[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if 4chan had up/downvoting? I actually think it would be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6
File: nFn8U6a.png (20 KB, 1024x1049) Image search: [Google]
nFn8U6a.png
20 KB, 1024x1049
What if 4chan had up/downvoting? I actually think it would be a great idea.
>>
yeah but what if it didn't?
>>
>>351404
>down voted.
>>
>>351407
downvoted :^)

>>351406
It doesn't and I think it could use it. It's literally the one thing Reddit does better. *shot*
>>
上げ (bump) = upvote
下げ (sage, meaning "sinking, lowering") = downvote
>>
>>351404
Fuck off Reddit
>>
>>351404
Uh, you do realize that sage exists, right? Sage is a Japanese word that literally means 'vote down' and is supposed to be used when a thread is disagreeable. Spoiler alert: I sage'd your thread.
>>
>>351418
since mot made sage invisible i'm pretty sure there's a whole generation of newfags that have no idea it even exists
>>
1/10, I responded
>>
>>351418
>>351423
Sgging would be better if it was made visible. The problem with it is that you can only do it for the whole thread, not an individual comment, same with bumping.

Does anyone see what I'm getting at here?
>>
>>351439
Damn it, I meant "saging"
>>
>>351462
We should change "sage" to "sink" (>>351414). Either we say "age" and "sage" or we say "bump" and "sink". Having a mix of Japanese and English always sounded weird to me.
>>
OP here, as mentioned by this anon >>351008 the main problem with reddit's up/downvoting system is that unpopular opinions are obscured, while popular opinions are highlighted. My solution? 4chan shouldn't hide comments with a low score, or highlight comments with a high score. The score should be something off to the side that people can willfully ignore.
>>
>>351493
or maybe dont score shit at all
>>
>>351497
I want to be able to gauge the popularity of different comments. I don't want dissenting voices to be drowned out. Is this so hard to understand?
>>
>>351503
No one wants this place to be Reddit 2.0
>>
>>351508
Reddit is pretty much 4chan 2.0. 4chan is still superior in most ways, I just want it to be even better.
>>
>>351524
Please don't compare us to Reddit. But I agree we need to get better. We need more boards like /v/ split and more boards people want
>>
>>351530
Reddit is the tame, politically-correct version of 4chan. For some things this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I generally find 4chan to be a lot more fun.
>>
>>351404
Why do you like the taste of dick in your mouth and a fat dick in your ass?
>>
>>351545
I probably wouldn't mind it. You're talking to someone who's a 4 on the Kinsey scale here.
>>
>>351503
maybe you should gauge the comments based on their content in stead of an arbitrary score
>>
>>351548
That explains why you think this is a good idea, faggot
>>
>>351562
this but unironically
>>
>>351562
I would gauge most of the posts on here as being somewhere in the range of -10. I want to see what the group thinks.

>>351566
Lol. Homophobia is so middle school.
>>
>>351404
Please be joking.
>>
>>351573
>lol your on the wrong side of history, It's current year

Faggot :D
>>
>>351573
Do you really have nothing better to do than shitpost on a hidden board
>>
>>351573
why do you care so much about what the group thinks
are you incapable of coming by an opinion on your own?
>>
>>351576
I'm dead serious. I know it's a point of contention here, but I want to challenge the anti-reddit groupthink that's so prevalent here.

>>351577
Night school then? Very well.

>>351578
What can I say? I'm a NEET who spends nearly his whole day on here. I was ecstatic when I found out 4chan had a meta board. I tried starting a thread about this on /b/ once but no one paid attention to it.

>>351583
Sheer morbid fascination, my friend. Plus, I'd like to be able to pick out dissenting opinions from popular ones more easily, since the popular opinions on here tend to be fairly circlejerky.
>>
>>351577
does calling each other fags even have anythign to do with homophobia anymore
its kind of just a default here
>>
>>351588
Ah, see calling someone a *fag is one thing, as it's pretty much standard on here, actually connecting it to homosexuality on the other hand, like what was done in these posts is another:
>>351545
>>351566
>>
>>351587
>I'd like to be able to pick out dissenting opinions from popular ones more easily, since the popular opinions on here tend to be fairly circlejerky.
all of that you can tell by just reading the thread, In your case it seems like scores would just help one more person not actually read what was going on before posting
>>
>>351598
>implying this is a bad thing

