[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biz major tiers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 19
File: Big lenny.jpg (221 KB, 1780x923) Image search: [Google]
Big lenny.jpg
221 KB, 1780x923
Top Tier
>Math and Finance or Math and Econ
>Operations/Business Analytics, assuming it's quantitative
>Accounting

High Tier
>Operations/Business Analytics if it's not quant heavy
>Finance
>Economics

Mid Tier
>Marketing if you're a self-starter/good with people
>Information Systems/Business Software stuff

Low Tier
>Business Management
>Marketing if you're a shitter/introverted

Shit Tier
>Human Resource Management
>Hospitality Management
>>
But the real question is which one will make you the most money
>>
>>1000749
Id put "Accounting and IS", just like you put "Math and Finance" and "Math and Econ", in Top tier.
firms are always looking for accountants yes, but those who can manage the IS of computerized accounting software/create a new one based on firm's needs
>>
Masturbation: The Thread
>>
>>1000793
This is actually something new my Uni is doing.

I was gonna go more the route of coupling business analytics with IS and maybe some stats for good measure.
>>
>>1000749
so if I major in CS and Finance I'm gold?
>>
>>1000794
>three replies in
>calling the thread

Hr major detected.
>>
>>1000795
If you do stats, make sure it's a legit stats class with probability distributions and hopefully calculus.

I know a lot of people who only took "business stats" and they know absolutely nothing besides the difference between median and mode.
>>
>>1000795
Just double major Accounting and IS (or Business Technology Management BTM as my uni calls it).
What is business analytics? In my case, all my classes have some judgement/analysis to do.
>>
>>1000799
Well it's more of a statistic oriented MBA program. The pre-reqs for even applying are Calc 3 so it's definitely intensive. I would have to take a couple extra electives, but nothing too major because I started off as an Electrical Engineer in the first place.

I just want to do Big Data Analytics. I think Watson is going to explode plus it's one of the few things in the world that actually interest me.
>>
>>1000796
Yea, as long as you're friendly and good with people. You have the analytical background.

Just don't be a sperg, and you'll do fine in business.
>>
>>1000803
Ya, that's what you want, a real stats class, where you're not just learning definitions and basic math.
>>
Accounting for stable but boring career with good pay.

Finance for people good with sales/talking to people. Less job stability than Accounting but higher pay.

Economics if you plan on going to grad school. Statistically, a Masters in Economy has the highest income ceiling (even more than doctors), but the average is fairly low.

Comp Sci/Engineering degree for people who would rather work with logic more than math. Good pay.

Trades for people who like hands on stuff. Take up HVAC/Plumbing and move to the south.

Nursing is a viable option too. Good pay for the 2 years of education required. You can always continue school and become a Nurse Practitioner, which is replacing doctors and makes six figures in some areas.

Medicine/Pharmacy/Law if you're smart enough and can get into a school on scholarship and/or parents/sugar daddy to pay for it.

Everything else is either a meme, not in demand/too competitive, or pays less than $60K.
>>
>>1000815
>Finance for people good with sales/talking to people. Less job stability than Accounting but higher pay.

You have no idea what you are talking about so I'll give you a hint: Wolf of Wall Street was not a documentary on the average finance graduate.
>>
Do a BA in Jewish Studies, then go to Law School and become bestmemes with a bunch of Jewish people, and infiltrate their social circle as one of them, and then learn their businesses and skim off of them

>rich

I'm doing a BSc in Economics though, then Masters in Econ and PhD in Econ.
>>
>>1000821
What do you wanna focus on in your PhD?
>>
>>1000823

I have no idea, I might even go to Law school after Master of Econ and then do a PhD of Laws
>>
>>1000821
I have never thought of such a good plan. Jewish Studies and Finance combined?
>>
>>1000828

Might be possible, like a Double Major.
>>
>>1000820
>implying I've seen the movie

Don't watch anything that slanders the image of Finance. The Big Short trailer is bullshit too.

I majored in Finance. Worked at Merrill for 7 months before quitting. Was life sucking.

Buy Side/Sell Side doesn't matter. You have to be a "jock" to move up.
>>
File: 1449548958037.gif (2 MB, 350x372) Image search: [Google]
1449548958037.gif
2 MB, 350x372
IS shit tier reporting in.

