[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compare the Pair
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: Shit-tier V God-tier.png (636 KB, 911x491) Image search: [Google]
Shit-tier V God-tier.png
636 KB, 911x491
Which pack in /out/s oppinion is better?
not the packs themselves but more the style and type difference.
I long for a condor II but can't afford one just yet however the only packs anyone in Australia sells is the type on the left, why is this? You can get surplus gear but its worn to shit most of the time and surplus stores give no shits about anything being quality.

Whats your opinion and explain.
>>
The type on the left is better for me. I don't need indestructible heavy fabric nor PALS for any of the things I'm doing.

I'd say most people going /out/ are in a similar situation and the type on the right gets the majority of its sales from people who pretend they are in the military. If anyone disagrees, let me know why.
>>
I got my large alice pack in Aus with a decent frame and no real defects (bag had a few minor repairs to it, frame was in fine condition and ended up spray painting it dull black), ended up purchasing a woodland camo medium without anything wrong with it
>>
>>620379
Depends what you want it for.
>Tall pack good for backpacking, comfortable, good waist strap.
>Wide pack good for combat. Better peripheral vision, doesn't knock against helmet, narrow waist strap doesn't get in way of battle belt, easier to remove if getting shot at.

In short, you're in Aussie, land with highest number of serial killers/backpacker murderers in the world and you can't carry a gun. Go with an Alice pack.
>>
>>620384

Though my ex also purchased a $30 aldi special pack which was reminiscent of the left in OP, have to say I couldn't find anything wrong with it
>>
File: 1439381726919.jpg (61 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1439381726919.jpg
61 KB, 480x720
>>620382
I wouldn't go ask far as saying 'pretend', usually these people tend to go for the the gears first. Gears like blades and guns.

And these gears are usually associated with such military/tactical appeal. It isn't just about aesthetic though, the bags on the right has MOLLE/PALS that complements the sheath of these weaponry.

Me, personally, I carry the one on the right thats because 1. I was from the military, 2. I like the modular system. 3. I have stronk body to carry this heavier pack.
>>
>>620389
>it isn't just about aesthetics because the bag compliments my tacticool sheaths and weapons
>>
>>620393
Yeah, I can understand how it may sound that way. But what I meant was the MOLLE system that allows the sheath to be attached unto the pack. You can't do that with the bag on the left.
>>
>>620394
Its called needle and thread.
>>
>>620446
In his defence a factory made molle system is likely to be a shitload more durable than a home job.
>>
>>620379

The left one (stye) is hands down better, more comfortable during long hikes.

HOWEVER I love the molle system and the versatility of military shit.

So my answer is Arcteryx LEAF all the way. The best of both worlds
>>
Heads up OP Check this shit out
The bag on the left is the only one you'll need.
It represents /out/.
The bag on the right is total /k/ and bug out euphoria.
From a douche that thought it was cool to look like a tactical faggot I realize now that the ergonomics from the bag on the left is so beyond fucking helpful it was astronomical.
You can only travel so far with that BOB but with the outdoor bag you'll make it with ease.
>>
As someone who has used the condor ii for three years, I can say it is by no means ideal for /out/ stuff. However, it is durable as fuck and I doubt I'll ever need to replace it. I love the molle and how you can pick the whole bag up by the zippers without fucking it. It's heavy as shit though and really starts to get uncomfortable after ~5 miles. If you do a lot of car camping or day trips it works pretty good. If you're doing anything multi day or long term left is def better.
>>
>>620502

I just checked that pack, the waist strap ain't worth shit. You have to look into thick waist straps that are comparable with bags on the left. Pics related its the hazard4 officer
>>
>>620379
I prefer left style, I just wish they had more lash points like 90s style packs did for versatility. Don't need full molle though.
>>
>>620470
Are you me?
>>
I have a MR Crewcab that is more like the pack in the right. Also have a Kifaru timberline that is more like the pack on the left.

The MR goes on easy hikes on flat terrain where I might need to carry a big load. So antelope hunting in southern WY, for instance. Good it all up and pack in light, then unfold it to stuff an entire antelop in the cargo section. Briars and rocks and blood and crap don't tear it up, and is has plenty of space for hauling gear.

On the down side it is heavy as shit.

The Kifaru is for tough terrain. So goat hunting in MT. It carries heavy loads just as well though they need to be packed against the frame. Isn't a modular but weighs half as much.