Sometimes I post without looking at other people's posts. Do you actually think anyone just sits there and sifts through anything?
>>
>>351604
*everything
>>
>>351596
Cocktaking butt faggot can't afford his AIDS pills because of a smart and savvy rich entrepreneur lol
>>
>>351613
Joke's on you, I'm an autistic permavirgin. :^)
>>
>>351404
>>351439
>>351493
>>351503
>>351573
>>351587
>>351596
Holy shit I hope you're just shitposting.
>>
>>351621
I started out serious, but at this point, I am mostly just shitposting. No one else seems to share my opinions, how about that. Ironically I didn't even need upvotes to prove that. Still would be nice to have though.
>>
>>351618
I have bad news, anon
You're the joke
>>
>>351630
I know damn well I am. I'm a fucking waste of oxygen, and so is most of 4chan.
>>
>>351604
Yes faggot, I read a thread before I post.
>>
>>351634
At least you admit it
Acceptance is the first step to recovery
>>
>>351624
And now you see why we want you gone from 4chan. r/4chan sounds great for you though
>>
>>351630
There is nothing wrong with being a virgin. Pussy on the pedestal is reason number 1 as to why women are shit these days.
>>
>>351641
Whatever, figured I'd test the waters of /qa/. /r/4chan is shit though.

>>351642
This thread was pretty much done anyway.

>>351645
Amen to that. Why people get all worked up over a physical sensation, I do not get. Sex toy technology is advancing, and in the coming decades we'll all be fucking our own personal sexbots.
>>
All sage does is not bump a thread. In order to actually push a thread down, you need to bump a different thread that is currently lower on the board so that it jumps over the one you want down (And every other thread in between). If every single thread below this one got bumped all at once, it would make this one go to the very bottom of page 10.
>>
Up/downvotes on an anonymous board are dumb for the same reason Strawpoll is dumb. There's nothing to stop multivoting.
>>
I agree we need some sort of self moderation but I don't think down voting is the answer.

Just have threads auto - delete if it gets 50 reports and a post deletes if it gets 25 reports. Don't show how many reports a thread or post has since that would just encourage the shitters.

The numbers will have to be played around and slower boards probably need less reports for auto delete and faster threads need more reports.
>>
File: NOTTHISLANDREDDITMAN.jpg (22 KB, 440x231) Image search: [Google]
NOTTHISLANDREDDITMAN.jpg
22 KB, 440x231
Fucking reddit. I hate reddit. I specifically get on 4Chan every waking moment to make sure there is no reddit by bringing it up as much as possible. Did you guys know I hate reddit? I'm a goddamn hero for protecting this site against the reddit menace. Did you know that the only possible reason for anyone to disagree with me is because they're from reddit? Redditredditreddit. Mom forgot my hot pockets. Fucking reddit! My phone hasn't rung in three months. Fucking reddit again! They're everywhere.. plotting to take over my sekrit club that anyone can find using Google.. you're all fucking reddit, aren't you? All plotting against me... the pizza I ordered is late.. the delivery boy must be a fucking reddit user. FUCKING REDDIT!!!1!1
>>
>>351752
>Just have threads auto - delete if it gets 50 reports and a post deletes if it gets 25 reports.
Threads don't get that many posts naturally, even if they're CP. It would just encourage proxy voting. Protip: It was tried once (for CP reports, with a much lower threshold), and that is why we have captchas on reports now. Captchas don't stop proxyvoting, though, so it was dumb to add them.
>>
>>351752
Being able to censor entire threads is more than enough motivation for someone with dynamic IP to reset their modem 50 times.
>>
>>351493
Futaba has the upvote half of this on some boards.
>>
>>351758

Interesting.

So I guess my reporting isn't a waste of time.
>>
Some boards already have threads autosage if they get too many reports, which means that people reset their IP to force it, which makes the thread users abandon it to make a new one that isn't autosaging, which clutters the board with a bunch of identical, half-finished threads.