Only good thing is where I live recruiters are dying to get us early for some reason (idek)
>>
>>1000836
Because its in demand you stupid fuck IS it's God Tier
>>
File: tumblr_n6mp4iUGYK1s2ddc9o1_500.jpg (110 KB, 423x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6mp4iUGYK1s2ddc9o1_500.jpg
110 KB, 423x750
>>1000907
Why say that? Everyone likes to shit on my concentration on this board so I don't even bother exclaiming why I think it will set me up for the future. I usually get some braindead monkey that's used to entering numbers into an excel telling me how stupid and dumb I am and saying it's a watered down CS degree (kek)
>>
>>1000836
>>1000907
Retard here
does IS=Information security or Information systems?
>>
>>1000914
IS means Information Systems for 99.99% of use cases
>>
>>1000914
It means Islamic State.
>>
>>1000914
Information Systems but security could be a pretty lucrative specialization I feel like.

>>1000910
Don't worry anon. It's usually CS weebs who want to feel superior in some kind of way. Most of us are former CS majors anyway.
>>
what do management majors even learn?

i took the intro course for the business college and all i remember was MBTI voodoo and dumbass shit like, "if you pay people good wages they will work harder!"

what do these people go on to do? if i was running a business, i would prefer that the person managing my warehouse knows ops, the person running my accounting department knows accounting, etc. what skill does the management major posses that i don't? because i really only notice them when they are loudly complaining about having to do math
>>
>>1000974

No real skills desu. Having only recently gotten out of blue collar and service industry shit, corporate level managers tend to be huge faggots. Obsessed with checking boxes and kissing ass, you can tell a lot of them have no experience with the actual jobs they supervise.

I'm not trying to sound like some spoiled lazy ass worker but anyone whose done a gas station or construction can probably testify that once the suits show up, you can kiss your good day good bye.
>>
>>1000930
underrated
>>
Can someone offer advice on what I should go to school for?

I've always enjoyed data and numbers but the average salary I saw for business majors (60 - 80K) seems low to me for something you invest so much time into.

I would consider doing something I'm indifferent to like STEM or something in the medical field because the salaries are easily in six digits.

What does /biz/ think? Feel free to correct me for being a retard.
>>
>>1001011
biz over stem any day.
Medicine sucks dick, you lose out on aprox a decade of income and come out with outstanding debt.
If you are going to do medicine go for nursing, but even that will probably be saturated by the time you get out.
I would say do CS/Finance if you can understand CS.
>>
>>1001012
Also this is from a med student.
Boy did I fuck up.
>>
>>1000815
Is mechanical engineering/aeronautical engineering still a good option? I'm an aircraft mechanic right now thinking about going back to school.
>>
I'm working on a Ch E degree right now and am looking for a minor, what are some compatible minors? I'm mostly looking to move on to management more then lab work. Especially interested in pharm.
>>
Whats with business/management engineering?
>>
>>1001062
You could just do chem e for undergraduate and go for an mba later. That's how a lot of engineers get into management positions.

If you're dead set on a minor for undergraduate, accounting, finance, OR, g these would pair well with an engineering degree.
>>
File: Attolini.jpg (119 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
Attolini.jpg
119 KB, 500x670
>>1000749
Bus.admin/financial analysist-fag reporting in

Or soon to be. One exam left in exactly a month. Wish me luck, guys.
>>
File: 1329745759569672.jpg (42 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1329745759569672.jpg
42 KB, 384x288
Just fucking stop talking about degrees. This is a business and investing board, not a fucking elementary school yard.
>>
I switched from Computational Mathematics to Computer Science two years ago and am about to finish CS. Was that a bad move?
>>
>>1000815
>mfw not good at any of those subjects
Suicide is always an option anons
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (103 KB, 1911x1079) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
103 KB, 1911x1079
>>1000749
The college matters more tho
>>
>>1000749
Do people realize none of this shit matters if you have a network that sucks your cock on a weekly basis right?

I'm a Type A finance grad and don't have a job at all. I have friends in physics and chem that don't have jobs either
>>
>>1000815
What about geology/geophysics major? Lots of job prospects there
>>
>>1001918
Because you're all probably spergs who can't talk to people
>>
>>1000749
FAT FUCKIN LENNY BABY
>>
>>1000749
International Relations and Business here, plan on doing outside sales for a company that requires their salespeople to travel a lot. Med tech or pharmaceuticals.
>>
Which one is better in terms of task variety and pay, management or financial accounting?
>>
>>1000749
Say, what does /biz/ think of the actuarial profession?
>>
>>1000749
>mfw analytics finally showing up in the top tiers of these threads
nice of you guys to finally catch up
>>
>>1001440
I'm sorry that we're trying to maximize our profits and ROI
>>
File: spurdo respond.png (25 KB, 759x551) Image search: [Google]
spurdo respond.png
25 KB, 759x551
>>1005158

Guys tell me about this
>>
>>1005959
that's apples to oranges m8

personally, I can't deal with fucking people. let alone manage them.

