[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's an idea. Certain parts of the internet have thei
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10
File: dialects.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dialects.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
Here's an idea. Certain parts of the internet have their own "dialects."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPasRas5u0
>>
>"B"
>>
Probably, but who the fuck cares? This guy should pull his dick out of his ass and kill himself already.
>>
I've noticed that redditors structure their sentences with a lot of commas (presumably representing pauses) as if they're making a particularly humorous or poignant point.
>>
Hey it's that guy that can't make a point without having a million meemees flash across the screen.

As for the dialect thing... over time internet communities develop their own identities and inside jokes. And when a certain type of posting style becomes dominant, monkey see, monkey doo.
>>
>>444235
I've noticed that 14 year olds who are desperate to fit in call everything reddit without actually understanding what it means. Like you, son. Gave yourself away, boy.
>>
>>444222
I'm more worried by
>jyfe
>>
If there's a 4chan dialect, what could be identifiable as a sub-dialect, like /b/'s? For instance, the /tv/ dialect often centers around the frequent use of "Reddit" opinions and pointing out such things, which has leaked onto boards like /v/ and /b/.
>>
i've actually been accused of having a tumblr accent
>>
>>444252
I'd have suspected it from that post alone. Tumblr in particular LOVES typing in lowercase without punctuation and I'm not sure why. When I see a post like that I'm like "Can you not".
>>
>>444254
Oh, this is a fun game. What website do you think I'm from?
>>
>>444259
4chan. That was easy.
>>
I hate numales
>>
>>444265
Son of a bitch.
>>
>>444222
>double trips going unchecked
shame
>>
>I've noticed that redditors, structure their sentences, with a lot of, commas (presumably representing, pauses) as if they're, making a particularly humorous, or poignant, point.

FTFY :)
>>
>>444241
But I literally mean redditors, people who post on the website reddit. I used to browse it quite often.

Nice try fuckface.
>>
>those cringeworthy comments

I want to respond to them, and tell them to stop, but I know it would just be stooping to their level
>>
>>444444
>>
File: 1455519609595.jpg (98 KB, 600x719) Image search: [Google]
1455519609595.jpg
98 KB, 600x719
2bqdesu family the "dialect" of 4chan is supposed to be purposely as impenetrable and off-putting to outsiders as possible. The constant influx of outsiders is the only thing keeping it basically English.

It's almost impossible to maintain a distinct dialect on an open site like this in the same way it's impossible to build a sandcastle in a sandstorm. If we wanted to keep people out we would have to actively work at it, and many of us do.

In other words: Our dialect consists of telling everyone to go the fuck back to wherever and making this site as rotten with shitposting as possible so nobody even wants to come back. Anyone who says otherwise isn't really from here.
>>
File: jacob.jpg (6 KB, 223x251) Image search: [Google]
jacob.jpg
6 KB, 223x251
>>444206
>those comments
>>
>>444706
>Anyone who says otherwise isn't really from here.
t. true scotsman
>>
>>444677
>>444751
I have YouTube comments off. Give me an example of what you guys are dealing with.
>>
File: 1455493525523.jpg (57 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1455493525523.jpg
57 KB, 540x720
>>445060
>"JIFES"
>> mfw obvious troll is obvious.

>tumblr: good job lil buddy here i found a gold star 4 u: *
>4chan: gr8 vid m8 i r8 it 8/8

>>says he's "running out of time"
>>keeps talking for eight more minutes

the extra meme arrows are in the comments
>>
>>444825
He's right tho
>>
>>444206
What is this trend of having pictures flash across the screen while people talk as fast as they can? Especially the pictures with an edit of the speaker's head on a different body.
>>
>>445211
It's a way to combat our society's lethargy. You have to actually put effort in if you want to comprehend everything that's going on in a video like that. I see it as the truly intellectual way to create a video.
>>
>>444206
Wh- of course it fucking does. Peoples on different parts of the internet using different formats and platforms have different ways of speaking. Nowhere except 4chan and old BBSs use greentext.
Its a good topic for an academic paper but I don't see how it's a question.
>>
>>445100
>He
>>
>>444244
that's how I pronounce it.