Anyway, I wouldn't even consider pack without a proper waist belt. And I wouldn't consider an internal frame given the strides externals have made lately. Other than that pack choice really depends on what you intend to do.
>>
Ausfag here. Got a pack via Amazon the other day. Why are you limiting yourself? Afraid to buy anything you can't try on in person?
I can't fault you for that but we know that causes us grief.
>>
>>620386
>killers/backpacker murderers
any data to prove it?
>>
>>620389
>I was from the military

That's they key. That's the only time using a military pack is acceptable. Otherwise you're a tryhard poser.
>>
I have a Dana Design Glacier I've been using every year since 2003. It's starting to give up the ghost; some of the stitching is giving way, and it's got some thin spots on the ripstop. It's great for carrying bigass heavy loads, but honestly, gear's gotten lighter, and I've gotten older.

Most of my carrying is now done in a Fjallraven #21 Rucksack, which is fucking grand. I can still easily pack enough to backpack for days in it, and it's smaller, more maneuverable, and forces me to consider what I bring.

About two years ago, I had to have back surgery, as I'd completely destroyed a disc in my lumbar over the years. Now, I can't carry a 50-60 lb pack for miles. It's just too painful. My Fjallraven has taught me something of great importance: you need to be selective about what you bring.

I've been backpacking for over 20 years at this point. I've literally never encountered a true omg life and death situation. The two worst things I've ever encountered were a hungry black bear (which I scared off with a pistol shot in the air), and a two week hike on the AT during a very, very dry season a little over a decade ago, during which water was TIGHT.

All the eventualities I've planned for, all the shit I've been ready to handle, I've never needed to. A water filter, a weapon, something to cook with, some food, water, shelter, navigation equipment, my gun, and a couple sharp things has always been more than enough.

So, which one? For me, it's the one on the left. I'm tired of carrying shit I don't absolutely need. If I'm /out/, I want to enjoy the /out/, not the REI on my back.
>>
>>620624
yes
tell me more about me
>>
>>620379

I don't understand people using heavy military packs for backpacking when there are better designed packs like the one on the left that will be much easier to carry.

That said, it's not all about comfort for everyone, and if you're not hiking more than 8 miles or so, a military pack is probably okay. It's all about what inspires you or enables you to get /out/. I would go out much less if I was carrying 50 pounds on my back, and I think it's fun to minimize my gear and eliminate unnecessary weight. If a military pack makes you feel more rugged and prepared, then that's what does it for you and what really counts. As long as it helps you get /out/.
>>
File: P1020275.jpg (4 MB, 3776x2520) Image search: [Google]
P1020275.jpg
4 MB, 3776x2520
>>620561
Go for Deuter packs, they are the most accessorized pack.
>>
>>620910
I tend to avoid tacticool shit for two reasons:

1. It's not practical.
I own a bag like the one on the right and I'm embarrassed that I do. It's a horribly cumbersome bag that you literally have to under pack in order for it to feel right. It has no frame support so all the weight is on your shoulders. Also the bag itself is unnecessarily heavy.

2. I don't want to be poser (anymore)
I finally moved away from military looking crap when some guy was convinced I had been in the army at one point because of the field jacket I was wearing. I felt like such a douching poser. I just thought it looked cool, but I wasn't trying to pretend I was in the army. I tend to avoid anything olive drab at this point.

Wearing mill is fine if you were mill but for anyone else, its beyond gay. Especially when civ equipment is good enough or better than depending on what you're doing.
>>
>>621069
>Wearing mill is fine if you were mill but for anyone else, its beyond gay.

Being a military veteran myself, I would have to disagree. If somebody is pretty broke and can pick up an old alice pack for $30 until they get something else, they're going to get something pretty durable and practical for the money. Might not be the most comfortable, but on a budget like that it's the best they're going to get and will be leaps and bounds better than a civy ruck in that range.

If you have the money though there is literally no reason to buy tacticool molle bullshit. Just overpriced, doesn't always fit well, might be rugged and well constructed depending on the manufacturer/materials though. Overall though not really worth it to drop $200+ on some zombie survival backpack with molle on it since if you took the time to shop around you could get a great ruck with a great frame that disperses the weight a lot better. The only use outside of my IOTV I found for molle was for my etool and to throw a canteen on my ruck.

I've had a camelbak backpack, one of the larger ones I believe they stopped making them, since before I joined the army and I think maybe since my sog has a molle sheath I put it on there once? Maybe? Point being is that it's not really all that useful. I mean are you going to cover your entire backpack with pouches or something and take 100% advantage of all that molle webbing, then snag all your shit on some tree branches?

