[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's a fool-proof university major for an idiot to pursue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: cool.png (329 KB, 960x594) Image search: [Google]
cool.png
329 KB, 960x594
what's a fool-proof university major for an idiot to pursue

i wanted to do psychology but that's the equivalent of putting $80,000 in a big pile and setting it on fire
>>
As a human resource development major, oh god just go this. It's awesome. Barely any dudes and you get special treatment, 60% hot girls, internships fall into your lap, and the coursework is a joke.
>>
>>25233473
>i wanted to do psychology but that's the equivalent of putting $80,000 in a big pile and setting it on fire
that's absolutely not true
the university buildings' heaters would keep you warm for way longer
>>
>>25233473
>the equivalent of putting $80,000 in a big pile and setting it on fire

no, it's not.

It's fully worth $80,000 if you network all your professors.

But every special snowflake nowadays goes to classes and that's it.
>>
Computer science bro :^) be a le nurdy guy XD
>>
>>25233539
i literally don't even know what networking is

like i understand the concept

but i'm a freshman and i have no idea how to do it
>>
>>25233501
Not op but i hope your being serious. I'm honestly very stressed and conflicted about what to major in
>>
Psych isn't a bad idea. However, if you'd want to get something out of it you'd probably have to go to med school for psychiatry or go to grad school. Undergrad degree is pretty useless.
>>
Engineering, or any /biz/ approved major.
>>
File: 1448377304106.jpg (94 KB, 700x379) Image search: [Google]
1448377304106.jpg
94 KB, 700x379
>>25233473
>nepotism>actual merit
It literally doesn't fucking matter as long as you network effectively
>>
File: 1450354855155.jpg (49 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1450354855155.jpg
49 KB, 600x450
>>25234208
Introverts lose again.
>>
Engineering
/thread
>>
Pharma
>>
>>25233511
Epik win
>>
>>25233473
Don't go to college. Become a blue collar worker and actually do something productive. Go to a technical school
>>
>>25234138
>undergrad degree is pretty useless

Maybe yours was, but they're not all useless.
>>
>>25234236
There's a difference between introverts and social retards
>>
>>25234198
what approved majors are there?

psych doesn't see, bad on the tier list op
>>
>>25234562
psych with a medical degree is fine

undergrad psych is overcrowded and useless
>>
>>25234562

>>>/biz/1000749 This thread has a pretty good breakdown, except I disagree with econ being in high tier.
>>
>>25234493
I'm not OP, but I've been there, done that.

I've worked all type of labour jobs in various industry's, and am a ticketed 3rd year mechanic apprentice, yet am half way through an expensive buisness degree majoring in accounting... Should pay off once I'm done though because I know how to work harder than most young dummy classmates I'm with and am confident I can move up the corporate ladder fairly easily.

The most you will ever really move up as a blue collar worker is a small buisness IF you're lucky and work 20 years to save first. For those more ambitious, university can be a path to whatever your goals are.

As far as idiot proof degrees go, like another anon said HR is not a bad path. Accounting is good too if you can handle the long hours needed to be successful and the tedious work of it.
>>
>>25233473
How about actually finding something you're actually passionate about and making something out of yourself through hard work and dedication. Being a robot isn't an excuse for being a lazy shit with no goals in life, success in college is literally the place to beat chads because they don't have the advantage.
>>
>>25234670
I have no passion. Everything is boring and I'm always tired.
>>
1. Look up school programs
2. Look up what the graduation employment scene is like for those programs
3. Pick STEM or finance for reliability
>>
>>25234670
Your naivety is very cute.
>>
File: 1445696138154.jpg (59 KB, 395x401) Image search: [Google]
1445696138154.jpg
59 KB, 395x401
>>25234670
>they don't have the advantage

