas of ideal lifestyle. All the present wreck of the world will be quickly forgotten, like a bad dream.

I hope that will happen some day, so I continue to live. I have came to the same conclusion again and again: the world is too complex now, humans just can't control it anymore. Some more advanced form of intelligence is needed to fix all the wreck we have created. It is not impossible, after all...
>>
>>28541318
>Why am I even sticking around on Earth for?

That's just it. It seems like when you're young you always have something to look forward to - high school, university, your first job, date with some girl you like, weekend to spend with your bros. When you get older and settle down things become monotonous and you need a new sense of purpose in your life.

The other thing ofc is that most people are sheep - they see their friends having kids and that heavily influences their decision to have some of their own.
>>
>>28541318
I watched my parents qt marriage fall apart after having 3 kids. I've seen a lot of the photo books and they really did look happy. They used to go dancing and have date nights, even after marriage. We must have stressed the hell out of them because they started arguing about everything, from money to parenting methods. I feel like my dad is going to off himself eventually because he's always so mopey now.

I'm definitely not having kids after this bullshit.
>>
>>28541318
>>28539017 (OP)
There's no ethical reason to have a child under any circumstances, rich or poor is irrelevant. There is literally no reason to ever create unneeded need, it is a selfish egotistical gesture of human biology

..o112981630184
>>
>>28541422
>mfw this is literally the religion/heaven rhetoric of the fedora tippers
>mfw people like this are the reason my friends get paid 6 figures to look at twitter feeds and make charts about how many times the word "penis" is used for example on a certain day

yeah some day i promise man, just work hard enough and sacrifice any pleasure in life and you'll get a robot gf one day with realistic AI XDD
>>
>>28541504
no. suicide is selfish. creating life is beautiful. but poor people should definitely slow it down a bit and think it through. you're poor right? no worries
>>
>>28541583
I don't even look like a fedora tipper, lol.

>yeah some day i promise man, just work hard enough and sacrifice any pleasure in life and you'll get a robot gf one day with realistic AI XDD

I have enough skill to build one myself, actually.
>>
>>28541627
>life is beautiful
Mate.....
>>
>>28541645
you and everyone else. robot stacy loves you and forgives all of your sins.
>>
File: 1439903195165.png (536 KB, 776x840) Image search: [Google]
1439903195165.png
536 KB, 776x840
>>28541700
I call mine Libre-chan.
>>
>>28541683
didn't say you couldn't take your life for granted and waste it. we all do a little of that with our ebin memes on 4chan.
>>
>>28541627
You are incredibly shortminded. Why did you mention suicide? How does suicide solve anything? I will be created again. Some other human will choose to impose suffering on a non sentient being.

You are playing with a value equation and being born is inherently worse than not being. You will never be deprived being unborn. You will being born.

Life is not beautiful. That is an incredibly subjective, rude and callous statement. You have to acknowledge all of life not just what you have personally perceived. Is cancer beautiful? Are Mexican cartel face skinning beautiful? Is homelessness beautiful? What about being born without limbs

You are incredibly glib and obnoxious. You choose to ignore anything unpleasant to justify your own poorly rationalized philosophy of life. You should consider just what we humans are and that we are nothing more than a biological accident with no purpose other than to avoid suffering.

How do you do that? By not breeding.
>>
don't listen to selfish breeders.
don't feed the world with your spawn, they do not deserve this.suffering is for the majority and there is no way to win.
>>
Because people get old and die. that's the source of the desire to have children. Biology is sometimes smarter than we think
>>
File: lightbulb.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lightbulb.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>28541759
I'm not saying I am going to or want to have kids.
At this point it already seems too late.
>>
>>28541738
>non senient
>suffering
hmmmm hmmm hmmmmm

>is cancer beautiful
yes in many ways
>face skinning
you're unstable senpai, that has nothing to do with creating life. get a grip with all those insults, you're the one with problems.
>>
>>28541827
You are actually too retarded to have a conversation with. Cya
>>
pretty sure people have kids out of boredom
>>
>>28541853
>thinks he's talking to a retard
>still responds
what a guy.
>>
i just think about how im a failure to my parents and how i dont want that in my kid
>>
>>28541886
the guy gives proper arguments and you just say
>hmmmm hmmm hmmmmm
and you want tot be taken seriously?
>>
File: Iblard-Jikan.jpg (703 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Iblard-Jikan.jpg
703 KB, 1920x1080
>>28541759
>there is no way to win.
There is a way to win: Utopian Engineering.