Or at least they used to. I haven't seen it happen in a while, which makes me think that they might have removed that dumb piece of code.
>>
>>351766

I've seen new threads auto sage on /v/ a few times. It's usually one crying about sjws. I figure it's a mod doing it so the shitters can get it out of their system for the time being since if they delete the thread they'll just make another one.
>>
>>351771
They should just move them to /pol/ where they belong.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 1862x66) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6 KB, 1862x66
ylilauta has upvotes, no downvotes, and all it does is show your appreciation of the post. It's an ok idea but it might make the circlejerk hivemind a bit too prominent. Still, it would be nice to see what the general opinion is when going into a thread.

it's not going to happen anyway, there would be a shitstorm the likes of which you had never seen before. Maybe as an Aprils fools joke it would work.
>>
GO BACK TO REDDIT
STOP TRYING TO SHIT UP MY 4CHAN
REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>351835
Downvoted
>>
>>351530

>hates reddit
>wants to split a board for the fourth fucking time

kill urself my man
>>
>>351787
Ylilauta is also connected with Facebook

No thanks
>>
Having a post rating system is stupid and pretty much dilutes discussion to agreeing with "the guy who has the most highly rated comment", it becomes less about the things said in the comment itself and becomes more of "What does this community think of what is being said?". Pure opinions would no longer mean shit because of fear of getting down rated to death for not following the popular group thinking.

To put it very simply, it can easily turn a discussion into a pure "Yes, I agree, this thing is totally cool, and that thing sucks" circlejerk, and ruins the great thing about 4chan, a site where you're more or less judged on your current actions and comment(s), rather than previous actions and general reputation (that is, unless you name/tripfag)
>>
>>351875
Yet you see fine with an up vote system, which is as Reddit as you can get
>>
I hate vote systems. Likes on YouTube, etc. are worthless.
>>
File: file.png (210 KB, 1125x893) Image search: [Google]
file.png
210 KB, 1125x893
Filters and custom CSS are fun.
>>
>>351917
> ruins the great thing about 4chan, a site where you're more or less judged on your current actions and comment(s), rather than previous actions and general reputation (that is, unless you name/tripfag)
Isn't that the point of anonymous posting?
>>
>>351751
OP here again, that's actually a pretty legit reason. I never thought of it, but you're right. I mean sure you could have a disclaimer like Slashdot's polls, but what would be the point?

And you know what, having gone back to reddit, it fucking sucks in comparison to 4chan. No one responds to you, threads can't be bumped, and there's far too much ego stroking and circlejerking. Not to mention, all the fucking normies. 4chan's format is beautiful the way it is.
>>
>>351404
>hey guys why dont we add one of the most retarded web deigns to 4chan something that is also incredibly hated here and the lack of features like it are why people use 4chan

Fuck off, fuck back off to reddit if you want that retarded shit, it doesn't belong here
>>
File: 1417199774231.png (93 KB, 221x328) Image search: [Google]
1417199774231.png
93 KB, 221x328
>>351404
KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>351404
Literally kill yourself you faggot

That shit would lead to bandwagoning and lack of discussion. This isn't facebook dumbass
>>
>>351404
Downvoted
>>
>no one mentions the upvotes userscript [s4s] made
>>
>>351787
hägersten
>>
>>351423
Sageing was visible on /b/ only last year
>>
One time this guy told me that he would shit on my truck and then he did.
>>
I don't understand the Reddit mentality at all.

I went to r/4chan and it was all shit memes and mundane posts getting upboated.

I went to r/creepypasta and 9/10 of the most upboated posts were garbage and the rest were shit I've already seen here.

I went to a bunch of other "subreddits" and the upboated threads were shit my mum wouldn't even find amusing if she saw it on Facebook.
>>
>>352773
Who gives a shit about [s4s]?
>>
>>353643
Ignorance

Most people who use reddit have probably never actually used any other online community before for more than a few minutes. As they spent more time they fall into the similar thought pattern as everyone else that is devolved and encouraged by its core website design

Amusing enough, most people in r/4chan probably don't even go to 4chan because they are scared of the environment and the few thousand in it that do are enough to shit the place up because 'le 4chan is for le shitposting'
>>
>>353648
Everybody with an IQ over 160
>>
>>352773
Nigga wat. Where can I find this?
>>
>>353654
Hence why people want to scare them out. Or at the very least split up their shithole called /v/ AND on top of that, word filter shit like Reddit, SJW, Tumblr, Facebook, and 9Gag
>>
>>351757
kek
>>
>>353643
r/4chan (and any other site regurgitating 4chan content) is for the people who like 4chan but are too afraid to actually post here. Which makes them pretty fucking bad.
>>
>>351404
i actually think it would be a great idea if you killed yourself
>>
>>351412
Surprised nobody has called you an idiot yet.