JEEEE-AYE-EFF.

Jeeaiif

Jyfe.
>>
>>444206
>SOCIAL CLUBS
Ishygddt
>>
File: dialects.jpg (83 KB, 866x632) Image search: [Google]
dialects.jpg
83 KB, 866x632
>that "Mother of Lel" pic at 0:23

Wow, I made that for [s4s] almost two years ago. I can link to the first time it was ever posted anywhere:

http://archive.4plebs.org/s4s/thread/2322919/#2323342

I want to get off this wild ride.
>>
>>446166
Good job. You succeeded in helping the internet do its thing. Hope you enjoyed yourself.
>>
>>444206
This guy has the most punchable face I've ever seen.
>>
>>446305
Never looked in a mirror?
>>
>>446609
>>
>>444235
I mean, you know, just because someone likes using commas and such, should not indicate reddit, as it's quite a common trope of many, like, say, myself, for instance
>>
>>444206
I think Mike always has good points it's just sometimes he uses dumb examples and graphics that undermine his argument

Obviously he and his team go through lots of research for each video, and some does make me think, but sometimes he overthinks too much and ends up sounding silly like this video
>>
>>444206
I don't really like the format of these videos, as obviously this is not an original 'idea' at all, but he sometimes says interesting things.
>>
>>446305
You'd probably like it over on reeeeeeddiiiiiiiiiit's /r/punchablefaces if you feel that way. Go post his face to that subreddit and watch that karma rooooooooll in.
>>
>>446645
Why do people type reddit with a lot of extra letters? Why is this a thing now?
>>
>>446664
I did it because I wanted you to read it like I was saying it really slowly to mock the person I was replying to. I'd assume other people do it for a similar reason if they do, though I've not yet seen somebody else do it.
>>
>>446664
first time I've seen it
>>446666
holy digits
>>
>>444706
it would have been intersting to see how far our language would have deviated from english.
>>
>>444206
Hes right. I can spot someone from 4chan outside 4chan even if they never mention it.

also hes a nu male
>>
>>444206
If someone greentexts, uses the word faggot when not talking about gays or uses the word kek i know they're from 4chan

I know someone is from tumblr if they use a shit ton of gifs and reaction images, type in lowercase and use the word fuckboy

Reddit is a little harder to spot but sometimes i can tell them by their "joke" circlejerks only a reddit fag would laugh at or if they're "mr enlightened atheist liberal"
>>
>>446709
Where am I from? Stackoverflow?
>>
>>446709
Don't forget "cancer."

Can't say I've really seen fuckboy on tumblr, though. That seems like a thing from /r9k/ specifically or something.
>>
File: 1396338823992.png (465 KB, 839x456) Image search: [Google]
1396338823992.png
465 KB, 839x456
>>446702
There's plenty of online communities that exist in a bubble that we can observe t answer that question. Luelinks for example requires an invite and a paid membership just to even see the site. They've been around about as long as 4chan and a good portion of their members have been there from the start.

They still speak english. If anything their dialect is kind of outdated internet speak. They say things like "xfd," which is an abbreviation of "X Fucking D" which is another way of saying "XD" meaning basically "lol." You probably couldn't get away with saying that here.
>>
>>446737
That's because they're a bunch of really old GameFAQs users that have never aged mentally past the age they were when they signed up for GameFAQs. They probably also do dumb things like italicizing quotes and referring to memes as "fads."
>>
File: spooky.jpg (109 KB, 500x748) Image search: [Google]
spooky.jpg
109 KB, 500x748
>>446737
spooky

>>446743
well, here we refer to fads as memes too. Like in "meme rock", "meme show", and the /g/ classic, "literally meme OS"
>>
>>446713
if you post bullshit that doesn't answer the question, and then shit on the lengthy and comprehensive reply, then yes.

