[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Please note that although /news/ is a text board, the thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: ddds.png (272 KB, 794x1006) Image search: [Google]
ddds.png
272 KB, 794x1006
>Please note that although /news/ is a text board, the thread creator is permitted to upload an image to the original post. All replies to the thread, however, are to be strictly text only.

Can we have an explanation why?

I just don't understand the logic behind it and I feel that it is doomed to be an insufferably slow board because of this. Slow boards aren't necessarily bad, but there's a point where being too slow becomes a problem.
>>
File: 1443144767656.jpg (46 KB, 476x333) Image search: [Google]
1443144767656.jpg
46 KB, 476x333
>>367827
I think it has to do with corporations like The Associated Press being sticklers for sending DMCA notices on their copyrighted images. On a slow board that could be a problem.
>>
>>367841
I think that is retarded tbthwy.
>>
>>367827
>I feel that it is doomed to be an insufferably slow board because of this.
I disagree, I think it's slow because of the "5 posts at a time" rule that most people follow, but I agree the fact that it's a slow board isn't necessarily bad.. The biggest problem with /news/ so far imo is not the lack of pictures, it's that nobody posts on it.

But among those who do post, some people are changing their IPs to post more than 5 stories at a time. That NYTbot tripfag, for one. I can prove that some of those /int/ derailers did too. In these first few days the board is so slow that the fluff piece posting is the majority of all the posts because they kept changing their IPs. Maybe the 5 posts is too low a number for this board, i don't know, or maybe it's the only thing keeping it from being overrun with clickbait and tinfoil. Is 5 the number of threads allowed at a time on most or all other boards?
>>
>>367861
>The biggest problem with /news/ so far imo is not the lack of pictures, it's that nobody posts on it.
I think more people would post if they were able to reply with images.

It would be nice to find out why they don't allow images as replies even if that isn't necessarily the reason why it's slow.
>>
>>367863
>It would be nice to find out why they don't allow images as replies
I agree it would be nice to know.
>>
>>367827
Why do you need images? To spam /news/ with anime?
>>
>>367879
I never said I needed images, I'm just wanting to know why they don't allow them as replies on /news/. Can't you read?
>>
File: tb2.jpg (557 KB, 1891x1040) Image search: [Google]
tb2.jpg
557 KB, 1891x1040
I want to know why it's not an actual textboard.

It's literally just yotsuba without images.
>>
/news/ appears to be an attempt at recreating the old textboards. The focus on discussion rather than image posting also further differentiates it from /pol/.
>>
>>367880
because youre supposed to be discussing the story in the OP. not posting cheeky reaction images without any text in the comment.

think about the OP as the headline in a newspaper and the body of the thread to be an article.
>>
>>367889

The old textboards ran on outdated software and were constantly flooded with spam. This new format is probably much easier to moderate.
>>
>>367891
You could apply the same logic to pretty much all boards, so no, that is not the reason.

I would like Hiro or a mod to explain because none of us know why, we can only guess.
>>
>>367892
Maybe they wouldn't have been so spamful if the mods had done their jobs and moderated them.
>>
>>367895

Did you miss the part about "outdated software"?
>>
>>367898
If 4chan ran literal BBS software I would post on it. What's your point?
>>
>>367889
What's the difference?
>>
>>367898
What does that have to do with anything?
Once more it's the moderators' / devs' faults for not fucking moderating and developing.
>>
>>367895
No spam as in computers, not spam as in people.
>>
>>367901
>post numbers are per thread, not global.
>native ascii sjis support
>threads last longer (1,000 posts before thread is unbumpable), no need for low bump limit because no images.
>nice 2ch aesthetics.
>low bandwidth
>>
>>367905
>Low bandwidth

Gonna need to stop you right there. That simply isn't true compared to modern 4chan if you removed the images.
>>
>>367905
HIro could work with devs and make fancy CSS that would emulate that look and feel, but that would require effort...
>>
>>367906
>Gonna need to stop you right there.
well it was the end of the post
>>
The idea of /news/ is good, but only 10 people use it and 3 of them just complain about /pol/. If they banned liberal retards and had no other rules the board would be a lot more popular.
>>
>>367827
>>367841
People were asking for textboards, so hiro made one
>>
>>367863
>It would be nice to find out why they don't allow images as replies even if that isn't necessarily the reason why it's slow.
BECAUSE
IT'S
A
GODDAMN
TEXT
BOARD
Jesus fucking christ are you retards incapable of reading?
>>
>>367827
>Slow boards aren't necessarily bad, but there's a point where being too slow becomes a problem.
But it isn't a problem. Example being the shooting thread that was up the other day. It wasn't full of shitposting and you actually could follow what was going on unlike the /pol/ thread which was full of people trolling/shitposting and no real info.