If you're fine managing people, then you're gonna have to get someone else's opinion on what is better.
>>
>>1000749
What about industrial engineering?
>>
Graduating with an econ major, math minor.. what the fuck do i do with this besides investment banking, it just seems like kind of a shit career path unless you can somehow jump to associate..
>>
>>1005979
Insurance, actuary, regular commercial banking. I guess what they call an analyst. which is a super broad term.
>>
>>1005979
1. Get a masters in actuarial science, work in the comfy insurance industry
2. Get a masters or phd in financial engineering, work for a hedge fund, make bank.
3. Start your own business, work hard for years, retire comfortably with a legacy to pass onto your children
4. Go for a PhD in Finance, econ, or math, get tenure, be comfy.

These are your options other than IB
>>
>>1005977
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
hey dudes just got accepted to MIT should I go into sloan for financial engineering or got for a phd in applied math for algo trading and that hubbub
>>
I did math and econ and it got me a normal fucking office job back office in finance. and it was hard (months) to get a job. it's not that great really. the salary is shit.
>>
>>1006735
its more about if you are really want a phd. it's years of lost earnings not to mention tough.
>>
File: patrick bateman 33.jpg (62 KB, 803x726) Image search: [Google]
patrick bateman 33.jpg
62 KB, 803x726
Accounting major here, I'm just glad I can easily get a job once I finish. Even if I end up bored with the field I can easily apply the experience I pick up to another career. Things are lookin good my /biz/ bros.
>>
I'm in my junior year of school majoring in Agricultural Economics with a minor in Stats I got a internship lined up with the USDA this summer I hope they will offer me a job when I graduate if not I plan on going to grad school to get a masters degree in Environmental Economics
>>
>tfw Finance with all IS/CS and Math electives
>>
Is business administration worth something these days?
>>
Guys which one would be better for getting my foot in finance? I don't care if it isn't IBD, I just want to have the best chance of breaking in the industry after I graduate.
>Finance w/ coop
>Finance econ double major
>Applied math and econ double major
School wont let me do applied math and finance qq.
>>
>>1001013
>>1001012
Taking into account what this anon said

After I get out (if I get out) of the military, should I use my ticket for a free bachelors on CS+Finance, or Pre-med?

I'm not bad at math, but I need to study it to be adequate. I'm great with science, and technology comes quickly to me.
>>
File: 1447961079393.jpg (76 KB, 488x448) Image search: [Google]
1447961079393.jpg
76 KB, 488x448
>>1000749
>going to college to make money
>>
>>1007636
Cs/finance.
Medicine blows
>>
>>1008860
>going to college and not making money
This is a special kind of stupid.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 171x166) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 171x166
>>1000749
That feel when double majoring in accounting and finance
>>
>>1000793
Dude...in the words of accountants...that's basically fucking redundant
>>
>>1000796

>Don't be a sperg

bwahaahhaahah

>Likelihood

>>
>>1000749
Double major Neurosci Financial & Business Economics BSc= God Tier. Any stem+finance double major= God Tier.
>>
>>1000749
I'm doing engineerin/commerce, where does that go?
>>
>>1008911
>engineerin/commerce
...why?
>>
File: trump.jpg (22 KB, 580x302) Image search: [Google]
trump.jpg
22 KB, 580x302
math fag here wishing to get a quant job. should i continue going for math and get a phd there or get a double major? in a top 50 school btw
>>
>>1010868
ask your college advisors and professors, not us.
>>1005860
As if any reputable college offers a degree in "analytics"

analyst are just spergs who serve the real businessmen. There is no real money in it.
>>
Would actuarial science fall under "math and finance/econ" or should I just go for a double major in those exact disciplines?
>>
File: degree tiers.jpg (240 KB, 791x722) Image search: [Google]
degree tiers.jpg
240 KB, 791x722
Report reportin' in
>>
>>1010898
my college advisors are not people in the finance industry. /biz/ has people in the finance industry. i'd prefer advice from someone in the industry
>>
>>1010954
MFE or related is pretty much standard for quants now. The whole"Physics and Math PHD's getting taken by wall street" thing ended a long time ago.
I would suggest continuing your math, then getting into a good quant program in the North East.
>>
>>1010942
The point is that we're posting business majors, not majors in general. Stem is always good, but that's not what the discussion is about.
>>
>>1011052
but it definitely is possible and likely to get into that industry by a math or cs phd, right?
>>
>>1005158
Financial accounting usually means you'll stay in with CPA firms and do audit and tax work. Which starts as shitty pay but goes up fairly quickly the longer you stay. Managerial goes more into industry which means you'll work at companies that need accountants where you'll work on costs and such. Managerial starts higher but doesn't increase like financial. Managerial is typically less strenuous as well.