>tfw no M.S. in Utopian Engineering
>>
>>28541969

Thanks for the pic, now my eyes are bleeding.
>>
>>28541964
>proper argument
>rambles about sentience incorrectly and mexican cartels
his entire post could have just been "i have a different philosophy on life which precludes purpose and a sense of beauty about it"

i don't care if a nut job takes me seriously though, i was saying it makes no sense to be that little kid who cries "im ignoring you!!"
>>
>>28542049
Do you prefer this?

I dislike cyberpunkish dystopias.
>>
>>28542057
You understand that philosophy means to find the real objective reality of existence of life and not 'what pertains to my personal psychology of forfilling my needs and desires'

You can't use philosophy for your own greed and agenda. You have to look at life from a clean slate and understand what is even happening here.

All you fuckers are doing is cheating the game and finding ways to justify your existence, denying the actual merit of nonexistence

It's stupidly short sighted and down right dangerous.
>>
File: 1.jpg (221 KB, 1094x821) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
221 KB, 1094x821
>>28541738
this might be the most red pilled thing I've ever read
>>
>>28542196
>'what pertains to my personal psychology of forfilling my needs and desires'
that is actually a philosophy, its probably been around in a lot of different times in different ways but usually hedonism is what i hear about the most for example
>You can't use philosophy for your own greed and agenda. You have to look at life from a clean slate and understand what is even happening here.
of course you can use it for greed, everyone has an agenda and that's the entire reason most people even talk their bias is part of their agenda whether it is altruistic or not. that's like saying nobody gets a college degree just to land a job that pays a lot of money, when the only reason to get a philosophy degree is to make money or push your agenda. anyone that is advocating learning philosophy for any other reason is probably trying to sell you something or just thinks your so fucking stupid you need to learn a lot more shit to have a decent conversation with them
>>
>>28541422
Yeah basically this

Fuck this current world, I keep going because I believe that eventually the world won't suck anymore.
>>
File: 1463150957192.jpg (48 KB, 1057x611) Image search: [Google]
1463150957192.jpg
48 KB, 1057x611
>>28541341
>tfw when not even allowed to donate sperm because I have a cleft lip

Fuck, I'm so undesirable that it's acceptable for even today's politically correct society to tell genetic failures like me to fuck off
>>
File: dankgnome.gif (100 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
dankgnome.gif
100 KB, 200x200
>>28541738
This is a beautiful post, thank you
>>
Some people are so afraid of the possibility that there is no life after death, that they think they can "live" through their children/children's stories. They just want to be remembered somehow on this God-forsaken Earth and they're willing to do anything to find their alter "alternative" to death, even though there is none.
>>
File: Fig_2_HLA_karyotype.jpg (537 KB, 1053x729) Image search: [Google]
Fig_2_HLA_karyotype.jpg
537 KB, 1053x729
>>28542409
>there is none.

There is one: life-extension R&D and therapies.
>>
/pol/ here

I think it's our duty as people of European descent to continue our bloodlines. The world of the future could be wonderful if populated by Europeans and East Asians.

You think too much and philosophise about suffering and abstract ideas convincing yourself not to have children while Mohammed and Tyrone are having 10 children each. Your race will die out soon with a pathetic whimper if you don't do your part and start procreating. Humanity will stop progressing and devolve into an Negro/Islamic tribal dystopia.
>>
>>28542196
>short sighted
you keep saying this but without any fucking context.

>agenda
this makes no sense the way you're using it. you can't pretend that it isn't a decision to believe in a philosophy in the same post that you berate others for believing in something else. your/his fundamental argument about existence is that we should stop existing. do you call that not having an agenda?

my perception of beauty is a human quality, and no matter how many fedoras you can put on your head you're not going to escape the scope of the human experience. there is no objectivity in the context of how you enjoy or desire to experience life, you're confusing this shit with reductionist theories about the nature of the world around us. you may think its relevant to say "muh no purpose" but it doesn't reflect anything about whats real, it just reflects your opinion.
>>
File: lite2xbrite.jpg (23 KB, 585x366) Image search: [Google]
lite2xbrite.jpg
23 KB, 585x366
>>28541318
Woman create life. They want children.
Men destroy life. They create implements of destruction.

Its Nature.

Your question is like asking: Why do men commit so many crimes, and cause/fight wars?
>>
>>28542461
you know that sure puts things in perspective
a 9mm round looks a lot more tasty listening to that drivel
>>
>>28542511
>no matter how many fedoras you can put on your head you're not going to escape the scope of the human experience.

Lol even today we have substances that radically modify conscious experience (though they are quite harmful). With good enough technology it will be possible to achieve completely different modes of consciousness. How can you say that every one of them will correspond to suffering?

