[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you will never be a genius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
>tfw you will never be a genius
>>
>tfw not born a genius
>>
>>24489883
>being smart is my main character trait, when people are asked about me thats the first word they use or something else like genius or brilliant
>tfw actually not that smart
>>
>tfw high enough IQ to be in the 99.65 percentile but low enough not to accomplish anything important
>>
who else has a deep desire to devote their lives to the one and only thing that they love?

>tfw haven't found what i love
>>
>>24489936
People have called me smart many times, i just think everyone around me is too stupid
>>
>Tfw ""genius leve IQ"" (had to have it tested as a kid for private schools? or some shit?)
>Will never "be a genius" because of my inability to do basic tasks or handle even a modicum of responsibility
>Professors recognize my writing, use it to teach their own students how to think
>Get handed easy as shit tutor job
>Read the papers of the idiots who go to my "elite" school for ~6 hrs each week
>numb myself
>>
>>24489985
what "elite" school do you attend?
>>
>>24489959
I'm trying to write a statement of purpose for this scholarship program... haha... haaaa... purpose.. lol
>>
>>24490010
It's not Ivy, but it's supposed to be one of (or maybe the) most "academically rigorous" liberal arts schools. So feel free to guess
>>
>>24490036
Mckenna
>>
File: 1447914255626.gif (325 KB, 370x330) Image search: [Google]
1447914255626.gif
325 KB, 370x330
>tfw pretended to be smart for so long that I actually became smart
>>
Why would anybody want to be a genius besides to possibly invent something and monetize it?

Its much more common and fulfilling to be artistic, literally the whole work of geniuses just recolves around making sure artists can do their thing.
>>
>>24489985
whats it like to be a genius?
is there a way anybody else can become a genius or do you just have to be born into it?
>>
>>24490059

Incorrect. Meanwhile, my last tutoring shift consisted of talking to a classics major about her period blood reading of a Roman novella. And it was actually maybe the only worthwhile paper to cross my desk.
>>
>>24490118

I don't know what it's like not to be.. But I guess I have to stop myself from participating in class too much, I get too into it and I have to let the art majors uhhh and liiiikeee out their inane musings. I honestly believe it's just because my parents read to me like 24/7 as a kid, so I progressed quickly and read for my whole childhood.
>>
File: 1433039179772.png (170 KB, 483x476) Image search: [Google]
1433039179772.png
170 KB, 483x476
>tfw you have slight mental retardation

at least i know how to leech of others well enough to sustain my existence.
>>
>>24490103
so you don't consider john coltrane, mozart, or michelangelo as genius?
>>
>>24490103

Genius isn't like an all-encompassing super-cognition. Everyone I've met that I consider a genius has certain ways of processing ideas and solving problems which make them better at certain things. And creative genius seems like 5% insight and 95% practicing with the medium.
>>
>>24490103
Making great art requires a genius intellect. My lack of it prevents me from making anything truly great.

>>24489959
Yes but I'm not intelligent enough to truly engage with the things I love. It brings me great pain.
>>
>>24490359
what are the things that you love?
>>
We all never going to be genius because genius dont actually exist.

I have seem a lot of people that are considered geniuses and they all say the same thing: it was all really hard work for the most part.
>>
>>24490424
this is exactly what someone in denial would say

>but my mom told me that i am smart!
>>
>>24490424
It's both

they work hard and they're really smart.

Basically in most cases working hard will let you beat out a good percentage of the population. But when you get towards the tail end of the bell curve, innate talent matters and working hard is a prerequisite
>>
>>24489959
it makes me really sad that unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth, this isn't really a possibility, at least without being perceived as a failure by everyone around you
tfw no erik satie life
>>
>>24490402
Math and philosophy.
>>
robot genius here, made a thread to indulge my narcissism and loneliness: >>24490470
>>
>>24490168
Theres a difference I mean, I thought OP was talking about logical sort of genius
>>
the real question to ask is, would mozart be mozart without his father teaching him music from the age of 3 years old?

i sincerely doubt he would.
>>
>>24490546
The why did he post a picture of Mozart?
>>
>>24490453
Whatever m8, keep telling yourself that there are people with a magic thing called talent.
>>24490479
Even if this is true, I am pretty sure its almost all hard work and a little something that can be classified as talent.
>>
>>24490564
I consider it on par like physical abilities. There are transcendental talents that completely separate them from the rest but for the majority of the population I completely agree it's hard work
>>
>>24490564
>Whatever m8, keep telling yourself that there are people with a magic thing called talent.
face it, the brains of some people enable them to be who they are

not everyone can be the next monet as long as they just "work hard," regardless of what your 2nd grade teacher told you
>>
>>24490554
Plenty of people are taught music from that age; very few of them have ever approached Mozart's greatness.
>>
being a genius is overrated when you can't use it properly.

