[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the fuck is 'networking'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: 1271169595725.jpg (56 KB, 547x393) Image search: [Google]
1271169595725.jpg
56 KB, 547x393
i graduated from uni recently and apparently i didn't do a good job 'networking'

i know some people, might even want to call them 'friends' although i don't really hang out with them much anymore, it was more situational. regardless, they're all about my age, around half are about to graduate and half just did.

so how is this supposed to get me a better job?
>hey boss, yeah i know i just got hired 6 months ago but i know this guy anon with almost no work experience but he's a smart dude, you should give him a chance!

it is seriously beyond my comprehension how this shit even works. i managed to get an internship at basically minimum wage pay, now i make double at the same place (which is mediocre pay) but that was just luck tbqh, i made websites in high school and put HTML/CSS/PHP on my resume and got the job that way. my major has nothing to do with web design at all.
>>
That is what college is for. You're supposed to go to clubs, events, conferences, presentations, etc, and shake as many hands and make as many connections as possible.
>>
>>24836067
>hey boss, yeah i know i just got hired 6 months ago but i know this guy anon with almost no work experience but he's a smart dude, you should give him a chance!
It's almost like how people will believe an eyewitness at a crime, even if they've been denounced to be bullshit. People want to trust other people
>>
>>24836097
this is why college is for normies, and if you're a robot and fell for the college meme you're retarded
>>
>>24836114
>It's almost like how people will believe an eyewitness at a crime, even if they've been denounced to be bullshit. People want to trust other people
it's a little bit different though because you can't know what happened without a video tape, physical evidence, or a witness

when it comes to a job you could get hired based on your resume alone (like i was)

>graduated from a high ranked uni (means he's smart)
>got a mid- to high-level degree (means he can work hard)
>semi-relevant work experience (means less time wasted training)

"connections" are literally bullshit. that kid that did robitussin every day and dropped out but still got a job at his daddy's accounting firm? yes, such a great employee i'm sure!
>>
>>24836097
>tfw poor as fuck
>tfw always felt out of place in places where everyone was dressed nicely
>tfw couldn't go to the career fair because everyone else wore a suit and tie and i only had a $15 walmart polo
>tfw couldn't stay in the fraternity and live on easymode because parents didn't have money

;_;
>>
>>24836204
>"connections" are literally bullshit. that kid that did robitussin every day and dropped out but still got a job at his daddy's accounting firm? yes, such a great employee i'm sure!

That is nepotism. Very different from networking. Networking is where you meet a potential employer at a conference and impress them during casual chitchat using good interpersonal skills and actually being intelligent in your field. You need to be a good candidate for most jobs in order to properly network.
>>
>>24836228
You went to college but couldnt afford a dress shirt at least?
>>
>>24836547
couldnt get a job and my parents gave me $300/mo. rent was $400 alone. i sold speed and xanax and did people's essays and homework just so i could eat. i own 1 dress shirt now because my friend outgrew it
>>
>>24836526
i got an econ/business degree i don't have a field
>>
>engineering major
>missed career fairs because working on projects
>missed corporate circles because studying
>spent free time catching up on sleep and exercising so I don't die from stress
>entire college career trying to fight off the depressive/anxious thoughts
>commuter so never got face time with profs, always correspond through emails
>got a degree
>no references
>no lasting relationships
>no career connections
>1+ year into job search and no luck
>3-5 years experience required for all entry level positions
>student loans in deferment, getting raped by interest

College education the gr8est b8
>>
Real jobs are hired from the inside, not the outside. It is 100% about who puts in a good word for you.

Did you think your resume actually mattered? Resumes are just a meme to placate people who have no chance in hell at employment but still want to believe.
>>
>>24836067
>hey boss,
More like
>hey, rich father, can you set anon up with a top management job in the family business? he's a friend.
>>
>>24836067
From what I gather it's a politically correct term referring to cronyism in the private sector
>>
>>24836699
>>24836723
>>24836748
i dont get it. why don't they hire the most qualified rather than the most popular? if the point is to profit anyway...
>>
>>24836699
This is bullshit.

In the UK 1/3 of places on graduate schemes go to people who interned with the company. This is what they mean by networking:

- Go to company presentation events, get business cards off people at the event
- Email those people thanking them for their card, and inquiring if they can answer a few questions about the company (culture, desired approach to problems, etc)
- Mention those people in applications for internships.
- The HR department looks up the people you spoke to and asks them about you.
- Proceed to interview.

