[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I genuinely believe that classical education would fix the cultural
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: aristotle.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
aristotle.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
I genuinely believe that classical education would fix the cultural problem in this country within two generations.

Being taught logic, ethics, the arts, and rhetoric at a very young age has been endlessly beneficial to me throughout my life, and in my daily interactions I'm reminded of what a substantial advantage I have.

How many of you were classically educated?
>>
Does that mean your teacher had anal sex with you from a young age
>>
>>67577234
Should we teach Aristotelian logic and its associated metaphysics or modern symbolic logic? We need an emphasis on "definition" but not in the Aristotelian sense.
>>
>>67577234
>How many of you were classically educated?
Only in college, but I also realized how important the classics are. The teachings and lessons are much more substantive and practical than anything modern, the classics are truly timeless(minus some of the science of Aristotle).
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 650x400
Stoicism mandatory for k-12
>>
Classical education is the answer. But it's rayciss.
>>
>>67577693
I don't think metaphysics should be mandatory -- certainly not in the Aristotelian sense.

I think a good mandatory lesson plan would start with classical propositional and predicate logic, then work its way up to modal logic.
>>
>>67577478

First reply is genius. Thank you, my sides hurt from that.
>>
>>67578186
An expensive education is not very useful if there is no foundation of character to inspire the proper use of it.
>>
>>67577234
planning to teach my kids what I can of the classical world. I'm no expert but philosophy was my second major and I was obsessed with the Greeks, especially Aristotle and the Pre-Socratics. I've got a good library of classical literature and of stoic philosophy as well.

Make America great again, lads, one bit of ancient wisdom at a time.
>>
>>67577234
There are a number of different currents moving against this: 1) degenerate STEM fanboyism, 2) technocratic government ideologues.

One of the results of these two currents is the absurd idea that education is about preparing someone for a job or career. News flash: if you want to prepare someone for a "job" or "career" the last thing you want to give them is an education. An educated person will realize they are getting fucked up the ass.
>>
File: 1422342967094.png (209 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1422342967094.png
209 KB, 400x400
>>67580648
>>67577478
Yes, thank you for your input.

When internet archaeologists find this thread in a thousand years, the substance of your post won't amount to a moist arm-pit fart.
>>
File: IMAG0335.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0335.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
We need to start teaching our younger generations more than just knowledge and start teaching them manners and respect instead of feeding them the belief that you can do what you want and get away with it because you are half black or have a religion that allow anything and everything.
>>
>>67577234
I agree.

As important is learning civics. Our schools dont teach that anymore.

The elites or (jews) for /pol/ want education to be a training program not a path for living and participating in a nation.
>>
File: Ignacy_Lukasiewicz.jpg (104 KB, 356x486) Image search: [Google]
Ignacy_Lukasiewicz.jpg
104 KB, 356x486
>>67581127
Classical wasn't designed for the masses back in the days. The idea that it could somehow be adapted this way today is a rather novel idea. I don't think mass education was ever about something other than socializing the "common people".

This, I believe, is one of the biggest impediment to the application of a classical curriculum in the schools. I don't think it was ever meant for a general populace.

>>67580316
>I don't think metaphysics should be mandatory -- certainly not in the Aristotelian sense.

But is not Aristotelian logic closely tied with his metaphysics? It can be made purely formal but then it become so abstract as to be uninteresting. In modern times, formal logic is usually thought in the context of its application to mathematics, the point being that the usefulness of logic is then demonstrated to its use in crafting proofs. I believe many of the Aristotelian discourses can be seen as application of Aristotelian logic, which then ends up given it its justification.

Aristotelian logic needs term in order to function. Those terms need to be defined. The art of definition is the art of perceiving the essence of things, which leads you straight into metaphysics. Anyway, that's the way it appears to me.
>>
Classik educashin iz raysiss
>>
>>67583574
>But is not Aristotelian logic closely tied with his metaphysics?

Yes it is, and to the extent that it can be generally useful, I think it is a good thing to learn.
>>
>>67582594
Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is lighter than a feather.

hah, always thought Robert Jordan made that up, not that it was an actual quote.

Rather good either way.
>>
>>67577234
>>67586124

RAPE MADE LEGAL
>>
File: rudolf_carnap_3.jpg (82 KB, 1344x1344) Image search: [Google]
rudolf_carnap_3.jpg
82 KB, 1344x1344
>>67586300
I just have a problem with it because of the affinity I have with movement like logical positivism, whose goal was to abolish metaphysics.
>>
File: 1458062636193.png (254 KB, 536x345) Image search: [Google]
1458062636193.png
254 KB, 536x345
>>67577478

EVERY TIME

FIRST POST

BEST POST
>>
File: russell.jpg (57 KB, 300x376) Image search: [Google]
russell.jpg
57 KB, 300x376
>>67587278
likewise.
>>
>>67581127
this
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.