>>367902
Why bother developing something when you can just use what has already been developed? The imageboard software has far better moderation tools and features than the old textboard system.
>>
>>368387
That isn't why, genius.
>>
>>368134
Nobody was asking for /news/ to be a textboard.
>>
>>368532
It is better this way. Stops it becoming another kind of /pol/ (both lefty/pol/ or normal /pol/).
>>
>>368533
>It's better this way
Not really, photojournalism is legitimate journalism too.
>Stops it becoming another kind of /pol/
No it doesn't. Look at the how the San Bernardino threads got derailed and all the race bait in the catalog.
>>
>>368536
>Not really, photojournalism is legitimate journalism too.
You have the OP image to post your photo. If people like it then they can click the link to go to the page.

>No it doesn't. Look at the how the San Bernardino threads got derailed and all the race bait in the catalog.
Did you see the /pol/ shooting sticky? It was basically unusable to actually discuss anything. At least /news/ had discussion.
>>
>>368537
If I wanted to post a thread of entirely pictures with captions of a news event, that's as much legitimate news as a 1500 word news article.

I can't do that on /news/ right now because ______. Nobody knows precisely why except for some vague notion that someone somewhere was asking for it.
>>
>>368542
I think I would take that sacrifice over people just people derailing threads with trying to go for dubs, frog posting, happy merchant, anime shitposting and so on. Also why can't you just link the picture as a hyperlink if you are really desperate for people to look at the pictures?
>>
>>368542
>>368530
>11/28/15 New trial text board added: /news/ - Current News
>text board
Is it so difficult to understand?
>>
>>368545
>I think I would take that sacrifice over people just people derailing threads with trying to go for dubs, frog posting, happy merchant, anime shitposting and so on.
That's my point, people are derailing threads already just with text, as they did in the San Bernardino threads. Yes, I saw the /pol/ sticky on the subject and saw the quality difference between /news/ and /pol/, but that doesn't excuse or justify what happened on /news/.

>Also why can't you just link the picture as a hyperlink if you are really desperate for people to look at the pictures?
I think you're missing the point that there is a legitimate branch of journalism called photojournalism. It isn't about people looking at pictures, it's those pictures telling a news story because a picture is literally worth 1000 words.
>>
>>368547
That doesn't explain WHY /news/ is a text board. Is that so hard to understand for you?
>>
>>368548
>That's my point, people are derailing threads already just with text
Not really much of a derail since things like gun laws are still secondary related to a shooting. Looking through the big thread and it seems fairly civil for the most part. If anything the one guy who came in going >>>/pol/ to those people is more offtopic than.

>but that doesn't excuse or justify what happened on /news/.
Why doesn't it? quality improvements over /pol/ is always a good thing.

>It isn't about people looking at pictures, it's those pictures telling a news story because a picture is literally worth 1000 words.
Yes, and? You have the OP image, and also the use of hyperlinks. What is so hard about using it that way?
>>
>>368554
>If anything the one guy who came in going >>>/pol/ to those people is more offtopic than.
Agreed, that derailed it just as much as the guys from /pol coming in and gloating that it's terrorism.

>Why doesn't it? quality improvements over /pol/ is always a good thing.
The quality improvements are marginal at best.
>>>/news/6093
>>>/news/6074
>>>/news/6068
>>>/news/6067
>>>/news/6060
>>>/news/6046
>>>/news/6045
>>>/news/6043

>Yes, and?
A thread full of nothing but photojournalism could tell a news story better than an article.

>You have the OP image, and also the use of hyperlinks. What is so hard about using it that way?
What's so hard about simply allowing images on an imageboard? People were asking for text boards back, true, and people were asking for /news/ back, but nobody was asking for /news/ to be a text board. I think Hiro got confused and that's the only reason /news/ is a text board right now, short of >>367841 .
>>
>>368556
>The quality improvements are marginal at best.
Cherry picking posts isn't a great way to convey quality. I can pick plenty of posts that are good and on topic if I like as well. Also any improvement is still an improvement.

>A thread full of nothing but photojournalism could tell a news story better than an article.
Just use the OP image and hyperlinks. What is so wrong with that?