I'm not necessarily telling people that they are faggots and they shouldn't get it, but don't buy one of those expensive molle backpacks for a backpacking trip and expect my to take you seriously, when I know full well that you could have gotten something much better for the job, likely for a better price.
>>
>>621099
I guess you can still buy it from camelbak actually, but they only have coyote available.

http://shop.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/motherlodediscontinued/d/1101_c_401

Mine is in black and damn I'm glad I got it as a gift for joining the army. It's the only remotely military thing I'll take out, with the exception of my poly pros and my field jacket liner. For just taking it out hiking for the day it's not too bad, and has plenty of space to use to take to the airport or something along those lines. If I saw somebody who wasn't in the military using it or anything similar I could really care less, unless they were trying to take it on a backpacking trip or just something impractical. Then I would start to make assumptions about their intelligence.
>>
>>621099
Another vet here, you can get an ALICE pack and frame for cheap and mod it for MOLLE. It's a good inexpensive way to get out and you can get used to it, though civilian gear tends to be more comfortable.
It just depends on your budget really.
>>
>>620634
>Wolf Creek
>Ivan Milat
>Snowtown
>Childers
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-31-07-06-19.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-31-07-06-19.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
I bought this bag for hunting and as a general travel bag. I figured the MOLLE straps would be good for holding ammunition pouches and such. Did I make a mistake?
>>
>>621298
>Another vet here, you can get an ALICE pack and frame for cheap and mod it for MOLLE. It's a good inexpensive way to get out and you can get used to it, though civilian gear tends to be more comfortable.
It just depends on your budget really.
Exactly. The only time I'd really have a problem with it is if somebody is a civy and has all kinds of unit patches and maybe rank patches on it. On my camelback it's the perfect size to have my rank/name/us army patch.

>>621611
Not necessarily. Like I said if you shopped around and found something you liked that fit your purposes well and you paid a decent price then it's all good. I have no idea how that much that backpack costs, but being able to have a couple external mag pouches is nice, but you don't need necessarily need molle for that. Seems like you got it for the right reasons though.
>>
>>621659
Even if you were in the military, why would you put patches on your bag once you are out?
>>
>>621662

>>611286
>>
File: 20150919_103859.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20150919_103859.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
>>621662
So you can feel cool

>>621611
I have had this bag for 5 years taken it on many hikes and ventures and recently dropped it 200 feet into a canyon with no damage.

It's a great bag only issue is that the molle straps on front are sewn too close together so it's a chore to put acessories on mine.

But really for 30-50 bucks it is well worth the money and i couldnt be happier with my purchase

Pic is where my bag fell off
>>
File: 96509805.jpg (574 KB, 754x600) Image search: [Google]
96509805.jpg
574 KB, 754x600
>>620379
go for the tactical schoolbag. it represents you best.
>>
>>621662
Because army guys are just like girl scouts, they wear berets and get patches and ribbons for everything they do
>>
>>621659
>>621679
Thanks for the replies!

>>621679
What area was that pic taken?
>>
>>620470
So much this.
>>
>>620379
"Military" backpacks have more usable pockets and they're generally stronger fabric and made better. There are good 'civilian' looking backpacks, but they're very expensive and not an option for most people here.

People who have problem with olive drab and Molle are themselves /fa/ faggots.

Backpacks like the one on the left are built to show, Maxpedition is built to go. The only disadvantage is the heavier weight and rather high price.

>It's all about what other people think of you vs. what works for you. You're not very /out/ if you put the fashion first and functionality second.
>>
>>622111
>>>/k/
Olive drab is just bad reasoning. When /out/, you want a backpack with bright colours, just in case you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to be found. Also, military backpacks are heavy af. My maxpedition falcon is durable, sure, but it's atleast three times the weight of my 70l osprey.
>>
>>622195
>When /out/, you want a backpack with bright colours, just in case you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to be found.

not everybody want to be found. I go hiking because I want become part of the surroundings/nature.
>>
>>622208
And you can't do that with a red pack?
>>
>>622111
Do people actually believe this?
>>
>>622215
yep, it´s true
>>
>>622195
tbf if you have a bright article of clothing/tarp you don't need a bright bag to be found.

I like a bright bag anyways because it's easier for me to find when I leave it somewhere.
>>
>>620502

>condor

Anon... that company makes cheap knockoffs for airsofters. They look the part but that's it.
>>
>>622208
>not everyone wants to be found
This is me. It's hard to find a 'normal' backpack with neutral colours. Luckily I like olive drab as a colour.

>>622430
>condor
like there's any difference between /out/ a
>>
>>622430
Condor (The company) is what you described.
Maxpedition Condor II (The backpack) is what he is describing.

Kind reminder to return to your high school English class.
>>
>>622843
>Maxpedition Condor II
The hip belt looks worthless, do people usually replace it with a real one?
>>
Horses for courses. Depending on time of year and type/length of trip I'll use either a,

Golite ultralight bag. 65l and weighs like 850g. Actually very durable but shit organisation, light shoulder straps and no frame so doesn't carry heavy weight well. Good 3 season bag.