Don't conflate our current technical ineptness with what is truly possible.
>>
>>28542568
>gets high
>thinks his philosophical worldview suddenly has more merit

Yeah that's fine but how does that argue against the inherent beauty of life? is this language a little too complex for you because you don't even have a reference for what you could call beautiful? it's like if you argued that saying "m'lady" gives you class and i started rambling about how without water we all die.
>>
File: martini.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
martini.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>28542544
I don't think that's what my question was like at all. I think I've met more men that want to have children than females.
I disagree with the simplistic notion of ying yang balance of creation/destruction between the genders.

Besides you can make a living off war not having kids.
>>
>>28542544
When I think about it females tend to be more destructive or just difficult to deal with in general because a lot of them have a really bad case of penis envy.
>>
File: Clayman78.jpg (401 KB, 1224x1397) Image search: [Google]
Clayman78.jpg
401 KB, 1224x1397
>>28542641
I'm not that anon, I'm not saying that life is beutiful by default. I'm not a druggie either. But I'm sure that with some changes in our biology we could live a vastly more blissful life, without disadvantages of drugs.

There is a whole school of thought devoted to this ideal: http://www.abolitionist.com/
>>
File: Africa-Europe1.gif (6 KB, 350x269) Image search: [Google]
Africa-Europe1.gif
6 KB, 350x269
>>28542551
>drivel

Enjoy your slow genocide.
>>
>>28542813
a few years ago i would of had fun trolling someone like you, now i just find it pathetic
>>
>>28542718
Well I am saying life is beautiful, at least in how we reproduce and develop. But this is a different conversation now right.. so I don't think you can have any suffering without some degree of pleasure. And I think there are very few circumstances that force you to suffer excessively to the point that you cannot adjust.

The premise is intuitive because we evolved to pursue problems and solve them (eventually with the motivation to improve life for our children btw), but I don't agree with pointing that finger at our own humanity and natural emotions. The line should probably be drawn at a certain level of security and freedom, and after that it's just about education and therapy to redirect that anxiety/suffering.

Experiencing new things is cool and enhancing humans to maybe be more rational about how they react to the world around them is neat, and the actual experiment needs to be done someday. I'm more suggesting that complaining about suffering in general is a mistake that just wastes time.
>>
>>28542870
If you can't provide any evidence or argument against my points then don't bother replying scrub.
>>
>>28542923
time traveler from 2100 here. it's inaccurate senpai.
/argument
>>
I used to not understand and I still don't, not fully.

The only thing that shed some light in the situation was my nephew. But, objectively speaking he is one cool toddler. Never grumpy and smart as hell.
>>
>>28542461
Would be a lot easier if your corporate overlords stop trying to make it hard to make a living.

But if you wanna keep supporting them, then enjoy your tribal dystopia.

Profits are all that matter right?
>>
>>28542892
you say
>inherent beauty of life
well i do not know where you see it. in reprodution? i see more fine people suffering because some is selfish enough to make them.
you say you need pleasure to have suffering, well i say you need suffering to get pleasure, as
you can only recognise pleasure when you get the suffering. but suffering is something granted, pleasure is it not.
>>
File: kalergi_zpso5fs5y7o1.jpg (73 KB, 682x354) Image search: [Google]
kalergi_zpso5fs5y7o1.jpg
73 KB, 682x354
>>28542977
What are you gonna do about it goyim? You will become part of our mixed docile cattle class of the future. Can't have you clever gentiles committing another Shoah now can we?
>>
>>28543149
>where you see it
yeah i think having the power to create another person is breddy good.

>i say
and i agree. suffering has to exist to experience and express pleasure. i don't know what you mean by granted. actions have all sorts of consequences, but in general these sorts of conversations are clouded in selective memory. i'm probably more optimistic and believe any pain or challenge can be approached with underlying good feelings interrupted by mild discomforts. you might be the opposite and totally expect to feel like shit except for when you see a good meme here or something. and maybe these outlooks are out of our control. but how we spend our time and deal with suffering is totally defined by what we want and what we are willing to do. the exceptions where somebody is severely mentally handicapped or trapped in a human trafficking circuit i just wouldn't be able to establish an argument about, the priorities are totally different there.
>>
>>28543488
>yeah i think having the power to create another person is breddy good.

that is what i say it is selfish, people have hte power and they use because it is "good", or "I can", without wondering about the "I should?"

>suffering is not granted
well you say suffering has to exist to express pleasure.
then suffering is granted if you get pleasure.
you are optimistic because you belive suffering is worth the pleasure?
people deal with live not just with willpower, they also have experience and those experiences make what i person is, will is just a result of that.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.