>>1006983
It really does feel so fucking good. I was a finance major and job options looked shitty but I switched and now I couldn't be happier. Head hunters come to my college all the time
>>
Can someone tell me what all this quant shit is? I never see job openings or any advertisements for what type of 'quant' work you can do or shit like that.
>>
God Tier
>Engineering/MBA then make 150k and become CEO
>>
File: 0768 - JlXtPpf.png (78 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
0768 - JlXtPpf.png
78 KB, 412x351
I never know how to feel when threads like these pop up. I ruined my chance at an engineering degree and it left a very bad stain on my academic record. Knowing not only that I messed up my chance but also can't go back and try again is starting to kill me.
>>
>>1011681

Maybe you should look into HR or government work
>>
>>1011668

True talk
>>
>>1011686
most government jobs around here are bilingual, I don't speak french.
>>
>2015
>paying for any major other than double-majoring in mechanical engineering and another engineering, minoring in philosophy and business/entrepreneurship. Or pre-med in this mix somewhere.

Anything else is literally a waste of time.
>>
>>1000749

do anthropology so that when the liberals finally take over and rule everything they wont think youre a racist
>>
>>1011737
>double engineering, double minor, pre-med

you haven't been to college yet, have you
>>
>>1011681
don't feel bad mate, a lot of schools fuck people up with ridiculous programs. There are a lot of people who would make great engineers but can't, because the degree requirements turn otherwise curious people into zombies.
>>
>>1011760

true advice - this guy is a gentleman/scholar
>>
>>1011737
you're cute.
>>
Just to spoil the thread, Math/Econ dual major graduate reporting in with part time minimum wage job.
>>
>>1003614
Depends on the area you live, Scotland I hear wants Geologists but the rest of the UK doesn't
>>
What tier is interaction design with focus on human factors engineering? Planing to work on automation and autonomous cars/planes
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 900x900
>>1011987
Nice networking retard lmao
>>
>>1012085
Hey, you gotta do what's necessary in the meantime of finding your skilled job...
>>
I need help picking what I want to do next year. The degrees are translated from German, so if it sounds wrong, that's why.
- Statistics
- International Business
- International Economics
- Actuarial Science
- Financial and business mathematics
- Information Technology/Information Systems/CS/whatever the fuck

Which one would you guys recommend?
>>
>>1012164
International business. learn Chinese. I know Chinese-German trade is rising. I don't really know anything about the finance sector situation in Germany. If you really want to make money, try to immigrate to Switzerland.
>>
Sup fellas. I just graduated with a degree in Game Design, BFA. A as in art degree..

I know I kinda fucked myself, but DESU I resented college work and just wanted to focus on a passion. I worked with a start up but long story short, we didn't produce or generate a reasonable amount of revenue. I'm not confident that I can keep passing off as a producer and designer, while landing good jobs - considering my experience.

I've been programming for a reasonable amount of time and have been considering a career in CS. I'm worried though, about having the discipline to become highly-competent, and of becoming a more isolated person if I find the dedication and succeed.

>tldr: I don't want to sink 10k hours in programming and still feel like a scrub
>>
>>1012171
>If you really want to make money, try to immigrate to Switzerland.
Is it really that much better in Switzerland? If so why not much more Germans go there?
>>
>>1012175
Immigrating to Switzerland is fucking hard.
>>
>>1012178
I know I could just google it, but why so hard? Don't you get a working visa or something if you find a job there?
>>
>>1012181
You have to prove no one else in Switzerland can do the job you can do. So it is mostly research scientist who get work visas, which is only part of the process.
>>
>>1012178
>>1012175
>>1012181
>>1012193
20% of people that live in switzerland are immigrants. The problem is that Switzerland has the highest cost of living in the world. It's double Germany's amount, while its economy isn't that much better (worse, depending on what measurement you use).
>>
File: 1389257725422.jpg (27 KB, 404x267) Image search: [Google]
1389257725422.jpg
27 KB, 404x267
Am I going somewhere if I choose to start a BA in business administration coupled with an IT orientation (things like SAP for example)?
>>
>>1001440

What do you expect? This board is full of 18-23 year-olds who still think that their degree will actually have a bearing on their long-term career.
>>
Accounting & IS double major here.