80l blue highlander rucksack. Basically a massive tube. Great for winter. Organisation non existent but honestly all my kit is subdivided into pouches and dry bags. OK suspension system but uncomfortable above 18kg. Use this in the winter mostly or for 2+ nights due to extra space.

A camelbak trizip. Smallest bag, and also the heaviest. But it also has the most comfortable suspension system. Lots of organisation but because of size no good for more than an overnighter. Gets lots of use as a day bag.

End of the day zero fucks are given I'll use what I want.

As long as you're using gear from an informed perspective it doesn't matter whether it's tactical, hiking, traditional or whatever.
>>
>>621599
Wow. At least you got dubs.
>>
File: IMG_20151019_185357.jpg (540 KB, 1152x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151019_185357.jpg
540 KB, 1152x1440
>>620379
I have the maxpedition and it's a great pack. Been my daily woods beater/get home bag for around 6 years now. Only downside is the belt isn't padded so you really have to watch your weight when packing it. Sometimes posting photos from my phone is a pain, but I'll watch this thread and try to help if I can.
>>
Truthfully it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. General /out/ gear is ugly as fuck. All of it. I was in a store last night that sold really high end gear and just laughed at some of the stuff. I mean yeah, it's all functional and I'd never say otherwise but it looks so pretentious. The rich people piling in to buy the crap was amazingly depressing and the owner of the place boasted on and on about how much money he was making. Tacticool isn't any better but there has to be some middle ground that doesn't make you look like a yuppie tourist or a 2nd division militia for an african dictator.
>>
File: hellcat3.jpg (45 KB, 422x561) Image search: [Google]
hellcat3.jpg
45 KB, 422x561
>>621298
here I have a Drago Gear Tracker for EDC and day hikes and a medium modded ALICE to the "Hellcat" for longer than that
>>
>>623044
So much this, I can't strike a good balance somewhere in among the spectrum (as I see it)
tacticool gear fag, paintball enthusiasts, el cheapo surplus, day car camper school bag, hi speed ultralight space age spork, $glamper$

I'm cheap, I'm not a survivalist, I'm not in a militia and î've never served, if my stormtroopers patch, star trek engineer patch and odd colored pouches on my sog pack are offensive to others, I'm truly sorry for their lack of humor.
>>
5 years ago

>Walked into local surplus store
>Bought Medium Alice Pack with frame, waist strap, and shoulder straps
>$40, super comfy
>Months later figured I could use a lighter weight pack too, maybe something smaller
>Goes back and buys some old ruck sack and jurry rigs waist belt onto it
>$20

I've never needed another pack since. Just how I role I guess.

I get the attraction towards Osprey packs and Condor/Maxpedition though. Because I'm less of a thru hiker and more of a hunter I don't need anything fancy, a friend of mine lent me an Osprey though, Jesus was that comfy. Not for hauling gear though, antlers or hangers would poke right through the side, more for Ultra-Light hiking guys (which is also fun). Never seen the need for a Condor or Maxpedition as I'm not assaulting a bunker, but I see the allure. If they were cheaper I'd probably buy one. Just not practical for me price wise when ole' ALICE can haul a deer with a few bungees or some rope.
>>
>>623485
>I'm not a survivalist
Nobody is. Those who are did it out of necessity and life or death. They don't give themselves a title, they survived. Others just give themselves a title that makes them feel like what they're doing isn't insanely stupid.
>>
>>622910
Ivan Milat and a backpacker drive into Belanglo State Forest.
Backpacker say, "Gee, its spooky out here, isn't it?"
Ivan says, "You think you're spooked? I've got to drive out of there by myself."
>>
>>623498
There's a reason the military used ALICE packs for so long.
MOLLE while nice for organization trades off some of the benefits from the ALICE, though like >>623054 you can make an ALICE more comfortable.
>>
>>624321
There's also a reason they brought in an recreational sporting equipment company in to bring them into the current century.
>>
>>624354
For tactical advantages yes. It's why we were issued a camelbak for Iraq yet went with 70s flak jackets before getting interceptor vests mid deployment.
>>
I have this bag and it is awesome
>kelty cloud 90
>about $225 but worth every penny
>>
>>624155
I'm aware of Ivan Milat but listing Wolf Creek?
>>
>>620379
Get an used A.L.I.C.E. pack
>>
>>624392
Meh, sorry, meant Barrow Creek.
> I guarantee that Falconio wasn't the only person Murdoch killed.
>>
>>624386
I bought the same Kelty Red Cloud at Campsaver.com for $146 now it's in the $224 range. Love the bag.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.