DESU I think the importance is probably overstated for most people unless you come from some posh public school background and play for the rugby team. Old rugby team members love to hire current rugby team members, it's fucked up.
>>
>>24836824
>Go to company presentation events
i'm confused about this. where do these things happen?
>>
>>24836812
This is not a meritocracy, anon.
>>
> Be art major
> Networking consists of going to DIY events, house shows, new-media art pieces, etc.
> Get drunk/baked with friends
> Everybody has multiple hobbies and careers (some are models, DJ's, artists, students, business owners...)
> Get offered shows just for showing up and being able to talk about art or just basically showing up and watching the bands.

For all the degeneracy artists get accused of, they're the most interesting people to hang out with. While I have seen a lot of really bad art and a lot of generic noise bands, I've also seen some inspiring and engaging shit. If you can put up with the stereotypical "experimental college arts bullshit", you'll find a community of open minded people and some real pure artistic talent.
>>
>>24836812
Most graduate resumes are pretty much identical in terms of value and recruiters realise that lots of good employees don't necessarily have relevant work experience or top grades, so having a personal connection at the company (which you mention in your app as most multinationals are massive) is a good way to stand out from the crowd.

This is for publicly advertised jobs. If you have a close connection at a smaller enterprise who don't hire in yearly cycles, then you can use them to tap into their HR department and be notified in advance for vacancies/get your resume subtly moved to the top of the pile.

>>24836847
See if you can join a university mailing list for your preferred industry, they will advertise events. If your university has a careers office, they will usually advertise them as well. Wear a nice suit.

>>24836875
I wish I'd done art.
>>
>>24836862
>run a company
>want to make profits most efficiently because of competition
>need a new employee
>check resume stack, see a guy who went to a top ranked uni, semi-relevant work experience, graduated recently so probably doesn't have high pay expectations or personal responsibilities that would get in the way of work
>"hey boss i know a guy who is smart, you should just hire him lol"
>>
>>24836875
I'm in the same boat anon, Painting is the shit, but dear god do actual art normies get annoying
SO MUCH COLORED HAIR AND TUMBLR FUCK
and I am getting really sick of seeing every work by girls be strictly about feminism or "their sexuality"
>>
>>24836067
>>24836097
>>24836116

You don't need to network in college to get a job.

You just need to learn how to speak to people and not give a shit when they criticize you. That's how you get a job faggots.
>>
>>24836975
If you want to deal, you need to obey those rules. You give special treatment to those people you know and they will return the favour.
>>
>>24836893
honestly family i just dont think i'm cut out to make it. i'm just gonna consider myself lucky to make a bit over minimum wage and live a life of frugality and masturbation. my degree is just in general business/econ at the top ranked uni in the state but if i actually have to talk to people about business stuff i'll probably just ruin my chances. i lucked out getting a job at a small company and i just adderall'd my first few weeks into importance. i don't know if i could do it again. my best bet is honestly just getting more time here at this job and lying about my experience to fit whatever the company demands.
then i'll just buy a cabin in the woods and hunt deer to survive, might last a year if i'm lucky. there's nothing about this world i like anyway so i might as well die
>>
>>24837098
If you're doing business/econ getting an internship at a multinational bank or financial services company should be a doddle m8
>>
>tfw boss loves me

She's basically asked me to pick someone for her to hire, the only criteria being male, clean piss, and me thinking they can handle it. It sucks because I recently talked with a qt gas station attendant for 15 minutes and she was very interested in my job and I told her to apply. I wish I had a business card to give her I told her to apply. This was before my boss asked me to pick someone too. She was top tier qt and shouldn't be working for scraps in some gas station. I don't really hae friends so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I talked with a guy in my class recently who seemed somewhat familiar with mental health shit so I might offer it to him. Maybe we can get to be friends. I'm sure whatever job he has is less fun than mine.
>>
>>24837144
i already graduated i have a year work experience at a web design company. i basically make websites and manage databases

i couldnt get an offer at any bank. my friend did because his cousin worked at one, but i don't know anyone except people my age
>>
>>24837309
The connection ride never ends. But your previous plan is fine. You have to start out low even with a degree so stay at your current job no matter what. Never leave unless you are officially hired somewhere else. It's tough.
>>
>Graduate Uni
>Have shitty job
>Know someone with good job
>He gives my CV to boss
>25000GBP starting, housing paid for
>Live in Singapore