Definately not god tier. Your starting salary will most likely be around 55k - 60k, work an average of 50 hours a week, and have it slightly less boring than the average accountant...
>>
>>1010942
>Military
>Listed as a degree

What? I've enlisted into the military. As far as college goes, it's just something that pays for college, and lets you get into better colleges you could've gotten into prior to being in the military.

tldr; Military is just a stat booster if you play your cards.
>>
File: jim carrey.png (51 KB, 183x166) Image search: [Google]
jim carrey.png
51 KB, 183x166
>not doing math/cs with minor in econ or finance
>>
>>1012439
Genuinely curious, why that?
>>
>>1000749
software engineering and finance here

Will I make it to investment banker, specifically a trader role?

I feel the software will come in useful for writing algorithms
>>
>CPA + accounting top tier
>Accounting only mid tier
>accounting with out a degree shit tier

you know there are people out there who do this
>>
>>1007632
Definitely Finance + Co Op.

Fin + Econ is kinda redundant desu

Econ + Math if you want to do grad studies
>>
Majoring in accounting, got minors in operations management and (corporate) finance. Feels good man. One of them I did on student exchange.

What minor should I pick for my masters? Gonna major in management accounting.
>>
>>1011643
Hey, anyone?
>>
>>1012439
...why do I keep seeing this picture with a post about CS?
>>
>>1012164
Everything, except international business and international economics are good to go. Information Technology/Information Systems isn't great either imo (CS is).

I'd choose Statistics, Actuarial Science or Financial and business mathematics (if it is (similar to) Econometrics, otherwise I wouldn't know much about it)
>>
CS major here. My school is pretty good for CS but only okay for finance. If I tack on a finance major or minor, how do you think that will change my career prospects?
>>
>I studied History and Politics

Have a comfy job with great prospects

Not even rused
>>
>>1014996
Finance major will get you some experience in the subject and will make it easier to get into finance or econ grad programs. If you network well in the business school, you might even get into working for a cushy hedge fund if you can do machine learning/algorithm work competently.
>>
So I'm thinking of going into marketing, not as a career really, but it's something that interests me and my main goal actually is to start my own business, i have certain things started for my business and what not, anyways am i kill /biz/?
>>
>>1014914
Don't do business or financial math, the are watered down math courses and the employers know it. Actuarial field is getting a lot of foreigners coming in and it is kind of hyped. Stats is good as long as you get at least a masters. If you want big bucks, network and try to follow international money, people will always import and export.

>>1014996
your CS degree will already net you a higher pay than going into wallstreet, silicon valley will throw wads of cash at you, but investment banking will make sure you earn your spot and pay you less because they know every employee sees the first job as a step to the next promotion to the big bucks, so they will underpay you.
>>
>>1015245
Just be sure that you're not an autist, understand math and econ enough to actually be able to quantify your work ( not "this is pretty, let's make it our billboard" type woman shit), and have a genuine interest in informing people rather than tricking them into buying shit they don't need.
>>
Legit question: I'm on track for a BA in econ which is pretty quantitative (econometrics as well as a lot of advanced micro w/ calc) and minoring in stats. I genuinely like stats and do well in stats classes, at least compared to calc based classes, but not enough time left to double major. How do I convey that to potential employers? Most of my friends are doubling and I feel like I'm at a disadvantage.
>>
Electrical engi, mechanical engi, or mechatronics?
>>
>>1015249
>Actuarial field is getting a lot of foreigners coming in and it is kind of hyped
Source?
>>
>>1015668
read this thread
http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-discussion-forum/showthread.php?12347-Is-it-possible-to-get-actuary-position-on-H1/page3&s=64274294fe903290b4ab5daa5e8809c0

hang around actuarial forums and you will see it is a growing problem.
>>
Bcom major w/ CA and 1 year left till my LLB. What do my job prospects look like considering I'm in Canada? I wanna travel.
>>
>>1015793
>hang around actuarial forums and you will see it is a growing problem.
Fair enough, any tips for browsing actuarial forums? Like, any words I should know or things to look out for?
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.