>extroverted Chads with rich daddies don't have the advantage in networking and connections
>>
>>25233737
you were supposed to develop charisma over the course of the last fifteen years despite everyone telling you other things are what matter in the professional world
so now you're fucked, I guess just watch anime in a basement or something for the rest of your life
>>
>>25234755
>mfw i go to an ivy league
>mfw surrounded by chads who only got in through being a legacy/rich
>>
>>25234755
>have a rich family
>giant house
>tons of cool toys
>invite kids over and they all like me
>even if at first it's for my stuff they eventually value me as a friend
>move on to high school
>throw amazing parties
>get invited to other stuff
>meet tons of kids from other schools through various connections
>go to college
>amazing college because I'm rich, people like me so recommendations, tutors throughout life so decent grades, maybe more athletic because rich dad seduced young hot girl to be wife and decent meals to ensure growing up right
>already have jobs lined up for me after college so it's just a matter of passing tests so I can party all the time
>make even more social connections and improve in all the things before
>>
>>25234755
Except that the advantage comes from them being in a rich family, which does not necessarily mean they are a chad and not all chads are rich. If you let your introversion get in the way of the outcome of the rest of your life then that's your problem you pussy, it's not the same as something insignificant as talking to a girl.
>>
>>25234936
>have a lower middle class family
>tiny shitty townhouse
>parents constantly argue, on the brink of divorce but stay together because of financial reasons
>can't invite friends over because house is too small and messy
>have no friends from a young age
>move on to high school
>become more and more alienated as social pressures increase
>bullied for nerdy hobbies, shitty clothing, lack of friends
>dodge any social situation when possible because I feel like I'm going to vomit
>shelter myself in my room with my old computer and my videogames
>go to college
>have to take out tens of thousands of dollars in loans because we're lower-middle class and white so no financial aid
>social anxiety nearing agoraphobia, go to class and get the hell back to the dorm, many days can't go at all
>never had a real conversation with a girl
>zero real friends or even fake friends
>flunk out of school
>kill myself at 22
>>
File: file.png (136 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
file.png
136 KB, 535x577
>>25235070
>it's a "get over your anxiety or you're a pussy" episode
>>
>>25235104
You ruin your ENTIRE future because you let your anxiety keep you from making a few connections, if you can't build up enough confidence to improve the rest of your life then yes, you're a pussy.
>>
How's my game plan?
>Go into economics
>Start a business somewhere in Asia where costs are dirt cheap
>Make MAD money
>Acquire a harem and a "wife" to give me kids and show off to the folks back home
>>
>>25234505
It depends what you want to do. Can't be a psychiatrist without a med. Can't be a psychologist without graduate because no insurance will cover you and if they dont no one will use you. There are other options but those are usually what people want to do with it.
>>
>>25233473
Fucking accounting. Jobs will fall on your lap.
>>
>>25236607
and then you neck yourself in your mid 30s because of your boring ass job
>>
>everyone doesn't take psychology seriously
>all the pre-med failures go to psychology cause it's easy
>all the women go to psychology BECAUSE THEY LOVE WORKING WITH KIDS
>BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE
>BECAUSE THEY WATCH DEXTER AND SAY THEY LOVE PSYCHOPATHS BUT WILL GO INTO FAMILY THERAPY BECAUSE PSYCHOPATHS ARE TOO SCARY FOR THEM xDDDDD

Goddamn I love psychology so much with all my heart but these fucking heathens ruin everything. I study psychology along with neuroscience, chemistry, and biology to work in a laboratory with rats, manipulating their sensory neurons to alter their sense of smell to see how their memory changes. But these cunts make my entire field a joke. Fuck them and fuck anyone who picks psychology if they don't have a passion for it.
>>
>>25235816

The only option with an undergrad degree in psychology is applied behavior analysis. Basically teaching autistic kids how to function. At a bachelor's level, you make 50k starting(that I heard at in conferences) and you can get promoted quickly.

"most salaries either fell into the $40,000 to $60,000 range or $60,000 to $80,000 range."

http://work.chron.com/salaries-behavior-analysts-5980.html

However, there's a catch. Working with autistic kids is a major drain on you. You work 6-8 hours a day with one autist child and you teach them how to pronounce things or recognize social cues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVG8lYEsNs

You do this for 8 hours a day. Can you handle it?
>>
>>25233539
my friend studied fucking psych at Dartmouth and is completely jobless. Hes now a Solar panel salesman
>>
>>25234670
Found the boomer
>>
I graduated in Psych and I was on 120k a year after graduating.

Mind you I had to do a postgrad, but that's every degree nowadays that isn't Engineering, med or compsci.
>>
>>25236797
>all the pre-med failures go to psychology cause it's easy
oh god this, go to any physics 101 class and within 4 weeks all the stacys that think they're going to be brain surgeons flock to the psychology advising center
>>
>>25234670
It took me my entire 20's to figure out what I truly give a shit about.

There's no way some kid can figure this out by the time he has to register for the next semester.

If I could do it all over again, then I would have traveled a lot more in my early 20's. It really put me in my place and I would have probably figured out shit a lot sooner.
>>
>>25237619
>pre-med go to psych
No they don't. They do bio or pharma.

Even basic premed is harder than psychlology
>>
>>25233473
the trades to be honest
>>
>>25233501
>as a
I didn't know you could major in reddit. Hang yourself.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.