yes, i mad
>>
>>446715
>fuckboy
>/r9k/
I remember for a long while I never read it out of /fa/, I think spelled fucboi. But I very rarely lurk /fa/ though, I think that's from years ago
>>
Greentext is nighly incomprehensible to someone who doesn't come to this place, it takes some time to get used to it.
>>
>>444677
I noticed I could immediately recognise people from 4chan by their avatars
>>
>>444254
>I'm not sure why.
hitting shift and punctuation keys takes slightly more effort
>>
>>447360
If anything it takes more effort not to do it since you have to specifically remember not to hit the keys. Which is why I can't respect that style of typing. They're making an effort to look casual and I hate when people force themselves to be something they aren't.
>>
>>444222
Mm m nice double trips m8
>>
>>447394
just because you would have to specifically think about it doesn't mean anyone would
>>
Every other Tumblr blog goes like:

>"Seriously? I mean, like, for real, am I, like, actually reading this right now? Like, oh my god, really?"

I've been told this is how people in LA talk.
>>
>>447394
it takes less effort to 'remember' (they don't 'remember' not to, it's the dominant posting style on the website) to not use shift and punctuation keys than to not hit them.
>>
>>444206
jaiffs
>>
>>446737
Ah, LL. I kind of wish I hadn't gotten my ass banned from there, but it was really the last conventional "forum" I still posted on.

Baby yETI shitposters still come on here though trying to force "sperg" on 4chan as if anyone gives a shit about asperger's anymore.
>>
>>446747
>>446715
Pretty sure fuckboy is just another "non-offensive" bloodless insult courtesy of tumblr, similar to shitlord and pissbaby.

I notice a lot of twitter SJWs like to use the word "butt" as a substitute obscenity too.
>>
>>446166
I had no idea there are people who steal [s4s] maymays.
>>
I've noticed some traits from reddit posters (actual reddit posters, not the boogeyman that /tv/ claims half their content is from). They tend to type really long posts, make lots of space breaks between lines, and use a pseudo-academic tone with lots of fluff words. Redditors also make a big effort to be "reasonable" and have moderate opinions. They waste a lot of effort being "unbiased" and "informative" (which usually means dumping loads of semi-relevant information every time they post).

Also another thing somebody mentioned once that I haven't been able to confirm is that redditors who post on 4chan often kill discussions because their posts aren't easy to respond to. As in, their posts aren't made to participate in discussion, but to be "comments" on a topic. Not something I've noticed, maybe somebody else has.
>>
File: Top_lel.jpg (47 KB, 304x315) Image search: [Google]
Top_lel.jpg
47 KB, 304x315
>>444254
>Tumblr in particular LOVES typing in lowercase without punctuation
Damn do I have to link this to a friend who types exactly like this all the time and despises tumblr.

>>447455
All of those sound fun to use tho.
Fuck tumblr for taking all the fun insults. :^(
>>
>>447465
>Damn do I have to link this to a friend who types exactly like this all the time and despises tumblr.

Yes. Link it with examples of tumblr typing in lowercase without punctuation, because they're pretty easy to find.
>>
>>447452
>as if anyone gives a shit about asperger's anymore.
What board do you come from that people don't use the word "autist" every third post. I kind of wish the LL slang caught on and people called each other "digital watch cargo shorts limp-wristed hand job spergbeards" instead.
>>
>>446709
I often see people in youtube / facebook comment sections trying to use meme arrows, but obviously never post here due to the hideous misuse that even someone from /b/ could spot. actual 4chan users, not /r/4chan readers will be the ones with the reaction image profile pictures and only commenting on anime videos or trump rallies. they'll always be more cynical / heavily use sarcasm, it's a kind of an attitude I guess, actual users just have a kind of anger / bitterness you can only attribute to here.

reddit users are really the easiest desu, they'll be the ones trying extremely hard to sound all profound and clever, and using cringeworthy phrases similar to >>446305 or >>444259. they've always got that forced 'positivity' that seems like they're just trying really fucking hard to fit in, or be approved of. its kinda something you have to know from experience, its hard to describe, but you can definitely spot it a mile off.