>Networking
>>
>>24837370
how much do you think i need to afford a cabin in the woods with an internet connection?
>>
>>24836997
>You just need to learn how to speak to people
That's exactly what networking is you fucking retard
>>
>>24837441
not really because most people are useless for getting a job. you have to speak to the right people
>>
File: 1401332314940.jpg (7 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
1401332314940.jpg
7 KB, 231x218
D-do I need to network if I'm doing Chemistry?
>>
>>24837376
That's a lot of good boy points, anon
>>
Networking is nepotism, it's knowing the right people. Most employers will pick someone they know first, or ask those who work for them for recommendations. Just make sure you have friends and family in whatever line of work you want to find yourself in.
>>
>be american
>pay thousands dollars to go to college
>be bullied by BLM, SJW and other degenerates
>spend days in jail under false rape accusation
>finally graduate
>can't get shot
>get shot

Seriously, what is wrong with your country.

In France, networks are important too and you try to get/keep contacts, but America always go full retard
>>
File: 1435140568792.jpg (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1435140568792.jpg
36 KB, 500x500
>>24837837
can't get a job*
>>
Businesss school fag here. They drill this into you pretty quick that if you don't network you won't get a job. Right now I haven't done any since I don't have a suit to wear not to mention I have no idea how to talk to people professionally so I'll probably wait until Senior Year, fuck it up, and work at Target for the rest of my life with crushing debt on my shoulders.
>>
>>24837746
Depends
Do you want to do any kind of research?
>>
>>24837746
my roomate is a chemical engineering major and he cant get a job for shit so he's going to grad school. highest ranked uni in the state btw
>>
>>24837795
>Just make sure you have friends and family in whatever line of work you want to find yourself in.

tfw small family
tfw friends have random mediocre jobs like me
>>
>>24837851
yeah pretty much the same as me. i still dont own a suit and i graduated 6 months ago KEK. i'm bulking though
>>
>>24837746
Definitely. If you want to do anything good, you'll need people to listen to you. And you'll need influential friends.

There's only so many research bux to go around. Unless you're looking to be a lab monkey.
>>
File: 1448855491724.png (27 KB, 507x323) Image search: [Google]
1448855491724.png
27 KB, 507x323
>>24836097
I doubt this is the case. So what if someone decides to move to another town or city and start a new life without knowing anyone or having any connections, then would become of their employment opportunities?
Let's also consider the fact that people do move to other cities as a newcomer and STILL get jobs. Otherwise, if the networking meme were true, then everyone would have to stay in their hometowns or home-cities for life.
>>
>>24836097
so basically if you're a poorfag who has to work in your free time to afford food and rent you're fucked?

JUST
>>
>>24838081
When people move for work, they move into areas that have a shortage of workers with their particular set of skills.
Others wind up working really shitty low paid jobs, until they make enough friends to move up in life.
>>
>>24837865
Yes
>>24838072
How do I network? I haven't talked to a single person who wasn't my professor so far, but this is my first year of college so I shouldn't be too fucked, right?
>>
>>24836097
>what are college internship programs

No need to pretend to be a politician, just get "experience".
>>
>>24838132
I see. So the ground rule for newcomers and transplants would be to move to the city with the highest employment available.
I hope I can make it considering I won't be knowing anyone.
>>
You guys realize that there is no "right" way of getting anywhere. Sometimes you'll get hired out of nowhere, sometimes you'll get a connection from an internship, sometimes a friend will get you in, sometimes family will get you in. There's no wrong way to do these things
>>
>>24838262
>There's no wrong way to do these things
sure there is. if you're a failure you clearly did something wrong. some people are fucked from birth. some people aren't completely fucked but they are destined to be mediocre. i think that's what my case is, i've just come to accept it. i dont know anyone and i am too much of a sperg to "network" which is normiespeak for socialize about work. in fact i just recently learned that some people actually enjoy their careers and chose them because it makes them happy. i honestly can't imagine any job that would make me happier than this one which pays alright ($15/hr) and takes care of all of my expenses because it is so relaxed and i can shitpost for hours while my boss thinks i'm working.
well maybe i could become self-employed but i dont have startup cash, i'm not good at talking to people, and i have no good ideas.

i hope to retire in my 30s with a small house and just buy food in bulk and hunt deer for meat. i don't really need money for anything but food and a place to live. and i guess gas for my car so i can drive to get food. if i get sick, cancer or something i'll probably just die desu
>>
>>24837746
>Study chemistry
>Go to mexico
>Teach them how to make home made drugs
>You become a drug lord within days
>Private military behind your back
>Weapons at our disposal
>14th Kingpin of Latin America