What the fuck do you think is the reason users of a primarily anonymous site hate a site with a popularity based system?

I'll give you 3 guesses.
>>
>>351465
its pronounced sah-geh you pleb
>>
>>351404
Are you mentally challenged?
>>
>>355436
If by "like 4chan" and "afraid to actually post" you mean that they like what an anonymous environment is capable of producing but are afraid to let go of their internet identities themselves, then I agree.
>>
>>351404
>>351412
>>351439
>>351573
>>351587
>>351596
>>351624
>>352199

0/10 Op, I almost thought you were a real landwhale cunt or a kiddy fedora faggot, but you made it too obvious and forgot to change the typing style in a few boards.
>>
>>355607
>>354131

>filter words that would trigger the actual ledditors into leaving will scare them

>ledditors are literally here

No wonder they are asking for so much shit lately. Glad that nipmoot don't read /qa/ so it's just said kids asking for crap and censorship all alone.
>>
>>355611
but I didn't ask for anything or even mention filters, what are you talking about?
>>
Why are people replying and bumping a meme request?
>>
>>355614
>dumb newfags from reddit don't know how quoting works

lurk moar.
>>
>>355616
Why are you bumping a meme request instead of sageing?
>>
>>355611
>Glad that nipmoot don't read /qa/ so it's just said kids asking for crap and censorship all alone.
>word filters is censorship
Found the redditor
>>
>>355618
But I'm not bumping it.
It's not my fault that we no longer have visible sage.
>>
>>355617
Fuck off retard.
my post had absolutely nothing to do with that other one you quoted.
>>
>>355445
4chan hates every non-anonymous site, regardless of ranking systems. And most anonymous sites fro that matter.
>>
>>355654
you're just saying 4chan hates everything.
but then why are we even having a thread about one thing in particular?
Obviously there are some things that are disliked by such a large percentage of the userbase that we take notice.
and a site that sorts content by popularity happens to be one of them, which should be no surprise.

Basically, the guy I quoted was saying 4chan could use what is literally the cause of most of the dislike of reddit, and what he considers to be its best feature
>>
>>355609
I never tried to change my typing style, brah. Good eye. I'd use a tripcode but people there hate those. *ducks*
>>
>>355624
>Waaaaaah stop twigurring mee! mommy halp me!!

Go shitpost about how much of a redditor you are and how much you want censorship on your sub, kid.
>>
>>355700
The funny thing is you're probably on the same side of things as I am. I've told you twice now I'm not the person you quoted

but my god I don't even think I want an idiot like you on my side anyway. I seriously have no idea where all the people like on /qa/ are coming from lately. You're just so up in arms about everything you can't stop and think for 5 seconds and end up fighting with the wrong people
>>
In all seriousness, it's a bad thing because it promotes hiveminding and the support of ideas or posts not because you like the content of it, but because other people do.

Kind of like when the first or second post of a thread gets a billion replies and afterwards people just reply to be part of the train.
>>
(You) is an upvote and not getting a reply is pretty much a downvote, this is reversed on /v/.
>>
>>351787
Fore!
[s4s] should have upvotes.
>>
>>351404
fuck off and die
People show appreciation for posts and topics here with crafted responses here, not 1-click populism
>>
>>352017
I like this idea. People who have posted on /tv/ get banned from /co/ for 5 days, I don't care if you keep me off /a/
Where'd the thread go?
>>
>>355654

>4chan is a single entity
>>
>>356518
Well, you're only one guy, the rest of 4chan is just me samefagging.
>>
>>355847

>afterwards people just reply to be part of the train.

Yeah that's pretty awful.

>150 replies
>hide popular post
>8 replies left visible
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.