>but nobody was asking for /news/ to be a text board
Well I am now saying I want /news/ to stay a text board and am glad it was made as one for reasons I have previously stated.
>>
>>368560
>Cherry picking posts isn't a great way to convey quality
Those posts aren't cherry picked, they are literally the last posts in the most current San Bernardino thread. Nothing was picked about them.

>Just use the OP image and hyperlinks. What is so wrong with that?
It runs contrary to every other board on 4chan for no explained reason. That's why this thread is here, people were asking what the reason was.
>Well I am now saying I want /news/ to stay a text board and am glad it was made as one for reasons I have previously stated.
I understand that but I strongly disagree with you, because like I was saying, photojournalism is a thing. Also, you apparently don't know why /news/ is a text board any more than I do.
>>
>>368565
>those posts aren't cherry picked, they are literally the last posts in the most current San Bernardino thread.
What about the 600+ post thread that was up as it happened? And is still up now.
>>4699
Is far more on topic and was pretty informative at times. Didn't even get derailed that much.

>It runs contrary to every other board on 4chan for no explained reason.
4chan use to have textboards so it really doesn't.

>I understand that but I strongly disagree with you, because like I was saying, photojournalism is a thing. Also, you apparently don't know why /news/ is a text board any more than I do.
I admit I don't and never said I did. I just like it the way it is and this the sacrifice of no images but the OP is worth it.
>>
>>368568
meant
>>>/news/4699
>>
>>368568
>What about the 600+ post thread that was up as it happened?
That thread also got derailed by /pol/ (or people purposely acting like /pol/).

>4chan use to have textboards so it really doesn't.
The text boards were removed years ago because nobody used them but spammers. Kind of like /news/ so far.
> I just like it the way it is and this the sacrifice of no images but the OP is worth it.
I really do respect your opinion as you are obviously one of the more quality posters on /news/ right now, however I'm going to keep fighting for at least an explanation as to why it needs to be a text board if not making it a full blown imageboard.
>>
>>368572
>That thread also got derailed by /pol/
People arguing about gun laws (since that was the only thing the thread sidetracked on to for a time) don't automatically make them /pol/. It is perfectly reasonable to mention gun laws in a news thread for a crime involving guns. Also If anything allowing images would have made the thread worse as then you would have people posting infographics everywhere. One click bait type infographic was posted as a hyperlink and got a few responses so could see it being far worse with people allowing to post images normally.

>>368572
>The text boards were removed years ago because nobody used them but spammers. Kind of like /news/ so far.
>spammers. Kind of like /news/ so far.
Bit harsh. It is nothing like /vip/ was with ascii images everywhere and things are still related to the topic, even if secondary. Also /prog/ was used and was one of the main groups asking for textboards to be brought back.

>I really do respect your opinion as you are obviously one of the more quality posters on /news/ right now, however I'm going to keep fighting for at least an explanation as to why it needs to be a text board if not making it a full blown imageboard.
I respect yours as well. So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on it.
>>
>>368550
Why the fuck would they create another news board that allows images if pol already exists? It's obvious that this is an alternative text board to pol. God damnit, you retards would bitch at /prog/ too.
>>
File: Hillary-Clinton-014[1].jpg (98 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
Hillary-Clinton-014[1].jpg
98 KB, 700x466
>>368615
Speaking as someone who regular posts on /pol/, it's a false dichotomy (called 'black or white fallacy' in the sticky) to say it has to be posted on either /news/ or /pol/. There is no reason why there can't be more than one board where it acceptable to post news. That isn't the point of /pol/ though, as where that *is* the point of /news/. In practice I think you would find that there would be different levels of discussion on both boards.
>>
>>368615
Because /news/ is specifically for current news.

Are you retarded?
>>
>>368615
/pol/
>What do you think of Donald Trump
>What do you think of GamerGate
>What do you think of Ben Garrison
>What do you think of chimplivesmatter

/pol/ can discuss political stuff going back a while, while /new/ is limited to articles that are 2 days old.
>>
File: 1448287482487.jpg (1 KB, 124x54) Image search: [Google]
1448287482487.jpg
1 KB, 124x54
>>368615
That said the text board idea is interesting, I think it'll just die as a slow piece of crap and therefore wasted for not being an image board, but it could be a success and regarded as a good 4chan board potentially. In that way it's a good experiment if it works, it could lead to a comeback of text boards, but I think most people expecting it to just be shit and therefore "why can't they have /n/ with images?".
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.