This is my dream
>>
>>24826098
Translation:
>I didn't get a job because I'm a lazy piece of shit

Try having your family not give you anything and putting yourself through school you piece of shit.
>>
>>24838081
Networking makes it easier to get a job. It's not impossible if you don't know anyone, but it is more difficult you dipshit.
>>
File: 1449542187160.png (106 KB, 658x610) Image search: [Google]
1449542187160.png
106 KB, 658x610
>>24839300
Woah what's with the hostility?
get that pinecone out your asshole
>>
Literally everything is networking. Anyone who made it up this bullshit corporate ladder sucked cocks to get there. Its all about kissing the right asses, cultivating the right personality to get those recommendations.

I hear people say College is a meme but my word is the corporate ladder the biggest meme there is. What a bunch of bullshit. Going nowhere if you don't talk about UEFA or EPL with the right suit.

Entrepreneurship is the only respectable way for autists to ever make it.

Wasting your time at the secret club that is the workplace.
>>
File: 142345647432.jpg (43 KB, 348x336) Image search: [Google]
142345647432.jpg
43 KB, 348x336
It's more about becoming friendly with people in a decent position in the career you want to go into who might help you out after you graduate. You know, when you get someone in to do a career talk or whatever, shoot the shit with them after and hope they remember you. That's pretty much it.

It's really fucking annoying because only outgoing, assertive Chad's are usually the only ones capable of it. Whenever a guy came in for a talk with him, I'd go to chat after, see a few people waiting and bottle it. Extroverts are built to win.
>>
>>24838187
Biochem major here.

Start:

Answer questions in class, even if you're unsure about them. Think about interesting questions to ask regarding the material. Ask your prof these questions after class. Try to do this often but don't force it unless you have something to actually ask.

Ask said prof if you can volunteer in their lab during your free time in the week. It'll probably work out to just a few hours out of the week. Ask questions. Talk to the people in the lab. This will show your interest and hopefully intelligence.

Keep an eye out for NIH (USA) or NSERC (if canada) or other such grants that support students working in labs. Bring it up with your prof, say you're interested in working there full time for a summer. Work there full time for a summer. Sometimes they will ask you if you want to do a summer work project. Do it.

After it's over, go back to volunteering. Maybe do an honours thesis with your prof. Above all, keep in touch. If you need letter of reference, this guy/gal is who you're going to ask. If you're not volunteering in the fall, send them a holiday card to keep your foot in the door.

When you graduate, you'll want to do grad school. If the prof you spoke to was interesting, directly email them a few months before graduation (4+ months) and ask if they want a grad student. If they thought you were good, then they'll take you in. If they dont, then search for a supervisor you are interested in (or ask your guy if he knows someone good), email them directly with a cover letter outlining who you are, why you're interested in THEIR research specifically, and your qualifications, a resume/CV, and your transcript. Usually this works. Dont get baited into making a general application to grad school because you won't get a position that way, you need to contact researcher directly.
>>
>>24837933
I'm a chemical engineer and I can't get a job for shit because I'm too scared to even apply.
I know they won't hire me since I have no experience and crap grades anyway.
Also at an uvy league uni

I've never done an interview, have had just a couple schedule and didnt even show up. I just don't think I'm cut out for the real world
>>
>>24841019
you're scared to email a resume?
>>
>>24841297
can't get a job without an interview

and here's my entire resume

"Chemical Engineer - Cornell University"
>>
>>24841574
Post an email I can send a good undergrad resume template to
>>
>>24841809
aIright fampai
>>
File: 1449544553201.jpg (21 KB, 450x376) Image search: [Google]
1449544553201.jpg
21 KB, 450x376
>mfw I didn't even realize the e-mail field has been gone until right now
[email protected]
>>
My networking consisted of relentlessly harassing every single employer in my field within 100 mile radius for unpaid work experience until someone caved. That led to a paid internship which led to a full time job. Now I'm making bank. Got to be proactive brobots because if you don't have a wet hole you've got to bring something to the game.
>>
>college/university
>not going for vocational school to get skilled and/or certified without racking up a debt
I want the filthy millennials to leave
>>
>>24842481
i had no idea what i wanted to do senpai. i got into a good uni and they said "oh 3/4 of students change their major" and "you'll find your passion when you take all of these gen ed classes" etc.

all i realized was that work fucking sucks and i hate everything so i just opted to get a general degree hoping that employers would see it and figure i'm a smart guy & hard worker because i graduated. i got a job but it's mediocre
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.