I'm just an average Joe that has gone insane over the years for trying to be too rational. I feel nothing but emptiness in my every day life since I am now devoid of lot of emotions that make someone a human.

It serve no purpose being smart in this world if you cannot put it anything useful in practice.
>>
>>24490564
>I am pretty sure its almost all hard work and a little something that can be classified as talent.
That's pretty bullshit. Assuming you're moderately intelligent you should have met people you can effortlessly out-think. High school is legitimately hard for some people and galois revolutionized his subfield of math by himself before age 20. Large differences in inherent ability clearly exist, why do you assume you happen to be near the ceiling?
>>
>>24490608
the difference is most of those people did not have their instructor as a parent. mozart did not have a formal education, he literally lived and breathed music his entire life from childhood.

sure he had talent, but his instruction was probably more important in shaping who he was
>>
>>24490690
What I believe is that there must be something they have done through thwir life that made they think the way they do, I believe most people have this capacity but their life circumstances were different.
And most people that find high school difficult just didnt understand how learning something works, maybe they just never tried, I believe it's a matter of circumstance.
>>
>>24490119
Vassar
Swathmore
Pomona
>>
>>24490118
>whats it like to be a genius
Honestly feel more and more retarded as time goes on. I got told I was smart, and a genius, and I would be a success my whole life. And here I am not even a semester worth of credits into community college and I'm 21. I just lose interest so fucking quickly in shit, and I have neurological issues that prevent me from connecting with other people. I'm sure it would be easier for me to not drop classes after 2 months if I made any sort of friendship with people in the class, but I just can't do it.

At the very least, I've had a few well paying jobs doing shit that interests me. Mainly statistics based shit. It's really unfortunate that my school has no statistics courses, and I want to major in statistics.

Anyway, I don't think being a genius, at least IQ wise, is all that great. It just feels like if comes with a bigger burden to succeed, more than anything else.

>is there a way anybody else can become a genius or do you just have to be born into it?
Mostly born with it. Nurture plays a big role, hence richer people having higher IQs.
>>
>>24490774
>I believe most people have this capacity but their life circumstances were different.
What evidence remotely points towards that?

They've even done studies on twins that were adopted into different backgrounds. IQ (no it's not perfect but it's certainly not meaningless) is mostly genetic.
>>
>>24490825
>looking for evidence
>on 4chan
only anecdotes here

: ^ )
>>
>>24490719
It certainly was important, bit I don't think it was his training alone that carried him to such great heights. I can't think of a single person we consider brilliant that didn't exhibit greatness in their youth.
>>
>>24490892
Well my anecdote is I put no effort into highschool and still scored a lot better than a bunch of organized, seeming hard workers on aps/sat/act. I mean you can just discount this and think I'm bullshitting or bragging but I legitimately don't see how any intelligent person could not have met people they were just effortlessly smarter than. I think most people who claim otherwise are either not that smart or just trying to be populist and show false humility.
>>
>>24491021
No I believe your story

but I was saying IQ is mostly hereditary
>>
>>24489883
You get a sex drive though, so there's always that. Oh wait you're here, poor you.
>>
I already am a genius. Like, legitimately so.

It's not any better, and I'm not any better a person for it. I earnestly hope to put it to use and make a positive difference in the world, but as things stand, I'm still on a long fucking journey.

It's also worth nothing that most of the people I admire are people I'm tangibly brighter than.
>>
>>24491089
If we didn't have a sex drive,we wouldn't be here.
>>
>>24490479
this here m8
>>
>>24490786
wroooong. I applied to vassar and swarthmore tho
>>
File: 1389563714188.jpg (32 KB, 500x587) Image search: [Google]
1389563714188.jpg
32 KB, 500x587
>>24491151
hello, fellow genius!
>>
Not a genius. I've seen real geniuses. Kids that solve a problem with cancer at age 15. I am not one, I am above average at best. I think have the prerequisite 120 IQ to do well in my chosen field. I'm actually a little depressed though, there's some poor rice farmer in china who got sick on the day of his test and could have cured AIDS or something already if he were in my shoes. Instead it's just me, better than average but not great. I wish I could make some sort of intelligence drug. Sadly I just have what I have and I'm trying to do the best with it.
>>24489959
That's what I'm doing. Hopefully hard work overcomes deficiency. At least my coursework never seems too hard.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.