>>447455
fuckboy pisses me off to no end, I'd only known meaning effeminate gay men, when it started being used by cringey tumblr uses I was confused for ages
>>
>>447638
>its kinda something you have to know from experience, its hard to describe, but you can definitely spot it a mile off.

So basically what you're saying is that to spot a Redditor you have to be a Redditor yourself. I agree, as does a mod based on that one thread a while back.
>>
Anyone else seen people say "4Chan"? I think that is straight up the biggest indicator that the person has never been to the site and knows nothing about it, but is trying to pretend that they do because it's always accompanied by an extremely pompous post.
>>
this thread is so awesome, great thread guys :^)
>>
>>447713
Thanks!
>>
>>447687
I remember sayin "b" just to piss a guy off on Omegle
>>
>>447409
This is how upper-middle-class twentysomethings in US suburbs talk, more or less.
>>
>>447638
Yeah, but like, maybe you're just a negative nancy, and I'm a positive pete?

Also if you're a girl then tits or gtfo hahahaha get it?
>>
>4Chan
>/B/
>>
>>444206
It's called memes you dip.
>>
I've been noticing for a while that people on this site use "kek" a lot, generally in place of where they formerly would have used lol or lulz. But you don't see either of those nearly as much anymore, because it's pretty much become socially unacceptable to use them. Especially interesting considering "lulz" originated on this site. It's kinda funny how kek is just considered completely okay though. I wonder if someday people will be embarrassed to use that one too.
>>
>>450827
Some day people are going to be embarrassed to speak English.
>>
>>450827
honestly even kek seems to be going out of fashion, been seeing it a lot less lately
>>
>>451511
I think kek has become associated with the /b/ type, at this point. I don't even really use it myself anymore and just go the [s4s] route of saying something like: "This is such a worthwhile and hilarious post and you deserve all the praise." rather than just "kek", y'know.
>>
>>447638
So, in order to not get called a redditor, you need to tow the 4chan party line, by being excessively angry and bitter about everything and never dissent towards that general mindset. Thanks for confirming it for me.
>>
>>451519
Hello r3ddit!
>>
>>451516
>"This is such a worthwhile and hilarious post and you deserve all the praise."

Do they actually say that on [s4s]? I like that. Though I guess if I ever tried to use it legitimately I'd confuse people into thinking I was being sarcastic.
>>
>>451519
You guys are so, so obvious it's not even funny anymore.
>>
>>451927
Was it ever?
>>
>>450827
I'm probably the only person here who still uses lawl. It reminds me of old 4chan and old Internet in general.
>>
>>452353
I know someone who literally goes by the name Lawl, so perhaps not.
>>
>>451527
Not that phrase specifically, but similar ones, from time to time.

>confuse people into thinking I was sarcastic
Yes.
>>
>>452384
That was a very helpful and informative post and you deserve all the praise.
>>
>>451524
>>451927
I could show you my entire internet history, completely devoid of reddit, and you would STILL find some way to justify calling me a redditor. How the fuck do you become this delusional?
>>
>>444241
>, son
>, boy

your trying to hard
>>
>>447461

maybe you're just trying to be ironic cause you're stupid
>>
>>451516
>>450827
>>451511

ayy
>>
>>447461
So what you're saying is you can identify a 4chan user because they make short posts, are unreasonable, have extreme opinions, and are biased and uninformative
>>
>>452460
that's pretty accurate actually, yeah
>>
>>444206
Oh god, this reminds me of the dream I had last night

I had a dream that replies on 4chan were a lot bigger than the posts and that each post and reply had an upvote and downvote system, it scared the shit out of me
>>
>>452521
I think you might use this site too much.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.